PDA

View Full Version : Official Raiders Week Discussion

pbmax
10-16-2019, 05:18 PM
@RobDemovsky
Also, the Packers have declared tight end Jace Sternberger designed to return off IR., per a source. He had an ankle injury and now is one of two guys off IR that can return this year.

They have rebuilt Jace bionically (or bionicle-ly) and designed him to come off IR this week. Twitter was already predicting the waiving of Jimmy Graham.

RashanGary
10-16-2019, 08:17 PM
Reasons this is a horrible matchup for the Packers

1. The TE, Waller, is one of the best TEs in the league. Carr is an excellent QB who gets him the ball seemingly at will. He’s gonna be galloping around zones occupied by Sullivan and Redmond. Uh oh.

2. Derek Carr gets the ball out ridiculously fast. Neutralizes teams with good pass rush.

3. Josh Jacobs is an excellent runner. Can do it all.

4. They’re coming off a bye and we’re coming off a short week vs an uncommon opponent. Their game planning will be on a whole other level compared to ours

I would not be surprised with back to back losses against the Raiders and Chiefs. I sure hope not, but this game looks like a really bad matchup with their strengths lining up against our weaknesses plus the bye week.

RashanGary
10-16-2019, 08:20 PM
If we do win, I see it being of the high scoring variety with turnovers being our best hope against a bad matchup at a bad time.

RashanGary
10-16-2019, 08:23 PM
I also have the Raiders down as having back to back solid performances on defense. Our two running backs, very stable OL situation and QB give us a chance against anyone, but it’s a decent defense we’re going up against.

RashanGary
10-16-2019, 08:30 PM
Defensively our corners vs their receivers is a really good matchup. I envision us playing mostly man defense with 8 in the box. The extra defender helping vs the run and also in bracketing Waller.

However, I also envision some occasional masked coverages where we show man with 1 safety but post snap bring a second safety deep, allowing Alexander and King to catch Carr off guard and jump a couple routes. I could see a pick 6 in this game with how quick Carr unloads the ball and how athletic our guys are to jump routes. I just hope they take their chances when they have help.

Joemailman
10-16-2019, 08:36 PM
I also have the Raiders down as having back to back solid performances on defense. Our two running backs, very stable OL situation and QB give us a chance against anyone, but it’s a decent defense we’re going up against.

It's not a good pass defense. Opponent QB's have a passer rating of 104 against them. They're among the worst at getting to the QB, with 9 sacks and 19 QB hits in 5 games. This could be a game where Arod has all day to throw. It should be a high scoring game.

RashanGary
10-16-2019, 08:49 PM
It's not a good pass defense. Opponent QB's have a passer rating of 104 against them. They're among the worst at getting to the QB, with 9 sacks and 19 QB hits in 5 games. This could be a game where Arod has all day to throw. It should be a high scoring game.

They’ve gotten better as the season has gone on, but also played bad quarterbacks and yeah, their pass rush is pedestrian so we could certainly destroy them. It’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Carr gets the ball out quicker than anyone but throws a lot of interceptions too. Again, I could see 2 or three interceptions. Hopefully they come early so we can get up and run away with it.

Packers sure can win here. Sure can. It’s just not as fluffy as it looks on paper.

run pMc
10-17-2019, 08:13 AM
It's not a gimme, and there are some areas where each team have advantages.
If the Raiders get their run game going with Jacobs it could be a long day. Carr is coached to get the ball out quick, so I'd think Pettine has the corners play aggressive press-man on them to slow that down.

Facing teams coming off the bye is a concern because of the extra time to plan, as well as being more rested. At least it's a home game, so they have to travel 2 time zones.

They've beaten DEN, IND, and CHI, and lost to KC and MIN... so I think GB should be favored but not by a lot.

Cleft Crusty
10-17-2019, 09:28 AM
Fun facts:

