PDA

View Full Version : Elgton Jenkins, Best Packer Rookie OL since......?

RashanGary
10-30-2019, 08:38 PM
I don’t think I’ve ever seen one come in and be our best lineman in his first year. Maybe Sitton, but Jenkins might be better yet.

Guiness
10-30-2019, 09:26 PM
I don’t think I’ve ever seen one come in and be our best lineman in his first year. Maybe Sitton, but Jenkins might be better yet.

Sitton was the one that immediately came to mind as well.

Honorable mention to Tauscher, was a solid part of a pretty good line as a rookie.

mraynrand
10-30-2019, 09:57 PM
Clifton and Tauscher 1-2 in 2000. Sitton only started a couple of games as a rookie. That’s recent history. I’d have to do some research but no one for the ‘59 Packers was a rookie. Fuzzy played the previous year for Baltimore. Kramer was also a first year but Gregg was a third year and he was the best on that line. Skoronski in ‘56 maybe. Koncar at LT in ‘76 was ok, Rich Moran at LG in ‘85 but he got hurt I think, and Aaron Taylor in ‘95 was pretty good but got hurt too.

George Cumby
10-31-2019, 12:10 AM
I thought Bakh took over LT in his rookie year?

Joemailman
10-31-2019, 01:12 AM
I thought Bakh took over LT in his rookie year?

He did. Some might take Bakh over Jenkins because Bakh played LT. But I think as a rookie Jenkins is a more dominant LG than Bakh was as a LT.

australianpackerbacker
10-31-2019, 01:16 AM
He really looks like a tackle thats too good to play guard. He still makes rookie mistakes, like the guy he let through that smacked Rodgers for a 17yd loss, would have been better to manhandle him to the ground and take the 10yd penalty, this would psychologically set the intention with the defense moving forward that no matter what, youre not gonna hit my quarterback.

Radagast
10-31-2019, 01:55 AM
While Elkton Jenkins and David Bakhtiari have both been impressive, I want to praise others as well.

First, the addition of Billy Turner has provided a solid starter at RG.

Next, Bryan Bulaga when healthy, is a stout LT on pass protection. His run blocking however remains average. I like and have great respect for Bulaga, yet I'm always expecting him to go down with an ankle or knee injury.

It is because of unexpected temporary medical issues that I've been so pleased with the readiness of Alex Light at both Left and Right Tackle. This second year player from The University of Richmond has made the roster 2 years running and has stepped in for both Bulaga and Bakhtiari this season without incident. I'd feel comfortable with him at Tackle as a replacement should either starting Tackle go down.

Finally, (C) Corey Linsley has become as dependable as some of his predecessors in years past. He has developed a chemistry with Rodgers that can only be earned. He gets my vote.

MadtownPacker
10-31-2019, 07:04 AM
He really looks like a tackle thats too good to play guard. He still makes rookie mistakes, like the guy he let through that smacked Rodgers for a 17yd loss, would have been better to manhandle him to the ground and take the 10yd penalty, this would psychologically set the intention with the defense moving forward that no matter what, youre not gonna hit my quarterback.Plus got to replay the down.

Joemailman
10-31-2019, 08:08 AM
Not sure I can fault an offensive lineman when the QB holds the ball for over 8 seconds. He had every reason to think Rodgers would get rid of the ball before the defender could get there.

Radagast
10-31-2019, 08:23 AM
Not sure I can fault an offensive lineman when the QB holds the ball for over 8 seconds. He had every reason to think Rodgers would get rid of the ball before the defender could get there.

Joe, have you ever dropped a glass of milk onto the kitchen floor or blamed someone else for your not being able to find an item at your home only to discover a week later that it was you that relocated the item and forgot about it.

Point is Shit happens and making a scene over it is pointless. Clean up the mess, be more careful, and/or apologise to those that you falsely accused. Sometimes mistakes are the best teacher and placing blame only makes it worse.

Additionally, no QB wants to hold on to a football for 8 sec., if you must play the blame game look to the receivers who were not open for Rodgers.

Joemailman
10-31-2019, 08:33 AM
Joe, have you ever dropped a glass of milk onto the kitchen floor or blamed someone else for your not being able to find an item at your home only to discover a week later that it was you that relocated the item and forgot about it.

Point is Shit happens and making a scene over it is pointless. Clean up the mess, be more careful, and/or apologise to those that you falsely accused. Sometimes mistakes are the best teacher and placing blame only makes it worse.

