PDA

View Full Version : Official Black Monday Thread

Joemailman
12-27-2019, 09:22 AM
Just days away from finding out which head coaches will be shown the door.

Jay Gruden and Ron Rivera of course are already gone. Talk seems to be that Matt Patricia in Detroit and Dan Quinn in in Atlanta are safe.

The heat is really on Freddie Kitchens in Cleveland. Team has been dysfunctional in so many ways. Wouldn't this be a natural spot for McCarthy?

I think Pat Shurmur of Giants gets another shot. Team has been pretty competitive with a rookie at QB. His future might be tied to the fate of GM Dave Gettleman though.

If Jason Garrett of Dallas hasn't already started clearing out his desk, he should have. How many times during Sunday's game will the cameras pan from Garrett to Jerruh up in the booth?

A second straight 5 win season will probably get Doug Marrone the boot in Jacksonville.

Not sure what to make of the Matt Nagy situation in Chicago. One year removed from a 12 win season. However, Bears can't be happy that Trubisky declined this year. Do they blame Nagy? Nagy was supposed to bring an Andy Reid-type offense to Chicago. Hasn't happened.

Really strange situation with L.A. Chargers and Anthony Lynn. They will be heading into a new stadium with no fan base and an aging QB. Lynn is respected, but will they want to bring in a new name to drum up some fan support?

texaspackerbacker
12-27-2019, 10:44 AM
I'm getting closer than I was to thinking Garrett will go, but just because media pukes think it's happening doesn't mean shit. Jerry Jones is more likely to spit in their face and keep Garrett just to spite those media bastards than he is to succumb to pressure or whatever from them if Garrett still has his confidence. Cowboy inconsistency, though, may be making that confidence erode ...... or not.

run pMc
12-27-2019, 04:22 PM
I think Kitchens, Morrone, and Garrett are done in that order from most to least likely. Kitchens has not been able to control that team and Mayfield didn't progress like they'd hoped. Does Dorsey can him after one year?
JAX already fired Coughlin and it seems like they are looking to rebuild/retool. I think they do that with a new coach.
If they win the NFCE division maybe they keep Garrett, but Jerrah hasn't reupped his contract and they have underperformed which is not a great sign. Garrett will get swept up by another team right away.

Shurmur I have no idea, I think he's 50/50. Same with Lynn...Rivers looked washed up in a few games (vs. MIN), even if he killed GB. Nagy and Patricia are safe IMO but next season is make or break for them.

I wonder about Zac Taylor in CIN. That team often looked outcoached in the bits of games I caught with them, but Mike Brown probably gives him another chance because he doesn't want to eat that contract.

pbmax
12-27-2019, 05:36 PM
Atlanta announced Quinn and McVay are coming back.

yetisnowman
12-27-2019, 05:54 PM
Atlanta announced Quinn and McVay are coming back.

Completely blown away, I've lived in Atlanta on/off for a decade and he was basically considered dead man walking since week 7 or so. He shoulda been fired after the super bowl honestly, but he's under .500 since with one playoff appearance. I don't get it at all. But somehow it's just so Atlanta. What a disastrous sports year there.

pbmax
12-28-2019, 08:02 AM
Completely blown away, I've lived in Atlanta on/off for a decade and he was basically considered dead man walking since week 7 or so. He shoulda been fired after the super bowl honestly, but he's under .500 since with one playoff appearance. I don't get it at all. But somehow it's just so Atlanta. What a disastrous sports year there.

I almost could understand Quinn if you thought McVay had screwed up evaluating the defense for 3 straight years.

But then what changed the last 2 months?

EDIT: MY bad, it was GM Thomas Dimitroff not McVay who was on the hot seat and is now back for a year. And its not McVay, but Rick McKay. McKay is now on top of the two silos.

When Quinn was hired in February 2015, he answered not to Dimitroff, then as now the retainer of his GM job, but to the high-profile owner. Now Quinn and Dimitroff will report to McKay, who will report to Blank, who reports to nobody. This in itself should lead to 13 wins next season, easy. Yes, I’m kidding.

This guy ain't happy: https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradley/blinded-affection-blank-makes-major-mistake/RLntxXWXA6O4zbxx4CAxsM/

run pMc
12-28-2019, 10:33 AM
Yeah, everyone thought Quinn might not make it thru the season... but he's somewhat turned the team around with a few recent wins, and maybe that sold the team on keeping him. Still, I don't see them as an ascending team. The roster is aging and the newer talent isn't playing as good.

Fosco33
12-28-2019, 01:06 PM
I could see M3 in Cleveland.

yetisnowman
12-28-2019, 01:19 PM
Quinn's team played motivated after they were already 1-6. After Not making the playoffs last year. Not sure that should be enough to keep him around. It's strange because virtually everyone thought his tenure was done months ago.

Cheesehead Craig
12-28-2019, 02:20 PM
Garrett's gonna be fired. He's lost the team and really is not a good coach at all.

pbmax
12-28-2019, 02:46 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Former #Panthers coach Ron Rivera has emerged as a top coaching candidate & has told people he expects a deal to come together quickly, sources say. It could even be 24 hours after Week 17 ends. The #Redskins have interest, tho other teams without openings yet are also circling.

Marvin Lewis also being reported to be in Washington's sights.

pbmax
12-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Word broke earlier today that Marrone was going to be fired after Week 17. He had met with owner and team officials this week. Team denies that is the schedule.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Statement from Jim Woodcock, #Jaguars owner Shad Khan’s spokesman: "Reports that Doug Marrone will be dismissed after Sunday’s game are 100 percent incorrect. Owner Shad Khan will meet with his football staff, which includes coaching and personnel, midweek next week.”

George Cumby
12-28-2019, 05:30 PM
Garrett's gonna be fired. He's lost the team and really is not a good coach at all.

Agree on first two points.

With Jerry interfering at every level, idk if an accurate judgement on Garrett's ability can be made.

call_me_ishmael
12-28-2019, 11:54 PM
Has anyone heard about McCarthy to Dallas? I haven't really heard anything personally but to me it seems like a good fit. He'd have to check his ego at the door and run the dang ball a bit more. But there's a lot of raw material to work with. I can't imagine going with a college coach or something over Big Mike and his proven track record.

I wish Big Mike would have gone on a diet and worked more with a trainer during his year off. I feel like he'd be a much more effective coach if he weighed 80 pounds less.

Carolina is sort of an unknown with new owners but I still feel better about Big Mike succeeding there than I do in Cleveland with Haslem running the show.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-29-2019, 02:30 AM
I could see M3 in Cleveland.

McCarthy wants to hire game theorists. Dorsey just got rid of Cleveland’s analytics department. “We ain’t need no math nerds”, qouteth Dorsey. Besides, Kitchen ain’t black. He ain’t going anywhere soon. Only black coaches get the one-n-done treatment, yo.

I have put $20 on McCarthy coaching the Seagulls next season. Schneider has been engaged in a fishy conspiracy to overthrow Carroll since #35 of the Packers sealed McCarthy’s fate with that dropped Larry Brown pick, along with a little help from Crosby (missed fg that woulda sent game to OT).

McCarthy and Schneider are buds. Schneider even set McCarthy up with a - married - MILF, or so I heard.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 08:34 AM
McCarthy wants to hire game theorists. .

Maybe its your hearing that is the problem. Re-read that article again and tell me what PFF did for him. It wasn't clear it was analytics at all.

Because what he said PFF did for him was this: https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1210581980250808320

pbmax
12-29-2019, 08:55 AM
Fitzgerald contacted by Panthers about their job. Says no to interview.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1210581980250808320

Anti-Polar Bear
12-29-2019, 11:53 AM
Maybe its your hearing that is the problem. Re-read that article again and tell me what PFF did for him. It wasn't clear it was analytics at all.

