PDA

View Full Version : Can’t believe we’re 8-2

Vincenzo
11-11-2019, 06:50 AM
It’s bye week time which means time to reflect......

8-2 is an impressive record and in my opinion it’s a bit of a head scratcher how the Packers actually achieved it.

Looking forward I hope we’re battle tested come January cuz it’s pretty clear that the elephant in the room is a “one and done season.”

pbmax
11-11-2019, 07:24 AM
the elephant in the room is a “one and done season.”

??

Vincenzo
11-11-2019, 07:33 AM
??

mmmm, what’s a “one and done season?”
2011 we were 15-1, the #1 seed in the NFC only to be punched right in the face by the New York Giants.....we were one and done.

texaspackerbacker
11-11-2019, 07:45 AM
8-2, and whiners still scrape up something to whine about. Sheeeeesh.

Joemailman
11-11-2019, 07:48 AM
The NFC is loaded. The teams in the playoffs will be battle tested. Packers have some things going for them. They're +7 in turnover differential. And they've been able to beat good teams on the road. They're well built for the playoffs.

Tony Oday
11-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Problem is our secondary. They have the talent not the head it seems like. Too many busted coverages.

pbmax
11-11-2019, 09:36 AM
mmmm, what’s a “one and done season?”
2011 we were 15-1, the #1 seed in the NFC only to be punched right in the face by the New York Giants.....we were one and done.

Ah, got it. I would say this team seems slightly feistier on D and more grounded on O. Not as high flying. Think that bodes well for the playoffs.

Pass game being hit or miss all season will be a problem if they fall behind.

Harlan Huckleby
11-11-2019, 11:10 AM
I think the issue with Packers has been WRs. All the receivers. They have some raw talent, may be ready for playoffs.

Oh ya, the defense, but defense doesn't matter anymore in NFL, amIright? Packers did well with average defense in Ted Thompson's glory years (year?) so maybe they will be good enough.

MadScientist
11-11-2019, 11:32 AM
This bye week is much needed. Not just for rest and recovery, but self-scouting. The Packers are 8-2 and have looked excellent in stretches, but there have been a lot of breakdowns. Receivers failing to get open for stretches. Rodgers missing open receivers. O-line giving up too much to good rushers. Inconsistent pass rush. Secondary having bad lapses. Failure to stop opponents from getting to the red zone.

They really need to take this week and work on fixing things. They also need to see if there is someone on the defense with a tell that is tipping opposing offenses.

3irty1
11-11-2019, 11:46 AM
I think the issue with Packers has been WRs. All the receivers. They have some raw talent, may be ready for playoffs.

Oh ya, the defense, but defense doesn't matter anymore in NFL, amIright? Packers did well with average defense in Ted Thompson's glory years (year?) so maybe they will be good enough.

I'm also in the MRGA camp.

RashanGary
11-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Offense strengths:

1. ball security.

2. Inside zone with Jones/AR and Adams lead passing game (from shotgun)

3. A whole slew of runs, passes out of the backfield, receivers and TEs blocking with passion, some outside runs, moving pockets, screens and off balance attacks.

It’s hard to do one thing really well, so the Packers having a few is a huge bonus. The identity of not having a rigid identity should pay dividends against playoff defenses where you have to be able to adjust and hit them where they’re weak.

RashanGary
11-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Defense strengths:

1. Redzone defense - I notice seasoned secondary’s and back 7s tend to play better between the 20s because it takes experience and discipline to really know when to take your shots without getting beat over the top. The Packers are young and talented so they play their best ball when they can take risks on the short field without being worried about getting beat over the top.

2. Big play/turnover defense - interceptions, sacks, forced fumbles.... this defense has its share of big splash plays

3. 3rd down defense. Smith, Smith and Clark lead the way with one of the NFLs more well rounded pass rush groups.

What they NEED to do, and it’s still possible with growth, is take better shots between the 20s. Seems like they take a risk when there isn’t help but then play tentative when there is. That’s what young players to. Hopefully the bye week gives their mind a reset and when they come back, guys like Alexander and King and Savage can all take another step in playing fast within the structure of the defense ie jumping routes when the help is there and playing safer when it isn’t. The optimism is that they have the talent and the guys are smart so they could gel at the right time here.