Last time Oakland played in GB, the Packers destroyed them 46-16; however, the Packers lost Jennings for the remainder of the regular season. Jennings came back for the Divisional match-up with the Giants but was rusty and the connection with Rodgers was short-circuited. In 2007, the Packers trounced Oakland 38-7 - also at home. Before that, in 2003, was the famous game in which Favre played following the loss of his father. It was an astonishing game where everything went right for Favre; he was on target all night, and even completed several moon balls to aggressive receivers (Walker and Driver) playing their guts out for Favre. Things wouldn't go so well later that year in Philadelphia, when Favre tossed up a prayer in overtime and God said "no." In 1999, with Ray Rhodes "coaching" and chewing his cud on the sidelines, Favre engineered a spectacular two-touchdown fourth quarter comeback, connecting with TE Jeff Thomason for the winning TD with only 15 seconds left in the game. Previous to that, the Packers demolished the Los Angeles Raiders at home on 1993, 28-0. That game was played in zero degree weather and marked the first Lambeau Leap, made by LeRoy Butler. Butler made his leap following a defensive touchdown after an Oakland turnover that landed in the hands of Reggie White, who then lateraled to the speedy Butler. The Majik Man defeated a very good Raiders team in LA in 1990 29-16, but you have to go all the way back to the pathetic post-purge Forresst Grregg era to find a loss to the Raiders - the 1987 season opener debacle at LA, in which an incompetent Randy Wright went 8-21 for 99 yards with 3 interceptions and four sacks (passer rating: 13.9).

Will the streak continue? John Gruden's last encounter with Green Bay was in 2007, Aaron Rodger's first season starting. Tampa ran and Green Bay could not, so Tampa won 30-21. In 2005 Gruden defeated a "rebuilding" (dismantling might better describe it) Green Bay team, and in 1993, Mike Sherman engineered a shellacking of the defending Super Bowl Champion Tampa Bay Bucs. Paying back the Bucs and neandertal, fat-lipped defensive tackle Warren Sapp for the previous year's cheap shot injury of Chad Clifton, the Packer ran the ball down Tampa's throat to the tune of 190 yards on 38 carries.

Bottom line for Gruden is that he likes to run the ball a lot and control the clock with a precise, mostly short passing game. He will take some shots, but doesn't really have the weapons this year to do that with scatter-brained Brown out of the picture. Whoever controls the trenches will win this game.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-17-2019, 11:18 AM
So long as men can breath, the Great Arm of Butte will forever hold grudges against McCarthy, Gruden and Bowden.

Fat Mike voted for game manager Alex Smith over the GAB. Gruden flat out lied to the GAB; I’ll take you at 5 should you fall, said Gru. The GAB wanted to ball at FSU; Bowden gave no fucks about some skinny, short kid from Sweet Valley High in Chico, California.

This week, Imma start the Great Arm of Butte over the Great Mulatto (Pat Mahomes). Expect 400+ passing yards, 4+ TDS from the GAB. And a Packers win, 72-0.

texaspackerbacker
10-17-2019, 11:32 AM
I like Crusty's recitation of history. The Packers should continue that trend.

Joemailman
10-17-2019, 05:53 PM
https://primary-cdn-shortstop.espn.net/9c93e673-e817-4f9c-9b0b-b68e8d55a4ae.jpeg

Zool
10-17-2019, 09:38 PM
What’s with Clark? Day off?

Joemailman
10-17-2019, 10:02 PM
https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2019&wk=7

Tony Romo and Jim Nantz with the call. Northwest Wisconsin gets Vikings game on Fox.

https://506sports.com/2019/07-CBS.png

Tony Oday
10-18-2019, 02:07 AM
Both teams have banged up WR corps. We win this one easy. 31-9

Cheesehead Craig
10-18-2019, 09:47 AM
So how soon in the broadcast do they show the 25 yr old photo of Gruden as an asst coach with the Pack?

mraynrand
10-18-2019, 10:08 AM
[URL="https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2019&wk=7"]

https://506sports.com/2019/07-CBS.png

I'm surprised the Miami game is showing in S. Florida Must be at Buffalo.

mraynrand
10-18-2019, 10:09 AM
So how soon in the broadcast do they show the 25 yr old photo of Gruden as an asst coach with the Pack?

first 5-10 minutes

must be a Vegas line on that

run pMc
10-18-2019, 10:37 AM
What’s with Clark? Day off?

He probably needs it. They've been playing him too many snaps and he's not been as effective.

So, basically all of their top WR/TE options DNP? Yikes. Look for a heavy load on the RB and Lewis the luxury car. Maybe this is the game they get Vitale involved.

Enjoyed Cleft's history tale and agree it will be won in the trenches.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Bucs didn’t win the SB in’92, and Sherman didn’t coach the Packers in ‘93.

Cleft Crusty
10-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Bucs didn’t win the SB in’92, and Sherman didn’t coach the Packers in ‘93.

Oops. Wrong decade. Those were supposed to read 2002 and 2003. Sometimes the cocktail of Aricept, Exelon and Jack Daniels acts in strange ways.

pbmax
10-18-2019, 12:10 PM

3 times, once in each half and in pregame.

