PDA

View Full Version : The Official Packers-Cowgirls Discussion Thread

Anti-Polar Bear
10-02-2019, 05:42 AM
Yo Tex, give us the 411 on ‘Merica’s Team, your 2nd favorite NFL team.

I used to root for a 2nd NFL team - even a 3rd team, too. The Milwaukee Badgers and Racine Rednecks went bankrupt and don’t exist anymore. Abominable capitalism.

Gamblers, if I put frogskins on the Packers at +3.5 against ‘Merica’s Team, the Packers have to win by at least 3.5 points or lose by at least 3.5 points for me to win my frogskins back, plus change, right?

pbmax
10-02-2019, 08:53 AM
Dropping back to pass success doesn't seem to indicate the Packers need to run more. But they probably need to run better.

Moo @PFF_Moo
The red line is the frontier of establishment, also known as the don't do that-diagonal.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EFzF0IeUEAYAgWA?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

George Cumby
10-02-2019, 09:00 AM
Fuck the cowbois.

bobblehead
10-02-2019, 09:01 AM
I'm not one to poo poo science, but what the hell is that abomination supposed to mean?

pbmax
10-02-2019, 09:16 AM
I'm not one to poo poo science, but what the hell is that abomination supposed to mean?

Measuring passing efficiency (right) against running efficiency (left) with rate of dropping back to pass versus run (top v bottom). Efficiency is defined as expected points added.

Ideally, you want to be centered.

pbmax
10-02-2019, 09:20 AM
The chart is basically measuring you tendency versus your efficiency. So all those teams in lower right are running a lot more than efficiency would suggest.

But this doesn't account for the flow of the game. Regardless of this chart, I would not have stopped running if I was the Eagles last week.

mraynrand
10-02-2019, 09:21 AM
I enjoy the fact that ATL, NO, and NE are tightly clustered.

George Cumby
10-02-2019, 09:43 AM
Measuring passing efficiency (right) against running efficiency (left) with rate of dropping back to pass versus run (top v bottom). Efficiency is defined as expected points added.

Ideally, you want to be centered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrCPIrs90eg

Cheesehead Craig
10-02-2019, 10:46 AM
I'm just having visions of Zeke going off for 150+, I hope I'm wrong.

mraynrand
10-02-2019, 10:53 AM
Apparently Burks is getting some limited practice. Adams is day to day. Bulaga and Mt. Adams not practicing..still?

Didn't realize until today that Crosby's wife had a tumor removed from lung in August (non-metastatic, no rad or chem therapy required fortunately)

mraynrand
10-02-2019, 10:54 AM
Weird: Dak is 28/28 in the third quarter this year. Cowboys have scored a TD on their first possession of the third quarter in every game.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-02-2019, 11:10 AM

Graph is saying, whenever the Packers run the rock consecutively on 1st and 2nd downs without moving the chain, they end up punting 99.9% of the time.

pbmax
10-02-2019, 11:38 AM
Weird: Dak is 28/28 in the third quarter this year. Cowboys have scored a TD on their first possession of the third quarter in every game.

Kellen Moore might have solved their Head Coach/Owner problem. Temporarily I am sure, but still.

texaspackerbacker
10-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Without a doubt, this is gonna be my 1 point game in Pick'Em.

The Dallas offense kinda got exposed last week, just like the Packers run D two weeks in a row. I have to think Pettine will come up with something to stop their running game, but I'm really worried we will be left open to passing. You know Randall Cobb is gonna be fired up; I think Alexander is good enough to shut down Amari Cooper, but you never know. Look out for Devin Smith against Kevin King.

The Cowboys D Line is good, and their LBs are super, and it doesn't take much to stop the Packers running game.

It's gonna come down to Aaron Rodgers winning the game for us vs. Dak winning the game for them. That would seem to favor the Packers, but the horrible disparity in O Lines gives Dak a big advantage.

I'll take the Packers - of course, but it'll be close, and as I said, just 1 confidence point.

They're saying now Davante Adams may not play; I think we will be ok without him, but that too is questionable.

RashanGary
10-02-2019, 01:32 PM
I know why you don’t like the Packers OL. They’re not comparable to Dallas. But we have a 35M QB. We could have three top tier OL for that price. So AR wants the money. That means he has to be better with less surrounding talent because that’s what his contract causes.

