PDA

View Full Version : Never too early 2020 NFL Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

GB-Brandon
04-12-2020, 08:38 PM
Mims - think the sky's the limit for this kid. Fast, quick. Didn't have great QB play, and that held him back some. Love his route running, high points the ball. No concern about playing outside.

Reagor - like his quickness in and out of his cuts. Kick returner. Explosive player.

Jefferson - great college production, mostly out of the slot. Can he play outside?? Ran well at the combine, but not sure he can win outside, which is why I have him below Mims and Reagor.

Higgins - little bit high cut. Not great speed. High points ball well, good route runner.

Aiyuk - he's raw, very limited route tree. Like his upside though. There are other players I like at pick 62 that I'd rather go with though. If he drops to the 3rd, then yes.

Shenault - not sure what to make of him. Not overly impressed with his tape. They used him him in a variety of ways. Looks more like a RB.

Of these guys who do you think is the one that is best at beating “press coverage”?

I agree with Shenault. Feels like Ty Montgomery all over again.

GB-Brandon
04-12-2020, 08:44 PM
Do you have anymore info on Hunt?? As I said, I wasn't aware he was injured.

It was apparently a normal procedure groin surgery.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2020, 10:11 PM
Do you have anymore info on Hunt?? As I said, I wasn't aware he was injured.

Only played 7 games his senior year, missed the Senior Bowl and Combine tests due to a torn groin muscle that required surgery. I assume it's 100% recoverable, I just don't like to year about surgery for a torn groin or hamstring. He projects mainly as an interior lineman as his footwork seems to be his one negative

Niang had hip surgery after his junior year which impacted his play as a senior.

GB-Brandon
04-12-2020, 10:50 PM
With this pandemic going on it’s gonna be real hard for all these guys with medicals to check out. Maybe we can get Niang in the 3rd or 4th even. Have to believe some of these guys with medicals are gonna drop with GM’s and Scouts having to rely on limited or second hand knowledge.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2020, 11:01 PM
To be honest, I sort of like laviska shenault. I went back and watched a couple of films of his tonight. He plays a heck of a lot faster than his 4.58 forty at the combine, he is extra physical and his acceleration off the snap is top three or four in this draft. When the question is asked about who is the best at beating press coverage? Shenault is probably one of the answers to that question. I don't see a lot of issues with his route running ability, but what I will say is a big issue is that he doesn't come down with the deep ball very often, although he does draw pass interference penalties quite often. I don't know if he is valued as a first rounder, but he is certainly worth the Packers 2nd round pick. He won't drop that far.

GB-Brandon
04-13-2020, 12:02 AM
Shenault is a tough one for sure. I’ve been hot and cold with him the whole way. Has really good tape but as posted doesn’t appear to be a great vertical threat or tracking balls downfield. Looks to be a bigger version of Randall Cobb but so was Ty Montgomery. Now I believe Shenault will be better then Montgomery but the injury thing concerns me. I watch a lot of college football and actually quite a few of his games and he just always seemed to get nicked up and injured. If that was the narrative of him playing in the Pac 12 then I’m not sure I want to be a fan experiencing what an NFL schedule would look like with him.

I would also say pass in 1st round but all the way at the back of the second would make it hard not to take a chance on him. I believe someone will over-draft him.

Speaking of Randall Cobb, I see a lot of similarities in James Porche(SMU). If Gute goes crazy on defense early and often this a guy that could be a sleeper in round 5-6 if the Packers continue to build there receiving Corp in those rounds. Some believe he has the best hands in the draft. He looks good after the catch and projects to the slot at the next level. CBS sports compares him to Antonio Brown. I enjoyed watching him play the last two years at SMU. He is another guy that might be worth taking a flier on day 3 if the slot position hasn’t been addressed yet.

https://youtu.be/sGOua03RQgg

pbmax
04-13-2020, 08:04 AM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2

#Packers met multiple times with Alabama edge rusher Terrell Lewis at the combine, and he told @peter_king that he's officially met with the Packers over Zoom. A lot of interest there

pbmax
04-13-2020, 08:21 AM
Peter King, with the second Irving Fryar reference I have read in a week. That's how strange all this is: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/13/nfl-draft-rumors-coronavirus-life-peter-king/

1. CINCINNATI. So there’s little chance the Bengals will trade out of this pick. LSU’s Joe Burrow makes too much sense for the long-term best interests of the franchise. But Cincinnati trading out of the top spot is not unprecedented for the Brown family. After Steve Young signed with the USFL’s L.A. Express in March 1984, they Bengals dealt the top overall pick to New England. The Pats dealt first, first, fifth and 10th-round picks (that’s how long ago it was; there were 12 rounds in ’84) to be able to snag wideout Irving Fryar first overall. The Bengals got shafted, essentially; they picked a pretty good guard (Brian Blados) and got nothing else of substance out of the deal. But the Bengals never would have made the trade had Young been there for them. With Burrow, an Ohioan, on the board, the Bengals should probably sit and take him.

run pMc
04-13-2020, 08:26 AM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2

#Packers met multiple times with Alabama edge rusher Terrell Lewis at the combine, and he told @peter_king that he's officially met with the Packers over Zoom. A lot of interest there

Smokescreen? Trade down to R2 and target? I don't see them taking him in R1 (where I've seen him in some mocks). Seems like they have other pressing needs in areas with good draft depth, but if they are convinced he's a future Pro Bowl pass rusher you take him. Those guys are gold.

pbmax
04-13-2020, 09:06 AM
King:

Alabama linebacker Terrell Lewis with grandmother Pinky in Maryland. (NBC Sports)
“I work out once or twice a day, talk to a bunch of teams, watch TV. Killing time. Same old same old. Today I went to get some food after my workout, and they were really paranoid there about how I ordered the food. I went to hand them the menu and they said, ‘Just put it down.’ Crazy. But I understand—being really careful with this virus.

“I’ve been mostly using Zoom to have meetings with some teams. Green Bay, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Tennessee, Detroit. That’s been completely weird. I talked to one team with my shirt off, looking kind of rough. I need a haircut. Today, I talked to coach [Matt] Patricia and the staff with the Lions. On those calls, we talk ball, their scheme, watch film, talk about my upbringing, my journey at Alabama, how I fit in their team, what I’m doing with my money to make sure I take care of it. We get to know each other a little bit. I want to make them feel comfortable with me as a person.

pbmax
04-13-2020, 09:08 AM
Smokescreen? Trade down to R2 and target? I don't see them taking him in R1 (where I've seen him in some mocks). Seems like they have other pressing needs in areas with good draft depth, but if they are convinced he's a future Pro Bowl pass rusher you take him. Those guys are gold.

If past is prologue, they don't take a WR or ILB in Round 1. I think its trade down or the usual EDGE, DL, OL or CB.

Could change if they truly believe a WR or ILB is worth the first and someone drops.

wist43
04-13-2020, 09:47 AM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2

Definitely don't want Lewis... he's not necessarily on my do not draft list, but he's close.

wist43
04-13-2020, 09:49 AM
I like Darrell Taylor a lot more than Lewis.

Deputy Nutz
04-13-2020, 09:54 AM
KJ Hamler is your guy if you want elite level quickness and route running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3S-Tc3eaBw

GB-Brandon
04-13-2020, 12:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3S-Tc3eaBw

I would be totally fine taking Hamler in 2nd if they use the 1st round pick to take the best DT/DE available in 1st that they really like. All we have to do is rewind the SF tape to realize it’s a huge need.

Also this Reggie Begelton is getting some buzz around Green Bay.

http://www.nflanalysis.net/exclusive-interview-with-green-bay-packers-wr-reggie-begelton/

Maybe getting Hamler in 2nd and one of Q.Watkins or Q. Cephus or Bryan Edwards in 4th Round depending on still who is on board could do the job.

texaspackerbacker
04-13-2020, 01:29 PM
If Begelton plays as good as he talks, he might have a chance.

pbmax
04-13-2020, 01:35 PM
Dane Brugler Total Mock: https://theathletic.com/1736730/2020/04/13/2020-mock-draft-5-0-all-seven-rounds-and-255-picks/

Green Bay Packers
1 (30) WR Justin Jefferson, LSU
2 (62) OT Ben Bartch, St. John’s (Minn.)
3 (94) TE Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri
4 (136) LB Justin Strnad, Wake Forest
5 (175) CB A.J. Green, Oklahoma State
6 (192) RB Lamical Perine, Florida
6 (208) DL Robert Windsor, Penn State
6 (209) DS Daniel Thomas, Auburn
7 (236) WR Quartney Davis, Texas A&M
7 (242) OG/C Calvin Throckmorton, Oregon

Few collegiate resumes are as impressive as Throckmorton’s. A four-year starter, he started 52 straight games for the Ducks at four positions (everywhere on the line except left guard), allowing only one sack over his final 45 starts in college.

Freak Out
04-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Dane Brugler Total Mock: https://theathletic.com/1736730/2020/04/13/2020-mock-draft-5-0-all-seven-rounds-and-255-picks/

Green Bay Packers
1 (30) WR Justin Jefferson, LSU
2 (62) OT Ben Bartch, St. John’s (Minn.)
3 (94) TE Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri
4 (136) LB Justin Strnad, Wake Forest
5 (175) CB A.J. Green, Oklahoma State
6 (192) RB Lamical Perine, Florida
6 (208) DL Robert Windsor, Penn State
6 (209) DS Daniel Thomas, Auburn
7 (236) WR Quartney Davis, Texas A&M
7 (242) OG/C Calvin Throckmorton, Oregon

Few collegiate resumes are as impressive as Throckmorton’s. A four-year starter, he started 52 straight games for the Ducks at four positions (everywhere on the line except left guard), allowing only one sack over his final 45 starts in college.

That would be nice.

run pMc
04-13-2020, 02:31 PM
That would be nice.

Agree. That would be a decent draft.

Yes, but I worry about his size and hands. He has a high drop percentage, and little receivers don't stay healthy very long in the NFL. Gute's propensity for big WRs makes drafting a 5'9" guy unlikely.

pbmax
04-13-2020, 03:19 PM
Is Lamical Perin related to Sam Perine from a few years ago?

GB-Brandon
04-13-2020, 03:37 PM
I’d rather see them potentially trade back from 30 a few spots and then consolidate all those late round picks to move back up into the top 175 and get the most bites of the Apple in that range as possible. Probably be able to come away with 6-7 really good picks.

The only player i would be interested in trading up for in the 1st round is Kinlaw and that’s if he somehow makes it down somewhere in the 20’s.

GB-Brandon
04-13-2020, 04:32 PM
Agree. That would be a decent draft.

Yes, but I worry about his size and hands. He has a high drop percentage, and little receivers don't stay healthy very long in the NFL. Gute's propensity for big WRs makes drafting a 5'9" guy unlikely.

Well he drafted a corner under 6’0(which the Packers never did) and it worked out pretty well I’d say.

I’ve always been for the bigger bodied receivers myself but the game has changed and not having guys that can beat press coverage or win one on one has to change.

hoosier
04-13-2020, 08:47 PM
If past is prologue, they don't take a WR or ILB in Round 1. I think its trade down or the usual EDGE, DL, OL or CB.

Could change if they truly believe a WR or ILB is worth the first and someone drops.

If past is prologue, Gute does something different this time around :-)

Bretsky
04-14-2020, 04:11 AM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/04/13/patrick-queen-gives-green-bay-packers-shot-another-lsu-linebacker-sky-high-ceiling/2928594001/

wist43
04-14-2020, 07:45 AM
I like Queen a lot, but I'd be shocked if they take Queen at 30... assuming he were even there.

Players I like that I expect to be gone are Queen, Murray, and Mims. The OT's will be gone... if they want Bartch, I suspect they may have to trade up from 62.

Reagor will probably be there, maybe Blacklock too.

Fairly deep draft at the top... not a lot to seperate players 25-75. Trade down might be in order.

Don't want Lewis there. I like Jefferson, but would want to trade down - not sure he can play outside.

run pMc
04-14-2020, 07:48 AM
Is Lamical Perin related to Sam Perine from a few years ago?

Younger brother I believe.

texaspackerbacker
04-14-2020, 08:06 AM
They won't take Lewis or another edge rusher unless they've completely given up on Gary, which I really doubt. Besides, Alabama players tend to look better than they are - the system or whatever.

They better not take an O Lineman in the first round - too many fail.

They probably can get an excellent WR in the second or third round. The only one I'd even consider is Reagor. I don't want Jefferson or anybody else who ain't burner fast.

Blacklock would be good if he's there at 30. No other D Lineman seems good enough for our #1.

We definitely should not use a first or second round pick for an ILB because of Pettine's style of D.

