PDA

View Full Version : One on One, What Do You Do?

pbmax
10-21-2019, 02:42 PM
I actually disagree with Waldman here. Conley must choose between forcing Jones outside (getting to use sideline as 12th defender) or forcing him back inside.

Most teams teach defenders to use leverage to enable your help, which is inside. I don't know the Boys defense well enough to even guess what they want him to do.

Conley's last step, which renders him vulnerable to the cutback, ends Jones run toward the sideline. His inside help is late and one of them got blocked into the backfield because he is in too much of a hurry.

I think he played this right, but the tackle attempt was poor. His help allowed a first down.

https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/status/1186084506505285632

pbmax
10-21-2019, 02:43 PM
You could argue that since he is effectively unblocked (his WR blocked down) he should force as Waldman suggests. Curious what you guys think.

Cheesehead Craig
10-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Waldman seems to have wanted Conley to shoot upfield and be an aggressor on the tackle and force the issue with Jones. I can agree with that as the worst case Jones has to slow down or change direction sooner and his help is allowed to get there sooner and I think make it a negative yardage play.

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 03:09 PM
A better football player makes that tackle. He failed trying to do it the right way, but he still failed. When Nick Collins played, he makes that tackle every time.

So this guy didn’t fail mentally but he failed physically. You’re not mad at him for being a defiant ass hole who’s doing whatever he wants and ignoring coaching, but you still have to replace him if he does that a lot because he sucks at tackling and that’s his main job.

RashanGary
10-21-2019, 03:27 PM
Part 1 play your leverage and be in the right spot
Part 2 if the ball carrier gets to you, tackle him

He was in the right spot and missed the tackle. If you don’t think defenders are supposed to tackle, you’re really over thinking, Pb. It’s not a math assignment dude

pbmax
10-21-2019, 04:22 PM
If I am that player (not knowing what the rules of the defense call for) I probably slow shoot and aim for the outside shoulder to force him to either beat me with speed even though I have an angle or force him inside. I do think waiting here did not help unless he gets it wrapped up.

Cheesehead Craig
10-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Ironically, he was just traded to Houston today

pbmax
10-21-2019, 06:56 PM
Ironically, he was just traded to Houston today

Bill O'Brien is going the full Hue Jackson.

texaspackerbacker
10-21-2019, 07:56 PM
The outside guy is taught to turn the play in - which he did, holding Jones to a fairly short gain. Making the tackle is good (for the DB), but it's secondary to turning him in. Jones juked him and almost got outside for a long gain.