CaptainKickass
12-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Two words:

Muhammad Wilkerson

Fritz
12-04-2019, 01:12 PM
Two words:

Muhammad Wilkerson

Interesting idea. I wonder if he could play his way into shape in time for the playoffs?

I keep wishing someone would cut an inside linebacker who can tackle/cover tight ends. Maybe someone overpaid or who missed a team meeting? Maybe Jon Gruden throws a fit in Oakland, or wherever the hell they are now, and cuts someone useful?

Tony Oday
12-04-2019, 03:45 PM
YUP Agreed. We need a fat boy to eat blocks. Look at Ray Lewis, he was considered on the down side when the drafted Ngata, then he was a STUD again.

texaspackerbacker
12-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Good idea if he is healthy.

CaptainKickass
12-04-2019, 04:52 PM
To elaborate -
My understanding about Mo Wilkerson was that his ankle surgery was a success and that he planned to re-sign with GB but that pesky DWI is what likely got in his way. The DWI should have zero relevance however, because - unless I'm mistaken - it happened while he was NOT under any NFL contract. Thus, there should be no pending suspensions if he were to be signed again. I'm pert dern certain that he's a far better DE than Dean "Season Salt" Lowrey and though unspectacular in the handful games he did play, his run stopping ability was still very much in tact. Reports also indicated Packers were open to his return in the off-season.

MadtownPacker
12-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Riverboat Ron!!

Maybe he can get the defense serviceable for the playoffs.

red
12-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Riverboat Ron!!

Maybe he can get the defense serviceable for the playoffs.

I wonder if he would consider going back to being a d-cord after all those years as a HC?

I’d sign him up in a second to be the DC

But unlike players, coaches contracts are full guaranteed. So he doesn’t have to do shit

MadtownPacker
12-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Just for the end of the season. Maybe giving him a consultant title. Tell him it’s an audition for the bears job!

call_me_ishmael
12-07-2019, 11:45 PM
I don't understand, why did Riverboat Ron lose his job? Hasn't he historically been a _very_ good coach for them?

Why do people want the Bear's coach gone after two years when he did so well in year one?

How is Wilkerson unsigned? I'm surprised by that. Surely he is better than Lancaster or at least is a more athletic, mobile body.

pbmax
12-08-2019, 06:43 AM
I don't understand, why did Riverboat Ron lose his job? Hasn't he historically been a _very_ good coach for them?

"During his tenure with the team, Rivera amassed a record of 76-63-1, with a record of 3-4 in the playoffs, including a Super Bowl birth in 2016." Not good enough to survive another bad year (5-7). 3 winning seasons out of 9, the opposite of M3. His offense was often meh even with Newton.

I also suspect that the recent run of mobile QBs thriving in the NFL has made his record on offense look worse by comparison.

But he is good enough that he will be hired very quickly if he chooses. He might get hired by the Giants this year.

Why do people want the Bear's coach gone after two years when he did so well in year one?

Like an offensive coach in GB, he is only going to get so much credit for his work on the D side of the ball. His specialty is offense and his offense has sputtering since about Week 4 of last year. But with a recent uptick by Trubisky, he's probably not going anywhere this year. He probably wasn't going anywhere regardless as the Bears don't throw money out of the window, but the offense looks bad enough that fans want him gone. He also handled the kicker situation last year and this year poorly. Made a spectacle out of one miss.

How is Wilkerson unsigned? I'm surprised by that. Surely he is better than Lancaster or at least is a more athletic, mobile body.

Old and arrested. But yeah, odd he hasn't turned up anywhere. Might not have wanted to with his rehab.

Joemailman
12-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Last year Panthers finished 7-9 after a 6-2 start. This year they're 5-7 after a 5-3 start. That will get you fired when the owner wasn't yet the owner when you were hired. GM could be on shaky ground too.

pbmax
12-08-2019, 07:43 AM
Last year Panthers finished 7-9 after a 6-2 start. This year they're 5-7 after a 5-3 start. That will get you fired when the owner wasn't yet the owner when you were hired. GM could be on shaky ground too.

LaCanfora: while it was always going to be more likely than not that new Panthers owner David Tepper might want to explore what other coaches were available in 2020

Might have given the new owner an excuse. Likely he will regret it inside a decade.

Fritz
12-08-2019, 08:15 AM
Two words:

Muhammad Wilkerson

Jered Veldheer = Bruce Wilkerson

New returner guy = Desmond Howard

Who will be Andre Rison?

CaptainKickass
12-08-2019, 09:00 AM
Jered Veldheer = Bruce Wilkerson

New returner guy = Desmond Howard

Who will be Andre Rison?

It couldn't possibly be Ryan Grant 2.0 playing the role of Andre Rison 2.0... could it?

Seems pretty "meta"

pbmax
12-08-2019, 09:02 AM
It couldn't possibly be Ryan Grant 2.0 playing the role of Andre Rison 2.0... could it?

