PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers vs. Eagles Discussion Thread

Joemailman
09-25-2019, 04:31 PM
Z Smith listed as questionable. He has a knee. Kumerow and Fackrell questionable. Burks and Mt. Adams out.

run pMc
09-26-2019, 07:05 AM
Iggles are really beat up and travelling on a short week. Go 5 wide and flood the secondary?

They are also desperate, so Pedersen will pull out all the stops...so Shawn Mennenga better have his ST ready.

Tony Oday
09-26-2019, 08:04 AM
I think this is a trap game. We should crush them but in the end we lose.

pbmax
09-26-2019, 08:15 AM
^

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7TKPgQyqrm23Rxlu/giphy.gif

Anti-Polar Bear
09-26-2019, 08:27 AM
What happened to the discussion thread started by Harrell?

pbmax
09-26-2019, 09:35 AM
Rashan is refusing to follow the Official thread format. So he keeps getting missed.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?31085-On-to-the-next-one-week-4-Eagle-game-week-discussion

Fritz
09-26-2019, 11:23 AM
Rashan is refusing to follow the Official thread format. So he keeps getting missed.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?31085-On-to-the-next-one-week-4-Eagle-game-week-discussion

Scintillating discussion here, so far.

I am not sure I've ever seen less excitement about a 3 - 0 team. However, I suppose we are all seasoned enough to know that it's a long season.

I think the Eagles are still a very good team that hasn't played well so far. I am hoping this not playing well does not begin to change tonight for them.

I wonder if Aaron Jones is feeling up to snuff - he didn't look quite right on Sunday.

Tony Oday
09-26-2019, 11:35 AM
I cannot believe how good Z Smith, P Smith and Bulaga have played so far this year.

I cannot believe how bad AR, Allison and everyone except Davante in the WR Corp and TE's have been.

mraynrand
09-26-2019, 11:43 AM
Scintillating discussion here, so far.

I am not sure I've ever seen less excitement about a 3 - 0 team. However, I suppose we are all seasoned enough to know that it's a long season.

I think the Eagles are still a very good team that hasn't played well so far. I am hoping this not playing well does not begin to change tonight for them.

I wonder if Aaron Jones is feeling up to snuff - he didn't look quite right on Sunday.

I feel like there's been way too much focus on the problems with the offense, than the success of the defense. Human nature I guess. Bears fans are no different (ugh, I almost puked...).

I am tremendously excited by the play of the defense and the secondary in particular. King is the weak link - well, Greene giving way to Redmond probably the weakest. But J'xander is such a tremendous athlete and competitor is so much fun to watch. And Savage (The Guided Missile™) just keeps getting better and better.

Also, got to love the pass rush and forcing TOs. What a free agency bonanza this year has been.

This year could be the best GM year since 2000.

Watch Jenkins tonight. He has a real challenge on his hands, but man did he play well against the Broncos. He was handing out more pancakes than a BoyScout Church brunch.

mraynrand
09-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Packer O struggle a bit with 8 man coverage drops. They did have a nice screen called against one of 'em, but short options are covered pretty well in those situations. Look for Rodgers maybe to run on one of those. He right now has the lowest rushing yards for any three game stretch in his career. With those 8 man coverages, if pressure comes right away Rodgers says "Dirt it and move on to the next play."

Guiness
09-26-2019, 01:05 PM
Also, got to love the pass rush and forcing TOs. What a free agency bonanza this year has been.

I wonder what Mathews would look like in this D?

I feel like the last couple of years he's languished. Not much else at OLB, shortages at ILB forced him inside. He said the Packers didn't make him an offer, but I don't think the scheme has changed much and he would've fit at his old OLB position.

OTOH I like who the Pack have there, and would rather have a young Gary than an old Mathews as the 4th guy.

bobblehead
09-26-2019, 01:11 PM
An Owl contending team doesn't lose on Thur at home. Period.

mraynrand
09-26-2019, 01:18 PM
I wonder what Mathews would look like in this D?

I feel like the last couple of years he's languished. Not much else at OLB, shortages at ILB forced him inside. He said the Packers didn't make him an offer, but I don't think the scheme has changed much and he would've fit at his old OLB position.

OTOH I like who the Pack have there, and would rather have a young Gary than an old Mathews as the 4th guy.

First, I would assume Clay doesn't start. And at first you would assume Matthews taking snaps away from Fackrell or Gary, but then lose out to Gary. But then, would he take a lot of snaps from Fackrell? Fackrell is actually better than Clay in coverage I think, so Clay would be useful when injuries crop up, but he'd struggle to get a lot of snaps, especially as Gary comes on. $$$ not worth it, overall, even though I think he would do better opposite either Smith than he did last year. Now maybe if he were the ILB opposite Martinez he'd get more snaps, but I'm pretty sure at this point that he can't do that all that well, and won't get any better. So you lose tackling for coverage there because you have a safety in that spot, but since it's a passing league, maybe overall you're better off.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-26-2019, 01:41 PM

Last I read, there were some discussions about some chick named Hope. I thought that might have something to do with the thread disappearing. Or am I delusional?

