PDA

View Full Version : Official On To Detroit Week

pbmax
12-25-2019, 09:51 AM
From Reddit:

https://i.redd.it/7sbu0uvf1m641.png

Fritz
12-25-2019, 12:08 PM
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/12/24/nfl-playoffs-detroit-lions-packers-saints-fan-matt-bowers/2744705001/

Some extra motivation for Detroit. Well, for the QB.

Also, no Ashawn Robinson or Rick Wagner for this one. Out, like the 16 other guys on IR for the Lions. My 83 year old mom might come out of the stands and suit up if anyone else gets hurt for them.

But Kerryon Johnson will play. What a dumb organization.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-25-2019, 02:43 PM
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/12/24/nfl-playoffs-detroit-lions-packers-saints-fan-matt-bowers/2744705001/

Some extra motivation for Detroit. Well, for the QB.

Also, no Ashawn Robinson or Rick Wagner for this one. Out, like the 16 other guys on IR for the Lions. My 83 year old mom might come out of the stands and suit up if anyone else gets hurt for them.

But Kerryon Johnson will play. What a dumb organization.

They oughta also sit 11, Joey Galloway. Dude made King his bitch they last time both teams met.

As the Detroit Free Press, yet another wally asset of the Gannett Empire, likes to say, Lions should #PlayLikeDungforYoung. Chase Young is better than the Bosas b/c he’s full-blooded black, according to Todd McShay.

Joemailman
12-26-2019, 05:58 AM
Aaron Jones needs 16 rushing yards for 1000 for the season.

Davante Adams needs 96 receiving yards for 1000 the season.

Aaron Rodgers has 24 TD passes.His previous low when he plays in all 16 games was 25 in 2018. He had 3679 passing yards. His previous low for a 16 game season was 3821 in 2015.

Radagast
12-26-2019, 08:03 AM
No matter the records or the stakes, a division game is always filled with more risk. Division teams know each other best and home ground/crowd can be irrelevant. Never take a division rival for granted or they will bite you in the rear.

GB should beat Detroit easily. Resting starters should, IMO, only take place in the second half provided the packers have at least a 4 score lead. Aditionally, more passes to WRs can only help as GB readies for the playoffs.

Fosco33
12-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Our recent record vs Det should be motivation enough to not look past this game w/ all that’s at stake. Short week, Xmas day off, etc... classic trap game scenario.

texaspackerbacker
12-26-2019, 10:33 AM
Good Point, Fosco. Bad as they are, the Lions seem to get fired up against the Packers, and the Packers could be due for a letdown.

Just the same, the Lions really are bad with a crappy 3rd string QB (their 2nd stringer, Driskel looked decent). Also, losing and enhancing their draft position would help them a lot more than a win.

pbmax
12-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
#Packers coach Matt LaFleur: Taday is two walk-throughs. Morning is install and this afternoon they're going to do situational meetings and then a walk-through. Will be a late day for the players after skipping practice Wednesday.

LaFleur said having #Vikings punch the ball out against #Packers is on tape and once it's on tape everyone is going to try it. "We have to be mindful of it. That had a huge impact on the game."

LaFleur said "this week is a playoff game for us." They're playing for a week off in the playoffs and they're expecting a physical game from the #Lions.

LaFleur said that if RB Jamaal Williams can't play he would be able to rely on Danny Vitale and Dexter Williams to fill the void. But he said Tyler Ervin showed last week he can add something because he's so explosive. He just hasn't been in the offense as long as the others.

LaFleur said he can see #Lions defense is physical and still playing hard. Said rash of injuries they've had can be devastating but they've managed to play close games. "We know we're going to get their best shot," he said.

run pMc
12-26-2019, 03:31 PM
DET will be fired up to play. Home division game, they will probably be out for a little redemption after the controversial calls leading to the loss earlier this season.
They are banged up and some guys will have the cars running in the lot, but I think most want to put good plays on tape.
Patricia will have the D fired up and ready to throw a punch. I think GB has better health, more talent, and with playoff seeding more to play for than DET does...so they will punch back.

Vincenzo
12-26-2019, 04:52 PM
The stat that stands out most in this game is the Lions are the 32nd ranked team vs the pass.
Rodgers should gain confidence with his passing game.

Joemailman
12-26-2019, 05:19 PM
Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis with the call.

https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2019&wk=17

https://506sports.com/2019/17-FOX-E-V2.png

HarveyWallbangers
12-26-2019, 05:29 PM
Kind of interesting to look through some of the defensive stats:

Opponent completion % - 4th
Passing TDs allowed - 5th
Interceptions - 4th
Opponent QB rating - 7th

40+ yard pass plays allowed - 30th
Yards/pass play - 22nd

Down to down this is a very good pass defense, but we've given up an inordinate amount of big plays. Might be attributable to youth.

