PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Packer trades:

packrulz
04-16-2006, 02:00 PM
04/02/76 QB Lynn Dickey from Houston Oilers for QB John Hadl, DB Ken Ellis, 1976 fourth-round draft choice (through Philadelphia) and 1977 third-round choice Bart Starr
09/17/81 WR John Jefferson from San Diego for WR Aundra Thompson, 1982 second-round draft choice, 1983 first-round selection and 1984 second-round choice; teams also traded positions in 1982 draft Bart Starr
06/10/82 First-round draft choice (CB Tim Lewis) from Pittsburgh for DL Bruce Clark Bart Starr
07/17/84 1985 seventh-round draft choice (LB Eric Wilson) from Minnesota for K Jan Stenerud Forrest Gregg
4/30/85 1985 first-round draft choice (T Ken Ruettgers) and 1986 fourth-round selection (LB Tim Harris) from Buffalo for first- and second-round choices in 1985 draft Forrest Gregg
09/05/85 DB Mossy Cade from San Diego for 1986 first-round draft choice and fifth-rounder (conditional) in 1987 Forrest Gregg
04/14/87 1987 third-round choice (WR Frankie Neal) and 1988 fourth-round selection (NT Rollin Putzier) from L.A. Raiders for WR James Lofton Forrest Gregg/
Tom Braatz
10/09/90 1991 seventh-round draft pick (LB Frank Blevins) for RB Brent Fullwood Lindy Infante/
Tom Braatz
04/21/91 1991 first-round draft pick (CB Vinnie Clark) and 1992 first-round draft choice (17th overall, later dealt to Atlanta in Favre trade) from Philadelphia for 1991 first-round selection Lindy Infante/
Tom Braatz
02/01/92 T Tootie Robbins from Phoenix Cardinals for 1992 sixth-round draft choice Ron Wolf
02/12/92 QB Brett Favre from Atlanta for 1992 first-round choice (17th overall, through Phi.; Atlanta then dealt choice to Dallas for 19th selection and fourth-round 1992 choice; Dallas chose CB Kevin Smith with No. 17) Ron Wolf
04/26/92 1992 fourth- (RB Edgar Bennett), fifth- (WR Orlando McKay) and sixth-round (TE Mark Chmura) choices from San Francisco for 1992 fourth- and eighth-round selections Ron Wolf
04/25/93 1993 first- (S George Teague) and fourth-round (later dealt to Chi. Bears) draft choices from Dallas for four 1993 Packers choices: both Packers' second-round picks (including one through San Francisco), a fourth-rounder (through Atlanta), and an eighth-round selection Ron Wolf
04/24/94 1994 first-round selection (G Aaron Taylor) from Miami for 1994 first- and third-round choices Ron Wolf
04/24/94 1994 third-round compensatory choice (RB LeShon Johnson), 1994 fifth-round selection, (RB Dorsey Levens, through Denver), sixth-round choice (LB Ruffin Hamilton, through San Diego), and sixth-round compensatory choice (LB Paul Duckworth, through Philadelphia) from San Francisco for 1994 second-round choice. Ron Wolf
04/22/95 1995 first-round supplemental selection (DB Craig Newsome), and 1995 third- (DT Darius Holland), and sixth-round (WR Charlie Simmons) choices from Carolina for 1995 first- and sixth-round choices Ron Wolf
04/22/95 1995 third- (FB William Henderson) and fifth-round (RB Travis Jervey) picks from Jacksonville for QB Mark Brunell Ron Wolf
06/27/96 DB Eugene Robinson from Seattle for DE Matt LaBounty Ron Wolf
04/18/98 1998 first-round selection (DT Vonnie Holliday) from Miami for 1998 first- and second-round choices Ron Wolf
08/30/98 1999 seventh-round draft choice (WR Donald Driver) from Chicago Bears for RB Glyn Milburn Ron Wolf
04/15/00 RB Ahman Green and 2000 fifth-round selection (WR/KR Joey Jamison) from Seattle for CB Fred Vinson and 2000 sixth-round draft choice Ron Wolf
04/16/00 2000 fourth-round selection (LB Na'il Diggs) from San Francisco for 2000 fourth- and fifth-round choices Ron Wolf
08/26/00 CB/KR Allen Rossum from Philadelphia for 2001 fifth-round draft choice Ron Wolf
03/05/01 2001 first- (DE Jamal Reynolds) and third-round (LB Torrance Marshall) choices from Seattle for QB Matt Hasselbeck and 2001 first-round selection Ron Wolf
04/21/01 2001 second- (WR Robert Ferguson), third- (DB Bhawoh Jue) and fourth-round selections (G Bill Ferrario) from San Francisco for 2001 second-, third- and sixth-round choices, and Saints' 2001 third-round pick (Aaron Brooks trade) and Rams' 2001 seventh-round choice (Mike Morton trade) Ron Wolf
/21/02 2002 first-round selection (WR Javon Walker) and 2002 fifth-round choice (DL Aaron Kampman) from Seattle for 2002 first- and second-round choices Mike Sherman
02/28/03 CB Al Harris and 2003 fourth-round draft choice from Philadelphia for 2003 second-round pick; Packers traded Eagles' choice to Buffalo with 2003 third-round selection for Bills' 2003 second-round pick (DT Kenny Peterson) Mike Sherman
02/28/03 Sixth-round 2004 selection from Dallas for WR Terry Glenn Mike Sherman

