PDA

View Full Version : State of Nutz

Deputy Nutz
12-02-2019, 12:06 PM
Hey All,

Some of you I recognize, and sadly some I do not. It's been crazy times in the ole' Nutroll household, but at least nobody has died this year, yet. The high school coaching season ended a bit early for us compared to previous years as we lost in round 2 of the playoffs. It was a pretty interesting season as our head coach from the previous 5 seasons got a tremendous job offer last year at this time to be an associate head coach and defensive coordinator at a high school down in Alabama. So through the coaching changes and all we still managed to win our conference, and beat our cross town rival only to lose to them in the playoffs and watch them go on and win a state title. Football season in the Nutz household is a family affair as my teenage daughter has actually worked her way up from manager to part of the coaching staff, my son finished his 8th grade season of football and will be a freshman next year, and my wife sits on the board of trustees of for the Jr. football program. Busy time for all of us but it is the most exciting time of the year for all of us.

So I have sort of been following the Packers this year as I am slowly starting to come back around to liking the Packers. No more Ted, and no more McCarthy, now I just have to wait for Rodgers to retire. The Packers are a good team under LaFluer and I like the direction of the franchise under his directives on the field. I still think the front office is unorganized and lacking leadership under Murphy but all in all I think at this point 9-3 is already a spectacular season for a first year coach.

2019 Free agents. So far so good on the Smith front, Z. Smith is a total monster and is worth every penny, and Preston isn't far behind. Amos is solid but certainly replaceable at some point. Billy Turner's play is level par, nothing to get excited about, but brings a solid foundation to the offensive line. Overall I liked what the Packers did in the Spring and it is paying off in the Fall.

2019 Draft Picks. I didn't understand the Gary pick last April although I thought his numbers and metrics meant something at the time and he could possibly turn some heads this fall. At this time I don't see jack squat from him. He has played less than 25% of all defensive snaps, and doesn't even play special teams. Darnell Savage is good, messed around with a serious ankle injury that set back his progress, but there is a lot to like about this kid. Elgton Jenkins may be one of the best young linemen in the NFL, and is surprising many in Green Bay as the most consistent linemen on the roster. Jace Sternberger has been a disappointment up till this point in the season, suffered through a terrible fall camp with injuries and has been set back in his progress.

Offense. Rodgers has a running game to back up his play at QB, probably the first time in his long career in Green Bay. Rodgers isn't having the eye popping statistics this season, but he is doing a decent job as a the field general moving the team on long drives. He still has the ability to scramble with the football and pick up first downs with his legs and his live arm. Jones and Williams make for a formidable one two punch, but sometimes LaFluer doesn't seem to understand which one of them has the hot hand. Jones was dynamic in the passing game for a several games and that magic has seemed to decrease as the season has aged.

The wide receiver crew is a mixed bag. Devonte Adams is demonstrating that he is recovered from the turf toe injury, but the young receivers from last year have not improved on the 2018 campaign. MVS has been a slight disappoint, along with Allison, and Kumerow. Jimmy Graham has yet to show that he has any juice left in his aging career. Packers need to find a way in the off season to find a legit number 2 next to Adams next year, whether through the draft or free agency.

Defensively the Packers seems to play well and then fall apart for an entire game. I am still waiting on Kevin King to play with some kind of consistency. Alexander plays well for long stretches and then seems to fall apart in coverage at times, but there is no doubt that he is a special kind of coverage player. Tramon Williams is giving this team everything he has but he is too long in the tooth. It would be nice if Josh Jackson would show any kind of promise for this team. I thought he was going to be a solid player if nothing else, total disappointment.

I really try to make myself think that Blake Martinez is a good football player, but at the end of the day he is what you expect out of a 4th round pick. He has 118 tackles on the year, but the Packers just need someone more athletic at the position. Martinez has played better this year than last year and having guys like Z. Smith, P. Smith, and Kenny Clark take up blockers should help.

Where the Packers go from here. They are still competing with the Vikings for the North title and they have to play the Vikings in the Twin Cities. The Packers have a reasonable shot at winning out and finishing 13-3. I think they finish 12-4 and play in the first round of the Playoffs. There are much better teams this year in the NFC. The Packers don't beat the Saints, 49ers, or the Seahawks.

Where they have to get better for 2020. The Packers have to find a replacement for Bulaga. He is a warrior and has managed to stay reasonably healthy but it was obvious when he got hurt against the 49ers the Packers had no answers. The Packers will also need to address the lack of skills at receiver, along with TE. Sternberger hasn't had the chance to show anything till this point in the season but even with him coming back the Packers should move on from Lewis and Graham. Defensively they need to find another middle linebacker to either play along side Martinez or replace him in the nickel and dime packages. The secondary still has a hole at the 5th and 6th defensive back as they have missed on two in the last 4 years of the draft in Jackson and Jones. Adding another interior defensive lineman would also seem like another need for the defense.