Seems pretty "meta"

He has to get healthy.

Fritz
12-08-2019, 11:04 AM

Seems pretty "meta"

What we don't need is a reprise of Bernardo Harris, though I think Blake Martinez is already that guy.

Who was the fastest, more sure-tackling inside linebacker the Packers ever had when running a 3-4 defense?

pbmax
12-08-2019, 11:09 AM
What we don't need is a reprise of Bernardo Harris, though I think Blake Martinez is already that guy.

Who was the fastest, more sure-tackling inside linebacker the Packers ever had when running a 3-4 defense?

Nick Barnett or Desmond Bishop.

pbmax
12-08-2019, 11:24 AM
Beckham. Glazer says its not going to end well.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/08/report-odell-tells-players-coaches-on-other-teams-he-wants-out-of-cleveland/

Glazer reported this after a Plain Dealer article (Mary Kay Cabot) clearly indicated OBJ is unhappy. Glazer also had the Beckham trage/leaving NYGiants first. He's been plugged in here previously.

George Cumby
12-08-2019, 01:48 PM
No fucking way.

MadtownPacker
12-08-2019, 02:19 PM
Fuck it. Sign Antonio Brown for the remainder of the seasons. He is begging for a job and will jump for a playoff team.

MadtownPacker
12-08-2019, 02:20 PM
No fucking way.
Yeah unlike brown OBJ is not all that on the field.

red
12-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Fuck it. Sign Antonio Brown for the remainder of the seasons. He is begging for a job and will jump for a playoff team.

tempting, but thats exactly what the patriots tried to do

hoody and brady couldn't get him to drop the crazy. no way a-rod and the kid coach would be able to control him

the theory is sound, but its already failed big time this year when it was tried

there is something very very wrong in browns head. he's not just your average diva WR, he might just be fucking nuts

pbmax
12-08-2019, 03:37 PM
tempting, but thats exactly what the patriots tried to do

hoody and brady couldn't get him to drop the crazy. no way a-rod and the kid coach would be able to control him

the theory is sound, but its already failed big time this year when it was tried

there is something very very wrong in browns head. he's not just your average diva WR, he might just be fucking nuts

Brown under threat of lawsuit, needs the cash. Pay as you go contract. Boom.

MadtownPacker
12-08-2019, 03:56 PM
Brown under threat of lawsuit, needs the cash. Pay as you go contract. Boom.There it is. Treat his ass like a mercenary. I think he can fly straight for a few weeks. He can be the Rison of 2019.

pbmax
12-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Peter Bukowski
Skip Bayless says Odell Beckham has privately suggested he’d like to play in Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers.

OBJ did just sign a huge extension and the Browns just traded for him, but it would cost CLE less than $3M in dead cap to deal him again.

Contract isn’t onerous for GB

pbmax
12-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Now that Bayless is involved, I don’t want him.

texaspackerbacker
12-10-2019, 08:40 PM
Aren't we way past the trade deadline, and therefore, it would take a waiver deal to get him? Even with all his baggage, I doubt he would pass through waivers. I wouldn't mind getting him, though.

esoxx
12-10-2019, 08:49 PM
Aren't we way past the trade deadline, and therefore, it would take a waiver deal to get him? Even with all his baggage, I doubt he would pass through waivers. I wouldn't mind getting him, though.

Trade deadline has passed but there's no one to trade with anyhow since he was waived by Patriots. No one claimed him on waivers so he's essentially a street free agent that can be signed at any time by anyone.

texaspackerbacker
12-10-2019, 09:18 PM
I was referring to Beckham, not Brown. I think pbmax was also in the two posts above mine.

esoxx
12-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Why would anyone be referring to trying to get Beckham in any shape, matter, or form since he's not being waived and can't be traded this season?

Guiness
12-10-2019, 09:35 PM
Beckham. Glazer says its not going to end well.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/08/report-odell-tells-players-coaches-on-other-teams-he-wants-out-of-cleveland/

Glazer reported this after a Plain Dealer article (Mary Kay Cabot) clearly indicated OBJ is unhappy. Glazer also had the Beckham trage/leaving NYGiants first. He's been plugged in here previously.

Both of those guys work as a modern day Andre Rison, Brown more the Bekham I'd wager (due to past troubles, not talent!)

pbmax
12-11-2019, 07:54 AM
Why would anyone be referring to trying to get Beckham in any shape, matter, or form since he's not being waived and can't be traded this season?

Just speculation. Brown could be here this year, Beckham can't unless he is waived.

