PDA

View Full Version : The Center

pbmax
11-20-2019, 09:11 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJwDkDjXYAAQeCI?format=png&name=small

MadtownPacker
11-20-2019, 09:25 AM
Could ingognito’s crazy ass have been signed for cheap?

KYPack
11-20-2019, 10:02 AM
Could ingognito’s crazy ass have been signed for cheap?

Oh yeah.

Crazy Richie signed with Oak for a cool million, peanuts for a player of his caliber, but about right for a guy with his history.

OTOH, Billy Turner signed for four years @28 million.

Turner will earn about 11 million this season.

I must have been asleep at the wheel, had no idea his package was that pricey.

MadtownPacker
11-20-2019, 10:26 AM
Seems like the kind of guard dog Rodgers would appreciate.

Vincenzo
11-20-2019, 11:06 AM
Wow, I had no idea Jenkins was doing that well. It kind of explains some of the success associated with the improved run game this season. At times the entire offensive line has looked dominant.

Upnorth
11-20-2019, 12:27 PM
He has been mentioned as a darkhorse rookie of the Year. But since he is not skill position there is no way he can win

run pMc
11-20-2019, 12:56 PM
Jenkins has been a good pick, played very well for a rookie, and based on the stats posted (source?) he's in very good company. If they can find a RT next draft who plays as well they'll have the makings of a really good line.

Side thought: I wonder if his numbers are at the expense of Bahktiari, i.e., Bahk is helping him out and Jenkins looks good for it, but it's causing Bahk's LT duties to slip? I honestly doubt it, but I do wonder if it's happening occasionally.

Re: Richie "Privacy Mode" Incognito -- I was surprised he still could find a job; that guy is all kinds of crazy. But when I saw Gruden signed him, it completely made sense. (Barrett Robbins, anyone?) Maybe they have him on proper meds or something now. The Raiders OL is no joke, and he's part of the reason why. Mean son of a gun, apparently with something still in the tank.

George Cumby
11-20-2019, 01:21 PM
No, no, no, no, no. We should have drafted some flashy player some other SMART team drafted.

Zool
11-20-2019, 01:31 PM
Jenkins has been a good pick, played very well for a rookie, and based on the stats posted (source?) he's in very good company. If they can find a RT next draft who plays as well they'll have the makings of a really good line.

Side thought: I wonder if his numbers are at the expense of Bahktiari, i.e., Bahk is helping him out and Jenkins looks good for it, but it's causing Bahk's LT duties to slip? I honestly doubt it, but I do wonder if it's happening occasionally.

Re: Richie "Privacy Mode" Incognito -- I was surprised he still could find a job; that guy is all kinds of crazy. But when I saw Gruden signed him, it completely made sense. (Barrett Robbins, anyone?) Maybe they have him on proper meds or something now. The Raiders OL is no joke, and he's part of the reason why. Mean son of a gun, apparently with something still in the tank.

This year, I keep seeing Bacteria over committing to an outside rush and getting beat inside. Bosa ate him up a few times with this exact move. They won't return my calls or emails on the subject of blocking assignments, so I can't say for sure that the rookie isn't supposed to be a backup of sorts. It sure looks like Bac is playing on 1 leg.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2019, 01:47 PM
All the initial post shows is, interior defensive linemen in the NFL are at best, inconsistent. Sure, there are rare breeds like Luke or Erin Donald. But the majority of them aren't gold playas.

When will NFL GMs realize that the math says that they shouldn't draft fat guys - interior linemen, offensively and defensively - til at least the 4th round? There ain't much kung fu drop off between Kenny Clark (1st round pick) and some 6th round pick starting nose tackle for the Browns. This ain't Klemm and Whitticker for Wahle and Rivera. Substitute Taylor, McCray or even Bryon Fucking Bell for the Fucking Center, and the drop-off in pass pro wouldn't be noticeable, although McCray and Bell sucked at run pro, which ain't the point of this thread, yo.

