PDA

View Full Version : Newton for Trubby, Straight Up

call_me_ishmael
11-13-2019, 10:58 PM
Newton wants out of Carolina and to go to Chicago.

Carolina wants to move on from Newton.

Chicago probably thinks Trubby is ass and would happily move on if they can spin it well.

Chicago would happily take Newton and his big contract for one year year of an evaluation to see if he's a great fit for them.

Trubby probably wouldn't hate to go back to his old college stomping grounds.

Carolina would be happy to take back a high upside QB on a rookie deal with another year deal plus the option year. If he sucks, they can move on easily. They wouldn't have to exercise the 5th year option until after they spent some time with Trubby, I don't think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX9zwPFCstc

This seems like a match made in heaven for those teams. I think it will happen.

Zool
11-14-2019, 07:46 AM
High upside based on what?

hoosier
11-14-2019, 08:38 AM

Based on the massive draft capital expended to get him :-)

call_me_ishmael
11-14-2019, 08:49 AM

Body, arm, and quick feet. He has the skills - just hasn’t put it all together yet.

run pMc
11-14-2019, 09:12 AM
It also frees up cap space to extend McCaffrey, who is the centerpiece of their offense, and sign players they say they want to keep like Shaq Thompson.
Let Trubisky and Allen compete for the starting job in camp; the loser can get traded if they look good in preseason, else they have a backup with experience who could get you through a few games. With proper coaching, scheme, and supporting players, I'd trust a player like Mariota, Trubisky or maybe even Rosen to eke out a half of decent football if my starter got a concussion more than I would a greenhorn like Boyle...or Kizer.

This story has legs because there's been chatter about Newton being done in CAR thanks for Allen's play and his own deteriorating health/performance. Also, because it makes sense on many levels.

Zool
11-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Body, arm, and quick feet. He has the skills - just hasn’t put it all together yet.

3 years of film disagrees with the potential.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-14-2019, 11:07 AM
Someone said in some other thread that Tru is an ass. Are you Jason Kidding me? The dude has millions of frogskins in a bank, and he still drives a 97 Camry.

If Tru weren't a Bear, I'd root for him. Dude ain't no ass. Dude has grace in his heart and wears flowers in his hair. A humble man through and through.

Fritz
11-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Kyle Allen > Mitch Trubitchski

call_me_ishmael
11-14-2019, 11:12 AM
3 years of film disagrees with the potential.

I agree but this is a win-win for most teams. Can't hurt to have a shot at a guy with that raw skillset and see if they can make something of him on the cheap. Worst case - good back-up.

Normally I think trades are a crapshoot at best but in this case I would be more surprised than not if it doesn't get done. Unless of course Chicago truly like Trubby, but I doubt they do.

Fritz
11-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Can the Chicago GM swallow his pride and admit he screwed the pooch by trading up not for Patrick Mahomes or DeShaun Watson but for Mitch the Bitchski?

Anti-Polar Bear
11-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Can the Chicago GM swallow his pride and admit he screwed the pooch by trading up not for Patrick Mahomes or DeShaun Watson but for Mitch the Bitchski?

Boring...can't go back in time and take Josh Jacobs instead of Rashan Gay.

Zool
11-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Boring...can't go back in time and take Josh Jacobs instead of Rashan Gay.

Physician heal thyself!

-Rand

Anti-Polar Bear
11-14-2019, 11:35 AM
Physician heal thyself!

-Rand

Sarcasm?

- Tex

texaspackerbacker
11-14-2019, 01:24 PM
I generally don't do sarcasm, but how's this? We shoulda drafted Josh Jacobs and traded him for 4 (oh, ok, just 2 or 3 first round picks. He would get as much playing time with the Packers as Dexter Williams - who may be just as good, who knows.

Trubisky is from (or at least went to college in) Carolina, so to some extent it would be a natural deal. I really don't see why there is all the bad-mouthing of the guy. If he was anything other than the 2nd overall pick, ahead of Mahomes and Watson, people would be saying he's about where you expect a young guy to be. I HOPE the Bears give up on him, because I wouldn't bet against him becoming a star quality player.

As for Newton going to the Bears, I prefer not to have that happen also, as we really don't need a Newton resurgence right here in our own division, and a change of scenery might just do that for him.

run pMc
11-14-2019, 01:40 PM
Boring...can't go back in time and take Andy K. Isametcalf instead of Rashan Gay.

