PDA

View Full Version : Cool Article

ZachMN
10-24-2019, 03:33 PM
Not sure if anyone else has seen this:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/24/20929818/green-bay-packers-makeover-nfl-elite-matt-lafleur-aaron-rodgers?fbclid=IwAR1i_-JpbR3NJJn278FoqRpJmckxUI3vdkznrKfeZuiYGv-GmeUl4EvKOB8

mraynrand
10-24-2019, 03:38 PM
“I was like, ‘Bro, if you was here last year, you would be very grateful for the shit they play now.’”

Pretty much sums up my experience at Lambeau on Sunday.

ThunderDan
10-24-2019, 04:01 PM
Great article. Thanks for posting it.

Patler
10-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Probably a huge factor in GB going out on the limb spending so much free agent money:

Milt Hendrickson, who joined the franchise as the director of football operations earlier this year, came from Baltimore and had known Za’Darius for years. And first-year inside linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti had occupied that role in Washington for Preston’s entire career. Gutekunst felt that the Packers were on solid ground to be aggressive—and they wasted no time.

It's refreshing when players are honest about their free agent decisions:

A frigid, quiet town may not seem like the most desirable destination for top-flight NFL free agents, but Amos and the Smiths are willing to admit that considerations like location, scheme, and franchise pedigree were less important than securing the most lucrative deal on the table. “Of course the money factor is the biggest thing,” Amos says. “I’m a fifth-rounder.” The Packers’ biggest free-agent signings didn’t choose Green Bay because of history or mystique. They chose it because the Packers—for the first time in recent memory—were willing to throw around cash other teams weren’t.

Fritz
10-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Probably a huge factor in GB going out on the limb spending so much free agent money:

It's refreshing when players are honest about their free agent decisions:

So I should just go ahead and admit to my wife I married her because she's got such a great ass?

SudsMcBucky
10-25-2019, 12:16 PM
So I should just go ahead and admit to my wife I married her because she's got such a great ass?

That would be better than admitting you married her because she had a lot of money.

call_me_ishmael
10-25-2019, 12:35 PM
Lol, this is an amazing quote.

Preston Smith learned about the four-year, $52 million deal (with a $16 million signing bonus) that Green Bay had offered him just after arriving at the airport near his home in Atlanta. “I called my financial adviser and told him I landed,” Smith says, “And he said, ‘Yeah … in a big pot of cash.’

This one too.

“After [my agent] told me the price, I was like, ‘Fuck yeah, let’s go!’” Smith says. “I’m gonna be cold as shit, but let’s go.”

Truly a tremendous off-season in GB. It's still early with regard to Matty, but the early signs sure are promising.

KYPack
10-26-2019, 10:51 AM
“I was like, ‘Bro, if you was here last year, you would be very grateful for the shit they play now.’”

Pretty much sums up my experience at Lambeau on Sunday.

Rand, I was at the Raiders game mesself. I really liked the spunk at the game. I really dug those situational vids that showed the Smith bros telling the crowd to raise hell. The vids are really done well. The old vids looked like old time public service announcements.

Good thread Zach.

mraynrand
10-26-2019, 11:04 AM
Rand, I was at the Raiders game mesself. I really liked the spunk at the game. I really dug those situational vids that showed the Smith bros telling the crowd to raise hell. The vids are really done well. The old vids looked like old time public service announcements.

Good thread Zach.

I was plus/minus. Overall just way too loud with the music in between right up to the snaps. I liked the vids. I’m OK with the decibel reminder. I like loud stadiums but mostly when it’s organic. Cincinnati fans routinely stand the entire game. They’re into it. It feels natural. The piped music at 90 decibels or more - that’s too much. I didn’t like it when they did it in the NBA and don’t like it in football. And I’m pretty sure I was at some of the loudest Bucks games in Arena history. (Victories over Bird/Exhale!/Parrish Celtics and DrJ/Moses Malone Sixers. But that was all fan driven. (With the old organ being played during breaks).

