PDA

View Full Version : Coaches On The Hot Seat

Joemailman
10-07-2019, 10:05 AM
Jay Gruden already gone. I doubt there will be any more in-season firings, but there are always firings at the end of the season. Some who could be in trouble:

Mike Tomlin - Pittsburgh ( 1-4) He's never had a losing season, and Steelers are famous for sticking with their head coaches. Only 3 head coaches in last 50 years. However, he is likely facing his second straight season of not making the playoffs. His position looks to be very similar to Mike McCarthy's when he was fired last year.

Bill O'Brien - Houston (3-2) Team marred by inconsistency. 1 playoff win in his first 5 years. He could be in trouble if Texans miss the playoffs.

Doug Marrone - Houston (2-3) After a great 2017 season, Jags have gone 7-14 since. Made Nathaniel Hackett the scapegoat last year. All eyes will be on him if they fail this year. Maybe Gardner Minshew can rescue him.

Jason Garrett - Dallas (3-2) Has 2 playoff wins in previous 9 years with Cowboys. Lot of talk he needs a playoff run to keep his job.

Mike Zimmer - Minnesota (3-2) Starting to have some roster turmoil on that team. Offenses have ranked in bottom half of league all but one year. He keep changing OC's. Focus will be on him if talented offense continues to struggle.

Ron Rivera - Carolina (3-2) One of the more inconsistent teams from year to year. If the miss the playoffs this year, that would be the 3rd time in 4 years.

Dan Quinn - Atlanta (1-4) Likely looking at 2nd straight losing season. Defensive success he had at Seattle has never translated to Atlanta. Team may not have recovered from devastating Super Bowl loss.

pbmax
10-07-2019, 10:53 AM
Bill O'Brien is getting a lot of credit for beating up Atlanta. And a lot of praise for giving up a future fortune for Tunsil, who helped give up virtually no pressure while scoring 53 points.

But when they come back to earth against a more robust opponent, I wonder if he is going to get just enough done to survive to a new deal. Complicating getting a GM and building for a future.

They are setup for a colossal mistake.

mraynrand
10-07-2019, 11:55 AM
^^^ That Houston offense is just crazy athletic. But they are all over the map. They look like a bunch of great athletes got together and said - hey we probably can kill it at...*spins dial*..FOOTBALL! Yeah, football. Let's go!

run pMc
10-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Tomlin and Rivera have QB injury issues that might buy them another year. Steelers usually don't overreact but they did make some unusual moves (see: Minkah).

Marrone might get a pass with Foles hurt. Although Minshew might get some ROY votes as he's kept them afloat and Fournette is having a bounceback year. The Jalen Ramsey saga might affect things. The Jags are so unpredictable it's hard to say.

O'Brien I could see if they don't make the playoffs. Feels like Houston has given up a lot of future picks, and aside from Watson-Hopkins what else do they have?

Quinn is in real trouble. Seems like they haven't played well since the Superb Owl loss.

Garrett and Zimmer are in trouble if they don't make the playoffs. Both have talented teams that have played inconsistent.

mraynrand
10-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Quinn is in real trouble. Seems like they haven't played well since the Superb Owl loss.

He has to get flushed, right? They brought in defensive talent and the defense just keeps tanking. Maybe it's the GM too, but he isn't gonna be back next year.

SudsMcBucky
10-07-2019, 12:47 PM
He has to get flushed, right? They brought in defensive talent and the defense just keeps tanking. Maybe it's the GM too, but he isn't gonna be back next year.

Yep, especially considering he's actually the D coordinator this year and he replace his OC, too. Those moves bought him THIS year. But if they don't work, he gone.

Cheesehead Craig
10-07-2019, 02:04 PM
If things keep progressing, I think Tomlin and Quinn are both gone. Quinn has been a failure since the 2nd half of the SB. I think Tomlin has lost his team. He's in Stubby-land now where the players are tuning out.

Joemailman
10-07-2019, 02:16 PM
If things keep progressing, I think Tomlin and Quinn are both gone. Quinn has been a failure since the 2nd half of the SB. I think Tomlin has lost his team. He's in Stubby-land now where the players are tuning out.

Agreed. With any organization other than Pittsburgh, Tomlin would be gone I think. But you never know with them. They've had three head coaches since 1969. Cowher didn't win a Super Bowl until his 14th season.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Super Bowl winning coaches always get a second dance. Seifert, Johnson, Shanahan, to name a few.

Tomlin, if he’s canned and opts not to take a sabbatical, will be hired by another team faster than Tony O’Day can say Rooney Rule. Affirmative Actions are just.

McCarthy will be HC again next season, and I ain’t talking about coaching at Catholic All-Boys Prep, the Ottawa Redblacks, or the University of Michigan. Next Seabags coach, more likely.

call_me_ishmael
10-08-2019, 04:50 PM
I am gonna go out on a limb and say MM never coaches again by choice. I think he'll eventually kiss and make up with the Packers and be a PR piece for them frequently since he loves the community so much.

My thought process is he won't take another job until his kids are done in HS, and by that point he'll be like 60. With that, the impact on his health, his present financials being so great, and the whole being 60 thing, I'm not totally convinced he'll want to do it again or even get offered another shot.

texaspackerbacker
10-08-2019, 07:17 PM
hahahahahaha 60 is the new 40.

More teams value experience and long term success than value youth and potential. I think he will get an offer too good to refuse within the next couple of off-seasons.

mraynrand
10-08-2019, 07:26 PM
Stubbers will get a job and bring in Zimmer as his d coors light. And it will sayonara for the NFL. For the next decade he will ride roughshod over professional football, like the second coming of Belichick without the cheating.

pbmax
10-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Stubbers will get a job and bring in Zimmer as his d coors light. And it will sayonara for the NFL. For the next decade he will ride roughshod over professional football, like the second coming of Belichick without the cheating.

With that pairing, the offense might never pass in the four minute offense. Which will start with 4 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter.