PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 16 @ Minnesota

pbmax
12-23-2019, 10:49 PM
Jamal Williams hurt. 3 turnovers versus 1 Vike miscue. On the road in a stadium that has not been kind to them.

But Packers D was stout all game, Packer O was gaining yardage all game.

Once they got out of their own way, it got a lot easier. Crazy to win against that opponent with a 3-1 turnover disadvantage.

We will cover the debate over O line responsibility for the Rodgers insta-sack tomorrow as I have not found video or pics.

Great road win.

Gotarace
12-23-2019, 10:54 PM
Nice to see the Packers using the Center of the Field on Offense...The D Played Lights Out all Evening

Joemailman
12-23-2019, 10:57 PM
https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_editorial_landscape_8_desktop_mobile/f_auto/packers/qgmbkwb24m0s7mljka3o.jpg

Joemailman
12-23-2019, 10:58 PM
Nice to see the Packers using the Center of the Field on Offense...The D Played Lights Out all Evening

Lazard runs a nice slant.

beveaux1
12-23-2019, 10:59 PM
https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_editorial_landscape_8_desktop_mobile/f_auto/packers/qgmbkwb24m0s7mljka3o.jpg
How come Fackrel is missing?

pbmax
12-23-2019, 11:01 PM
Football Perspective @fbgchase

The Packers have won two games during the Aaron Rodgers era when he hasn’t thrown a touchdown but has thrown an interception.

2010 NFC Championship Game vs. the Bears

Tonight against the Vikings

KYPack
12-23-2019, 11:03 PM
Jamal Williams hurt. 3 turnovers versus 1 Vike miscue. On the road in a stadium that has not been kind to them.

But Packers D was stout all game, Packer O was gaining yardage all game.

Once they got out of their own way, it got a lot easier. Crazy to win against that opponent with a 3-1 turnover disadvantage.

We will cover the debate over O line responsibility for the Rodgers insta-sack tomorrow as I have not found video or pics.

Great road win.

Linsley is guilty of having the most guilty expression on his face post play that I've ever seen.

Jenkins with two solid blocks at the second level on Jonesey's 51 yard run. God we were stupid to draft the best rookie OL in the NFL. We could have had another green WR that doesn't know what he's doing.

pbmax
12-23-2019, 11:03 PM
Next Gen Stats @NextGenStats

No player has created more QB disruptions this season than Za'Darius Smith (81).

This was @TheRealZSmith's 6th game with at least 7+ QB disruptions (QB pressure, hurry, or sack), the most in the NFL.

#GBvsMIN | #GoPackGo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EMhr7DrUcAA6_yd?format=jpg&name=small

Zool
12-23-2019, 11:04 PM
I counted 7 passes between the numbers, and a slant! Guess that old dog learned a new trick.

pbmax
12-23-2019, 11:09 PM
Frosty!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EMhp_zhUwAAz5-X?format=jpg&name=small

Joemailman
12-23-2019, 11:12 PM
4 straight wins.

4 straight games allowing less than 20 points.

run pMc
12-23-2019, 11:20 PM
Vikes going without Cook and Mattison at RB and losing Kendricks really hurt them, but they were off all night. Cousins never looked comfortable. Credit the defense for playing tough defense -- especially when backed up by the early turnovers. If the Vikings get more than 10 off those it could have been a much different game. If you told me the turnover margin woudl be 3-1 at US Bank, I'd have thought MIN would win 34-10.

Thielen's hamstring must be Packeresque -- he was basically a non-factor, which is weird. Also seems like they took Rudolph away as well. Cousins didn't have a lot of time to throw; Z was a monster.

Overall I think GB just controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, and once they stopped getting in their own way it was going to pay dividends.

HarveyWallbangers
12-23-2019, 11:50 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/LilySZhao/status/1209330031425658880

Preston Smith: You Like That

bobblehead
12-23-2019, 11:51 PM
Football Perspective @fbgchase

The Packers have won two games during the Aaron Rodgers era when he hasn’t thrown a touchdown but has thrown an interception.

2010 NFC Championship Game vs. the Bears

Tonight against the Vikings

So both times we won the Owl that year!!!

