PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers/Chiefs Discussion Thread

Joemailman
10-21-2019, 08:03 PM
Packers 3-7-1 lifetime in regular season vs. Chiefs.

Packers won last meeting on September 28, 2015 38-28. The only other time Rodgers faced the Chiefs was when the Chiefs ended the Packers long winning streak in 2011.

Packers favored by 3 obviously reflecting expectation that Mahomes won't play.

Since 2009, Packers are 7-15 in road prime time games.

Packers have never faced Mahomes' replacement, Matt Moore.

texaspackerbacker
10-21-2019, 08:12 PM
After the way Carr used mobility to defeat the Packers pass rush, I hate to think what Mahomes woulda done - even more mobile than Carr and probably a better passer too. We ought to be able to pressure Moore a lot.

They say K.C. is a little weak at DB, so hopefully Aaron Rodgers can keep on keeping on and LaFleur doesn't take it into his head to depart from what they did last week.

Joemailman
10-21-2019, 08:18 PM
http://www.anima2011.eu/image/680525.jpg
https://a3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/121/207890589fff4f36949d0290410927ea/full.jpg

texaspackerbacker
10-21-2019, 08:22 PM
HARD to argue with logic like that, Joe.

hoosier
10-21-2019, 08:37 PM
Packers never play well at Arrowhead. Chefs are going to be pumped up after winning their first game without their star QB. Packers offense is still a work in progress. Chefs roll, 38-24.

texaspackerbacker
10-21-2019, 08:41 PM
More so in basketball than football - where one guy makes a bigger difference usually, but how many times have you seen a team get all hyped up and win the first game after the star goes out - then settle back to playing at a lower level? I could see the Chiefs going that route.

Joemailman
10-21-2019, 08:44 PM
Chiefs are another team that have trouble getting consistent pressure on QB. They have 20 sacks, but that number is skewed because 9 of them were against the immobile Joe Flacco. Their pass defense has been pretty stingy with only 8 TD passes allowed. The run defense is the 2nd worst in football, so expect to see a lot of Aaron Jones and Jamall Williams.

Radagast
10-21-2019, 09:32 PM
The Chiefs, without Mahomes, are not as good of a football team. However that does not fully guarantee another Packer victory.

Taking any NFL team for granted is folly and I don't believe that HC LaFleur will. KC still has one hell of a defense. Game planning will still be required.

Mahomes backup will have a week to prepare to play, but could see a lot of time on the turf. Luck could give the Chiefs 1 or possibly more big plays.

I expect a Packer victory, but they will still have to play in a football game.

yetisnowman
10-21-2019, 09:46 PM
There's absolutely no reason GB should lose this game. KC's defense is improved, but I think the O-line/Rodgers neutralizes a lot of what they are good at. Maybe I'm drinking the kool-aid, but I think Aaron is in such a zone that GB should handle any team below the very top tier. And KC without Mahomes is certainly below that. They have enough weapons and scheme to exploit the pass D a bit and keep it competitive. But Pack protect the ball and pull away in the 2nd half. Comfy win 37-20

Radagast
10-21-2019, 10:18 PM
There's absolutely no reason GB should lose this game. KC's defense is improved, but I think the O-line/Rodgers neutralizes a lot of what they are good at. Maybe I'm drinking the kool-aid, but I think Aaron is in such a zone that GB should handle any team below the very top tier. And KC without Mahomes is certainly below that. They have enough weapons and scheme to exploit the pass D a bit and keep it competitive. But Pack protect the ball and pull away in the 2nd half. Comfy win 37-20

I fully agree, but one should never take any NFL team for granted.

As for the Chiefs vs Packers, the main focus of the game will be GB's offense vs KC's defense. GB should win this battle. The other battle between KC's offense and GB's defense should see a superior GB defense smother the Chiefs "Mahomesless" offense.

