PDA

View Full Version : It's only the first game

footballfever
09-11-2006, 07:44 AM
Sure it was ugly, but you, like I, sat through the whole thing and endured it. We had to see if there was some life somewhere. We just need to give the opponents the ball at the 20 and let them kick field goals all game cause our defense does have some amount of pride, that red zone defense was pretty damn good. Favre has no other reciever besides double D, Jennings will develop over the course of the season but they need a veteran number 2 to spell Jennings, someone who can create some seperation off the line of scrimmage and find the open holes in the zones. It'll take Jennings some time to get sufficient reads on the defense. I didn't get a chance to rewatch any of the tape of the game, but it looked like the most blown blocks or the most obvious on the O line were done by Clifton, I'm sure the interior had its share of blown coverages though. All in all it wasn't so bad, Ahman is back to where he was a few years ago, he really looked great. Defense looked good at times Barnett has really stepped up his blitzing he knows how to shed those blocks and the pursuit on the outside runs by our linebackers was impressive but after spending 45 minutes on the field I'm sure they were a little winded.

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Nice first thread, welcome to the forum. Yes, after sleeping on it, there were a few specks of light there, it wasn't ALL terrible. We did stall a few of their drives and their punter even had to get out on the field and earn his paycheck yesterday.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2006, 08:43 AM
You guys must have slept better than I did. I woke up thinking it was just a nightmare until I looked at the paper.

IT WAS HORRIFIC!

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 08:49 AM
It was horrific, but it still could have been worse. What would the score have been had we not stopped them in the red zone a few times? We did actually get Grossman to the ground and got in his face a bit (though not as much as I'd have liked), the kids that everyone said were gonna suck, actually did pretty well. It was the vets that failed in their protection and I think everyone owes Spitz and Moll a bit of an apology, because everyone said they'd be completely manhandled and they weren't. If that's the case though then Clifton owes us an apology, but still. Favre was not sacked every time he took a snap like some made it seem he would be. They're not burning infernos, but I have to take all the little glimmers of success I can get.

Fritz
09-11-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm with you, Zigs. It was ugly, but there were moments that gave you some hope, anyway. It's either that or jump off the bridge. For now I'm willing to be patient. I don't think it's as miserable as people make it out to be. It wasn't good, but there is hope.

run pMc
09-11-2006, 09:15 AM
The pendulum swings both ways.

Patience, boys and girls. Criticize TT if you want, but he's drafted a lot of talent and it takes experience to really make that talent work. It could be an ugly first half of the season, but I think things will start to click and GB may surprise some doubters.

Having said that, yesterday was embarrassing. I hope GB gets mad & takes it out on NO. This team needs a W badly.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-11-2006, 09:30 AM
The main thing this team needs is big WR, and a pass rush. The secondary line backers, and offensive line will all be good with time. But with only DD and jennings at WR, they need a big Jovon Walker type WR. Also, I've said this all offseason that are d-line needs a big make over. We have a really bad pass rush and have had a bad pass rush for a while now. Kampman, no matter how hard he works will never be a great pass rusher, and KGB is just not consistent. If I was TT, my first two picks next year would be on the d-line.

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 09:32 AM
What if they played Popp sometimes at DE? Could he be a better DE than LB? Just wondering...