PDA

View Full Version : JS Poppinga Article

Bretsky
09-11-2006, 01:36 AM
Chicago views Poppinga as Packers' weakest link on defense
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 11, 2006
Green Bay - Not many linebackers in Green Bay over the past few years have been taken advantage of quite to the extent that Brady Poppinga was victimized Sunday by the Chicago Bears.

Still a certifiable project at outside linebacker, Poppinga allowed tight end Desmond Clark to have a field day at his expense in the Bears' 26-0 rout of the Packers at Lambeau Field.

"They came after me," the strong-side linebacker said. "They got me. I'm not going to deny that."

Clark, a pedestrian eight-year veteran, finished with five receptions for 77 yards, and all of the damage came against Poppinga. The Bears generally have been devoid of production from the tight end since Emery Moorehead enjoyed some decent seasons in the 1980s.

Before that, you'd have to go back to Hall of Famer Mike Ditka in the 1960s to find a dominant tight end.

The Bears probably took one look at the Packers' defense on exhibition tape, saw Poppinga trying to make the move to linebacker from his time at Brigham Young generally spent as a defensive end and decided to see if he could cover.

At times, offensive coordinator Ron Turner was successful moving the 245-pound Poppinga into space by shifting Clark to a split-receiver position. He caught a hitch for 5 yards from that formation.

Most of Clark's damage, however, came from conventional sets when he simply beat Poppinga.

The biggest play to the one-time Denver Bronco was a 33-yard completion late in the first quarter. Poppinga gave Clark an inside release, didn't get a good jam and then had to chase futilely as Rex Grossman's long pass easily was completed over his head.

"It's a man coverage so the help is inside," Poppinga said. "I have to get a better jam on him. When I jammed I lunged a little bit and got out of position. That's what created separation."

After getting Poppinga in trail position, Clark then cut to the outside and really left him in the lurch.

"At the very least I have to annoy him," Poppinga said. "When he made a cut outside and my help was inside, he was going to be wide open."

In the second half, Grossman completed first-down passes of 19 and 11 yards to Clark in which the coverage by Poppinga was pretty good.

"On both of them I thought I'd knocked them down," Poppinga said. "He just threaded the needle."

The Packers have a veteran option on the strong side in former Brown Ben Taylor, who clearly is better in coverage than Poppinga. But Poppinga offers better speed, more robustness against the run and superior pass rush. Given the team's rebuilding mode, it's unlikely the coaches would start the veteran over a second-year player with promise.

Poppinga, who will be 27 in 10 days, is married and the father of two. Uncommonly mature after having spent two years on a Mormon mission, he is eager for practice this week.

"I believe God gives us weaknesses and we'll be humbled," he said. "He gives them to us so we'll have something to work toward. I think if I can turn this weakness into a strength, I can be one heck of a player."

Based on unofficial press-box totals, Poppinga made seven solo tackles and one assist. He said his run fits and stoutness at the point of attack were solid and didn't recall missing a tackle.

From the Sept. 11, 2006

OS PA
09-11-2006, 01:47 AM
Poppinga had 7 solo tackles and 1 assist today. Damn was he targeted.

FritzDontBlitz
09-11-2006, 05:11 AM
i just don't understand how the consensus is to keep poppinga on the field when his pass coverage skills are so horrendous. they had ahmad carroll in for him on passing downs but taylor needs to be the starter because he has more experience playing in the nfl. and experience is the one thing the packers desperately need on defense right now - all i saw was constant confusion and miscommunication in the back 7. counting popping, manuel, woodson and hawk they have 4 new bodies back there out of 7, obviously way too many right now. i say let taylor take over and work poppinga in slowly as his recognition improves...

Fritz
09-11-2006, 05:33 AM
It's too soon, way too soon, for this panicky stuff. Poppinga got beat bad when he didn't jam Clark, the other times he was right there but just missed batting the ball down. He's still new at this stuff - if he's not making plays by the bye, then get him out. But give him a few games, at least.

