PDA

View Full Version : The Scouting Report

Radagast
10-18-2019, 11:26 PM
I came across this fine article, I hope you will like it as well.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/college-football-wide-receivers-rankings-2019-jerry-jeudy-tylan-wallace/1sb7amfj2iumw1h6hahz9kcj0c

Fritz
10-19-2019, 06:16 PM
I came across this fine article, I hope you will like it as well.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/college-football-wide-receivers-rankings-2019-jerry-jeudy-tylan-wallace/1sb7amfj2iumw1h6hahz9kcj0c

The Michigan Wolverines have a couple of receivers with lots and lots of potential, but Jim Harbaugh has no idea how to run his offense at Michigan, so they are being entirely underutilized. That and Shea Patterson is not much of a QB. So maybe the Packers would find one of them slipping and could nab a top-notch guy without spending a first. Though I am not opposed to spending a first on a wide receiver.

Radagast
10-19-2019, 06:51 PM
Listed ar #5 in the article, Oklahoma WR CeeDee Lamb might be a great pick if he last that long to fall to the Packers.

I've heard that the next NFL Draft will be WR "rich" though.

RashanGary
10-20-2019, 01:26 AM
End of round 1 and all of round 2 common spots for Probowl WRs to be taken

RashanGary
10-20-2019, 01:32 AM
End of round 1 through round 2 you can find pro bowl:

CB, WR, safeties, TE, RB, OG, C, ILB

WR, ILB would be good for us.

Radagast
10-20-2019, 02:28 AM
Were it my choice to make, In the next draft I'd try for players in the following order:

1. WR
2. OLT (good ones can also make great ORTs)
3. WR or RB
4. ILB
5,6, and 7 Best player available

RashanGary
10-20-2019, 06:52 AM
Were it my choice to make, In the next draft I'd try for players in the following order:

1. WR
2. OLT (good ones can also make great ORTs)
3. WR or RB
4. ILB
5,6, and 7 Best player available

I like this.

If the Packers think a star LT or DL or Edge player is there in round 1, you almost have to take them because big guys and pass rushers are so damn rare. But I like your list too. I doubt a star big is lasting till our pick unless it’s a guy who’s recovering from a season ender and everyone knows it’s a lost injury season.

And as rude and straight forward as you are, since your lecture on my post lengths, I’ve tried to shorten it up. That made sense too :lol:

Radagast
10-21-2019, 02:19 AM
I like this.

If the Packers think a star LT or DL or Edge player is there in round 1, you almost have to take them because big guys and pass rushers are so damn rare. But I like your list too. I doubt a star big is lasting till our pick unless it’s a guy who’s recovering from a season ender and everyone knows it’s a lost injury season.

And as rude and straight forward as you are, since your lecture on my post lengths, I’ve tried to shorten it up. That made sense too :lol:

I may have commented on the length of your post if indeed they were too excessive, but such a message was intended to be constructive and not as a pointed personal insult. I myself at times find that the length of my own post grow lengthy when I endeavor to cover a complex subject and I must use good discipline to avoid writing to long of a post myself.

I began this thread because now is the time to take notice of the college players that will be the NFL's future. At this point, IMO, the packers greatest need in the next draft will rest on the offensive side of the field. WR and OT should be the primary focus, however if GB is as successful this season as I believe they will be, then the 1st Packer draft pick could fall near the end of each round. Provided that the team is strong, sacrificing a 1st round and also too a 4th round pick in the 2020 and the 2021 drafts might be worth moving up to a 8th to 12th overall pick. It may not be that simple, but such trades occur each year. GM Gutekunst has shown he is capable already and I hear that the 2020 draft will be a banner year to draft a college WR.

I'm not a scout by any means, but I did see a WR that I found to be worth a trade. He is a WR with Oklahoma named CeeDee Lamb and he has that "it" that all teams value.

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 04:44 AM
I'm not a scout by any means, but I did see a WR that I found to be worth a trade. He is a WR with Oklahoma named CeeDee Lamb and he has that "it" that all teams value.

I do like the sound of that kind of move. I’m a little hesitant for a WR though because great ones are found late 1 into round 2 every year. It’s the spot in the draft teams draft receivers. It’s big guys and QBs that go first. Rare receives do too, but like I said, you don’t have to move up cuz plenty of them fall too.

Radagast
10-21-2019, 06:04 AM
I do like the sound of that kind of move. I’m a little hesitant for a WR though because great ones are found late 1 into round 2 every year. It’s the spot in the draft teams draft receivers. It’s big guys and QBs that go first. Rare receives do too, but like I said, you don’t have to move up cuz plenty of them fall too.

It's rare that I offer a link to an article, but I started this thread with one. Somehow I doubt that you even looked at it.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...w1h6hahz9kcj0c

It is a concise list of this years top college receivers and a short description of them. Alabama as usual leads the list.

GB may have little glaring need, as in years past, and yet a solid NFC or SB champion that has secured that roster for at least one more year can afford to trade up in the draft to acquire a wanted position player. Much time shall pass between now and the next NFL Draft, but now IS the time to scout the college players. You can bet that all of the NFL teams are looking.

bobblehead
10-21-2019, 09:10 AM
1) BPA 2) BPA 3) BPA 4) BPA 5) ILB

In order of what we should be targeting at all times, not by round.

pbmax
10-21-2019, 10:09 AM
1) BPA 2) BPA 3) BPA 4) BPA 5) ILB

In order of what we should be targeting at all times, not by round.

Sharing a brain!

Radagast
10-21-2019, 07:29 PM

Hall of Fame Wide Receivers have been 1st round draft picks.