RashanGary
11-11-2019, 12:34 PM
A huge bonus for the defense would be having the guys stay healthy.

Fixed pieces (Alexander/King/Savage/Amos/Martinez)
Situational pieces (Tramon/Campbell/Goodson/Sullivan/Redmond)

These guys are young and don’t have a lot of time together like some of the top defenses in the league. The bright side is they’re young and growth is likely if they get time together. Health will give our defense an opportunity to mesh into one of the leagues best defenses. I’m crossing my fingers there.

pbmax
11-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Part of the problem on offense is Rodgers, I am now convinced.

He doesn't have receivers or the accuracy to keep going deep, but he keeps doing it. Its probably 30% him, 70% receivers on the failure to connect, but he keeps choosing to throw it.

Spend some time each game imagining that there is no Adams on the field.

RashanGary
11-11-2019, 12:48 PM
We have a mostly heathy team
A bye week
A six game stretch with a bunch of injured/losing teams
An increasingly good chance at another bye six weeks from now

To me, the offense is on track. Just keep getting better at the take what they’re giving and don’t turn it over offensive identity. The defense really needs to gel. Subtleties like masking coverages, jumping routes when the help is there but playing smart when it isn’t.... they need to get to a more expert level of executing the adjustments and details.

The bye week to reset and then a heathy stretch gives these guys a chance to take that step. I’m crossing my fingers for this young but high potential defense!

RashanGary
11-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Pb, it might be personnel. Nelson and Jennings were upper tier or elite deep threats. We just don’t have that now. I don’t think it’s Rodgers

pbmax
11-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Pb, it might be personnel. Nelson and Jennings were upper tier or elite deep threats. We just don’t have that now. I don’t think it’s Rodgers

Oh its definitely them to some extent. But given the limitations, they need to take fewer shots. Maybe cut it in half.

And when you do take them, start at your 40 or better. And not on 3rd and short very often.

RashanGary
11-11-2019, 12:57 PM
Adams is a beast version of James Jones. He’s getting open and catching underneath routes better than any player Rodgers has ever played with. Consequently, AR looks better doing those things.

Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams are the first experienced, well rounded, talented running backs that AR can count on of his career. Consequently, AR looks better in getting them involved

MLF does seem to coach the run game with more passion than MM so it seems blocking from WRs and TEs is more inspired and purposeful, consequently, we break some more runs and AR is getting addicted to handing the ball off and watching his buddies get that run game adrenaline boost.

It’s just a different team, no??

RashanGary
11-11-2019, 01:00 PM
Oh its definitely them to some extent. But given the limitations, they need to take fewer shots. Maybe cut it in half.

And when you do take them, start at your 40 or better. And not on 3rd and short very often.

I see what your saying. They do seem pressured. That does seem to be Rodgers too. When the deep stuff is really there, it’s wide open and easy. He’s really pressing to make it happen, it seems. However, it’s possible that by doing that he’s being intentional to make the defense play honest and open up short stuff.... maybe AR is a step ahead of us.

Joemailman
11-11-2019, 01:20 PM
It seems a lot of these deep throws are underthrown. Not sure if Rodgers has lost arm strength or he's not stepping into is throws. I think it's the latter due to being under pressure.

pbmax
11-11-2019, 01:35 PM
It seems a lot of these deep throws are underthrown. Not sure if Rodgers has lost arm strength or he's not stepping into is throws. I think it's the latter due to being under pressure.

He also overthrows them, though not in last two games. You can almost see in his throwing motion that he is adjusting up to the last second: more air under it, wait or throw harder.

Never used to have that in motion adjustment.

3irty1
11-11-2019, 01:38 PM

I disagree. Especially at this point in the season you want the reputation of being willing to go for the jugular whenever its under defended.