Harlan Huckleby
04-16-2006, 05:45 PM
03/05/01 2001 first- (DE Jamal Reynolds) and third-round (LB Torrance Marshall) choices from Seattle for QB Matt Hasselbeck and 2001 first-round selection Ron Wolf

ouch Of course Wolf still claims he wanted Zach Thomas, or whoever that MLB was.

Bretsky
04-16-2006, 06:30 PM

ouch Of course Wolf still claims he wanted Zach Thomas, or whoever that MLB was.

DAN MORGAN

ND72
04-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Dan Morgan was selected Number 11 in that draft, the pick after us.

Bretsky
04-16-2006, 09:00 PM

Maybe I misunderstood HH's info, but if he was looking for the guy Wolf claims he had higher than Jamal Reynolds than that was Dan Morgan.

that trade turned out to be Reynolds and Torrence Marshall for Hasslebeck and Steve Hutchinson. One of the worst ever.

billy_oliver880
04-16-2006, 09:03 PM

Maybe I misunderstood HH's info, but if he was looking for the guy Wolf claims he had higher than Jamal Reynolds than that was Dan Morgan.

that trade turned out to be Reynolds and Torrence Marshall for Hasslebeck and Steve Hutchinson. One of the worst ever.

Even worse the minnesota trade with dallas for Hershel Walker?

Partial
04-16-2006, 09:03 PM
boy in retrospect that trade really set us back. We traded two perrenial pro-bowlers and top 5 players at their position in the league for two schmoes who aren't on NFL rosters today. Ouch.

Harlan Huckleby
04-16-2006, 09:08 PM
ya, Dan Morgan, I was thinking Miami, but Carolina guy.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Players Mike Sherman acquired via trade: Walker, Kampman, Harris, Glenn. All solid starters, all within three years; 32-16 record; won division 3 times. Never gone 4-12.

Beat that thompson!

Sherman was a good gm; compared to thompson, Sherman is great.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Players Mike Sherman acquired via trade: Walker, Kampman, Harris, Glenn. All solid starters, all within three years; 32-16 record; won division 3 times. Never gone 4-12.

Beat that thompson!

Sherman was a good gm; compared to thompson, Sherman was great.And how long did it take Walker, Kampman, Glenn, and Harris to develop? How many other picks did he have that busted after one season?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-16-2006, 09:42 PM

Beat that thompson!

Sherman was a good gm; compared to thompson, Sherman was great.And how long did it take Walker, Kampman, Glenn, and Harris to develop? How many other picks did he have that busted after one season?

