PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 10 vs Carolina

pbmax
11-10-2019, 06:46 PM
Its was not pretty, but some of their best running and best pass rush of the last four games.

Obviously were focused on McCaffrey and did OK against him.

But same as rest of the year, better hands on defense or fewer presnap penalties and the game is a walk rather than a scrap. Think the Packers are more talented, but they put themselves in holes a lot.

No injuries (knock on wood) that I recall.

pbmax
11-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Poor execution on the goal line run (I mean bad, two missed blocks). And an open question about eschewing the FG.

Rodgers not hitting much deep and its costing them some drives. Would like to see a re-emphasis on shorter passes. Liked seeing Graham catch some important balls in the second half after he had a bad penalty in the first.

Defensive line has to stop hitting the QBs helmet.

Kyler Fackrell saved the game of course.

gbgary
11-10-2019, 06:49 PM
pettine needs to go back upstairs so he can really see this shit as it's happening.

pittstang5
11-10-2019, 06:53 PM
Decision making by Rogers and Lafluer were bad today.

Kick the FG at the end of the 1st half. I absolutely hated going for it.

Rogers tried going deep too many times today and didn't pay off.

pbmax
11-10-2019, 06:56 PM
I was glad that against a team that had run D problems, they actually ran the ball regularly.

Gotarace
11-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Kenny Clark had a Hell of a Game with Constant Pressure up the Middle

George Cumby
11-10-2019, 07:02 PM
Win is a win is a win.

JohnMexico
11-10-2019, 07:04 PM
I wont call Pettine trash, despite our offense getting outgained in yardage every week.

As much as we trash Martinez, Kevin King is just as bad a fraud. This shit wont do until we find a real solution there.

Fosco33
11-10-2019, 07:06 PM
D forces two turnovers, pass rush was decent and kept Mc at bay - can’t ask for too much more.

O had balance and very solid rushing attack.

Panthers are tough - they could make the playoffs if things break right for them.

gbgary
11-10-2019, 07:16 PM
D forces two turnovers, pass rush was decent and kept Mc at bay - can’t ask for too much more.

O had balance and very solid rushing attack.

Panthers are tough - they could make the playoffs if things break right for them.

didn't have any problems with the D (except king) until that last drive when you absolutely knew what was going to happen (penalties, chunk plays, and 1st downs). the last several games have been gruesome.

pbmax
11-10-2019, 07:38 PM
That kid is too good to play zone against. Only worked when they flushed or hit him.

Joemailman
11-10-2019, 07:47 PM
I'm frustrated by this secondary. Seems they have talented players, but not good as a unit. If this continues the rest of the year, I wonder if we could see changes on the coaching staff in this area.

beveaux1
11-10-2019, 08:01 PM
I'm frustrated by this secondary. Seems they have talented players, but not good as a unit. If this continues the rest of the year, I wonder if we could see changes on the coaching staff in this area.

I think they have talent, also. There's always a blown assignment or very soft coverage or a missed tackle that extends drives.
My question is why can't our defense get off the field? For the season, we're 18th on 3rd down defense, but in the last 3 games, we're
31st. That's just like last year...and the year before. We've got to get off the field.

pbmax
11-10-2019, 08:01 PM

Kinda like the run defense.

Zool
11-10-2019, 08:03 PM
King is getting beat pretty regular now. He’s pretty much Trey Waynes now.

RashanGary
11-10-2019, 08:39 PM
I’ll be curious to see king after the bye. They limited him last week, so that groin must be nagging. Curious to see if he can play his best ball down the stretch.

Will help with contract negotiations though. He shouldn’t be due for a top deal but he’d sure be nice to have around

run pMc
11-10-2019, 10:42 PM
That was a tough game to watch. Certainly exciting, but just about gave me chest pains.

I thought CAR picked on King a little bit, and he just looked -- especially once the snow fell and the footing deteriorated -- like maybe he was playing hurt and trying not to make it worse.
Jaire dropped a pick that would've sealed things, and I thought they let Carolina hang around too much. They did a decent job on McCaffrey -- he's destroyed some defenses.
Defensively they still need talent -- namely, another DL to help Clark (like how they had Raji and Jenkins in 2010), and someone who can take away the middle of the field. I can't imagine this team being .500 without the Smiths or Amos.

Also, dumb penalties WTF.

Offensively they ran the ball well. Glad they stayed with that, it made a huge difference. Jamaal runs so physical, and Jones is playing tough too. Rodgers made some dynamite throws, but he also made plenty of mistakes. Missed some open receivers, tried a few deep shots that he shouldn't be trying on 3rd down, and the deep ball to Adams that Jackson ripped away in the 2nd half was clearly underthrown. Threw into double coverage a few times too. Finally, Jimmy Graham looks soooo slow.