I hate it when we trade down, but it might not be a bad move. It wouldn't bother me if they took Jonathan Taylor at 30 or maybe after a slight trade down. I absolutely wouldn't take any other RB before the late rounds.

pbmax
04-14-2020, 10:38 AM
Well he drafted a corner under 6’0(which the Packers never did) and it worked out pretty well I’d say.

I’ve always been for the bigger bodied receivers myself but the game has changed and not having guys that can beat press coverage or win one on one has to change.

The cutoff was Terrell Buckley and it was 5-10 or -11. Either way it was a poor benchmark.

EDIT: I think I recall Wolf saying they broke the rule for Buckley and then vowed never to do it again. I think Buckley was a shade under 5' 10" (wikipedia has him at 5.10).

EDIT 2: http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/202039891.html/

McGinn listed him at 5' 9"

EDIT 3: Did anyone else know that Scot McCloughan's father was Kent McCloughan, the Raider CB and one of the prototypes for 6 foot tall CBs (also Lester Hayes, Mike Haynes, Willie Brown and Skip Thomas)

Lester Hayes is listed as being 6' 2" I don't remember him being that big.

GB-Brandon
04-14-2020, 12:20 PM
The cutoff was Terrell Buckley and it was 5-10 or -11. Either way it was a poor benchmark.

EDIT: I think I recall Wolf saying they broke the rule for Buckley and then vowed never to do it again. I think Buckley was a shade under 5' 10" (wikipedia has him at 5.10).

EDIT 2: http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/202039891.html/

McGinn listed him at 5' 9"

EDIT 3: Did anyone else know that Scot McCloughan's father was Kent McCloughan, the Raider CB and one of the prototypes for 6 foot tall CBs (also Lester Hayes, Mike Haynes, Willie Brown and Skip Thomas)

Lester Hayes is listed as being 6' 2" I don't remember him being that big.

My main point I was trying to make here is the Packers best corners the past decade were/are J. Alexander 5’10, T. Williams 5’11 and Sam Shields 5’10. Two of these guys weren’t even drafted and were UDFA’s so the “benchmark” is a fraud based on their cumulative production. Yes, it’s nice to get bigger and faster players who might be more durable but making that a requirement I just think hinders your ability to field the best roster possible.

Now as far as Hamler we’re getting all the way down to 5’9 175lbs. IMO, he is a faster and more explosive version of Tyler Lockett and draws parallels to “Hollywood Brown” who was picked by the Ravens last year rather early. Yes, this would be unprecedented for the Packers to use a top 64 pick on a receiver of this stature so I can understand some push back. It’s a tough call but if the Packers lose out on Reagor and They believe Hamler will make this offense more explosive and better overall they should absolutely not pass him up due too his measurables.

GB-Brandon
04-14-2020, 12:32 PM
They won't take Lewis or another edge rusher unless they've completely given up on Gary, which I really doubt. Besides, Alabama players tend to look better than they are - the system or whatever.

They better not take an O Lineman in the first round - too many fail.

They probably can get an excellent WR in the second or third round. The only one I'd even consider is Reagor. I don't want Jefferson or anybody else who ain't burner fast.

Blacklock would be good if he's there at 30. No other D Lineman seems good enough for our #1.

We definitely should not use a first or second round pick for an ILB because of Pettine's style of D.

I hate it when we trade down, but it might not be a bad move. It wouldn't bother me if they took Jonathan Taylor at 30 or maybe after a slight trade down. I absolutely wouldn't take any other RB before the late rounds.

I couldn’t agree more. He has two elite edge rushers along with an Elite DT upfront. He also has one of the most talented secondary’s in the the entire league. He has a top 12 talent to develop. The $ and resources given to him have been 1st rate. He needs to take what has been given to him and scheme a unit that can compete. If he can’t accomplish that with everything he has been given then we have the wrong man for the job.

Mentally picturing him even sitting in the draft room bandstanding for more top tier talent is a pathetic visual.

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2020, 02:59 PM
There you go getting carried away about the Packers secondary. They are no where near elite.

AJ Epenesa has been dropping due to his poor combine. He was once promoted as a sure fire top 15 pick. He is 6'6" 280 pounds and what would you think of him as the Packers' first round draft pick? He is a very solid pass rusher and would look good in the Packers nickel and dime schemes getting after the passer.

GB-Brandon
04-14-2020, 04:10 PM
There you go getting carried away about the Packers secondary. They are no where near elite.

AJ Epenesa has been dropping due to his poor combine. He was once promoted as a sure fire top 15 pick. He is 6'6" 280 pounds and what would you think of him as the Packers' first round draft pick? He is a very solid pass rusher and would look good in the Packers nickel and dime schemes getting after the passer.

I said “One of the most Talented” and I stand by that.

Alexander- Top Pick and Pro Bowl level corner

Amos- Top 5 safety with a combined PFF rating over 80 last 4 years.

Savage- All-Rookie honors and they traded up in 1st to get him.

King- Top pick with elite size/speed combo who has dealt with injuries. Many thought he would be the next Richard Sherman.

I didn’t endorse any of these moves except Alexander. However, the fact is combined they are very talented and fast and athletic. I wasn’t on this board when these guys were accumulated but where I was EVERYONE HAD TO HAVE THEM. Well, now we have them and too some there still not good enough. We basically have three no.1 picks back there with an upper tier FA signing. Pettine needs to make it WORK!!!

I believe Epenesa to be a good football player but would not be happy with him being the first pick. They need too develop Gary as the 3rd pass rusher and once again it falls on Pettine to make that happen. We’re not in any position to be making luxury picks at this stage in the game. Pass rush wasn’t our glaring weakness. Stopping the run was. We don’t need anymore players on defense that allow us too have anymore “exotic pass rush looks”.

What we need is some guys that can line up and occupy there space and shut down running lanes while not allowing other teams running the ball right down our throat!!!!

call_me_ishmael
04-14-2020, 04:16 PM
Adrian Amos strikes me as just a guy, but I am also just a guy, so what do I know. I would love to land a big fella like the Iowa lad Nutz mentioned above.

pbmax
04-14-2020, 04:19 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Wisconsin’s Zach Baun, the third-rated linebacker on Mel Kiper Jr.’s board, notified all 32 teams that he testified positive for a diluted sample at the combine that he blamed on drinking too much water for weight-related weigh-in purposes, per league sources.

I did not realize you need to ingest increased water to go along with your creatine intake.

call_me_ishmael
04-14-2020, 04:20 PM
^ so is the thought that he's taking banned substances? Yikes.

GB-Brandon
04-14-2020, 04:27 PM
Adrian Amos strikes me as just a guy, but I am also just a guy, so what do I know. I would love to land a big fella like the Iowa lad Nutz mentioned above.

Well they spent 4 year 37 million for that “Just a Guy”.

GB-Brandon
04-14-2020, 04:42 PM
Sheesh, I guess Pettine needs first round picks and high priced free agents at every position on the field to run a competent defense.

pbmax
04-14-2020, 04:49 PM

Its 14th in the League for safeties in yearly average.

There is nothing wrong with Amos but he's probably not a Top 5 SS.

pbmax
04-14-2020, 04:54 PM
Sheesh, I guess Pettine needs first round picks and high priced free agents at every position on the field to run a competent defense.

That is a very good question.

The Packers have made a tremendous investments on defense since 2011 with picks and lately with FA (plus Peppers). And they had about 3-4 average defenses to show for it.

The Packers prioritize passing D as they expect to have a lead to protect with their offense. But that formula has broken down, first on D and then on O as they did not invest enough resources on skill position talent.

They have to resolve that tension to get past the 49ers.

GB-Brandon
04-14-2020, 05:17 PM
Its 14th in the League for safeties in yearly average.

There is nothing wrong with Amos but he's probably not a Top 5 SS.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/pro-football-focus-adrian-amos-cusp-elite-status

He has flirted with being one of the best in the game during his career.

I have no problem with Amos as he has finally brought some stability back there.

To me this is all on Mike Pettine. I think he is a Giant Fraud. He had some success with the Jets but he was with Rex Ryan and they amassed a warchest of talent on defense.

I have zero faith giving Pettine another 1st round pick will make us any better on defense.

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2020, 06:43 PM

That's less than 10 mill a year, not elite salary for a player that is not elite or top 5 in the league.

wist43
04-14-2020, 06:55 PM

The Packers have made a tremendous investments on defense since 2011 with picks and lately with FA (plus Peppers). And they had about 3-4 average defenses to show for it.

The Packers prioritize passing D as they expect to have a lead to protect with their offense. But that formula has broken down, first on D and then on O as they did not invest enough resources on skill position talent.

One of the problems was that they just drafted guys without thought about how they would fit - then of course Capers did nothing to adapt to the talent he had.

Conversely, look at how the Pats have historically looked at drafting players. They make a Wildass reach of a pick, and everybody slams them; but, they pick players with specific roles in mind, and then coach them and scheme them to succeed in those roles.

It is why I want a guy like Amik Robertson. We desperately need a slot corner... Robertson would be perfect. Don't draft a 6'2" corner who might have upside outside, but then throw him in the slot and expect him to excel.

We've thrown a lot of resources at defense over the years, but those resources have not been well spent. I think Gute and Pettine are on the right track, and the defense has made strides.

wist43
04-14-2020, 07:21 PM

I know he's got the production, but he's the poster child for pedestrian athlete. I have a real hard time getting behind taking him in the 1st.

I see him as a 2nd rounder. He's got some good attributes - strong hands, good hand fighter, savvy pass rusher, stout at the point; but, good God he's got all the athleticism of a snail.

Somebody will take him before pick 62, I hope it's not us.

smuggler
04-14-2020, 07:24 PM
I am not down on Pettine, but I do feel the defense needs to improve. They need one more horse on the DL

GB-Brandon
04-14-2020, 07:32 PM
One of the problems was that they just drafted guys without thought about how they would fit - then of course Capers did nothing to adapt to the talent he had.

Conversely, look at how the Pats have historically looked at drafting players. They make a Wildass reach of a pick, and everybody slams them; but, they pick players with specific roles in mind, and then coach them and scheme them to succeed in those roles.

It is why I want a guy like Amik Robertson. We desperately need a slot corner... Robertson would be perfect. Don't draft a 6'2" corner who might have upside outside, but then throw him in the slot and expect him to excel.

We've thrown a lot of resources at defense over the years, but those resources have not been well spent. I think Gute and Pettine are on the right track, and the defense has made strides.

I don’t see giving up a rushing record performance to Raheem Mostert(who they made look like Jim Brown) in the NFC Champ game “making strides” or “being on the right track” when considering what was invested. The Niners threw the ball 8 times.

The prior week against a beat up and ravaged Seahawks offense the defense almost blew that game too as they appeared gas’d in the 2nd half.

This was nowhere near having a “Championship Level Defense” as advertised. What’s worrisome is the defense had max good health last year for the most part too. The old “injury excuse” couldn’t even be used.

We probably won’t be as lucky this year. This has been going on for ten years now and it’s past pathetic.

GB-Brandon
04-14-2020, 07:39 PM

I agree. Until they get an offense that can strike the fear in opposing defenses again this Smoke & Mirror defense wont get it done. It’s not strong or stout enough to just line up and win games that way against the better teams.

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2020, 08:05 PM

It is sort of pathetic when you look at all the investment on defense and recognizing that they have made mistakes in the draft on talent. The Packers just haven't had a good defense since 2007 and 2010. Look at the miss on Perry, and Jones, even the foul tip on King.

wist43
04-14-2020, 08:26 PM
I don’t see giving up a rushing record performance to Raheem Mostert(who they made look like Jim Brown) in the NFC Champ game “making strides” or “being on the right track” when considering what was invested. The Niners threw the ball 8 times.

The prior week against a beat up and ravaged Seahawks offense the defense almost blew that game too as they appeared gas’d in the 2nd half.

This was nowhere near having a “Championship Level Defense” as advertised. What’s worrisome is the defense had max good health last year for the most part too. The old “injury excuse” couldn’t even be used.

We probably won’t be as lucky this year. This has been going on for ten years now and it’s past pathetic.

I agree with all of that, but would argue it's still under construction.

When you've got a street FA like Lancaster playing significant snaps - you've got problems.

I think they've done a lot to fix the back end, and the Smiths along with Clark are good pieces up front; but I've always viewed Martinez as a weak link, Burks is a no-hoper (and that's wholly on Gute), Montravious Adams seems to be a bust too.

So bottom line is we still need some significant pieces up front.

Epenesa would immediately become our 2nd best DL, but I'm not sure he's worth a 1st round pick. I'll look at him some more though... really haven't watched a lot of his film.

