PDA

View Full Version : Official 2019 Bye Week Thread

Joemailman
11-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Players get to rest and get healthy. And hopefully stay out of trouble.

For the coaches it's self-scouting. Gotta believe the defensive coaches will be spending a lot of time looking to see what can be changed to fix the secondary breakdowns.

Not sure what they'll be looking at offensively. Maybe trying to figure out how to get MVS involved in the offense again.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Rhythm is a dancer, and the O needs to find a fucking dancer. Could've been Metcalf, but German Shepherd fucked up. Imagine this draft: 1a - Josh Jacobs, 1b - DK Metcalf, 2 - Andy Isabella. Coulda been the greatest show on Earth since the Wu-Tang Clan.

Defensively, put #27 in at nickle-backer to cover TEs and clone Stonewall Jackson for the trench. D has problems shutting down TEs and the run.

Joemailman
11-11-2019, 03:19 PM
In his PC today, MLF said they will self-scout next couple of days, including having offensive staff look at defense and vice versa. Later in the week coaches can get away.

Joemailman
11-11-2019, 04:06 PM
MLF took responsibility for failed play at end of half. Said they hadn't practiced it much and shouldn't have called it in that situation.

Said they have to do a better job of finding ways to get MVS the ball.

Said some of the problems with getting offensive plays in on time has to do with chaotic substitution procedures.

Addressed the communication problems in secondary.

CaptainKickass
11-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Obligatory bye week post.

pbmax
11-11-2019, 05:38 PM
Obligatory bye week post.

Post of the week.

pbmax
11-11-2019, 05:38 PM
Three words: Goal Line Fade

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJGkwilWsAIxx-I?format=jpg&name=large

Joemailman
11-11-2019, 05:58 PM
That's a big group of receivers. Davante is 6-1.

Joemailman
11-11-2019, 08:55 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/11/packers-work-out-trio-of-free-agent-defensive-linemen/

According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN, the Packers worked out three different veteran defensive linemen on Monday, and all three are former draft picks.

GM Brian Gutekunst and his staff took a look at Carl Davis, David Parry and Justin Ellis.

Davis, a third-round pick of the Baltimore Ravens in 2015, stands 6-5 and weighs 320. He has played in 34 career games, including 12 starts for the Ravens in 2015-16. The Indianapolis Colts released him on Nov. 4.

Parry, a fifth-round pick of the Colts in 2015, stands 6-2 and weighs 317. He has five sacks and 83 tackles in 36 career games. The New England Patriots released him at final roster cuts.

Ellis, a fourth-round pick of the Oakland Raiders in 2014, stands 6-2 and weighs 335 pounds. He has 119 tackles in 66 career games. The Raiders released him from injured reserve on Oct. 8.

The Packers’ search appears centered around finding a capable run-stuffing lineman. Mike Pettine’s defense has struggled stopping the run throughout the season, and Gutekunst might see value in adding a veteran to the mix as the Packers prepare for the final six weeks of the season.

texaspackerbacker
11-11-2019, 11:48 PM
Either of those two D Linemen if healthy might be an upgrade from Lancaster and/or Lowery.

call_me_ishmael
11-12-2019, 12:07 AM
For all of the heat the Texans took for essentially dumping Clowney and overpaying for a stud LT, you've gotta imagine they're laughing all the way to the bank with Deshaun Watson showing he's a top 2-3 QB in the league and an MVP candidate already!

pbmax
11-12-2019, 07:17 AM
Either of those two D Linemen if healthy might be an upgrade from Lancaster and/or Lowery.

They had Lancaster out there in nickel with Clark. That is a big line in a 2-4. Might be run stuffing they are looking for but perhaps better mix and match.

Formerly, it was Lowry's Army.

pbmax
11-12-2019, 08:33 AM
https://twitter.com/DustyEvely/status/1194085876009242625

One indication about how defenses might stop Jones/Williams in the passing game. RB gets a DB and LB in a zone coverage short, Graham gets a LB and gets nowhere.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-12-2019, 09:40 AM
That's a big group of receivers. Davante is 6-1.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I like that t-shirt. Who is the coach wearing the shirt?

pbmax
11-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Pain might be weakness leaving the body if you are near death.

Otherwise it sounds like some mule fritters.