This is still indeed a regular season NFL game, yet I believe that it will turn into an elevated Packer practice as new and before unseen plays will be run. Add to that a less mobile Chiefs QB and the sack/pick totals could be nicely added to. Crosby may get a FG opportunity, but Extra points should be his main job in this game.

Additionally, I forsee KC punting a lot and would be pleased to see Savage get the corn cob out of his ass and produce some kick returns.

Go Pack Go !

call_me_ishmael
10-21-2019, 10:38 PM
I just don't see KC winning this game without Mahomes. I don't believe they have the defense, running game and short passing game of say NO or the OL of Indy to win consistently with a back-up. Beyond that, those teams have *legit* backups. Is Matt Moore Ted Bridgewater? I doubt it.

I would feel better if the Packers had the missle back and healthy in the secondary. He's got the Chettah stoppin' speed.

texaspackerbacker
10-21-2019, 11:14 PM
Additionally, I forsee KC punting a lot and would be pleased to see Savage get the corn cob out of his ass and produce some kick returns.

Go Pack Go !

Has there EVER been any talk or thought of using Savage as a punt returner - or kick off for that matter?

Tony Oday
10-22-2019, 02:08 AM
Defense finds its legs between the 20s and the offense booms. 38-10 Packers.

Radagast
10-22-2019, 02:54 AM
Has there EVER been any talk or thought of using Savage as a punt returner - or kick off for that matter?

I stand corrected, I ment to write Shepherd but wrote Savage instead. You get a gold star there Tex.

Some nice kick returns from Shepherd would be nice to see.

pbmax
10-22-2019, 07:39 AM
More so in basketball than football - where one guy makes a bigger difference usually, but how many times have you seen a team get all hyped up and win the first game after the star goes out - then settle back to playing at a lower level? I could see the Chiefs going that route.

Paul Justin!

hoosier
10-22-2019, 07:47 AM
Jesus, you have to bring that one up again? :-)

pbmax
10-22-2019, 07:48 AM
Jesus, you have to bring that one up again? :-)

If its a painful fact that never should have happened, I am on it. Or Rand will remind us.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-22-2019, 08:40 AM

J-Alex returning punts and kickoffs would be awesome.

Before anyone cries about injury risks, lemme say that Belichick puts Edelman out there all the time to return punts. Players play.

hoosier
10-22-2019, 08:56 AM
If its a painful fact that never should have happened, I am on it. Or Rand will remind us.

For trivia laughs, anyone remember how the Colts's starting QB that year got hurt? No internet research allowed!

mraynrand
10-22-2019, 09:18 AM

I was at that game. I had my “Count On Losing This Sunday” poster on display. Total backfire! Evil Colts O-line with Tony Manwich deliberately injured Gilbert Brown.... Fat Colts fan was lucky he didn’t take a poke at me as I would have laid him out.

Chiefs have loads of skill players on offense. Sorry, but the Pack will struggle mightily to win this one. Suspect it will be somewhat of an offensive let down. KC will sell out against the pass and get enough sacks: force some TOs, and win it 35-28.

mraynrand
10-22-2019, 09:19 AM
For trivia laughs, anyone remember how the Colts's starting QB that year got hurt? No internet research allowed!

Hairball groin shot?

mraynrand
10-22-2019, 09:33 AM
Fun fact: Hairball and chess player Josh Waitzkin met at the same performance training institute, LGE. It worked for Waitzkin at least....

Joemailman
10-22-2019, 09:53 AM
One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is that after a great start,the Chiefs offense had struggled for a couple of games before Mahomes got hurt. In fact, they've now gone 3 straight without gaining 400 yards.

My concern though is that Andy Reid will find ways to exploit Will Redmond.

Fritz
10-22-2019, 11:12 AM
One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is that after a great start,the Chiefs offense had struggled for a couple of games before Mahomes got hurt. In fact, they've now gone 3 straight without gaining 400 yards.

