PDA

View Full Version : New CBA proposals being floated by NFL

pbmax
11-17-2019, 08:55 AM
Here is the wish list for the owners. Unclear how much player buy-in there is.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-17-game-season-would-work-in-proposed-cba-with-vote-expected-after-the-2019-season/

17 games (the extra game is out of market), 2 preseason plus one official scrimmage with second team, larger roster, 2 bye weeks, pro football played through the end of February. Season still starts Labor Day. Extra wild card to expand playoffs.

Teamcheez1
11-17-2019, 09:05 AM
I don't mind the extra game and the larger roster size.
A reduced preseason is probably fine, but they need to let teams actually practice during the preseason.
I don't need to see the playoffs diluted by adding an additional wild card team.

My only desire is that the NFL allows me to see the Packers play on a platform other than Directv which has nothing to do with the CBA.

Joemailman
11-17-2019, 09:14 AM
The idea of playing games at college stadiums in areas that don't have NFL teams is interesting.

I wonder how all this would affect the draft. With postseason running through February, combine would have to moved back. Do they move the draft into May, or have less time between combine and draft?

George Cumby
11-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Bring Black NFL Europe!

pbmax
11-17-2019, 10:05 AM
Bring Black NFL Europe!

No kidding. Got a lot of great Guard play out of that League. Also a backup QB I think?

Joemailman
11-17-2019, 10:18 AM
The additional game for each club would be played out-of-market, the sources said, with a heavy emphasis on key international locales like the United Kingdom (London and Ireland, in particular), Germany, Mexico and Brazil. It also opens the possibility of a full eight-game regular season schedule of games in London – something commissioner Roger Goodell is very supportive of -- with fans there able to buy a "season ticket," which would include at least two Jaguars games.

I guess the Jags are willing to do a lot of traveling to sell some tickets.

Joemailman
11-17-2019, 10:30 AM
No kidding. Got a lot of great Guard play out of that League. Also a backup QB I think?

By the end it was pretty much NFL Germany. 5 of the 6 teams were from Germany, joined by Amsterdam.

Craig Nall played for the Scottish Claymores.

pbmax
11-17-2019, 10:33 AM
By the end it was pretty much NFL Germany. 5 of the 6 teams were from Germany, joined by Amsterdam.

Craig Nall played for the Scottish Claymores.

How could I forget Craig Nall? Wasn't there an old JSO thread that wanted Nall elevated to starter?

George Cumby
11-17-2019, 10:34 AM

So many good players came out of that. I'm sure the NFL had a really solid, well thought out rationale to eliminate the most functional farm league they had that didn't involve the exploitation of ignorant, naive college kids.

Joemailman
11-17-2019, 10:40 AM
So many good players came out of that. I'm sure the NFL had a really solid, well thought out rationale to eliminate the most functional farm league they had that didn't involve the exploitation of ignorant, naive college kids.

NFL Europe was losing was about 30 million a year. The rationale was to stop that, I imagine.

red
11-17-2019, 02:28 PM
i'm expecting a pretty long work stoppage this time

players aren't happy about the last one, and they can't stand goddell

George Cumby
11-17-2019, 03:27 PM
NFL Europe was losing was about 30 million a year. The rationale was to stop that, I imagine.

I was being tongue in cheek, $ is always central to the NFL's decision making.

30 million is nominal when Rodgers pulls down that in one season.

Hence my sarcasm.

Zool
11-17-2019, 03:30 PM
I was being tongue in cheek, $ is always central to the NFL's decision making.

30 million is nominal when Rodgers pulls down that in one season.

Hence my sarcasm.

It’s less than Goodell makes in a year.

texaspackerbacker
11-17-2019, 08:30 PM
Here is the wish list for the owners. Unclear how much player buy-in there is.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-17-game-season-would-work-in-proposed-cba-with-vote-expected-after-the-2019-season/

17 games (the extra game is out of market), 2 preseason plus one official scrimmage with second team, larger roster, 2 bye weeks, pro football played through the end of February. Season still starts Labor Day. Extra wild card to expand playoffs.

What do you mean by "out of market"?

pbmax
11-17-2019, 08:41 PM
What do you mean by "out of market"?

Packers and Bears could play a game at Notre Dame or London and still have 8 home games and 8 away games. The 17th game would be somewhere else.

Fritz
11-21-2019, 05:18 AM
The media - thanks to their anti-union bias and the weakness of the players' union - is already talking like this is a done deal.

Ugh.

Pretty soon the NFL will be a year-round "sport." Ugh.

pbmax
11-21-2019, 08:47 AM
The media - thanks to their anti-union bias and the weakness of the players' union - is already talking like this is a done deal.

Ugh.

Pretty soon the NFL will be a year-round "sport." Ugh.

Yeah. Sometimes I wonder if the NFLPA has a comms department.

run pMc
11-21-2019, 04:30 PM
They should just let all 53 be available to play, and maybe expand that even. Doubt it will happen, owners like to pinch pennies.

I don't really watch the preseason games, and certainly wouldn't pay to see one, so...meh. Preseason games are often pretty important for the rookies and bubble players.

I don't care much for adding a 17th game. 16 games seems ok to me. They stretch the season and all the off season crap too much (pretty soon the combine will be in March and the draft in May). Getting rid of preseason games for real games makes sense in a way, but the players are gonna want incentives (i.e., more pay probably) for that.

Now get off my damn lawn. LOL

MadScientist
11-21-2019, 05:28 PM
The season is brutal to the players as is. Larger rosters don't matter much because the best players start and play the bulk of the time until they get injured. Adding an extra game increases the chance for injury. It's going to be very difficult if not impossible to get the players to agree to this.

If I were the players, I'd push for stretching the season by adding an extra bye, with the caveat that there always be a bye week before a Thursday game. This would greatly improve the quality of the Thursday games, extend the season an extra week for greater TV $$$ while improving player health. They'll probably agree to the extra playoff game, as long as it isn't an extra week. It's not as big as the owners want, but it also keeps things from being overdone. Plus at the end of the day, you still have to have players to play the game.

MadtownPacker
11-21-2019, 11:52 PM
The idea of playing games at college stadiums in areas that don't have NFL teams is interesting.

I wonder how all this would affect the draft. With postseason running through February, combine would have to moved back. Do they move the draft into May, or have less time between combine and draft?The extra game played near the home region would be a big hit IMO. During the Raiders battle with their county about the Oakland Coliseum one of the sites brought up to play temporarily was Fresno St stadium. The local hype was off the charts for a minute. No doubt 49ers would be just as appealing. I imagine Packers game at Camp Randall would be a hot ticket.

I just don’t dig the playing in London. Fans almost seemed confused at times. Keeping it regional would be a win for everyone.

MadtownPacker
11-21-2019, 11:54 PM
New CBA should also allow CBD!

George Cumby
11-22-2019, 02:12 PM
Yes.