PDA

View Full Version : Enough With The Fun

The Shadow
11-26-2019, 10:14 AM
I wish the Packer's defense spent more time working on coverage responsibilities than planning elaborate celebrations.
"Having fun out there" needs to go. Time to get serious.
I don't need a surgeon to have fun during an operation.
I don't require a dentist to have fun while performing my root canal.
Don't need a pilot to have fun during a flight.

The hell with the fun. The players are making ridiculous amounts of money to win games.

They need to all get off my lawn.

red
11-26-2019, 10:40 AM
And those players are gonna make the same amount of money no matter if they give 110% or 50%

Football became a business a long time ago, players are there for the money, they don’t get paid any more or less depending on if they win or lose

Winning only matters to head coaches and the fans

call_me_ishmael
11-26-2019, 11:05 AM
And those players are gonna make the same amount of money no matter if they give 110% or 50%

Football became a business a long time ago, players are there for the money, they don’t get paid any more or less depending on if they win or lose

That's nonsense. Just look at Roger Clements. Dude is legit crazy when it comes to winning. You don't become an alpha dog and great at everything you do without an insane drive to win. These guys are not just special athletes, most are special people who would be good at pretty much whatever they wanted to be.

MadScientist
11-26-2019, 11:15 AM

Not true, besides playoff and SB money that they can earn, winning players get a hell of a lot more endorsement opportunities. Also very very few players could reach this level without a seriously strong desire to win.

texaspackerbacker
11-26-2019, 11:41 AM
The first post is absolutely right on target. The second post stinks so bad it's got me agreeing with CMI, and that virtually never happens.

I got a little bit annoyed with that celebration crap, but when you're winning the game and it's something special like a takeaway, I can overlook it easily enough. It seems like I've seen some other teams do that who were not 8-3 ...... if I was there fans, I'd really be pissed off. The old expression, "act like you've been there before" comes to mind.

As for not caring about winning, who in their right mind doesn't want to win win win - in just about every context, money riding on it or not.

hoosier
11-26-2019, 12:55 PM
Who is Roger Clements?

Zool
11-26-2019, 01:20 PM
Who is Roger Clements?

Bratwurst heir?

ThunderDan
11-26-2019, 01:21 PM
Bratwurst heir?

Should have gone with Sausage King.

Gotarace
11-26-2019, 03:44 PM

I think the 50% effort number has to be laid on our number 1 pick Gary...he is running around like he his avoiding contact...they really need to light a fire under his ass

Guiness
11-26-2019, 04:42 PM
That's nonsense. Just look at Roger Clements. Dude is legit crazy when it comes to winning. You don't become an alpha dog and great at everything you do without an insane drive to win. These guys are not just special athletes, most are special people who would be good at pretty much whatever they wanted to be.

Hell of a pitcher, hell of a cheater who got caught. Will probably never see the HOF.

red
11-26-2019, 05:08 PM

Pitchers and boxers are the two athletes where people actually talk about wins and loses when talking about them

They never say “Erin Rodgers with 8 wins this year”. Nope, they mention his TDS, yards, but not his wins

A QB who throws 30 tds and wins two games will get paid the same as a qb who throws 30 tds and wins 12 games

Guys get paid these days based on personal stats, not wins. Most players care about stats, not wins

red
11-26-2019, 05:13 PM
Not true, besides playoff and SB money that they can earn, winning players get a hell of a lot more endorsement opportunities. Also very very few players could reach this level without a seriously strong desire to win.

Patriots got 80 some thousand each last year for the playoffs, and about 120k for winning the super bowl

That’s pretty much what the vet minimum is per game

Why are more and more college players skipping bowl games if they just want to win?

hoosier
11-26-2019, 08:10 PM
Hell of a pitcher, hell of a cheater who got caught. Will probably never see the HOF.

Oh, Roger Clemens?

Guiness
11-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Oh, Roger Clemens?

Going to go with that's who he meant.

https://i.imgur.com/Dr9QAta.png

pbmax
11-26-2019, 10:10 PM
This is all encouraged by the coaching of today. And I am not being snarky in saying that.

They want the energy maintained from good play to good play. They want encouragement and camaraderie on display at all possible times to carry them through the game.

Coaches are not choreographing end zone celebrations, but they want them.

Same as in basketball when everyone gets a low five even after missed free throws.

Bretsky
11-26-2019, 11:43 PM
Fire Dom Capers !!!

pbmax
11-27-2019, 09:52 AM
Frankly, if I am Murphy I take the following as an indictment of player acquisition or development.

1. Special Teams performance
2. WR
3. Lack of a middle of the defense
4. OL (might give them a break on LEEEEROY, but not much else)

Two completely different coaching staffs haven't solved these problems. I don't think its coaching.

Fritz
11-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Hiring a top-notch ST coach would help.

I'm not a fan of the elaborate celebrations. But I'm from a different generation. Still, I despise people high fiving or low fiving after missed free throws and dumb mistakes.

pbmax
11-28-2019, 09:12 PM
Hiring a top-notch ST coach would help.

I'm not a fan of the elaborate celebrations. But I'm from a different generation. Still, I despise people high fiving or low fiving after missed free throws and dumb mistakes.

I used to agree but I’ve come to appreciate the low five for a missed FT. Nice got your back moment.

Not sure a tackle after five yards on 1 at down needs the same.

But coaches want the energy. I’d be stunned if they weren’t reviewed for it with their position