You make it sound so dirty.

mraynrand
10-22-2019, 12:51 PM

I couldn't wait. Hairball hurt (highlight): his hand punching Jim Kelly (who was doing color commentary for CBS), because Kelly asserted that Hairball overstated his injuries.

Oh, and Hairball did get at least one year of decent performance out of LGE - almost got to SB XXX over Pittsburgh...

hoosier
10-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Hairball groin shot?

Chin shot.

run pMc
10-22-2019, 06:54 PM
They don't have Mahomes, but they still have all their skill players. If Reid schemes to protect Moore and get the ball to the playmakers the Packers will have trouble. KC's run D is worse than GB's; I almost wonder if this is one of those games where the best way to defend KC is to keep your offense on the field for 6+ minute drives.

Arrowhead is a tough place to play, and both teams will be pumped for MNF.

RashanGary
10-22-2019, 07:56 PM

Tyreek Hill was down for a while. He’s an elite WR. So that was a big part of it. Eric Fisher down too. LT injury always hurts. And then Chris Jones on defense. A worse defense takes longer to get off the field and affects the offense opportunities.

Health was a big part of that. All three guys may be back vs Packers. There’s a chance they’re better than we might expect.

pbmax
10-23-2019, 08:57 AM
Fun fact: Hairball and chess player Josh Waitzkin met at the same performance training institute, LGE. It worked for Waitzkin at least....

I might have to buy this book. The Perlman book about the USFL (Football for a Buck) was fantastic just for its ex NFL QB anecdotes.

https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/jim-harbaugh-chess

mraynrand
10-23-2019, 03:01 PM
I might have to buy this book. The Perlman book about the USFL (Football for a Buck) was fantastic just for its ex NFL QB anecdotes.

https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/jim-harbaugh-chess

Yeah, I ran across the connection reading Waitzkin's book. Not a bad book. Interesting guy to be sure and a few pearls of wisdom in there. Plus, Hairball likes chess. "Queen to Queen's level two, Mr. Hairball"

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 03:11 PM
Chiefs talking about playing Mahomes. This is a tough game for them, but Mahomes already had a bad ankle so a week or two off will help him in more ways than one. They should rest him at least a week.

pbmax
10-23-2019, 04:08 PM
^ Gamesmanship or stupidity? You make the call.

pbmax
10-23-2019, 04:13 PM
Russians, Chinese and Patriots have much better photos of practice. But Savage was limited participant.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHl0NYKXUAIGuxV?format=jpg&name=small

pbmax
10-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Someone start a thread and let the arguing commence!

@MikeGarafolo
Josh Gordon believes he’s close to returning to play, source says. So his IR designation today means he’s likely done with the #Patriots but could be available for teams as a free agent soon. Very interesting.

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Adams and Savage back at practice. Lafleur seems to be bringing guys back to practice part time. The next week full time practice with part time play. And the following week full go. That’s what happened in preseason with guys who missed extended time, like Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams....

So that’s what I expect here. Either limited participation all week with no game action. Or limited with full on Friday and part time game action. Definitely not full go for either player. Lafleur has never done that .

pbmax
10-23-2019, 04:21 PM
@PeteDougherty
As many reported, Darnell Savage (ankle) and Robert Tonyan (hip) returned and took part in this light practice.

I cannot find Adams back at practice.

He stretched!

@ByRyanWood
#Packers WR Davante Adams went through stretching at start of practice, first time since injuring his toe vs. Philly, but he went inside Don Hutson Center (presumably to further rehab) immediately after stretch.

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 04:22 PM
Savage has been impressive in many ways, but none more than when his ankle and knee got rolled up on in a way that made his leg look like Gumby and dude somehow didn’t have serious damage. I’ve never seen a knee so laterally flexible. But I had a feeling when I saw it, I said to myself, damn, that knee bends sideways so naturally. Not human, but natural for this guy. And I knew he’d be back soon.

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 04:23 PM
@PeteDougherty
As many reported, Darnell Savage (ankle) and Robert Tonyan (hip) returned and took part in this light practice.