He's stout though and can shed in the run game though, and that is certainly something we've been lacking.

Bretsky
04-14-2020, 08:40 PM
I know he's got the production, but he's the poster child for pedestrian athlete. I have a real hard time getting behind taking him in the 1st.

I see him as a 2nd rounder. He's got some good attributes - strong hands, good hand fighter, savvy pass rusher, stout at the point; but, good God he's got all the athleticism of a snail.

Somebody will take him before pick 62, I hope it's not us.

Didn't you say something similar about my boy TJ ?

Bretsky
04-14-2020, 08:42 PM
GOOD GOD ARE WE TALKING DEFENSE ROUND ONE AGAIN ?

Here's an i interesting consideration

How many 1st round draft picks do we have on Offense ? Scary

Bretsky
04-14-2020, 08:46 PM
I like Queen a lot, but I'd be shocked if they take Queen at 30... assuming he were even there.

Players I like that I expect to be gone are Queen, Murray, and Mims. The OT's will be gone... if they want Bartch, I suspect they may have to trade up from 62.

Reagor will probably be there, maybe Blacklock too.

Fairly deep draft at the top... not a lot to seperate players 25-75. Trade down might be in order.

Don't want Lewis there. I like Jefferson, but would want to trade down - not sure he can play outside.

I don't think Murray or Queen are there; if they are Baltimore will pluck them ahead of us

call_me_ishmael
04-14-2020, 09:28 PM
I see a lot of people seeming to think Murray is a future all-pro. If he's there at 25, do you move up and grab him?

Bretsky
04-14-2020, 09:34 PM
I see a lot of people seeming to think Murray is a future all-pro. If he's there at 25, do you move up and grab him?

I would not give up our 2nd

call_me_ishmael
04-14-2020, 10:05 PM
I would not give up our 2nd

I don't think you'd need to. Probably our 3rd. When the Packers gave away TJ they got a 4th to go from 26 I think to 33, right? I would maybe do a 4th and swap 5th and 6th round picks or something.

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2020, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't move up to take a defensive player, unless one of the top tier guys are still there. Murray and Queen would both fit scheme in Green Bay, but based on the position, how the Packers addressed linebacker in free agency I don't think they will move up to draft one, but I would like both of them at 30.

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2020, 10:50 PM
I said “One of the most Talented” and I stand by that.

Alexander- Top Pick and Pro Bowl level corner

Amos- Top 5 safety with a combined PFF rating over 80 last 4 years.

Savage- All-Rookie honors and they traded up in 1st to get him.

King- Top pick with elite size/speed combo who has dealt with injuries. Many thought he would be the next Richard Sherman.

I didn’t endorse any of these moves except Alexander. However, the fact is combined they are very talented and fast and athletic. I wasn’t on this board when these guys were accumulated but where I was EVERYONE HAD TO HAVE THEM. Well, now we have them and too some there still not good enough. We basically have three no.1 picks back there with an upper tier FA signing. Pettine needs to make it WORK!!!

I believe Epenesa to be a good football player but would not be happy with him being the first pick. They need too develop Gary as the 3rd pass rusher and once again it falls on Pettine to make that happen. We’re not in any position to be making luxury picks at this stage in the game. Pass rush wasn’t our glaring weakness. Stopping the run was. We don’t need anymore players on defense that allow us too have anymore “exotic pass rush looks”.

What we need is some guys that can line up and occupy there space and shut down running lanes while not allowing other teams running the ball right down our throat!!!!

Epenesa would play as a down linemen, totally different position then Gary as an outside linebacker. Epenesa would would play any where from a 5 tech to a 3 tech in base or in the nickel package with only two down linemen.

HarveyWallbangers
04-15-2020, 01:27 AM
Epenesa would play as a down linemen, totally different position then Gary as an outside linebacker. Epenesa would would play any where from a 5 tech to a 3 tech in base or in the nickel package with only two down linemen.

Epenesa vs Austin Jackson was a good watch. Epenesa is best as an inside rusher. He actually reminds me of Za'Darius Smith with the way he uses his hands. Tough dude. He and Smith both tested poorly, but they are good football players. Just probably not the right fit to spend a 1st round draft pick for us.

HarveyWallbangers
04-15-2020, 01:38 AM
Not sure what anybody sees in QB Anthony Gordon. He's fringe draftable to me. Jake Luton is a guy I kind of enjoyed. He's 6'6" and is more athletic than he tested. His arm strength is average though and he really has to wind up to get any juice. He was the consensus 13th QB on the big boards I use, but I think he has a chance to be one of the first drafted after the top 7.

It's a pretty solid RB class. A sleeper I like is Michael Warren. Bigger back with good feet and third down ability. LeVante Bellamy may not get drafted because he has no power, but he is fun to watch in space. There are quite a few decent third down types, but I always have a hard time evaluating them because they are all athletic and look good in space.

pbmax
04-15-2020, 08:25 AM
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/pro-football-focus-adrian-amos-cusp-elite-status

He has flirted with being one of the best in the game during his career.

I have no problem with Amos as he has finally brought some stability back there.

To me this is all on Mike Pettine. I think he is a Giant Fraud. He had some success with the Jets but he was with Rex Ryan and they amassed a warchest of talent on defense.

I have zero faith giving Pettine another 1st round pick will make us any better on defense.

So on the cusp of elite status after 2017. That was 2 seasons ago and he was since released. So I think we know how that worked out.

He fits better on the Packers defense than Dix would have with Savage (Amos as moveable SS, Savage usually deep) and he is more reliable than Dix. That is fine for me.

I don't think you can look at the similar struggles between Capers and Pettine and come to the conclusion that the issue is coaching.

I think wist is partially right that the Packers really struggle to identify talent on that side of the ball AND I think this is exacerbated by a philosophy that puts too much emphasis on stopping the pass. I largely agree with the approach, but you have to spend some more resources (more than Lowry, Lancaster and Martinez/Kirksey) to do it. Yes run defense is cheaper on the whole, but you can't stop the run with parts from the junkyard. I guess I am short changing Clark here but he does need help.

Once again I am hoping Captain Silo sits down Gute/Ball/LaFleur-Pettine and says to them get on the same ******g page.

pbmax
04-15-2020, 08:35 AM
GOOD GOD ARE WE TALKING DEFENSE ROUND ONE AGAIN ?

Here's an i interesting consideration

How many 1st round draft picks do we have on Offense ? Scary

I think its the story of the last decade. But not sending more money in FA 2020 (realizing that it would hurt the cap eventually) left them with more questions than they will be able to address in one draft.

But I think the fact that WR is not just top heavy but deep argues for not staying put and taking a WR unless you get a Top 15 talent to drop. You get a legit high first level talent at WR and I think its worth another year of spit, pine tar and bailing wire for a run defense.

Or get a difference maker at another position of need (OT, DL, ILB). If not, trade down.

Problem with WR is deep so wait is that everyone else is planning to nab a wideout. So there will be a run. And 62 might be late for it. Then you have to hope to get James Jones

Deputy Nutz
04-15-2020, 09:11 AM
Tee Higgins looked good against Virgina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAh-TDa8M5M

HarveyWallbangers
04-15-2020, 02:22 PM
So on the cusp of elite status after 2017. That was 2 seasons ago and he was since released. So I think we know how that worked out.

Amos? I think he was rated as a top 5-10 safety for 2018 by PFF. I don't think he was released either. He was a UFA.

pbmax
04-15-2020, 02:36 PM
Amos? I think he was rated as a top 5-10 safety for 2018 by PFF. I don't think he was released either. He was a UFA.

Bears didn't resign him was the point. Worth it on a rookie deal, not worth a second contract.

run pMc
04-15-2020, 03:09 PM
Honestly, if the top 5-6 WRs and best OTs are gone, I'd be fine with GB trading down a few picks, drafting Higgins and getting an extra 3rd or 4th for the trouble. There will be good value WRs i those rounds but getting 2 WR picks out of this draft will improve the talent and roster competition considerably. It really depends on how the board plays out. Not sure Higgins will be there at 62 but it would be nice for them to get at least 2 Year-1 starters with their first three picks.

run pMc
04-15-2020, 03:10 PM

He was a UFA. For a safety with quality starting experience entering his prime he got a decent contract. He's not elite but he's pretty good and a much-needed steadying presence in the secondary.

GB-Brandon
04-15-2020, 04:04 PM
Amos was a good signing!!!! He isn’t the problem!!!

The problem is Pettine tries to play light up front with one stud(Kenny Clark).

You have teams like the Seahawks that played a 4-3 base against the Niners and had some success.

Pettine is the problem with his “stubborn schemes”.

GB-Brandon
04-15-2020, 04:12 PM
They desperately need another stud up front to play this scheme Pettine likes so I feel DL will be the target early and we’ll probably miss out on Reagor for this “Championship Defense” that they “have to complete”.

Which has basically been a “Ten Year Horror Movie”

GB-Brandon
04-15-2020, 04:17 PM
Tee Higgins looked good against Virgina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAh-TDa8M5M

I like Higgins but his athletic numbers don’t match typically what Gute looks for.

GB-Brandon
04-15-2020, 04:46 PM

I’m more interested in Raekwon Davis and DaVon Hamilton.

pbmax
04-15-2020, 04:49 PM
They desperately need another stud up front to play this scheme Pettine likes so I feel DL will be the target early and we’ll probably miss out on Reagor for this “Championship Defense” that they “have to complete”.

Which has basically been a “Ten Year Horror Movie”

This is, in part, valuing pass rush over run stopping and discounting ILB play. Its not just Pettine or Capers. Its the organizational philosophy coming home to roost.

pbmax
04-15-2020, 04:50 PM
Amos was a good signing!!!! He isn’t the problem!!!

I agree completely. But that isn't an elite player. He's a good piece and as KYPack would say, "a steady hand".

Bretsky
04-15-2020, 07:27 PM
I think its the story of the last decade. But not sending more money in FA 2020 (realizing that it would hurt the cap eventually) left them with more questions than they will be able to address in one draft.

But I think the fact that WR is not just top heavy but deep argues for not staying put and taking a WR unless you get a Top 15 talent to drop. You get a legit high first level talent at WR and I think its worth another year of spit, pine tar and bailing wire for a run defense.

Or get a difference maker at another position of need (OT, DL, ILB). If not, trade down.

Problem with WR is deep so wait is that everyone else is planning to nab a wideout. So there will be a run. And 62 might be late for it. Then you have to hope to get James Jones

If we don't get a WR in round one we need to move up in round two or we'll really be dropping back in terms of getting a difference maker. As much as I like Ceephus, he's not the top WR I'd want

Bretsky
04-15-2020, 07:28 PM

And how's Pettine doingi ?

Bretsky
04-15-2020, 07:29 PM
This is, in part, valuing pass rush over run stopping and discounting ILB play. Its not just Pettine or Capers. Its the organizational philosophy coming home to roost.

WINNER WINNNER

NEWSFLASH; Capers was not Satan. He was an about average NFL DC. Wondering more and more if Pettine is the same

GB-Brandon
04-15-2020, 08:13 PM
WINNER WINNNER

NEWSFLASH; Capers was not Satan. He was an about average NFL DC. Wondering more and more if Pettine is the same

I agree. Capers was working with a lot of “Spare Parts” and got a lot of unfair blame. Over the hill Clay Matthews? Invisible Nick Perry? Invisible Datone Jones? Jerel Worthless? I could go on and on. Add flawed safety play and a bunch of busts in the secondary and I don’t think anyone could of make those defenses winners. It was patchwork at best.

With the current overall talent on defense now I ponder what Capers could do with it. My current confidence level on Pettine is not high. When you have the head coach on the sideline in a playoff game telling you to “Stop the Fu***** Run” and you can’t is a bad look.

GB-Brandon
04-15-2020, 08:18 PM
I’d put this guy down for one of our 6th-7th round picks. He is a “Glider”.

https://youtu.be/XpvOJIJJddo

Sparkey
04-15-2020, 08:31 PM
I agree. Capers was working with a lot of “Spare Parts” and got a lot of unfair blame. Over the hill Clay Matthews? Invisible Nick Perry? Invisible Datone Jones? Jerel Worthless? I could go on and on. Add flawed safety play and a bunch of busts in the secondary and I don’t think anyone could of make those defenses winners. It was patchwork at best.

With the current overall talent on defense now I ponder what Capers could do with it. My current confidence level on Pettine is not high. When you have the head coach on the sideline in a playoff game telling you to “Stop the Fu***** Run” and you can’t is a bad look.
Would Capers have even recognized the talent? Ala Casey Heyward and Micah Hyde.

wist43
04-15-2020, 08:38 PM
WINNER WINNNER

No B, Capers was, in fact, Satan.