MadtownPacker
11-12-2019, 10:08 AM
That's a big group of receivers. Davante is 6-1.Caught my attention too. Adams looking like he is Edelman size in that pic.

texaspackerbacker
11-12-2019, 10:15 AM
They had Lancaster out there in nickel with Clark. That is a big line in a 2-4. Might be run stuffing they are looking for but perhaps better mix and match.

I don't trust Lowery and Lancaster to do anything other than keep the bench from flying away - by sitting on it. And I'm beginning to get negative about our third Northwestern guy too. After seeing Sternberger out there in what was essentially a fullback position, I'm not sure we need Vitale or any FB.

RashanGary
11-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Caught my attention too. Adams looking like he is Edelman size in that pic.

Why don’t you suck their dicks about it, homo :lol:

Anti-Polar Bear
11-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Quick, somebody, ask the Kickass to do a 7 Nation Army parody.

He's gonna fight 'em all
The Dean Lowry Army can't be held back
They're gonna RIP his arm off
Taking shit right behind his back...

MadtownPacker
11-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Why don’t you suck their dicks about it, homo :lol:Damn mofo, talking a lot of shit after all the post where you talk about Rodgers like you hope he will creampie you! Your just mad cuz the brothas on the team are taking all your local hot White gurls!

red
11-12-2019, 10:48 AM
For being 8-2, we got a lot of shit we need to fix over the next two weeks

Gotarace
11-12-2019, 10:51 AM
That is a mouthful in a Short Sentence....as nice as it is to be 8-2 we could easily be 4-6 right now.

pbmax
11-12-2019, 10:57 AM
I don't trust Lowery and Lancaster to do anything other than keep the bench from flying away - by sitting on it. And I'm beginning to get negative about our third Northwestern guy too. After seeing Sternberger out there in what was essentially a fullback position, I'm not sure we need Vitale or any FB.

Lowry makes some plays. But I suspect he plus the two new OLBs make some plays by free lancing. And that opens gaps. You can cover for one guy free lancing, but not two or more.

On their last drive, Panthers actually stopped the free lancing pressure by keeping McCaffrey in the backfield. When he emptied the backfield, it was a house fire for the O line.

So I might need to amend my position that running more stops the pass rushers is a second order effect. It can be that if the #1 worry of the defense is in the backfield on a game winning drive, you might change tactics.

pbmax
11-12-2019, 11:03 AM

Why suffer through 8-2? Enjoy it.

What joy is there is being right 95% of the time that your team won't win the Superb Owl?

You can't even win serious money betting on teams to NOT win the Superb Owl. There is no rationale for it.

Just think of the writers and pundits you can piss off by talking up the Packers in the hunt for a bye week! Ian Kenyon is getting blown up by Packer fans as we speak.

pbmax
11-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Frauds! FRAUDS!

Aaron Schatz @FO_ASchatz
Toughest schedules so far, with current DVOA rank:

No. 31 CIN
No. 8 GB
No. 12 OAK
No. 3 KC
No. 25 CLE

Read this as Top 5 hardest schedules, and the team's DVOA rank.

yetisnowman
11-12-2019, 12:09 PM
For all of the heat the Texans took for essentially dumping Clowney and overpaying for a stud LT, you've gotta imagine they're laughing all the way to the bank with Deshaun Watson showing he's a top 2-3 QB in the league and an MVP candidate already!

Clowney has 9 QB hits, 3 Sacks, 3 other TFL, 2FF, and 1 FR Touchdown in his last 3 games. FWIW

texaspackerbacker
11-12-2019, 12:15 PM
Lowry makes some plays. But I suspect he plus the two new OLBs make some plays by free lancing. And that opens gaps. You can cover for one guy free lancing, but not two or more.

On their last drive, Panthers actually stopped the free lancing pressure by keeping McCaffrey in the backfield. When he emptied the backfield, it was a house fire for the O line.

So I might need to amend my position that running more stops the pass rushers is a second order effect. It can be that if the #1 worry of the defense is in the backfield on a game winning drive, you might change tactics.

I agree with you about the free lancing, but it seems like we get gashed the most on inside runs. So I'd blame the ILBs (in addition to the D Linemen) more than the OLBs. I like the way Leonard has the Badgers play it inside - a lot of gap discipline. Martinez seems like he never got coached up that way.

MadtownPacker
11-12-2019, 12:47 PM
For being 8-2, we got a lot of shit we need to fix over the next two weeksWe? Your problems are going to take a lot longer than 2 weeks.

