PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 7 vs Oakland

pbmax
10-20-2019, 03:29 PM
World's greatest homestead ends with a big win over Oakland.

Big D turnovers and some bad Oakland O in the red zone help make a competitive game a blowout. Turnovers can kill.

Clark injured his shin, came back in. I suspect his leg is bothering him. He is not playing well and its affecting th run D in a big way. Team's still double him.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
Jaire Alexander had the first contact on that leaping fourth-down carry by Jacobs, Caught him in the right knee before Goodson/King got him high. Another big turn of events at the south end zone goal line for #Packers, #Raiders.

WAY TO GO JAX

Wes Hodkiewicz @WesHod
Oren Burks is the coverage nickel linebacker

GOODSON PLAYED A LOT WHEN THEY WERE IN BASE AND SOME NICKEL. WAS VICTIMIZED A FEW TIMES

George Cumby
10-20-2019, 03:31 PM
Winning cures a lot of shit.

pbmax
10-20-2019, 03:32 PM

At least it covers the smell.

QBME
10-20-2019, 03:33 PM

Amen.

pbmax
10-20-2019, 03:35 PM
ProFootballReference @pfref
Aaron Rodgers threw his 350th passing TD today. He's the first QB in NFL history to reach 350 in just 165 starts http://pfref.com/tiny/1m2Bi

pbmax
10-20-2019, 03:36 PM
On the CBS broadcast, Jim Nantz stated that Rodgers' 400 passing yards, five passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown had happened only two other times in league history: Rams quarterback Norm Van Brocklin (1951) and Redskins quarterback Mark Rypien (1991).

Rypien kinda an outlier there.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-at-packers-live-updates-game-stats-highlights-for-showdown-at-lambeau-field/live/

run pMc
10-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Rodgers played great today.
Leeeroy Jenkins played decent and overall I thought the OL did a nice job but Rodgers was pretty good sliding around in the pocket to buy extra time. Billy Turner had some nice blocking, but there were at least two times where he stood around watching the play after blocking his man and that's... ugh.
MLF did a decent job of getting the receivers open just enough, and it's nice to see the RB's/TE catch balls. This is basically the same formula they've run for the last few games with Adams out and it's working. Didn't expect G-Mo to play, he contributed more than it seems he has lately. Wasn't sure how much MVS would play on a sore ankle, but he made OAK pay for giving up big plays (as -- like GB -- they have this year).
Jimmy Graham had a nice game...I'd say he earned his paycheck this week (and made up for last week).

The D gave up long gains AGAIN, which is concerning and would spell trouble if Mahomes was throwing to Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce next week. Matt Moore is less scary but the GB secondary has work to do. Andy Reid will have some wrinkles to try and exploit that.
I noticed the OAK LT was cut blocking Z.Smith a lot, making him jump to avoid it and slowing his rush. It's ugly but I wouldn't be surprised if other teams try that.
Seems like Redmond is (slowly) getting better but still gets lost or sucked in easily. I think the D will look different if/when Savage, Burks, and Ibrahim Campbell all are finally healthy. Waller was a tough cover for the D. Burks and Gary had a couple of decent snaps. I thought Martinez played well, but coverage is not his strong suit. Was interesting to see Jaire covering Renfrow a lot. Good for King -- getting his 3rd pick of the year and staying healthy.

Josh Jackson gave up that last TD to OAK in a lazy/ugly attempt at coverage/tackling. Not sure how much missing all that time in TC set him back, but he's got a lot of improvement to do or Gute is going to regret that pick.

Some of OAK's scheming of receivers was pretty clever. Going 3-6 in the RZ w/ 2 TOs is not good offense. Their OL gave Carr time and Jacobs running room. Jacobs is worthy of the hype IMO. Waller is good too. Defensively the Raiders were not very good.

red
10-20-2019, 06:08 PM
rodgers had a huge game today, but a lot of those big throws that i saw were pretty ugly

lots of wobbling ducks that the receivers had to adjust for, sometimes flat out stopping and waiting for the ball

something still isn't right with the arm. but on a positive note, he was actually setting his feet to throw which he was not doing at all earlier in the season

the gameplan was pretty impressive today

Joemailman
10-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Just got home from the game. Hard to beat a Packer win on a perfect fall afternoon.

Some thoughts:

I think perhaps Arod is back.

If anyone knows any miracle healers, please send them Darnell Savage's way.

Thrilling to see a passing offense where the backs are regarded as a weapon and not just a safety valve.

