PDA

View Full Version : Coach McCarthy Insane?

KYPack
09-11-2006, 10:19 AM
I think M3 might be nuts.

Check this post game quote....

first-year coach Mike McCarthy....

"As I look down the road,'' he said, "our biggest challenge will be handling success, that has been my experience.''

WTF, this he sees as out biggest challenge?????

Yeah, we are all real worried about how the ballclub will handle all the coming success.

How about scoring ?

or winning a freakin' game ?

This is a goofy statement. I am wondering more & more about this whole regime.

No Mo Moss
09-11-2006, 10:21 AM
He's trying to be positive, can't blame him for that.

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Ok, so maybe right now their biggest challenge is HAVING successes, but I get what he's trying to say.

retailguy
09-11-2006, 10:37 AM

Weren't we sold a bill of goods on the guy that he was an HONEST blue collar, hard working, no nonsense, no bs kind of guy?

Wouldn't you expect him to say - "WE SUCK and WE'VE GOT A LOT OF WORK TO DO?" Followed by "I AM EMBARRASSED?"

I do blame him for being positive. I want him to be HONEST. "Handling success" is not being honest. It is a cop-out. It is SPIN. It is wrong.

I am done. :wink:

mraynrand
09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
I would think their biggest challenge is to keep coming up with game plans that put a governor on Favre in the first half. Guy goes 5-5 in the half, was throwing darts for 20 yard gains, and they ran three times and punt. If you really have no confidence in the guy, or your that worried about him getting hit, you should have put him in the china cabinet (over there in the back by Grandma's turkey plate), and just forfeited the season.

Somehow last year, with shitty guards, including Grey Reugamer, a guy on his last legs with a sports hernia (Flanagan), and pathetic wide receivers, including Chatman, Thurman, and DONALD FREAKIN' LEE, the Packers were able to go up and down the field.

The Packers went out of their way to take the ball away from Favre until it was too late (essentially the second half). How does McCarthy explain that away? 5 passes, 5 completions in the first half. What game was he watching? That's an inexplicable abberration and McCarthy's worried about too much success?

No Mo Moss
09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Things like that don't need to be said. They did their talking on the field....I think every single person in that locker room knows they need to play better.

No Mo Moss
09-11-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm not trying to be an apologist, but after a game like that...beating down the team seems to have no value.

Joemailman
09-11-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm reading between the lines here, but I think what McCarthy was saying was that he feels the team will not be fazed or intimidated by the current lack of success. What concerns him is how the team will handle success when that success does come.

red
09-11-2006, 10:59 AM
there was one point later in the game, when a camera was on him, and he looked right into it for a second and he gave a look i'll never forget. it was a combination of WTF, OMG, i suck, we suck bad and get me out of here

did anyone else see that look?

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 11:00 AM
What were you expecting? That smug little grin that Lovie was sporting all game long?

KYPack
09-11-2006, 11:00 AM

Weren't we sold a bill of goods on the guy that he was an HONEST blue collar, hard working, no nonsense, no bs kind of guy?

Wouldn't you expect him to say - "WE SUCK and WE'VE GOT A LOT OF WORK TO DO?" Followed by "I AM EMBARRASSED?"

I do blame him for being positive. I want him to be HONEST. "Handling success" is not being honest. It is a cop-out. It is SPIN. It is wrong.

This guy thinks he can mouth platitiudes and make bullshit statements and remain credible to Packer Fans?

He's got another think coming.

If M3 doesn't get serious and sober about his job and the impact public pronouncements can have on his job status, he ain't gonna be around long.

He still thinks he can bullshit his way thru this thing.

He can't.

red
09-11-2006, 11:02 AM
What were you expecting? That smug little grin that Lovie was sporting all game long?

i think i liked shermans clueless gaze on his play sheet better then the MM look yesterday

and thats saying a lot because i wanted sherman fired just for that look

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Now THAT'S saying something.

KYPack
09-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Ok, so maybe right now their biggest challenge is HAVING successes, but I get what he's trying to say.

Zig,

Seriously,

Whip it on me.

What is he trying to say?

I just think he's being fulla shit & I'm fired up over it.

Also, I don't think we should have to get a UN interpreter to figure out what this boy is talking about, but tell me what yer interpretation of this cryptic message is.