I think 8-2 is very damn good. I don’t see any NFC team that is less flawed at this point. Health is really what is going to decide the second half of the season for the Packers.

pbmax
11-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Seth Walder @SethWalder

The rate each offense is blitzed (x) by that offense's pass block win rate (y).

So top right means: good PBWR despite facing lots of blitzes.

(ESPN stat, NGS data)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJMKISvXUAAg2yd?format=png&name=small

Packers pass blocking well (this stat might account for length of time of QB in pocket) but not being blitzed much.

QBME
11-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Clowney has 9 QB hits, 3 Sacks, 3 other TFL, 2FF, and 1 FR Touchdown in his last 3 games. FWIW

Need to check with the boards capologist's, but don't know if we can afford to sign him.

RashanGary
11-12-2019, 03:38 PM
Surprised to see the Packers so close to the top. A lot goes into that, including ARs awareness and Lindsleys and play calling and score and the threat of scoring. so it might not mean as much directly about the OL per se, but I’d rather be at the top than bottom for sure.

RashanGary
11-12-2019, 03:43 PM
People don’t like to blitz filthy Phillip rivers

RashanGary
11-12-2019, 03:44 PM
My perception of Carolinas offense is way off. I woulda never thought of their ok as being at the bottom like that

call_me_ishmael
11-12-2019, 03:50 PM

My eyes and his stats don't necessarily jive. I see a superstar game changer who breaks the offense because he's freaky deaky. The stats don't project that.

pbmax
11-12-2019, 03:52 PM
My eyes and his stats don't necessarily jive. I see a superstar game changer who breaks the offense because he's freaky deaky. The stats don't project that.

What do your gintincts tell you?

Smidgeon
11-12-2019, 03:52 PM
Seth Walder @SethWalder

The rate each offense is blitzed (x) by that offense's pass block win rate (y).

So top right means: good PBWR despite facing lots of blitzes.

(ESPN stat, NGS data)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJMKISvXUAAg2yd?format=png&name=small

Packers pass blocking well (this stat might account for length of time of QB in pocket) but not being blitzed much.

So teams are content covering the Packers' WRs for any length of time.

pbmax
11-12-2019, 03:54 PM
So teams are content covering the Packers' WRs for any length of time.

Tough to say. The one thing Trubisky can do is run (even if he isn't).

But Mahomes and Watson are in that area too. I think they'd rather wait than risk a QB breakout.

Is that the Vikings and Saints right on top of each other?

RashanGary
11-12-2019, 04:06 PM
We? Your problems are going to take a lot longer than 2 weeks.

I think 8-2 is very damn good. I don’t see any NFC team that is less flawed at this point. Health is really what is going to decide the second half of the season for the Packers.

Agree. Health and I do think they’re really close to getting some of those defensive lapses cleaned up.

Plus, even though their identity is to attack whatever the defenses weaknesses are, I think they’re gonna invest a little more in a few go-to plays after the bye..... go-to cover 2 beaters and man beaters and quarters beaters, etc..... just sort of become a little more consistent with repetition on some of their best stuff from the first 10 games.

I could see the Packers dominating these last six games if healthy. Dominating in a way we haven’t seen in a while. Of course health is a must for that. And they’re already mostly healthy so the bye is gonna make them probably the healthiest team in the league (knock on wood)

call_me_ishmael
11-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Where is the flaw in the Saints? They're a great team top to bottom. Saints vs Pats in the Super Bowl.

RashanGary
11-12-2019, 04:21 PM
I feel like a chimp looking into a mirror for the first time, looking at that chart. I’m just in awe and baffled by its wizardry.

But seriously, it’s interesting, especially since ive watched almost every game this year and I’m trying to make sense of it.

I guess generally, the teams I have with better OL observations are closer to the top, but Carolina at the bottom doesn’t fit my impressions of the season. Although week 2 I have their LT as being destroyed. The Chargers have had a really bad and injured OL so seeing them in the middle on effectiveness doesn’t make sense.

At least some of that has to be QB driven and driven by other factors cuz I just don’t observe the NFL OLs pass blocking during blitz situations quite this way.

RashanGary
11-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Where is the flaw in the Saints? They're a great team top to bottom. Saints vs Pats in the Super Bowl.

Packers Ravens or Packers Chiefs!!