Vincenzo
11-20-2019, 01:56 PM
Impressive for a rookie!

texaspackerbacker
11-20-2019, 02:00 PM
I wonder if these percentages are based on sacks, or just pressures. Rodgers escapes a lot of pressures, especially up the middle.

pbmax
11-20-2019, 06:06 PM
I wonder if these percentages are based on sacks, or just pressures. Rodgers escapes a lot of pressures, especially up the middle.

Its based on winning the block within less than 3 seconds. If Rodgers hangs on past that, its on him.

RashanGary
11-20-2019, 08:00 PM
Its based on winning the block within less than 3 seconds. If Rodgers hangs on past that, its on him.

You just poked a geyser sized leak in Tex’s canoe. :lol:

What say you now, Tex Norris??

Bretsky
11-20-2019, 08:09 PM
No, no, no, no, no. We should have drafted some flashy player some other SMART team drafted.

Are you saying we should be picking the smash mouth football player with production versus the flashy guy with measurables ?

RashanGary
11-20-2019, 09:06 PM
Are you saying we should be picking the smash mouth football player with production versus the flashy guy with measurables ?

You fucker :lol:

Bretsky
11-20-2019, 09:29 PM
You fucker :lol:

HAHA

You read right through the TRAP question.............

Patler
11-20-2019, 09:29 PM

Larry McCarren has commented often about Jenkins, normally praising his run blocking while saying he is a good pass blocker, but subject to the expected rookie miscues in communication and reaction to what pass rushers do. So, you might be on to something re: Bakhtiari's seeming decline. McCarren seems to be very impressed with Jenkins, saying all he needs is experience.

Radagast
11-20-2019, 10:08 PM

As rare as I agree with Tex, I must say that he had a valid question. I read no negatives in his post. Also, the three second rule should serve as a mark to bear in mind for some posters.

I'm well pleased with the Packers offensive line play this season. Bulaga's play at LT may be the weak link due to his past injuries. I look for a 1st or 2nd round draft pick to take a LT for the Pack in the 2020 NFL Draft.

I've heard from loads of former coaches/players over the years that the real evaluation of an O-line is not based upon individual play, but on how well they play together as a TEAM. That said, one player can disrupt the play of the entire line. This 2019 O-line may not be the best in the NFL, yet they do play well together and are getting better as a unit every game. IMO, the run blocking in particular has seen marked improvement as the season has progressed.

pbmax
11-20-2019, 10:42 PM
I think the emphasis on holding is killing Bach this year, plus whatever is physically ailing him.

His hands on the outside of the shoulder pads technique is getting all sorts of penalty attention this year.

KYPack
11-20-2019, 10:48 PM
I realize that I risk the "wrath of Rada" with this post, but Bulaga is the RT. We won't be drafting an LT high in the upcoming draft . Bahk has been real shaky this season and the assumption that he's playing hurt. They've committed to him and he will be our LT for a few years in the future. BB is one tough bastard and has hung tough for many seasons now. Jenkins has been extremely impressive. He continues to improve each game in what has been an extremely impressive rookie season.

As several posters have mentioned, he is the kind of guy with the skills to transition to a OT position. It wouldn't shock me for the FO to look to him as the RT of the future

Fritz
11-21-2019, 05:11 AM
Be funny if, that being the case, the Pack drafted another guard in the second or third round while passing on a steroid-induced freak, causing Tank to give up and become a model corporate citizen.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-21-2019, 05:58 AM

Reason #1 for why you don’t draft fat guys til the 5th round. You don’t draft Raji over Brian Crushing. The fucking center over DK Metcalf.

Any fat guy worth his fat oughta be able to pass pro for 3 seconds. If he can’t, find someone else who can. Plenty of fish in the sea.

Likewise, 99.9% of the fat guys playing defense in the NFL cannot penetrate the A, B,C,D gaps and impregnate the QB in 3 seconds or less. The king-fu (skillz) of an undrafted fat guy from Wisconsin-Stevens Point ain’t that inferior from that of a 1st rounder from Alabama.

pbmax
11-21-2019, 08:47 AM
Reason #1 for why you don’t draft fat guys til the 5th round. You don’t draft Raji over Brian Crushing. The fucking center over DK Metcalf.