Fritz
09-26-2019, 02:10 PM
I feel like there's been way too much focus on the problems with the offense, than the success of the defense. Human nature I guess. Bears fans are no different (ugh, I almost puked...).

I am tremendously excited by the play of the defense and the secondary in particular. King is the weak link - well, Greene giving way to Redmond probably the weakest. But J'xander is such a tremendous athlete and competitor is so much fun to watch. And Savage (The Guided Missile™) just keeps getting better and better.

This year could be the best GM year since 2000.

Watch Jenkins tonight. He has a real challenge on his hands, but man did he play well against the Broncos. He was handing out more pancakes than a BoyScout Church brunch.

I have said before, and will repeat now, that I've always been much more comfortable watching the Packers when the defense is good but the offense is not so good (as opposed to the other way around) - not that this has happened much in the past decade or three. So, like you, I too am really enjoying this season, because you can count on the defense. For that reason, 2011 was my least favorite year - even though the team was winning and the offense was going up and down the field, I hated knowing the defense was an absolute sieve.

mraynrand
09-26-2019, 02:47 PM
I have said before, and will repeat now, that I've always been much more comfortable watching the Packers when the defense is good but the offense is not so good (as opposed to the other way around) - not that this has happened much in the past decade or three. So, like you, I too am really enjoying this season, because you can count on the defense. For that reason, 2011 was my least favorite year - even though the team was winning and the offense was going up and down the field, I hated knowing the defense was an absolute sieve.

Yeah, that season started to feel like '83, where even though they had a juggernaut offense, the defense just couldn't hold up. But like most teams that rely on offense, some team eventually comes along and puts them in their place. '97 Packers got punked, '98 Vikings got punked, and the 2007/2011 Packers and Patriots got punked by the same team. Defense wins championships. In 1996 and 2010 and hopefully for the Packers in 2019!

mraynrand
09-26-2019, 02:49 PM
Last I read, there were some discussions about some chick named Hope. I thought that might have something to do with the thread disappearing. Or am I delusional?

I hope not! Keep Hope alive!

https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/styles/inline_gallery_desktop/public/swimsuit/2011/47tirRkEt0NtIH.jpg?itok=UOeoL9uI

hoosier
09-26-2019, 03:06 PM
Yeah, that season started to feel like '83, where even though they had a juggernaut offense, the defense just couldn't hold up. But like most teams that rely on offense, some team eventually comes along and puts them in their place. '97 Packers got punked, '98 Vikings got punked, and the 2007/2011 Packers and Patriots got punked by the same team. Defense wins championships. In 1996 and 2010 and hopefully for the Packers in 2019!

Defense wins championships: Sometimes. And sometimes balance wins championships. And sometimes a good offense lets an ok defense look like a good one. And sometimes (not quite as often) bad defenses win championships, either because the offense is elite or because one unit becomes dominant. 2011 Giants are a good example. 1997 Packer defense was actually quite good statistically, better than Denver's. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef/1997I suspect the difference between the two teams boiled down to game planning and who wanted it more.

mraynrand
09-26-2019, 03:12 PM
Defense wins championships: Sometimes. And sometimes balance wins championships. And sometimes a good offense lets an ok defense look like a good one. And sometimes (not quite as often) bad defenses win championships, either because the offense is elite or because one unit becomes dominant. 2011 Giants are a good example. 1997 Packer defense was actually quite good statistically, better than Denver's. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef/1997I suspect the difference between the two teams boiled down to game planning and who wanted it more.

I take your point, up to a point.

Denver's defense played better when it mattered most.

Anyone know offhand the worst defense to win a Super Bowl?

Joemailman
09-26-2019, 03:17 PM
2009 Saints were ranked 25th in Yardage. However, they did force 45 turnovers.

mraynrand
09-26-2019, 03:22 PM
2009 Saints were ranked 25th in Yardage. However, they did force 45 turnovers.

What a bounty!

hoosier
09-26-2019, 03:46 PM
I take your point, up to a point.

Denver's defense played better when it mattered most.

Anyone know offhand the worst defense to win a Super Bowl?

Depends on how you measure your wurst. If you go by DVOA, looks like it would be '76 Raiders at +9.4%. 2006 Coats come in as second worst at +8.5%. Worst defense in history of NFL championships is 1964 Browns at a whopping +19.85. If you prefer florid metaphors to cold numbers, that's not a sieve it's a hole you could drive a truck through. As a point of contrast, 2011 Packers defensive efficiency was +12.1%.

mraynrand
09-26-2019, 03:56 PM
Worst defense in history of NFL championships is 1964 Browns at a whopping +19.85.

The exception that proves the rule!

And the Colts were both #1 offense and defense too. Those road championship games are a killer...

gbgary
09-26-2019, 05:10 PM
dicey game tonight. phi D isn't great but it doesn't have to be since we can barely sustain a drive. their O is going to be a real test for the D. again i think it's going to be a low scoring affair with them attacking our weakened middle. hopefully the scripted plays and our D can get us a win.

Spaulding
09-26-2019, 10:03 PM
Gary sucks. His rush from the left was almost to Ashwaubanon before he turned in.. No chance to get to the Wentz in time to make an impact play.