Although, Beckham might be one of the few who can make a big enough stink to get moved. He has limited control though.

hoosier
12-11-2019, 09:01 AM
I thought Goodell let it be known to potential suitors that AB could be going through the disciplinary protocol at any moment, i.e., a preemptive warning not to sign him this year? Rison was a challenging guy to manage, but Antonio is several laps ahead of him in the head case competition. I wonder if anyone has inquired about his willingness to participate in postmortem CTE studies.

run pMc
12-11-2019, 09:30 AM
I wonder if anyone has inquired about his willingness to participate in postmortem CTE studies.
Why wait until he's dead? He's not using his brain now anyway.

texaspackerbacker
12-11-2019, 09:48 AM

Isn't that what I said several posts back?

pbmax
12-11-2019, 11:42 AM
I thought Goodell let it be known to potential suitors that AB could be going through the disciplinary protocol at any moment, i.e., a preemptive warning not to sign him this year? Rison was a challenging guy to manage, but Antonio is several laps ahead of him in the head case competition. I wonder if anyone has inquired about his willingness to participate in postmortem CTE studies.

I got the sense, but have seen nothing direct, that he might be eligible to come off the ineligible list but could be subjected to discipline based on the pending lawsuit.

bobblehead
12-11-2019, 11:45 AM
Brown under threat of lawsuit, needs the cash. Pay as you go contract. Boom.

Honestly, if they signed him I would stop watching for the remainder of the season.

pbmax
12-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Honestly, if they signed him I would stop watching for the remainder of the season.

The lawsuit is damn troubling.

esoxx
12-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Isn't that what I said several posts back?

I blame pbmax for this.

pbmax
12-11-2019, 03:50 PM
I blame pbmax for this.

I can take it. Just like I could take OBJ on the Packers versus the Vikes.

MadtownPacker
12-12-2019, 12:03 AM
Honestly, if they signed him I would stop watching for the remainder of the season.Shut the hell up cabron!! You would watch and love it.

MadtownPacker
12-12-2019, 12:04 AM
I blame pbmax for this.
Hey now, leave some hate Whitey shit for me!

Fritz
12-12-2019, 10:53 AM

Here's a late-season addition that might inspire Rodgers to play better:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/1f/c6/8b/1fc68b6c1b00325cb4674ec9bc039d4b--green-bay-packers-cheerleaders-green-packers.jpg

pbmax
12-12-2019, 11:04 AM
I am pretty sure people were complaining about Munn during his bad games too. The story then went that he won a Super Bowl without her.

MadtownPacker
12-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Fritz is on the true path.

I was one who thought she might be the problem but she at least got him to the NFCC and didn’t miss the playoffs. But she may have been draining him of protein, which could explain the collarbone injuries. But he was for sure hitting on the deep balls then.

Damn, I have this topic going on two threads. Maybe Radagast is right and I am a demon.

pbmax
12-12-2019, 03:32 PM

I was one who thought she might be the problem but she at least got him to the NFCC and didn’t miss the playoffs. But she may have been draining him of protein, which could explain the collarbone injuries. But he was for sure hitting on the deep balls then.

Damn, I have this topic going on two threads. Maybe Radagast is right and I am a demon.

I think the girl in Fritz’s pic donated calcium to Rodgers by giving up a couple of ribs.

Freak Out
12-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Underboob.

texaspackerbacker
12-13-2019, 10:57 AM
The Giants just cut Janoris "Jackrabbit" Jenkins, a fairly decent Corner. He could be picked up for less than $2 million for the rest of the season. They cut him because he Twittered some kind of slur - I doubt it was the N word, since he's black. He might help our pass coverage a lot down the stretch.

Vincenzo
12-13-2019, 11:11 AM
The Giants just cut Janoris "Jackrabbit" Jenkins, a fairly decent Corner. He could be picked up for less than $2 million for the rest of the season. They cut him because he Twittered some kind of slur - I doubt it was the N word, since he's black. He might help our pass coverage a lot down the stretch.
I’d say yes in a flash but he’s a first class idiot.

pbmax
12-13-2019, 11:41 AM
He's got an ankle injury from the Eagles game.

He called a fan a retard and defended it as slang.

When healthy this season, Jenkins has played well for the most part. Among cornerbacks playing at least 50% of their defensive snaps, Jenkins ranks 12th with an opponent passer rating allowed of 68.9, per Pro Football Focus. He’s allowed 38 receptions on 71 targets for 538 yards, three touchdowns, and four interceptions. All three of those touchdowns allowed came in the Giants’ Week 3 win over the Buccaneers, when Jenkins was absolutely shredded by receiver Mike Evans. Take that game out, and he’s actually been one of the NFL’s best cornerbacks on a really bad defense.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/12/13/giants-were-right-to-cut-cb-janoris-jenkins-after-offensive-twitter-slur/

Zool
12-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Adrian Peterson beat his kid with a stick and blamed it on culture. He's still playing.

Fritz
12-13-2019, 01:03 PM
I’d say yes in a flash but he’s a first class idiot.

The NFL is littered with first-class idiots who help teams to Super Bowls.

Sign him up, then get Rodgers that famous, hot, wealthy, no-gag-reflex girlfriend, and get the team to the NFC Championship with these additions.

Then have Rodgers dump the girlfriend, and the team wins the Super Bowl.