Because what he said PFF did for him was this: https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1210581980250808320

You must've read the article at NFL.com by former Packer beat writer, Tom Pelissero. I refrain from reading articles at NFL.com or Packers.com b/c it's akin to living in North Korea and getting your news from the Kim Jong Times. I was referencing Peter King. No, not that bigoted politician from New York. Talking about the greying scribe that is totally cool with his daughter being a lesbian. Plus, King once wrote, eloquently, an argument in favor of the annihilation of the name "Redskins." Suffice it to say, the King I'm taking about is a bloody lib--Imma stop myself before Mad gets mad. :)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/16/mike-mccarthy-coaching-nfl-fmia-week-15-peter-king/

In the span of three meetings with the 56-year-old McCarthy in the tundra last week, one slide on his deck spoke volumes about where he’s at with the future. It’s his football tech plan.

There’s a flow chart for his proposed 14-person Football Technology Department, including a six-person video unit and an eight-person analytics team. The Chief of Football Technology tops the department, which will run both video and analytics. The top analytics lieutenants will be a Coordinator of Database Management, Coordinator of Football Analytics and Coordinator of Mathematical Innovation. Below them: Football Technology Engineer and two Football Technology Analysts. And finally, a Football Technology Intern. McCarthy spent a day last summer at Pro Football Focus offices in Cincinnati, discovering how much more data is available than he realized. PFF data will be a key component of his analytics tree, as will GPS tracking of players and Next Gen Stats.

Apparently, McCarthy thinks there are plenty of teams out there with ownerships akin to Packers'. In the Packers' system, profits flow back to the football operation, not the "owners" holding worthless stocks. Good luck to McCarthy in his quest to find a greed-fucked NFL owner willing to fork the bill for a "14-person Football Technology Department".

PS: I ain't a math prodigy, but I've passed the CPA exams. I'd be more than happy to join McCarthy's team for 10 bucks an hour since I currently make the minimum-wage.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 03:27 PM
You must've read the article at NFL.com by former Packer beat writer, Tom Pelissero. I refrain from reading articles at NFL.com or Packers.com b/c it's akin to living in North Korea and getting your news from the Kim Jong Times. I was referencing Peter King. No, not that bigoted politician from New York. Talking about the greying scribe that is totally cool with his daughter being a lesbian. Plus, King once wrote, eloquently, an argument in favor of the annihilation of the name "Redskins." Suffice it to say, the King I'm taking about is a bloody lib--Imma stop myself before Mad gets mad. :)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/16/mike-mccarthy-coaching-nfl-fmia-week-15-peter-king/

Apparently, McCarthy thinks there are plenty of teams out there with ownerships akin to Packers'. In the Packers' system, profits flow back to the football operation, not the "owners" holding worthless stocks. Good luck to McCarthy in his quest to find a greed-fucked NFL owner willing to fork the bill for a "14-person Football Technology Department".

PS: I ain't a math prodigy, but I've passed the CPA exams. I'd be more than happy to join McCarthy's team for 10 bucks an hour since I currently make the minimum-wage.

I stand corrected. Pelissero did a poor job communicating that if he saw it. I am glad he is leaning toward this.

Joemailman
12-29-2019, 08:11 PM
Kitchens fired by Cleveland.

Glad Dorsey and E. Wolf didn't try to hire LaFleur.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 08:24 PM
That was fast. And deserved.

Joemailman
12-29-2019, 08:48 PM
Report Ron Rivera has emerged as top candidate for Redskins job. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001093145/article/ron-rivera-emerges-as-top-candidate-for-redskins

KYPack
12-29-2019, 08:55 PM
Kitchens fired by Cleveland.

Glad Dorsey and E. Wolf didn't try to hire LaFleur.

Makes sense. He looked super rattled in his post game presser.

Fosco33
12-29-2019, 09:16 PM
McCarthy wants to hire game theorists. Dorsey just got rid of Cleveland’s analytics department. “We ain’t need no math nerds”, qouteth Dorsey. Besides, Kitchen ain’t black. He ain’t going anywhere soon. Only black coaches get the one-n-done treatment, yo.

I have put $20 on McCarthy coaching the Seagulls next season. Schneider has been engaged in a fishy conspiracy to overthrow Carroll since #35 of the Packers sealed McCarthy’s fate with that dropped Larry Brown pick, along with a little help from Crosby (missed fg that woulda sent game to OT).

McCarthy and Schneider are buds. Schneider even set McCarthy up with a - married - MILF, or so I heard.

Kitchens fired...

call_me_ishmael
12-29-2019, 10:11 PM
Why would anyone want the Washington job? Why would anyone want the Cleveland job? Dallas and Carolina seem to be the best job openings to me.

My uninformed, shoot from the hip, wild speculation is this year we see more retreats vs the next-Sean-McVay types of last year. Everybody but Matty Ice basically busted it seems. I think guys like Riveria and McCarthy are extremely desirable and qualified candidates. I still don't understand why Carolina moved on from Ron. He's a good coach it seems.

Bretsky
12-29-2019, 10:18 PM
I think a lot of reallly good coaches would not want to work with Jerry Jones

call_me_ishmael
12-29-2019, 10:21 PM

Not so sure I agree but I frankly have no idea. To me, Jerry is pretty hands off and very loyal. You have a lonngggg leash, or Garrett would have been gone long ago. That + their talent makes the job very desirable in my opinion.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 10:38 PM
Forget McVay or SHanny. Given Kliff Kingsbury's success in turning around the Cardinals offense, time to go Air Raid in the NFL.

texaspackerbacker
12-29-2019, 10:43 PM

I think Jerry Jones would not want to work with (what media shitheads consider) a lot of really good coaches.

texaspackerbacker
12-29-2019, 10:45 PM
Forget McVay or SHanny. Given Kliff Kingsbury's success in turning around the Cardinals offense, time to go Air Raid in the NFL.

Are you going for the MrAynRand award for sarcasm? Or do you really mean it? I actually tend to agree. I like Kingsbury and Air Raid.

Bretsky
12-29-2019, 11:03 PM
Lincoln Riley would not surprise me

pbmax
12-29-2019, 11:32 PM
Are you going for the MrAynRand award for sarcasm? Or do you really mean it? I actually tend to agree. I like Kingsbury and Air Raid.

Kingsbury has adapted the Air Raid and dumped some things for others to fit his team and the NFL. That is what it takes to succeed in the NFL.

But new ideas are always a welcome addition. So yes, more Air Raid.

pbmax
12-30-2019, 09:26 AM
Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
The Panthers and Browns both are seeking interviews with Josh McDaniels. If Jacksonville opens up they are almost certain to do the same. Rare year when Pats dont have the bye so no interviews for him this week

pbmax
12-30-2019, 09:33 AM
Carolina Panthers Ron Rivera
Cleveland Browns Freddie Kitchens
New York Giants Pat Shurmur
Washington Redskins Jay Gruden

All rumors are that Garrett is done in Dallas.

ThunderDan
12-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Carolina Panthers Ron Rivera
Cleveland Browns Freddie Kitchens
New York Giants Pat Shurmur
Washington Redskins Jay Gruden

All rumors are that Garrett is done in Dallas.

Almost a clean sweep of the NFC East.

Sparkey
12-30-2019, 10:11 AM
Garrets contract is up Jan 14th of 2020. They really have no reason to fire him. Just let him disappear...

pbmax
12-30-2019, 10:34 AM
wrong thread

Zool
12-30-2019, 10:58 AM
Garrets contract is up Jan 14th of 2020. They really have no reason to fire him. Just let him disappear...

They'll just fix the glitch so he stops getting paychecks.

red
12-30-2019, 11:12 AM
They'll just fix the glitch so he stops getting paychecks.

Move him to the basement

Cheesehead Craig
12-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Lincoln Riley would not surprise me

I would be surprised. Dallas is in a win now mode and taking a year to acclimate a brand new to the NFL HC and his offensive system isn't going to work well there. If he comes, it's going to have to be someplace where there's a big rebuild and he can have some time. It will be a HC with experience that comes in there.

