PDA

View Full Version : If the packers trade for good defensive lineman, this will hep the run defense tremendously

australianpackerbacker
10-22-2019, 05:44 AM
Hey all,

Long time no post.

The packers are short one semi-dominant defensive lineman to be able to compete for a superbowl this year.

Thoughts?

I was also gonna say a WR, but in all honesty if this team gels and MVS starts making more plays, and Allison becomes a consistent security blanket/possesion guy, i think its enough with the RBs we have.

Also, did anybody notice Jimmy Grahams second gear on that catch and run? I was convinced he was done after multiple tackles within 2 yards of catching the ball. This could be an anomoly or he may be healthy, but i think hes still too fragile to be even a consisten answer for rodgers this year...seems like hes right on the edge of falling off, if he hasnt fallen already?

Miss you all.

pbmax
10-22-2019, 07:42 AM
I agree but finding those guys mid-season is like striking gold. Pretty rare you scoop up Howard Green off the waiver wire. And pass rushing, hard even with a trade.

I too was surprised by Graham's speed on that catch. It'd be great if he is finally getting healthier.

mraynrand
10-22-2019, 07:45 AM
Maybe they can work rookie TE Stromberg into the lineup by the end of the season. Could compensate if Graham crumbles.

I don’t know if there is a run stopping tackle available. Maybe ATL will give up Grady Jarrett? lol.

pbmax
10-22-2019, 07:47 AM
Speaking of Falcons, Patriots traded for Sanu: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001068463/article/patriots-trade-for-wr-mohamed-sanu-from-falcons

mraynrand
10-22-2019, 01:01 PM
How about Steve McLendon from the Jets? 10 year vet, maybe shore up the backup nose tackle spot. He's a 'starter' but plays half the snaps because they drafted Quinnen Williams to take his spot.

run pMc
10-22-2019, 01:02 PM
Speaking of Falcons, Patriots traded for Sanu: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001068463/article/patriots-trade-for-wr-mohamed-sanu-from-falcons

For an R2 pick. Sanu is a good player but that feels steep.

australianpackerbacker
10-23-2019, 03:07 AM
I agree but finding those guys mid-season is like striking gold.

Dont know what the Jets are thinking, but id really like to see a Leonard Williams to GB trade scenario. A second and a third might be too low to get it done but i feel thatd be worth it.

australianpackerbacker
10-23-2019, 03:11 AM
We need run stoppers with slightly above mediocre pass rush skills, because theyre not gonna play NT, just END. Its hard watching Lowry and Adams/Lancaster get pushed off the spot so easy while Klarc Cent just hammers through, then all the QB needs to do is step up in the pocket, and the RB just needs to wait for his blocks to develop. If we had someone that could at least hold the spot, the run game would improve tremendously, which would allow the defense to be more aggressive.

australianpackerbacker
10-23-2019, 03:13 AM
Im only saying all this shit is cos were really not far off from a superbowl, just literally 2-3 players away, 1 WR 1 TE and a solid DE. We can do without the first 2 because Rodgers is still Rodgers.

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 05:45 AM
It’s a good idea for sure. Teams draft big guys first and never trade good ones. They’re too rare.

australianpackerbacker
10-23-2019, 07:15 AM
It’s a good idea for sure. Teams draft big guys first and never trade good ones. They’re too rare.

Laremy Tunsil? :) I understand its a tank job, and this is super embarrassing for the NFL in my opinion because there are a lot of things that can go wrong, not only with player safety but karmically(im a hippy at heart, what goes around comes around, that shits in the bible too yo) but the NFL has shown this year that teams are willing to trade away core players for a draft pick, not just the dolphins either...

And this could be a stepping stone to the demise of the great NFL, when pigs become hogs, they get slaughtered.

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 09:46 AM
Laremy Tunsil? :) I understand its a tank job, and this is super embarrassing for the NFL in my opinion because there are a lot of things that can go wrong, not only with player safety but karmically(im a hippy at heart, what goes around comes around, that shits in the bible too yo) but the NFL has shown this year that teams are willing to trade away core players for a draft pick, not just the dolphins either...

And this could be a stepping stone to the demise of the great NFL, when pigs become hogs, they get slaughtered.

Very true... who do the dolphins have at DL :lol:

Fritz
10-23-2019, 11:03 AM
How about Steve McLendon from the Jets? 10 year vet, maybe shore up the backup nose tackle spot. He's a 'starter' but plays half the snaps because they drafted Quinnen Williams to take his spot.

Since it appears that Detroit is in "sell" mode, I wonder if GB would benefit by trading for Snacks Harrison in order to shore up that run defense and give Kenny Clark a break?