The Latin translation for Capers is Satan, and the aramaic translation for Lucifer is Capers.

I rest my case.

GB-Brandon
04-15-2020, 09:24 PM
So I really see 4 guys that I really like with the short area speed(burst) and quickness we lack. These are guys we probably have a shot at. I hope the Packers get two of these guys but at least 1 for sure. This is kinda where I project them. If they got both Reagor and Aiyuk somehow it would make up for the entire draft and my draft vacation in Las Vegas getting cancelled. Our offense would immediately be DEADLY!!! Rodgers would Feast!!

Round 1- Jalen Reagor

Round 2 - Brandon Aiyuk

Round 3 - Quez Watkins

Round 6- Jason Huntley

GB-Brandon
04-15-2020, 09:26 PM

Well the fact that we’re comparing Pettine and Capers isn’t a good sign.

HarveyWallbangers
04-15-2020, 09:26 PM
I’d put this guy down for one of our 6th-7th round picks. He is a “Glider”.

https://youtu.be/XpvOJIJJddo

Levante Bellamy is my Jason Huntley. Huntley's RAS is great--although I don't trust Pro Day results as much as combine results. Bellamy is similar to Tyler Ervin or Ito Smith. I'd bet one or both of these guys gets drafted--even though they are graded as UDFAs by most boards.

I was looking at my draft spreadsheets from 2014-2018. Almost every RB with 4.50+ 40, 38" vertical, and 125" broad at the combine got drafted (almost all higher than they were projected). Most of the late round RBs who weren't on anybody's radar (Darius Jackson, Dewayne Washington, Trenton Cannon, Boston Scott) did likewise at their Pro Days. It's pretty clear that GMs value the RAS score at RB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ03OGRAGrM

GB-Brandon
04-15-2020, 09:31 PM

Yep, and that’s why we get called a “finesse team” sometimes. It’s all based on sacks and turnovers which I’ll take but like you said we better have an offense that can strike at will and playing ahead.

GB-Brandon
04-15-2020, 09:41 PM
Levante Bellamy is my Jason Huntley. Huntley's RAS is great--although I don't trust Pro Day results as much as combine results. Bellamy is similar to Tyler Ervin or Ito Smith. I'd bet one or both of these guys gets drafted--even though they are graded as UDFAs by most boards.

I was looking at my draft spreadsheets from 2014-2018. Almost every RB with 4.50+ 40, 38" vertical, and 125" broad at the combine got drafted (almost all higher than they were projected). Most of the late round RBs who weren't on anybody's radar (Darius Jackson, Dewayne Washington, Trenton Cannon, Boston Scott) did likewise at their Pro Days. It's pretty clear that GMs value the RAS score at RB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ03OGRAGrM

He kinda reminds me of Thomas Rawls.

Huntley will get drafted for sure. His tape matches his numbers. I believe Huntley to be an upgrade over Ervin.

Here is some good stuff on Huntley. His numbers are GREAT! I’d be all over Huntley and draft him in 6th. He has Aaron Jones type potential.

https://nfldraftrite.com/2020/04/08/stop-sleeping-on-jason-huntley/

GB-Brandon
04-15-2020, 09:57 PM

Everyone can call Gary an OLB but I am not sure he is or will ever be able to play in space required in this scheme. It might be time to count our losses and beef him up and make him a rotational DE.

I know it hurts but I believe that’s all we have. Time will tell but he has miles to improve playing in space as a Packer OLB. Training camp was not pretty.

It was a horrible pick then and it remains a horrible pick now. Tick Tock.

texaspackerbacker
04-16-2020, 01:45 AM
WINNER WINNNER

Amen to that.

As for Gary, he seems like he'd be a helluva 4-3 DE if we ever got rid of Pettine and replaced him with a 4-3 guy. You could say the same for both Smiths.

pbmax
04-16-2020, 07:15 AM

I think that was an organizational decision from the top, based on the cap. Capers was guilty of playing guys out of position, but I won't lay the blame at his feet until someone writes a book for Ted that tells me the front office couldn't get M3 and Capers to play these guys at their natural position.

pbmax
04-16-2020, 07:24 AM
No B, Capers was, in fact, Satan.

The Latin translation for Capers is Satan, and the aramaic translation for Lucifer is Capers.

I rest my case.

You forgot to translate the other side of the medallion. Which would tell you that capers are a delicious snack.

the cooked and pickled flower bud of a prickly southern European shrub, used to flavor food.

pbmax
04-16-2020, 07:31 AM
Andy Herman @AndyHermanNFL

Your current Packers’ offensive linemen under contract in 2021:

Billy Turner
Elgton Jenkins
Lucas Patrick
Cole Madison
Rick Wagner

Now add to that fact Turner & Wagner have outs in their contract & Madison isn’t expected to make the team.

Packers’ draft will be OL HEAVY!!!

DRAFT AN IOWA GUY IN THE FIRST, COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES IN THE FOURTH OR A BADGER IN THE SEVENTH. WHY DO GMs MAKE THIS SO COMPLICATED?

Why is Madison not expected to make the team? What did I miss?

run pMc
04-16-2020, 07:44 AM
I think that was an organizational decision from the top, based on the cap. Capers was guilty of playing guys out of position, but I won't lay the blame at his feet until someone writes a book for Ted that tells me the front office couldn't get M3 and Capers to play these guys at their natural position.

But...But...But players out of position is disguise! </sarcasm>

run pMc
04-16-2020, 07:51 AM
Packers’ draft will be OL HEAVY!!!

DRAFT AN IOWA GUY IN THE FIRST, COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES IN THE FOURTH OR A BADGER IN THE SEVENTH. WHY DO GMs MAKE THIS SO COMPLICATED?

Why is Madison not expected to make the team? What did I miss?

Madison was a Day 3 pick who took a year off and sounded like he was not exactly a world beater when he came back. I think this is basically the year he has to show something or he's toast, especially if they draft more than one OL -- which I think is a possibility by the way.

Wagner has a 2 year contract which basically means he's a stopgap, Bahktiari and Linsley are FAs, and Turner is meh. There could be a LOT of change on the OL, and if Gute is smart he'll avoid what happened when they lost Wahle/Rivera/Verba.

If it is a good draft for OT's I could see him take one early and another developmental prospect late. Alex Light doesn't inspire confidence, considering they got lucky and plucked a retired by still effective Veldheer to replace him.

pbmax
04-16-2020, 08:55 AM
Madison was a Day 3 pick who took a year off and sounded like he was not exactly a world beater when he came back. I think this is basically the year he has to show something or he's toast, especially if they draft more than one OL -- which I think is a possibility by the way.

Wagner has a 2 year contract which basically means he's a stopgap, Bahktiari and Linsley are FAs, and Turner is meh. There could be a LOT of change on the OL, and if Gute is smart he'll avoid what happened when they lost Wahle/Rivera/Verba.

If it is a good draft for OT's I could see him take one early and another developmental prospect late. Alex Light doesn't inspire confidence, considering they got lucky and plucked a retired by still effective Veldheer to replace him.

I thought his camp reviews were OK for someone out of the game for a year. There were even a couple of "he's getting better" mentions. But that might have simply been some kind words thrown to someone who was struggling.

I just didn't think it was a lock he was gone, so I suspected another shoe had dropped.

GB-Brandon
04-16-2020, 02:26 PM
I think if he clears medicals Niang is the answer long term at RT. They could draft another one later. Taking college tackles that are just missing something and turning them into productive guards is something the Packer have done well.

Not too worried here.

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2020, 05:19 PM
I like Niang a lot. I'm a little off the Austin Jackson bandwagon after watching him against Epenesa. Before watching film, based just off scouting reports, I had Jackson even with Josh Jones. After watching film, I have Jones comfortably ahead of Jackson. Similar feeling with Ezra Cleveland, but not to that extent. My top 10:

1 1 Jedrick Wills
2 1 Andrew Thomas
3 1 Tristan Wirfs
4 1 Mekhi Becton
5 1 Josh Jones
6 2 Lucas Niang
7 2 Isaiah Wilson
8 2 Austin Jackson
9 2-3 Ezra Cleveland
10 3 Ben Bartch

Matt Peart, Prince Tega Wanogho, and Saahdiq Charles are interesting for the Packers scheme, but it will take them awhile before they are ready to start.

run pMc
04-16-2020, 05:53 PM
I thought his camp reviews were OK for someone out of the game for a year. There were even a couple of "he's getting better" mentions. But that might have simply been some kind words thrown to someone who was struggling.

I just didn't think it was a lock he was gone, so I suspected another shoe had dropped.

I think there was interest when he came back and the stories about him shaking off the rust etc., but from what I heard after the fact he had some good days and some shaky days that neither made big news nor inspired confidence in the coaches he was Elgton Jenkins' clone. Basically it was "he's a project and is coming along but not ready for gameday snaps".
Maybe this season that changes, and while I'm rooting for the guy I'm not holding my breath either. They draft Day 3 OL all the time that pass on through (Kyle Murphy, Kofi Amichia...).

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2020, 07:25 PM
Speak of the devil

Prospect for the Pack: TCU OT Lucas Niang (https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/16/prospect-for-the-pack-tcu-ot-lucas-niang/)

GB-Brandon
04-16-2020, 07:36 PM
Speak of the devil

Prospect for the Pack: TCU OT Lucas Niang (https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/16/prospect-for-the-pack-tcu-ot-lucas-niang/)

Yeah, they could probably trade back into 2nd and pick up Aiyuk and then trade up in 2nd and in 3rd and grab Reagor and Niang. Might be too much to ask for.

That would be my dream scenario.

Bretsky
04-16-2020, 09:52 PM
Yeah, they could probably trade back into 2nd and pick up Aiyuk and then trade up in 2nd and in 3rd and grab Reagor and Niang. Might be too much to ask for.

That would be my dream scenario.

When it seems that obvious, it never happens :)))

Bretsky
04-16-2020, 10:39 PM
Round 1 A.J. Epenesa EDGE | Iowa

Round: 2 Brandon Aiyuk WR | Arizona State

Round: 3 Prince Tega Wanogho OT | Auburn

Round: 4 Quintez Cephus WR | Wisconsin

Round: 5 Shaquille Quarterman LB | Miami (FL)

Round: 6 Joshua Kelley RB | UCLA

Round: 6 Brandon Jones S | Texas

Round: 6 Stanford Samuels II CB | Florida State

Round: 7 Chris Orr LB | Wisconsin

Round: 7 Michael Divinity Jr. LB | LSU

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2020, 12:28 AM
We need to get faster, not slower. You drafted a WR who ran 4.73, a CB who ran 4.65, and an ILB who ran a 4.85. :)

Bretsky
04-17-2020, 07:25 AM
We need to get faster, not slower. You drafted a WR who ran 4.73, a CB who ran 4.65, and an ILB who ran a 4.85. :)

Hey Negative Nanny that WR ran a 4.55ish at pro day. The tape says he can play. Which LB ran a 4.85 ? And I got a burner WR in round 2.

And I got an edge who can play too :)) Actually in this one there was a run of WR's in round one

ThunderDan
04-17-2020, 11:33 AM
Full 7 round draft at FanSpeak:
OT AUSTIN JACKSON USC
TE COLE KMET NOTRE DAME
DL RAEKWON DAVIS ALABAMA
G JON RUNYAN MICHIGAN
C DARRYL WILLIAMS MISSISSIPPI STATE
WR JAUAN JENNINGS TENNESSEE
WR QUEZ WATKINS SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
TE THADDEUS MOSS LSU
QB TYLER HUNTLEY UTAH
S J.R. REED GEORGIA

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2020, 02:21 PM
I thought I'd try one where I take a CB first.

30: R1P30 CB JAYLON JOHNSON UTAH
62: R2P30 WR BRANDON AIYUK ARIZONA STATE
94: R3P30 LB JORDYN BROOKS TEXAS TECH
136: R4P30 G ROBERT HUNT LOUISIANA
175: R5P29 TE HARRISON BRYANT FLORIDA ATLANTIC
192: R6P13 WR JAMES PROCHE SMU
208: R6P29 OT ALEX TAYLOR SOUTH CAROLINA STATE
209: R6P30 CB JOHN REID PENN STATE
236: R7P22 DL JASON STOWBRIDGE NORTH CAROLINA
242: R7P28 RB LEVANTE BELLAMY WESTERN MICHIGAN

GB-Brandon
04-17-2020, 03:01 PM
I thought I'd try one where I take a CB first.