1964 - WR Paul Warfield was the 1st round (11th overall pick) of the Cleveland Browns.

1974 - WR Lynn Swann was the 1st round (21st overall pick) of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

1978 - WR James Lofton was the 1st round pick (6th overall pick) of the Green Bay Packers.

1980 - WR Art Monk was the 1st round pick (8th overall pick) ot the Washington Redskins.

1986 - WR Tim Brown was the 1st round pick (6th overall pick) of the Oakland Raiders.

1988 - WR Michael Irvin was the 1st round pick (11th overall pick) of the Dallas Cowboys.

1996 - WR Marvin Harrison was the 1st round pick ( 19th overall pick) of the Indianapolis Colts.

Today all are enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. One, James Lofton, was a GB Packer. This dashes your case for not drafting a 1st round WR.

IMO, GB's roster, carrying forward from this season could, could afford to make a draft pick/s deal and move up in the 2020 NFL Draft. It may require GB's 1st (2020) pick, their 4th (2020) pick as well as GB's 3rd (2021) pick A strong WR pick in the next draft could serve to fill GB's last offensive weapon need. This all hinges upon the play/need at the OT position. Should that position require more immediate attention, then finding a starting OT would step up on the team's need list.

texaspackerbacker
10-21-2019, 07:39 PM
Scouting the Hall of Fame now, are ya? hahahahaha - that's gonna get you a pretty old corps of receivers.

If would be stupid for the Packers to draft a WR at all, and bonehead stupid to draft one the first or second day.

pbmax
10-21-2019, 08:07 PM
Hall of Fame Wide Receivers have been 1st round draft picks.

1964 - WR Paul Warfield was the 1st round (11th overall pick) of the Cleveland Browns.

1974 - WR Lynn Swann was the 1st round (21st overall pick) of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

1978 - WR James Lofton was the 1st round pick (6th overall pick) of the Green Bay Packers.

1980 - WR Art Monk was the 1st round pick (8th overall pick) ot the Washington Redskins.

1986 - WR Tim Brown was the 1st round pick (6th overall pick) of the Oakland Raiders.

1988 - WR Michael Irvin was the 1st round pick (11th overall pick) of the Dallas Cowboys.

1996 - WR Marvin Harrison was the 1st round pick ( 19th overall pick) of the Indianapolis Colts.

Today all are enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. One, James Lofton, was a GB Packer. This dashes your case for not drafting a 1st round WR.

IMO, GB's roster, carrying forward from this season could, could afford to make a draft pick/s deal and move up in the 2020 NFL Draft. It may require GB's 1st (2020) pick, their 4th (2020) pick as well as GB's 3rd (2021) pick A strong WR pick in the next draft could serve to fill GB's last offensive weapon need. This all hinges upon the play/need at the OT position. Should that position require more immediate attention, then finding a starting OT would step up on the team's need list.

That is not much of a case for taking a WR in the first round. Most hall of famers go in the first round. And Rashan said great, not Hall of Fame.

John Taylor was a great WR (3rd round I think) but he is not in the Hall of Fame. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

texaspackerbacker
10-21-2019, 08:19 PM
I'm feeling kinda lazy to do the research, but I'm pretty sure WRs make up a fairly small percentage of Hall of Famers - smaller than the percentage of them as players in general. The other thing it would be interesting to find out is how many first round WR picks did not go into the H of F, especially how many were regarded as busts. I bet there is a lot more of the latter than H of Fers or even Great WRs.

The bottom line here, of course, is that the Packers WR corps is fine. We don't need to draft one anytime soon if ever.

Joemailman
10-21-2019, 08:25 PM
I'm feeling kinda lazy to do the research, but I'm pretty sure WRs make up a fairly small percentage of Hall of Famers - smaller than the percentage of them as players in general. The other thing it would be interesting to find out is how many first round WR picks did not go into the H of F, especially how many were regarded as busts. I bet there is a lot more of the latter than H of Fers or even Great WRs.

The bottom line here, of course, is that the Packers WR corps is fine. We don't need to draft one anytime soon if ever.

In the modern era, there are about as many WR's in HOF as QB's and RB's. https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/positions/

texaspackerbacker
10-21-2019, 08:37 PM
27 to be exact - 26 QBs and 32 RBs. My point, though, was there are a lot more WRs total - 6 or 7 on a roster compared to 2 or 3 QBs and maybe 4 or 5 RBs, so as a percentage, it's less. I will say, though, there were more WRs than I woulda thought.

Good Research. Now how about first round WR busts?

Radagast
10-21-2019, 08:44 PM
That is not much of a case for taking a WR in the first round. Most hall of famers go in the first round. And Rashan said great, not Hall of Fame.

John Taylor was a great WR (3rd round I think) but he is not in the Hall of Fame. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

First, my post was not intended as an argument for drafting a 1st round WR. It was however intended to show RashanGary that teams have drafted great or better WR in the 1st round of the NFL draft.

Second, I never said that a great WR could not be found in the 2nd or latter rounds of the draft. My post does show that picking a WR in the 1st round has delivered a high percentage of very successful WRs that have been dangerous offensive weapons for their teams.

Third, I favor GB choosing a 1st round WR in the 2020 draft. Furthermore, I'd like for them (as I've already described) to trade up in the 2020 Draft to grab GB's next great (and perhaps next HOF) WR. It's my opinion, you don't have to agree with it, but I stand solid with it.

Finally, should a greater need at OT or some other position merit the 1st draft pick more, then by all means draft 1st for that greater need. If this does not occur then I want to see GB exit the bargain basement for a change and do what it takes to hire a WR with potential 1st team Pro Bowl abilities. I can imagine that Rodgers would be thrilled.