I'm not sure how much Snacks is getting paid.

pbmax
10-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Since it appears that Detroit is in "sell" mode, I wonder if GB would benefit by trading for Snacks Harrison in order to shore up that run defense and give Kenny Clark a break?

WR money.

Damon Harrison signed a one year extension on August 22, 2019 worth $11.25 million. The total paper value of the three year contract is $27.5 million. The extension gives Harrison $8.5 million in full guarantee with an additional $3.5 million injury guarantee in 2020. Harrison's 2021 contract year is a team option year due by the last day of the 2020 league year. Harrison can earn up to $500,000 ($31,250 per game active) in roster bonuses in all three years of the contract.

https://overthecap.com/player/damon-harrison/978/

run pMc
10-23-2019, 02:14 PM
Thought I heard some rumblings about DET wanting to get out from the contract, that his production wasn't worth it. Snacks is good, but $11.25M? Ouch. Imagine what Kenny Clark's gonna get.
Lowry is ok and Lancaster's good playing the run, but they have room to improve.

2-3 players away, 1 WR 1 TE and a solid DE.
APRH, I'd add a ILB who could cover to that list.

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 03:15 PM
Honestly, the defense was getting off early in the year with pressures, sacks and big plays. Guys like Z, P, Clark and Lowry were so successful with the stunts and line games that they started to force the issue at times when it wasn’t quite as appropriate. They’ve realized the error of their ways and that looks to be fixed from within house.

I always want better players. Better WRs, OLBs ILBs OL DL QBs.... everything. I want better everything. But the Packers are pretty good and have a 5 year window here with Rodgers. Gotta be smart with the shots we take.

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 03:21 PM
We only have one decent linebacker. His stats suggest he’s one of the best in the NFL, but his play suggests he’s just solid. Gonna be hard to afford him next year. Clark is one of the top under 25 big guys in the league. Gonna be hard to pay him. Jones and Jamaal Williams are really nice pieces to the offense. Gonna have to pay them if we wanna keep them.... Bulaga??

We have a salary situation that needs to be taken into account with every move. Do you sign an average player at a place of need and then let a really good one go and create a new place of need? I’m not a fan of all that. Plus lose a valuable rookie contract player on top of it. We have a lot of big contracts. What we need is good drafts so we can fill in the blanks with small contracts.

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 03:25 PM
The Packers know what they have on Alex Light. I hate to lose Bulaga, but that’s already the kind of decision making we’re down to with the salary situation.

Graham needs to go. That contract is ridiculous. Tramon needs to go. Lane Taylor needs to go.

Bulaga?
Crosby?
Martinez?
A Jones?
J Williams?

We can’t keep them all. Who goes?? And who’s out there that is so good that teams can’t wait to trade them away?? It sounds really good to just add a guy and make the team better, but what does it cost? Who has to to because of it?

call_me_ishmael
10-23-2019, 10:14 PM
Why can't they keep them all? Cap keeps going up. Lots of ways of making it work. Bulaga is clearly the best player of the bunch above. Little doubt he is resigned on a 2 year contract but fat money.

ARod window is a few short years left. The days of letting the Micah Hyde's of the world walk for nothin' are done until that window slams shut.

Joemailman
10-23-2019, 10:44 PM
Why can't they keep them all? Cap keeps going up. Lots of ways of making it work. Bulaga is clearly the best player of the bunch above. Little doubt he is resigned on a 2 year contract but fat money.

ARod window is a few short years left. The days of letting the Micah Hyde's of the world walk for nothin' are done until that window slams shut.

They can keep most. There's a lot to consider. They can save about 8 million by cutting Graham. 4.5 million by cutting Lane Taylor. Tramon will be a free agent, so that would be 6 million off the books. The salary cap will probably go up about 10 million. Packers currently have 10 million in cap space. That's the good news. The bad news is that the cap hits of Rodgers, P.Smith, Z Smith and Adams will go up a combined 30 million next year. In addition to the guys RG mentioned, Kenny Clark and Bakhtiari have contracts that expire after the 2020 season.

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 11:27 PM
Rodgers mentioned Alex Light as a guy who really took the second year leap today. I’m not so sure they plan on paying Bulaga.

If you have a good young player it’s bad business to overpay an old expensive one. Money better spent elsewhere

But I don’t know their full opinion of Light so it’s all speculation.

RashanGary
10-23-2019, 11:31 PM
I think if you let Bulaga go, you could keep them all, including Bakh and Clark. I would be looking hard for Crosby’s replacement though. That’s an easy way to save 5M

call_me_ishmael
10-23-2019, 11:43 PM
This thread is silly. The Packers will be able to keep all of their good players if they so choose. They don't have very many of them compared to much of the rest of the league. If you can keep a superstar right tackle and keep your franchise QB safe, or a running back, every general manager in the NFL takes the tackle. It's a no brainer.