30: R1P30 CB JAYLON JOHNSON UTAH
62: R2P30 WR BRANDON AIYUK ARIZONA STATE
94: R3P30 LB JORDYN BROOKS TEXAS TECH
136: R4P30 G ROBERT HUNT LOUISIANA
175: R5P29 TE HARRISON BRYANT FLORIDA ATLANTIC
192: R6P13 WR JAMES PROCHE SMU
208: R6P29 OT ALEX TAYLOR SOUTH CAROLINA STATE
209: R6P30 CB JOHN REID PENN STATE
236: R7P22 DL JASON STOWBRIDGE NORTH CAROLINA
242: R7P28 RB LEVANTE BELLAMY WESTERN MICHIGAN

I really like that other then taking a CB in 1st round. :roll:

IMO Jordyn Brooks would be an amazing fit to this defense. The rest of its solid.

Bretsky
04-17-2020, 09:22 PM
CHAD REUTERS RECENT MOCK DRAFT...........PREDICTS PACKERS GIVE US A 3RD and 6TH TO TRADE UP WITH NEW ENGLAND AND DRAFT

The full list of Packers picks:

– 1.23: CB Jaylon Johnson, Utah
– 2.62: WR Laviska Shenault, Colorado
– 4.136: QB Nate Stanley, Iowa
– 5.175: DL McTelvin Agin, Arkansas
– 6.208: CB A.J. Green, Oklahoma State
– 6.209: LB Dante Olson, Montana
– 7.236: WR Isaiah Wright, Temple
– 7.242: OL John Molchon, Boise State

Bretsky
04-17-2020, 09:23 PM
HATE that draft. Nate Stanley.......BARF.............the Badgers QB outplayed him the last two years

Bretsky
04-17-2020, 10:29 PM
CBS SPORTSLINE DRAFT FOR GB

Green Bay Packers
ROUND OVERALL PLAYER NOTES
1 30 WR Denzel Mims, Baylor
2 59 LB Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech from SEA*
2 62 Traded to Seattle
3 94 TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame
4 136 DL Jason Strowbridge, North Carolina
5 175 Traded to Seattle
5 177 WR Isaiah Hodgins, Oregon State from KC*
6 192 Traded to Kansas City from LV
6 208 G Tremayne Anchrum, Clemson from TEN
6 209 S Antoine Brooks Jr., Maryland
7 236 CB Essang Bassey, Wake Forest from BUF/CLE
7 242 Traded to Kansas City from BAL

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2020, 10:58 PM
One where I take DL first.

30: R1P30 DL NEVILLE GALLIMORE OKLAHOMA
62: R2P30 RB D’ANDRE SWIFT GEORGIA
94: R3P30 WR VAN JEFFERSON FLORIDA
136: R4P30 OT LUCAS NIANG TCU
175: R5P29 G ROBERT HUNT LOUISIANA LAFAYETTE
192: R6P13 TE DEVIN ASIASI UCLA
208: R6P29 CB HARRISON HAND TEMPLE
209: R6P30 QB JAMES MORGAN FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL
236: R7P22 DL MCTEVIN AGIM ARKANSAS
242: R7P28 LB CAM BROWN PENN STATE

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2020, 12:57 AM
Bob McGinn

My polling of 17 executives in personnel took place in the last 2 ½ weeks. Each scout was asked to rank the wide receivers on a 1 to 6 basis, with a first-place vote worth 6 points, a second worth 5 and so on.

CeeDee Lamb, with 87 points and 10 first-place votes, nosed out Jerry Jeudy, who had 86 and five. Following, in order, were Henry Ruggs (66, one), Justin Jefferson (28 ½), Tee Higgins (25 ½, one), Bryan Edwards (13), Brandon Aiyuk (12), Laviska Shenault (11), Jalen Reagor (10), KJ Hamler (4 ½), Denzel Mims (four), Lynn Bowden (three), Quez Watkins (three), Van Jefferson (two), Gabriel Davis (one) and Michael Pittman (one-half).

run pMc
04-18-2020, 08:36 AM
CeeDee Lamb, with 87 points and 10 first-place votes, nosed out Jerry Jeudy, who had 86 and five. Following, in order, were Henry Ruggs (66, one), Justin Jefferson (28 ½), Tee Higgins (25 ½, one), Bryan Edwards (13), Brandon Aiyuk (12), Laviska Shenault (11), Jalen Reagor (10), KJ Hamler (4 ½), Denzel Mims (four), Lynn Bowden (three), Quez Watkins (three), Van Jefferson (two), Gabriel Davis (one) and Michael Pittman (one-half).

Looks like WR tiers - Lamb through Higgins - R1, Edwards through Raegor as R2 (Top 50), the rest are probably late R2 to early R4.

I like Mims or Jefferson over Hamler, but burners with burst like KJ are uncommon.
Surprised Higgins and Edwards are where they are; I'd almost think all the love Aiyuk was getting would put him higher. I'm betting the core injury he and Shenault both had dropped them considerably. Medicals are going to be very important in the absence of pro days and on-site visits.

pbmax
04-18-2020, 08:55 AM
Looks like WR tiers - Lamb through Higgins - R1, Edwards through Raegor as R2 (Top 50), the rest are probably late R2 to early R4.

I like Mims or Jefferson over Hamler, but burners with burst like KJ are uncommon.
Surprised Higgins and Edwards are where they are; I'd almost think all the love Aiyuk was getting would put him higher. I'm betting the core injury he and Shenault both had dropped them considerably. Medicals are going to be very important in the absence of pro days and on-site visits.

I've seen a lot of mocks with the Packers either taking Mims at 30 or moving back and taking Mims or Reagor. Wonder if Packers scouts agree about Mims being bottom third of this tier of 16.

pbmax
04-18-2020, 09:19 AM
Evan Silva mock, first round only

1. Cincinnati -Burrow
2. Washington - Young
3. DEEtroit - Okudah
4. NYGiants - Wills
5. Miami - Herbert
6. Clippers - Tagovailoa
7. Carolina - Simmons
8. Arizona - Brown
9. Jacksonville - Kinlaw
10. Cleveland - Thomas
11. NYJets - Wirfs
12. LasVegas - Henderson
13. San Fran - Jeudy
14. Tampa - Becton
15. Denver - Lamb
16. Atlanta - Ruggs
17. Dallas - Terrell (M3 will at least be familiar with a first round pick on D)
18. Miami - Chaisson
19. LasVegas - Love
20. Jacksonville - Johnson
21. Philly - Reagor
22. Minnesota - Mims
23. New England - Epenesa
24. New Orleans - Jefferson
25. Minnesota - Jones
26. Miami - Ruiz
27. Seattle - Cleveland
28. Baltimore - Gross-Matos
29. Tennessee - Wilson
30. Green Bay - Murray
31. San Fran - Blacklock
32. KC - Queen

pbmax
04-18-2020, 09:33 AM
Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL
Ohio State RB J.K. Dobbins video conferences with Texans, Kansas City Chiefs, Green Bay Packers, Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions, New Orleans Saints, Miami Dolphins

Utah DT Leki Fotu @LekiFotu video conferences-calls with 17 teams, including Texans, Eagles, Dolphins, Chargers,Bears, Seahawks, Titans, Packers; and he visited Eagles prior to NFL directive halting those due to health crisis @Utah_Football #NFLDraft2020

Several NFL teams closely vetting Florida International quarterback James Morgan including hometown Packers, Patriots, Bears, Colts, Raiders, Giants, Bills, Jets and Dolphins @OTGSports

Houston LT Josh Jones @JoshJones_23 @UHCougarFB a rising first-round prospect from George Bush HS, has video conferences with Patriots, Texans, 49ers, Colts, Eagles, Rams, Chargers, Cardinals, Bucs, Bears, Ravens, Vikings, Jets, Packers #NFLDraft2020 @seniorbowl @JimNagy_SB

Strong East-West Shrine all-star game practices so far for Florida International quarterback James Morgan, elevating his draft stock. Has met with majority of teams there, including Texans, Panthers, Browns, Lions, Cowboys, Packers, Colts, Jaguars, Chiefs, Chargers, Rams

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2020, 10:42 AM
I read an interesting article where scouts said the media's mocks and draft boards are way off compared to most years. Basically, because of the Wuhan Virus. It stated that the media types haven't had the access to scouts that they normally would. Not that they can't communicate electronically, but there have been events that were canceled (e.g. most Pro Days) where media would have easier access to the scouting community. I think you have to take the mocks and big boards with a grain of salt. Interesting read. I think you see a bit of that with McGinn's article on WRs.

Bretsky
04-18-2020, 11:41 AM
I could see that; normally we have a pretty good beat on where players are going by draft day in here but we could be way off as well.

Reading Reuter was interesting. He basically said GB picks a safety or CB year after year in round 1 or 2 and he expects them to again.

We often think of what will help us win now; but we don't know if our GM thinks that way. In his Rueter's interview he noted JT would be a great first round pick for GB if they think Jones might leave. Ditto for a CB if they're losing King.

I'm still hoping Murray or Queen falls to them in round one, and then we trade up a nab a burner at WR in round two. If Josh Jones or a ILB doesn't fall, I'd be all about trading down in round 1.

Rueter predicts they trade up and give up a 3rd round pick to get a CB in round one; that would be disappointing

Bretsky
04-18-2020, 01:31 PM
Round 1 Justin Jefferson WR | LSU

Round: 2 Justin Madubuike DL | Texas A&M

Round: 3 Logan Wilson LB | Wyoming

Round: 4 Evan Weaver LB | California

Round: 5 Jon Runyan OT | Michigan

Round: 6 Joe Reed WR | Virginia

Round: 6 Shyheim Carter S | Alabama

Round: 6 Michael Warren II RB | Cincinnati

Round: 7 Chauncey Rivers EDGE | Mississippi State

Round: 7 Josh Brown OT | College of Idaho

I MIGHT TAKE THIS ONE

pbmax
04-19-2020, 08:32 AM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Packers are doing some pre-draft work on H-back types. Likely they draft one late or sign one as a priority free agent. Vitale replacement

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2020, 02:49 PM
I wish they'd commit to using TEs for that purpose. I see Vitale's roster spot as a waste. A TE could have done what he did as effectively or more so. Also train Jamal Williams as a lead blocker in some cases, and maybe have somebody doing the Fridge thing in a few rare goal line situations.

pbmax
04-20-2020, 03:01 PM
Its going to be a glorious night:

Dianna Russini @diannaESPN
I’m texting with multiple coaches and GM’s who are on this mock draft call and everybody is saying the same thing which is band width is a problem. There are many communication issues.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Text from a participant on the NFL’s mock draft that started at 1 pm EST. “Mock draft today already technical glitch w Cincinnatis 1st pick!!! Brutal.”

mraynrand
04-20-2020, 03:30 PM
Gotta have the wired tech available

http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/img/movies/cableguy/cableguy04.jpg

pbmax
04-20-2020, 05:06 PM
Gotta have the wired tech available

http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/img/movies/cableguy/cableguy04.jpg

Loved that movie. Weirded out a lot of people.

I just hope there is enough confusion for a coach or owner to fire someone because a phone call gets choppy :lol:

mraynrand
04-20-2020, 05:31 PM
Loved that movie. Weirded out a lot of people.

I just hope there is enough confusion for a coach or owner to fire someone because a phone call gets choppy :lol:

There has to be at least one major glorious failure attributed to failed tech. Just hoping it isn't the Packers. 'Cheat flubbing a franchise QB pick would be the best.

wist43
04-20-2020, 07:28 PM
Was listening to PFF today (Steve and Sam), and they're speculating that Reagor will be long gone by pick 30.

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2020, 07:31 PM
Man this draft is going to be a riot. A couple of really top heavy position groups and others not so much. I would say receiver and offensive tackle are heavy along with running back, then you have positions like linebacker and tight end that are light in the ass. It will be interesting to see the runs on positional groups throughout the draft.

GB-Brandon
04-20-2020, 07:41 PM
Was listening to PFF today (Steve and Sam), and they're speculating that Reagor will be long gone by pick 30.

They traded up for Savage so I don’t see any reason Gute won’t do it for a receiver the Packers Love.

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2020, 08:17 PM
I understand moving up if say they were only two or three first round caliber players, but this draft is loaded at receiver. This would have to be a in the moment trade because one of the top three guys started to fall. If Ruggs was there at 25 It might be worth the expense to move up and grab him or Lamb, or Juedy. I am not trading up for any other receiver.

GB-Brandon
04-20-2020, 08:30 PM
I understand moving up if say they were only two or three first round caliber players, but this draft is loaded at receiver. This would have to be a in the moment trade because one of the top three guys started to fall. If Ruggs was there at 25 It might be worth the expense to move up and grab him or Lamb, or Juedy. I am not trading up for any other receiver.

It’s gonna come down to when the run on them starts. I’m hearing lots of teams want one of these top receivers.