Gotarace
12-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Nutz always enjoy your insight and contributions to the forum...glad you found your way back

KYPack
12-02-2019, 03:03 PM
Glad to hear the Nutz's are doing well.

Keep posting, we need some of your expertise (and insanity ) on here.

wist43
12-04-2019, 01:46 AM
Hey All,

Some of you I recognize, and sadly some I do not. It's been crazy times in the ole' Nutroll household, but at least nobody has died this year, yet. The high school coaching season ended a bit early for us compared to previous years as we lost in round 2 of the playoffs. It was a pretty interesting season as our head coach from the previous 5 seasons got a tremendous job offer last year at this time to be an associate head coach and defensive coordinator at a high school down in Alabama. So through the coaching changes and all we still managed to win our conference, and beat our cross town rival only to lose to them in the playoffs and watch them go on and win a state title. Football season in the Nutz household is a family affair as my teenage daughter has actually worked her way up from manager to part of the coaching staff, my son finished his 8th grade season of football and will be a freshman next year, and my wife sits on the board of trustees of for the Jr. football program. Busy time for all of us but it is the most exciting time of the year for all of us.

So I have sort of been following the Packers this year as I am slowly starting to come back around to liking the Packers. No more Ted, and no more McCarthy, now I just have to wait for Rodgers to retire. The Packers are a good team under LaFluer and I like the direction of the franchise under his directives on the field. I still think the front office is unorganized and lacking leadership under Murphy but all in all I think at this point 9-3 is already a spectacular season for a first year coach.

2019 Free agents. So far so good on the Smith front, Z. Smith is a total monster and is worth every penny, and Preston isn't far behind. Amos is solid but certainly replaceable at some point. Billy Turner's play is level par, nothing to get excited about, but brings a solid foundation to the offensive line. Overall I liked what the Packers did in the Spring and it is paying off in the Fall.

2019 Draft Picks. I didn't understand the Gary pick last April although I thought his numbers and metrics meant something at the time and he could possibly turn some heads this fall. At this time I don't see jack squat from him. He has played less than 25% of all defensive snaps, and doesn't even play special teams. Darnell Savage is good, messed around with a serious ankle injury that set back his progress, but there is a lot to like about this kid. Elgton Jenkins may be one of the best young linemen in the NFL, and is surprising many in Green Bay as the most consistent linemen on the roster. Jace Sternberger has been a disappointment up till this point in the season, suffered through a terrible fall camp with injuries and has been set back in his progress.

Offense. Rodgers has a running game to back up his play at QB, probably the first time in his long career in Green Bay. Rodgers isn't having the eye popping statistics this season, but he is doing a decent job as a the field general moving the team on long drives. He still has the ability to scramble with the football and pick up first downs with his legs and his live arm. Jones and Williams make for a formidable one two punch, but sometimes LaFluer doesn't seem to understand which one of them has the hot hand. Jones was dynamic in the passing game for a several games and that magic has seemed to decrease as the season has aged.

The wide receiver crew is a mixed bag. Devonte Adams is demonstrating that he is recovered from the turf toe injury, but the young receivers from last year have not improved on the 2018 campaign. MVS has been a slight disappoint, along with Allison, and Kumerow. Jimmy Graham has yet to show that he has any juice left in his aging career. Packers need to find a way in the off season to find a legit number 2 next to Adams next year, whether through the draft or free agency.

Defensively the Packers seems to play well and then fall apart for an entire game. I am still waiting on Kevin King to play with some kind of consistency. Alexander plays well for long stretches and then seems to fall apart in coverage at times, but there is no doubt that he is a special kind of coverage player. Tramon Williams is giving this team everything he has but he is too long in the tooth. It would be nice if Josh Jackson would show any kind of promise for this team. I thought he was going to be a solid player if nothing else, total disappointment.

I really try to make myself think that Blake Martinez is a good football player, but at the end of the day he is what you expect out of a 4th round pick. He has 118 tackles on the year, but the Packers just need someone more athletic at the position. Martinez has played better this year than last year and having guys like Z. Smith, P. Smith, and Kenny Clark take up blockers should help.

Where the Packers go from here. They are still competing with the Vikings for the North title and they have to play the Vikings in the Twin Cities. The Packers have a reasonable shot at winning out and finishing 13-3. I think they finish 12-4 and play in the first round of the Playoffs. There are much better teams this year in the NFC. The Packers don't beat the Saints, 49ers, or the Seahawks.