Man, I should be an NFL GM. It's easy!

pbmax
12-13-2019, 02:19 PM
Gregg Rosenthal @greggrosenthal
Terrell Suggs being released is a big surprise. Was impressed how well (and how much) he played overall this year at 37.

hoosier
12-13-2019, 02:45 PM
Why wait until he's dead? He's not using his brain now anyway.

Good one!!!

hoosier
12-13-2019, 02:51 PM
Giants must have been feeling a new wave of heat following Jenkins's post-R-word "apology" because they waited, what, five days after the original offense before cutting him? What was that thread where we were discussing how social media provides an unparalleled forum for self-inflicted wounds and professional suicide?

esoxx
12-13-2019, 03:29 PM
Sign the retard.

Vincenzo
12-13-2019, 04:27 PM
The NFL is littered with first-class idiots who help teams to Super Bowls.

Sign him up, then get Rodgers that famous, hot, wealthy, no-gag-reflex girlfriend, and get the team to the NFC Championship with these additions.

Then have Rodgers dump the girlfriend, and the team wins the Super Bowl.

Man, I should be an NFL GM. It's easy!
Seriously, that sounds great.

red
12-13-2019, 10:31 PM
Sign the retard.

absolutely

i'd do it in a second

Guiness
12-13-2019, 10:54 PM

I wouldn't recommend that last one.

Cabron...I work with a lot of Columbians, not a safe word to use in that kind of company. It has pretty different regional meanings!

call_me_ishmael
12-13-2019, 11:48 PM
He's got an ankle injury from the Eagles game.

He called a fan a retard and defended it as slang.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/12/13/giants-were-right-to-cut-cb-janoris-jenkins-after-offensive-twitter-slur/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sjuBF0-sRE

run pMc
12-16-2019, 10:49 AM
If King and another starter get hurt, their depth is tested. Jenkins is indeed a 1st class idiot (this isn't the first time he's done something stupid) but he still has gas in the tank and could help a team if his head is screwed on right. I don't think Gute would go near him, but Dorsey might.

texaspackerbacker
12-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Injury or no, we could really use an upgrade from Kevin King.

pbmax
12-16-2019, 03:24 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Giants’ CB Janoris Jenkins was claimed on waivers, per source. His new team has not yet been identified, but Jenkins was claimed.

pbmax
12-16-2019, 03:38 PM
Dugar, Michael-Shawn @MikeDugar
Josh Gordon has been suspended indefinitely without pay for violating the NFL policies on performance-enhancing substances and substances of abuse.

Teamcheez1
12-16-2019, 03:45 PM
Suggs was picked up by the Chiefs.

I actually thought the Chiefs or Texans would go after Jenkins.

pbmax
12-16-2019, 03:52 PM

Giants’ CB Janoris Jenkins was claimed on waivers, per source. His new team has not yet been identified, but Jenkins was claimed.

Saints claimed former Giants’ CB Janoris Jenkins on waivers, per source.

What is waiver priority based on? Packers ahead or behind Saints?

Janoris Jenkins’ claim officially is delayed until Tuesday because the Saints play the Colts tonight. But Jenkins officially will become a Saint on Tuesday.

Only the NFL would have waiver claims before the week is over.

Fritz
12-16-2019, 04:13 PM
If the order is based upon this year's record, I think GB is ahead of NO, so NO gets priority.

Gutes can claim he woulda picked Jenkins up but he doesn't have to risk anything other than saying he woulda.

Teamcheez1
12-16-2019, 06:19 PM
If the order is based upon this year's record, I think GB is ahead of NO, so NO gets priority.

Gutes can claim he woulda picked Jenkins up but he doesn't have to risk anything other than saying he woulda.

I think the only teams behind GB right now are NE and Seattle.

pbmax
12-23-2019, 10:25 AM
I am putting this here until the FA/trade thread gets posted for next year.

About the Browns and David Njoku:

The Browns will have to hope better coaching gets Mayfield back on track. Njoku's future with the team is interesting, given that he was drafted before general manager John Dorsey arrived and really hasn't done much yet as a pro. Njoku obviously has considerable upside, but with the Browns leaving him inactive for the past two weeks, would Dorsey consider trading the starting tight end he inherited from Sashi Brown?

run pMc
12-23-2019, 11:28 PM
I am putting this here until the FA/trade thread gets posted for next year.

About the Browns and David Njoku:

Yeah, was it last week half the Brownies WR's were saying "come get me"? I might offer a (very) low pick for Njoku, I haven't really watched CLE much this year so I'm not clear if he's that much better than the cheaper Tonyan/Sternoberger duo. I'd fish around what they'd take for Landry, not knowing the contract details. He's good but not great, and would definitely improve the WR talent.

bobblehead
12-23-2019, 11:57 PM
Raven Greene. That is the late season addition I want healthy.