Depends on where teams or the Packers see the drop off.

If you remember last year the Packers could of stood pat and got Juan Thornhill, Adderly, Abram or Rapp but they jumped off the reservation for Savage.

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2020, 08:44 PM
Yeah, the guy I liked was Gardner-Johnson from Florida, I had no idea why he dropped so far, and then word after the draft spread about significant character concerns.

wist43
04-20-2020, 09:29 PM

PFF said they've heard of 3 GM's who have Reagor as their 3rd WR.

I haven't looked at Lamb at all b/c he is supposed to be long gone by the time we pick, but I did look at Juedy some. I put Reagor pretty close to Juedy.

The guy I don't want at 30 is Shenault.

Would be thrilled with Mims or Reagor.

Bretsky
04-20-2020, 10:02 PM
PFF said they've heard of 3 GM's who have Reagor as their 3rd WR.

I haven't looked at Lamb at all b/c he is supposed to be long gone by the time we pick, but I did look at Juedy some. I put Reagor pretty close to Juedy.

The guy I don't want at 30 is Shenault.

Would be thrilled with Mims or Reagor.

I don't want another Michigan reject. Pass on People dude.

I"m ok with most of the other top WR's. I saw somebody mock Pittman to us at 30; yuk there

If the WR's go like crazy, and they might. One of the Big 3 ILB's might fall right into our lap

than we move up in round two and still get a WR around 45 to 50

Bretsky
04-20-2020, 10:03 PM
I would love to see Jonathan Taylor go to Pittsburg or KC

Bretsky
04-20-2020, 10:05 PM
Aiyuk Shennault Jaeger Jefferson Mims and the big 3. Be happy with any of them

Bretsky
04-20-2020, 10:07 PM
Baltimore is hungry for a ILB

Saints and Baltimore seem to be mocked to both taking Queen and Murray quite a bit.

Wonder what the cost to jump up 3 spots over the Ravens ?

HOODY GENIUS IS BUDDIES WITH SAN FRAN

Would not be surprised at all to see deals between them draft day

Bretsky
04-20-2020, 10:17 PM
3 predictions from Lombardiave.com

INTERESTING ONE

1. Trade up for a top-tier receiver
Okay, it may not be a bold prediction to say the Packers will trade up in the draft. GM Brian Gutekunst has shown he’s not afraid to make trades in the draft. But I mean the Packers are really going to trade up. I’m thinking as high as 12.

With 10 draft picks and limited cap space, I think the Packers will definitely look to move up in the draft at some points and have the draft picks to do it. My bold prediction is that they will trade up to get a receiver like CeeDee Lamb. This is a deep receiver draft, but a player like Lamb would absolutely make the Packers one of the top offenses in the NFC, if not the NFL. Other receivers would include Henry Ruggs III, Jerry Jeudy, or Justin Jefferson.

texaspackerbacker
04-20-2020, 10:35 PM
Ruggs would be my top WR - on the slim slim chance we trade up. I'd rather have Mims than any of those others mentioned except for Ruggs.

I'm not convinced, though, that we take a WR in the first or maybe not even in the second, given the depth of WRs in the draft.

pbmax
04-21-2020, 12:39 AM
Gutenkunst today in phone PC (that actually did cut out once :D ):

@Peter_Bukowski
Brian Gutekunst made it clear that while he thinks the WR class is deep, they're not going to sit and wait for someone to be there. Adds he doesn't expect them to "wait very long."

TRANSLATION: THEY WILL NOT TRADE UP NOW

pbmax
04-21-2020, 12:44 AM
There has to be at least one major glorious failure attributed to failed tech. Just hoping it isn't the Packers. 'Cheat flubbing a franchise QB pick would be the best.

Trust me, its worth the click:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsHQ/status/1251857328837517312

run pMc
04-21-2020, 07:39 AM

Remember when Minnesota didn't get their card turned in on time FOR A TOP TEN PICK and JAX jumped ahead of them?

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 09:17 AM
I don't want another Michigan reject. Pass on People dude.

I"m ok with most of the other top WR's. I saw somebody mock Pittman to us at 30; yuk there

If the WR's go like crazy, and they might. One of the Big 3 ILB's might fall right into our lap

than we move up in round two and still get a WR around 45 to 50

Don’t like it at all. I see people comparing him to Courtland Sutton and it’s not there.

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 09:33 AM
I believe Aiyuk is the “Value Spot” with Mimms and Reagor being off board by time Packers pick. I see the drop off after Aiyuk. Whether they think they can trade back and still get Aiyuk is the big question.

https://youtu.be/ApNCewXmEHk

Deputy Nutz
04-21-2020, 09:53 AM
Here is my prediction,

I think 5 receivers will be drafted in the first round. If I am wrong and a run goes on receiver the Packers should swim away from the current and look at the defensive players dropping.

_________
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/josh-jones-ezra-cleveland-austin-jackson-isaiah-wilson-nfl-draft-2020
Side note, I read a good article about offensive tackle last night. It basically said not to chase the high ceiling, ultra athletic developmental tackle early in the draft. Article said these guys aren't developed real well in college that because they have really good athletic traits colleges rush them to play and not build them up first.

Deputy Nutz
04-21-2020, 09:56 AM
https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/nfl-draft-2020-defensive-backs-after-major-recent-draft-investments-in-secondary-packers-still-have/collection_7150ad88-9b08-5ce0-9b31-5efd9de9464a.html

I am all for having a deep secondary and restocking the back end of the defense, but this article points out how the Packers front office has screwed up royally drafting the secondary position. Yuckers.

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2020, 10:17 AM
https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/nfl-draft-2020-defensive-backs-after-major-recent-draft-investments-in-secondary-packers-still-have/collection_7150ad88-9b08-5ce0-9b31-5efd9de9464a.html

I am all for having a deep secondary and restocking the back end of the defense, but this article points out how the Packers front office has screwed up royally drafting the secondary position. Yuckers.

Mainly the DBs that were drafted in Thompson's final years. I love the Alexander and Savage picks. People were high on Jackson and thought we got a steal, but I wasn't as high on him. There were legit questions about Jackson's speed (although his other testing numbers were good). So far, his lack of speed hasn't allowed him to utilize his strength (ball skills). In the second round he wasn't a terrible gamble. His ball skills were elite in college.

run pMc
04-21-2020, 11:00 AM
_________
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...nfl-draft-2020
Side note, I read a good article about offensive tackle last night. It basically said not to chase the high ceiling, ultra athletic developmental tackle early in the draft. Article said these guys aren't developed real well in college that because they have really good athletic traits colleges rush them to play and not build them up first.

The Ezra Clevelands of college football are intriguing but ultimately scary in a Jason Spriggs/Allen Barbre kind of way. If they are going to draft a project, it shouldn't be until R3 at the soonest, and even that feels like a risk. With few exceptions, a player picked inside the top 100 should be expected to play a double digit percentage of snaps (if you include ST) in season 1 IMO.

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 12:23 PM

IMO, the “DB Debacle” is the number one reason our offense is in the current state that it is.

First of all it makes zero sense to me to build a defense back to front. Secondly, the new rules in the NFL make it almost impossible to cover other teams without substantial pass rush. Without pass rush it doesn’t matter who you have back there for the most part.

pbmax
04-21-2020, 02:21 PM
IMO, the “DB Debacle” is the number one reason our offense is in the current state that it is.

First of all it makes zero sense to me to build a defense back to front. Secondly, the new rules in the NFL make it almost impossible to cover other teams without substantial pass rush. Without pass rush it doesn’t matter who you have back there for the most part.

There is a growing body of work that secondary play is more vital to pass defense than generally thought. Pass rush will only get you so far and you need a good backend to make it stick all game long.

But for the Packers, mainly this is a function of losing players (Collins) and never correctly addressing talent on hand (Hyde, Hayward) and then finding yourself in a position of need at a critical spot. Hence the multiple attempts drafting multiple secondary players. They've been behind the eight ball in the D backfield for most of this decade.

They have done the same thing at receiver more recently, though they are far more willing to pay their own there which helped.

You never want to have to desperately draft for need and you certainly don't want to do it multiple times. Its the case where better communication with the D coaches and a more liberal approach to FA would have helped.

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 02:33 PM
There is a growing body of work that secondary play is more vital to pass defense than generally thought. Pass rush will only get you so far and you need a good backend to make it stick all game long.

But for the Packers, mainly this is a function of losing players (Collins) and never correctly addressing talent on hand (Hyde, Hayward) and then finding yourself in a position of need at a critical spot. Hence the multiple attempts drafting multiple secondary players. They've been behind the eight ball in the D backfield for most of this decade.

They
have done the same thing at receiver more recently, though they are far more willing to pay their own there which helped.

You never want to have to desperately draft for need and you certainly don't want to do it multiple times. Its the case where better communication with the D coaches and a more liberal approach to FA would have helped.

I agree but I feel that Packers drafted for “Need” over over again with DB’s and then pumped all these picks into a flawed system.

A lot of these DB picks over the last several years were “reaches” to me. I’m not certain they were “the best player available”. I was never excited about any of them except Alexander. They were the type of draft picks that you had to spend hours selling Yourself on. Some were even “head scratchers” like Rollins.

Collins is one of my fav all-time Packers. His career ending injury proved to be devastating as it took years to sort of replace him.

J. Finley was another one that hurt on the offensive end. I felt he had finally developed and came into his own when he got hurt.

More messes that AR12 had to clean up and now some people want to move on from Rodgers. It’s just crazy to me. The reality is we had a player so gifted(AR12) that they could make all these mistakes building the roster successfully and still have somewhat successful seasons. Now it’s being exposed.

This whole thing has been propped up by back to back HOF Quarterbacks. Good luck getting 3 in a row.

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 02:52 PM
I will never understand the premise of getting a HOF and surrounding him with a bunch of DB’s.

“NEVER LEAVE THE GAME IN THE HANDS OF DB’S!!!!!!!”

pbmax
04-21-2020, 03:16 PM
I will never understand the premise of getting a HOF and surrounding him with a bunch of DB’s.

“NEVER LEAVE THE GAME IN THE HANDS OF DB’S!!!!!!!”

It was actually short term thinking, but about the draft and not Ted's former approach. Gute showed what you can do drafting for value with LEEEroy Jenkins.

Everyone thought Ted was always thinking long term, but he was, in his own way. in a win now mode and it cost them.

call_me_ishmael
04-21-2020, 03:19 PM
https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/1252692108458131457

Gronk coming back! Time to try to steal OJ Howard for a 4th. I'd rather have Howard than Cephus!

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 03:31 PM
It was actually short term thinking, but about the draft and not Ted's former approach. Gute showed what you can do drafting for value with LEEEroy Jenkins.

Everyone thought Ted was always thinking long term, but he was, in his own way. in a win now mode and it cost them.

Well see what Gute does this draft. Overall I’m happy with the rebuild of the defense other then the Gary pick. If offensive firepower is ignored other then a couple late round fliers I will be thoroughly disappointed.

We’re way way overdue for some firepower on offense so people can call it a “NEED” etc etc. or whatever they want. Every year it’s the same thing and it feels like there is this “obsession” with yet adding even more premium resources to the defense. The ROI(return on investment) does not add up. “I’m SELLING”. It’s time add some premium talent to help Rodgers out as he nears the end of his career. It’s become our only chance. There is no more “NEXT YEAR”. That was used up about three drafts ago.

run pMc
04-21-2020, 04:11 PM
https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/1252692108458131457

Gronk coming back! Time to try to steal OJ Howard for a 4th. I'd rather have Howard than Cephus!

I'd give up a R4 for Howard. I'd rather have Howard than Tonyan, and most of the TE prospects in the draft are not inspiring (although I like Deguiera out of Cincinnati as a TE/H-back type).

run pMc
04-21-2020, 04:16 PM
Well see what Gute does this draft. Overall I’m happy with the rebuild of the defense other then the Gary pick. If offensive firepower is ignored other then a couple late round fliers I will be thoroughly disappointed.

We’re way way overdue for some firepower on offense so people can call it a “NEED” etc etc. or whatever they want. Every year it’s the same thing and it feels like there is this “obsession” with yet adding even more premium resources to the defense. The ROI(return on investment) does not add up. “I’m SELLING”. It’s time add some premium talent to help Rodgers out as he nears the end of his career. It’s become our only chance. There is no more “NEXT YEAR”. That was used up about three drafts ago.

Agree they are overdue for offensive skill players. Without Jones and Adams they don't have much help for Rodgers. It wouldn't hurt for them -- and I would be concerned if Gute didn't -- to think down the road to what their WR room will look like in 2 seasons, when Adams is 29 going on 30 and wants to retire a Packer with a juicy 4 year contract.

