PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to have a 2nd favorite team in the NFL?

Fosco33
09-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I've 'liked' watching a few AFC teams over the years (Dolphins when I was younger (late 80's; early 90's); Steelers throughout (they just have that 'packer'like feeling) and more recently the Chargers (local proximity).

Who's your 2nd favorite team if you have one?

Patler
09-11-2006, 02:22 PM
I've 'liked' watching a few AFC teams over the years (Dolphins when I was younger (late 80's; early 90's); Steelers throughout (they just have that 'packer'like feeling) and more recently the Chargers (local proximity).

Isn't that kind of like having a second favorite spouse??? :mrgreen:

red
09-11-2006, 02:29 PM
yeah, you can't cheat on you're team with some other floozey

i say no, you can only have 1 team

pick now

Fosco33
09-11-2006, 02:33 PM

:lol:

That's why I put liked in quotations. I could care less if I missed a game (or 5), but if they're on I'd rather watch them than another team. If they do well, it's fun to watch the playoffs with a little more interest than just a general fan.

Now, I can surely say I've never missed a Packer game in my known life (and very rarely a series or more) - I'm committed to this spouse even if she's looking slow, fat and ugly right now :cool:

Zool
09-11-2006, 03:20 PM

:lol:

That's why I put liked in quotations. I could care less if I missed a game (or 5), but if they're on I'd rather watch them than another team. If they do well, it's fun to watch the playoffs with a little more interest than just a general fan.

Now, I can surely say I've never missed a Packer game in my known life (and very rarely a series or more) - I'm committed to this spouse even if she's looking slow, fat and ugly right now :cool:YOu like to chase your women? Literally?

OS PA
09-11-2006, 03:30 PM
I've always been a Packer fan, and will always be, but I cheer for the Giants whenever they're playing. Now when it comes down to Packers vs. Giants I cheer for the Packers. I don't think there is anything wrong with cheering for more than one team, as long as you aren't a bandwagoner.

AtlPackFan
09-11-2006, 04:17 PM
I cheer for the Falcons.................................to lose!!! :mrgreen:

mission
09-11-2006, 04:18 PM

haha all my friends are falcons fans (understandably) and i might just hop on the bandwagon as a "they are my team unless they're playing the packers" team... it's just hard to get excited though. about anything aside from the green and gold.

Green Bud Packer
09-11-2006, 04:25 PM
i became a raider fan when they were still an a.f.l. team and have followed them since.i bleed green and gold and shit blue and orange.by the way i like the changes to the site.good job mad.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2006, 04:28 PM

I wish you guys wouldn't be so judgemental.

Astonishment
09-11-2006, 04:32 PM
As a Packer fan first and a football fan a close second, I love following other teams,and especially other players. There is never a team I would ever route for that could hurt the Packers, but as an example I have followed Eli Manning the last year and I wanted them to win over the Colts last night (I thought they would win due to how well the Giants played at home last year). I have been following the Bengals for a few years (I just liked alot of thier young talent about 3 years ago), as well as the Jaguars (I thought Leftwich would be great coming out of college - I actually thought the Vikings should have drafted him instead of Williams). Again I would never route for those teams if it hurt the Packers in any way, but because I love the game of football I see nothing wrong with following other players/teams. That said I am only a "fan" of one team.

ahaha
09-11-2006, 04:42 PM

Yeah, they don't understand what you and your family have. If only the world, and that S.O.B. Roman, would let you live in peace and harmony with God.

Patler
09-11-2006, 04:51 PM

Sorry Polygamist Rat. :oops:

Lurker64
09-11-2006, 05:26 PM
I like a fair number of other teams, but don't have anything resembling true loyalty. I'm never going to cheer for anybody to beat the Packers, but I don't see what's wrong with cheering for the Bills to beat the Jets when it doesn't impact Green Bay in any way.

BallHawk
09-11-2006, 05:47 PM
I hate every team besides the Packers, their all our enemies. Look at it like this, the NFL is a war. Now, if there was a war between North America and South America, you would obviously root for North America. But would you kinda root for Chile because you lived there for a year? Hell no. Now if it is the playoffs, then sure you can have a team you're pulling for. Last year I wasn't rooting for any team at the beginning, but after the first two games, I started pulling for the Steelers, just for the Bus' sake, I hate the Steelers' guts usually. I was also rooting for whoever played the Bears. :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
09-11-2006, 05:48 PM
I hate every team besides the Packers, their all our enemies. Look at it like this, the NFL is a war. Now, if there was a war between North America and South America, you would obviously root for North America. But would you kinda root for Chile because you lived there for a year? Hell no. Now if it is the playoffs, then sure you can have a team you're pulling for. Last year I wasn't rooting for any team at the beginning, but after the first two games, I started pulling for the Steelers, just for the Bus' sake, I hate the Steelers' guts usually. I was also rooting for whoever played the Bears. :mrgreen:

Don't we all always root for whoever plays the bears?

