PDA

View Full Version : Leaving GB, good for somes careers

Patler
09-23-2019, 12:15 PM
We have had examples in the past like Hayward and Hyde upping their performances.
Tretter finding health.
Randall finding his position.

Now we have Matthews finding the fountain of youth. He had a sack in each of the first two games, then two more last night for a season total of 4 already, after having just 3.5 all of last year In the three years before that he had just 7.5, 5.0 and 6.5 sacks. He has 1 PDef, after getting none last year, and 2 FF in three games , after having no more than 1 since 2014.

Tony Oday
09-23-2019, 12:24 PM
We have had examples in the past like Hayward and Hyde upping their performances.
Tretter finding health.
Randall finding his position.

Now we have Matthews finding the fountain of youth. He had a sack in each of the first two games, then two more last night for a season total of 4 already, after having just 3.5 all of last year In the three years before that he had just 7.5, 5.0 and 6.5 sacks. He has 1 PDef, after getting none last year, and 2 FF in three games , after having no more than 1 since 2014.

Until his hamstring blows up.

mraynrand
09-23-2019, 12:25 PM
He has 1 PED after getting none last year

FIFY.

No doubt Clay is in a good situation to be more successful. For the last several years he was the only fish in pretty shallow pond. And for whatever reason, he was playing like a guppy.

Hyde and Blue Emo (Randall) are similarly situated.

Good to see Hayward without hammy pulls. I suspect if you test the Fox river you may find higher than the EPA allowable levels of anti-hammy toxins.

gbgary
09-23-2019, 12:47 PM
Until his hamstring blows up.

i don't think he's had a hammy problem for a long time. broken thumb, shoulder problem one year.

Tony Oday
09-23-2019, 01:11 PM
2016 was his Hammy but he gets hurt all the time.

George Cumby
09-23-2019, 02:42 PM
Insert “Moons Over My Hammy” joke here.

RashanGary
09-23-2019, 02:48 PM
Was Randall benched this week?

pbmax
09-23-2019, 02:54 PM
Was Randall benched this week?

Concussion.

run pMc
09-25-2019, 11:23 AM
I wonder if they have Clay on a snap count and that has him fresher? Also having Brockers and Donald pushing the pocket with Fowler on the other side probably helps. That defense has a lot of good players (Weddle, Peters, Ebukam, et al.); I suspect being less of a centerpiece helps.
Also, Wade Phillips is a bad HC but a very good DC.

Agree Randall shoulda been a safety.

bobblehead
09-25-2019, 12:46 PM
I wonder if they have Clay on a snap count and that has him fresher? Also having Brockers and Donald pushing the pocket with Fowler on the other side probably helps. That defense has a lot of good players (Weddle, Peters, Ebukam, et al.); I suspect being less of a centerpiece helps.
Also, Wade Phillips is a bad HC but a very good DC.

Agree Randall shoulda been a safety.

I haven't watched a game yet this year, but I have a question. Is he bending the edge or being employed across the line in more of a Patrick Willis role as I suggested he should have been for the last 5 years.

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2019, 01:59 PM
I've seen three of his sacks this year. On two of them he was blocked for several seconds and lucked into the sacks, Fackrell like. One that was a coverage sack. Seemed like the QB held the ball for 5 seconds. The second where He did nothing but Donald got pressure and the QB scrambled into his waiting arms. The other was a decent rush. He's almost exclusively coming off the edge with in an occasional drop into coverage.

mraynrand
09-25-2019, 02:01 PM
I've seen three of his sacks this year. On two of them he was blocked for several seconds and lucked into the sacks, Fackrell like. One that was a coverage sack. Seemed like the QB held the ball for 5 seconds. The second where He did nothing but Donald got pressure and the QB scrambled into his waiting arms. The other was a decent rush. He's almost exclusively coming off the edge with in an occasional drop into coverage.

The few times I've seen him drop, he didn't look good. Took wrong guy, seems slow. Too bad, unless we play 'em in January. :)

pbmax
09-25-2019, 02:12 PM
Hard to factor how much teammates matter here, as the Rams pass rush is obviously more talented than the Packer pass rush last few years.

But I wonder how much of that explains his career. Cullen Jenkins wasn't here for most of it.

red
09-25-2019, 06:55 PM
in other news, randall cobb is on his usual pacr to have between 600-800 yards

i laughed when national pundits called him a good signing and one of the reasons that dallas offense would be so good this year

guy had 1 good year

Patler
09-30-2019, 02:57 AM
Matthews with another sack, 2 TFLs and 1 QBH in week 4.

mraynrand
09-30-2019, 06:23 AM
Matthews with another sack, 2 TFLs and 1 QBH in week 4.

blink *looks at 55 points on the scoreboard* blink

call_me_ishmael
09-30-2019, 04:12 PM
Stop the presses. Marshmellow Newhouse is really the starting left tackle for Tom Brady?????????????????????

pbmax
09-30-2019, 04:25 PM
Stop the presses. Marshmellow Newhouse is really the starting left tackle for Tom Brady?????????????????????

That is why pin point passer Brady only managed 9 points on offense.

Bretsky
09-30-2019, 07:32 PM
Do we REALLY have 3 WR's on the Packer Roster that run better routes and offer more than Trevor Davis ??????????????

Patler
09-30-2019, 07:55 PM
Do we REALLY have 3 WR's on the Packer Roster that run better routes and offer more than Trevor Davis ??????????????

Not a high standard, so I would say yes, absolutely.
Trevor Davis contributed nothing as a WR. I would take any of the current roster WRs over him.

As for punt returns, Shepard looks very much more comfortable and confident fielding the kicks than Davis ever did. He looks natural, Davis looked like he struggled to field them cleanly.