My favorite play call of the whole Mike McCarthy era was against the Lions in 2010. Rodgers is out, Matt Flynn is quarterback 4th quarter with a minute left. 4th and 1 from the Detroit 30 yard line. At the time it was thought this game was basically a must win in order to make the playoffs. All 11 defenders are an inch off the line of scrimmage. Flynn misses Greg Jennings deep left. Packers turn it over on downs and lose 3-7. Only thing you'd learn from scouting that entire game is that there is no situation where MM won't swing for the fences. Back up QB, playoffs on the line, only needs 1 yard, doesn't matter. Bend down to pick up the soap in front of MM and he's coming for you even if he's in a wheel chair. And frankly he's offended that you thought he would do otherwise. Peak McCarthy.

RashanGary
11-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Agree 3hirty1. Those shots open other things up. Same way the run game does. Its nice for a defense to not know what you're gonna do. The only way to keep them guessing is to do wild shit and make them guess.

texaspackerbacker
11-11-2019, 01:46 PM
Part of the problem on offense is Rodgers, I am now convinced.

He doesn't have receivers or the accuracy to keep going deep, but he keeps doing it. Its probably 30% him, 70% receivers on the failure to connect, but he keeps choosing to throw it.

Spend some time each game imagining that there is no Adams on the field.

Nobody connects on 100% or anywhere near that of deep passes. A lot of teams throw interceptions that way. Most of the underthrows I recall seemed to be throwing it where if our guy can't get it, nobody can. (the long pass where Adams had to slow down against the Panthers would be an exception to that, but the wind may have had something to do with that.)

I noticed that Adams came to the sideline more than usual last game - Rodgers didn't just need to imagine it.

Smidgeon
11-11-2019, 01:50 PM

I agree with this. Many of his deep throws are underthrown when a WR has a step.

3irty1
11-11-2019, 01:52 PM
Agree 3hirty1. Those shots open other things up. Same way the run game does. Its nice for a defense to not know what you're gonna do. The only way to keep them guessing is to do wild shit and make them guess.

I don't ask for much, just an offense that sets up shop in the opposing D coordinator's head and invites them to play 4d chess against themselves. The holy spirit isn't satisfied to playcall like a man but as less than one--as a foolish raving madman--but he poses this way only in the eyes of God's enemies.

RashanGary
11-11-2019, 02:09 PM
I don't ask for much, just an offense that sets up shop in the opposing D coordinator's head and invites them to play 4d chess against themselves. The holy spirit isn't satisfied to playcall like a man but as less than one--as a foolish raving madman--but he poses this way only in the eyes of God's enemies.

:lol:

Well said. Know what’s kinda mind blowing..... you could write an equally valid and colorful paragraph about the importance of order, discipline and precision. And both would be true. How the fuck does that work?

pbmax
11-11-2019, 02:17 PM
I disagree. Especially at this point in the season you want the reputation of being willing to go for the jugular whenever its under defended.

My favorite play call of the whole Mike McCarthy era was against the Lions in 2010. Rodgers is out, Matt Flynn is quarterback 4th quarter with a minute left. 4th and 1 from the Detroit 30 yard line. At the time it was thought this game was basically a must win in order to make the playoffs. All 11 defenders are an inch off the line of scrimmage. Flynn misses Greg Jennings deep left. Packers turn it over on downs and lose 3-7. Only thing you'd learn from scouting that entire game is that there is no situation where MM won't swing for the fences. Back up QB, playoffs on the line, only needs 1 yard, doesn't matter. Bend down to pick up the soap in front of MM and he's coming for you even if he's in a wheel chair. And frankly he's offended that you thought he would do otherwise. Peak McCarthy.

I would rather win the Lions game and have to game plan the opponents than send a message by losing.

I don't buy that it opens up the rest of the field given the way the passing game was going yesterday.

I am not saying take no shots. Doesn't work for anyone for long. But more, longer drives would be nice.

I'll have to keep track of when they take shot plays in the future.

RashanGary
11-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Sometimes I see art work and my mind lights up like a retarded monkey tasting cashews for the first time.... there’s color here and shape there. Chaos here and order there. But it all balances out and my brain just explodes in an orgasm of joy mixed with confusion, mixed with understanding.