Fosco33
09-11-2006, 05:50 PM

Don't we all always root for whoever plays the bears?

Bears= N.Korea, Iran, and Iraq combined....

The question is more - if France and Italy are at a war, I want Italy to whoop 'em (the Packers being America's team - and there's a bye week).

Interesting how this poll is playing out through - neck and neck....

BallHawk
09-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Of course, MJ. :D

TennesseePackerBacker
09-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Thou shalt not worship false idols

any team besides the pack, are false idols

MadtownPacker
09-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Great post BH!!

My second "favorites" teams change weekly.

Its alway the three playing the bears, vikings, and lions!

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Hell no! (Except what Mad said.)

In any other sport? Yes. In the NFL? No. You can admire other teams for various reasons, but no "second favorite." That's just my creed.

Rastak
09-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Hell no! (Except what Mad said.)

In any other sport? Yes. In the NFL? No.

Mad nailed it.

KYPack
09-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Some of us don't live in WI.

I live in the Cinci area & root for the Bengals.

Very rarely is there much conflict, although there are years like '91 (7 victories btw both teams).

it's OK, I don't ever root against the Pack, but I have a good knowlege of the AFC. It does get me in wierd situations when I show up at a Bengal game in my Pack gear. My Bengal fan buds accuse me of being a traitor, but I don't give a shit.

Both teams have rarely been Super Bowl contenders at th4e same time '89 was intersting, tho.)

MadtownPacker
09-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Mad nailed it.

You root against the vikings too???? :shock:

woodbuck27
09-11-2006, 09:02 PM
I LIVED, BREATHED AND SHIT - esp. on days like today. . .

the GREEN BAY PACKERS - 365 DAYS A YEAR, since 1959.

Picking up a second team after "the Pack" has been eliminated from the playoff's. Is like being invited to an all night Bar B Q, and the host says PLEASE don't bring anything to drink as I've got lots to serve ya.

So you arrive at the hosts word and your served one beer all evening long.

swede
09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
...i bleed green and gold and shit blue and orange...

You might want to try some herbal tea buddy

Fosco33
09-11-2006, 09:41 PM
I LIVED, BREATHED AND SHIT - esp. on days like today. . .

the GREEN BAY PACKERS - 365 DAYS A YEAR, since 1959.

Picking up a second team after "the Pack" has been eliminated from the playoff's. Is like being invited to an all night Bar B Q, and the host says PLEASE don't bring anything to drink as I've got lots to serve ya.

So you arrive at the hosts word and your served one beer all evening long.

LOL. It's like the vision of Heaven/Hell story...

Just wondering, woody - how many times have you been to Lambeau and what was your favorite game in person?

swede
09-11-2006, 09:48 PM
I've always been a Packer fan, and will always be, but I cheer for the Giants whenever they're playing. Now when it comes down to Packers vs. Giants I cheer for the Packers. I don't think there is anything wrong with cheering for more than one team, as long as you aren't a bandwagoner.

Bill Cowher is such a great figurehead as a coach. I like the way his Pittsburgh teams play. I'm very loyal to Pittsburgh and will be as long as Cowher is around.

But there is no conflict during games between GB and Pburgh. Not even a twinge of happiness if they win or pity if they lose.

Like fantasy football and pretending to water the grass with a hose when your hot neighbor chick moves the lawn furniture around in a bikini, your second favorite team is just another way to keep it interesting.

muzz
09-12-2006, 01:34 AM
Well under the thread TITLE, I figured I was allowed to post here, but then I saw the insert that mentioned AFTER the Pack.... Hmmmmmmmm

Well I'm gonna answer anyway...

My Home team is the NE Patriots, I have ALWAYS loved the Pats ( even when they SUCKED goat ballz...My father/ brothers were maniacs).

Obviously things are going pretty well in NE now, so life is good, BUT it wasn't always that way......
I suffered through a shitbags worth of lousy teams, with players in the papers doing dumb shit like harrassing women reporters etc, really pathetic stuff.......

I never really had a 2nd favorite team, UNTIL the Pack beat my beloved team in the 96 SB, and I have been a big fan since.

Hopefully GB Fans get what they deserve, which is a solid team, with a chance to win every game, thats obviously the job of upper management...
Unfortunately they don't seem to be making the right moves, OR instituting the right coaching.. either way, I am dismayed at this storied franchises direction at this time...