Fritz
12-24-2019, 06:49 AM
A healthy Raven Greene back on the field would really help the middle of this D. You'll need that in the playoffs.

pbmax
12-24-2019, 07:46 AM
Raven Greene. That is the late season addition I want healthy.

A healthy Raven Greene back on the field would really help the middle of this D. You'll need that in the playoffs.

La Fleur was very non-committal about the whole thing. You'd think he'd need 2 weeks minimum to get up to speed.

If he was IR, he couldn't practice with the team. Does he get a grace period like PUP players?

texaspackerbacker
12-24-2019, 08:58 AM
A healthy Greene would be nice, but either coincidentally or not, the defensive good times returned just about the time Ibrahim Campbell started playing.

Zool
12-24-2019, 03:49 PM
Don’t look now, but first round grade King has shown up the last couple weeks. What an addition that would be if he could continue.

George Cumby
12-24-2019, 05:56 PM
He ain’t TJ Watt but he’s got real potential.

smuggler
12-24-2019, 07:30 PM
Gotta be honest, been pretty impressed with ole Kyler these last few weeks. Sure he doesn't have the 10 sacks, but he's made some solid plays.

pbmax
12-24-2019, 09:13 PM
Gotta be honest, been pretty impressed with ole Kyler these last few weeks. Sure he doesn't have the 10 sacks, but he's made some solid plays.

He's the adjustable wrench of the defense.

beveaux1
12-24-2019, 09:55 PM
With the Smith’s, Clark, Fackrell, and even Gary, we have a very impressive pass rush. They’re already really good, but they could be scary good.

texaspackerbacker
12-25-2019, 01:04 AM
Even optimist that I am, I sort of disagree that King has been all that good. He stumbled into his interception by not having any receiver go out on his side and having the good sense to drop back and play like a Safety. Even the last couple weeks, it seems like he has gotten beat more often than not - the great pass rush has just baled him out. I wonder if he might not be better suited to play Safety or maybe Tramon's Slot Corner spot. It doesn't seem like he can cover good WRs one on one deep.

Fritz
12-25-2019, 06:27 AM

I agree. He's been in the right place and made some plays the others can't - like smothering that screen pass in Minny. He's no star but a nice complementary piece.

texaspackerbacker
12-25-2019, 07:58 AM
Stopping that screen pass was a smart play. I like the fact that they are using him sometimes as a second ILB. That position is used so rarely, and Goodson is mostly worthless. Rather than draft somebody at ILB, I hope they commit to using Fackrell there as needed, and just Martinez most of the time.

Fritz
12-25-2019, 12:05 PM
Stopping that screen pass was a smart play. I like the fact that they are using him sometimes as a second ILB. That position is used so rarely, and Goodson is mostly worthless. Rather than draft somebody at ILB, I hope they commit to using Fackrell there as needed, and just Martinez most of the time.

This season is getting really freaky. First Tex might be right about his annual 13 - 3 prediction, and now I'm agreeing with his post.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-26-2019, 10:40 AM

Martinez gets everyone lined up correctly but he's awful in coverage and average at best against the run. In other words, a Hawk clone. Only reason no one other than Wist bitches about Martinez, he was a 4th rounder (whereas Hawk was drafted over Randy Moss' kryptonite, the great Mike Huff).

If the German Shepherd doesn't sign a MOFO ILB in free agency or trade for Jaylon Smith, he should definitely draft a hotshot ILB, preferably one with speed.

pbmax
12-26-2019, 12:17 PM
Martinez gets everyone lined up correctly but he's awful in coverage and average at best against the run. In other words, a Hawk clone. Only reason no one other than Wist bitches about Martinez, he was a 4th rounder (whereas Hawk was drafted over Randy Moss' kryptonite, the great Mike Huff).

If the German Shepherd doesn't sign a MOFO ILB in free agency or trade for Jaylon Smith, he should definitely draft a hotshot ILB, preferably one with speed.

I wouldn't hold my breath. They just don't regard a 3 down ILB as worth an all out frenzy as they would a QB or pass rusher.

If they go for someone, I expect them to chase a guy who can fly and cover.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-26-2019, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath. They just don't regard a 3 down ILB as worth an all out frenzy as they would a QB or pass rusher.

Regardless, Martinez is arguably the weakest link on the D. He just doesn't have the kung fu to cover. And the NFL is an air raid paradise. Packers need an upgrade at the Mike.

Sherman drafted Nick Barnett at 29. Maybe Gutekunst could find another Barnett. 2020 free agent class at ILB looks like its gonna be full of greying Hardy Nickersons.

Zool
12-26-2019, 03:50 PM
Regardless, Martinez is arguably the weakest link on the D. He just doesn't have the kung fu to cover. And the NFL is an air raid paradise. Packers need an upgrade at the Mike.

Sherman drafted Nick Barnett at 29. Maybe Gutekunst could find another Barnett. 2020 free agent class at ILB looks like its gonna be full of greying Hardy Nickersons.

Barnett was the same player as Martinez. Drag down tackles and trailing backs and TEs.