Freak Out
12-23-2019, 11:55 PM
Frosty!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EMhp_zhUwAAz5-X?format=jpg&name=small

Had to laugh at that. Sore loser.

George Cumby
12-24-2019, 12:02 AM
Linsley is guilty of having the most guilty expression on his face post play that I've ever seen.

Jenkins with two solid blocks at the second level on Jonesey's 51 yard run. God we were stupid to draft the best rookie OL in the NFL. We could have had another green WR that doesn't know what he's doing.

lol.

I saw that on the replay, it was a scrum in there and he was just getting in everyone's way but Jones.

Bossman641
12-24-2019, 12:13 AM
Maybe we have a chance after all? I have no effin clue. NFL literally feels like any team can lose at any time.

George Cumby
12-24-2019, 12:15 AM
Vikings Fans are amazing. From comments on PFT post on Packers winning tonight:

"endtimesparty says:
December 23, 2019 at 11:41 pm

Very encouraging — very PROMISING — showing by the Vikes. Adjusting expectations after unavailability of Cook, you have to ask yourself — what do you look for in a team that could make noise in the postseason and years to come? Well, for one, we like that QB sensation Cousins completed 16 passes against 15 that failed to connect. That’s over 50%.

We like that the Vikings forced 3 first half takeaways en route to essentially winning both the 1st quarter and the first half, 10-9. We like that the Vike D stonewalled Rogers on a 1st and G at the 1 to preserve the first half victory.

So watch out, NFC field. And watch out, Packers. These Vikes will be a tough out in January and, who knows? February?"

texaspackerbacker
12-24-2019, 12:48 AM
It seems like the Packers are peaking at the right time while a lot of the competition is fading. The Vikings are just keeping up a long tradition of late season floundering - how sweet it is. I never had much respect for Cousins. The much maligned Trubisky will end up being better than him IMO.

It's weird how the Packers D was so great at the start of the season, then they pretty much took 8 or 10 weeks off, and now they are back - seemingly all the way back. I hated it when Pettine was just dropping a lot of people into coverage and seemingly giving up on the pass rush. Tonight, he rushed hard - and mostly without blitzing. Part of it was Cousins' ineptitude, but mostly it was good D.

This was a major puzzle piece. Now we have to take care of business against Detroit and hope Seattle can rise up against the Niners. I wonder if Beast Mode still has anything in the tank.

mmmdk
12-24-2019, 05:03 AM
Great win, great defense...I'm still not sold on the offense though but I'm loving this Packers season.

Fritz
12-24-2019, 06:45 AM
That was a most satisfying kind of win. God I love watching a Packer defense play like that. I don't know if I've seen a Packer front seven simply manhandle an opponent's offensive line like that since Reggie White & Company had that lovely Super Bowl year in the late nineties. Yes, Cook was out, and that really hurt the Vikes, but man, I love watching the Packers play defense that well. Way better than watching something like those 2011 Packers. Even though they could score at will, so could the other team.

I hope this defense can keep this level of play up. Into Detroit and beyond. Cousins was hapless and helpless back there - and Pettine didn't even have to blitz.

Nothing is as satisfying as watching your team play defense at that level. Gives you a lot of confidence.

ThunderDan
12-24-2019, 07:34 AM
We crushed the Vikings. It was a great game to watch.

We had 13 drives in the game (not counting the kneel downs to win) and only punted 4 times. The O played really well. The turnovers are the only thing that kept the score respectable. We had 5 scoring drives and had the ball 15 minutes more than Vikings.

This team looked nothing like the team that played the last 4 weeks. If the Packers continue to play like this they have a legitimate shot at the Superb Owl.

George Cumby
12-24-2019, 07:37 AM
^
^^

What those guys said.

pbmax
12-24-2019, 07:58 AM
Vikings Fans are amazing. From comments on PFT post on Packers winning tonight:

"endtimesparty says:
December 23, 2019 at 11:41 pm

Very encouraging — very PROMISING — showing by the Vikes. Adjusting expectations after unavailability of Cook, you have to ask yourself — what do you look for in a team that could make noise in the postseason and years to come? Well, for one, we like that QB sensation Cousins completed 16 passes against 15 that failed to connect. That’s over 50%.