ND72
09-11-2006, 07:47 AM
he was only "right there" cause the Bears saw he sucked, and took full advantage. Many Play Actions to Jones were suppose to be POOPinga's job also, but he got sucked into the backfield, and either Jones or McKie slid out into the flat where he was suppose to be. He should be pulled NOW. if he's a Project at 27, by the time he might be worth anything he's 30...move him to DE, then at least we don't need to see TE's running all over us...can't wait til we play a GOOD TE.

Bretsky
09-11-2006, 07:50 AM
He made Desmond Clark into an all pro; he's just not ready to be a starter.
And if you were at the game scanning the whole field of action Poppinga looked even worse in coverage. If throwing all the young guys into the pan to see how well they fry then I guess you keep him in; if you are trying to put your best team on the field to win now then you do not

B

ND72
09-11-2006, 07:51 AM
yuppers, I was at the game and routinely held my breath...he was usually stuck in space, not knowing where to go, or sucked into the backfield.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2006, 07:54 AM
This is Poppinga's first game as a starter (well, maybe he started 1 game last year, I forget), he's coming off major surgery, and had limited practice time this summer.

DO NOT GIVE UP ON POPPINGA! This is as ridiculous as saying Jennings ought to be benched because he had trouble in his first game.

If around the 5th or 6th game, Poppinga still hasn't caught on, then make a switch.

This is a rebuilding year, team has to make painful investment in young players, even if it ultimately doesn't pan-out in all cases.

Bretsky
09-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Poppinga hasn't shown me anything to indicate he can start.

I'm not giving up on him; the announcement was puzzling as heck in the first place. He started one game last year and then I think another (Minnesota)before getting hurt. He was lost yesterday; I don't like seeing guys exposed that bad. He was not ready.

B

KYPack
09-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Poppinga is so far from where he needs to be to start, that it would actually inhibit his development to start the guy.

His confidence is at a low ebb. And his skills in coverage just qain't there. He's got a double problem, he doesn't know what to do & lacks the skill set to do his job.

He's gonna be 27 in a few days. I just don't know if he'll learn the position while he's still effective physically.

I know you always fight for the oppressed and root for the underdog.

But sometimes, the underdog needs a little suppression. This is one of those times. Pop just doesn't have what it takes to start in this league. In a year or two, maybe, but not now.

red
09-11-2006, 08:05 AM
i don't get way a change wasn't made during the game. they saw we had a weak spot, they went after. we had to notice that our guy was a weak spot that was being attacked and burned.

why wasn't taylor brought in at that point? he was the starter all preseason and proved to be pretty reliable. why not put him in and see if he could do better, he certainly couldn't do worse in coverage

we're starting to get that sherman look, like if the thing we planned for all week doesn't work out, we'll have no clue how to fix the problem during the game

did we try to double muchy, after he started to burn us left and right? i think we just kept manning up on him

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Pop just doesn't have what it takes to start in this league. In a year or two, maybe, but not now.

In two years he'll be getting ready to retire! It's now or never. You say never, I say now.

I know you don't like Poppinga a whole lot. I want to give him a few games, he's flashed enough to me.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Poppinga is so far from where he needs to be to start, that it would actually inhibit his development to start the guy.

I'm with you on this. People need to earn starts, and not just be handed them based on youth and/or potential. Not that Popp is any spring chicken.

wist43
09-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Poppinga will be fine... I haven't watched the tape yet, but I did watch him a little bit.

From what I payed attention to, he played the run very tough, disengaged from blockers very well, and moved pretty well in space. His deficiencies in coverage will be addressed thru experience and improved technique.

I have no doubt that Poppinga will be a good player.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2006, 08:27 AM
wist, I wish more of the nattling nabobs of negativism around here would adopt some of your optimistic spirit.

KYPack
09-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Pop just doesn't have what it takes to start in this league. In a year or two, maybe, but not now.

In two years he'll be getting ready to retire! It's now or never. You say never, I say now.

I know you don't like Poppinga a whole lot. I want to give him a few games, he's flashed enough to me.

Well ya, we disagree on this one.

It isn't that I dislike Pop, I love the guy. We need a few more hustlers that wanna hit people the second they leave the locker room. He just ain't ready to be a starting SAM in the NFL.