Any fat guy worth his fat oughta be able to pass pro for 3 seconds. If he can’t, find someone else who can. Plenty of fish in the sea.

Likewise, 99.9% of the fat guys playing defense in the NFL cannot penetrate the A, B,C,D gaps and impregnate the QB in 3 seconds or less. The king-fu (skillz) of an undrafted fat guy from Wisconsin-Stevens Point ain’t that inferior from that of a 1st rounder from Alabama.

You can find a LOT of skill position talent late. No so for big bodies that could also play tackle.

texaspackerbacker
11-21-2019, 11:58 AM
First of all, it has always been my contention that Aaron Rodgers' escapability is the primary reason for his unparalleled success despite shitty pass blocking.

Secondly, I very much appreciate the goodness of Jenkins in both the run game and the passing game - it was about time we got lucky drafting an O Lineman. However, it is a helluva lot easier to be a Guard and block in a more confined space than to be a Tackle and have the prospect of blocking some athletic freak who can either get around you outside or juke you and get inside you.

Third, I've never had the high regard for Bakhtiari that others have, and he certainly does seem worse this year - for whatever reason.

Fourth, there's some degree of truth in both what APB and pbmax said in the last two posts. Drafting big linemen, offensive anyway, in early rounds is definitely a crap shoot. I'd modify what APB said from 5th round to 3rd round, though - where we got Jenkins. And yes, it is a helluva lot easier to find late round gems among RBs and WRs than linemen. There's a lot of luck involved in both cases.

I want the Packers to get D Line in the first round next draft. After that, I'd like to see a Corner or Safety, and then ILB or O Line in the third and fourth rounds.

pbmax
11-21-2019, 12:31 PM
First of all, it has always been my contention that Aaron Rodgers' escapability is the primary reason for his unparalleled success despite shitty pass blocking.

Secondly, I very much appreciate the goodness of Jenkins in both the run game and the passing game - it was about time we got lucky drafting an O Lineman. However, it is a helluva lot easier to be a Guard and block in a more confined space than to be a Tackle and have the prospect of blocking some athletic freak who can either get around you outside or juke you and get inside you.

Third, I've never had the high regard for Bakhtiari that others have, and he certainly does seem worse this year - for whatever reason.

Fourth, there's some degree of truth in both what APB and pbmax said in the last two posts. Drafting big linemen, offensive anyway, in early rounds is definitely a crap shoot. I'd modify what APB said from 5th round to 3rd round, though - where we got Jenkins. And yes, it is a helluva lot easier to find late round gems among RBs and WRs than linemen. There's a lot of luck involved in both cases.

I want the Packers to get D Line in the first round next draft. After that, I'd like to see a Corner or Safety, and then ILB or O Line in the third and fourth rounds.

LEERoy Jenkins was second round, pick #44.

Rodgers both helps his lineman with his mobility and hurts their numbers by holding onto the ball forever. In terms of total sack numbers, he increases them.

texaspackerbacker
11-21-2019, 01:20 PM
I stand corrected on the round in the draft thing. OK. we got lucky with a second rounder instead of a third rounder hahahahaha.

run pMc
11-21-2019, 04:16 PM

I think there's a 2020 draft thread somewhere. Probably.

BPA ALL THE WAY! LOL Seriously, way too difficult to figure it all out, and drafting for need happens to some extent. If we were going purely off need I'd say stud 3 down ILB first, then future 10 year starting RT, then WR, DL, CB, RB, and maybe K.
Of course, this probably jinxes us to a draft where Gute drafts QB, S, OLB, TE, K, CB, and QB to be converted to RB. (Too Teddish?)

To be clear, I don't disagree with some who think another stud DL (Jeffrey Simmons over Rashan Gary?) would help out Kenny Clark and help improve the middle of the defense. I'm not convinced that's how the board will fall, but if it does I won't complain. Unless we end up with Datone Jones Jr. LOL

bobblehead
11-22-2019, 01:47 AM
I think the emphasis on holding is killing Bach this year, plus whatever is physically ailing him.

His hands on the outside of the shoulder pads technique is getting all sorts of penalty attention this year.