Football requires a balance of so many opposing but complimentary forces that when it all comes together, my mind does explode in that same way as seeing a piece of art or listening to an orchestra.

But then sometimes I just hope Greg Olsen would fall into the burning propane heaters. I give up. I think in some way it all comes back to pussy.

QBME
11-11-2019, 06:42 PM
I dunno.
Seems like it's all smoke and mirrors.
Hope I'm wrong.

pbmax
11-12-2019, 07:04 AM
I would rather win the Lions game and have to game plan the opponents than send a message by losing.

I don't buy that it opens up the rest of the field given the way the passing game was going yesterday.

I am not saying take no shots. Doesn't work for anyone for long. But more, longer drives would be nice.

I'll have to keep track of when they take shot plays in the future.

When the offense woke up and produced some amazing 10 play drives earlier this year, its also possible team adjusted. And what they left open were the other WR who have so far not taken too much advantage of.

But even if that is the issue, take fewer shots for now.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-12-2019, 09:32 AM
When the offense woke up and produced some amazing 10 play drives earlier this year, its also possible team adjusted. And what they left open were the other WR who have so far not taken too much advantage of.

But even if that is the issue, take fewer shots for now.

The bombs vs Carolina, Butte went through his progressions before launching the rock. Wankers like Sloth weren't open in the short. The Packers lack a quick as a cat midget slotman that gets you 4 yards when you neeed 3, and a serious bomb threat that outruns everyone and their baby's mamas.

German Shepherd's decision not to draft Metcalf and Isabella foreshadowed doom. I mean, do the Packers have the WMDs to out-annihilate Lil Russell and his wally Seagulls in the playoffs? We all know the D ain't gonna show up.

texaspackerbacker
11-12-2019, 10:24 AM
We've got that quick as a cat midget slot man; We just kicked him to the practice squad for fucking up as a return guy.

Your guy, Metcalf, for all his 4.3 speed or whatever, seems to play slower than that. I'll give you that he is better than MVS now, but I still am betting our guy is better in 3-5 years.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-12-2019, 10:34 AM
We've got that quick as a cat midget slot man; We just kicked him to the practice squad for fucking up as a return guy.

Your guy, Metcalf, for all his 4.3 speed or whatever, seems to play slower than that. I'll give you that he is better than MVS now, but I still am betting our guy is better in 3-5 years.

Shepherd ain't quick as a cat. The films don't lie. He also fucked up at WR. Man ain't perfect, but when you're an undrafted rookie free agent, dropping a rock for a pick will get you into the doghouse.

Shoulda drafted both Isabella and Metcalf. Metcalf looks like a black Jordy Nelson this season.

pbmax
11-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Shoulda drafted both Isabella and Metcalf.

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz...

The Shadow
11-12-2019, 09:53 PM
ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz...

It really does get super old & super annoying, doesn't it? Sometimes folks keep repeating something in order to get some kind of validation.

MadtownPacker
11-12-2019, 11:36 PM
It really does get super old & super annoying, doesn't it? Sometimes folks keep repeating something in order to get some kind of validation.You got it all wrong gramps. They think you lost your hearing aid. That’s why they keep saying it over and over so you don’t think they forgot about you at the retirement home.

Fritz
11-13-2019, 05:22 AM
I really disliked Rodgers going deep on that third down play. First of all, it was poorly thrown. Rodgers did not throw Lazard open, he threw him covered. Secondly, what you want there first and foremost is a first down (and no, Rodgers did not look for someone eight or ten yards downfield). You get the first down you take time away from Carolina, and another 15 yards and you've got the field goal attempt. Or maybe your end-zone shot is a higher percentage throw.

pbmax
11-13-2019, 07:59 AM
It really does get super old & super annoying, doesn't it? Sometimes folks keep repeating something in order to get some kind of validation.

Despite my best intentions, I still find trolls can be very funny and puncture an old argument in unexpected ways.

