PDA

View Full Version : why was lynn dickey released?

red
11-24-2019, 03:43 PM
the first game i ever went to was a preseason game between the packers and the patriots back in 1986

obviously as a young kid, my favorite players was the QB of my favorite team, lynn dickey. could tell you much about him, but he was my favorite at the time

i was on cloud 9 the next day until my dad got home from work and told me my favorite packer, who i just saw the night before in person, was released by the team. thats when i learned the NFL is a bitch

why i never knew was why it happened. there was no interweb forums back then, and i didn't read newspapers or watch the news

so, for you older geezers. does anyone remember why it happened?

i'm not saying we would have one super bowls if we had kept him, or that he was even all that great of a QB, but lets face it, randy write fucking sucked.

so what was the reasoning behind the move? was he just too damn old (39)?

RashanGary
11-24-2019, 03:49 PM
the first game i ever went to was a preseason game between the packers and the patriots back in 1986

obviously as a young kid, my favorite players was the QB of my favorite team, lynn dickey. could tell you much about him, but he was my favorite at the time

i was on cloud 9 the next day until my dad got home from work and told me my favorite packer, who i just saw the night before in person, was released by the team. thats when i learned the NFL is a bitch

why i never knew was why it happened. there was no interweb forums back then, and i didn't read newspapers or watch the news

so, for you older geezers. does anyone remember why it happened?

i'm not saying we would have one super bowls if we had kept him, or that he was even all that great of a QB, but lets face it, randy write fucking sucked.

so what was the reasoning behind the move? was he just too damn old (39)?

How old are you? I’m 38

hoosier
11-24-2019, 03:57 PM
Because he was old? The guy was 37 when he got cut. And players generally didn't treat the sport as a year round profession, so you can imagine that he probably wasn't in Bradyesque shape when he was summoned by the Turk.

red
11-24-2019, 03:59 PM
How old are you? I’m 38

Edit, wait no, 41. Damn old age

RashanGary
11-24-2019, 04:00 PM
I don’t remember dickey. First QBs were write, dilweg and then Magic. Only Halloween costume i remember was magic.

Joemailman
11-24-2019, 04:22 PM
https://lombardiave.com/2012/06/11/today-in-packers-history-team-cuts-ties-with-lynn-dickey/

Packers Give Up Rights to Lynn Dickey
June 11, 2012 | Eric Goska |
June 11, 1986 – The Green Bay Packers announce they have notified the NFL that they are relinquishing all rights to veteran quarterback Lynn Dickey. The decision to cut ties with Dickey comes down to money, and it occurs a little more than 10 years after he was obtained in a trade (with the Houston Oilers) to bring stability to the quarterback position. “We just had to make a decision, based on what his worth to us is,” Packers coach Forrest Gregg says. “I don’t think 110 percent of his salary is a fair figure.” Dickey, 36, notified the team that he would re-sign for that amount ($935,000), but the price tag was well above the $215,000 the Packers reportedly offered him in February to retain his rights.

Dickey was as immobile as they come, and was coming off a season in which he started only 10 games. Besides, they had an up and coming Randy Wright on the roster.

red
11-24-2019, 04:44 PM
https://lombardiave.com/2012/06/11/today-in-packers-history-team-cuts-ties-with-lynn-dickey/

Dickey was as immobile as they come, and was coming off a season in which he started only 10 games. Besides, they had an up and coming Randy Wright on the roster.

yeah, i saw that part, but then i read where they did re sign him for a year, only to cut him a couple months later

KYPack
11-24-2019, 05:07 PM
Lynn should have played that season. Forrest Gregg lost his mind that year. He had some kind of weird vision that he was going to be a total baddass and retool the Pack in his image. Gregg's ego got in his way. He cut or let go of DE Mike Butler, TE Paul Coffman, LB Mike Douglass, LB George Cumby and OT Greg Koch in the pre-season. But the big loss was cutting Lynn Dickey. Gregg wanted to break the trend of three 8-8 seasons in a row. HOF WR James Lofton was in his prime. With the loss of Dickey and other key vets, the Pack staggered to it's first 12 loss season in their history to finish 4-12..

On the other hand, Lynn was on his last legs. He suffered many major injuries in his 15 year career. He might have not made it thru that last season, but he was the heart and soul of that ballclub. Why Gregg would cut a guy that had shown the guts that Lynn brought to the job is beyond me.

pbmax
11-24-2019, 05:59 PM
I almost forgot there was a salary cap before there was a salary cap*. This was ben before Plan B Contra... I mean Free Agency.

Not really, but vets had a payment schedule that the team could basically ignore at their will.

Patler
11-24-2019, 06:03 PM
Lynn should have played that season. Forrest Gregg lost his mind that year. He had some kind of weird vision that he was going to be a total baddass and retool the Pack in his image. Gregg's ego got in his way. He cut or let go of DE Mike Butler, TE Paul Coffman, LB Mike Douglass, LB George Cumby and OT Greg Koch in the pre-season. But the big loss was cutting Lynn Dickey. Gregg wanted to break the trend of three 8-8 seasons in a row. HOF WR James Lofton was in his prime. With the loss of Dickey and other key vets, the Pack staggered to it's first 12 loss season in their history to finish 4-12..

On the other hand, Lynn was on his last legs. He suffered many major injuries in his 15 year career. He might have not made it thru that last season, but he was the heart and soul of that ballclub. Why Gregg would cut a guy that had shown the guts that Lynn brought to the job is beyond me.

Yup. If you wanted a "tough guy" at QB to lead your offense, you couldn't do any better than Lynn Dickey, and I'm not forgetting Brett Favre in making that statement. People talk about the beating Favre took in the playoff game as a Viking, and he did. What most fail to remember is that that sort of thing was the norm until the '90s or so. QBs were laid out long after a pass was gone, as "continuation" of the pass rush. QBs would throw, and then still have to look around to avoid the rush. After an interception? Someone ALWAYS went after the QB to "block" for the return, to the point that some QBs headed immediately to the sideline when an INT was thrown. Being as immobile as any QB every, Dickey usually took a few hellacious hits every game, because he could avoid no one.

red
11-24-2019, 06:32 PM
I almost forgot there was a salary cap before there was a salary cap*. This was ben before Plan B Contra... I mean Free Agency.

Not really, but vets had a payment schedule that the team could basically ignore at their will.

i got a good laugh when i read about how the team gave up his rights that summer because greg thought giving dickey a raise from 850,000 to 950,000 just seemed insane

my, how things how changed

pbmax
11-24-2019, 10:35 PM
i got a good laugh when i read about how the team gave up his rights that summer because greg thought giving dickey a raise from 850,000 to 950,000 just seemed insane

my, how things how changed

The low ball offer tells you what they really thought. They probably didn't want to pay 800K, but the auto vet increase made a nice excuse.

Freak Out
11-24-2019, 10:46 PM

Gregg killed the Packers. Such a strange time.

Cheesehead Craig
11-25-2019, 08:06 AM
On the other hand, Lynn was on his last legs.

And his last ribs, spleen, kidney, shoulder, head, feet... I've never seen a QB take a beating like he did and still play.

Fritz
11-25-2019, 11:12 AM
Gregg killed the Packers. Such a strange time.

It's hard to believe Forrest Gregg took Cinci to a Super Bowl. In Green Bay, he was awful, just awful. He thought he could just be the tough guy and the team would respond by getting tough, too. His favorite team was the strike year replacement team, cuz they played hard.

Dickey is still my favorite Packer quarterback. He was a badass - his knees were shot to shit, but he stood in the pocket and made throws. As others have said, his big drawback was his lack of mobility.