Fosco33
12-30-2019, 11:42 AM
Browns are going to interview M3. Bet he’s in running because he’d probably want to keep Dorsey...

pbmax
12-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Matt Bruhle (or someone who wants Matt in New York) has leaked that it is the one job he is most interested in.

Browns from PFT: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/30/browns-want-to-interview-mike-mccarthy-and-kevin-stefanski-again/

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns want to interview the former Packers coach for this year’s vacancy.

There was some interest last year, but after they zoomed in on Freddie Kitchens, the interview with McCarthy never actually happened.

He has familiarity with General Manager John Dorsey from Green Bay, so the interest is reasonable.

Cabot also reports that they’re expected to interview Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski again this year, after talking to him last offseason before hiring Kitchens.

They’ve also requested to talk to 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh, along with Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman.

pbmax
12-30-2019, 11:57 AM
Bruce Allen is out of Washington entirely. Rumor is he could end up in LA with Marvin Demoff's kid. Condolences to the Rams for their very exciting and no complete 3 year run of fun.

Riverboat Rivera is rumored to be everything but signed. He's on a plane to DC, negotiations are going slow, he's picking out flatware with Danny, etc.

pbmax
12-30-2019, 02:33 PM
You'll never believe this, but Washington talks with a coach have hit a snag:

https://twitter.com/Lescarpenter/status/1211697641853194242?s=20

Les Carpenter @Lescarpenter
A person with knowledge of the situation says Ron Rivera’s negotiations with the Redskins are moving more slowly than expected.

Washington PR just said not to expect any announcements today.

hoosier
12-30-2019, 03:15 PM
I hope Danny hires Matt Millen and Barry Switzer.

pbmax
12-30-2019, 04:03 PM
I hope Danny hires Matt Millen and Barry Switzer.

Only better choice is for the owner himself to coach the team.

pbmax
12-30-2019, 04:24 PM
I think we gotta bump a thread or three.

Mark Tauscher @MarkTauscher65
Remember when people were debating that the Cleveland HC opening last year was better than the Green Bay job?

call_me_ishmael
12-30-2019, 10:59 PM
If my options are to sit out and collect a paycheck (Riveria) or even not (McCarthy) or take the Cleveland or Washington jobs, I'm sitting home.

MadScientist
12-30-2019, 11:16 PM
If my options are to sit out and collect a paycheck (Riveria) or even not (McCarthy) or take the Cleveland or Washington jobs, I'm sitting home.

I can think of millions of reasons MM would take the job. Plus his ego that says he can succeed where others failed.

call_me_ishmael
12-30-2019, 11:26 PM
I can think of millions of reasons MM would take the job. Plus his ego that says he can succeed where others failed.

McCarthy has all the money he could ever need. By all accounts he doesn't live a crazy life. I would personally sit it out and wait for a year with more openings. But, I get it, the ego thing could be a factor. Me, I'd be trying to set myself up for success. The best openings this year are NYG, Dallas and Carolina. The other openings are trash in my opinion.

call_me_ishmael
12-31-2019, 12:28 AM
Seeing how the Packers fired McCarthy and how the Cowboys are doing right by Garrett to make the transition as respectable and easy on him as possible shows why I believe the Dallas job is the the marquee opening right now. Jerry, for all the guff people give is, seems like a good southern gentlemen.

pbmax
12-31-2019, 03:07 AM
Pains me to say about my former team, but Jerry might be more sane of an owner than Haslam.

hoosier
12-31-2019, 06:50 AM
I think we gotta bump a thread or three.

Mark Tauscher @MarkTauscher65
Remember when people were debating that the Cleveland HC opening last year was better than the Green Bay job?

SOB. Same ol'....

George Cumby
12-31-2019, 11:51 AM
Seeing how the Packers fired McCarthy and how the Cowboys are doing right by Garrett to make the transition as respectable and easy on him as possible shows why I believe the Dallas job is the the marquee opening right now. Jerry, for all the guff people give is, seems like a good southern gentlemen.

I don't know in what Reality the Cowboys job is marquee with Jerrah with his fingers everywhere they shouldn't be.

They haven't won the Owl in 20+ years, in no small part due to Jerrah.

Fritz
12-31-2019, 02:34 PM
I don't see any advantage in MM waiting til next year. His brand will be stale by then.

pbmax
12-31-2019, 02:36 PM
Pains me to say about my former team, but Jerry might be more sane of an owner than Haslam.

Then again ...

Jane Slater @SlaterNFL
I’m being told there will likely be no news today on the Jason Garrett front. Meeting is over. Remaining coaches and staffers in the building heading home

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Cowboys meeting with Jason Garrett lasted less than an hour… and everyone left with no resolution.

beveaux1
12-31-2019, 02:36 PM
John Dorsey reportedly out in Cleveland.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/31/john-dorsey-out-in-cleveland/

beveaux1
12-31-2019, 02:38 PM
What Dorsey's reported removal does to other ex-Packer front office guys is up for speculation

pbmax
12-31-2019, 02:43 PM
Then again ...

Jane Slater @SlaterNFL
I’m being told there will likely be no news today on the Jason Garrett front. Meeting is over. Remaining coaches and staffers in the building heading home

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Cowboys meeting with Jason Garrett lasted less than an hour… and everyone left with no resolution.

On the other hand:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Browns and John Dorsey are “leaning towards” parting ways today, sources tell @mortreport and me, but this is a fluid and not final situation. Dorsey is meeting today with Browns’ owner Jimmy Haslam to finalize details. Signs pointing to the end for Dorsey.

Fosco33
12-31-2019, 02:47 PM
I suppose m3 is not in running. Maybe NY instead?

pbmax
12-31-2019, 03:03 PM
So this year its the adjust the assistant coach mix to fix things up and make it right.

Lions parted ways with assistant coaches John Bonamego, Al Golden, Rodney Hill, Harold Nash, Brian Stewart and Chris White.

Plus for Packer side? Assistant ST Coach John Bonamego.

Speaking of which, does Allen Rossum have a kid playing football yet?

pbmax
12-31-2019, 03:25 PM
What Dorsey's reported removal does to other ex-Packer front office guys is up for speculation

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo
#Browns assistant GM Eliot Wolf remains in place, sources say. At least for now, anyway.

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt
Don't be surprised if Browns target Josh McDaniels and hand him Belichick-like role with complete control of the groceries and menu.

pbmax
12-31-2019, 03:28 PM
Your move Jerry:

Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot
NEWS: #Browns John Dorsey was asked to be more of a talent evaluator such as a VP. Paul DePodesta will NOT run the football side. A new guy that aligns w/ coach will run football side. Andrew Berry & others will interview for that role

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/browns-gm-john-dorsey-and-browns-leaning-toward-parting-ways-meeting-with-jimmy-haslam-today-reports-say.html

George Cumby
12-31-2019, 03:30 PM
Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo
#Browns assistant GM Eliot Wolf remains in place, sources say. At least for now, anyway.

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt
Don't be surprised if Browns target Josh McDaniels and hand him Belichick-like role with complete control of the groceries and menu.

Hope Browns fans are prepared for more dysfunction.

Zool
12-31-2019, 03:35 PM
Hope Browns fans are prepared for more dysfunction.

Well looks like he Bears will have a shot at Mayfield as McDaniels tries to re-draft Tebow in the first.

pbmax
12-31-2019, 03:41 PM
Kareem Copeland @kareemcopeland
Ron Rivera agrees to become #Redskins ’ next coach, begins work on assembling staff

pbmax
12-31-2019, 04:04 PM
Around The NFL @AroundTheNFL

BREAKING: Jaguars coach Doug Marrone, GM Dave Caldwell to return in 2020

pbmax
12-31-2019, 04:08 PM
Reuters @Reuters
Browns part ways with general manager Dorsey https://reut.rs/35ar2tZ

Zool
12-31-2019, 04:19 PM
Reuters @Reuters
Browns part ways with general manager Dorsey https://reut.rs/35ar2tZ

So much for Fat Mike in Cleveland.

Joemailman
12-31-2019, 06:19 PM
So much for Fat Mike in Cleveland.