Joemailman
09-11-2006, 11:10 AM
This guy thinks he can mouth platitiudes and make bullshit statements and remain credible to Packer Fans?

He's got another think coming.

If M3 doesn't get serious and sober about his job and the impact public pronouncements can have on his job status, he ain't gonna be around long.

He still thinks he can bullshit his way thru this thing.

He can't.

McCarthy will have credibility with the fans if he wins. The key right now is whether the players buy into what he is telling them. If the players believe what he is teaching will lead to success, he will have a good chance. If not, he will be on the scrapheap before long.

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 11:13 AM
In listening to the whole theme, he is saying that it's easier to learn from getting your ass whipped than it is from doing stuff right a few times and getting cocky and no longer listening to those trying to teach you. He was speaking to the learning aspect of it which he usually is. I think this comment is mistimed and premature, but like I said, if you put it into the context of a teaching environment, your worst nightmare is to have a certain amount of success in doing something the wrong way. I think that's what he was after, he just should not have said it when he did.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2006, 11:15 AM

Screw the fans. There isn't anything you can say after a 26-0 loss at the home opener against your rival that will make you look credible. People would boo the Gettysburgh address at this point.

As No No Moss points out, your public statements now are strictly made for your team.

KYPack
09-11-2006, 11:19 AM
In listening to the whole theme, he is saying that it's easier to learn from getting your ass whipped than it is from doing stuff right a few times and getting cocky and no longer listening to those trying to teach you. He was speaking to the learning aspect of it which he usually is. I think this comment is mistimed and premature, but like I said, if you put it into the context of a teaching environment, your worst nightmare is to have a certain amount of success in doing something the wrong way. I think that's what he was after, he just should not have said it when he did.

Well, er, ah, OK.

I guess I'm dumber than I thought I was, but your take made some sense. I know about that "being right for the wrong reasons" bit. It is a bitch & if MM is scared of that, I don't blame him a bit.

I will forward your resume to the UN for a job as a Mike McCarthy to English interpreter.

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 11:20 AM
I could use the job. I also speak TT.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2006, 11:22 AM

"As I look down the road,'' he said, "our biggest challenge will be handling success, that has been my experience.''

Is this a quote from after game? I remember him saying this in interview done a day or two prior to the game. It was on JSO or the Gazette website.

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Yes, it was at the very end of a 9-minute press conference that was all about learning from this experience. Sadly this is the quote that will likely appear on PFT in the very near future.

retailguy
09-11-2006, 11:27 AM
McCarthy will have credibility with the fans if he wins.

BULL. Sh.... Joe I couldn't disagree with you more. Sherman Won. for FIVE seasons he WON. but he didn't win the big one.

M3 will have credibility WHEN AND ONLY WHEN HE WINS A SUPER BOWL.

Period. That's the kind of fans we have now.

I am not fond of this hire, but I respect M3 because he got the job. I won't continue to respect him if he doesn't make progress.

It's early, but yesterdays team was NOT competitive in any aspect. They got outplayed on both sides of the ball, they got outplayed on special teams, and, most importantly, they got OUT COACHED. Big time.

Lots of work to do. Lets see the guy roll up his sleeves and make this team competitive. I don't give a shit about wins right now, I want to see competitive football. I sure as heck didn't see that yesterday. I didn't even see many flashes of being competitive.

retailguy
09-11-2006, 11:34 AM

i think i liked shermans clueless gaze on his play sheet better then the MM look yesterday

and thats saying a lot because i wanted sherman fired just for that look

It is not often that we agree Red, but I saw that look too. It made my stomach churn.

He didn't have a clue what what happening, how it happened, or what he could do about it. It was really scary.

Hopefully that changes, and he "gets a gameplan" and sticks with it.

I loved Ahman running, but in the 4th quarter? Hell we should have been no huddle with 4 wr's and NO ONE in the backfield for the whole freaking half. What was the point of running? Safeties should have been deep enough that we couldn't "break one on the ground" no matter how big the hole was. What was the point? I swear, I just don't get it.

I just do not understand.....

I drank a gallon and a half of kool-aid and it just doesn't help. I'm peeing every two minutes looking in the mirror saying wtf? was that?....

KYPack
09-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Yes, it was at the very end of a 9-minute press conference that was all about learning from this experience. Sadly this is the quote that will likely appear on PFT in the very near future.