I cannot find Adams back at practice.

He stretched, then went indoors. I saw video

pbmax
10-23-2019, 04:28 PM
Video of Savage in coverage. It was a light workout today and this looks half speed.

https://twitter.com/packers/status/1187117781336150017

pbmax
10-23-2019, 04:38 PM
@BillHuberSI
Everyone’s present today, including this guy. Rodgers, Adams, Graham and Lewis went inside at start of drills but returned as we exited.

@BillHuberSI
Rodgers, Graham and Lewis returned as we left. Not Adams.

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Injury report says savage and Tonyan full go. We’ll have a really good feel by friday I think. But those two look likely to be back.

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 05:41 PM
If Adams is still out, Tonyan is a nice piece to be back. He has some movement type blocking skills that our other guys don’t have. And he’s fairly fast and sure handed so he brings a pass catching dynamic as well. Just one more piece that can help hold is over till 17 is back.

Joemailman
10-23-2019, 05:41 PM
Chiefs not ruling out Mahomes. That could just be a ploy to force the Packers to prepare for 2 different QB's. Will be an exciting night though if Mahomes, Adams and Savage can all play.

I think they's be foolish to rush him back though. They're in a weak division. This isn't close to a must-win game for them

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 05:43 PM
I don’t want Mahomes to play. It’s a road game. I just want a win.

Joemailman
10-23-2019, 05:46 PM
https://primary-cdn-shortstop.espn.net/94f55af5-9ea3-49fe-8b5c-58c42d4f9327.png

Joemailman
10-23-2019, 05:48 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/buqAdshfwUrNAiAcHknBni443u4=/0x0:1742x648/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:1742x648):format(webp):no_upscal e()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19314091/Screen_Shot_2019_10_23_at_5.31.15_PM.png

mraynrand
10-23-2019, 08:25 PM
Video of Savage in coverage. It was a light workout today and this looks half speed

Wait, where is he - where is #21?

pbmax
10-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Wait, where is he - where is #21?

To avoid spies they have changed his practice jersey number to 26. Or 20.

pbmax
10-23-2019, 10:30 PM

He needs at least three weeks. I would live for them to start him.

MadScientist
10-24-2019, 03:24 PM
He needs at least three weeks. I would live for them to start him.

If KC is even thinking of starting him, they should show them RGIII in the playoffs and ask if that's what they want. Either that or to protect Mahomes, they'd probably have to wrap the knee enough that he has Lynn Dickey mobility.

QBME
10-24-2019, 06:11 PM
If KC is even thinking of starting him, they should show them RGIII in the playoffs and ask if that's what they want. Either that or to protect Mahomes, they'd probably have to wrap the knee enough that he has Lynn Dickey mobility.

:)

bobblehead
10-24-2019, 06:23 PM

What is it that Ric Flair says?

Joemailman
10-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Listened to Pettine today talking about how it's so hard to prepare for Tyreek Hill because you can't simulate in practice what he does.

That should be some battle between Hill and Alexander.

mraynrand
10-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Listened to Pettine today talking about how it's so hard to prepare for Tyreek Hill because you can't simulate in practice what he does.

Should have kept Tyreek Davis on the team to simulate Hill.

Cheesehead Craig
10-24-2019, 06:46 PM
What is it that Ric Flair says?

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/63/47/83/634783c510e2564240db54ee141213e3--fighting-memes-ric-flair.jpg

RashanGary
10-25-2019, 03:32 PM
Chiefs beat up bad

Mahomes
DL Jones and Clark (ouch)
OL Fisher and Wylie (ouch)
Nickle CB

Their CBs are suspect and their best two pass rushes out. That’s a horrible combination. They have their backup QB starting and missing two starting OL. Ouch!!

We’ve lost so many games when our team are beat up. I’ll take joy on beating a good team when they’re beat up! It’s about time we get a break!