In a span of about 5 minutes on the clock Packers went from looking like they would fall behind by 4 to having an 18 point lead.

MVS: Speed kills. Nice yards per catch.

pittstang5
10-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Did the Smith Brothers Play? No sacks or tackles judging from the stat line.

Joemailman
10-20-2019, 06:52 PM
RashanGary mentioned last week that that Carr is really good at getting rid of the ball quickly. It's hard to sack that guy. Bears didn't get to him either a couple of weeks ago. He's been sacked 8 times in 6 games.

Fosco33
10-20-2019, 07:16 PM
Packers match win total from 2018

texaspackerbacker
10-20-2019, 07:53 PM
I LOVE this kind of game! I'm tired of saying, "A win is a win is a win". I'm tired of the Defense needing to win it. Don't get me wrong; I'm glad we got the Smiths, and I'm glad our D in general is so much improved, but I've been waiting for a game where the GOAT dominates the way only he can. I'm thankful we have Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams too, but it just seems like the world is back to Normal with them and the run game in general taking a back seat to the passing game.

Romo kept saying it's looks like Rodgers has learned what he can do in the LaFleur offense. Maybe hahahahaha. I just hope LaFleur has learn the best way to plan a successful offensive game.

How many people in here have been saying - inexplicably (to euphemize it) - that we need more good wide receivers hahahahahahahaha. a big hell no to that! We are loaded there right now, and one of these weeks, we get Davante Adams back.

On the negative side, our D looked pretty bad. Part of that was Carr doing a good job of escaping the rush. We had a bunch of near misses. The more significant problem going forward was that our pass coverage, especially in the middle of the field, absolutely sucked. Amos had his worst game as a Packer; Everybody else playing Safety got beat regularly; I don't know who was responsible for that short middle and deep middle area, but there were huge holes. Goodson made a great play on the goal line, but he looked like the one getting beat on a lot of pass plays. Lowry drew a couple of holding penalties, but he among others left big holes in the middle of the line on runs. I think Alexander and to a lesser extent, King did ok because there weren't many completions outside, but either they were getting help with took away from coverage in the middle or something. Pettine needs to do some fixing going forward.

Anyway, it was a GREAT game!

texaspackerbacker
10-20-2019, 08:00 PM
I almost forgot to mention, many in here minimize the importance (inexplicably to euphemize that too) of not throwing interceptions. This week, like virtually every other week, so many game-changing blunders of the interception variety - by virtually every QB in the league except, of course, our GOAT QB.

RashanGary
10-20-2019, 11:16 PM
MVS has a chance for a 1,000 yard season. 83 yards next week and he’ll be at 500 half way through. Chiefs pass defense is bad so there’s a good chance.

On a different note, I do expect Davante to start practicing part time either this week or next week. I could see him play a some snaps against the Chargers and then be back full time the week after that.

RashanGary
10-20-2019, 11:18 PM
If we have Adams, MVS is a serviceable 2 guy. He’s limited in some ways, but he’s special in one very important way. He’s a good fit for our offense.

pbmax
10-20-2019, 11:19 PM
Teammates and injuries. GMo, MVS and King.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/10/20/packers-dedication-wounded-receivers-provides-inspiration/4026598002/

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 04:34 AM
https://twitter.com/hailrodgers12_/status/1186033097705426946?s=21

The hilarious part about this is I’m pretty sure AR planned to do it because he looked over at Lafleur to see if he timed it up right. Either way a good clip. Cool or funny, one or the other.

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 04:47 AM
RashanGary mentioned last week that that Carr is really good at getting rid of the ball quickly. It's hard to sack that guy. Bears didn't get to him either a couple of weeks ago. He's been sacked 8 times in 6 games.

If Oakland finished with touchdowns, it’s a different game. Oakland is pretty good, and a bad matchup for us. But good god damn, the Packers played a great game with dominant offense and great red zone defense. There’s more out there though. The kick return unit was bad and JK had his first bad punt.

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 04:52 AM
Savage - Amos - Martinez look like the every down guys in the back middle of our defense this year

Situation and matching offensive group pending:

Goodson - Burks - Campbell - Redmond - Tramon

Will probably be splitting slot/inside duties when everyone is healthy.

Situationally, Goodson was a great pickup. You’d be hurtin if he had to play every down, but that trade looking smart because it shores up short yardage/goalline run defense. Goodson made a GREAT play on that goalline stand. A play Burks cannot make.