So much discussion about letting players go and always looking forward into the future. The players that are here now are good players and winning games. No sense in talking about letting a stud walk out the door so you can speculate on undrafted free agent Alex Light.

Joemailman
10-23-2019, 11:53 PM
No team can keep all of their good players, except maybe for the teams with very few good players. Teams have to prioritize. That's how we end up with free agency.

Patler
10-24-2019, 12:42 AM
I have figured Bulaga would follow the paths of Sitton, Lang and Matthews and not be offered a contract. Much was said in preseason about how Bulaga had significantly changed his off season program to try and get away from the nagging injuries he has had, which also resulted in him losing weight. Writers have stated he looks much different, more fit.

John Kuhn commented on it this week, while saying Bulaga has been hands down the Packers best lineman so far. Said he is not at a pro-bowl level, he is at an all-pro level. Said it is dramatic how well Bulaga is playing.

If Bulaga holds up for the season, I am beginning to think GB might try to keep him.

texaspackerbacker
10-24-2019, 01:32 AM
Kuhn may not be a very objective observer. Clearly, Bulaga and the line in general have been playing better than previous seasons, but they still haven't been able to run outside much on either Bulaga or Bakhtiari's side, and while pass protection has been better, it still isn't what it should be most of the time. I would say low ball Bulaga and try to keep him that way. If somebody wants to pay him big, let him go. Same thing for Tramon. I wouldn't even low ball Lane Taylor. I was just getting around to jumping on the cut Jimmy Graham bandwagon, but maybe there's still some hope. If he seems worth keeping into next season, maybe restructure his contract.

australianpackerbacker
10-24-2019, 05:05 AM
Thought I heard some rumblings about DET wanting to get out from the contract, that his production wasn't worth it. Snacks is good, but $11.25M? Ouch. Imagine what Kenny Clark's gonna get.
Lowry is ok and Lancaster's good playing the run, but they have room to improve.

APRH, I'd add a ILB who could cover to that list.

I agree, Martinez is a high effort, smart guy that is a little physically unimpressive. But we can win with him in my opinion.

australianpackerbacker
10-24-2019, 05:07 AM

I dont think that would be a good trade for the packers, its be a great one for the Lions. If things didnt work out too, you lose a pick and 11mil to a division rival and get criticized by the fans and media for it.

australianpackerbacker
10-24-2019, 05:09 AM
The Packers know what they have on Alex Light. I hate to lose Bulaga, but that’s already the kind of decision making we’re down to with the salary situation.

Graham needs to go. That contract is ridiculous. Tramon needs to go. Lane Taylor needs to go.

Bulaga?
Crosby?
Martinez?
A Jones?
J Williams?

We can’t keep them all. Who goes?? And who’s out there that is so good that teams can’t wait to trade them away?? It sounds really good to just add a guy and make the team better, but what does it cost? Who has to to because of it?

If i were to pick out of that list, in this order i would keep:
Jones
Crosby
Martinez
Williams

I agree with you about the rest.

Patler
10-24-2019, 07:22 AM
Kuhn may not be a very objective observer.

Why, just because he is a former Packer? Does he have a more personal relationship with Bulaga than with the other linemen that would cause him to volunteer the comparative comment of Bulaga versus the others?

I take all talking heads comments with a grain of salt, but I have no reason at this point to be any more skeptical of Kuhn's opinions than others. Besides, Kuhn didn't say anything that others have not opined about Bulaga this year already.

I assumed GB wouldn't even make an offer to Bulaga. I'm not yet arguing that the should, but I am no longer so certain that they won't. I think quality OTs are very difficult to find, and rarely available in free agency. Heck, Marshall Newhouse is still a starting LT, and for the best team in the league at that.

run pMc
10-24-2019, 11:07 AM
Bulaga is playing the best of the starting 5OL right now. He's outplayed Bahk, who will get Pro Bowl consideration just on reputation and playing for a winning team.
I think Rodgers has been sacked something like 7-8 times this year total -- much fewer than last season. You can choose how you like to spread credit to Rodgers, the scheme, coaching or OL for that.

texaspackerbacker
10-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Why, just because he is a former Packer? Does he have a more personal relationship with Bulaga than with the other linemen that would cause him to volunteer the comparative comment of Bulaga versus the others?

I take all talking heads comments with a grain of salt, but I have no reason at this point to be any more skeptical of Kuhn's opinions than others. Besides, Kuhn didn't say anything that others have not opined about Bulaga this year already.