RashanGary
10-25-2019, 03:35 PM
Offense playing well without Adams and building valuable chemistry with QB1. I’d ride one more week with the crew we got. Adams healthy is so important to our SB chances.

RashanGary
10-25-2019, 03:53 PM
Savage back should help. 1st, he’s the guy who had the most chemistry at free safety this year. But also, guys like Sullivan and Redmond can focus in on the nickel and dime positions instead of being over loaded with multiple positions. So this will make them better too.

Joemailman
10-25-2019, 05:31 PM
With the exception of Adams, that's a pretty good injury report for this point of the season.

https://primary-cdn-shortstop.espn.net/d0234911-4534-40d3-9e78-296b35161996.jpeg

RashanGary
10-25-2019, 06:50 PM
Feels like the first time in 10 years we’ve had less major injuries than the opposition.

RashanGary
10-25-2019, 06:55 PM
If it was a McCarthy team we would have seen Adams back without missing a week and then he would be injured and barely effective for 4 weeks, at which point his toe would be permanently damaged, his season would be over and his career would never be the same.

texaspackerbacker
10-25-2019, 07:35 PM
I don't recall McCarthy rushing players back, especially with consequences down the road.

Apparently, based on that list, Linsley got hurt in practice, and Tonyan somehow got re-injured or regressed. That's unfortunate in both cases.

Among the many reasons the Packers have done so well this season is LUCK - that much disparaged force - in the form of less injuries than a lot of other teams. My completely uninformed guess about Adams is that he will not play, but they are keeping the chance alive so K.C. needs to prepare that way - kinda like they are doing to us with Mahomes.

yetisnowman
10-25-2019, 07:38 PM
As of 2 hours ago, Mahomes officially ruled out. Gotta win this one.

Teamcheez1
10-25-2019, 07:54 PM
Tonyan now downgraded to doubtful. I'm beginning to wonder if his days with the Packers ware numbered if he can't get on the field.
In 21 games with the Packers (excluding injured games), he has only 9 catches.

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2019, 12:48 AM
Tonyan now downgraded to doubtful. I'm beginning to wonder if his days with the Packers ware numbered if he can't get on the field.
In 21 games with the Packers (excluding injured games), he has only 9 catches.

He's barely played in those games.

red
10-26-2019, 06:04 PM
martinez ruled as doubtful

do we have any other ILBs?

Joemailman
10-26-2019, 06:20 PM
martinez ruled as doubtful

do we have any other ILBs?

Burks and Ty Summers. Curtis Bolton in IR. Ibraheim Campbell (S/LB) on PUP.

Did Martinez get downgraded? he was full participation last few days.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001069498/article/roundup-packers-lb-blake-martinez-questionable

The Packers' resident tackling machine, linebacker Blake Martinez, is questionable for Sunday night's game against the Chiefs, Green Bay announced on Saturday.

Martinez is dealing with wrist and hand injuries, according to the team website. He practiced fully all week before Saturday's designation.

The linebacker, who hasn't missed a game over the last two seasons, leads the NFL with 76 tackles.

bobblehead
10-26-2019, 10:12 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/63/47/83/634783c510e2564240db54ee141213e3--fighting-memes-ric-flair.jpg

TO BE THE BEST.....YOU GOTTA BEAT THE BEST.....WOOOOOOO!! WOOOOOO!! WOOOOOO!!

wist43
10-26-2019, 11:23 PM
Martinez has not played well this season. He was better last year, and last year he was average.

Average is his ceiling... hoping they let him walk in the off season.

Burks can't play at all... throw Summers in there - with no one else on the roster, got nothing to lose.

call_me_ishmael
10-27-2019, 12:40 AM
If it was a McCarthy team we would have seen Adams back without missing a week and then he would be injured and barely effective for 4 weeks, at which point his toe would be permanently damaged, his season would be over and his career would never be the same.

This is beyond stupid.