We like that the Vikings forced 3 first half takeaways en route to essentially winning both the 1st quarter and the first half, 10-9. We like that the Vike D stonewalled Rogers on a 1st and G at the 1 to preserve the first half victory.

So watch out, NFC field. And watch out, Packers. These Vikes will be a tough out in January and, who knows? February?"

We should recruit that guy.

Harlan Huckleby
12-24-2019, 08:13 AM
https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_editorial_landscape_8_desktop_mobile/f_auto/packers/qgmbkwb24m0s7mljka3o.jpgHow come Fackrel is missing?

Who's that college kid pointing his finger in air?

HarveyWallbangers
12-24-2019, 09:03 AM
Too bright :)

Another reason to feel good was the maturation of the running game. Jones and Jamaal Williams have given opponents something else to worry about. Load up to stop the pass and deal with the consequences. Open your mouth too wide, and also deal with the consequences, a lesson Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr was taught after verbally taunting Jones after Jones fumbled to start the game.

According to Jones, Barr followed the turnover by saying: "The lights are too bright for you. Get off the field. You're sorry."

"That definitely got me going," said Jones, who has run for 339 yards and five touchdowns over his last three games.

In an interesting twist, Jones' long score came the play after Barr left the field with an injury. It gave Jones 16 rushing touchdowns this season, three off the franchise record.

Cheesehead Craig
12-24-2019, 09:04 AM
Agree with the comments on how satisfying the win was. Don't want to hear about how Cook mattered so much. If Cook is the reason that the offense can't get over a 140 yards, and their defense couldn't stop the Packers from staying on the field for almost 38 minutes then the Vikings have a serious problem with how their team is built a la how we found out when Rodgers went down.

esoxx
12-24-2019, 09:14 AM
I can smell a Super Bowel coming our way.

Teamcheez1
12-24-2019, 09:23 AM
I loved the win and found the defensive effort exciting. Aaron Jones and the O Line were fantastic. Rodgers and the receiving corps were not appreciably better than Cousins and company.

George Cumby
12-24-2019, 09:39 AM
I can smell a Super Bowel coming our way.

Is that like when you have a great poop in the morning and are Walking on Sunshine the rest of the day?

SMBASS
12-24-2019, 09:39 AM
Agree with the comments on how satisfying the win was. Don't want to hear about how Cook mattered so much. If Cook is the reason that the offense can't get over a 140 yards, and their defense couldn't stop the Packers from staying on the field for almost 38 minutes then the Vikings have a serious problem with how their team is built a la how we found out when Rodgers went down.

Exactly! We've had to endure so many injuries over the past few years I don't want to hear that shit excuse. The NFL is a game of attrition and getting the most out of who you have available is a big part of it. Luckily we've been extremely healthy this year.

SMBASS
12-24-2019, 10:17 AM
Allen Lazard

3 clutch 3rd down catches and blocked like a madman last night. Watched him quite a bit at Iowa State where he was a good player so I'm glad to see him take advantage of his opportunities and come through this year. Could be a fantastic #3 receiver with Adams and a legit #2 with speed to stretch the field. Kid has proven he belongs in the big show.

bobblehead
12-24-2019, 10:51 AM
A commitment to the run in the first quarter through the foirth paid off. Idon't think anyone can tell me that running only matters to kill the clock with a lead. We gassed that defense and drown them at the end

esoxx
12-24-2019, 11:07 AM
Is that like when you have a great poop in the morning and are Walking on Sunshine the rest of the day?

I've been calling it the Super Bowel for some time now as game usually doesn't live up to the hype and turns out to be shitty game. Last years Bowel and Sea/Den a few recent examples.

Some people call it the Superb Owl.

I'm just hoping a Bowel comes our way.

Freak Out
12-24-2019, 01:13 PM
Too bright :)

Happy to see Barr leave the field with an injury. Fuck that guy.

Vincenzo
12-24-2019, 02:08 PM
Happy to see Barr leave the field with an injury. Fuck that guy.
Lol it’s true.