Rushing yards/game - 22nd
Rushing yards/attempt - 23rd

20+ yard rushing plays - 4th

We give up chunks of yards, but limit the big runs. Run defense seems to be appreciably better since Kenny Clark got over his injury.

Joemailman
12-26-2019, 05:38 PM
Kind of interesting to look through some of the defensive stats:

Opponent completion % - 4th
Passing TDs allowed - 5th
Interceptions - 4th
Opponent QB rating - 7th

40+ yard pass plays allowed - 30th
Yards/pass play - 22nd

Down to down this is a very good pass defense, but we've given up an inordinate amount of big plays. Might be attributable to youth.

Rushing yards/game - 22nd
Rushing yards/attempt - 23rd

20+ yard rushing plays - 4th

We give up chunks of yards, but limit the big runs. Run defense seems to be appreciably better since Kenny Clark got over his injury.

Under Pettine Packers will likely never be a great run defense. It's not a big priority with Pettine. He's pretty open about that.

“I think you have to be sound against the run, but you lose a heck of a lot faster when you’re giving up chunks in the pass game.”

As long as Packers are stopping the big runs, I suspect he's pretty happy.

HowardRoark
12-26-2019, 10:30 PM
Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis with the call.

https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2019&wk=17

https://506sports.com/2019/17-FOX-E-V2.png

Thanks for posting this information.....it’s always interesting looking at the maps. That Philadelphia map is interesting; the North Dakota/Carson Wentz makes sense, but why down by Springfield and Urbana (IL)?

texaspackerbacker
12-27-2019, 12:03 AM
Isn't the green Vikings v Bears?

Joemailman
12-27-2019, 12:07 AM
Isn't the green Vikings v Bears?

Yes. Howard was talking about the map for the late games on Fox. Click the link I provided for all the maps.

pbmax
12-27-2019, 08:25 AM
Under Pettine Packers will likely never be a great run defense. It's not a big priority with Pettine. He's pretty open about that.

As long as Packers are stopping the big runs, I suspect he's pretty happy.

So if they can stop the big chunk pass plays, they'll get doing fine.

And it does seem to have gotten better.

run pMc
12-27-2019, 08:51 AM
Matthew Stafford, being a good guy.
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lions-matthew-stafford-wife-christmas-surprise

run pMc
12-27-2019, 08:53 AM
So if they can stop the big chunk pass plays, they'll get doing fine.

And it does seem to have gotten better.

I wonder if this is due to King staying healthy, Savage getting seasoning, Amos moving away from the 2nd ILB role. It could also be they have played some crappy offenses the last few weeks, but it seems like there has been better coverage and I'd attribute that to fewer mental errors and better communication.

texaspackerbacker
12-27-2019, 10:28 AM
You left out the number one reason: outstanding pass rush.

I still don't have much faith in King for man coverage, and even Alexander seems to have taken a step back this season. Savage is getting better, and having Ibrahim, which puts Amos back deep seems to help a lot. That last one coincides with the Packers' late season improvement on D.

Still though, it is all made possible by the tough pass rush. We had it early; We had it late; For some odd reason, we didn't have it for 8 or 10 weeks mid season, and then we couldn't cover on pass plays or stop the run that much either.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2019, 10:33 AM
King has been solid. For a second CB he's pretty good when healthy. Minus the Amari Cooper game, Alexander is playing very well. He just lost his ball skills for some reason. I think one big play will cause a snowball effect for him. Tex is righthat the pass rush is the key though.

I'm sure Pettine is happy with a 18-16 TD/int ratio and 60 completion %. As Joe said, I don't think he cares much if his defense is giving up 4.5 yards/carry as opposed to 4.2 yards/carry--as long as he limits the big runs. Make teams work their way down the field and hope that at some point you get them in a obvious passing down.

George Cumby
12-27-2019, 11:05 AM
King's stats this season:

54 Tackles
1 Sack
1 Forced Fumble
5 Interceptions

I'd rather have Watt, but those are respectable numbers.

pbmax
12-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Its always about pass rush. But when they face good offenses again (thought it would be the Vikes but it wasn't) we might see the DBs tested again more strenuously.

MadtownPacker
12-27-2019, 03:42 PM
The only NFC playoff QB too fear are Brees and Wilson. Wilson is beatable IMO. Brees shredded the niners defense.

Teamcheez1
12-27-2019, 05:03 PM
I’m completely shocked that Mike Daniels is out for the game. He did earn his $8M this year with 9 tackles and 1 sack in 8 games.

