PDA

View Full Version : Le’veon bell

red
11-01-2019, 11:01 AM
So bell mentioned yesterday on a radio show that the packers were one of 4 or 5 teams that inquired about trading for him right before the deadline

I found it a bit odd the we would be interested when we already have 2 decent rbs, and with the fact that he has a massive contract in place

Bell is very good, but it surprised be that we were looking at rbs and not wrs or ILB, or maybe TE

pbmax
11-01-2019, 11:24 AM
So bell mentioned yesterday on a radio show that the packers were one of 4 or 5 teams that inquired about trading for him right before the deadline

I found it a bit odd the we would be interested when we already have 2 decent rbs, and with the fact that he has a massive contract in place

Bell is very good, but it surprised be that we were looking at rbs and not wrs or ILB, or maybe TE

They might have called to gauge market or interest or price. But remember, they did not call Bell.

They called the Jets, if, indeed, they called at all. And Bell is hearing this third hand from his agent. So who knows.

Its also possible that whatever kept Dexter off the roster earlier in the season still worries them. Bell would fit into the current offense like Jones does.

If we hear they called about D lineman or ILBs, then I'd buy this more.

run pMc
11-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Jones has a shoulder, and given his injury history that probably just had the team kicking the tires on Bell. My guess is it never went beyond that. Jamaal can fill in ok for Jones but he's nowhere near as dynamic.
Bell is 27 so still has some tread on the tires but that contract is a little rich. He'd be pretty good in theory in the MLF offense...he looks meh with the Jets to me though.

MadtownPacker
11-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Sounds like someone wants to join a winner. Even with all that cash it has to burn being in a place with no hope for glory.

Pretty much like PBMax and Patler posting with all of you.

hoosier
11-01-2019, 12:29 PM
Assuming Jets aren't offering $$, the team that trades for him is on the hook for half of this year's salary, so about $7.5m. I'm not sure how that would play out in cap but yuck. Then there's next year: either more yuck or you cut him and then you've just given up draft picks for a half year rental. No thanks.

pbmax
11-01-2019, 12:47 PM
Assuming Jets aren't offering $$, the team that trades for him is on the hook for half of this year's salary, so about $7.5m. I'm not sure how that would play out in cap but yuck. Then there's next year: either more yuck or you cut him and then you've just given up draft picks for a half year rental. No thanks.

His future numbers are huge. I have not worked out too many trades (it is the NFL after all) with those kind of out year numbers.

But at some point the team handing over the bonus was on the hook for the acceleration onto the cap. Seems daunting to trade his this year no matter the arrangement.

hoosier
11-01-2019, 01:20 PM
His future numbers are huge. I have not worked out too many trades (it is the NFL after all) with those kind of out year numbers.

But at some point the team handing over the bonus was on the hook for the acceleration onto the cap. Seems daunting to trade his this year no matter the arrangement.

Yes, an accounting headache on top of the other headaches. Maybe Le'veon is really, truly a special player who transcends the limited role that running backs play in today's NFL offenses but even then, he's got wear on him and the likelihood that he is going to break down before long just makes this kind of contract seem dumb. Plus, he listens to bad advice, which makes him dumb: if he had taken what Steelers were offering instead of sitting out a year, he would have earned $33m by end of 2019 instead of the $14.5m he's making with the Jets. In 2020 he is scheduled to earn $11.5m with NYJ. Or, if they cut him after 2019, he immediately gets the other $9.5m of his guarantees. Either way he's going to come up short of that $33m.

texaspackerbacker
11-01-2019, 01:50 PM

This kind of crap is put out because the God damned media pukes don't have as much good sense about the Packers as any of us fans.

George Cumby
11-01-2019, 01:54 PM
Yeah. No.

red
11-01-2019, 03:25 PM
This kind of crap is put out because the God damned media pukes don't have as much good sense about the Packers as any of us fans.

What fucking media are you bitching about now

One trick fucking pony, don’t like something, blame the media like a fucking dipshit

The PLAYER said it happened, not any media

red
11-01-2019, 03:28 PM

I think we have about 10.5 left (I looked it up when there were A.J. green rumors), so the remained of bells cap this year (7.5 million) would eat up a good chunk of our remaining cap, but would still leave us with around 3 million

Bell would have counted 13.5 million next year for a new team

pbmax
11-01-2019, 04:04 PM

For what purpose did Bell (not a member of the media) tell this story? What benefit did he derive out of it?

red
11-01-2019, 04:37 PM
What might have been most surprising was that bell said the Steelers were also one of the teams that inquired about trading for him

Why would the Steelers want to trade for him at this point?

And it might not bode well for bell that the jets were already open to listening to offers just 8 games after they signed him

pbmax
11-01-2019, 05:34 PM
What might have been most surprising was that bell said the Steelers were also one of the teams that inquired about trading for him

Why would the Steelers want to trade for him at this point?

And it might not bode well for bell that the jets were already open to listening to offers just 8 games after they signed him

That is the part of the story that makes me doubt the whole thing,

RashanGary
11-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Bell looks significantly less explosive. He might get that back in the second year post injury.

mraynrand
11-01-2019, 08:06 PM
Bell looks significantly less explosive. He might get that back in the second year post injury.

Post injury? I thought he sat out an entire year voluntarily.

red
11-01-2019, 08:13 PM
Post injury? I thought he sat out an entire year voluntarily.

Yeah, he was just a whole year holdout

bobblehead
11-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Wrong Jets RB. Of course all we had to do was fire fat mike earlier and that guy would still be on the roster.