KYPack
12-24-2019, 02:48 PM
Happy to see Barr leave the field with an injury. Fuck that guy.Winner. I knew I needed a "Viking I hate".

There's a lot of them I respect and admire.

Harrison Smith, Thielen, Zim (espec Zim).

That's bullshit.

Barr is my new hate guy.

Him, him, fuck him.

Zool
12-24-2019, 03:52 PM

The cherry on top is when it’s before your shower and not after.

Freak Out
12-24-2019, 05:21 PM
Winner. I knew I needed a "Viking I hate".

There's a lot of them I respect and admire.

Harrison Smith, Thielen, Zim (espec Zim).

That's bullshit.

Barr is my new hate guy.

Him, him, fuck him.

I used to respect Zim but watching his "Handshake" with M4 changed that a bit. He was embarrassed but suck it up and show a bit of respect to the new kid.

Freak Out
12-24-2019, 05:22 PM
The cherry on top is when it’s before your shower and not after.
Oh yes.

woodbuck27
12-24-2019, 08:40 PM
Allen Lazard

3 clutch 3rd down catches and blocked like a madman last night. Watched him quite a bit at Iowa State where he was a good player so I'm glad to see him take advantage of his opportunities and come through this year. Could be a fantastic #3 receiver with Adams and a legit #2 with speed to stretch the field. Kid has proven he belongs in the big show.

I'm a happy fan of his play as well.

woodbuck27
12-24-2019, 08:47 PM
As Packer fan I'm inspired that Lafleur and Aaron Rodgers are on the same page.

I wished we might get a legit No. 2 WR.

texaspackerbacker
12-25-2019, 01:11 AM
As Packer fan I'm inspired that Lafleur and Aaron Rodgers are on the same page.

I wished we might get a legit No. 2 WR.

hahahahahaha I'm damn thankful that LaFleur has come around to doing so many things Rodgers' way - that and the fact that we actually have a RB(s) that make run first not so hard to take.

I've come around to the idea of drafting a WR in about the second round too - that or signing a quality FA.

scharpcheddar
12-25-2019, 04:01 AM
put your cheese back in your pants , people.
the Packers are still a team who lost to SF 37-8and scored 11 vs Chargers. Its not the Packers year and leading the nfc north is no better than leading nfc east

Fritz
12-25-2019, 06:23 AM
the Packers are still a team who lost to SF 37-8and scored 11 vs Chargers. Its not the Packers year and leading the nfc north is no better than leading nfc east

I get what you're saying, but I spend about 90 % of my time on this site thinking the Packers aren't as good as the other team, or will fall into a trap of complacency against a team like the Lions. That Monday night victory was one of the sweetest we've had in a while, especially the way the defense smothered Minnesota - so I'm going to enjoy that Christmas gift.

Bretsky
12-25-2019, 05:26 PM
I get what you're saying, but I spend about 90 % of my time on this site thinking the Packers aren't as good as the other team, or will fall into a trap of complacency against a team like the Lions. That Monday night victory was one of the sweetest we've had in a while, especially the way the defense smothered Minnesota - so I'm going to enjoy that Christmas gift.

VERY TRUE

I've been thinking for weeks Green Bay is a step down from the two elite teams and a half step down from team #3 in Seattle. I also thought Minnesota would defeat us handily last week and help prove that GB is a playoff team but no threat there.

the NFL is an emotional roller coaster, but GB has earned more respect from me based on their last win.

No I don't think GB is going to New Orleans OR San Fran and winning; but if they can get homefield they have a real shot to get back to the Super Bowl if the road comes through GB.

I too an enjoying the win !!!!!!

bobblehead
12-26-2019, 08:02 AM

You remind me of so many posters in the past who can only see one possible outcome and its always negative. Must suck to go through life that way. I had this same debate with some idiot who's handle I can't recall in 2010. It went on much longer, but the basis was the same. Trolls gonna troll and when you have 166 lifetime posts and show up at this point to be negative, it speaks volumes.

ThunderDan
12-26-2019, 08:26 AM
You remind me of so many posters in the past who can only see one possible outcome and its always negative. Must suck to go through life that way. I had this same debate with some idiot who's handle I can't recall in 2010. It went on much longer, but the basis was the same. Trolls gonna troll and when you have 166 lifetime posts and show up at this point to be negative, it speaks volumes.