Pretty much for years I have said that Bak's greatest talent is getting away with holding and being better than the lump next to him. Bak was never as good as many here think. He is good, top 10ish good, but not top 2 or 3. Now that they are calling his holds, he has to have better feet....which are not in the same class as Trent Williams.

RashanGary
11-22-2019, 07:19 AM
Pass pro is so important, I’d count it three times and count each of the others once.

Bakh
Pass pro: B+
POA Run: B
Outside Zone: C
2nd Level/Screen: C
Overall: B

Jenkins
Pass Pro: B (with A potential)
POA run: B (with A potential)
Outside Zone: B- (with B+ potential)
2nd level/Screen: B (With B+ potential)

Lindsley
Pass Pro: B+
POA run: B
Outside Zone: C
Second level/screen: C-

Turner
Pass Pro: C
POA run: B
Outside Zone: B+
2nd level/screen: B+
Overall B

Bulaga
Pass pro: B+
POA run: B-
Outside Zone: C+
2nd Level/Screen: C
Overall B

The way I see it, we have a bunch of good OL. Bakh, Lindsley and Bulaga all excel in pass pro but have limitations outside of that. Turner misses sometimes in Pass pro but excels with athleticism and aggression. Jenkins good across the board but has potential to be great.

RashanGary
11-22-2019, 07:35 AM
If you move on from Tramon, Graham, Mercedes and Lane Taylor maybe you can justify keeping Bulaga around as the resident high priced old guy.

But if they like what they have developing in Madison and Light, maybe you slide Jenkins out to RT, move Madison to guard and roll that money else where.

There is a lot we don’t know about the developmental guys so it’s hard to predict what will happen going forward.

Sparkey
11-22-2019, 08:59 AM
I realize that I risk the "wrath of Rada" with this post, but Bulaga is the RT. We won't be drafting an LT high in the upcoming draft . Bahk has been real shaky this season and the assumption that he's playing hurt. They've committed to him and he will be our LT for a few years in the future. BB is one tough bastard and has hung tough for many seasons now. Jenkins has been extremely impressive. He continues to improve each game in what has been an extremely impressive rookie season.

As several posters have mentioned, he is the kind of guy with the skills to transition to a OT position. It wouldn't shock me for the FO to look to him as the RT of the future

If I remember correctly, Bahktiari was dealing with a lower back injury around the Vikings game. I have not heard much about it since, but based on my experience with lower back injuries is that once they appear, they never go away completely.

Too me, that would explain the misses. You lose some flexibility and quick twitch reaction when dealing with lower back issues so he is cheating at times and getting beat because of it.

Bretsky
11-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Be funny if, that being the case, the Pack drafted another guard in the second or third round while passing on a steroid-induced freak, causing Tank to give up and become a model corporate citizen.

1. We assume he is on roids but there is no evidence
2. Tank has noted before we should have drafted Metcalf instead of Gary.

How many of us would turn down that trade proposal (basides everybobdy in Seattle)

Zool
11-24-2019, 01:00 AM
1. We assume he is on roids but there is no evidence
2. Tank has noted before we should have drafted Metcalf instead of Gary.

How many of us would turn down that trade proposal (basides everybobdy in Seattle)

With today’s information or April information?

Upnorth
11-24-2019, 07:42 AM
In hindsight Metcalf instead of gary is a no brainer. However in hindsight I would have picked many other players over gary and Metcalf. Hindsight is easy to pick the winners, unless it is McCarthy reviewing slocums season performance and deciding to keep him another year. (Still haven't let that one go. I might need therapy)

Bretsky
11-24-2019, 08:24 AM
In hindsight Metcalf instead of gary is a no brainer. However in hindsight I would have picked many other players over gary and Metcalf. Hindsight is easy to pick the winners, unless it is McCarthy reviewing slocums season performance and deciding to keep him another year. (Still haven't let that one go. I might need therapy)

BINGO; great points. Saying I want Metcalf over Gary is not really saying how great Metcalf is; in reality there are probably 10 guys drafted after Gary I'd take over Metcalf.