Tony Oday
10-02-2019, 01:42 PM
So we will get crushed in this game which means we will win.

texaspackerbacker
10-02-2019, 04:12 PM
I know why you don’t like the Packers OL. They’re not comparable to Dallas. But we have a 35M QB. We could have three top tier OL for that price. So AR wants the money. That means he has to be better with less surrounding talent because that’s what his contract causes.

The idea that we should improve the O Line in free agency - which I advocated in the other thread - is not for Rodgers' benefit. He has done just fine for a decade or more with piss poor pass blocking. The reason I'd like to see a better O Line is that it is becoming clear that LaFleur is gonna press his run-first crap regardless - so we might as well have an O Line that makes it work.

call_me_ishmael
10-02-2019, 04:19 PM

Packers OL is just as good when Bulaga is healthy.

Bulaga is a top tier RT. One of the best in the league.

Bak is amazing obviously.

Center is very good as well.

The new left guard is legit.

The new right guard is legit.

Packers have a top 5 OL.

QBME
10-02-2019, 05:23 PM
It will be an interesting game. Cowboys came out of the gate incredibly strong, albeit against the Fins, Skins and I forget. Then the Saints in the dome and got shut down against a real defense.

Is Dak for real?.

My biggest concern is Zeke will find his legs and go crazy mostly running, but also catching...which will open the field to Dak.

Freak Out
10-02-2019, 05:50 PM
I'm just having visions of Zeke going off for 150+, I hope I'm wrong.

250+ is more likely. Pack just needs to load up for the run and hope the back end holds up.

pbmax
10-02-2019, 09:03 PM

What this team needs is a mediocre QB.

pbmax
10-02-2019, 09:44 PM
He'll be able to give them an almost up to date list of grievances that will fill in the blanks since Ty Dunne's story of the masseuse and tug of war over the offense.

@ArrickUptonGB
Missed this from earlier: #Cowboys signed former #Packers safety Josh Jones to their practice squad. The timing is quite interesting I’d say ��

bobblehead
10-02-2019, 09:49 PM
This is going to be one of those games that defies numbers. Pettine will put together a plan that forces Dak to beat our secondary (he can't). We will over commit to the run in sort of a guessing game at times to force passing then we will bury Dak. It will lead to some decent chunks given up in the pass when we guess wrong, but our superior secondary should keep the bleeding to a minimum.

We need a lead early so we can press the action and control field position. This is a very winnable game. Its also a game that will tell us a lot about our coaching staff.

RashanGary
10-02-2019, 11:54 PM

Mahomes cap hit is 4.4M

There is all sorts of context as to why that is the case, but the reality is, the Packers have to compete against teams with more money to spend because they have a QB on a rookie deal.

Patriots won 3 SBs on Brady’s rookie deal
Seahawks won 1 on Wilson’s
Giants 1 on Eli’s
Steelers 2 on Ben’s
Eagles 1 on Wentz’s

It’s a huge advantage to not be dumping 30M on your QB but still getting good QB play. Obviously that only tends to happen on rookie deals.

RashanGary
10-02-2019, 11:57 PM
This is going to be one of those games that defies numbers. Pettine will put together a plan that forces Dak to beat our secondary (he can't). We will over commit to the run in sort of a guessing game at times to force passing then we will bury Dak. It will lead to some decent chunks given up in the pass when we guess wrong, but our superior secondary should keep the bleeding to a minimum.

We need a lead early so we can press the action and control field position. This is a very winnable game. Its also a game that will tell us a lot about our coaching staff.

If King is out, that could hurt. Turdbisky was firing off shots at Tony Brown and hitting when King was out. I wonder if Hollman or Jackson have passed Brown up.

mraynrand
10-03-2019, 07:24 AM

Did someone mention my name?

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2130147.1424967239!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/saints-buccaneers-football.jpg

texaspackerbacker
10-03-2019, 08:05 AM
I only recall one kinda lucky back shoulder play against Tony Brown by the Bears. I think I'd be at least as comfortable with him starting as with Kevin King - who has made a few good plays, but seems to be not very consistent.

What some of you guys mean regarding QBs is that you'd like a $4.4 million dollar superstar QB. We'll see 8 or 10 years from now when our GOAT is finally finished whether or not Gutekunst gets lucky enough to pick up the next Mahomes or Favre or Rodgers.

pbmax
10-03-2019, 08:57 AM
Mahomes cap hit is 4.4M

There is all sorts of context as to why that is the case, but the reality is, the Packers have to compete against teams with more money to spend because they have a QB on a rookie deal.

