PDA

View Full Version : Where was Nick Collins?

Patler
09-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Not that he played badly, but I am waiting for him to have a "there's Collins again" type of game. You saw Butler every game. I'm hoping Collins can become that, too.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2006, 02:52 PM
I thought he made a few plays, but by the second half I was pretty loaded.
:D

Tarlam!
09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
I listened to most of the first half and I heard "there's Collins again" a few times...

Patler
09-11-2006, 02:58 PM
He had a few tackles, but to me didn't really have an impact on the game.

red
09-11-2006, 03:00 PM
he could have had that int that barnett got

they both had their hands on it, but collins let go so barnett could have it

i did see him make a few nice tackles

Patler
09-11-2006, 03:16 PM
he could have had that int that barnett got

they both had their hands on it, but collins let go so barnett could have it

i did see him make a few nice tackles

I guess what I want to see is him jarring the ball loose for an incompletion, batting the ball down, using his athletic ability to make a play. Not just making a tackle after a completion.

Wasn't everyone in the backfield around the ball on Barnett's int.? :smile:
It looked like a pretty good crowd.
Grossman's only bad throw, as I recall.

red
09-11-2006, 03:19 PM
there were 3 packer players that i saw that could have made that pick

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2006, 03:25 PM
I thought Collins was solid. You can't judge a safety on big plays if they don't come to him. He made some good tackles near the line of scrimmage and didn't give up any completions. I'd guess the coaches were pretty happy with his play yesterday.

Partial
09-11-2006, 03:25 PM
He had a few tackles, but to me didn't really have an impact on the game.

I agree.

Patler
09-11-2006, 03:27 PM
I thought Collins was solid. You can't judge a safety on big plays if they don't come to him.

Actually, for a safety it is more the opposite. He goes to and makes the big play. It doesn't come to him.

Cheesehead Craig
09-11-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't recall him giving up any boneheaded plays either. He had that quiet, solid game. I'd like to have him make some more memorable plays also, but he's the least of our defensive concerns.

Sparkey
09-11-2006, 03:28 PM
There used too be a safety in Green Bay that always seemed to make BIG PLAYS. Usually was near the top in interceptions and usually returned one or two for a touchdown.

The problem was, he took chances to get those + big plays, but also gave up way too many - big plays.

His name ........... Darren Sharper

I would love to hear how Collins intercepted this pass, BUT not at the expense of hearing how he blew a coverage and allowed so and so a touchdown.

Sparkey
09-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Also,

Butler made a lot of big plays, but he also played SS.

SS usually plays closer too the line of scrimmage and is more apt to be involved in turnover as opposed to FS.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Not if the plays aren't there. If they have coverage and the QB doesn't force the ball, how is he going to make plays in the passing game. I think he did make plays in the running game. The one pass he had a shot at picking off, Barnett was also there and got the pick.

Patler
09-11-2006, 03:37 PM
There used too be a safety in Green Bay that always seemed to make BIG PLAYS. Usually was near the top in interceptions and usually returned one or two for a touchdown.

The problem was, he took chances to get those + big plays, but also gave up way too many - big plays.

His name ........... Darren Sharper

I would love to hear how Collins intercepted this pass, BUT not at the expense of hearing how he blew a coverage and allowed so and so a touchdown.

I want him to be LeRoy Butler, not Darren Sharper!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Patler
09-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Not if the plays aren't there. If they have coverage and the QB doesn't force the ball, how is he going to make plays in the passing game. I think he did make plays in the running game. The one pass he had a shot at picking off, Barnett was also there and got the pick.

Well, its not just interceptions, its knocking passes down, its jaring the ball out on the tackle for an incompletion, covering the guy so linemen can get a sack. Allowing the catch to be made, and then making the tackle is not that big of a trick.

Again, I don't think he played poorly, but I want more from him because of his athletic ability.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah, they allowed Butler to blitz and free-lance a little more. Collins doesn't blitz much, so that's one aspect of big plays he's not likely to get. He can make interceptions, but there has to be opportunities. Until then, he has to continue making the plays in the run game. I don't think a safety not making big plays is a bad thing--if he's making the tackles he needs to make and he's not giving up completions.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Well, its not just interceptions, its knocking passes down, its jaring the ball out on the tackle for an incompletion, covering the guy so linemen can get a sack. Allowing the catch to be made, and then making the tackle is not that big of a trick.

My point is: what catches did he allow to be made? I don't remember one. Maybe there was one... at the most. What else he supposed to do--if he has coverage and the QB isn't forcing the ball in his zone?

Patler
09-11-2006, 03:48 PM
What else he supposed to do--if he has coverage and the QB isn't forcing the ball in his zone?

I don't know, maybe blitz and cover deep at the same time! :mrgreen:
I want a defensive playmaker!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

RashanGary
09-11-2006, 03:52 PM
I was hoping for a little more too. He was a violent, sure tackler but not much else. I'm hoping he gets a chance to make a big hit or two soon.

As the communication gets better in the secondary, I think things will come to him more. One big play every other game would be damn fine for me.

GoPack06
09-11-2006, 03:53 PM
None of the D really played awful. I mean Manuel gave up the big play and Popininga had a hard time covering the TE's. I think Mohammad had a good day, but he was the only WR to catch more than 1 pass all day.

I think this D will get better every game.

RashanGary
09-11-2006, 04:00 PM
None of the D really played awful. I mean Manuel gave up the big play and Popininga had a hard time covering the TE's. I think Mohammad had a good day, but he was the only WR to catch more than 1 pass all day.

I think this D will get better every game.

Nice point!!

Other than the big play and Poppinga, things looked decent.

Poppinga needs to have a special package that he does well, but having him in on eveyr play is just too much.

SD GB fan
09-11-2006, 06:23 PM
hard to make impact plays when everyone else in the secondary is fucking dun ya think?