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 05:10 AM
Packers defense has to get better between the 20s. Redzone has been consistent, but it only takes a couple plays in an important playoff game to end your season if you’re relying too much on redzone defense. Hopefully Savage helps shore up those big plays that are killing our defense.

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 05:26 AM
If Lafleur really wants to cement himself as a player coach, I think he needs to come up with his own celebration. The guys would find it hilarious and I think the team would be genuinely motivated to play harder so they could get him to do it once in a while. Lafleur would graduate to hilarious dude and masters level “button pusher” at the same time.

run pMc
10-21-2019, 06:46 AM
11 plays of over 40 yards given up by the defense. That's a big problem.

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 07:34 AM
11 plays of over 40 yards given up by the defense. That's a big problem.

Pettine mixing in zone defenses, although we do play more man. Young defense. Struggling to communicate in zone. Redmond a big part of the problem with miscommunications. Hopefully Savage coming back and the young secondary growing together helps. If they can get that fixed, we have a chance at a SB.

pbmax
10-21-2019, 10:09 AM
The zone was the help the safeties and prevent big plays PLUS help with eyes on the run.

Wasn't doing much of either until second half.

Joemailman
10-21-2019, 10:13 AM
I think the problem with the defense right now is pretty simple. The Packers best free safety since Nick Collins is out with an ankle. He's been replaced by a practice squad level player.

pbmax
10-21-2019, 10:20 AM
I think the problem with the defense right now is pretty simple. The Packers best free safety since Nick Collins is out with an ankle. He's been replaced by a practice squad level player.

That is not helping, quite right. But that isn't exactly the best explanation for the run D. Would help cut down on explosive plays though.

pbmax
10-21-2019, 10:21 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz @WesHod
With Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Geronimo Allison playing through injury, Matt LaFleur integrated nearly all of the #Packers' WRs into the game plan Sunday:

Allen Lazard (51/60 snaps), Jake Kumerow (43), Allison (34) and MVS (20). #Packers

I SEEM TO REMEMBER ANOTHR COACH GOING OUT OF HIS WAY TO PLAY LOTS OF PERSONNEL GROUPINGS. NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN.

Tony Oday
10-21-2019, 10:45 AM
Our WR Corp still is not good. A lot of #3s but no bonafide #2. Remember the Raiders are terrible against the pass so don't anoint these guys yet.

pbmax
10-21-2019, 11:12 AM
Our WR Corp still is not good. A lot of #3s but no bonafide #2. Remember the Raiders are terrible against the pass so don't anoint these guys yet.

Agree. But the rotation gets different skills sets out there and allows the offense to tailor the plays in a way that complicated the Defenses preparation.

Its a good idea, but it will eventually be adjusted to.

Joemailman
10-21-2019, 11:14 AM
That is not helping, quite right. But that isn't exactly the best explanation for the run D. Would help cut down on explosive plays though.

It might have something to do with the run D. For one thing, on that early big run by Jacobs, the last 25 yards were after a pathetic missed tackle by Redmond. Also, I suspect they are using Amos in different ways than they would be if Savage were in there.

Smidgeon
10-21-2019, 11:18 AM
There was one play in the fourth (I think) where Gary just trashed the RT. Threw him aside. Literally. Carr had the ball out by then and it was a backup tackle, but that was fun to watch. (I think it was about 12 minutes left in the 4th).

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 11:45 AM
The zone was the help the safeties and prevent big plays PLUS help with eyes on the run.

Wasn't doing much of either until second half.

The zone is to make sure they’re not running the same defense over and over and making it easy to call man beaters for the offense. Our guys aren’t as good at zone. They’re better at man. That’s why we play more man. We don’t play more man because we’re bad at it. That would be retarded and Pettine doesn’t have a job because he’s a football retard. He has a job because he puts his guys in positions that accentuate their strengths.

Football is very simple. Play to strengths and exploit weaknesses. Any thing beyond that is over complication for the sake of overcomplication. Otherwise known as mental masterbation.

pbmax
10-21-2019, 12:17 PM
The zone is to make sure they’re not running the same defense over and over and making it easy to call man beaters for the offense. Our guys aren’t as good at zone. They’re better at man. That’s why we play more man. We don’t play more man because we’re bad at it. That would be retarded and Pettine doesn’t have a job because he’s a football retard. He has a job because he puts his guys in positions that accentuate their strengths.

Football is very simple. Play to strengths and exploit weaknesses. Any thing beyond that is over complication for the sake of overcomplication. Otherwise known as mental masterbation.

Your second paragraph is arguing against the first.