In theory, thompson is gay, dumb and dull. Because of those attributes, no top tier free agent wants to play for him. Instead of submitting in his resignation papers, for the good of the Packers, Thompson turns to the only guarantee that every GM possesses: the draft. Thompson is using the draft as an excuse for the inability to field a contender. In short, he is trying to buy time; time to destroy the Packers; time to hibernate; time to give birth to additional 4-12 seasons.

There are 35 million reasons in support of this theory. All i can say is, Mike Sherman wouldve feared better, perhaps even winning the SB last year. Mike Sherman is great, compared to the Polar Bear.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Just answer my question, please.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Just answer my question, please.

Ok. Kampman started as a rookie and has been doing so since. Glenn was an upgrade over Freeman. Harris won the playoffs game against Seattle. Walker is the only player who didnt become an insteant starter after being acquired. Nonetheless, he made the pro bowl three years later.

Sherman did good. Pack was good and was on the verge of greatness. Until the Polar Bear comes along...

Anti-Polar Bear
04-16-2006, 09:56 PM
The equation is simple and not difficult to achieve:

Top offense+Upgraded defense= Super Bowl.

Just ask the Seahawks.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 09:56 PM
You forgot the other question. The one about the busts.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-16-2006, 10:03 PM
You forgot the other question. The one about the busts.

The busts are easy to forget when you are winning. Look at some of Ron Wolfs busts: Jermine Smith, Rosevelt Blackman, Gerry Barry, Derrick Mays, Terrell Buckley, John Michaels, Terrence Marshell, Jamel Reynolds, Robert Ferguson, among others (all were drafted in the top 4 rds).

Winning hides your mistakes. Mike Sherman was a winner.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Not last year he wasn't!

Anti-Polar Bear
04-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Not last year he wasn't!

Last years team wasnt Sherman's. It was Thompson. Hell, even thompson decided the depth chart, as was evident when he told Sherman to play the football wife (rodgers) behind Favre instead of Nall, who was more experienced and a better player.

Sherman presided over the 02,03, and 04 teams. All winners.

billy_oliver880
04-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Not last year he wasn't!

Last years team wasnt Sherman's. It was Thompson. Hell, even thompson decided the depth chart, as was evident when he told Sherman to play the football wife (rodgers) behind Favre instead of Nall, who was more experienced and a better player.

Sherman presided over the 02,03, and 04 teams. All winners.

Rodgers got all kinds of playing time last year too. :wink:

retailguy
04-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Not last year he wasn't!

You were winning this debate till you posted this.

Sherman did win, for a long time. One losing season didn't make him a bad coach.

His questionable personnel decisions are becoming clearer. Even I, a Sherman supporter have to admit that.

I do think he had a different draft strategy than Wolf, with good reason. I still maintain that sherman was KNOWINGLY not building for the long haul. Whether that's good or bad, I think its true.

Ziggy, Sherm's not a bad guy, and not a bad coach. He was not a great GM and did not understand the value of a draft pick.

TT gets the value of a draft pick, he also gets the personnel game. He is HORRIBLE at PR and that's a necessary function of the job. His lack of knowledge about PR will get him canned, UNLESS he wins. Tank is right about that. We'll overlook the lack of information if the Pack wins. We'll scream bloody murder if they don't win. sherms drafting and player loyalty got him canned. TT's awful public personna will get him canned eventually.

Wolf was a HORRIBLE drafter in the first round. We all overlook it because of Brett Favre, and the 1996 Super Bowl. It is easy to overlook it. Shermans detractors refuse to overlook ANYTHING during his tenure because he didn't win it all.

retailguy
04-16-2006, 10:24 PM

I'm so tired of this rumor I could just scream! This originated on football outsiders.com. It was NEVER reported by any reputable news source and has been denied multiple times in the Journal-Sentinel. Wolf has been quoted multiple times saying HE blew the Reynolds pick. How many times must he take responsibility for the pick for everyone to believe him?

Did Sherman prefer Reynolds? Of course, they had CONSENSUS in the draft room. That included Wolf.