Ted Thompson is the real reason we picked Gary. Had he not screwed the pooch and drafted Kevin King over TJ Watt a few years ago we'd have passed on Gary for sure :))

beveaux1
11-24-2019, 12:12 PM
BINGO; great points. Saying I want Metcalf over Gary is not really saying how great Metcalf is; in reality there are probably 10 guys drafted after Gary I'd take over Metcalf.

Ted Thompson is the real reason we picked Gary. Had he not screwed the pooch and drafted Kevin King over TJ Watt a few years ago we'd have passed on Gary for sure :))

The real question to me is who was going to sit while Gary plays this year? I, for one, haven't given up on the guy just because he hasn't taken snaps away from the Smiths.
Gary was drafted after his junior year, he had never really played OLB, and the team knew it would take time to develop him.
They also knew that getting someone with his measurables with the 12th pick in the draft was a bargain.
If...and this is a big if, he develops over the next three years, he could really be another pass rushing dynamo.
We'd be able to put 3 possible double figure sackers on the field at the same time along with Clark.

Neither of the Smiths were dynamic their first year. As a matter of fact, neither has been this good before this year.
Give him 3 or 4 years before calling him a bust. He seems to already be making some progress this year.

Fritz
11-24-2019, 12:49 PM
The real question to me is who was going to sit while Gary plays this year? I, for one, haven't given up on the guy just because he hasn't taken snaps away from the Smiths.
Gary was drafted after his junior year, he had never really played OLB, and the team knew it would take time to develop him.
They also knew that getting someone with his measurables with the 12th pick in the draft was a bargain.
If...and this is a big if, he develops over the next three years, he could really be another pass rushing dynamo.
We'd be able to put 3 possible double figure sackers on the field at the same time along with Clark.

Neither of the Smiths were dynamic their first year. As a matter of fact, neither has been this good before this year.
Give him 3 or 4 years before calling him a bust. He seems to already be making some progress this year.

There. Had to get that emphasis right.

Bretsky
11-24-2019, 08:05 PM

Kyle Fackrell. That is the slug he need to get better than someday. But he's not now and ain't taking snaps away

Didn't a GB coach call Gary the best Edge in the draft ? They thought they were getting instant production. And I'm fairly confident they could do something the Michigan coaches would not; coach up those elite numbers and turn them into production. Maybe they still can.

Maybe they thought he was a bargain. Who knows on that one. Neither of the Smiths were top half of the NFL draft picks, or at least I don't think they were. Both were producers last year and that is why Gooter paid them the big bux. But draft picks don't have 3 to 4 year windows (and thank God most don't need it). That is about when their contract is expiring.

I'm not sure I've ever called Gary a bust. I've called him a lot of shit....in the end they all equate to one thing...bad decision. But I don't think I've called him a bust.

As many will recall I didn't like Devante Adams either; he proved me wrong.

I hope Tarzan Jane does too

beveaux1
11-25-2019, 08:49 AM
Kyle Fackrell. That is the slug he need to get better than someday. But he's not now and ain't taking snaps away

Didn't a GB coach call Gary the best Edge in the draft ? They thought they were getting instant production. And I'm fairly confident they could do something the Michigan coaches would not; coach up those elite numbers and turn them into production. Maybe they still can.

Maybe they thought he was a bargain. Who knows on that one. Neither of the Smiths were top half of the NFL draft picks, or at least I don't think they were. Both were producers last year and that is why Gooter paid them the big bux. But draft picks don't have 3 to 4 year windows (and thank God most don't need it). That is about when their contract is expiring.

I'm not sure I've ever called Gary a bust. I've called him a lot of shit....in the end they all equate to one thing...bad decision. But I don't think I've called him a bust.

As many will recall I didn't like Devante Adams either; he proved me wrong.

I hope Tarzan Jane does too

The 49ers have a few players drafted in the top 15 of previous drafts. Some make immediate impact. Some take a little longer
to contribute. I'm not sure we made a mistake. I think we got exactly what we drafted. A young prospect with a high upside
at a position where he doesn't need to contribute immediately.

If a QB is available when we draft (24th or later)(Tua), it wouldn't necessarily be a mistake to take him. He might be Rodgers'
replacement in a few years.