Patriots won 3 SBs on Brady’s rookie deal
Seahawks won 1 on Wilson’s
Giants 1 on Eli’s
Steelers 2 on Ben’s
Eagles 1 on Wentz’s

It’s a huge advantage to not be dumping 30M on your QB but still getting good QB play. Obviously that only tends to happen on rookie deals.

No kidding Rashan. But what you haven’t supplied is a method for drafting Mahomes rather than Trubinsky or Yo Gabbert Gabbert.

Fritz
10-04-2019, 12:23 PM

I like your optimism and I wish I had some of it. The Cowboys look superior to me - the Packer defense bleeds running yards while the Cowboys have a superb offensive line. The Packers can't seem to run the ball and have a running back out (step up, Dexter Williams). Packers' best receiver is out.

Joemailman
10-04-2019, 03:25 PM
The Green Bay Packers will be without star receiver Davante Adams (toe) on Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys, the team announced Friday.

Adams has been battling a turf toe injury he suffered in Week 4 against the Philadelphia Eagles. He did not practice this week.

Additionally, the Packers also ruled out running back Jamaal Williams (concussion) and cornerback Tony Brown (hamstring). Cornerback Kevin King (groin) is doubtful.

Meanwhile, right tackle Bryan Bulaga (shoulder), defensive lineman Montravius Adams (shoulder), outside linebacker Kyler Fackrell (shoulder) and inside linebacker Oren Burks (chest) are all listed as questionable.

Looks like we'll see our first real look at Dexter Williams and Josh Jackson.

pbmax
10-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Packers gonna need a Rodgers classic.

pbmax
10-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Speaking of which, we have to turn around the mood of this thread.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Mst9JXrQSEA/WH94ivUSEaI/AAAAAAAAKFI/GDMQLoUXaIMIjqTxvkET0rGaYLHdDMkSgCLcB/s640/1Q%2B-%2B3%253A7%2BCook.gif

pbmax
10-04-2019, 03:52 PM
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NFm_1BSG_Jk/WH94ivHLY-I/AAAAAAAAKFM/Fk4oHI5X1Y4GinxIjvFa4g9s9mD-FCWFgCLcB/s640/1Q%2B3%253A2%2BAdams%2BSlot.gif

pbmax
10-04-2019, 03:54 PM
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tU0OKYO9NoY/WH94kQeXOVI/AAAAAAAAKFY/0fKRBj5lEnog9A5qsXrA8aI8w_w5prLxgCLcB/s640/3Q%2B1st%2Bpass%2BB.gif

pbmax
10-04-2019, 03:55 PM
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RQvapFzwABs/WH94l-KbmiI/AAAAAAAAKFk/N5ybMmYrN3sw7OwYFpG_j1paD3Z5k8lJgCLcB/s640/3Q%2Bblitz%2Bcook%2Bdeep.gif

pbmax
10-04-2019, 03:57 PM
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-11beHogHrwE/WH94nQ2HsUI/AAAAAAAAKF0/Z0tObXsow74jV33h-2WhwIktqOSsorfWQCLcB/s640/4Q%2B3rd%2B19%2BB.gif

pbmax
10-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Different angle:

https://i.imgur.com/73cYhXF.gif

pbmax
10-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Dick Rod!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NR2zZ0BSWEo/WHv1h6z15QI/AAAAAAAARxc/MIJUEgB8TY4HK1iBwA903GmrE_AunIpsACLcB/s1600/2.gif

Joemailman
10-04-2019, 04:36 PM
https://primary-cdn-shortstop.espn.net/e80a3746-1b75-416b-8ef1-0ddfc6bd5159.png

Joemailman
10-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
Could this be Jake Kumerow's week? Matt LaFleur said he could've done a better job getting him snaps earlier in the season (before his shoulder injury). But LaFleur said Kumerow "has had a good week of practice and I know he's locked in." Kumerow could be WR3 if Davante Adams is out..

Joemailman
10-04-2019, 04:42 PM
https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2019&wk=5

Joe Buck and Troy Aikman with the call. Entire nation will see the game.

Fosco33
10-04-2019, 09:47 PM
Adams out

pbmax
10-04-2019, 09:58 PM
Jim Owczarski @JimOwczarski
With Davante Adams ruled out, #Packers tight end Jimmy Graham can expect heavy workload https://packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/10/04/packers-davante-adams-ruled-out-jimmy-graham-role-grows/3865282002/… via ⁦
@PGPackersNews

Feels like senior abuse.

wist43
10-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Unless Pettine makes a committment to stopping the run, Elliott could have a 200 yd day.