Try again.

run pMc
12-26-2019, 04:35 PM

I don't know who would be available, but I agree they need someone who can cover RBs and TEs and generally patrol the middle of the field where teams have hurt GB. Ibraheim Campbell and Raven Greene might be able to do most of it, but I suspect they'd rather have a 230-240 pound ILB in there to be stouter vs. the run. Plus it would help Pettine disguise his defense.

Martinez is ok -- he's decent against the run, and can sometimes cover but he won't make a living doing it. Smart, reliable, healthy... yeah, he's Hawk v.2.0 but he's better than Goodson or Burks.

texaspackerbacker
12-26-2019, 05:18 PM

I don't have the same negativity about Martinez that I always had about Hawk. Part of that is Hawk being drafted so high, but part of it is better performance IMO by Martinez too.

I say again, we really don't need to invest in a second ILB. We don't use the position that much, and for what we do, Fackrell has looked good at times, Campbell or another D Back there works good, etc.

pbmax
12-27-2019, 08:29 AM
Barnett was the same player as Martinez. Drag down tackles and trailing backs and TEs.

Try again.

Never seemed happy with it, but in retrospect, was Barnett the best cover ILB they have had in the last decade?

There are so few who can do it. Almost seems more logical to find a safety to do it.

ThunderDan
12-27-2019, 08:50 AM
Never seemed happy with it, but in retrospect, was Barnett the best cover ILB they have had in the last decade?

There are so few who can do it. Almost seems more logical to find a safety to do it.

No Barnett wasn't. But only for technical reasons. Nick Barnett only played 4 games for the Packers in the '10s.

pbmax
12-27-2019, 09:00 AM
No Barnett wasn't. But only for technical reasons. Nick Barnett only played 4 games for the Packers in the '10s.

Technically, I think I get the 2009 playoffs don't I? December 27, 2019 ...

Rk Player Pos Age Date Lg Tm Opp Result G# Week Day
1 Nick Barnett MLB 28.109 2009-09-13 NFL GNB CHI W 21-15 1 1 Sun
2 Nick Barnett MLB 28.116 2009-09-20 NFL GNB CIN L 24-31 2 2 Sun
3 Nick Barnett MLB 28.123 2009-09-27 NFL GNB STL W 36-17 3 3 Sun
4 Nick Barnett MLB 28.131 2009-10-05 NFL GNB MIN L 23-30 4 4 Mon
5 Nick Barnett MLB 28.144 2009-10-18 NFL GNB DET W 26-0 5 6 Sun
6 Nick Barnett MLB 28.151 2009-10-25 NFL GNB CLE W 31-3 6 7 Sun
7 Nick Barnett MLB 28.158 2009-11-01 NFL GNB MIN L 26-38 7 8 Sun
8 Nick Barnett MLB 28.165 2009-11-08 NFL GNB TAM L 28-38 8 9 Sun
9 Nick Barnett MLB 28.172 2009-11-15 NFL GNB DAL W 17-7 9 10 Sun
10 Nick Barnett MLB 28.179 2009-11-22 NFL GNB SFO W 30-24 10 11 Sun
11 Nick Barnett MLB 28.183 2009-11-26 NFL GNB DET W 34-12 11 12 Thu
12 Nick Barnett MLB 28.194 2009-12-07 NFL GNB BAL W 27-14 12 13 Mon
13 Nick Barnett MLB 28.200 2009-12-13 NFL GNB CHI W 21-14 13 14 Sun
14 Nick Barnett MLB 28.207 2009-12-20 NFL GNB PIT L 36-37 14 15 Sun
15 Nick Barnett MLB 28.214 2009-12-27 NFL GNB SEA W 48-10 15 16 Sun
16 Nick Barnett MLB 28.221 2010-01-03 NFL GNB ARI W 33-7 16 17 Sun
17 Nick Barnett LB 29.108 2010-09-12 NFL GNB PHI W 27-20 1 1 Sun
18 Nick Barnett MLB 29.115 2010-09-19 NFL GNB BUF W 34-7 2 2 Sun
19 Nick Barnett MLB 29.123 2010-09-27 NFL GNB CHI L 17-20 3 3 Mon
20 Nick Barnett MLB 29.129 2010-10-03 NFL GNB DET W 28-26 4 4 Sun

Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com (https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool): View Original Table (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&player_id_hint=Nick+Barnett&player_id_select=Nick+Barnett&player_id=BarnNi20&idx=players&year_min=2009&year_max=2010&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos%5B%5D=QB&pos%5B%5D=WR&pos%5B%5D=RB&pos%5B%5D=TE&pos%5B%5D=OL&pos%5B%5D=DL&pos%5B%5D=LB&pos%5B%5D=DB&is_starter=Y&game_type=R&career_game_num_min=1&career_game_num_max=400&qb_start_num_min=1&qb_start_num_max=400&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&c5val=1.0&order_by=age&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#results)
Generated 12/27/2019.

pbmax
12-27-2019, 09:01 AM
Either way, this holds.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/909/991/48c.jpg

Zool
12-27-2019, 09:40 AM

He was about the same as everyone else. They couldn't cover a TE back in the Barnett days either. They haven't protected the middle of the field since Koonce.