For first game exposure, I say between 12 and 8 minutes left in first half.

pbmax
10-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Oops. Wrong decade. Those were supposed to read 2002 and 2003. Sometimes the cocktail of Aricept, Exelon and Jack Daniels acts in strange ways.

When you start to lose a decade Cleft, the doctor wanted you to call.

pbmax
10-18-2019, 12:11 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman
·
57m
Not at #Packers Friday practice:

WR Davante Adams
WR Marques Valdes-Scantling
WR Geronimo Allison
S Darnell Savage Jr.
TE Bobby Tonyan

Returned to practice:

DT Kenny Clark
TE Jimmy Graham
CB Tramon Williams

Fritz
10-18-2019, 12:27 PM
Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman
·
57m
Not at #Packers Friday practice:

WR Davante Adams
WR Marques Valdes-Scantling
WR Geronimo Allison
S Darnell Savage Jr.
TE Bobby Tonyan

Returned to practice:

DT Kenny Clark
TE Jimmy Graham
CB Tramon Williams

I'll guess that MVS will play but the others on the "not at practice" will not.

Can the Packers afford to give Kenny Clark a few more snaps off per game? This would help in December.

I am sorry Tonyan is losing this opportunity - I think he could be good, but this was a big opportunity to step up and show more consistency, and now he's hurt. I don't think Sternberger will be of much help this season, except as a body on special teams.

yetisnowman
10-18-2019, 01:06 PM
With Mahomes down, really lines up nicely for GB to get to 7-1. Would be huge. Making the Saints, Seahawks, etc come through Lambeau in the postseason would be fantastic.

RashanGary
10-18-2019, 04:11 PM
With Mahomes down, really lines up nicely for GB to get to 7-1. Would be huge. Making the Saints, Seahawks, etc come through Lambeau in the postseason would be fantastic.

Agree. Raiders are tough though! Gonna be two games that we have a slight edge but could go either way. 7-1 did just start feeling more realistic though!

After that, Adams and Savage should be back.....

Things lining up decent so far. No long term serious injuries to key players yet either

Freak Out
10-18-2019, 04:13 PM

Don't count out the Beaver.

pbmax
10-18-2019, 04:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHL8IWcWsAAXok3?format=jpg&name=small

Cheesehead Craig
10-18-2019, 05:21 PM
Once again Jimmy Graham was a limited participant but it had nothing to do with injury.

Joemailman
10-18-2019, 08:01 PM
Too bad about Tonyan. I think he'd be a major part of this week's game plan with all the receivers hurt.

call_me_ishmael
10-19-2019, 12:34 AM
What happened to Savage? Any idea when he'll be back?

Radagast
10-19-2019, 12:42 AM
I predict

Raiders -- 22

Packers -- 34

RashanGary
10-19-2019, 08:11 AM
What happened to Savage? Any idea when he'll be back?

He got rolled up on in a way that would have ended most players season but he’s bendy like Gumby so his knee, hip and ankle all bent and he ended up with a high ankle sprain. Based on previous high ankle sprains, 6 weeks is kind of a common time line. He’s young so that makes you think it could be quicker, but it was an unusually severe looking roll up so maybe 6 is a reasonable timeline

bobblehead
10-19-2019, 12:11 PM

At this point if we beat the raiders I would rather play Maholmy. Iron sharpens iron and it would be a good test/learn for our D. It would be different if we were fighting for last playoff spot or if we lose to raiders...then the win is more important.

Fritz
10-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Too bad about Tonyan. I think he'd be a major part of this week's game plan with all the receivers hurt.

I would agree. I would like to have seen him get a chance to strut his stuff. Including his improved blocking skills.

I see that Kenny Clark is questionable. I think the big guy could use a week off, get healthy. Put the other big guys in there, give them some reps. Lancaster, I think, is the guy they've got.

I do think this will be a tough, tough game, with a band-aid receiving corps and no Savage nor possibly Clark. Unfortunately, I will not be able to watch the game, not even on the computer, as a little granddaughter is turning three tomorrow and having a big party featuring Minnie Mouse.

RashanGary
10-20-2019, 01:36 AM
I see that Kenny Clark is questionable. I think the big guy could use a week off, get healthy. Put the other big guys in there, give them some reps. Lancaster, I think, is the guy they've got.

Clark has sort of been invisible lately. Injuries must be taking their toll because he was really good early.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-20-2019, 03:16 PM
This week, Imma start the Great Arm of Butte...Expect 400+ passing yards, 4+ TDS from the GAB. And a Packers win, 72-0.

Not to sound like an egotist, but genius.