I get the rationale of going for it and possibly being up 21-10 at the half, but I'd have been inclined to take the points and go into the locker room up a full touchdown. That analytics guys probably say it was a smart move but Gerald McCoy simply blew it up.

Freak Out
11-10-2019, 11:51 PM
pettine needs to go back upstairs so he can really see this shit as it's happening.

Not a bad call. Why is he needed on the sideline anyway?

call_me_ishmael
11-11-2019, 01:05 AM
I’ll be curious to see king after the bye. They limited him last week, so that groin must be nagging. Curious to see if he can play his best ball down the stretch.

Will help with contract negotiations though. He shouldn’t be due for a top deal but he’d sure be nice to have around

Everything with you is always about money or contract or next year. He's in year three. He has two years left before considering an extension.

Joemailman
11-11-2019, 01:11 AM
Everything with you is always about money or contract or next year. He's in year three. He has two years left before considering an extension.

FWIW, he will be a free agent after the 2020 season.

call_me_ishmael
11-11-2019, 01:20 AM
FWIW, he will be a free agent after the 2020 season.

He has the 5th year option though since he was an R1. He'll be back if he can prove he can stay healthy and consistently contribute.

Tony Oday
11-11-2019, 02:14 AM
King is dogshit lately.

Jones and Williams had a game.

Old man TE actually had a play.

Adam's is good.

AR missed a lot of throws. He is not right.

Smith's are freaking awesome.

Cam will be a Viking next year.

red
11-11-2019, 07:18 AM
He has the 5th year option though since he was an R1. He'll be back if he can prove he can stay healthy and consistently contribute.

no, he wasn't

he was pick #33. 1st pick of the second round

pbmax
11-11-2019, 07:19 AM
No way the Vikes spend another $25 million on a QB.

hoosier
11-11-2019, 08:22 AM
That was a tough game to watch. Certainly exciting, but just about gave me chest pains.

I thought CAR picked on King a little bit, and he just looked -- especially once the snow fell and the footing deteriorated -- like maybe he was playing hurt and trying not to make it worse.
Jaire dropped a pick that would've sealed things, and I thought they let Carolina hang around too much. They did a decent job on McCaffrey -- he's destroyed some defenses.
Defensively they still need talent -- namely, another DL to help Clark (like how they had Raji and Jenkins in 2010), and someone who can take away the middle of the field. I can't imagine this team being .500 without the Smiths or Amos.

Also, dumb penalties WTF.

Offensively they ran the ball well. Glad they stayed with that, it made a huge difference. Jamaal runs so physical, and Jones is playing tough too. Rodgers made some dynamite throws, but he also made plenty of mistakes. Missed some open receivers, tried a few deep shots that he shouldn't be trying on 3rd down, and the deep ball to Adams that Jackson ripped away in the 2nd half was clearly underthrown. Threw into double coverage a few times too. Finally, Jimmy Graham looks soooo slow.

I get the rationale of going for it and possibly being up 21-10 at the half, but I'd have been inclined to take the points and go into the locker room up a full touchdown. That analytics guys probably say it was a smart move but Gerald McCoy simply blew it up.

I watched about ten real time minutes of the game yesterday--last 0:20 of the first half and last 2:00 of the game--and I think I aged five years in those minutes. I was fine with going for it at the end of the first half, but the play call seemed dumb. Not just because it failed, not just the way it failed, but because when you run it up the gut and get stuffed (which is always a possibility) it seems to give the opp defense some added momentum going into second half. I was expecting a call that would have given Rodgers a couple of options after ball was snapped.

texaspackerbacker
11-11-2019, 08:30 AM
I'd like to see Tony Brown take some snaps away from King. King was hot and cold, but mostly cold.

I was already to jump on the cut Jimmy Graham bandwagon, then he suddenly makes a couple good plays (three if you count the TD the refs took away where he definitely did scrape the turf with his toe as he caught the ball, and there was no visible bobble as Aikman claimed). I'd still unload him for next season and put Lazard at TE. Let Sternberger replace Lewis - he made some damn good blocks on that streak of Williams runs.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was for going for the TD at the end of the half, and running it - we had success that way several times earlier. Hindsight says different, but whatever. What gets me is they had Williams in there instead of Jones - I was actually beginning to worry that Jones was hurt at that time.

Do I ever say a bad word about Aaron Rodgers? Well, he was off his game mentally - missing open receivers at least three times.

Anybody notice if Tremon Smith came back after getting his bell rung? He looked fine sprinting to the locker room. It would be a shame if that stupid concussion shit keeps him out. Anyway, it's bye week, so that's unlikely.