Not necessarily. Eliot Wolf is still there.

TravisWilliams23
12-31-2019, 08:03 PM
McCarthy will have a hard time getting teams to overlook his last 2 years in GB and then having a rookie head coach come in and go 13-3. Had 2 HOF QB's and could only come up with 1 trophy. Tough sell.

pbmax
12-31-2019, 08:58 PM
McCarthy will have a hard time getting teams to overlook his last 2 years in GB and then having a rookie head coach come in and go 13-3. Had 2 HOF QB's and could only come up with 1 trophy. Tough sell.

Well, yes, but he still is more accomplished than Doug Marrone, Pat Shurmur, Adam Gase or Vance Joseph.

Its more a matter of whether a team attractive to him (solid front office) can avoid the trap of needing a Belichick disciple.

pbmax
12-31-2019, 09:23 PM
Keith Britton @KeithBritton86

@JasonLaCanfora on @923TheFan on Mike McCarthy's relationship with Dorsey/Highsmith/Wolf: "It's not super cozy...I would probably say amicable, friendly enough, but it's not kumbaya." Says he's heard that was some friction with Eliot Wolf from past
#Browns

pbmax
12-31-2019, 09:42 PM
Ex #Packers coach Mike McCarthy is the #Browns 1st interview on Thursday, & a pairing with Browns asst. GM Eliot Wolf is being considered, league sources tell clevelanddotcom. 9 playoffs seasons together in GB, 1 Super Bowl win

pbmax
12-31-2019, 09:53 PM
Your move Jerry:

NEWS: #Browns John Dorsey was asked to be more of a talent evaluator such as a VP. Paul DePodesta will NOT run the football side. A new guy that aligns w/ coach will run football side. Andrew Berry & others will interview for that role

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/browns-gm-john-dorsey-and-browns-leaning-toward-parting-ways-meeting-with-jimmy-haslam-today-reports-say.html

Browns keep raising the bar for Jerry:

From the Athletic: https://twitter.com/turnermaney/status/1212141168194138112

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENJj9uhXYAIdls7?format=png&name=large

pbmax
12-31-2019, 11:30 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
#Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy is scheduled to interview with the #Panthers for their head-coaching job on Thursday and he’ll meet with the #Giants on Saturday, source said. He also has a request from the #Browns. A busy man during the bye week.

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2020, 01:16 AM
Not necessarily. Eliot Wolf is still there.

I think M3 will say "no thanks" and smartly avoid the dumpster fire. It's just not worth it since we all know how it's going to end with Jimmy Haslem. Here's the new boss, same as the old boss.

If I'm M3, I send my record and tapes vs the Cowboys to Jerry

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2020, 01:19 AM
I don't know in what Reality the Cowboys job is marquee with Jerrah with his fingers everywhere they shouldn't be.

They haven't won the Owl in 20+ years, in no small part due to Jerrah.

Not so sure I agree. Where do you see Jerrah meddling? Normally with meddling owners you end up with rosters devoid of talent. That hasn't been the case in Big D. The roster has generally been good, my impression is they were never bad enough to land a stud QB and always good enough to not move on from their average QB.

pbmax
01-01-2020, 09:45 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The job title for Paul DePodesta — #Browns chief strategy officer — has not changed, but after a few days of mixed messages to candidates from the organization, DePodesta is now the one running the head coach hiring process for the Haslams, source said. Should be more directed.

Interesting. Probably an obstacle to hiring established HCs as they are going to want to know what DePo's responsibilities are going forward. Is he really President or Exec VP of Football Operations? Or is he just the one posting the job on the NFL's BBS?

George Cumby
01-01-2020, 09:52 AM
Not so sure I agree. Where do you see Jerrah meddling? Normally with meddling owners you end up with rosters devoid of talent. That hasn't been the case in Big D. The roster has generally been good, my impression is they were never bad enough to land a stud QB and always good enough to not move on from their average QB.

Somehow we are seeing totally different things, other than the quality of the roster. I perceive Jerry interacting with the media above and beyond any other owner, he's on the sidelines. I see him dictating team philosophy, etc. The team is his, not the HC's. He's the ultimate authority, not the HC and the players know it. Hard for the HC to maintain discipline under those conditions.

pbmax
01-01-2020, 10:16 AM
Ex #Packers coach Mike McCarthy is the #Browns 1st interview on Thursday, & a pairing with Browns asst. GM Eliot Wolf is being considered, league sources tell clevelanddotcom. 9 playoffs seasons together in GB, 1 Super Bowl win

Browns continue to up the bar for dysfunction. Exciting, ground breaking work in this area.

The analytics piece is important to the Browns, because Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta plans to incorporate more of the Moneyball concept in the Browns’ game plans and play calling, and the new coach will have to be on board if DePodesta remains with the team.

It was a sticking point with Dorsey and Kitchens, who were old school football men. One source said the extensive analytics input every Monday only served to further complicate things for Kitchens, who was already in over his head as head coach and play caller.

pbmax
01-01-2020, 10:41 AM
Somehow we are seeing totally different things, other than the quality of the roster. I perceive Jerry interacting with the media above and beyond any other owner, he's on the sidelines. I see him dictating team philosophy, etc. The team is his, not the HC's. He's the ultimate authority, not the HC and the players know it. Hard for the HC to maintain discipline under those conditions.

I think both you and Partial are seeing parts of the same thing. Jerry wants to build a SB winner again. He trusts his people (his son and his coach) enough to give them real responsibility and let them make decisions (Steven Jones - draft, Jason Garrett - settling for punts and FGs in opposition territory).

However, he does interfere with the coaching staff hires (the new OC Kellen Moore calling plays, multiple changes to D coaches) and gets his licks in about the draft. I have heard a lot of their fans moaning about the focus on the passing game this year.

But there is no doubt, tex can probably testify to this, that he has become more serious about delegating responsibility. Part of this might have been about getting better on the field, but also part of it is that he has so many projects going (his Legends sports services company is not only serving food everywhere there is a game, but they are also building the Rams new stadium) that he doesn't have the time.

He is a very busy micro manager who is very serious about being good at football.

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2020, 12:30 PM
I guess.

There certainly aren't many GMs around the league who have done a better job than Jerry Jones. Whether Garrett is a poor coach or a victim of circumstance and luck is debatable, but sticking with him this long IMO is a good thing. Somebody said it fosters lack of player discipline if the owner is as proactive as Jones ..... I disagree with that. It's only a problem if the coach butts heads with the owner. If they are in lock step, then it's better for discipline - reinforcing what he says. The bad thing would be if the owner kept flipping coaches every couple of years. Imagine that sort of thing from a player's point of view. We would see every year what we saw a little bit of this year - with media shitheads etc. nattering away about the coach getting fired.

Don't be surprised if Garrett is still the Cowboy coach next season. I wouldn't bet on it, but I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

Zool
01-01-2020, 01:31 PM
Talk about a guys rep living off past success. Under Jones, the Cowpies have won 3 playoff games since 1996. In that some timeframe, they’ve lost 9 playoff games and missed the playoffs 13 times. He’s been a bad GM for a decade or 2 but when you’re the owner, you don’t get fired.

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2020, 03:06 PM
Browns continue to up the bar for dysfunction. Exciting, ground breaking work in this area.

DePodesta should be President but he doesn't want to live in Cleveland so he can't be. What a shit show. Way too many dicks on the dance floor in Cleveland.

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2020, 03:08 PM
Talk about a guys rep living off past success. Under Jones, the Cowpies have won 3 playoff games since 1996. In that some timeframe, they’ve lost 9 playoff games and missed the playoffs 13 times. He’s been a bad GM for a decade or 2 but when you’re the owner, you don’t get fired.

I disagree that he's been a bad GM. I think he has done a bad job at finding a star quarterback. It's hard to argue that the roster isn't loaded with talent, but it also is a roster that doesn't acknowledge that outside of a few outliers, teams are as good as there quarterback and Romo has always been average and Dak is the same.