That’s who I have my bets on anyway :lol:

RashanGary
11-12-2019, 04:22 PM
I have then 49ers too.

RashanGary
11-12-2019, 04:25 PM
It makes more sense when I weigh in QB, OL and run pass balance into it. That’s definitly not a clean pass blocking grade at all.

ThunderDan
11-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Tough to say. The one thing Trubisky can do is run (even if he isn't).

But Mahomes and Watson are in that area too. I think they'd rather wait than risk a QB breakout.

Is that the Vikings and Saints right on top of each other?

It's Turdbiscuit not Trubisky.

RashanGary
11-12-2019, 07:45 PM
10 games
BYE
6 games
BYE
2 games
BYE
1 game

Has a nice rhythm to it. Crossing fingers for health cuz it could be setting up to be an ideal situation for rest, health and scheduling rhythm

Joemailman
11-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Packers/49ers game flexed to Sunday Night Football.

MadtownPacker
11-12-2019, 10:42 PM
I’m going Mr USPS!! Ordering my Kevlar jersey right now. What sign should I make?

1. Este si es queso! (This is real cheese - It was a slogan for a Mexican style cheese brand in the late 80s or 90s. Marquez Brothers or El Mexicano I think)
2. Rodgers, call your Mom for Xmas!
3. 49ers left their heart in San Francisco! (Like the Tony Bennett song)

MadtownPacker
11-12-2019, 10:45 PM
The team that just got smoked at home by the 1-7 Falcons?

Anti-Polar Bear
11-12-2019, 11:48 PM
I’m going Mr USPS!! Ordering my Kevlar jersey right now. What sign should I make?

1. Este si es queso! (This is real cheese - It was a slogan for a Mexican style cheese brand in the late 80s or 90s. Marquez Brothers or El Mexicano I think)

“Vive le Kap!”

Anti-Polar Bear
11-12-2019, 11:54 PM
Packers/49ers game flexed to Sunday Night Football.

Great. Collinsworthless. Dude is annoying. Plus, I work nights. Even though off Sundays, usually having wet dreams (sleeping) by 7:30.

I must be the only one here who likes Aikman and Buck (and Andrews).

Fritz
11-13-2019, 05:33 AM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/11/packers-work-out-trio-of-free-agent-defensive-linemen/

Those are some big boys. Sounds like Gutekunst is looking for his Howard Green

pbmax
11-13-2019, 08:03 AM

I also forgot to call him Pubert.

https://static2.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Addams-Family-Pubert-Name-SR.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738&h=369

pbmax
11-13-2019, 08:04 AM

That guy and Bruce Wilkerson need to have statues somewhere. Maybe a bar or bus station, but somewhere.

pbmax
11-13-2019, 08:04 AM

Chicago message boards also refuse to call him by his actual name. They are very unhappy. :D

pbmax
11-13-2019, 08:06 AM

I would cheer to see all 3, but no way #2 makes the air. Only folks in the area and us will get #1.

Go with #3. Plus a cheesehead. It'll help protect from the things being thrown at you.

pbmax
11-13-2019, 08:10 AM

Someone (Farrar?) pointed out that Al Woods, signed by the Seahawks, was about the best mid-season run stopper with a little pass rush signing he had seen in a while.

Fritz
11-13-2019, 10:26 AM
Someone (Farrar?) pointed out that Al Woods, signed by the Seahawks, was about the best mid-season run stopper with a little pass rush signing he had seen in a while.

Seahags have made a few really smart in-season moves. Jadaveon Clowney being the biggest one.

MadtownPacker
11-13-2019, 10:28 AM
I would cheer to see all 3, but no way #2 makes the air. Only folks in the area and us will get #1.

Go with #3. Plus a cheesehead. It'll help protect from the things being thrown at you.
Man why you gotta picked the one with better odds of a confrontation!

I have a cheesehead (legit from GB) but have something even more appropriate for the evening.

Zool
11-13-2019, 02:05 PM
Go with "Bring Black Harbaugh"

George Cumby
11-13-2019, 03:17 PM
^lol

George Cumby
11-13-2019, 03:19 PM

I vote #2.

I'd love to go but really want to see November 25th. Plus I'm taking the kids camping in Joshua Tree that week.

Keep your head on a swivel.

pbmax
11-13-2019, 05:10 PM

This stadium belongs 50% to Scot McCloughan!