ThunderDan
12-27-2019, 10:23 AM
Technically, I think I get the 2009 playoffs don't I? December 27, 2019 ...

Rk Player Pos Age Date Lg Tm Opp Result G# Week Day
1 Nick Barnett MLB 28.109 2009-09-13 NFL GNB CHI W 21-15 1 1 Sun
2 Nick Barnett MLB 28.116 2009-09-20 NFL GNB CIN L 24-31 2 2 Sun
3 Nick Barnett MLB 28.123 2009-09-27 NFL GNB STL W 36-17 3 3 Sun
4 Nick Barnett MLB 28.131 2009-10-05 NFL GNB MIN L 23-30 4 4 Mon
5 Nick Barnett MLB 28.144 2009-10-18 NFL GNB DET W 26-0 5 6 Sun
6 Nick Barnett MLB 28.151 2009-10-25 NFL GNB CLE W 31-3 6 7 Sun
7 Nick Barnett MLB 28.158 2009-11-01 NFL GNB MIN L 26-38 7 8 Sun
8 Nick Barnett MLB 28.165 2009-11-08 NFL GNB TAM L 28-38 8 9 Sun
9 Nick Barnett MLB 28.172 2009-11-15 NFL GNB DAL W 17-7 9 10 Sun
10 Nick Barnett MLB 28.179 2009-11-22 NFL GNB SFO W 30-24 10 11 Sun
11 Nick Barnett MLB 28.183 2009-11-26 NFL GNB DET W 34-12 11 12 Thu
12 Nick Barnett MLB 28.194 2009-12-07 NFL GNB BAL W 27-14 12 13 Mon
13 Nick Barnett MLB 28.200 2009-12-13 NFL GNB CHI W 21-14 13 14 Sun
14 Nick Barnett MLB 28.207 2009-12-20 NFL GNB PIT L 36-37 14 15 Sun
15 Nick Barnett MLB 28.214 2009-12-27 NFL GNB SEA W 48-10 15 16 Sun
16 Nick Barnett MLB 28.221 2010-01-03 NFL GNB ARI W 33-7 16 17 Sun
17 Nick Barnett LB 29.108 2010-09-12 NFL GNB PHI W 27-20 1 1 Sun
18 Nick Barnett MLB 29.115 2010-09-19 NFL GNB BUF W 34-7 2 2 Sun
19 Nick Barnett MLB 29.123 2010-09-27 NFL GNB CHI L 17-20 3 3 Mon
20 Nick Barnett MLB 29.129 2010-10-03 NFL GNB DET W 28-26 4 4 Sun

Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com (https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool): View Original Table (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&player_id_hint=Nick+Barnett&player_id_select=Nick+Barnett&player_id=BarnNi20&idx=players&year_min=2009&year_max=2010&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos%5B%5D=QB&pos%5B%5D=WR&pos%5B%5D=RB&pos%5B%5D=TE&pos%5B%5D=OL&pos%5B%5D=DL&pos%5B%5D=LB&pos%5B%5D=DB&is_starter=Y&game_type=R&career_game_num_min=1&career_game_num_max=400&qb_start_num_min=1&qb_start_num_max=400&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&c5val=1.0&order_by=age&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#results)
Generated 12/27/2019.
You only get that game today. Tomorrow it definitely doesn't count.

pbmax
12-27-2019, 01:42 PM
He was about the same as everyone else. They couldn't cover a TE back in the Barnett days either. They haven't protected the middle of the field since Koonce.

Neither Koonce nor Harris could cover Jay Novacek. Butler had to do it. I think this complaint is as old as football.

There is always a mismatch if you can run or pass out of a formation.

George Cumby
12-27-2019, 02:01 PM
^ IIRC Koonce was a solid banger but not exactly fleet of foot.

Zool
12-27-2019, 07:29 PM
Yeah but he used to hit people who crossed the middle.

Patler
12-27-2019, 08:46 PM
The last decent coverage linebacker they had was Brandon Chiller,who replaced Hawk in passing situations in 2009-10.

pbmax
12-28-2019, 08:38 AM
The last decent coverage linebacker they had was Brandon Chiller,who replaced Hawk in passing situations in 2009-10.

Could be, that guy could move. But I remember even Chillar getting bested by TE on seam routes.

The only linebackers capable of this were Jack Ham and Hardy Nickerson and they were in a zone. I bet Gronk would toast them both.

What is needed is improvement, not domination. Improvement should be available I'd think.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-28-2019, 08:40 AM
Barnett couldn't hold Urlacher's jockstrap. However, compared to the wankers at ILB that Todd and German Shepherd drafted - Hawk, Martinez, Bishop, Torrance Marshall, DJ Smith, Jake Ryan, Brad Fucking Jones, to name a few - Barnett looked like Urlacher.