Zool
01-01-2020, 03:21 PM
I disagree that he's been a bad GM. I think he has done a bad job at finding a star quarterback. It's hard to argue that the roster isn't loaded with talent, but it also is a roster that doesn't acknowledge that outside of a few outliers, teams are as good as there quarterback and Romo has always been average and Dak is the same.

Talent matters not if you don’t win. Wins and losses determine the HC and GM job. You have a bit of a man-crush for athletic freaks. The cowboys are always less than the sum of their parts.

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2020, 03:38 PM
It just came across the bottom of the screen that talks between Jones and Garrett will resume on Thursday. Does that mean he's staying, and they are discussing how much he gets paid? Or what?

Wins and losses tend to determine the head coach job - in cases other than Jason Garrett hahahaha.

Talent level, on the other hand, is the measure of GM quality. And there are damn few teams where that sum of the parts has been better than the Cowboys.

It occurs to me that maybe it's conflicting to defend both Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett, and the fact is, I've never been that enthused about Garrett. I just don't think poor coaching, though, is the primary reason for Cowboys mediocrity in recent years.

ThunderDan
01-01-2020, 03:41 PM

If you haven’t made the playoff more than half of the time over a 25 year period you are a bad GM.

Obviously your definition of talent has not produced much for results in Dallas. TT use to get crushed here but we only missed the playoffs 4 times in 13 years. Made the NFC Championship 4 times and won the Super Bowl once.

Joemailman
01-01-2020, 04:02 PM
If you haven’t made the playoff more than half of the time over a 25 year period you are a bad GM.

In any year 37.5 % of teams make the playoffs. So if you're making it half the time, you're actually a bit above average. As Packers fans, we're a bit spoiled about this, as a 2 year absence seems like an eternity.

George Cumby
01-01-2020, 04:28 PM
I think the salient point(s) are:

The Bois have talent, so talent evaluation isn't the issue.

The Bois are underperforming, so performance IS the issue.

So the question is:

Why are they underperforming?

Is it Garret?

Is it Jerrah?

Is it Garrett because of Jerrah?

The word on the street is it is a team with a toxic entitled culture, which would not be a surprise to me.

If so, and I'm not saying it is, in whose wheel- house is the culture?

pbmax
01-01-2020, 04:37 PM
It just came across the bottom of the screen that talks between Jones and Garrett will resume on Thursday. Does that mean he's staying, and they are discussing how much he gets paid? Or what?

No one seems to know. Seems long and drawn out to fire someone.

Joemailman
01-01-2020, 05:00 PM
No one seems to know. Seems long and drawn out to fire someone.

Garrett's contract expires Jan. 14, so they could be working on an extension. Still, I read Garrett has said his goodbyes to people in the organization.

pbmax
01-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Talent matters not if you don’t win. Wins and losses determine the HC and GM job. You have a bit of a man-crush for athletic freaks. The cowboys are always less than the sum of their parts.

They have had talent. I think the coach hurts them at key times in close games.

Zool
01-01-2020, 06:57 PM
In any year 37.5 % of teams make the playoffs. So if you're making it half the time, you're actually a bit above average. As Packers fans, we're a bit spoiled about this, as a 2 year absence seems like an eternity.

3 wins in 22 seasons is bad no matter how often you make it.

Bretsky
01-01-2020, 07:00 PM
They have had talent. I think the coach hurts them at key times in close games.

Dallas is very talented

Pittsburb is very talented

On paper those two teams are way too talented to miss the playoffs IMO

pbmax
01-01-2020, 07:27 PM
Dallas is very talented

Pittsburgh. Not much talent left on offense these days.

Joemailman
01-01-2020, 07:29 PM
wrong thread

Bretsky
01-01-2020, 07:37 PM
Pittsburgh. Not much talent left on offense these days.

They almost got to the playoffs with a QB named Duck

Big Ben stays healthy they are one of the faves in the playoffs

run pMc
01-01-2020, 08:31 PM
I think M3 will say "no thanks" and smartly avoid the dumpster fire. It's just not worth it since we all know how it's going to end with Jimmy Haslem. Here's the new boss, same as the old boss.

If I'm M3, I send my record and tapes vs the Cowboys to Jerry

Depends. A lot of these coaches - particularly if they've done it before like M3 - probably are confident they can go in and take control of the locker room and change the culture. Cleveland has talent in a lot of positions -- Mayfield, Chubb, Landry/OBJ, plus Garrett, Kirksey, and Ward. It's a team that many thought was likely to ascend, but Kitchens was over his head and let the inmates run the asylum.

The owner's a jerk, and it's been the Factory of Sadness forever, and they have to play PIT and BAL. They at least have enough talent to compete, and that will attract interest from coaches.

Cheesehead Craig
01-01-2020, 09:50 PM
From what I've heard, Jerry wants to keep Garrett in the Cowboys system somehow. Jerry runs the Cowboys very much like they are all part of a family. He doesn't want to see Garrett go, as rumor is he loves him like a son but he honestly cannot keep him as the head coach anymore. So I believe the talks are about finding a role that Garrett will accept in the org.

pbmax
01-01-2020, 09:58 PM
They almost got to the playoffs with a QB named Duck

Big Ben stays healthy they are one of the faves in the playoffs

And was that the offense or defense playing well?

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2020, 09:59 PM

Obviously your definition of talent has not produced much for results in Dallas. TT use to get crushed here but we only missed the playoffs 4 times in 13 years. Made the NFC Championship 4 times and won the Super Bowl once.

I agree with this. They were not great over 25 years, but in the past 5-6 years or so those rosters have been pretty darn good and near the top of the league on average.

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Dallas is very talented

Pittsburgh overachieved because of their coach in my opinion. Dallas underachieved because of their coach in my opinion.

esoxx
01-01-2020, 10:06 PM
Pittsburgh overachieved because of their coach in my opinion. Dallas underachieved because of their coach in my opinion.

Pittsburgh has 10 first round draft picks on their current team. That will allow you to stay in any game, whether the QB is named Duck or Goose.

They are actually a scary team if they can get any type of QB play going forward.

The coach is pretty good too.

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2020, 11:28 PM
Pittsburgh has 10 first round draft picks on their current team. That will allow you to stay in any game, whether the QB is named Duck or Goose.

They are actually a scary team if they can get any type of QB play going forward.

Sort of crazy they have 10 first rounders. Man, they're such a well run franchise. And imagine - they did so well this year despite the injuries and losing arguably the best wideout in the NFL. Crazy!

pbmax
01-02-2020, 08:07 AM
Sort of crazy they have 10 first rounders. Man, they're such a well run franchise. And imagine - they did so well this year despite the injuries and losing arguably the best wideout in the NFL. Crazy!

I think we may be over praising Tomlin and the GM. This year without Ben for the most part and an injured Smith-Smythe-Smith not always at WR, they went 8-8. Finished second in the Division and missed the playoffs.

Last year with Ben and Simon and Schuster at WR, they went 9-6-1 and missed the playoffs as second in the AFC North.

So, you know, maybe they have been this kind of average team all along. Used to be all offense, now its all defense.

pbmax
01-02-2020, 08:18 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Schedule update:
— #Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy will interview with the #Panthers today for their HC job.
— Ex-#Packers coach Mike McCarthy will interview for the #Browns job today.
— #Cowboys defensive passing game coordinator Kris Richard will interview for the #Giants job today.

Deputy Nutz
01-02-2020, 08:23 AM
I am thinking Lincoln Riley to the Cowboys. Twitter told me a 5 star QB commit to Oklahoma has just de-committed due to the cloudy future of Riley at Oklahoma.