He can help us on ST, situation substitution (3rd down rush mainly), and backup at SAM & Will. He might learn how to cover, but he won't learn coverage while getting his ass beat down after down. He needs film study with the staff and work at practice. His reads and technique are nowhere near where they need to be.

May be he'll never start, he's got a long way to go.

There is no sense asking a player to do a task he can't possibly accomplish. That's what starting Pop is doing, hurting the guy rather than teaching him.

RIPackerFan
09-11-2006, 08:29 AM
You have to expect this from rookies and second year players. If we are going to play them, they are going to have bad games and make rookie mistakes.

This is a rebuilding year - and I have a feeling that they will not take any young guys out if they show potential.

While Poppinga didn't play well, he certainly did some good things.

He will be in the starting lineup this week.

wist43
09-11-2006, 08:32 AM
wist, I wish more of the nattling nabobs of negativism around here would adopt some of your optimistic spirit.

Yeah, what's up with that???

You know we're in trouble if I'm the voice of optimism... lol.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2006, 08:32 AM
He might learn how to cover, but he won't learn coverage while getting his ass beat down after down. He needs film study with the

Jennings got his ass kicked at the line of scrimmage yesterday. The Bears defensive backs schooled him with hard chucking.

Do you think Jennings is going to get better by benching him and having him watch film?

Scott Campbell
09-11-2006, 08:35 AM
The difference with Jennings is that he doesn't have anybody behind him pushing for PT.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2006, 08:37 AM

Yeah, what the hell happened? You're like Tony Robbins now.

Fritz
09-11-2006, 08:39 AM
If we can all just admit it's a rebuilding year, maybe things will be easier to take. Let's see what Pop's got in the next four games - whether he has the capability or not.

Bretsky
09-11-2006, 08:43 AM
He might learn how to cover, but he won't learn coverage while getting his ass beat down after down. He needs film study with the

Jennings got his ass kicked at the line of scrimmage yesterday. The Bears defensive backs schooled him with hard chucking.

Do you think Jennings is going to get better by benching him and having him watch film?

That's a silly comparison.

Jennings has nobody backing him up and has flasched 5x more ability in the preaseason that Pop has flashed as a Packer. Green Bay has an adequate player in Taylor sitting on the bench and a player with higher upside in Hodge sitting on the bench. Guys got a great name but what people see in him beyond the name and special teams is beyond me. I hope I'm proven wrong, but no way should this guy have started Sunday.
Blame the player...blame the coaches...but we put a guy on the field who was NOWHERE near ready to start and the Bears played him like silly putty.

Bretsky
09-11-2006, 08:44 AM

Is Tex really disguising himself as Wist ?? :wink: :mrgreen:

KYPack
09-11-2006, 08:46 AM

Two totally different situations.

Jennings needs to learn some technique to get off the line. He's not that far away from being an effective player.
Pop doesn't know what's happening and needs to have some basis for his covers. He's lost. He needs skull work to bring his level of play way up. He hurts the team if he starts at this stage of his career.

Good to see you posting, BTW.

Bretsky
09-11-2006, 08:46 AM
If we can all just admit it's a rebuilding year, maybe things will be easier to take. Let's see what Pop's got in the next four games - whether he has the capability or not.

Admitting we are rebuilding is different than admitting we should put players in the starting lineup that are not ready.

But you are right; witnessing yesterday serves as a reality that we are nowhere near where we need to be; coming to that reality will make it easier to watch the rest of the year.

B

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2006, 08:48 AM
we put a guy on the field who was NOWHERE near ready to start and the Bears played him like silly putty.

nowhere near? now you're hyperventilating. I saw some replays where Pop did a good job in coverage. (I suppose that's rather faint praise, like congradulating Dick Cheney for the shots where he didn't hit his hunting partner.)

Pop was good enough to get a sniff at starter last year. The coach's are aware that they have a capable player in Taylor sitting behind him, obviously they see considerable upside or they wouldn't have stuck him on the field after so little practice time.