QBME
11-13-2019, 05:22 PM
I'm taking the kids camping in Joshua Tree that week.

Nice!!

pbmax
11-13-2019, 05:33 PM
This stadium belongs 50% to Scot McCloughan!

Oakland has a better TV personality for its GM.

Lynch is riding McCloughan's coattails.

pbmax
11-13-2019, 05:38 PM
Chris Kouffman @ckparrot
People are still underestimating what ROLB Vince Biegel has done as a pass rusher since assuming his starter role on the Dolphins. Here Top 10 DE/OLBs with at least 100 pass rush reps (91 qualifiers), ranked by Pressure Rate:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJSMFynWsAA5Jvv?format=jpg&name=900x900

Joemailman
11-13-2019, 07:56 PM

Your sign should say whatever this guy is saying. By the way, is that you?

https://media3.giphy.com/media/1j15EXclfr8jmQTu/source.gif

George Cumby
11-13-2019, 08:05 PM
Nice!!

Started doing that trip in the mid 90’s. We would have the place to ourselves. Now? I have to reserve the site six months in advance.

QBME
11-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Started doing that trip in the mid 90’s. We would have the place to ourselves. Now? I have to reserve the site six months in advance.

It's amazing how an album of admittedly good music could fuck the whole thing up even unintentionally.

George Cumby
11-13-2019, 11:04 PM
It's amazing how an album of admittedly good music could fuck the whole thing up even unintentionally.

Exhibit #1:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/miley-cyrus-slammed-for-joshua-tree-photo-shoot-163751005.html

Anti-Polar Bear
11-14-2019, 02:55 AM
👹

MadtownPacker
11-14-2019, 08:12 PM
I vote #2.

I'd love to go but really want to see November 25th. Plus I'm taking the kids camping in Joshua Tree that week.

Keep your head on a swivel.I think it works because the holidays but PB might be right that they won’t show it. Gonna be about 30 something rows back so who knows.

Watching the game won’t be trouble. The parking lot maybe. But just like if you spend the night at Harlan’s the bathroom could be traumatizing.

MadtownPacker
11-14-2019, 08:22 PM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/1j15EXclfr8jmQTu/source.gifFUCCCCKKKKK!! will never make it on TV. Understandable cuz that appears to be one of the times Eli and friends eliminated the Pack.

You met me ahole, you know I ain’t that dark.

woodbuck27
11-14-2019, 09:52 PM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/1j15EXclfr8jmQTu/source.gif

Mad 'have Packer Gear will travel'.

woodbuck27
11-14-2019, 09:55 PM
FUCCCCKKKKK!! will never make it on TV. Understandable cuz that appears to be one of the times Eli and friends eliminated the Pack.

You met me ahole, you know I ain’t that dark.

Yeah!

wist43
11-14-2019, 09:57 PM
Yeah!

Hey woodbuck!!! Haven't seen ya in a while, how ya been??

woodbuck27
11-14-2019, 10:01 PM
Hey woodbuck!!! Haven't seen ya in a while, how ya been??

I'm doing fine and Thanks for asking.. Right now I'm enjoying the Browns Steelers game.

How is life and you wist43?

wist43
11-14-2019, 10:05 PM
I'm doing fine and Thanks for asking.. Right now I'm enjoying the Browns Steelers game.

How is life and you wist43?

Crazy busy... don't post as much as I used to. Kids/work/life.

Good to see ya :glug:

call_me_ishmael
11-16-2019, 11:57 PM
Man, Jack Cichy has had a tough go at it so far in the league.

Tore his ACL (I think) in 2017 for Big Red before going pro.
Tore his ACL again (not sure if same one) in 2018 in first year as a pro after 6 games.
Tore up his elbow this year and back on IR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Cichy

Rastak
11-17-2019, 05:33 PM
Greets to both Wist and Woodbuck,

pbmax
11-17-2019, 08:29 PM
Since no one has started the official 49er week thread, betting news here.

Bill Huber @BillHuberSI
Early odds have #Packers as three-point underdogs at Niners next week, according to @betonline_ag

Means game at Lambeau would be Packers -3, neutral site game would be push. Even steven with just home field advantage the difference according to the oddsmakers.

call_me_ishmael
11-18-2019, 03:31 PM
https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1196535148222799879

Really interesting stats here. Z-Smith is playing awesome is the tl;dr