They played more zone versus Oakland than any other game I have witnessed. I don't have the snap counts and I would not bet a large sum of money, however I think it was clear.

We can argue why, but they decided to do it to either help the safeties, prevent big plays, help in run game, confused Carr or some combo thereof. I think being able to disguise your backend D is worth the growing pains.

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 01:03 PM
I disagree, Pb. To me, Football is throwing, catching, blocking, tackling, running and a slew of other physical tasks that require aggressive
Physical exertion and a drive to win or dominate. I just don’t see it as much of a head game as you do. That’s chess or mathematics. Football is won by strong, aggressive men. That’s why there are only strong aggressive men in football. But I respect your difference of opinion. I mist think you’re flat out wrong. But who knows, I’ve been wrong before too. Wherever floats your boat :lol:

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 01:05 PM
Nobody knows for sure, but I sure think you’re wrong quite often :lol:

pbmax
10-21-2019, 01:08 PM
I disagree, Pb. To me, Football is throwing, catching, blocking, tackling, running and a slew of other physical tasks that require aggressive
Physical exertion and a drive to win or dominate. I just don’t see it as much of a head game as you do. That’s chess or mathematics. Football is won by strong, aggressive men. That’s why there are only strong aggressive men in football. But I respect your difference of opinion. I mist think you’re flat out wrong. But who knows, I’ve been wrong before too. Wherever floats your boat :lol:

Then explain how judo works Rashan. Or this play from Dallas. Big, strong and fast can be made to work against you.

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1186294304635002882

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 01:08 PM
And sorry for being a dick. Over complicating punching someone in the face makes my skin crawl :lol:

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 01:10 PM
It’s kinda both, but more of a physical game IMO. Chess requires physically moving pieces but it’s more mental.

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 01:12 PM
Math, science, chess.... those don’t require physical feats quite as much as football. That’s how I see it anyway. Again, I’m quite often wrong so I certainly don’t claim to know it all. I just know enough to win money and that’s all that matters to me at the moment.

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Everyone has a different way of saying it I guess. Pettine says, “football is a simple game over complicated by coaches.”

I don’t really care what Pettine says, but I do happen to agree. I’m good at sports cuz I’m aggressive, athletic and I have a knack for exploiting weaknesses. So I have my own reasons to keep it simple. It just so happens most coaches have similar opinions. Doesn’t mean we’re all right, of course. We could all be wrong and you the stand alone right one. I’m open to that as a possibility. I just don’t care to prove it. I’d rather just win money and talk shit.

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 01:35 PM
In the words of joe Thomas

I’ve finally figured out what I want on my tombstone (after much contemplation)...

“That’s not holding, you just suck”

RIP Self

End Thomas quote from twitter

And that is football in its purest form

Bossman641
10-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Gruden's offense impressed me quite a bit. I expected him to just come out and try to run the ball down our throat but they had a game plan for throwing the ball and executed it well. Need Savage back cause Redmond is a mess.

mraynrand
10-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Just got home from the game. Hard to beat a Packer win on a perfect fall afternoon.

Some thoughts:

I think perhaps Arod is back.

If anyone knows any miracle healers, please send them Darnell Savage's way.

Thrilling to see a passing offense where the backs are regarded as a weapon and not just a safety valve.

In a span of about 5 minutes on the clock Packers went from looking like they would fall behind by 4 to having an 18 point lead.

MVS: Speed kills. Nice yards per catch.

Great day for football. Stadium looked great. They do a great job showing replays for plays under further review. For some odd reason they kept showing AFC highlights from just two games all game long. No Loins-Vikings updates. WTF? Also, the stress on making the stadium loud is fucking obnoxious. Lambeau is a quiet crowd in general, but pumping in sound to 100 decibels between too many plays (right up to the start of plays) is jarring. If I wanted to go to an NBA game where I can’t hear the person next to me, I’d do that. They are turning Lambeau into a shit hole with the noise thing.

Crowd got a wave going and Rodgers and Exxon Valdez shut that down by connecting on their TD. Well done guys.

I was batting about 33.33% (repeating of course) on people getting the “Leeeeroy Jenkins” nickname. Well, at least I had chicken.

Fritz
10-22-2019, 11:18 AM
I wonder, going forward, if perhaps Ibrahim Campbell will be healthy enough to really help this defense. I think he's supposed to start practicing soon, if he hasn't already. I haven't heard much.

IF he can come back without having lost any of his already-negligible speed, he could be a tremendous asset to this defense. He's a Pettine guy and he plays smart.