PDA

View Full Version : Biggest threat to GB in the NFC

hoosier
10-28-2019, 10:08 AM
At the halfway point the Packers are tied for second-best record in the conference, a game behind San Francisco and a game ahead of Minnesota and Seattle.

We knew the Saints and Vikings would be good, and with Russell Wilson the Seasquawks aren't a huge surprise. Nobody, however, expected the 49ers to be undefeated and three games ahead of the Rams in the loss column at this point.

It was easy to write the 49ers success off as product of a weak schedule. But now they have beaten two good teams in convincing fashion and the cold hard numbers say they are not just the best team in the conference but the best in the league.

Simple Rating System rankings as of 10/28

49ers 17.1
Pats 15.5
Packers 8.7
Vikings 7.4
Chefs 7.3
Saints 6.0
Rams 5.7
Squawks 0.1 (#17)

17.1 is historically great, better than '85 Bears and second only to 2007 Patriots. I haven't watched the 49ers, but on paper they don't look like all that: Garoppolo's numbers are just average, nobody really jumps out at you on offense, and even if the defense is great, that shouldn't put them much above the 2018 Bears. I would expect 49ers to come down to earth
in the second half of the season, but there' a very good chance Packers won't get a first-round bye and would have to win road games at both New Orleans and Santa Clara to get to the SB. Good luck.

Zool
10-28-2019, 10:55 AM
You play the schedule you're given, and outside a few really terrible teams, most teams are pretty close talent-wise. Confidence has a lot to do with winning, and the 49ers have a lot of it right now.

Fritz
10-28-2019, 11:48 AM
At the halfway point the Packers are tied for second-best record in the conference, a game behind San Francisco and a game ahead of Minnesota and Seattle.

We knew the Saints and Vikings would be good, and with Russell Wilson the Seasquawks aren't a huge surprise. Nobody, however, expected the 49ers to be undefeated and three games ahead of the Rams in the loss column at this point.

It was easy to write the 49ers success off as product of a weak schedule. But now they have beaten two good teams in convincing fashion and the cold hard numbers say they are not just the best team in the conference but the best in the league.

Simple Rating System rankings as of 10/28

49ers 17.1
Pats 15.5
Packers 8.7
Vikings 7.4
Chefs 7.3
Saints 6.0
Rams 5.7
Squawks 0.1 (#17)

17.1 is historically great, better than '85 Bears and second only to 2007 Patriots. I haven't watched the 49ers, but on paper they don't look like all that: Garoppolo's numbers are just average, nobody really jumps out at you on offense, and even if the defense is great, that shouldn't put them much above the 2018 Bears. I would expect 49ers to come down to earth
in the second half of the season, but there' a very good chance Packers won't get a first-round bye and would have to win road games at both New Orleans and Santa Clara to get to the SB. Good luck.

I think New Orleans is the class of the NFC, and probably even the NFL. 5-0 with your backup QB, and his name isn't even Taysom Hill? Wow.

Haven't seen San Fran play, so I don't know much. Still can't stand Pete Carroll and the Seachickens.

beveaux1
10-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Watched about half the SF vs Carolina game. SF defense is the real deal. Shanahan has the offense clicking with the outside zone.
Their main RB averages over 5 a carry. Garoppolo has been efficient but not earth shattering. We'll have problems with them in SF.

RashanGary
10-28-2019, 12:17 PM
I have saint, Packers, 49ers about equal. Saints schedule is really easy to finish out. 49ers is hard and Packers is fairly hard too.

Gonna be a battle

MadtownPacker
10-28-2019, 12:48 PM
Thinking about going to the @SF game. Just hoping they stay undefeated so it can be extra wild.

Miner fans had been hibernating but are now out of their closet (pun intended) loud and proud.

mraynrand
10-28-2019, 01:42 PM
Thinking about going to the @SF game. Just hoping they stay undefeated so it can be extra wild.

Miner fans had been hibernating but are now out of their closet (pun intended) loud and proud.

If they are both undefeated, I would recommend a Malbec and gouda for the tailgate... no - no - WAIT! go with Stag's Leap Merlot or Russian River Pinot. Yes, yes, that's perfect for an undefeated Nine tailgate.

MadtownPacker
10-28-2019, 01:45 PM
What you talking bout Willis? Packers already lost. I was referring to knocking off SF.

You mistake Levi stadium for Candlestick. Bunch of San Jose thugs there now.

mraynrand
10-28-2019, 01:52 PM
What you talking bout Willis? Packers already lost. I was referring to knocking off SF.

You mistake Levi stadium for Candlestick. Bunch of San Jose thugs there now.

I of course meant if SF was still undefeated. I've recovered from, but not forgotten the Philly debacle. Glad to see you can kick it with the homies in San Jose. Maybe take some NyQuill and Cheese Wiz (for cheese flavored nitro of course)?

MadtownPacker
10-28-2019, 03:56 PM
The only kicking it will be my head when I get jumped. Thug life had already reared its head my last regular season game at Candlestick. I guess I was seen as a traitor for being a Packer backer. Classics pleasantries like “you think you’re white” or “ fucking sellout bandwagoner” hurled my way after Favre diced them up. I was in full gear so no hiding. I did notice White fans did not receive the same welcome. Guess we are always hardest on or own.

mraynrand
10-28-2019, 07:44 PM
#packerprivilege

KYPack
10-28-2019, 09:35 PM
The only kicking it will be my head when I get jumped. Thug life had already reared its head my last regular season game at Candlestick. I guess I was seen as a traitor for being a Packer backer. Classics pleasantries like “you think you’re white” or “ fucking sellout bandwagoner” hurled my way after Favre diced them up. I was in full gear so no hiding. I did notice White fans did not receive the same welcome. Guess we are always hardest on or own.