No doubt, Barnett was the best WHITE MLB/ILB to don the Green and Gold since Nitschke. No wonder Sherman never missed the playoffs as GM.

pbmax
12-28-2019, 08:58 AM
Barnett couldn't hold Urlacher's jockstrap. However, compared to the wankers at ILB that Todd and German Shepherd drafted - Hawk, Martinez, Bishop, Torrance Marshall, DJ Smith, Jake Ryan, Brad Fucking Jones, to name a few - Barnett looked like Urlacher.

No doubt, Barnett was the best WHITE MLB/ILB to don the Green and Gold since Nitschke. No wonder Sherman never missed the playoffs as GM.

If he had broke out this for the offense, might have won a Superb Owl:

Two Punter Formation (https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/26/17782816/hawaii-two-punter-formation)

George Cumby
12-28-2019, 09:12 AM

Nope.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-28-2019, 09:51 AM
If he had broke out this for the offense, might have won a Superb Owl:

Two Punter Formation (https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/26/17782816/hawaii-two-punter-formation)

Sander's strength coming out of the OSU was supposedly punting in bad weather. Wisconsin is cold, but you have to go back to the last Ice Age to find snow in August in the state.

Sherman kept Sander on the roster for the cold, harsh days of December. Unfortunately, Sander proved to be a fraud. At least the Packers made the playoffs that season.

Fritz
12-28-2019, 04:53 PM
John LeClune from the Saints' practice squad would surely put this team over the top.

pbmax
12-28-2019, 07:35 PM
Sander's strength coming out of the OSU was supposedly punting in bad weather. Wisconsin is cold, but you have to go back to the last Ice Age to find snow in August in the state.

Sherman kept Sander on the roster for the cold, harsh days of December. Unfortunately, Sander proved to be a fraud. At least the Packers made the playoffs that season.

Ah, the old bad weather punter. I'm sure that was it. Other teams would have been quick to snatch him up.

George Cumby
12-28-2019, 07:58 PM
Ah, the old bad weather punter. I'm sure that was it. Other teams would have been quick to snatch him up.

Well he went on to have a long, illustrious career in the NFL, did he not?

esoxx
12-28-2019, 08:31 PM
I mean, who doesn't trade up in to the third round to get a situational punter?

pbmax
12-28-2019, 11:11 PM
John LeClune from the Saints' practice squad would surely put this team over the top.

He’s 1-0.

CaptainKickass
12-28-2019, 11:25 PM
Still think Mo might've contributed. But apparently Tony Brown has been released leaving an open roster spot for.....????

George Cumby
12-29-2019, 04:07 PM
Man, Martinez looked like Urlacher out there today.

Teamcheez1
12-29-2019, 04:08 PM

Urlacher running in cement galoshes.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-29-2019, 04:30 PM

I didn't know Urlacher was an abomination at shedding blocks and stonewalling HB "guts".

See Lions' last drive prior to the half for examples.

MadtownPacker
12-29-2019, 04:43 PM
Man, Martinez looked like Urlacher out there today.Looks like the drinkin started early at the Shire!

Bretsky
12-29-2019, 05:48 PM
https://clutchpoints.com/what-if-the-green-bay-packers-had-drafted-tyreek-hill-in-the-2016-nfl-draft/?fbclid=IwAR0zVIeXsfP0gjxb3TWjgIgSkvU1kJZusIxO1t01 B354BU7XoEzRqD6gYaw

THIS would have helped

Bretsky
12-29-2019, 05:49 PM
TAYSON HILL....might help :) Jimmyh Graham, or Taysom Hill at TE ????

pbmax
12-29-2019, 06:02 PM
https://clutchpoints.com/what-if-the-green-bay-packers-had-drafted-tyreek-hill-in-the-2016-nfl-draft/?fbclid=IwAR0zVIeXsfP0gjxb3TWjgIgSkvU1kJZusIxO1t01 B354BU7XoEzRqD6gYaw

THIS would have helped

Rather not have a child beater on the team.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 06:02 PM
TAYSON HILL....might help :) Jimmyh Graham, or Taysom Hill at TE ????

As a TE, I can see value for Hill.

Teamcheez1
12-29-2019, 06:03 PM
As a TE, I can see value for Hill.

it wouldn't be difficult to outplay all the TE's on our current roster.

George Cumby
12-29-2019, 06:40 PM

I was attempting irony here. Had I said "Barnett" instead of Urlacker, it might have been more apparent.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 07:12 PM
I was attempting irony here. Had I said "Barnett" instead of Urlacker, it might have been more apparent.

Started out good with the TFL. And then, well, he was OK.

George Cumby
12-29-2019, 07:15 PM
1 TFL
1 Sack
1 Int

That's a good day.