And where the hell has Keke been?? Guy is a player... is he injured??

Joemailman
10-05-2019, 07:57 AM
Unless Pettine makes a committment to stopping the run, Elliott could have a 200 yd day.

And where the hell has Keke been?? Guy is a player... is he injured??

There's some talk he might start getting more playing time. https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/10/03/green-bay-packers-defense-turns-rookie-kingsley-keke-help-stuffing-run/3843259002/

mraynrand
10-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Need some Keke-D

mraynrand
10-05-2019, 09:50 AM
https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2019&wk=5

Joe Buck and Troy Aikman with the call. Entire nation will see the game.

"Well, you know Joe, I've always said that receivers who get open are likely to have more receptions."

pbmax
10-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Need some Keke-D

Don’t go breaking my...

pbmax
10-05-2019, 05:42 PM
Tom Silverstein
New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Silverstein: Packers must have the patience to run a more balanced offense ift.tt/31QVuIR #Packers

Yes. Let’s score fewer points in a shorter game when we can’t defend the run.

Joemailman
10-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Packers promote RB Tra Carson to 53. Cut Fadol Brown. Brown's release should definitely mean we'll see more of Keke.

pbmax
10-05-2019, 06:17 PM
JimO JSO
The #Packers must feel good with the development of rookie Kingsley Keke, as they released Fadol Brown to bring up Tra Carson off the practice squad. Curious if Matt LaFleur jumps Carson over D. Williams tomorrow - or has them both up.

pbmax
10-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Tom Silverstein
#Packers upgrade CB Kevin King (groin) from doubtful to questionable for #Cowboys game Sunday.

I could be wrong, but I think I called this mini comeback. 6 games out coming soon.

RashanGary
10-05-2019, 10:31 PM
I wonder how long Adams will be out. Reading medical info online, it sounds like 3 weeks gets the joint healed enough to avoid further damage but it might still be painful after the three weeks.

Cowboys game is 9 days post injury
Lions game is 18 days post injury
Raiders 24 days
Chiefs 31 days

I can’t imagine it going past that unless they rush it and it prolongs it.

mraynrand
10-05-2019, 11:01 PM
I wonder how long Adams will be out. Reading medical info online, it sounds like 3 weeks gets the joint healed enough to avoid further damage but it might still be painful after the three weeks.

Cowboys game is 9 days post injury
Lions game is 18 days post injury
Raiders 24 days
Chiefs 31 days

I can’t imagine it going past that unless they rush it and it prolongs it.

I suspect he will return after the San Diego game.

run pMc
10-05-2019, 11:04 PM
JimO JSO
The #Packers must feel good with the development of rookie Kingsley Keke, as they released Fadol Brown to bring up Tra Carson off the practice squad. Curious if Matt LaFleur jumps Carson over D. Williams tomorrow - or has them both up.

I think Carson leapfrogs DWilliams and basically takes Jamaal's role as bruiser. Also need to turn to Vitale in the passing game. A.Jones is looked at as a potential playmaker, but the durability concern is there for a reason.

Overall I don't have a great feeling about this game -- they're banged up, on the road, and bad at defending the run. Dallas isn't a bad team either.

RashanGary
10-05-2019, 11:17 PM
The Cowboys beat three bad teams and lost a close one against New Orleans. They’ve played decent football, but I’m not crowning them just yet.

Their defense is ok. Not a great pass rush. Not particularly great at anything. We should be able to move the ball. If AR can find some chemistry with guys not named Adams, we have a shot to move the ball.

Tyron Smith being down is a big opportunity. Gonna have to really show up to stop the run and then take advantage of that weak link on third down. With protection sliding left to help protect the backup LT against the Smiths, we might be able to create some free paths to the QB on the other side if Clark and Lowry can crash the G and T, creating a space for Martinez or Amos to sneak in between them. Martinez has been surprisingly good in his career with those delayed blitzes.

call_me_ishmael
10-06-2019, 12:06 AM
Tom Silverstein
#Packers upgrade CB Kevin King (groin) from doubtful to questionable for #Cowboys game Sunday.

I could be wrong, but I think I called this mini comeback. 6 games out coming soon.

My goodness this guy is a mess. He simply cannot stay on the field. Another high draft pick we'll develop and let walk. Bad news bears.

bobblehead
10-06-2019, 04:46 AM
I suspect he will return after the San Diego game.

Is that our 2020 season opener?