Also I think McCarthy will do fine in his next job. He could be a fit for the Giants with a young QB and an explosive running back. Cleveland has acquired so many headaches. I think Baker Mayfield still has a bright future, but Beckham, Landry, Hunt, and McCarthy's favorite defensive back Damarious Randall could just making coaching there a complete waste of time.

esoxx
01-02-2020, 09:52 AM

I meant to say, their current defense has 10 first round draft choices on it. So any good QB play and they're a very dangerous team.

pbmax
01-02-2020, 01:57 PM
Day 3 of the Browns publicly determining their structure by press conference. Packers silos with the owner straddling them. But hire the coach first.

https://media.giphy.com/media/d3mlE7uhX8KFgEmY/giphy.gif

Nate Ulrich @ByNateUlrich
Jimmy Haslam says #Browns will hire head coach first, then GM outside organization who’ll have final say on 53-man roster, and they'll both report to ownership as equals

bobblehead
01-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Schedule update:
— #Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy will interview with the #Panthers today for their HC job.
— Ex-#Packers coach Mike McCarthy will interview for the #Browns job today.
— #Cowboys defensive passing game coordinator Kris Richard will interview for the #Giants job today.

I actually want fat mike to land in Cleveland for multiple reasons.
1) OMG, We are worse than Cleveland other than Rogers.
2) Fat mike sucks!! Fat mike is a good coach!! (we might get some insight to which is closer to truth).
3) Fat mike doesn't run the ball!! Rogers audibles out of EVERY RUN CALL!! (again, some insight to truth).

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2020, 02:41 PM
It seems like we might get more insight if he got the Giants job - Saquan Barkley and all plus a rookie QB.

pbmax
01-02-2020, 03:40 PM
It seems like we might get more insight if he got the Giants job - Saquan Barkley and all plus a rookie QB.

Possibly. But man I wouldn't be happy with that GM. See this link http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30770-The-Official-other-Teams-and-General-NFL-News-(includes)-Management-and-Coaching-moves&p=1041898#post1041898

Several Twitter people with brains tend to like McCarthy in Carolina. But who is his QB?

Bretsky
01-02-2020, 06:04 PM
I meant to say, their current defense has 10 first round draft choices on it. So any good QB play and they're a very dangerous team.

Did you just add 3 1st rounders for Watt since he's that dam good ?

esoxx
01-02-2020, 06:44 PM
Did you just add 3 1st rounders for Watt since he's that dam good ?

Player Overall pick
Joe Haden 7th
Mark Barron 7th
Tyson Alualu 10th
Devin Bush 10th
Minkah Fitzpatrick 11th
Bud Dupree 22nd
Artie Burns 25th
Terrell Edmunds 28th
T.J. Watt 30th
Cameron Heyward 31st

Still blows my mind Watt lasted until pick 30.

Cameron Heyward at 31 is pretty decent too.

pbmax
01-02-2020, 08:53 PM
Not sure about the second bit, but the first explanation here makes the most sense of anything I have read about the Garrett delay.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/02/dallas-cowboys-jason-garrett-head-coaching-search-delay-theories-jerry-jones/

Bretsky
01-02-2020, 09:12 PM
Player Overall pick
Joe Haden 7th
Mark Barron 7th
Tyson Alualu 10th
Devin Bush 10th
Minkah Fitzpatrick 11th
Bud Dupree 22nd
Artie Burns 25th
Terrell Edmunds 28th
T.J. Watt 30th
Cameron Heyward 31st

Still blows my mind Watt lasted until pick 30.

Cameron Heyward at 31 is pretty decent too.

Still blows my mind that Ted shit all over himself when making that pick when he's right in our backyard with access to all of the coaches who praised Watt's attitude and work ethic continuously. The fact that he had no character risks, and we had all the inside info we could dream of...making it look even worse.

Joemailman
01-02-2020, 09:45 PM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28412867/cowboys-move-jason-garrett-source-says

Jason Garrett's time with the Dallas Cowboys is coming to an end.

A source told ESPN's Ed Werder that after showing an "abundance of care and respect" for Garrett, Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones have decided the coach will not be part of the organization moving forward.

According to multiple sources, the Joneses and Garrett did not have their scheduled meeting at The Star on Thursday after meeting on Monday and Tuesday without any resolution on the coach's status. Garrett's contract is set to expire on Jan. 14 and his status with the team has been an issue since last February when the Cowboys opted not to offer him an extension.

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2020, 09:47 PM
Still blows my mind that Ted shit all over himself when making that pick when he's right in our backyard with access to all of the coaches who praised Watt's attitude and work ethic continuously. The fact that he had no character risks, and we had all the inside info we could dream of...making it look even worse.

TJs not a perfect kid - lots of stories at Pewaukee HS - but all you have to do is look at his brothers to see what kind of player he would project out to be. This was a big time blunder in my opinion. That said, if we have Watt I highly doubt we have ZaDarius and Z is probably the better player anyway.

pbmax
01-03-2020, 09:15 AM
Always the same:

Dan Steinberg @dcsportsbog
Life is a never-ending succession of NFL teams adding ping pong tables w/stories about how they're finally coming together as a family and enjoying each other's company, and NFL teams removing ping pong tables w/stories about how they're finally taking football seriously.

No spin zone: How ping-pong annually impacts the NFL playoffs (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/19/no-spin-zone-how-ping-pong-annually-impacts-the-nfl-playoffs/)

Part of the problem with coaches is that they have too much time on their hands.

Deputy Nutz
01-03-2020, 10:42 AM
TJs not a perfect kid - lots of stories at Pewaukee HS - but all you have to do is look at his brothers to see what kind of player he would project out to be. This was a big time blunder in my opinion. That said, if we have Watt I highly doubt we have ZaDarius and Z is probably the better player anyway.

Kevin King and whatever draft pick we got to trade back versus TJ Watt was a bad move regardless of who we have now. Maybe we wouldn't have drafted Rashan Gary? Who the hell knows, but at least Kevin King played all 16 games this year.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-03-2020, 11:00 AM
Kevin King and whatever draft pick we got to trade back versus TJ Watt was a bad move regardless of who we have now. Maybe we wouldn't have drafted Rashan Gary? Who the hell knows, but at least Kevin King played all 16 games this year.

King actually missed the Redcoat game.

Todd coulda drafted Watt and still gotten another 6-3, 4.4ish, injury-prone, inconsistent corner in the 2nd at the Josh Jones pick: Ahkello Witherspoon of Colorado.

Fosco33
01-03-2020, 11:40 AM
Saw this...

If McCarthy is the guy, the name I'm told to watch for as a potential GM is that of Jon-Eric Sullivan, the co-director of player personnel in Green Bay. McCarthy, of course, knows him from his time with the Packers.

pbmax
01-04-2020, 08:36 AM
So, maybe Garrett isn't going?

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
@GMFB Weekend: The #Cowboys did not officially move on from coach Jason Garrett on Friday, and sounds like nothing is expected this weekend. Tune in Monday?

pbmax
01-04-2020, 09:00 AM
Cleveland Browns @Browns

We're set to interview San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh today for our head coach opening.

pbmax
01-04-2020, 09:01 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Giants have 2 interviews set for today: #Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy & #Ravens DC Wink Martindale, who hopes to replicate Bill Parcells path: Ex-LB coach, 2 years as DC, then HC of the Giants. Martindale has helped build a culture around that defense & players swear by him.

Joemailman
01-04-2020, 11:02 AM
McCarthy to meet with Cowboys. He will be the first to interview with Cowboys.

pbmax
01-04-2020, 11:32 AM
McCarthy to meet with Cowboys. He will be the first to interview with Cowboys.

So Garrett is gone I would guess. Don't think McCarthy would publicly acknowledge an interview if he was still the coach negotiating a deal.

Joemailman
01-04-2020, 12:12 PM
Cowboys to also meet with Marvin Lewis. https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/01/cowboys-to-meet-with-marvin-lewis

Joemailman
01-04-2020, 12:21 PM
Upwards of 10 coaches may interview for Browns job, including Mike LaFleur. https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/01/2020-nfl-head-coaching-search-tracker

pbmax
01-04-2020, 01:29 PM
Joe Banner @JoeBanner13
The Cowboys should hire McCarthy while everyone else is running around the country and waiting for playoff coaches to be free. He is not a sure thing, but as good or better than any of the names out there to succeed

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
In recent years, the focus on Mike McCarthy was on his relationship with Aaron Rodgers. But it’s worth noting McCarthy's massive role in helping Rodgers become what he’s become. This would be a Dak-friendly hire, among other positives.

