PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 13 vs Washington

pbmax
12-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Started out a house on fire on offense and defense.

Then the game fell apart. Defense held on with pressure and turnovers as per usual.

But the offense was in a funk. By design or fear or the refusal of the QB, they play the entire game through Jones/Williams and Adams. Everything else is specialty plays or extended offense. Working as well as it did last year.

Subbing in Willams early probably hurt Jones success in running the ball. Almost has to be front office insisting on not wearing him out?

Dr. Zaius hurt his leg/hammy, but was back on next series.

Packers pass blocking is porous at times and Rodgers can't hold onto the ball like that. Had a dumb turnover because Bulaga got beat backside like a drum.

Secondary plays a bit more solid in the middle.

Joemailman
12-08-2019, 04:07 PM
Looked like they lost some focus after taking a 14-0 lead. Or maybe Redskins just made some adjustments that gave Packers trouble. Game was pretty much what I expected. Redskins defense is respectable, but passing offense is bad.

"I think if we had the answers, you wouldn't be seeing what you saw today," coach Matt LaFleur said of the offense. "I don't think it's up to our standards."

Joemailman
12-08-2019, 04:18 PM
So, was Ervin that much better than their other returners, or was the blocking better?

pbmax
12-08-2019, 04:18 PM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Aaron Jones is destroying Washington so naturally the Packers are banging their heads against the wall with their frustratingly inconsistent passing game.

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
Here's one possibility to spark the offense in this final quarter: Give the football to Aaron Jones.
He's got 117 yards on just 12 carries today. That's 9.75 yards every time he runs the ball. Might help.

Wes Hodkiewicz @WesHod
That was a 14-play, 74-yard drive that ate 7:24 off the clock.
The #Packers have had their ups and downs on offense this year but this team runs the four-minute offense as efficiently as any GB team I've covered. Today, it was Aaron Jones but Jamaal Williams has done it, too

THIS IS VERY TRUE. ONLY THE LACY OFFENSE IN FIRST TWO YEARS LOOKED THIS GOOD LATE WITH A LEAD.

pbmax
12-08-2019, 04:19 PM
So, was Ervin that much better than their other returners, or was the blocking better?

One of the returns had better blocking. But two of them he just took the ball and pushed it. One of those the Wash punter out kicked his coverage.

run pMc
12-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Negative plays on first down hurt them. Rodgers missed some throws, and the Redskins can play ok run D.
Given the advantage they had in starting field position, I was discouraged that they didn't score more points.
Jimmy Graham has improved his blocking this year, but he looks awkward running to me.
Geromino Allison doesn't bring much to the table...that almost fumble was ugly, but he had a nice rub against a corner to free up Lazard.
MVS' must be hurt worse than we know. Don't think he even got a target today.
Billy Turner plays decent but every so often has an appalling snap...thought he was on the ground a lot today.

Everyone knew the Native Americans were going to run the ball all day, and IIRC they ran on every 1st down. GB still had trouble stopping them, but it could have been worse. Guice/Peterson combo is no joke, in fairness.
Alexander played decent coverage -- I thought the secondary played better than vs. NYG. Haskins was often under pressure and isn't as good at this point as D.Jones. Also the safeties played better. Kevin King didn't play, I don't think that's why. Josh Jackson got some meaningful snaps! Rashan Gary almost had a sack, and Fackrell played ok except for that bad drive extending offsides penalty. Kenny Clark showed up, and the FA acquisitions (Smiths and Amos) all played well.

Tyler Ervin got a standing ovation from the crowd in the 1st half for his punt returns. Mason helped seal the game, and JK Scott punted well.

I still don't know what this team does consistently well enough to beat SEA/NO/SF, but they're 10-3 which is pretty amazing.

pbmax
12-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Andy Herman @AndyHermanNFL
After returning his first punt for positive yards the Packers have signed Tyler Ervin to a lifetime contract.

pbmax
12-09-2019, 08:19 AM
Bad news Frtiz, this looks promising:

https://twitter.com/SeedsofJake/status/1203748624397676547

https://media.giphy.com/media/Za9F3L3L4ummLGmfBy/giphy.gif

Fritz
12-09-2019, 08:34 AM
Bad news Frtiz, this looks promising:

https://twitter.com/SeedsofJake/status/1203748624397676547

https://media.giphy.com/media/Za9F3L3L4ummLGmfBy/giphy.gif

Once I found a strand of Drew Barrymore's hair on the red carpet in Hollywood. Things look promising!

pbmax
12-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Saw this on Peter King's FMIA article: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/09/49ers-saints-george-kittle-nfl-week-14-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw#numbers-game

Basically the perils of FA, 2019 edition. What struck me wasn't the folly of signing Nick Foles to a contract with $50 million guaranteed. It was that neither Smith (Za'Darius or Preston) was on it. Now maybe King cherry picked the list? Possible. But the list seems to cover the highest guarantees handed out. Ranges from $56 to $25 million.

Where are the Smiths? Dr. Zaius got $20 and Preston got $16.

So it might have been the silly money portion of FA, but it wasn't the dumbest part of the silly money season.

Good job Gute and Ball. When Pettine handed over his wish list, I wonder if he knew he was getting bargains? Packers might have been willing to spend $30-$40 mil on a guy.

EDIT: Fits what they generally seem to prefer, not to guaranty as much as others but offer larger salaries and non-guaranteed bonuses.