Give it a few games. Then you can say "I told you so" if Pop doesn't improve.

red
09-11-2006, 08:49 AM

Admitting we are rebuilding is different than admitting we should put players in the starting lineup that are not ready.

But you are right; witnessing yesterday serves as a reality that we are nowhere near where we need to be; coming to that reality will make it easier to watch the rest of the year.

B

reality is that we are two years into the rebuilding process, we had 35 million dollars to play with this offseason, and somehow we might be a worse team then we were last year

rebuilding DOES NOT take 5 years in todays nfl when you have the cap space

red
09-11-2006, 08:50 AM
we put a guy on the field who was NOWHERE near ready to start and the Bears played him like silly putty.

nowhere near? now you're hyperventilating. I saw some replays where Pop did a good job in coverage. (I suppose that's rather faint praise, like congradulating Dick Cheney for the shots where he didn't hit his hunting partner.)

ROFL

Patler
09-11-2006, 08:57 AM
From what I payed attention to, he ... moved pretty well in space.

I hope you aren't serious with that comment.

Poppinga's biggest problem is that in space he moves like a DE, which of course is what he was. He does not have the fluid movements a linebacker needs. He didn't have it last year before the injury, he doesn't have it know. Unless he can learn to jam and hold up a tightend, keeping him from getting into his route, Poppinga will always be a liability in pass coverage. He may improve, but he is unlikely to ever be good at it.

run pMc
09-11-2006, 09:09 AM
If he's such a good run stuffer, why not put him at MLB?

Yeah yeah, I know GB has Barnett and Hodge. It was just a thought. Popp sounds like a 2 down player at best. I think he has ability & a good motor, but the promotion to starter was a surprise to me. I thought Taylor was doing just OK.

Popp is basically a 27 year old rookie; there must be some reason they started him. If he's a better run def. than Taylor, but Taylor is better in passing, the coaches must substitute them in/out better.

Patler
09-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Pop was good enough to get a sniff at starter last year.

That's true, but last year his competion at linebacker included Lenon, Manning, Thomas and to some extent Diggs. They were thought so highly of that all are gone.

Poppinga isn't just acclimating himself to the pro game, he is literally just learning how to play linebacker. He missed most of training camp last year and again this year. That's when most of the basic teaching and learning occurs, especially for players in a new position. That's when the repetitive drills are used to improve footwork, positioning, use of hands, leverage etc. Practices now will focus more on game preparation, running through plays, alignments, etc. It will be tough for Poppinga to get the basic work that he needs.

wist43
09-11-2006, 09:51 AM

Poppinga's biggest problem is that in space he moves like a DE, which of course is what he was. He does not have the fluid movements a linebacker needs. He didn't have it last year before the injury, he doesn't have it know. Unless he can learn to jam and hold up a tightend, keeping him from getting into his route, Poppinga will always be a liability in pass coverage. He may improve, but he is unlikely to ever be good at it.

Coverage will always be his achilles heel, but with experience and improved technique I'm sure he'll at least be adequate.

As I said, I'll try to watch the tape tonight, but from what I saw of Poppinga, he looked very tough against the run and took proper angles - the Packers are in desperate need his toughness and pass rush ability... Poppinga has to be on the field, and we'll just have to live with some growing pains.

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 09:53 AM
If he was a DE, then why not give him some snaps at DE? Let him play to his strengths?

Patler
09-11-2006, 09:54 AM

Coverage will always be his achilles heel, but with experience and improved technique I'm sure he'll at least be adequate.

As I said, I'll try to watch the tape tonight, but from what I saw of Poppinga, he looked very tough against the run and took proper angles - the Packers are in desperate need his toughness and pass rush ability... Poppinga has to be on the field, and we'll just have to live with some growing pains.

Hopefully someone can teach him how to prevent a TE from getting into a route, because I think he will always struggle to stay with TEs away from the line of scrimmage.

red
09-11-2006, 09:59 AM
If he was a DE, then why not give him some snaps at DE? Let him play to his strengths?

i said this a month or so ago, and everyone looked at me like a was shitting out of my eyes

why do we have to move everyone out of the position they know? does our organization feel that they are that much smarter then all these college and high scholl coaches?