Where they have to get better for 2020. The Packers have to find a replacement for Bulaga. He is a warrior and has managed to stay reasonably healthy but it was obvious when he got hurt against the 49ers the Packers had no answers. The Packers will also need to address the lack of skills at receiver, along with TE. Sternberger hasn't had the chance to show anything till this point in the season but even with him coming back the Packers should move on from Lewis and Graham. Defensively they need to find another middle linebacker to either play along side Martinez or replace him in the nickel and dime packages. The secondary still has a hole at the 5th and 6th defensive back as they have missed on two in the last 4 years of the draft in Jackson and Jones. Adding another interior defensive lineman would also seem like another need for the defense.

We have enough holes that the front office should be busy again this offseason.

#1 ILB - Martinez needs to be replaced. He's vacuous hole in the middle. Compromises the entire drfense.

#2 WR - Thought some of those young guys would develop, but not much happnin there. Need some talent infused there. Need clean route runners who can create seperation.

#3 TE/OT - equal amount of need at both.

Overall, with another year of development from the young guys, and an infusion of talent from roster churn next offseason, we might could be good enough to stay slightly behind the elite NFC teams.

Don't see us being able to compete with SF, NO, or SEA anytime soon. And of course the clock continues to tick down on Rodgers.

pbmax
12-04-2019, 09:20 AM
Don't see us being able to compete with SF, NO, or SEA anytime soon. And of course the clock continues to tick down on Rodgers.

First let me say that they could use a #2 ILB before they replace Martinez, but either way it would help coverage.

Second, let me channel tex. Here are the point differentials for those teams:

1. SF - 166
4. NO - 50
5. Seattle - 36
6. Packers - 34

Worried about SF? I get that. Worried about anyone else? No reason. Would you like something else to buck up your courage?

2. Vikings - 77
3. Cowboys - 74

Fritz
12-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Hey All,

Nutzy, glad you're back. Sounds like you guys have a great family and a good time during the football season. Now that your daughter is on the coaching staff, I hope you are showing her the classic clips of Jim Mora and Dennis Green so she knows how to pull off a proper rant when necessary. In addition, you might want to get her some cigars for Christmas so she can really sport the coach look.

texaspackerbacker
12-04-2019, 10:55 AM
First let me say that they could use a #2 ILB before they replace Martinez, but either way it would help coverage.

Second, let me channel tex. Here are the point differentials for those teams:

1. SF - 166
4. NO - 50
5. Seattle - 36
6. Packers - 34

Worried about SF? I get that. Worried about anyone else? No reason. Would you like something else to buck up your courage?

2. Vikings - 77
3. Cowboys - 74

I'm not sure what you are channeling of me - overall positivity? if so, good job, everybody should. Relative lack of worry for anybody other than the Niners? Well yeah, I think we are a better team than the Saints and Seahawks and Vikings, and about equal with the Cowboys. Point differential is a pretty shaky stat - one blow out for or against can really skew the net total.

I generally agreed with Nutz's summary - with one glaring exception: I don't see the negativity about Martinez. I can't see the badness against TEs and in the center of the field in general as primarily his fault. He tackles all over the field; He blitzes when called to do so. My gripe about him is failing sometimes to have gap discipline i.e. guessing wrong and letting big runs happen. That, however, also is not all on him - I tend to think the guessing aspect is part of Pettine's scheme, and there should be Safety help as well as communication with the other ILB (if we had a decent other one) to see that both are not out of position. Pair Martinez with somebody at least borderline decent, and things would get a lot better. Bring in somebody in the D Line roughly like Kenny Clark, and get rid of L and L in there, and things also would seem a lot better.

Zool
12-04-2019, 03:10 PM
Older article, but they still haven't.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/24/cowboys-still-havent-beaten-a-team-with-a-winning-record/

Cowboys are the very definition of mediocrity.

LEWCWA
12-05-2019, 01:48 AM
I'm not sure what you are channeling of me - overall positivity? if so, good job, everybody should. Relative lack of worry for anybody other than the Niners? Well yeah, I think we are a better team than the Saints and Seahawks and Vikings, and about equal with the Cowboys. Point differential is a pretty shaky stat - one blow out for or against can really skew the net total.

I generally agreed with Nutz's summary - with one glaring exception: I don't see the negativity about Martinez. I can't see the badness against TEs and in the center of the field in general as primarily his fault. He tackles all over the field; He blitzes when called to do so. My gripe about him is failing sometimes to have gap discipline i.e. guessing wrong and letting big runs happen. That, however, also is not all on him - I tend to think the guessing aspect is part of Pettine's scheme, and there should be Safety help as well as communication with the other ILB (if we had a decent other one) to see that both are not out of position. Pair Martinez with somebody at least borderline decent, and things would get a lot better. Bring in somebody in the D Line roughly like Kenny Clark, and get rid of L and L in there, and things also would seem a lot better.

Cowboys!!! Now that's funny- The Cowboys are the epitome of overrated! They are what they are a borderline playoff team.