You showed a pair wearing Packer gear. That shit is dangerous, no doubt.

Stay in neutral watching those road games.

I caught on ton of static in Indy for flying the green and gold.

MadtownPacker
10-28-2019, 10:58 PM
They know better then to mix it up with a crazy old mofo like you!

But back to the thread topic. I say SF. Seattle and NO just don’t seems as solid. Niners D is putting hurting on foolz. The offense is decent but will likely look great against the Pack D based on the last few weeks.

Tony Oday
10-29-2019, 05:48 AM
You play the schedule your given, I agree, but their schedule has been trash. The Pack will slice them up.

run pMc
10-29-2019, 10:18 AM
SF's DL is legit - they have 5 R1 picks: Dee Ford, Armstead, Thomas, Buckner and Bosa. That's a pretty good rotation, and they can stress a lot of teams.
The offense is mostly the run game and George Kittle, and those are areas that give GB problems. SF's WRs are ok...a lot of short quick guys (Goodwin is a burner, Richie James, Emmanuel Sanders, Dante Pettis). They're good enough to win with Shanahan's creativity, but I wonder how they'd do if you could press or play physical with them.

I think NO is playing very good -- their defense has played well and Brees is back. Michael Thomas is the man, and Kamara is a more talented Aaron Jones.

I'd put both of them above GB right now. MIN and SEA are right behind GB, and several other teams giving chase as well.
Minny has righted their ship but their schedule is going to get harder... at KC, at Dal, DEN, at SEA are their next 4.

texaspackerbacker
10-29-2019, 11:51 AM
I've avoided this thread up to now, as the NFC is pretty wide open this year and things have changed considerably just since the start of the season. I don't buy all the respect for New Orleans and San Francisco, but I'm not ready to pick a biggest threat just yet. The Saints do have a really easy schedule, though, so they may have the strongest chance to end up with the best record.

Don't count out the Cowboys and the Rams.

RashanGary
10-29-2019, 12:13 PM
Injuries gonna have a say. Philly and Dallas still have a shot too.

Fritz
10-29-2019, 01:42 PM
The Vikings are looking better and better.

But da Bears still suck!

woodbuck27
10-30-2019, 01:44 AM
New Orleans is the NFC Team to beat.

The Packers need to get on track defensively.

RashanGary
10-30-2019, 09:09 AM
If New Orleans loses Cam Jordan or two of their OL, they’re a different team. Injuries gonna have a say.

Packers/49ers/Saints
Healthy Cowboys
Healthy Eagles

I don’t see much separation between the 5 honestly. Health is gonna be a huge factor. But a bunch of NFC teams have a shot.

pbmax
10-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Not that worried about the Eagles. But can't have turnovers.

run pMc
10-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Hard to predict injuries. (Kevin King aside. OK, that joke is old and he's actually played this season.)

I was going off of things right now. SF will have tough games vs. LAR and SEA, but that D is no joke. NO went 5-0 with Teddy playing game manager and a stouter D than I expected. I think they are a step above GB right now but there are a lot of games left and a lot can happen.
I think DAL and PHI are good but flawed. MIN has turned it up but does anyone trust Cousins? Russell Wilson is having a really good year, but that team has its moments as well.

australianpackerbacker
10-31-2019, 01:19 AM
Green Bay is the 2nd or 3rd best team in the NFC. Injuries need to go their way for them to be highly successful. I think were one or 2 blue chip players away from being SB winners next year.

mraynrand
10-31-2019, 07:02 AM
If New Orleans loses Cam Jordan or two of their OL, they’re a different team.

Who are you, Jeff Gillooly?

pbmax
10-31-2019, 10:58 AM
Who are you, Jeff Gillooly?

He's not saying, he just saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZdIbJZdSZw

pbmax
10-31-2019, 11:01 AM
Just for Rand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOMj7WttkOA

mraynrand
10-31-2019, 03:17 PM
That Leeroy Jenkins thing is my new ringtone. At least I have chicken.

RashanGary
10-31-2019, 06:07 PM
Green Bay is the 2nd or 3rd best team in the NFC. Injuries need to go their way for them to be highly successful. I think were one or 2 blue chip players away from being SB winners next year.

Z
Preston
AR
Davante
Clark
Alexander/King (together they equal one anyway)
Bakh/Bulaga (together)
Jenkins/Lindsley/Taylor (together)
Jones/Williams
Amos/Martinez

We have a bunch of talent. A bunch!!! Health bounces go our way, I like our chances!

RashanGary
10-31-2019, 06:13 PM
Where’s the weak spot on defense?

Alexander/King/Amos/Savage
Martinez
Z/Clark/mont Adams/Lowry/P

The 11th guy is situational (Goodson/Burks/Tramon/Sullivan/Redmond)

Depending on if they’re matching up against a big TE or a WR or a RB, etc..)

RashanGary
10-31-2019, 06:15 PM
Offensively we have 5 good OL.
HOF QB
Two good running backs
Three tight ends with different skill sets
Adams

A hodgepodge or mix and match receiving talent to mix and match situationally.

Crosby, Scott

I think we have a chance this year.

Cheesehead Craig
10-31-2019, 06:18 PM
Believe it or don't, the Vikings are essentially completely healthy. Thielen is the only person who was a limited participant in a practice yesterday. And he's expected to play on Sunday versus the Chiefs

RashanGary
10-31-2019, 06:27 PM
Believe it or don't, the Vikings are essentially completely healthy. Thielen is the only person who was a limited participant in a practice yesterday. And he's expected to play on Sunday versus the Chiefs

That chiefs game is a big one for Minnesota. Packers just went into their house and won. Vikings get essentially the same team. The fans gonna be so dejected if they can’t keep pace with Packers