Additionally, no QB wants to hold on to a football for 8 sec., if you must play the blame game look to the receivers who were not open for Rodgers.

I didn't blame anyone. I just said I don't blame Jenkins.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-31-2019, 08:45 AM
Next, Bryan Bulaga when healthy, is a stout LT on pass protection.

Rada, i am not fluent in Confederate English, so i don't know anything about a stout LT named Bulaga. Up here in the North, where slavery is illegal and we speak German, we call ole Bulaga da milksop RT.

pbmax
10-31-2019, 08:56 AM
Normally I have a seat on all young player bandwagons, but I have not seen the Jenkins described here.

Then again, I have not been watching him closely. Gonna have to change that up Sunday.

run pMc
10-31-2019, 09:33 AM
Jenkins is good. I've watched him some. He has his rookie moments, but he's a big, strong, agile dude. Playing all along the line in college - and making the line calls playing center - surely has helped him. He might be the best run blocker on the line, and his pass blocking isn't bad, especially considering the run-heavy offense he played in college. He's been a good pick and has a bright future.

(Yes, there were other, very good players available when the Jenkins pick came in. I'd have loved for them to take a WR/TE, but getting a quality starter as a rookie anywhere in the draft is like gold. Also -- I'm glad he's panning out vs. recent R2 CB picks.)

mraynrand
10-31-2019, 09:44 AM
Flower was going to run the ball. Much like when the Packers brought in Capers to run the 3-4 and selected Raji/Matthews, Gute picked LEEEEEROY mJENKINS (and the NDSU right guard) to support the scheme Flower was going to run. This is good organization stuff.

George Cumby
10-31-2019, 09:44 AM
He did. Some might take Bakh over Jenkins because Bakh played LT. But I think as a rookie Jenkins is a more dominant LG than Bakh was as a LT.

Good point.

Joemailman
10-31-2019, 12:12 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/31/packers-lg-elgton-jenkins-ranks-among-nfls-top-10-rookies/

According to Pro Football Focus, Jenkins possesses the 10th highest grade among rookies through the first eight weeks of the NFL season.

Not only is Jenkins the sixth-highest graded left guard in the NFL, but he’s one of only two left guards to not allow a single quarterback hit or sack this season.

The Packers took Jenkins with the 44th overall pick in the 2019 draft. He played snaps at left guard in Week 2 and then took over for Lane Taylor as the starter in Week 3.

Jenkins is now the second-highest graded rookie offensive lineman, trailing only New Orleans Saints center Erik McCoy.

Jenkins was solid right away for the Packers, starting in the preseason when he didn’t allow a sack or hit, but he’s steadily improved each and every week. He was at his best on Sunday night in Kansas City, where he played a major role in opening holes for Aaron Jones and protecting Aaron Rodgers in the passing game.

In fact, Jenkins landed on PFF’s “Team of the Week” for his performance against the Chiefs.

His first six starts have proven Jenkins to be an effective pass blocker and second-level run blocker. It’s early, but the Packers have to be happy with their second-round investment.

Obviously PFF doesn't hold Jenkins responsible for the aforementioned sack last week when Rodgers held onto the ball for 8+ seconds. Nor should they.

Tony Oday
10-31-2019, 12:46 PM
He is good but he is NO Tony Mandarich!

SudsMcBucky
10-31-2019, 01:10 PM
He is good but he is NO Tony Mandarich!

Thank god.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-31-2019, 01:44 PM
Put Nutz in a Packer uniform, and he would be just as good as the Fucking Center. Shoulda drafted Metcalf.

Joemailman
10-31-2019, 02:40 PM
Put Nutz in a Packer uniform, and he would be just as good as the Fucking Center. Shoulda drafted Metcalf.

You're boring.

pbmax
10-31-2019, 02:42 PM
Please use his full name, Elgtron Autobot.

The Shadow
10-31-2019, 07:40 PM
I am very grateful we took Jenkins instead of Metcalf. Jenkins is a huge reason we are 7-1.

call_me_ishmael
10-31-2019, 10:16 PM
Probably the best since Linsley, Baktiari or maybe Sitton. I seem to recall TJ Lang played quite a bit of swing tackle as a rookie and did aight too. Sitton was the truth from day one.

Patler
11-01-2019, 12:49 AM
Clifton and Tauscher 1-2 in 2000. Sitton only started a couple of games as a rookie. That’s recent history. I’d have to do some research but no one for the ‘59 Packers was a rookie. Fuzzy played the previous year for Baltimore. Kramer was also a first year but Gregg was a third year and he was the best on that line. Skoronski in ‘56 maybe. Koncar at LT in ‘76 was ok, Rich Moran at LG in ‘85 but he got hurt I think, and Aaron Taylor in ‘95 was pretty good but got hurt too.