George Cumby
12-27-2019, 06:47 PM
The only NFC playoff QB too fear are Brees and Wilson. Wilson is beatable IMO. Brees shredded the niners defense.

You're not afraid of Janeane Garofolo?

pbmax
12-28-2019, 10:08 AM
https://www.packers.com/news/packers-sign-g-lucas-patrick-to-contract-extension

Green Bay Packers @packers
#Packers sign guard @lucaspatrick62 to a contract extension ��

run pMc
12-28-2019, 10:29 AM
#Packers sign guard @lucaspatrick62 to a contract extension ��

Is that why they modified Rodgers' money? :P

pbmax
12-28-2019, 10:30 AM
Is that why they modified Rodgers' money? :P

Probably not. But its not chump change. Future center? Linsley signed through 2020.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
#Packers announce they've signed G/C Lucas Patrick to an extension.

@mattschneidman reports it's 2 years, $3.6M. Not many better beat-the-odds stories in that locker room than Patrick, an undrafted tryout player out of Duke in 2016. Awesome for him. https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/tryout-players-look-to-beat-odds-like-lucas-patrick-did/article_8a1544b5-c502-5876-b17e-21ddae21dd8c.html

Joemailman
12-28-2019, 10:34 AM
Probably not. But its not chump change. Future center? Linsley signed through 2020.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
#Packers announce they've signed G/C Lucas Patrick to an extension.

@mattschneidman reports it's 2 years, $3.6M. Not many better beat-the-odds stories in that locker room than Patrick, an undrafted tryout player out of Duke in 2016. Awesome for him. https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/tryout-players-look-to-beat-odds-like-lucas-patrick-did/article_8a1544b5-c502-5876-b17e-21ddae21dd8c.html

Probably the end for Lane Taylor in Green Bay. Pack can save 4.5M by cutting him in offseason.

pbmax
12-28-2019, 02:50 PM
#Packers release CB Tony Brown.

pbmax
12-28-2019, 03:19 PM
Football Perspective @fbgchase
5 offenses have punted on at least 46% of their drives this season:

Chicago,
Denver
Washington
Green Bay
New York Jets

GOOD THING THEY ARE EFFICIENT IN THE RED ZONE, CAUSE THEY AIN'T GETTING BACK SOON

HarveyWallbangers
12-28-2019, 03:33 PM

Kind of strange what happened to him. I wonder if there was some off the field stuff.

Vincenzo
12-28-2019, 03:45 PM
At the end of this game it should be time to feel overrated.

Fritz
12-28-2019, 04:50 PM
At the end of this game it should be time to feel overrated.

God I hope not. For a Christmas gift, Mrs. Fritz bought us tickets to the game. I don't want to hear the taunts from Lions' fans if the Packers lose.

I do have a decent track record watching the Packers play in Detroit. I saw Majik win on the last play of the game back in the 80's or early 90's when he tried to hit Sterling Sharpe (I think) but Jeff Query caught the ball in the end zone instead. Mrs. Fritz and I also suffered through 59-and-a-half minutes of a dog of a game a few years ago, only to watch Richard Rodgers snag Aaron Rodgers's mighty heave on the last play of the game for the victory. But I've also seen Detroit win at the end of a game back in the 90's.

So - who knows, but it will probably be a very close game.

Bretsky
12-28-2019, 04:53 PM
God I hope not. For a Christmas gift, Mrs. Fritz bought us tickets to the game. I don't want to hear the taunts from Lions' fans if the Packers lose.

I do have a decent track record watching the Packers play in Detroit. I saw Majik win on the last play of the game back in the 80's or early 90's when he tried to hit Sterling Sharpe (I think) but Jeff Query caught the ball in the end zone instead. Mrs. Fritz and I also suffered through 59-and-a-half minutes of a dog of a game a few years ago, only to watch Richard Rodgers snag Aaron Rodgers's mighty heave on the last play of the game for the victory. But I've also seen Detroit win at the end of a game back in the 90's.

If GB loses it's all on you :)))

Teamcheez1
12-28-2019, 06:25 PM

Must be planning something. Are they calling someone up from the practice squad or is Raven Greene on the way back?

Vincenzo
12-28-2019, 07:05 PM

I’ve sat all over Ford Field too, even row 1 on the goal line with Sir Charles with a pick 6 and a Heisman pose in front of us. Have fun Fritz!

pbmax
12-28-2019, 07:37 PM
Must be planning something. Are they calling someone up from the practice squad or is Raven Greene on the way back?

Lot of speculation about Green but I haven't seen anything concrete.