However, Tank has turned into oldies radio.

pbmax
11-13-2019, 08:00 AM
I really disliked Rodgers going deep on that third down play. First of all, it was poorly thrown. Rodgers did not throw Lazard open, he threw him covered. Secondly, what you want there first and foremost is a first down (and no, Rodgers did not look for someone eight or ten yards downfield). You get the first down you take time away from Carolina, and another 15 yards and you've got the field goal attempt. Or maybe your end-zone shot is a higher percentage throw.

Yep. You have to run the offense you have, not the one you hoped to have again.

Fritz
11-13-2019, 10:28 AM
I thought that might be the moment to unveil a Mercedes Lewis first-down catch. Nobody bothers to cover that guy.

run pMc
11-13-2019, 10:36 AM

Agree.
I'm fine taking a deep shot on 2nd and short -- which they were getting thanks to Jones/Williams -- but when you have 3rd and manageable and you are taking a low % deep shot you are likely to be punting vs. keeping the ball out of McCaffrey's hands. When you're up 24-10 into the 4Q, the clock is your enemy.
Some people hate watching a team methodically march 14 plays down the field, personally I think it's imposing your will like a grinding juggernaut. It's gotta be demoralizing and exhausting for a defense.

(Not that a 3 play drive isn't fun either, but when the field gets snowy those can be hard to come by.)

GB has been very good in the RZ this year, that's a big improvement vs. last year. I didn't think they'd be 8-2 at this point; kudos to them for officially not having a losing season.

Upnorth
11-13-2019, 11:27 AM
The cool part about us being 8-2 is that we have faced one of the toughest schedules to get here. The playoffs will be much like the regular season for us.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-13-2019, 11:28 AM
I am baffled by uncool Pack fans being pissed at the Great Arm of Butte for launching bombs on 3rd and 4s.

Watch the fucking films. The GAB went through his progressions before dropping bombs, with respect to pass pro. That means that the wanker wideouts running stick routes weren't open or the Butte was under duress.

It's fucking 3rd down. Unwise to just throw it away or take a sack. Give your bomb threat a chance. A pick is as good as a punt.

Isabella is great at running stick routes. Metcalf is a serious bomb threat. Gee, the German Shepherd just had to pass them up for a fucking center and transgender Rashan Gary.

Zool
11-13-2019, 02:02 PM
I am baffled by uncool Pack fans being pissed at the Great Arm of Butte for launching bombs on 3rd and 4s.

Watch the fucking films. The GAB went through his progressions before dropping bombs, with respect to pass pro. That means that the wanker wideouts running stick routes weren't open or the Butte was under duress.

It's fucking 3rd down. Unwise to just throw it away or take a sack. Give your bomb threat a chance. A pick is as good as a punt.

Isabella is great at running stick routes. Metcalf is a serious bomb threat. Gee, the German Shepherd just had to pass them up for a fucking center and transgender Rashan Gary.

So maybe if you close your eyes real tight, and wish with all your might, you can go back in time and stop jerking so much.

George Cumby
11-13-2019, 03:22 PM
Tick-Tock, Tank.

Pull up your baggy jeans, the desperation in your posts is showing.

run pMc
11-14-2019, 09:27 AM
If he's gone through his progressions, maybe, but I'd bet he'd have better luck running for the first, or running the scramble drill. They have these tall receivers; you'd think that would give him more room to squeeze a throw into a tight window. Maybe throwing a deep 50/50 jump ball is a safer play, I'm not really sure. But I'd think the play call should scheme for at worst a DickRod special -- run a basic 2-3 yard out and run/stretch for the marker. Crap, even Jimmy Graham can do that, and we know Lazard has some size to fight for yardage.

I do agree the receivers they have will struggle to win 1-1 consistently (except Adams) and that limits them. In time they might get better at selling routes, head fakes, etc. to get open, but none of them strike fear except maybe MVS because of his deep speed.

Hey, maybe they shoulda drafted Reggie Wayne, Ochocinco, and Steve Smith instead of Jamal Reynolds, Turd Ferguson, and Jack Torrance Marshall. Then again Steve Hutchinson was available too, but he was just a stinkin OL.

Fritz
11-14-2019, 11:11 AM
I saw the play differently; I did not see Rodgers looking anywhere but deep while he rolled right.