One thing's for sure -- they need WR's and this is supposed to be a fantastic year for them in the draft.

pbmax
04-21-2020, 05:11 PM
I'd give up a R4 for Howard. I'd rather have Howard than Tonyan, and most of the TE prospects in the draft are not inspiring (although I like Deguiera out of Cincinnati as a TE/H-back type).

Rumor is that OJ Howard was in Arians doghouse all year long.

pbmax
04-23-2020, 03:20 PM
Have had a month or more to prepare. And he is still on Wi-Fi so weak that two devices took him down.

ESPN’s Dianna Russini reported at least one NFL coach said he got kicked off the league’s practice draft testing the remote communications this week. How’d that happen? His kids were on their iPads using up his wifi connection.

Read more here: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article242193826.html#storylink=cpy

Fosco33
04-23-2020, 03:31 PM
What they need is one fan cam per team to show the eagles displeasure, the raiders confused face and the packer fan shaking their head

pbmax
04-23-2020, 04:29 PM
What they need is one fan cam per team to show the eagles displeasure, the raiders confused face and the packer fan shaking their head

Plus 20 Jets fans booing the pick!

pbmax
04-23-2020, 04:30 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Among the teams who have made some noise about potentially moving up in tonight’s Draft: The #Falcons, the #Jets (presumably for a tackle), the #Saints, the #Packers. New Orleans and Atlanta are always among the most aggressive.

Aaron Nagler @AaronNagler
Have to think the Packers want to get ahead of Philly, who have a lot of similar needs. Trading with their usual parter, the Seahawks, won't get it done this year. Have to find a partner higher up, maybe Gruden at 19.

Teamcheez1
04-23-2020, 05:15 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Among the teams who have made some noise about potentially moving up in tonight’s Draft: The #Falcons, the #Jets (presumably for a tackle), the #Saints, the #Packers. New Orleans and Atlanta are always among the most aggressive.

Aaron Nagler @AaronNagler
Have to think the Packers want to get ahead of Philly, who have a lot of similar needs. Trading with their usual parter, the Seahawks, won't get it done this year. Have to find a partner higher up, maybe Gruden at 19.

I wholly expect that the endless wait to Pick 30 will end with a trade back into the second round (which I'm fine with).

GB-Brandon
04-23-2020, 05:21 PM
I wholly expect that the endless wait to Pick 30 will end with a trade back into the second round (which I'm fine with).

Depending who’s on the board at 30 then yes.

Joemailman
04-23-2020, 05:25 PM

I'm hoping so. However, if Queen or Murray are available at 27, I could see Gutey trading up into Seattle's spot to get ahead of Baltimore. Would probably cost Packers 4th round pick.

hoosier
04-24-2020, 04:18 PM
They traded up for Savage so I don’t see any reason Gute won’t do it for a receiver the Packers Love.

Brandon is prophetic. No, he's more than prophetic: he actually caused the very trade up that has him in such a tizzy.

pbmax
04-24-2020, 06:57 PM
Brandon is prophetic. No, he's more than prophetic: he actually caused the very trade up that has him in such a tizzy.

run pMc and I also caused the QB pick because we asked for him not to be drafted.

Bretsky
04-24-2020, 07:33 PM
run pMc and I also caused the QB pick because we asked for him not to be drafted.

We're sending you both to the Asylum next April !!!!!!!

hoosier
04-25-2020, 10:52 PM

At least you appear to have come to peace with what you have wrought.

pbmax
04-26-2020, 08:43 AM
At least you appear to have come to peace with what you have wrought.

Some things should just not be spoken, lest they come into existence.

smuggler
04-26-2020, 09:50 AM
What if Love becomes a Hall of Fame quarterback? I guess GB-Brandon and pbmax will get all the credit.

MadtownPacker
04-26-2020, 10:16 AM
That will be how they try to spin that’s for fucking sure.

pbmax
04-26-2020, 10:19 AM
That will be how they try to spin that’s for fucking sure.

No chance. I will be happy to be wrong about the future Hall of Famer.

pbmax
04-27-2020, 08:08 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/27/2020-nfl-draft-humanity-pandemic-bucs-fmia-peter-king/

Charlie Licht, the 11-year-old son of Tampa Bay GM Jason Licht, has made friends with several kids of NFL GMs from league functions. He plays Madden with some of them. Hanging around his dad while Jason Licht made a slew of pre-draft trade inquiries was fascinating for Charlie, but Dad at one point thought son might have heard too much. “Charlie,” Jason said to him one day, “you CANNOT tell any of those kids what I’m thinking if you heard anything.”

It was that kind of draft this year: Kids had to learn what “off the record” means.

pbmax
04-27-2020, 08:24 AM
Same King article:

One last note: Gutekunst said the Packers had two receivers they were targeting in early and middle part of the second round. They tried to move up with several teams, he said, until the second receiver they preferred got picked, and then they stopped. Seven wideouts went in the first 27 picks of the second round; Green Bay, with the 62nd overall pick, took running back A.J. Dillon. Not good. As much as the draft pick itself, the price for Love included not addressing that big need at receiver. We’ll see if that comes back to haunt the team this year or next.

mraynrand
04-27-2020, 08:42 AM

That's what He said.

run pMc
04-27-2020, 09:43 AM

Yeah, I'm never posting about that again. I posted last year I didn't want Gary.
Then again, I could try and double whammy it by saying I don't want who I do want them to draft.

run pMc
04-27-2020, 09:46 AM
Same King article:
Every once in a while King is right.

I think giving up that R4 pick hurt their flexibility to move around in R2 & R3. Curious to know who they thought was going to try and draft Love before them (i.e., NE trading back into R1?).

smuggler
04-27-2020, 09:46 AM
Gary was also the one top prospect I didn't want. Would have much preferred Ed Oliver - and the team would have been better in 2019 with Oliver.

Bretsky
04-27-2020, 11:12 AM
Gary was also the one top prospect I didn't want. Would have much preferred Ed Oliver - and the team would have been better in 2019 with Oliver.

I'd have preferred a bunch of guys over that Wolverine Baconator

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2020, 11:19 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/27/2020-nfl-draft-humanity-pandemic-bucs-fmia-peter-king/

That story for some reason reminds me of those great old Iron Eagle movies.

call_me_ishmael
04-27-2020, 11:28 AM
I actually thought this was the most entertaining draft in years. They should keep up this format personally. It shows a different side of the NFL and humanizes the folks involved.

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2020, 12:44 PM
You would say that. I got so fed up with all that stupid human interest crap and quirky stories that I muted the volume a lot of the time.

pbmax
04-27-2020, 01:19 PM
You would say that. I got so fed up with all that stupid human interest crap and quirky stories that I muted the volume a lot of the time.

Better than Mekhi Becton on a row boat in the fountain of the Bellagio.

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2020, 04:17 PM
Tip a canoe and Becton too. That would make a big splash.

mraynrand
04-27-2020, 08:21 PM

Row the boat?

hoosier
04-28-2020, 12:43 PM
Same King article:

If Love turns out to be who they think he is, missing out on what's his name from SMU or Texas Tech or whatever will be long forgotten in a couple of years. If not, missing out on old whatshisname won't matter much either, seeing how the Packers already shot their draft wad into the toilet. If you're going to go for broke in the first round, might as well play it that way for the rest of the draft as well.

Teamcheez1
04-28-2020, 04:54 PM
McGinn weighs in on the Love pick:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/28/packers-have-had-enough-of-aaron-rodgers-act/

pbmax
04-28-2020, 04:56 PM
McGinn weighs in on the Love pick:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/28/packers-have-had-enough-of-aaron-rodgers-act/

He put it in his own article too if you can access the Athletic. It's garbage.

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1255189179241246720

Though now we have to decide between wist and GB_Brandon which is Bob and which is his son.

mraynrand
04-28-2020, 06:15 PM
I got through the first sentence. Even had they not drafted Love, Rodgers’ days in GB are numbered. But I guess with what’s going on in the world now, apparently a lot of people don’t think death should exist anymore nor should QBs age and retire.

Bretsky
04-28-2020, 07:07 PM

Though now we have to decide between wist and GB_Brandon which is Bob and which is his son.

I am Bob McGinn !!!!!!!!!!!!! I defended him against the Koolaidians for a long long time. But I haven't read the article yet

Bretsky
04-28-2020, 07:11 PM

What is wrong with the article ?

Do you really think the majority of Football fans not in Green Bay would disagree with much of this ?

Teamcheez1
04-28-2020, 07:46 PM

Do you really think the majority of Football fans not in Green Bay would disagree with much of this ?

I do believe a lot of fans disagree with this, just like many disagreed with replacing Favre. The first thing I looked at when Rodgers signed his current contract was the most likely year the Packers could trade or cut him, and mentally penciled that in as the as the last year in GB. Yes, Rodgers wants to play to his 40's, blah, blah, blah. After last year, I don't see a QB we would keep for more than two more years. I actually hope he proves me wrong, but I don't see it.

pbmax
04-28-2020, 10:18 PM

I do think most disagree with the suggestion, reported without source, that LaFleur is seizing control back by influencing the draft.

As I said elsewhere, if not drafting WR early is snubbing Rodgers, then it apparently started after the 2014 draft.

Its an overreaction to a pretty common development. Fans see a need, see a draft loaded with prospects then freak out when one isn't take in the top 2 rounds.

GB-Brandon
04-28-2020, 11:17 PM
Notice how the Seahawks took my guy Jordyn Brooks?

They have been known to know a thing or two about LB’s. Hmmmm

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2020, 01:16 AM
I am Bob McGinn !!!!!!!!!!!!! I defended him against the Koolaidians for a long long time. But I haven't read the article yet

I never liked McGinn. I was probably one of those Koolaidians you defended him against. It always annoyed me the way he quoted unnamed scouts from other teams.

Bretsky
04-29-2020, 02:37 AM
I never liked McGinn. I was probably one of those Koolaidians you defended him against. It always annoyed me the way he quoted unnamed scouts from other teams.

Yet he was nearly always a step ahead of everybody else because of them

wist43
04-29-2020, 07:49 AM

Figures you'd vote for the Harrison/Tyler ticket ;)

pbmax
04-29-2020, 08:07 AM

That was a good call.

pbmax
04-29-2020, 08:09 AM
So it started with this:

Cole Cubelic @colecubelic
This is inconceivable...

Career TD passes to 1st round picks:

Brees 104
Brady 105
P Manning 293
Favre 127
Marino 84
Rivers 35
*Rodgers 1
Roethlisberger 69

*Marcedes Lewis 2019

pbmax
04-29-2020, 08:10 AM
And became this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWtygWVXkAYZjYi?format=jpg&name=medium

and this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWuErjpXYAMZoYc?format=jpg&name=large

Bretsky
04-29-2020, 08:24 AM
That was a good call.

it's kind of batshit crazy.

At one point he had a good core...Jennings, Nelon, Driver, Jones

When Gutebag cut Jordy they were all gone.

pbmax
04-29-2020, 08:24 AM
it's kind of batshit crazy.

At one point he had a good core...Jennings, Nelon, Driver, Jones

When Gutebag cut Jordy they were all gone.

Patler warned us about this is 2010 I think.

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2020, 09:29 AM
Yet he was nearly always a step ahead of everybody else because of them

Or maybe just making up shit

mraynrand
04-29-2020, 09:43 AM

What are you, his agent?

But I agree with the point about Seattle. Pittsburgh too.

Rastak
04-29-2020, 07:20 PM
Patler warned us about this is 2010 I think.

Hey, which brings up a real important point, where is Patler?

Bretsky
04-29-2020, 07:56 PM
Hey, which brings up a real important point, where is Patler?

He's with Fritz scoping out chicks

MadtownPacker
04-29-2020, 08:05 PM
Hey, which brings up a real important point, where is Patler?He will sense a disturbance in the force like Yoda and show up now that you said his name.

Rastak
04-29-2020, 08:16 PM
He will sense a disturbance in the force like Yoda and show up now that you said his name.

Cool, I figured it was something like that.

Fritz
04-30-2020, 10:49 AM
He's with Fritz scoping out chicks

Yup. Me and Patler are the wild ones on this board.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2020, 04:19 PM
Kind of interesting how similar Dillon and Deguara are athetically to Derrick Henry and Kyle Juszczyk

A.J. Dillon - 6'0" 247, 4.53 40, 7.19 3 cone, no shuttle, 41" vertical, 10'11" broad jump, 23 bench
Derrick Henry - 6'3" 247, 4.54 40, 7.20 3 cone, 4.30 shuttle, 37" vertical, 10'10" broad jump, 22 bench

Almost identical. Dillon beat him in every category (most by the thinnest of margins)--except he's 3 inches shorter.