NOBODY knew Morgan would be a stud. NOBODY knew Reynolds would be a bust. Plenty had 'thoughts' but most of those are in hindsight.

retailguy
04-16-2006, 10:26 PM
I distinctly remember Wolf saying to the Journal-Sentinel that HE traded up to get Reynolds. That was the whole reason for the trade. He DID NOT trade up to get Dan Morgan.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Sherman did win, for a long time. One losing season didn't make him a bad coach.

His questionable personnel decisions are becoming clearer. Even I, a Sherman supporter have to admit that.

I do think he had a different draft strategy than Wolf, with good reason. I still maintain that sherman was KNOWINGLY not building for the long haul. Whether that's good or bad, I think its true.

Ziggy, Sherm's not a bad guy, and not a bad coach. He was not a great GM and did not understand the value of a draft pick.

TT gets the value of a draft pick, he also gets the personnel game. He is HORRIBLE at PR and that's a necessary function of the job. His lack of knowledge about PR will get him canned, UNLESS he wins. Tank is right about that. We'll overlook the lack of information if the Pack wins. We'll scream bloody murder if they don't win. sherms drafting and player loyalty got him canned. TT's awful public personna will get him canned eventually.

Wolf was a HORRIBLE drafter in the first round. We all overlook it because of Brett Favre, and the 1996 Super Bowl. It is easy to overlook it. Shermans detractors refuse to overlook ANYTHING during his tenure because he didn't win it all.

Sorry Retailguy, had to take the shot. He left himself so wide open. :wink:

I am not a Sherman detractor, in fact. I was against his firing, but once he was gone, I did begin to perceive a downslide that I hadn't seen before. You can play the "what if" game all you want, but the fact is that Mike Sherman is no longer with the team. I do have a lot of confidence in M3 and have a feeling that he deals well with the media which might have been a consideration in his hiring as well. All TT really needs is a face to make statements for the team and I think after M3 has a season under his belt, he'll be much more visible. I think they both may be hiding a bit because of not wanting to answer nothing but Brett and Javon questions all day. I know if I were either one of them, I'd be locking my office door every day and wearing a disguise to get home until I had some answers to give the media.

retailguy
04-16-2006, 10:38 PM
I know if I were either one of them, I'd be locking my office door every day and wearing a disguise to get home until I had some answers to give the media.

If, today, on April 16th they don't know whether or not Favre is coming back, then they are both FOOLS.

Ziggy, they have to know. I haven't figured out what all the suspense is supposed to do, but they HAVE to know. GB is on national TV 5 times. Name another 4-12 team to have 5 national TV appearances? I realize the Packers are a big draw, but they were 4-12!

I knew Favre was coming back when I saw the final home game televised by the NFL network. C'mon, the NFL network. You think that's a coincidence? The multi-million dollars these games are worth and they're going to schedule the FINAL HOME GAME of a 4-12 team? Not a chance - that's Favre's swan song. There is NO OTHER EXPLANATION.

NFL Network needs a DRAW for the remaining cable franchises to pick it up. FAVRE is the draw. Who wants to miss his final game live? Hell, my father-in-law is a diehard 49ers fan and thinks Favre is the DEVIL himself, and he won't miss that game. Not a chance. The NFL & the Packers KNOW what Favre is doing.

I agree with Tank. He did leave himself wide open on that one. Sherm's still a good guy though.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 10:41 PM
You don't think it's possible they sceduled it that way as a just-in-case because they don't know what he's going to do either and don't want to get screwed if he comes back?

retailguy
04-16-2006, 10:46 PM
You don't think it's possible they sceduled it that way as a just-in-case because they don't know what he's going to do either and don't want to get screwed if he comes back?

Too much money involved if he doesn't come back. Bigger risk is on the downside of him not coming back.

These are shared dollars. All 32 teams benefit from the Favre draw. They're trying to showcase NFL network. Not give it crummy games. It's all about advertising revenue. Who's going to watch the NFL network to see the packers final regular season game after Aaron Rogers started the whole year? No One. Pack will be lucky to be 6-9 at that point.

I guess, if you're correct, we need to get a fundraiser going right now, because we'll be able to afford a 30 second spot for packerrats.com. Of course, we'll be the only ones watching it. I have NFL network, and the locals get the broadcast on local TV....