Oh, I see why you were such a brainiac, you got the whole ramble. By itself, that quote looks pretty wacky.

I've had a few minutes to think about it, & I still don't give a shit. Learning experience, schmerning experience, the dumb bastard should NOT have made that quote, even if it was in context.

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 11:39 AM
That's what I said. Just because I understood what he was trying to say doesn't mean it was the right time or place to say it.

GBRulz
09-11-2006, 11:49 AM
I thought he was insane when he said the o-line was doing a good job (halftime interview)

nice avatar, Zig.... I want royalties for that pic :wink:

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks, GBR, I was wondering if you'd recognize it from the little bit that's left. Next time I'm in town, I'll buy.

swede
09-11-2006, 12:13 PM

Too right, Retail Man!

We were told that M3 was honest and direct. After the game I would have respected Mike much more if he had uttered your hypothetical quote, especially if he had added:

"As bad as this team sucked today my coaching staff and I were even worse. Maybe tomorrow I'll look at tape and find a few of my players did their jobs, but I know that no one on this coaching staff did."

At least he didn't say, "We''ll get that fixed."

mngolf19
09-11-2006, 12:36 PM
And you really should be hearing something like out of Detroit yesterday. The Lions coach was open and honest in saying we don't want moral victories, we lost, we weren't good enough. That's what I like to hear a coach say.

Rastak
09-11-2006, 12:39 PM
And you really should be hearing something like out of Detroit yesterday. The Lions coach was open and honest in saying we don't want moral victories, we lost, we weren't good enough. That's what I like to hear a coach say.

Well I like to hear "It was a great victory today" from my coach.....

Joemailman
09-11-2006, 12:57 PM
McCarthy will have credibility with the fans if he wins.

BULL. Sh.... Joe I couldn't disagree with you more. Sherman Won. for FIVE seasons he WON. but he didn't win the big one.

M3 will have credibility WHEN AND ONLY WHEN HE WINS A SUPER BOWL.

Period. That's the kind of fans we have now.

I am not fond of this hire, but I respect M3 because he got the job. I won't continue to respect him if he doesn't make progress.

It's early, but yesterdays team was NOT competitive in any aspect. They got outplayed on both sides of the ball, they got outplayed on special teams, and, most importantly, they got OUT COACHED. Big time.

Lots of work to do. Lets see the guy roll up his sleeves and make this team competitive. I don't give a shit about wins right now, I want to see competitive football. I sure as heck didn't see that yesterday. I didn't even see many flashes of being competitive.

We're not that far apart in how we feel. The line from my post which you quoted was in response to another poster who said McCarthy's credibility with Packer fans would be affected by the kind of public pronouncements he makes. My point was that McCarthy's credibility will be determined by the way the team plays on the field, not by what he says off it.

By the way, I think Sherman had credibility with the fans initially, even though he hadn't been to a Super Bowl. He lost it when we all saw him wilt under the pressure of the playoff game in Philadelphia. I, and I suspect a lot of other fans, stopped believing in him at that point.

jack's smirking revenge
09-11-2006, 01:00 PM
He's not insane. Everyone else is insane and trying to steal his magic bag.

tyler

mngolf19
09-11-2006, 01:03 PM

Touche

Rastak
09-11-2006, 01:05 PM

Touche

I hope like hell I hear it tonight.....

pacfan
09-11-2006, 01:23 PM

I think he might test positive....

Yesterday was a bad dream, play calling sucks just like it did under rosserly. Why didn't we use four wide's to stretch out the field?

I appreciate a committment to the running game, but how about committing to winning first? or better yet scoring.

Al Harris was slow, slow, slow. Manuel was slower and Woodson made Mushin look like Moss back in his viking days. I don't know why Collins gets to 36, he hasn't earned it.

What a crappy game.....

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 01:25 PM
What a crappy game.....

You'll get no argument from me on that one. (even if there were tiny glimmers of hope)

No Mo Moss
09-11-2006, 02:11 PM
I think handling success can be a huge challenge.

I can remember many games during Sherman's tenure where we would come out and beat someone that no one on the planet thought we could beat. Then promptly the next week we would lose to a team that no one in the world thought we could lose to. That's handling success poorly.