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2020, 11:22 PM
As a secondary Cowboys fan, I really don't want McCarthy. It's way more like having Favre and Rodgers made McCarthy seem good than the other way around.

CaptainKickass
01-04-2020, 11:51 PM
McCarthy is meeting with the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday, checking off the fourth and final vacancy after previously interviewing with the New York Giants, Cleveland Browns and Carolina Panthers.
The Washington Redskins, the only team that didn’t meet with McCarthy, already hired former Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera.

Source
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/04/former-packers-coach-mike-mccarthy-has-now-interviewed-for-all-four-coaching-vacancies/

call_me_ishmael
01-05-2020, 12:11 AM
Joe Banner @JoeBanner13
The Cowboys should hire McCarthy while everyone else is running around the country and waiting for playoff coaches to be free. He is not a sure thing, but as good or better than any of the names out there to succeed

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
In recent years, the focus on Mike McCarthy was on his relationship with Aaron Rodgers. But it’s worth noting McCarthy's massive role in helping Rodgers become what he’s become. This would be a Dak-friendly hire, among other positives.

Yep to all of these things. McCarthy makes way too much sense for Dallas. He's the best coach available right now. As a Packer fan, I really dislike the move. As a McCarthy fan, I think it makes a lot of sense for him and certainly stability that the other openings do not.

George Cumby
01-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Question: how many SB winning head coaches have won another SB with their second team?

One? Two?

Seems like thin odds.

Edit: Looks like 0. That is Zero. One can always make history and break precedent, but it's clear retreads aren't all they are cracked up to be.

CaptainKickass
01-05-2020, 11:05 AM
Question: how many SB winning head coaches have won another SB with their second team?
Looks like 0. That is Zero.

However, according to SI

These six NFL coaches (http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/26/super-bowl-coaches-dick-vermeil-mike-holmgren-bill-parcells-john-fox-don-shula-dan-reeves)are in a class by themselves: they’re the only coaches who have gotten two different teams to a Super Bowl.who've taken multiple teams to the Superb Owl (as of Jan 2016)

Shula
Parcells
Reeves
Vermeil
Holmgren
Fox

call_me_ishmael
01-05-2020, 10:55 PM
I am shocked that Mac is the 2nd place in the odds behind the Oklahoma coach (whose name escapes me right now) in Vegas odds. Mac was +700, the OU dude was even steven.

I think the job is Mac's if he wants it, and it is insanely risky to offer an unproven college coach who consistently gets squashed against good teams over a proven commodity who has done largely nothing but win and have his team prepared for battle.

bobblehead
01-05-2020, 11:05 PM

One? Two?

Seems like thin odds.

Edit: Looks like 0. That is Zero. One can always make history and break precedent, but it's clear retreads aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Don Shula if I am recalling my trivia days correctly.

Joemailman
01-05-2020, 11:13 PM
Shula won Super Bowls with the Dolphins, but not the Colts.

Cleft Crusty
01-05-2020, 11:18 PM
Don Shula if I am recalling my trivia days correctly.

Shula's 1968 NFL championship with the Colts is the same as the Vikings NFL Championship in 1970. Everyone knows they were still two leagues and they played the "Super Bowl" after both leagues crowned their champions. Because the Colts and Vikings both lost the "Super Bowl" before the leagues merged, some weakly maintain that they were still Champions. But everyone knows they lost the Super Bowl and that game was for all the marbles.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 08:46 AM
KD Drummond @KDDrummondNFL
I dismissed Lewis as possible HC in Dallas, not bc I don't think he's a good coach... it's impossible to win in Cincy & he turned in annual playoff berths...

Assumed if Jerry went w/an NFL coach it'd be one w/ proven playoff success.

Still think it's MM, but could be wrong.

call_me_ishmael
01-06-2020, 08:57 AM
McCarthy to Dallas confirmed. Darn it. They're gonna be a really tough team now.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 08:59 AM
Wow.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Sources: The #Cowboys are focused on hiring former #Packers coach Mike McCarthy. They are currently in talks. A day after firing Jason Garrett, it appears they have their guy.

Jay Glazer @JayGlazer
Scoopage alert: the @dallascowboys have agreed to terms with Mike McCarthy to be their new head coach. Announcement and press conference expected later this week @NFLonFOX #cowboys

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
Former #Packers coach Mike McCarthy informed the other teams he talked with that he’s out. He’s in for Dallas.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 09:03 AM
Man, that ain't bad. From Packers to Cowboys. Only Giants and Bears compare as franchises. Maybe San Fran a notch below.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
Mike McCarthy tells me he just signed with the #Cowboys. Done deal. He’s their new head coach.

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
Mike McCarthy's decision only further strengthens the position of Josh McDaniels with the Browns and Panthers. He will talk to both in the coming days. Giants too

Harlan Huckleby
01-06-2020, 09:14 AM
This will be great fun. Stubby Does Dallas. More entertainment for Packer fans, whether he succeeds or fails.

Fosco33
01-06-2020, 09:19 AM
Wonder if he’ll want to keep Cooper or Cobb?

Joemailman
01-06-2020, 09:20 AM
Pretty good situation for him. Good, still young QB. Premier RB signed for several years. Good receiver in Cooper. Wonder if he keeps Marinelli as DC.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 09:28 AM
Pretty good situation for him. Good, still young QB. Premier RB signed for several years. Good receiver in Cooper. Wonder if he keeps Marinelli as DC.

He also has Richard.

esoxx
01-06-2020, 09:33 AM
Stubby

Zool
01-06-2020, 09:44 AM
Over/under on days until Fat Mike misses a meeting to get a massage?

pbmax
01-06-2020, 09:47 AM
If Stubby returns to Lambeau in blue and white, he's getting a standing O, right? According to Joe's thread, that won't be next year though.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 09:48 AM
Over/under on days until Fat Mike misses a meeting to get a massage?

More time that it will take for Cowboys fans to complain Mike is ignoring the run game.

Bossman641
01-06-2020, 09:53 AM
Happy for MM, will be interesting to see how he's changed with his year off.

Hat tip to all the posters who said MM was a joke and would never coach again in the league.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 09:56 AM

Hat tip to all the posters who said MM was a joke and would never coach again in the league.

Also a reminder that almost all NFL people remember who beat them.

Sherman remembered Denver's defense against GB and hired Donatell.

Gute remembered the two losses to Atlanta and put La Fleur on the interview list.

Jones obviously remembers getting stung by McCarthy's Packer teams.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 10:05 AM
New Cowboys’ HC Mike McCarthy stayed over Jerry Jones’ house on Saturday night, per source. “Once you stay at Jerrry’s house, he doesn’t lose his guy,” said source.

WONDER HOW MUCH JOHNNY WALKER BLUE WAS INVOLVED?

Gregg Rosenthal @greggrosenthal
Garrett and McCarthy share an agent yet Garrett was begging for his job at the same time McCarthy was asking for extra bath towels at Jerry’s house.

DOES MAKE ME WONDER AGAIN WHY THEY WERE MEETING AND THEN WAITING? UNTIL THEY ANNOUNCED HIS REMOVAL THIS WEEKEND, I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A JOINT ANNOUNCEMENT. WERE THEY KEEPING GARRETT DANGLING?

Cheesehead Craig
01-06-2020, 10:08 AM
All those media shitheads who got this right that Garrett was going to be fired. What do they know?

call_me_ishmael
01-06-2020, 10:10 AM

FWIW, I've been one of the biggest Big Mac cheerleaders here, but at one point I did speculate whether he'd *want* to coach again due to having to uproot his family, his weight problem, his career earnings being so high, etc. I am not sure it's the right choice for him personally but I wish him well and think he'll do a good job. He was always all class in GB and put the team first. I have no complaints or ill will towards Big Mac.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 10:11 AM
All those media shitheads who got this right that Garrett was going to be fired. What do they know?