I hope J.K. Scott doesn't turn to crap as the Wisconsin weather gets worse.

Our biggest need in the draft is a Clark clone D Lineman. That and we need to play M. Adams more. The undynamic duo from Northwestern need to be back ups at best, preferably gone. That more than anything else is the root of the defensive problems. We could compensate for DB deficiencies if we just didn't need to use two big slugs to do the job of one against the run. I don't like Goodson either. It seems like Burks or Summers could do better; Hell, Summers was downright decent in preseason. Jim Leonard's Badger D has the ILBs read and fill gaps. They hardly ever are out of position. I wish the Packers would use ours that way - Martinez makes a lot of tackles, but it seems like he takes himself out of the play by going the wrong way 30 or 40% of the time.

Joemailman
11-11-2019, 08:42 AM
I watched about ten real time minutes of the game yesterday--last 0:20 of the first half and last 2:00 of the game--and I think I aged five years in those minutes. I was fine with going for it at the end of the first half, but the play call seemed dumb. Not just because it failed, not just the way it failed, but because when you run it up the gut and get stuffed (which is always a possibility) it seems to give the opp defense some added momentum going into second half. I was expecting a call that would have given Rodgers a couple of options after ball was snapped.

That last drive was insane. Alexander just misses an INT. Packers almost have a sack and Allen gets away with grounding. Penalty on Z Smith on 3rd and 4. Penalty on P Smith on 4th and 1. Then the last play.

pbmax
11-11-2019, 09:34 AM
That last drive was insane. Alexander just misses an INT. Packers almost have a sack and Allen gets away with grounding. Penalty on Z Smith on 3rd and 4. Penalty on P Smith on 4th and 1. Then the last play.

My only beef with the last drive are the penalties. I know its part of their game (Matthews used to do it too) but man there is a time and a place to be reckless and 3rd or 4th down is not it on a potential game winning drive.

Joemailman
11-11-2019, 09:50 AM
Neither Jones or Williams caught a pass yesterday. A nod to Kuechly's cover skills? Better off just handing it off to them against a weak run defense?

pbmax
11-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Neither Jones or Williams caught a pass yesterday. A nod to Kuechly's cover skills? Better off just handing it off to them against a weak run defense?

Don't like the new trend with Adams back.

MadtownPacker
11-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Don't like the new trend with Adams back.Blame it on the brothaman instead of the States Farms QB for harassing that nice insurance agent just trying to make a living.

Joemailman
11-11-2019, 10:10 AM
On the last play of the half, it sounds like Bakh was expected to execute a reach block on McCoy. In a goal-line situation against a great player, I think that's asking too much.

pbmax
11-11-2019, 10:51 AM
On the last play of the half, it sounds like Bakh was expected to execute a reach block on McCoy. In a goal-line situation against a great player, I think that's asking too much.

He just needed to hit him and stop penetration. Had to get a hat on him and he crawls in over the bodies.

Also, Jones was not down on his first attempt at a TD. That was a TD and then another TD.

Harlan Huckleby
11-11-2019, 11:03 AM
put Lazard at TE.
genius or idiotic?

Harlan Huckleby
11-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Kuechly didn't look very good to me. Is he getting old? Or maybe I just noticed a couple bad plays.

Joemailman
11-11-2019, 11:14 AM
He just needed to hit him and stop penetration. Had to get a hat on him and he crawls in over the bodies.

Also, Jones was not down on his first attempt at a TD. That was a TD and then another TD.

?

Carolina_Packer
11-11-2019, 11:23 AM

It would be nice to see the Packers win because of King's efforts instead of despite. Our other recent 2nd round DB, Jackson, is now a game day inactive...sheesh!

pbmax
11-11-2019, 12:34 PM
?

His first run into the end zone was ruled down at the one foot line. But he never hit the ground. It was a TD.

Scored next play though.

RashanGary
11-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Kuechly didn't look very good to me. Is he getting old? Or maybe I just noticed a couple bad plays.

I’ve watched all the Carolina games. He’s good. McCaffrey and Keuchly had two of their worst games. Packers did things to neutralize their best players im assuming. In doing so, the Packers didn’t exactly light it up on either side either, so maybe the keuchly/McCaffrey effect was more indirect in this game due to game plans.

texaspackerbacker
11-11-2019, 01:26 PM

Kuechly got slickered big time on that long gainer to Graham. I think we just didn't throw to the backs as much because you do something too many weeks in a row, and teams catch on. At some point, maybe even the Niners game, I bet we see it again.

beveaux1
11-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Don't like the new trend with Adams back.

I'm not sure it's a new trend. Both the Chargers and Panthers lined up a DB opposite Jones when he split wide.
I think if a LB took Jones, they would have exploited that matchup.