Fritz
12-05-2019, 01:27 PM

Tex, if you are married, you're probably a great husband. Your wife could have boils on her face, baby arms, one leg shorter than the other, and inverted nipples, and you'd still think she's better than some Playboy Playmate of the Month.

Deputy Nutz
01-26-2021, 09:17 AM
Holy Fuck what a year 2020 has been!!!
State of Nutz 2021 addition.

Well the high school football season had very few highs and some of the lowest I have ever experienced. The good part was that we were one of only 44 football teams to complete a full 9 game schedule under the shortened WIAA fall season. The bad part is that we went 4-5 and never really gave ourselves the opportunity to play our best football.

The worst part of the season for our family was when our Freshman son completely blew out his knee on the first kickoff of the season. He was the kicker and instead of being a kicker he ran down the field and planted his right leg coming off a block and the ACL, MCL, and Meniscus were all damaged. He had reconstruction on the ACL and they were able to stitch the Meniscus back together but the rehab and PT has been a long road. He missed basically his entire freshman season. He was the starting QB and MLB for his freshman team and really looking forward to the season. After this the season seriously could have just been over for our family. It was pretty hard to go to practice every day when he was completely braced up and on crutches at home.

Anyways, once the season was over our Varsity defensive coordinator decided to step away from the game for the next couple of years, and I was promoted to Defensive Coordinator. It is a lot of work and I am already feeling the pressure but it has been the position I have set my sights on since beginning this journey. I would have been happy coaching under him for the next few years but it has always been a goal of mine to be a coordinator at the high school level.

So I did my best to really watch the Packers this season as it is quality time that we spend with our best friends. Every week it is a get together with them and during the high school season it is a break on the weekends for me. I don't take it too seriously but I am happy win the Packers win. Listening to Rodgers on the Pat McAfee show has me liking the 37 year old QB more and more. I felt sorry for him this past Sunday as he deserved a chance to tie the game. Yes, he should have scrambled for as many yards as he could have on 3rd down, but oh well. It's weird to think that this is the second QB in in 15 years that we are watching years continue to pass without their franchise doing their best to get them to a Super Bowl.

Anyways, I don't know how much I will be able to post regularly but I always enjoy this time of year on Packerrats as teams look to rebuild through the draft and free agency.

call_me_ishmael
01-26-2021, 10:53 AM
I really like these annual check-ins. Good to hear from you Nutzy and I hope your family is doing well.

I'm really sorry to hear about your son. That is a tough deal. Gotta imagine that has been rough to be a part of. Hopefully he's on the mend now and no long term damage.

Deputy Nutz
01-26-2021, 10:56 AM
I really like these annual check-ins. Good to hear from you Nutzy and I hope your family is doing well.

I'm really sorry to hear about your son. That is a tough deal. Gotta imagine that has been rough to be a part of. Hopefully he's on the mend now and no long term damage.

Thank you, Their should actually be no long term effects since they kept almost all of his meniscus, he did damage the part of the tibia when the ACL let go and the Femur cracked down on it. That may cause some arthritis later in life but by that point in time we should all have removable legs with robotic tracks instead.

RashanGary
01-26-2021, 01:46 PM
Glad you're finding some drive and purpose in football. Congrats on what looks like a pretty cool life.

MadtownPacker
01-26-2021, 02:43 PM
Glad your boy is ok Nutz. You need to stop by to slap these crying hoes here once in a while.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-14-2021, 11:24 AM
S’up , Nutz. Still listening to Pac and showing Remember the Titans to your players?

It’s April. Why are you MIA? You usually come out of hibernation this time of the year for draft chats.

I’d like your opinion on Zach Wilson, the hotshot Mormon QB from BYU. Would you trade Aaron Rodgers to the Jets for 3 1sts (including the #2 pick) and 2 2nds and a 3rd?

texaspackerbacker
04-14-2021, 02:43 PM
Would you, APB?

Fritz
04-15-2021, 09:57 AM
Thank you, Their should actually be no long term effects since they kept almost all of his meniscus, he did damage the part of the tibia when the ACL let go and the Femur cracked down on it. That may cause some arthritis later in life but by that point in time we should all have removable legs with robotic tracks instead.

What the hell kind of kicker is he, Nutz, going down the field to make a tackle and getting injured?

Man, you should have sent him to the JK Scott School of Coverage.

On a serious note, congrats, Nutz, on the defensive coordinator position. Are you still going to post on Packerrats once Green Bay hires you a few years from now to coach the linebackers?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-15-2021, 10:20 AM
Would you, APB?

You would have to tune in to my 2021 My Mastery Mockery of a Draft perceive the answer to that question.

I was too melancholic at this time last year to compose the 2020 edition. For what’s it’s worth, I woulda mocked the Oedipal son of ex-NFL great John Taylor, Jon Taylor, RB, Wisconsin, to the Packers in the 1st.

And in the 7th, QB J-Love. Josh, not Jordan.