Would I like to have a receiver that contributes now but has a lower upside in the future? That's debatable. I'm not sure he would contribute
now given Rodgers need to "be on the same page" with his receivers. He'd likely have no different numbers than Lazard or Scantling with us.

I hope Gary develops in the future. Next year will likely be a bigger year since Fackrell will no longer be with us. We'll see.

call_me_ishmael
11-25-2019, 10:02 AM
Had he not screwed the pooch and drafted Kevin King over TJ Watt a few years ago we'd have passed on Gary for sure :))

I was okay with King at the time, but wow, this is looking like a historically bad blunder. TJ is gonna win DPOY. Kevin King might make a good back-up for somebody. At this point, you're only issuing him his 5th year option because you're so invested and hope to get _something_ out of it, right?

Zool
11-25-2019, 10:24 AM
I was okay with King at the time, but wow, this is looking like a historically bad blunder. TJ is gonna win DPOY. Kevin King might make a good back-up for somebody. At this point, you're only issuing him his 5th year option because you're so invested and hope to get _something_ out of it, right?

2nd round pick. No such thing as a 5th year option.

Patler
11-25-2019, 10:35 AM
I'm not as down on King as many on here are.

Zool
11-25-2019, 10:46 AM

He's pretty mediocre. He's flashed a few times. I guess you could do worse, but you could do better too.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/11/21/green-bay-packers-hole-middle-defense-vulnerable-49-ers-passing-attack/4250309002/

Patler
11-25-2019, 11:00 AM
He's pretty mediocre. He's flashed a few times. I guess you could do worse, but you could do better too.

I think his overall play is much better than mediocre. I also think a few of the plays that have made King look bad were not in fact his fault, and we just saw King trying to make up for someone else's mistake, who wasn't even in the picture we saw. Just my opinion.

beveaux1
11-25-2019, 12:03 PM
I think his overall play is much better than mediocre. I also think a few of the plays that have made King look bad were not in fact his fault, and we just saw King trying to make up for someone else's mistake, who wasn't even in the picture we saw. Just my opinion.

That's the same opinion I have. For a 2nd CB, we could do a lot worse.

Patler
11-25-2019, 12:06 PM
That's the same opinion I have. For a 2nd CB, we could do a lot worse.

… and they have done a lot worse in the past! :-)

Zool
11-25-2019, 01:17 PM
His rep in college was strong bump and run. He plays 8 yards off everyone now. The play on Kittle last night was just embarrassing for him.

texaspackerbacker
11-25-2019, 01:19 PM
I have to think that our secondary coach ought to be able to conjure up some kind of zone or combo defense to compensate for lame ass personnel and front seven play. Other teams do that; Why can't we?

Bretsky
11-25-2019, 08:57 PM

I think King has a lot of talent; I see him as a decent starter overall but he needs to stay healthy and get consistent reps

call_me_ishmael
11-25-2019, 10:55 PM
2nd round pick. No such thing as a 5th year option.

I am pretty sure I've made this mistake at least 10 times in the past year. The trade down will just never compute.

Zool
11-26-2019, 01:11 AM
I am pretty sure I've made this mistake at least 10 times in the past year. The trade down will just never compute.

Only because a home town kid at a position of need to played college in state was available at the pick.

Joemailman
11-26-2019, 06:30 AM
I think King has a lot of talent; I see him as a decent starter overall but he needs to stay healthy and get consistent reps

FWIW, the long play to Kittle was not King's fault. There should have been a safety in the middle of the field to pick him up when he cut to the inside.

beveaux1
11-26-2019, 07:53 AM
FWIW, the long play to Kittle was not King's fault. There should have been a safety in the middle of the field to pick him up when he cut to the inside.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. King and Alexander began chasing Kittle when they realized an area was uncovered.

beveaux1
11-26-2019, 07:59 AM
This has happened quite a bit in the past few games. I think Savage had responsibility this time but followed the QBs eyes and bit to the left. King’s responsibility looked to be the left side to the sideline. He seems to be the first to notice the blown coverage and chases the receiver. He’s done this in other games and the public blames him, when, in reality, he’s the first to notice the problem.