FIFY

hoosier
11-14-2019, 03:19 PM
I generally don't do sarcasm, but how's this? We shoulda drafted Josh Jacobs and traded him for 4 (oh, ok, just 2 or 3 first round picks. He would get as much playing time with the Packers as Dexter Williams - who may be just as good, who knows.

Trubisky is from (or at least went to college in) Carolina, so to some extent it would be a natural deal. I really don't see why there is all the bad-mouthing of the guy. If he was anything other than the 2nd overall pick, ahead of Mahomes and Watson, people would be saying he's about where you expect a young guy to be. I HOPE the Bears give up on him, because I wouldn't bet against him becoming a star quality player.

As for Newton going to the Bears, I prefer not to have that happen also, as we really don't need a Newton resurgence right here in our own division, and a change of scenery might just do that for him.

It sounds like the beating he's been taking for years have finally caught up to him. The only kind of resurgence we're likely to see from him is when he sits up from his wheelchair ("Mein Fuhrer: I can VALK!!!").

pbmax
11-14-2019, 04:59 PM
Isn’t Cam a free agent after this year?

Cheesehead Craig
11-14-2019, 05:04 PM
Isn’t Cam a free agent after this year?

Nope one more season. But he's a major cap savings.

red
11-16-2019, 09:05 PM
Turbo is trash

Even his own backup is better

He’s only a starter because of how high he was drafted and how much the bears gave up to get him

Bretsky
11-16-2019, 10:00 PM
I don't think Carolina would want Turbo; I kinda think they'd be happy to deal Cam though

Joemailman
11-17-2019, 07:50 AM
I wonder if Cam is damaged goods at this point. Although he's only 30, he's taken a lot of big hits over the years. If he can't run any more, he'll be in RGIII territory. Panthers will save 19 million on salary cap by cutting or trading him.

pbmax
11-17-2019, 08:05 AM
I wonder if Cam is damaged goods at this point. Although he's only 30, he's taken a lot of big hits over the years. If he can't run any more, he'll be in RGIII territory. Panthers will save 19 million on salary cap by cutting or trading him.

Leg/foot/ankle thing has lingered this year and he's been banged up a lot. Wasn't all running either as he has taken some shots in the backfield that would have billed other QBs and been penalized.

Cheesehead Craig
11-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Cam had one great season. Otherwise he's just been an average quarterback when throwing the ball. He's lost a step and that was a big part of his game.

Joemailman
11-17-2019, 11:35 PM
Nagy replaced Trubisky with Daniel late in the game. Stay tuned.

Edit: Injury related.

rubisky's exit prompted questions as to whether the 2017 No. 2 overall pick had been benched for Daniel due to poor performance, but the team said Trubisky was dealing with a hip injury. Bears coach Matt Nagy elaborated on his QB's ailment following the defeat.

"It was all based off he wasn't feeling right. His hip was hurting him," Nagy told reporters. "We knew a few series earlier that something wasn't right. We watched him to keep an eye on him and see how it was. I had to go on the side and talk to him. ... He needed to be honest with us and trying to play through that is what he was doing."

Nagy said Trubisky's hip issue was affecting how he was throwing in the second half, especially to his left. Trubisky said he was throwing with "a lot of arm" in the final frames and it affected his accuracy.

The Bears coach said Trubisky landed on the hip earlier in the game and was "playing through it." Nagy did not know on which play in particular Trubisky initially suffered the injury, though the QB said it occurred on one of the last drives of the second quarter and he was evaluated at halftime.

"It just kept getting tighter and tighter in the hip region," Trubisky said, "and I couldn't move around like I wanted to."

gbgary
11-21-2019, 05:30 PM
Newton for Trubby, Straight Up

i think chi would be foolish to do that. they have a pretty good qb, with upside, on a rookie deal. trade for a downtrending newton? no. oh wait! absolutely!! lol

pbmax
11-22-2019, 08:55 AM
i think chi would be foolish to do that. they have a pretty good qb, with upside, on a rookie deal. trade for a downtrending newton? no. oh wait! absolutely!! lol

Gary, he is terrible. Less than Mariota who just lost his job. He's mobile and can throw short. That is about it.

MadtownPacker
11-22-2019, 11:00 AM
This all sounds very possible because Screwy Newton & The sad News bears would be a total disaster. Perfect for each other.

call_me_ishmael
11-22-2019, 11:25 AM
Did everyone at least appreciate one of the greatest moments in cinema history??

I bee-et it olll

pbmax
11-22-2019, 12:05 PM
Ukraine weak.