Kickoffs, who cares. Rarely returned anyway.

Bretsky
09-30-2019, 08:03 PM
Trevor Davis contributed nothing as a WR. I would take any of the current roster WRs over him.

As for punt returns, Shepard looks very much more comfortable and confident fielding the kicks than Davis ever did. He looks natural, Davis looked like he struggled to field them cleanly.

Kickoffs, who cares. Rarely returned anyway.

I thought Davis looked OK and was a guy who actually got open in the preseason

I'd take Adams and MVS over him for sure. Allison....not sure...he's a JAG imo.
The others....pass.

Davis contributed nicely for Da Raiders as a rusher and returner. Chucky must like him. Time will tell

Fritz
10-01-2019, 11:22 AM
I will say that I saw Davis's TD run. It was blocked so well no one touched him. My sister could have scored on that play.

bobblehead
10-01-2019, 12:42 PM
I will say that I saw Davis's TD run. It was blocked so well no one touched him. My sister could have scored on that play.

Too many good jokes about scoring with your sister here....I can't pick just one.

mraynrand
10-01-2019, 01:09 PM
Trevor Davis contributed nothing as a WR.

Not surprising when you get four snaps and one target.

Patler
10-01-2019, 03:47 PM
Not surprising when you get four snaps and one target.

I suspect there was a reason he got only four snaps and one target, and why he rarely played on offense other years.
I will be shocked 8f he turns out to be a hidden gem, or eve a serviceable WR who plays regularly.

mraynrand
10-01-2019, 04:29 PM
I suspect there was a reason he got only four snaps and one target, and why he rarely played on offense other years.
I will be shocked 8f he turns out to be a hidden gem, or eve a serviceable WR who plays regularly.

I know, I know. But he looked better this year. Was hoping he would pan out. I'm sure Gruden will make his bank on the back of Davis. lol

Patler
10-02-2019, 09:23 AM
I thought Davis looked OK and was a guy who actually got open in the preseason

I'd take Adams and MVS over him for sure. Allison....not sure...he's a JAG imo.
The others....pass.

Davis contributed nicely for Da Raiders as a rusher and returner. Chucky must like him. Time will tell

Allison may be JAG, but he has been JAG who has come through every now and then in regular season games, including a couple nice plays against the Eagles last week. Davis hasn't ever done that as a WR in regular season games.

As for this preseason, what did Davis REALLY show? Did he really show more than Kumerow, Shepherd or Lazard? I don't think he did. He had 5 receptions with a long of 20. Shepherd, Kumerow and Lazard had 9, 8 and 6; with longs of 22, 22 and 27.

I'll take Kumerow over Davis as a WR. He did more in just five games played last year as Davis had done in 29 games his first 3 years with GB.

I'm a believer in the opinion that by his fourth year, except in rare cases, a player is what he will be. With that in mind, as a receiver, Davis is nothing. I'm willing to give Shepherd and Lazard chances to show what they can be. I was willing to take both over Davis after the preseason.

I won't be surprised if Davis has some good kick/punt returns. He is fast, with some quickness. That said, I held my breath everytime he fielded a punt. After just 2 games, I already feel a lot better with Shepherd back there.

mraynrand
10-02-2019, 09:30 AM
Allison may be JAG, but he has been JAG who has come through every now and then in regular season games, including a couple nice plays against the Eagles last week. Davis hasn't ever done that as a WR in regular season games.

He did have a single important catch when Rodgers threw to him. Honestly, the major plus I saw to him was his speed. Thought it would get him open in ways that might help the entire offense. Agree with you on the fielding of punts. He does have more return potential than Sheppard, but also re-turnover potential. Oh well, I'm done thinking about it now. Reminds me of hoping that Travis Jervey will turn out to be a good running back.

pbmax
10-02-2019, 09:53 AM
He did have a single important catch when Rodgers threw to him. Honestly, the major plus I saw to him was his speed. Thought it would get him open in ways that might help the entire offense. Agree with you on the fielding of punts. He does have more return potential than Sheppard, but also re-turnover potential. Oh well, I'm done thinking about it now. Reminds me of hoping that Travis Jervey will turn out to be a good running back.

His best moments came from sitting down in a hole in the zone. He's an odd duck.

Patler
10-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Reminds me of hoping that Travis Jervey will turn out to be a good running back.

… or Jeff Janis a good receiver, although Janis did have his moments.

mraynrand
10-07-2019, 10:16 AM
Tyreek Davis: 4/4, 42 yards receiving, 52 yard KO return against the Bears.

pbmax
10-07-2019, 10:56 AM
Tyreek Davis: 4/4, 42 yards receiving, 52 yard KO return against the Bears.

And one fumble that hurt. Was a brutal strip though. He had both arms around the ball.

Patler
10-07-2019, 10:04 PM
Matthews with another sack this week, 1 TFL and two QB hits. Six sacks in five games, at least one in each game.

pbmax
10-07-2019, 10:22 PM
Matthews with another sack this week, 1 TFL and two QB hits. Six sacks in five games, at least one in each game.

Due back in Week 10 after they wired his jaw shut. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/07/rams-hope-to-get-clay-matthews-back-in-week-10/

Bretsky
10-07-2019, 10:39 PM
Davis caught as many balls against a Stellar defense as our entier WR core did against the Cowboys.

Not arguing he's really all that good; just better than half the J.A.G.S. we're sending out to play WR and not get open.

Patler
10-08-2019, 12:54 AM
Due back in Week 10 after they wired his jaw shut. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/07/rams-hope-to-get-clay-matthews-back-in-week-10/

I had not seen that! Tough injury.