Aaron Taylor wasn't a true rookie in '95. He was drafted in '94, but tore up his knee in his first practice and missed the entire year.

mraynrand
11-01-2019, 07:00 AM
Aaron Taylor wasn't a true rookie in '95. He was drafted in '94, but tore up his knee in his first practice and missed the entire year.

he's like a redshirt rookie

Fritz
11-01-2019, 08:29 AM
Both Jenkins and Savage look to be instant hits. Excellent picks.

run pMc
11-01-2019, 11:56 AM

Taylor is in IR, I think if they hadn't drafted Jenkins they'd either kept Taylor off IR to trot him out one-armed or put Lucas Patrick at LG. Jenkins is an upgrade over either. He's not a sexy pick, but he's been part of the reason Rodgers has been upright for most of the season.

Metcalf is a great fit for Seattle offense, and I had serious doubts about his ability to stay healthy (or run sharp routes). I think he'll do fine. I'm still skeptical he would have been a fit in GB, and frankly he seems like a faster Lazard.
At some point I do hope you stop with the "Shoulda Metcalfed" -- we're in Week 9 now, and the woulda-shoulda-coulda act gets tedious fast. Besides, you'd have a stronger argument with some in these parts by arguing Burns over Gary.

George Cumby
11-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Both Jenkins and Savage look to be instant hits. Excellent picks.

Am I the only one who, when I read 'Savage' I pronounce it: "Sà-vãge", like in French?

Probably.

NM.

Zool
11-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Am I the only one who, when I read 'Savage' I pronounce it: "Sà-vãge", like in French?

Probably.

NM.

No, it's not just you. I've been calling him Savage Opress

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/databank_savageopress_01_169_02e79834.jpeg?region= 0%2C0%2C1560%2C878&width=768

Anti-Polar Bear
11-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Taylor is in IR, I think if they hadn't drafted Jenkins they'd either kept Taylor off IR to trot him out one-armed or put Lucas Patrick at LG. Jenkins is an upgrade over either. He's not a sexy pick, but he's been part of the reason Rodgers has been upright for most of the season.

Metcalf is a great fit for Seattle offense, and I had serious doubts about his ability to stay healthy (or run sharp routes). I think he'll do fine. I'm still skeptical he would have been a fit in GB, and frankly he seems like a faster Lazard.
At some point I do hope you stop with the "Shoulda Metcalfed" -- we're in Week 9 now, and the woulda-shoulda-coulda act gets tedious fast. Besides, you'd have a stronger argument with some in these parts by arguing Burns over Gary.

Packers are still running some of McCarthy's stuff (Seattle's O reminds me of McCarthy's). Butte is still holding the rock for 8 seconds. Metcalf is the perfect WR for Rodgers. Smart. Fast. Strong.

German Shepherd signed not one but two bona fide OLBers in free agency. Packers don't need Burns or Gary. If a Mack or Bosa or Watt is around, sure, take a fucking pass rusher. Burns and Gary aren't Mack, et al.

Shoulda drafted Josh Jacobs at 12.

falco
11-01-2019, 02:57 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/31/packers-lg-elgton-jenkins-ranks-among-nfls-top-10-rookies/

Obviously PFF doesn't hold Jenkins responsible for the aforementioned sack last week when Rodgers held onto the ball for 8+ seconds. Nor should they.

Will you stop trying to blame Rodgers???!?!?

Zool
11-01-2019, 03:09 PM
Packers are still running some of McCarthy's stuff (Seattle's O reminds me of McCarthy's). Butte is still holding the rock for 8 seconds. Metcalf is the perfect WR for Rodgers. Smart. Fast. Strong.

German Shepherd signed not one but two bona fide OLBers in free agency. Packers don't need Burns or Gary. If a Mack or Bosa or Watt is around, sure, take a fucking pass rusher. Burns and Gary aren't Mack, et al.

Shoulda drafted Josh Jacobs at 12.

There is no scenario in our little fraction of the multiverse where Metcalf is a Packer. Please let the schtick go already. Time to grow up a little.

Joemailman
11-01-2019, 06:07 PM
Will you stop trying to blame Rodgers???!?!?

Why? Rodgers said in his Postgame PC that the sack was his fault. Will you stop disagreeing with Aaron Rodgers?