Zool
11-26-2019, 10:12 AM

There were multiple long ones to Kittle. The play action deep ball after the Packer TD looked exactly like he had the deep middle on that coverage. He turned to run with Kittle, turned his head the other way, and looked back about 4 seconds too late.

https://www.49ers.com/video/49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-deebo-samuel-touchdown-sunday-night-football

The replay from the All 22 in this video shows it exactly. King turns towards the sidelines, Kittle turns up and in.

call_me_ishmael
11-26-2019, 12:06 PM
Only because a home town kid at a position of need to played college in state was available at the pick.

No I mean literally I simply forget that they made the trade and it was a second round pick. If you asked me 100 times what round King was drafted in, I think I would say first 99 of them.

beveaux1
11-26-2019, 12:32 PM
There were multiple long ones to Kittle. The play action deep ball after the Packer TD looked exactly like he had the deep middle on that coverage. He turned to run with Kittle, turned his head the other way, and looked back about 4 seconds too late.

https://www.49ers.com/video/49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-deebo-samuel-touchdown-sunday-night-football

The replay from the All 22 in this video shows it exactly. King turns towards the sidelines, Kittle turns up and in.

This quote from JSOnline

King not to blame
LaFleur basically confirmed 49ers tight end George Kittle’s 61-yard touchdown in the second half was not cornerback Kevin King’s fault. King initially covered Kittle on the play, but he turned to guard against the outside of the field at the top of Kittle’s route. Kittle turned inside on a post route, finding nothing but open space in the middle of the field.
That open space shouldn’t have existed, LaFleur said, because King should have had help inside.
“They ran a keeper corner post to Kittle,” LaFleur said, “and we cut the crosser and didn’t have anybody replacing on the back side to make sure we plug the middle of the field. That was versus quarters coverage.”

Zool
11-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Crazy. It sure looks like Kittle was past the back end of the zone. WTF to I know I guess.

Patler
11-26-2019, 03:18 PM

This quote from JSOnline

King not to blame
LaFleur basically confirmed 49ers tight end George Kittle’s 61-yard touchdown in the second half was not cornerback Kevin King’s fault. King initially covered Kittle on the play, but he turned to guard against the outside of the field at the top of Kittle’s route. Kittle turned inside on a post route, finding nothing but open space in the middle of the field.
That open space shouldn’t have existed, LaFleur said, because King should have had help inside.
“They ran a keeper corner post to Kittle,” LaFleur said, “and we cut the crosser and didn’t have anybody replacing on the back side to make sure we plug the middle of the field. That was versus quarters coverage.”

That has happened often to our CBs this year, and most often fans criticize them. In fact, GB is still a long way from fixing their safety problem.

Guiness
11-26-2019, 04:25 PM

Savage lined up over Kittle, but peeled off and chased someone up the sidelines.

I said 'oh no' as soon as I saw him take a step that way. Girlfriend was like 'what? oh..." I was pretty sure Kittle was going to be the Pack's undoing.

edit: just watched the video, Savage went inside, not out.

pbmax
11-26-2019, 10:20 PM
This quote from JSOnline

King not to blame

If it was quarters coverage, that means two guys were moving. One should have cut to the crosser, one stay deep. Both probably jumped up short.

Some of this could be Savage being in his first year.

pbmax
11-26-2019, 10:21 PM
That has happened often to our CBs this year, and most often fans criticize them. In fact, GB is still a long way from fixing their safety problem.

Happened to Randall two years ago too. That game was the meltdown on the sidelines when he got sent to the locker room.

Fritz
11-27-2019, 10:19 AM
I wonder if Campbell will help with some of this, letting Amos stay in the back.

texaspackerbacker
11-27-2019, 12:35 PM
It seems like the main reason there is no Safety in the middle of the field is that both are needed to help both Corners - and even then, they can't cover receivers outside or inside. Blitz the hell out of teams! If putting more people in coverage still doesn't result in adequate coverage, then go after the QB - it can't be worse that the way it was. They did that with fair success early, but then they changed it up and let those twin pigs from Northwestern on the field.