Hopefully I'm wrong, and TT/MM are geniuses, and Favre returns to his 3800+ - 30+ td ways, Green runs like the the wind, Drivers hauls in 100/1300+, and Jennings wins the ROTY award !!

I love the Pack fellas, hang in there, I'm here to tell ya that it WILL get better!!

m

Fosco33
09-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Well under the thread TITLE, I figured I was allowed to post here, but then I saw the insert that mentioned AFTER the Pack.... Hmmmmmmmm

Well I'm gonna answer anyway...

My Home team is the NE Patriots, I have ALWAYS loved the Pats ( even when they SUCKED goat ballz...My father/ brothers were maniacs).

Obviously things are going pretty well in NE now, so life is good, BUT it wasn't always that way......
I suffered through a shitbags worth of lousy teams, with players in the papers doing dumb shit like harrassing women reporters etc, really pathetic stuff.......

I never really had a 2nd favorite team, UNTIL the Pack beat my beloved team in the 96 SB, and I have been a big fan since.

Hopefully GB Fans get what they deserve, which is a solid team, with a chance to win every game, thats obviously the job of upper management...
Unfortunately they don't seem to be making the right moves, OR instituting the right coaching.. either way, I am dismayed at this storied franchises direction at this time...

Hopefully I'm wrong, and TT/MM are geniuses, and Favre returns to his 3800+ - 30+ td ways, Green runs like the the wind, Drivers hauls in 100/1300+, and Jennings wins the ROTY award !!

I love the Pack fellas, hang in there, I'm here to tell ya that it WILL get better!!

m

Thanks m, BTW - you could win avatar of the week with that a$$.

Fosco33
09-12-2006, 09:38 AM
OT - but that was a nice win by the Chargers yesterday. I loved the postgame w/ Rivers on ESPN saying that his 'trash talking' with Sapp was b/c he loved watching Brett do it while he was growing up :lol:

Poor Art Shell but screw Da Raidas... they looked worse than the Packers - not much worse but still we're not #32....

oregonpackfan
09-12-2006, 12:49 PM
I am first, foremost, and always, a Packer fan! On a loyalty scale of 1-10,
I have a 10 in loyalty to the Packers.

Now that I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for 16 years, I occasionally watch the Seattle Seahawks and wish them well. They might get a 2 or 3 on my scale. In a Seahawks vs. Packers game, my cheers are AALWAYS for the Packers as they will be this coming November 27th.

I am neutral towards most teams though I despise the Vikings, Raiders, and Bears.

OPF

KYPack
09-12-2006, 09:13 PM
OT - but that was a nice win by the Chargers yesterday. I loved the postgame w/ Rivers on ESPN saying that his 'trash talking' with Sapp was b/c he loved watching Brett do it while he was growing up :lol:

Poor Art Shell but screw Da Raidas... they looked worse than the Packers - not much worse but still we're not #32....

Mebbe you invented the PR Cheer...

"We're 31, We're 31"!

Tough to hold up 31 fingers, tho.

MJZiggy
09-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Tough to hold up 31 fingers, tho.

Teamwork, my friend, teamwork! :razz:

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-12-2006, 10:23 PM
How can you turly love the packers and have another favorite team. It just doesn't make sense to me. :crazy:

Astonishment
09-13-2006, 01:25 PM
I think there is a key that everyone is missing. The question wasn't do you have another "favorite" team, but rather do you like/follow another team. You can't by definition have another "favorite" team, but IMO there is nothing wrong with following other teams. If you are solely a Green Bay Packers fan than that makes sence, but if you are a football fan as well there is nothing wrong with following other teams.

ahaha
09-13-2006, 01:55 PM
This topic is kinda silly. I can understand how some people will say no, but they're just saying that to proudly display their obsession for the Packers. How can you not root for other teams? Any true Packer fan loves the sport and loves the NFL. How boring all the other games would be if you didn't care one way or the other which team won?

SudsMcBucky
09-13-2006, 02:09 PM

haha all my friends are falcons fans (understandably) and i might just hop on the bandwagon as a "they are my team unless they're playing the packers" team... it's just hard to get excited though. about anything aside from the green and gold.

I cheer for the Falcons against anyone but the Pack. Afterall, I am a season ticket holder!

wist43
09-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Chargers...

I was born there - we moved when I was very young.

Badgepack
09-13-2006, 02:27 PM
I tend to always root for the underdog watching any sport that doesn't involve "my" teams (Unless Cowboys, Vikings, Bears).

This also works pretty well for the Packers the past few years.

Deputy Nutz
09-13-2006, 02:33 PM
I really like that Pats, and I will even root for the Giants. Next to Favre, LT was and is my favorite player of all time.