Giants opening still there. Then playoffs, Then being wrong about FA, the Combine and the Draft.

Joemailman
01-06-2020, 10:24 AM

I didn't think he was a joke. But I did think there was a possibility that teams would decide that his time as a HC was up due to a changing game. I think the fact that MM didn't just sit back in his recliner and wait for teams to call was a key. He diligently prepared for his next job opportunity.

Bossman641
01-06-2020, 10:24 AM
FWIW, I've been one of the biggest Big Mac cheerleaders here, but at one point I did speculate whether he'd *want* to coach again due to having to uproot his family, his weight problem, his career earnings being so high, etc. I am not sure it's the right choice for him personally but I wish him well and think he'll do a good job. He was always all class in GB and put the team first. I have no complaints or ill will towards Big Mac.

I agree 100% on whether it's the "right" thing to do, but I'm sure it's been eating him up not to be coaching.

Joemailman
01-06-2020, 10:27 AM
New Cowboys’ HC Mike McCarthy stayed over Jerry Jones’ house on Saturday night, per source. “Once you stay at Jerrry’s house, he doesn’t lose his guy,” said source.

Does Jerry actually have a house or is that referring to AT&T Stadium?

Fosco33
01-06-2020, 10:54 AM
I feel like Cowboy Mike Stubby deserves his own thread where we can laugh at the media fodder, etc

pbmax
01-06-2020, 11:59 AM
Also a reminder that almost all NFL people remember who beat them.

Sherman remembered Denver's defense against GB and hired Donatell.

Gute remembered the two losses to Atlanta and put La Fleur on the interview list.

Jones obviously remembers getting stung by McCarthy's Packer teams.

Knew it!

Todd Archer @toddarcher
Mike McCarthy went 7-3 against the Cowboys while with Green Bay, including two divisional-round playoff wins. That played a part in this decision by the Joneses. They also came away impressed with the work he did as he sat out in 2018, including a... https://es.pn/36unJQ0

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
Was told one of the big reasons the Cowboys liked McCarthy was they felt he regularly beat them with what they thought was inferior talent. In short, they thought he outcoached them.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 12:06 PM
Does Jerry actually have a house or is that referring to AT&T Stadium?

Pretty sure he has a home, but maybe he is just renting?

pbmax
01-06-2020, 09:04 PM
Around The NFL @AroundTheNFL
Browns request to interview Eagles DC Jim Schwartz for head coaching vacancy (via @TomPelissero)

http://nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001095078/article/browns-request-to-interview-eagles-dc-jim-schwartz

pbmax
01-06-2020, 09:12 PM
ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk

Carolina to interview Josh McDaniels on Tuesday

Bretsky
01-06-2020, 09:50 PM
ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk

Carolina to interview Josh McDaniels on Tuesday

It would be good to separate the Hoody Geniuses to improve the competitive balance in the NFL

Zool
01-07-2020, 02:12 AM
It would be good to separate the Hoody Geniuses to improve the competitive balance in the NFL

It would be good to have the Pats not have 6 auto wins per year in their division. They are on the downward spiral. Article on ESPN right now detailing Bellicheats terrible drafts lately.

pbmax
01-07-2020, 08:57 AM

Pretty sure its back in the AFC Least.

pbmax
01-07-2020, 09:15 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Panthers are hiring #Baylor coach Matt Rhule, source says (as @PeteThamel reported). They are working out the deal as we speak. They did not want him to get on the plane to the #Giants.

So Rhule doesn't go to Giants, who must now go to choice #2. And Hoody Jr.'s interview is apparently canceled.

So who was leaking all the details about the interview for Rhule in NY? And all his connections to the northeast? Must have been his agents doing a good job of snookering insiders.

pbmax
01-07-2020, 10:21 AM
New York Giants are finalizing a deal to make Patriots’ wide receivers coach Joe Judge their next head coach, league sources tell ESPN. Deal was in the works as of last night, which is another reason Matt Rhule took the Panthers’ HC job.

Well, this explains Rhule in Carolina. But why?

He was WR coach and ST coordinator. So Harbaugh plan?

esoxx
01-07-2020, 03:01 PM
New York Giants are finalizing a deal to make Patriots’ wide receivers coach Joe Judge their next head coach, league sources tell ESPN.

With they disarray the Giants are in, they may as well have hired Judge Judy.

Zool
01-07-2020, 09:32 PM
Now NY sports has 2 Judges.

Cleft Crusty
01-08-2020, 10:36 AM
Oh, how quickly things change. From March 12:

Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt
Ron Wolf once said his greatest regret during his tenure in Green Bay was not listening to a young scout pound the table for Terrell Davis during the 1995 draft. That scout was 35-yo John Dorsey. John's always had an eye for talent. What he pulled off today was his opus magnum.

Tony Ditcharo@Saxmachine1013
I thought the same thing...what an eye to see that Odell kid could play WR (after 5 years) and what a fleece move only giving up your 1st, 3rd and starting safety. No other GM could have pulled that off.

3irty1
01-08-2020, 10:54 AM
Here's hoping that Prescott takes a big leap under McCarthy. Rodgers always plays best with a giant chip on his shoulder.

pbmax
01-08-2020, 05:03 PM
Oh, how quickly things change. From March 12:

Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt
Ron Wolf once said his greatest regret during his tenure in Green Bay was not listening to a young scout pound the table for Terrell Davis during the 1995 draft. That scout was 35-yo John Dorsey. John's always had an eye for talent. What he pulled off today was his opus magnum.

Tony Ditcharo@Saxmachine1013
I thought the same thing...what an eye to see that Odell kid could play WR (after 5 years) and what a fleece move only giving up your 1st, 3rd and starting safety. No other GM could have pulled that off.

Ditcharo would fit in well here.

pbmax
01-08-2020, 05:04 PM
Here's hoping that Prescott takes a big leap under McCarthy. Rodgers always plays best with a giant chip on his shoulder.

You will not be amazed that the press conference sounded exactly like his time here. System will be built around his QB to make him successful. Elliot will get a lot of touches.

esoxx
01-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Stubby

George Cumby
01-08-2020, 06:59 PM
You will not be amazed that the press conference sounded exactly like his time here. System will be built around his QB to make him successful. Elliot will get a lot of touches.

But are they gonna get that fixed and work on their pad level?

pbmax
01-08-2020, 07:03 PM
But are they gonna get that fixed and work on their pad level?

That is week 1 PC.

pbmax
01-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Sources: The #Browns are planning to hire #Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski as their new head coach. Runner-up last year, winner this year.

Sorry Ras.

mraynrand
01-12-2020, 11:25 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Sources: The #Browns are planning to hire #Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski as their new head coach. Runner-up last year, winner this year.

Sorry Ras.

Shouldn’t take too long to install that offense they used against the Packers and 49ers.

pbmax
01-12-2020, 11:45 AM
Shouldn’t take too long to install that offense they used against the Packers and 49ers.

Irony is that Zimmer insisted Kubiak be brought on board to help running game.

Stefanski was too pass happy for Zim's comfort level. Not sure what he runs when he is on his own.

Cheesehead Craig
01-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Irony is that Zimmer insisted Kubiak be brought on board to help running game.

Stefanski was too pass happy for Zim's comfort level. Not sure what he runs when he is on his own.

Everyone is too pass happy for him.

Zool
01-12-2020, 12:30 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Sorry Ras.

Not sure winner is the right statement for getting the Cleveland job.

Rastak
01-12-2020, 05:20 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Sorry Ras.

Don't be. I am thinking they promote Kubiak's kid and Gary stays to train him up.

pbmax
01-12-2020, 09:47 PM
Not sure winner is the right statement for getting the Cleveland job.

He's got a job like a baseball manager. There is a report they will go over the game plan with the analytics team before each game. That is not going to go over well in Head Coach land.