KYPack
10-26-2019, 12:47 PM
I was plus/minus. Overall just way too loud with the music in between right up to the snaps. I liked the vids. I’m OK with the decibel reminder. I like loud stadiums but mostly when it’s organic. Cincinnati fans routinely stand the entire game. They’re into it. It feels natural. The piped music at 90 decibels or more - that’s too much. I didn’t like it when they did it in the NBA and don’t like it in football. And I’m pretty sure I was at some of the loudest Bucks games in Arena history. (Victories over Bird/Exhale!/Parrish Celtics and DrJ/Moses Malone Sixers. But that was all fan driven. (With the old organ being played during breaks).

I hear that.

I had trouble with those those kids carrying huge flags back and forth across the goal line. I like my cheerleaders on the female wholesome trashy side.

KYPack
10-26-2019, 12:48 PM

I can tell her if ya want.

RashanGary
10-26-2019, 01:25 PM
It’s the NFL and winning is so important. That noise really helps. I was really loud at Lambeau before it was cool. Old people would look at me all pissed off, but we’re there to help the team win. It’s my only time I can contribute. So I always did and do.

mraynrand
10-26-2019, 11:06 PM
It’s the NFL and winning is so important. That noise really helps. I was really loud at Lambeau before it was cool. Old people would look at me all pissed off, but we’re there to help the team win. It’s my only time I can contribute. So I always did and do.

I’m fine with fan noise from the fans. Love it.

Radagast
10-27-2019, 10:14 AM
Not sure if anyone else has seen this:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/24/20929818/green-bay-packers-makeover-nfl-elite-matt-lafleur-aaron-rodgers?fbclid=IwAR1i_-JpbR3NJJn278FoqRpJmckxUI3vdkznrKfeZuiYGv-GmeUl4EvKOB8

First, thanks for bringing this article to our attention. I would rather read such things sometimes as compared to some of the rhetoric that appears here. Thanks again.

I pulled up this article and did my best to read it all. However halfway through it began to not hold my attention. I do fully agree with most the articles major points, but not all. Updating the facilities was a good touch. I've also agreed with most of the personal changes. I do still remain uncommitted to Rashan Gary and Jace Sternberger (TE), but I'm not complaining about the 6-1 current team record. With Gutekunst being more attentive to team needs this past offseason, I anticipate more of the same following this season. That said, I foresee more attention to be focused at the WR/ILB/and OT positions.

The article lead off with the change in the music played at the practices. I say if that is what everyone likes then it's all good. The request availability does seen the fairest method for scheduling a play list. Some would play just one style and not care if it was bothering anyone else. Request from all players/coaches should be respected and apparently are.

Music, while a fine thing, does not substitute for the crowd noise that they will encounter.(especially at away games) Practice with very loud crowd noise blaring must also be a regular part of every practice to develop non-verbal communication skills. KC is one of those very loud stadiums and verbal signals don't always work at such places.

I'm more than pleased with the 2019 Packers and can only foresee more improvement this season and into the future. The GM and HC are doing well and speculation over player trades/changes seems stupid to me. I'm as aware of the teams needs, but one never screws around with a team when their winning. A discussion more suitable in my opinion for after Feb.2, 2020's SB game.

mraynrand
10-27-2019, 10:47 AM
First, thanks for bringing this article to our attention. I would rather read such things sometimes as compared to some of the rhetoric that appears here. .

Piss off

pbmax
10-27-2019, 03:18 PM

Yes. But for the love of McCarthy, don't tell her you asked us first.

pbmax
10-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Best bits:

“It’s rare that a GM thinks there are more holes to fill on a defense than a defensive coordinator does,” Pettine says. “Usually, the ones I’ve been around, it’s ‘This is a playoff roster,’ and you don’t feel that way. He did not need much from me. He was very well aware of our issues.”

“This is probably the most fun I’ve ever had coming to work, and coming to play football, ever. Even when I was a kid. You’re just so excited to get in here.” —Blake Martinez

Having read A LOT of these articles about new coaches, let me tell you that new paint, pictures and slogans will mean nothing very, very soon. But getting by in from players is huge.