I assumed GB wouldn't even make an offer to Bulaga. I'm not yet arguing that the should, but I am no longer so certain that they won't. I think quality OTs are very difficult to find, and rarely available in free agency. Heck, Marshall Newhouse is still a starting LT, and for the best team in the league at that.

I said MAY not be hahahahaha. I don't know, but there MAY well be something to his bias in favor of a former teammate - nothing wrong with that.

I thoroughly agree about the talking heads, though.

No question Bulaga has been better - I think it's a bit of exaggeration to say he's playing at Pro Bowl level or near it. I wouldn't mind having him back, but all things (including injuries) considered, I hope it is for a pretty low amount.

australianpackerbacker
10-24-2019, 10:05 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/24/report-jets-listening-to-offers-for-leonard-williams/

Just like i thought. Now its just a matter of whether the packers are interested, and who gives the best compensation.

RashanGary
10-24-2019, 10:14 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/24/report-jets-listening-to-offers-for-leonard-williams/

Just like i thought. Now its just a matter of whether the packers are interested, and who gives the best compensation.

I’m just curious why you thought he’d be available. I just would have never guessed so I’m curious what you’re looking at to notice that

australianpackerbacker
10-24-2019, 10:28 PM
I’m just curious why you thought he’d be available. I just would have never guessed so I’m curious what you’re looking at to notice that

The Jets record, contract year. Not watching as much tape as i used to, so cant comment on his play so far this year. The Jets have a habit of drafting really good defensive lineman with top picks and not giving them second contracts.

He's the type of guy who would perform a lot better for a different team. And his personality doesnt fit the Jets. Hes a good guy!

I've always been pretty good at judging talent, im not really exactly sure myself how i saw this coming, it just seemed like it would. It might not still.

RashanGary
10-24-2019, 11:52 PM
The Jets record, contract year. Not watching as much tape as i used to, so cant comment on his play so far this year. The Jets have a habit of drafting really good defensive lineman with top picks and not giving them second contracts.

He's the type of guy who would perform a lot better for a different team. And his personality doesnt fit the Jets. Hes a good guy!

I've always been pretty good at judging talent, im not really exactly sure myself how i saw this coming, it just seemed like it would. It might not still.

Makes sense.

run pMc
10-25-2019, 03:00 PM
Lining up L. Williams next to Clark (with or instead of Lowry) would be pretty great. Given the money they gave Lowry and the money they will give Clark, I'm wondering about how they'd feel about having to sign Williams to keep him too.
This feels like a NE type of thing where they throw a R2 at the Jets and get him to replace Micheal Bennett. Although being in the same division probably nixes that.

Fritz
10-26-2019, 10:22 AM
Lining up L. Williams next to Clark (with or instead of Lowry) would be pretty great. Given the money they gave Lowry and the money they will give Clark, I'm wondering about how they'd feel about having to sign Williams to keep him too.
This feels like a NE type of thing where they throw a R2 at the Jets and get him to replace Micheal Bennett. Although being in the same division probably nixes that.

It probably doesn't make sense financially for the Packers to go after a guy like Williams for a rental. If they gave up a second and got back a third for the compensatory pick, it's a pretty big loss plus the money they'd owe Williams for this season.

Yet, of all the moves the Packers could make, I think giving Kenny Clark some help is the one that would help this team the most. The defense is not as shut-down as they were the first couple of weeks of the season, and I attribute that in part to Kenny Clark's effectiveness. He was really moving the pocket and shutting down the run in the middle. Now he's gimpy and already seems a little worn out. Getting the defensive line back up to how it played earlier in the season would fix a lot of what ails this team.

bobblehead
10-26-2019, 10:35 AM
I have figured Bulaga would follow the paths of Sitton, Lang and Matthews and not be offered a contract. Much was said in preseason about how Bulaga had significantly changed his off season program to try and get away from the nagging injuries he has had, which also resulted in him losing weight. Writers have stated he looks much different, more fit.

John Kuhn commented on it this week, while saying Bulaga has been hands down the Packers best lineman so far. Said he is not at a pro-bowl level, he is at an all-pro level. Said it is dramatic how well Bulaga is playing.

If Bulaga holds up for the season, I am beginning to think GB might try to keep him.

100% agree. He is looking awesome. He is run blocking. He is setting up a wall. If he finishes like he started a Jimmy Graham 3 year dealshould be offered. One that allows escape after 2 years. Give him a nice signing bonus, with a gameday active bonus each week. Ismael is right (i feel dirty), we don't have to lose anyone.

bobblehead
10-26-2019, 10:40 AM

He is really good. I would welcome the addition, but do you want to sacrifice a top pick for a guy you have to pay right away.

australianpackerbacker
11-01-2019, 02:14 AM
A real shame we didnt get this guy, could have helped us tremendously.