Fritz
09-11-2006, 02:15 PM
I will say this: when I read the sunday morning JSO interview with MM, it sure did sound like the guy kind of had trouble making connections between ideas. I mean, I understand that in an interview format the person being interviewed depends on the way he says things to get across certain emphases and transitions, but sometimes he just sounded strange.

Having said that, I'm not too worried about him, per se, at this point. In fact, I liked his game plan. Last year, Favre threw 50 passes and the Pack lost both games to Chicago. So how'd that work out?

Had the Pack executed on a couple of early third-and-short situations, Favre might have had more justified opportunities. In fact, if part of the purpose of a game plan is to get a team into third down and short situations, I'd say that the gameplan worked okay - to that extent. To me, it wasn't the gameplan that was the problem. It was the execution.

CaliforniaCheez
09-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Mike McCarthy may be a real fat Porky.

He may look mentally challenged and have a low IQ to match.

He might give the impression of being lazy.

But insane? No. Mentally challenged but not insane.

motife
09-11-2006, 05:03 PM
If all McCarthy had to worry about is player's not getting "the big head" from winning too often, I wouldn't complain.

My question is where and when in his career has this problem plagued him?

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 06:12 PM
I heard he did pretty well in NO.

vince
09-11-2006, 06:23 PM
I heard he did pretty well in NO.
Why, yes he did Ziggy. In fact, he presided over the most prolific offensive era in Saints history, with 10 team and 25 individual records set over 5 seasons.

The Saints led the NFC with 432 points and 49 touchdowns in 2002, both team records. In 2000, McCarthy was chosen NFC Assistant Coach of the Year by USA Today. The Saints had a 1,000 yard rusher in each of his 5 years calling plays.

Duece McCallister, Joe Horn, and Aaron Brooks all had by far their best offensive years under the tutelage of McCarthy, and the team experienced its greatest offensive success in history with McCarthy at the helm.

This entire thread is, with all due respect, an absolute joke - excluding Ziggy's retorts, of course...

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2011, 08:41 AM

WTF, this he sees as out biggest challenge?????

Yeah, we are all real worried about how the ballclub will handle all the coming success.

How about scoring ?

or winning a freakin' game ?

This is a goofy statement. I am wondering more & more about this whole regime.

I love bumbs. Looks like Mike McCarthy was not insane.
:)

Smidgeon
09-16-2011, 10:19 AM
These old threads are quite interesting. Even if I wasn't around for them.

But not one person thought McCarthy was simply confident? Was it because of the drubbing the team had just received, or was it something else? I remember thinking at the time that I thought he was confident in the team's ability to turn it around and be dominant in the long run--not the short term.

Fosco33
09-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Line between genius and insanity is pretty thin....

As more than casual fan w/o much actual knowledge, it's easy to judge M3/TT in the moment (why run on 2nd/1; why kick to Hester, etc.). But in longer term view, he's a good coach that seems to have his players on his side and has talent to produce.

rbaloha1
09-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Who cares? MM wins a super bowl and is positioned to win more.

mraynrand
09-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Who cares? MM wins a super bowl and is positioned to win more.

We want people to pay the penalty for their lack of vision.

MJZiggy
09-16-2011, 04:47 PM
We want people to pay the penalty for their lack of vision.

K, but if that's the case, I want it noted I got one right...

mraynrand
09-16-2011, 04:56 PM
K, but if that's the case, I want it noted I got one right...

I seriously thought I was going to get a witty retort about Ryan Grant.

MJZiggy
09-16-2011, 04:58 PM
I seriously thought I was going to get a witty retort about Ryan Grant.

Sorry. It's been a long week.

swede
09-17-2011, 10:25 PM
If all McCarthy had to worry about is player's not getting "the big head" from winning too often, I wouldn't complain.

My question is where and when in his career has this problem plagued him?

A good rip from the once motife.

I am shamed by my lack of vision, but, in my defense, we did win the big one AFTER I had the cataract surgery.

KYPack
09-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I love bumbs. Looks like Mike McCarthy was not insane.
:)

Bumping a 5 year old thread over a dumb quote of mine, eh Harv?

A. I'll have to take this one like a man, I was real wrong about this one.
B. Screw you, Harve. Bump some of your old shit that was wrong. that'd be fun.