Radagast
10-27-2019, 05:33 AM

I still recall watching "Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling" one Saturday afternoon when Ric Flare made his wrestling debut. His elaborate robes, signature walk and Wooo war call developed over time. Not many can recall that he wrestled against the likes of Blackjack Mulligan, Paul Jones, Wahoo McDaniels, and the Anderson Brothers. Flare's original figure 4 hold set him apart from wrestlers like Johnny Weaver and even Jimmy "superfly" Snuka. I once met Ivan Koloff at a K-Mart sponsored personal appearance. Nice fellow, but not someone a sane man would want to tangle with.

As for the Chiefs vs Packers, the Packers should get the road win.

red
10-27-2019, 08:51 AM

if it was still fat mikes team he would be week to week with a minor "foot" for about 6 weeks before finally going on IR

red
10-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Burks and Ty Summers. Curtis Bolton in IR. Ibraheim Campbell (S/LB) on PUP.

Did Martinez get downgraded? he was full participation last few days.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001069498/article/roundup-packers-lb-blake-martinez-questionable

i thought i head or saw doubtful, but everything i see now is questionable

KYPack
10-27-2019, 09:39 AM
I was at that game. I had my “Count On Losing This Sunday” poster on display. Total backfire! Evil Colts O-line with Tony Manwich deliberately injured Gilbert Brown.... Fat Colts fan was lucky he didn’t take a poke at me as I would have laid him out.

Chiefs have loads of skill players on offense. Sorry, but the Pack will struggle mightily to win this one. Suspect it will be somewhat of an offensive let down. KC will sell out against the pass and get enough sacks: force some TOs, and win it 35-28.

I was at that game. Had a seat right on the 50 8 rows behind the Packers bench. Lindy Infante was the Indy coach. Jeff George with a concussion?

Joemailman
10-27-2019, 11:47 AM
I was at that game. Had a seat right on the 50 8 rows behind the Packers bench. Lindy Infante was the Indy coach. Jeff George with a concussion?

Jim Harbaugh started 11 of their games. Justin 4 Kelly Holcombe 1.

pbmax
10-27-2019, 04:02 PM

Just reading those names is painful.

And earlier today, ESPN was airing an interview with Paul McDonald, 4th round Browns pick (looked it up and was surprised I got it right the first time). Sound was off, but maybe it was about USC and/or John Robinson?

Same brand of terrible backup NFL QB though.

KYPack
10-27-2019, 04:17 PM

You looked it up, you dog.

So why was Harbaugh out?

Joemailman
10-27-2019, 04:33 PM
You looked it up, you dog.

So why was Harbaugh out?

Yeah, I was surprised to see Harbaugh's name in there. Probably hurt himself strutting around.

Cheesehead Craig
10-27-2019, 04:58 PM
TO BE THE BEST.....YOU GOTTA BEAT THE BEST.....WOOOOOOO!! WOOOOOO!! WOOOOOO!!
That's wrong! It's If you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man! Whooo!!!

KYPack
10-27-2019, 07:00 PM
Martinez has not played well this season. He was better last year, and last year he was average.

Average is his ceiling... hoping they let him walk in the off season.

Burks can't play at all... throw Summers in there - with no one else on the roster, got nothing to lose.

He leads the NFL in tackles and has had a brilliant season.

Hope he gets healthy.

We don't go where we want to go w/out Blake.

red
10-27-2019, 07:52 PM
He leads the NFL in tackles and has had a brilliant season.

Hope he gets healthy.

We don't go where we want to go w/out Blake.

its the hawk debate all over again

who cares if he makes a ton of tackles 8 yards down the field?

iLB in our system is gonna have a ton of tackles. especially when theres only one of you when theres suppose to be 2 out there

is he making any big plays? not so much

he's not sucking, but he's nt having a brilliant season either. somewhere in the middle

pbmax
10-27-2019, 10:54 PM
who cares if he makes a ton of tackles 8 yards down the field?

I care. Its better than 15 yards down the field and losing Tramontana from getting hurt dragging a RB down.