I was thinking that Rbaloha had signed up with a new account after he got banned or whatever happened to him. He was the 579 poster.

pbmax
12-26-2019, 08:56 AM

It was nice not seeing Cousins just go off.

Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass
Date Tm Opp Result Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Sk Yds Y/A AY/A
2016-11-20 WAS GNB W 42-24 21 30 70.00 375 3 0 145.8 2 11 12.50 14.50
2018-11-25 MIN GNB W 24-17 29 38 76.32 342 3 0 129.5 2 17 9.00 10.58
2018-09-16 MIN GNB T 29-29 35 48 72.92 425 4 1 118.8 2 13 8.85 9.58
2016-01-10 WAS GNB L 18-35 29 46 63.04 329 1 0 91.7 6 59 7.15 7.59
2019-12-23 MIN GNB L 10-23 16 31 51.61 122 1 1 58.8 5 40 3.94 3.13
2019-09-15 MIN GNB L 16-21 14 32 43.75 230 1 2 52.9 1 7 7.19 5.00

Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com (https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool): View Original Table (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&player_id=CousKi00&year_min=1950&year_max=2019&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos%5B%5D=QB&pos%5B%5D=WR&pos%5B%5D=RB&pos%5B%5D=TE&pos%5B%5D=OL&pos%5B%5D=DL&pos%5B%5D=LB&pos%5B%5D=DB&is_starter=E&game_type=E&opp_id=gnb&career_game_num_min=1&career_game_num_max=400&qb_start_num_min=1&qb_start_num_max=400&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&c5val=1.0&order_by=pass_rating&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#results)
Generated 12/26/2019.

run pMc
12-26-2019, 03:20 PM
It was nice not seeing Cousins just go off.It was nice not seeing Cousins just go off.
Interesting to see that Cousins' two worst performances vs. GB were this year. Then again, Pettine got some big upgrades in the Smiths + Amos.

call_me_ishmael
12-27-2019, 12:03 AM
I don't watch a lot of the games, but it seems to me that the Packers consistently do well when Aaron Jones gets the ball a lot. I'd like to see the Packers continue to keep defenses on their toes with alignments and how they intend to feed Jones. I'd like to see them even work in some i-formation stuff and use him out of the flat, angle routes, etc. Different stuff to keep DBs off him.

They looked like a contender on Monday night. Z'Darius clearly looked PO'd about the pro bowl vote!

run pMc
12-27-2019, 08:56 AM
I've come around to the idea of drafting a WR in about the second round too - that or signing a quality FA.

I've been thinking this since before Adams got hurt, and nothing has really changed for me. They have proven they can win with Adams and the UDFA gang at WR, but to really make the offense hum they need to give Rodgers more talent. (Jimmy Graham was supposed to help but he's well past his prime.) 2020 draft is supposed to be deep at WR so I'd be very disappointed if they don't draft at least one if not two WRs.

texaspackerbacker
12-27-2019, 11:11 AM
A really good post there, pMc. Excellent use of that quote hahahaha.

run pMc
12-27-2019, 04:25 PM
^ LOL

gbgary
12-27-2019, 04:31 PM
rodgers' contract gets restructured to create more cap room next year...https://thespun.com/nfl/aaron-rodgers-contract-bonuses-packers-cap-room-2020-free-agency

pbmax
12-27-2019, 05:37 PM
The maneuver would seem to indicate they won’t sign one of their top players, such as nose tackle Kenny Clark or linebacker Blake Martinez, to an extension before the season ends. The deadline for applying money from a contract extension or moving money from future years of an existing contract into the ’19 cap is Saturday at 3 p.m.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/12/27/green-bay-packers-adjust-aaron-rodgers-contract-clear-2020-salary-cap-space/2757814001/

Zool
12-29-2019, 11:58 AM
https://i.redd.it/xk0tm041hh741.jpg

beveaux1
12-29-2019, 03:45 PM
https://i.redd.it/xk0tm041hh741.jpg

LOL.