Josiah Deguara - 6'2" 242, 4.72 40, 7.15 3 cone, 4.35 shuttle, 35 1/2" vertical, 9'7" broad jump, 25 bench
Kyle Juszczyk - 6'1" 248, 4.71 40, no 3 cone, 4.19 shuttle, 37" vertical, 10'1" broad jump, no bench, no bench

Juszczyk did a little better in everything, but these were results from his Pro Day. Those almost always end up better than test scores at the combine--moreso the 40, 3 cone, and shuttle and not the vertican and broad jump.

run pMc
04-30-2020, 06:19 PM
Kind of interesting how similar Dillon and Deguara are athetically to Derrick Henry and Kyle Juszczyk

I remember reading some article a few weeks before the draft about how how running the ball might become more in vogue, teams were looking at what TEN did, and who might be the next Derrick Henry. All that segued into the draft and they mentioned the closest thing to Henry was Dillon.

As for Deguara, one of the things I heard about Vitale was he was pretty much maxed out at 6'0" and they needed someone a little bigger. Spending a Top 100 pick for an H-Back is a little rich, but if he becomes a swiss army knife like Juszczyk it's worth it for how it can help open up the offense and make it (as they say) "more multiple".

GB-Brandon
04-30-2020, 06:36 PM
After all this “offensive football” we have had in Green Bay it is baffling to me why some people are so happy to aspire to be like the Tennessee Titans.

I have read countless posts about how 1st round receivers don’t equal Super Bowl Championships. Well either does copying the Tennessee Titans!!!

run pMc
05-01-2020, 10:16 AM
After all this “offensive football” we have had in Green Bay it is baffling to me why some people are so happy to aspire to be like the Tennessee Titans.

I have read countless posts about how 1st round receivers don’t equal Super Bowl Championships. Well either does copying the Tennessee Titans!!!

It's not my preferred blueprint, that's for sure. I'll say this: Tennessee got as far as GB did last season, and they did it with an inferior QB to Rodgers.
I do think the coaches and scouts know more about the team than we do. I'm very surprised, but mostly disappointed, they didn't draft a WR. They did draft a lot of offense, even if it was at different positions than I expected/hoped.

I don't think it means they are rebuilding, or that it's the apocalypse for the franchise -- they've had bad drafts before. I think it means last year was a transitional year for the offense, and this year they are shifting to more of the offense that MLF wants to run.

mraynrand
05-01-2020, 10:28 AM
I would aspire to be the Titans with Rodgers as QB. Gives you a lot more options.

Stubby is gone. So is his offense. They ran him out of town. They (including Rodgers) better make this work or they’ll be packing their bags

pbmax
05-01-2020, 01:49 PM
Defense blew chunks early and late versus San Fran. A change in style isn't going to help that side of the ball.

mraynrand
05-02-2020, 07:44 AM
Defense blew chunks early and late versus San Fran. A change in style isn't going to help that side of the ball.

That depends on what you mean by style.

I think they could re-scheme with the players they have to counter SFs run game. Mostly requires better discipline.

(As opposed to needing to bring in 2-3 new guys and totally scrapping their defense).

My thinking is that if the KC defense can stop SF, so can GB - at least enough to win a ball game with an improved better-than-the-Titans clock controlling offense

pbmax
05-02-2020, 08:07 AM
That depends on what you mean by style.

I think they could re-scheme with the players they have to counter SFs run game. Mostly requires better discipline.

(As opposed to needing to bring in 2-3 new guys and totally scrapping their defense).

My thinking is that if the KC defense can stop SF, so can GB - at least enough to win a ball game with an improved better-than-the-Titans clock controlling offense

Sorry, my statement was confusing. There is some thought that changing the Packers offense to a heavier run emphasis will help the D. But even advocates of this approach always add "later in the game".

A run heavy play script and not having an early, big lead is not going to help the Packers D in the first quarter.

If they want the offense to help the D versus SF, stopping turnovers would be the best way.

Upnorth
05-02-2020, 08:37 AM
Here is how m4 thinks our o can help the d even in the first.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/29/new-packers-rb-a-j-dillon-was-a-destroyer-of-stacked-boxes/

His thinking is to help keep the d fresh and extend our drives. At least that is what I see looks like the plan.

pbmax
05-02-2020, 08:43 AM

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/29/new-packers-rb-a-j-dillon-was-a-destroyer-of-stacked-boxes/

His thinking is to help keep the d fresh and extend our drives. At least that is what I see looks like the plan.

My suspicion, until the offense proves it would be wise to adjust, is that defenses will continue to defend Rodgers first.

The offense had a whiff of Dan Reeves Broncos last year, start off with the game plan and struggle at times. Then need heroics from the extended offense/shotgun.

So Dillon and Daguerreotype will be in there at times to look heavy and then to pass off play action. In other words, to get the defense to commit to the run like they don't against Rodgers normally.

ThunderDan
05-02-2020, 09:04 AM
My suspicion, until the offense proves it would be wise to adjust, is that defenses will continue to defend Rodgers first.

The offense had a whiff of Dan Reeves Broncos last year, start off with the game plan and struggle at times. Then need heroics from the extended offense/shotgun.

So Dillon and Daguerreotype will be in there at times to look heavy and then to pass off play action. In other words, to get the defense to commit to the run like they don't against Rodgers normally.

That’s my thought too. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a Finley or Nelson to make the D pay for moving up to stop the run?

If I am a D coordinator, I drop one safety in the box put my other safety back and tell him his primary responsibility is Devante. Let every one else play man-to-man. The Packers will struggle against that D unless it learns to convert a lot of the 3rd downs it didn’t in 2019.

Upnorth
05-02-2020, 09:39 AM
And Dillion is exeactly how we get the tough 3rd downs that were Jones one weakness last year. Extend then drive and make the d honor our run game more.

At least that is the plan.

pbmax
05-02-2020, 09:49 AM
A good review of what happened by Demovsky, includes the fact that LaFLeur and Rodgers spoke after the pick. Which is more communication than I thought had happened.

But the article contains a piece of info about Josiah Deguara that brings to mind the Torrance Marshall pick:

Still, those savvy enough to read between the lines in the post-draft comments could surmise that if LaFleur truly had nothing to do with the Love pick, then how to explain the third-round pick of tight end/H-back Josiah Deguara?

Perhaps Gutekunst, after taking Love, allowed LaFleur a pick of his own.

"I'm very close with the offensive coordinator at Cincinnati, Mike Denbrock," LaFleur said. "And he raves about the guy."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29117914/a-first-round-qb-packers-gamble-jordan-love-aaron-rodgers

pbmax
05-02-2020, 09:56 AM
What happens after a period of losing more than you are used to (and is not wiped out by going 13-3) is that pretty basic events in training camp are blown way out of proportion.

EDIT: link below has been corrcted, originally gave a story about Alex Smith having necrotic fasciitis.

Elsewhere at ESPN (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29118278/how-bucs-treat-goat-lessons-tom-brady-ex-teammates), you can read a piece about how young players will need thick skin. Tom Brady once derisively asked a Guard if they had never seen an E-T stunt at Penn State.

But in Packerland, Rodgers, apparently unnecessarily, to the point of rendering the GM afraid to take a WR with a high pick, "ripped into the Packers' young wideouts" (from same article above)

His frustration stemmed from the fact that the young players -- most likely the young receivers -- didn't seem to be giving the drill the effort it deserved. The task is seemingly simple: read the card that shows the play the coaches want run in order to give the No. 1 defense the look it will see from the Titans.

"It was one of the worst cards sessions we've had," Rodgers said. "I don't know how you can make it any simpler. You literally have what the play would be in our terminology on the card, and the effort level was very low, especially with what I'm accustomed to. I've been running that period for a number of years. So it's not a good start for us on the card period for the young guys. I think [DeAngelo] Yancey has really progressed, G-Mo [Geronimo Allison]. Obviously, 16 [Jake Kumerow]. But everybody else was kind of piss poor."

Quote is here: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24313475/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-frustrated-young-receivers-effort-level-practice

texaspackerbacker
05-02-2020, 10:40 AM

hahahaha When I saw your lead in, I thought the article was gonna be about how the Packers avoided speedy home run hitter WRs.

Based on the article, Dillon should thrive. We don't get stacked boxes against the Packers. If he wants to hit somebody, he can be like Jim Taylor - seek a DB and target him.

mraynrand
05-02-2020, 11:41 AM
But the article contains a piece of info about Josiah Deguara that brings to mind the Torrance Marshall pick:

Was there something there about a girlfriend?

mraynrand
05-02-2020, 11:43 AM
What happens after a period of losing more than you are used to (and is not wiped out by going 13-3) is that pretty basic events in training camp are blown way out of proportion.

Elsewhere at ESPN (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29112995/alex-smith-comeback-fight-save-qb-leg-life), you can read a piece about how young players will need thick skin. Tom Brady once derisively asked a Guard if they had never seen an E-T stunt at Penn State.

But in Packerland, Rodgers, apparently unnecessarily, to the point of rendering the GM afraid to take a WR with a high pick, "ripped into the Packers' young wideouts" (from same article above)

Quote is here: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24313475/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-frustrated-young-receivers-effort-level-practice

Why are you recycling this?

pbmax
05-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Why are you recycling this?

Wasn't aware I had. But there is painting happening so I might be loopy on fumes.

I did have a bad link that I fixed, so that it points to the correct Brady story to compare to Rodgers.

mraynrand
05-02-2020, 01:06 PM
Wasn't aware I had. But there is painting happening so I might be loopy on fumes.

I did have a bad link that I fixed, so that it points to the correct Brady story to compare to Rodgers.

Oh I see. I didn’t even look at the Brady thing. :oops:

pbmax
05-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Young people. If he had mentioned Brian Williams instead (though not a first round pick), I might have forgiven it.

But for as close as Green Bay appeared last year, the Packers are still not as close as they appear. The defensive line needs a complement to Kenny Clark. Inside linebacker is a position that has been overlooked for years. Going back to 1993, Wayne Simmons (1993), Nick Barnett (2003) and A.J. Hawk (2006) were the only inside linebackers taken in the first round. This team hasn't had a dynamic presence at tight end since Jermichael Finley and Javon Walker was the last wide receiver taken in the first round in 2002.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/corys-corner-who-has-more-pressure-649?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Bretsky
05-02-2020, 03:24 PM
Young people. If he had mentioned Brian Williams instead (though not a first round pick), I might have forgiven it.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/corys-corner-who-has-more-pressure-649?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

To be fair much of this is ThanksTed's Fault

Gutebag has only sucked drafting for two years

pbmax
05-03-2020, 09:06 AM
To be fair much of this is ThanksTed's Fault

Gutebag has only sucked drafting for two years

That includes a lot of Wolf drafts too. Their version of roster construction just don't prioritize these positions.

The went and got Savage when there was literally no one else available to play deep safety on the roster. And that is about it. We probably could have figured out they weren't gong ILB in the first two or three rounds when they signed Kirksey.

beveaux1
05-03-2020, 11:11 AM
That includes a lot of Wolf drafts too. Their version of roster construction just don't prioritize these positions.

The went and got Savage when there was literally no one else available to play deep safety on the roster. And that is about it. We probably could have figured out they weren't gong ILB in the first two or three rounds when they signed Kirksey.

That should have been the key. I remain convinced that we would have taken a WR if there was one left on their board with a 1st round grade. We would have taken a WR in the 2nd if there was one left that the GM felt could provide immediate help.

I don't think there was an ILB on their board with a 1st round grade. My feeling is that after taking the QB in the 1st round, the GM felt he had to take someone in the 2nd that could help the offense this year and took the RB.

pbmax
05-03-2020, 11:15 AM
That should have been the key. I remain convinced that we would have taken a WR if there was one left on their board with a 1st round grade. We would have taken a WR in the 2nd if there was one left that the GM felt could provide immediate help.

I don't think there was an ILB on their board with a 1st round grade. My feeling is that after taking the QB in the 1st round, the GM felt he had to take someone in the 2nd that could help the offense this year and took the RB.

RIght. And the difference between a WR in the first (or second) and say QB (Love) or CB (Jackson) is that they will spend a bit more to get a first round grade talent on the latter two, but a WR or ILB has to come to them.

beveaux1
05-03-2020, 11:24 AM
RIght. And the difference between a WR in the first (or second) and say QB (Love) or CB (Jackson) is that they will spend a bit more to get a first round grade talent on the latter two, but a WR or ILB has to come to them.

That hits the nail on the head with their philosophy in my opinion, with the caveat that they won't have a 1st round grade on a QB next year.