Opponents got a couple of games worth of tape on our RBs against LBs and they adjusted.
Now, we have to adjust.

pbmax
11-11-2019, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure it's a new trend. Both the Chargers and Panthers lined up a DB opposite Jones when he split wide.
I think if a LB took Jones, they would have exploited that matchup.

Opponents got a couple of games worth of tape on our RBs against LBs and they adjusted.
Now, we have to adjust.

I didn't see that but I was watching the protection after SD. Means either there is a lot of space available past the LOS or a LB is on a WR.

Someone should be open quickly.

beveaux1
11-11-2019, 02:36 PM
I didn't see that but I was watching the protection after SD. Means either there is a lot of space available past the LOS or a LB is on a WR.

Someone should be open quickly.

You're right. There should be a LB on a TE or WR.
Our WRs and TEs don't strike much fear outside of Adams.

Quick passes should net 5 to 7 yards if the match up is right.

Fritz
11-13-2019, 05:09 AM
You're right. There should be a LB on a TE or WR.
Our WRs and TEs don't strike much fear outside of Adams.

Quick passes should net 5 to 7 yards if the match up is right.

You could put a linebacker on Geronimo Allison. You could put a defensive tackle on Jimmy Graham. He's almost painful to watch. I believe the adjective "rumbling" was created for the way he looks running now.

Kyle Fackrell was very active in the game. I heard his name quite a bit. He was instrumental in stopping McCaffrey on that fourth down run.

I heard Rashan Gary's name once, as in "Rashan Gary is coming into the game." Then I saw him once, getting pushed aside easily by a guard on what appeared to be a pass rush.

You all tell me I need to be patient. But remember, you've been waiting for ten games. I've been waiting for years now. Still nothing.

pbmax
11-13-2019, 07:18 AM
You could put a linebacker on Geronimo Allison. You could put a defensive tackle on Jimmy Graham. He's almost painful to watch. I believe the adjective "rumbling" was created for the way he looks running now.

Kyle Fackrell was very active in the game. I heard his name quite a bit. He was instrumental in stopping McCaffrey on that fourth down run.

I heard Rashan Gary's name once, as in "Rashan Gary is coming into the game." Then I saw him once, getting pushed aside easily by a guard on what appeared to be a pass rush.

You all tell me I need to be patient. But remember, you've been waiting for ten games. I've been waiting for years now. Still nothing.

Exploiting matchups does seem to be the problem. But as red and a couple of others will tell you, there is shorter stuff open.

Rodgers mentioned getting Graham deep as his speed might be his last athletic trait left.

Fackrell's play came in very KF fashion, he was standing having just switched sides with Clark at Martinez's behest. Standing, he split the Guard Center but almost backed into CMc.

He didn't make the tackle but he broke his momentum.

pbmax
11-13-2019, 08:55 AM
Great breakdown by Kyler, Mike Smith and Pettine about what was happening on the last goal line play.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/how-the-green-bay-packers-clinched-their-victory-over-carolina-panthers/

run pMc
11-13-2019, 09:44 AM
25.98 games into the Pettine defense, shouldn't core vets like Fackrell and Blake know where to line up? It was definitely lucky, let's call it karma for the 2 offsides penalties and the non-call on the grounding penalty.
Also: KyloFack slipped past former Packer Greg Van Roten.

I wonder when someone is going to ask a coach or official about OL pulling and throwing ballcarriers into the endzone. Thought that was illegal.

pbmax
11-13-2019, 09:58 AM
25.98 games into the Pettine defense, shouldn't core vets like Fackrell and Blake know where to line up? It was definitely lucky, let's call it karma for the 2 offsides penalties and the non-call on the grounding penalty.
Also: KyloFack slipped past former Packer Greg Van Roten.

I wonder when someone is going to ask a coach or official about OL pulling and throwing ballcarriers into the endzone. Thought that was illegal.

Panthers were hurrying to the line. Don't remember if Packers substituted.

Pettine said the alignment was fine as Martinez and Fackrell both have same job. Probably attack the Guard gap.

But ideally Martinx is aligned with the ball carrier and Fackrell is on open side. That was what Martinez was correcting.

Fritz
11-21-2019, 05:22 AM
So hey, did Rashan Gary play in that Carolina game? I didn't notice.

Bretsky
11-21-2019, 07:15 AM
So hey, did Rashan Gary play in that Carolina game? I didn't notice.

Do you notice when he is in ?

pbmax
11-21-2019, 08:45 AM
Mackrell 28 - Gary 16

Your new Nitro safety is Isaiah Campbell at 41 snaps. I think he is in the middle. If you saw him elsewhere, pipe up. Oren Burks at 4 snaps.