Tony Oday
12-10-2019, 09:08 AM
It's scary when the Redskins make a game of it.

pbmax
12-10-2019, 09:30 AM
@DhaSickest
Replying to
@NFLPhotoGuy and @don1964a
I think it was a cheap shot!! He knows the history of my knee injuries and went straight at them...

Derrius Guice thinks Savage leg takeout was a cheap shot because the rookie 'knows the history of my knee injuries'.

pbmax
12-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Aaron Jones ran a different route release when the CB fell down. Should have been an outside release according to LaFleur. This was the near miss to Jones that would have been a TD.

https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/1204254909744472064

pbmax
12-10-2019, 09:55 AM
State of the Offense according to the coach:

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/green-bays-offense-trending-the-wrong-way/

texaspackerbacker
12-10-2019, 01:23 PM
@DhaSickest
Replying to
I think it was a cheap shot!! He knows the history of my knee injuries and went straight at them...

Derrius Guice thinks Savage leg takeout was a cheap shot because the rookie 'knows the history of my knee injuries'.

Guice is a damn nobody. If he's that scared about his damn knees, he should pull a Borland and quit.

run pMc
12-10-2019, 01:50 PM
@DhaSickest
Replying to

That's frustration talking. Guice is a physical runner and tough to bring down, so a lot of DBs will go after such a player's legs to tackle them. He's just pissed because he's had a lot of knee injuries so far, plus his team lost.

pbmax
12-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Just follow this guy for nice clips of some key Packer plays.

https://twitter.com/PTTF_Ben/status/1204607533442318336

Gotarace
12-11-2019, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=pbmax;1037779]Just follow this guy for nice clips of some key Packer plays.

https://twitter.com/PTTF_Ben/status/1204607533442318336[/QUOTE
Thanks PB...the guy does a really nice job breaking down Packer Film.

Fosco33
12-11-2019, 07:45 PM
I was at the game - north end zone. Didn’t get much of anything that way all game.

Seemingly was bomb after bomb despite Jones chunking yards.

I’ll have to watch the game - but there was one play in particular where everyone saw a WIDE open Jimmy Graham frantically waving his arms to no avail.

The amount of Dodgeball signs and tshirts was at least 3x from September.

MadtownPacker
12-12-2019, 12:01 AM
I was at the game - north end zone. Didn’t get much of anything that way all game.

Seemingly was bomb after bomb despite Jones chunking yards.

I’ll have to watch the game - but there was one play in particular where everyone saw a WIDE open Jimmy Graham frantically waving his arms to no avail.Well, well, well....

pbmax
12-12-2019, 08:27 AM
I think both these Tweets are true and are indicative of the problems both on defense and offense.

Video: https://twitter.com/The_Green_Gold/status/1204815576776007680

Eye In The Sky @The_Green_Gold
Blake Martinez played one of his best games in 2019 vs Washington. Players get paid for high potential not past statistics.
These are the plays that highlight Blake Martinez’s Limited Athleticism. Unblocked athletic players clean this run for a 1 yard gain.

On the Game Day thread. I commented that Ponch cut behind blockers to catch Guice and couldn't catch him. Which is true. He doesn't have the speed to pull this off outside against a speedy back. Unless he gets help, which he does not. Which brings us to point #2:

10-3 @PackFan559
The gap Guice ran through is not even Blake’s responsibility. It’s Goodson’s. Blake is backside and responsible for the cutback. If Goodson sheds his block and gets into his gap, the running back will cutback right into Blake. Blake played his assignment perfectly.

When your ILB corp are 4th round picks and street FA, you simply don't have the athleticism to make up for mistakes. Goodson simply fails to make the basic play and Martinez can't make a good one. Hence, 20 yard gain. That is what is missing on defense. And I think its the same with TE and WR on offense.

If the DL had dominated the blocking here, then Goodson and Ponch probably make the tackle.

Fritz
12-12-2019, 10:49 AM
So does this point up the way that Mt. Adams' disappearance has magnified the problems for the ILB's?

I saw an article - for subscribers only - that supposedly discussed what the hell has happened to Mt. Adams and MVS. Did anyone get the upshot of the article? What the hell did happen to Adams? He seemed to be a strong piece of the defense early on, then hurt his shoulder, then came back and was ineffective, and now he hardly plays. Is it as simple as a lingering injury?

pbmax
12-12-2019, 11:03 AM
So does this point up the way that Mt. Adams' disappearance has magnified the problems for the ILB's?

I saw an article - for subscribers only - that supposedly discussed what the hell has happened to Mt. Adams and MVS. Did anyone get the upshot of the article? What the hell did happen to Adams? He seemed to be a strong piece of the defense early on, then hurt his shoulder, then came back and was ineffective, and now he hardly plays. Is it as simple as a lingering injury?

Where was the article? Is Scantron hurt too?

Fosco33
12-12-2019, 12:07 PM
Where was the article? Is Scantron hurt too?

MVS has lost time to Lazard (and Whitewater). I think he only has 10 snaps on Sunday...

MadtownPacker
12-12-2019, 12:18 PM

I saw an article - for subscribers only - that supposedly discussed what the hell has happened to Mt. Adams and MVS. Did anyone get the upshot of the article? What the hell did happen to Adams? He seemed to be a strong piece of the defense early on, then hurt his shoulder, then came back and was ineffective, and now he hardly plays. Is it as simple as a lingering injury?Thats GARBAGE and you should CAN it before you end up with a missing LINK.