PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 17 @ Detroit

pbmax
12-29-2019, 03:30 PM
Ugly. First half had to be one of the ugliest games by Rodgers in his career. Even a far better second half featured at least 6 over or under thrown balls, one of which wa intercepted.

Jones was good but banged up and they went away from him for long stretches.

Lions left Packers open deep and Rodgers just could not hit anyone outside of Adams first TD.

Defense allowed a LOT of run yardage out of 2-4 nickel, which they spent a lot of time in. They did adjust and some combo of folks disappeared Kenny Golladay unless he got hurt.

Lost Bulaga and Linsley for the game, which did not help the run game. LEEEEEROY Jenkins might have had his first missed pass block of the year on a stunt by Flowers.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 03:36 PM
So 4th quarter comeback and a GWD! Everyone loves Rodgers game today, right?

:D

pittstang5
12-29-2019, 03:43 PM
Ugly. First half had to be one of the ugliest games by Rodgers in his career. Even a far better second half featured at least 6 over or under thrown balls, one of which wa intercepted.

Jones was good but banged up and they went away from him for long stretches.

Lions left Packers open deep and Rodgers just could not hit anyone outside of Adams first TD.

Defense allowed a LOT of run yardage out of 2-4 nickel, which they spent a lot of time in. They did adjust and some combo of folks disappeared Kenny Golladay unless he got hurt.

Lost Bulaga and Linsley for the game, which did not help the run game. LEEEEEROY Jenkins might have had his first missed pass block of the year on a stunt by Flowers.

Pretty sure Golladay left in the 1st or 2nd quarter - Concussion protocol if I remember correctly.

Fosco33
12-29-2019, 03:44 PM
See new Tweets
Conversation

Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky
Aaron Rodgers had 16 overthrows for incompletions Sunday. Not only was that a career high, it's tied for the most by a QB since ESPN began tracking them in 2006. Josh Freeman also had 16 in his lone start with the Vikings in 2013.

Fosco33
12-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Getting back Bulaga, linsley and Williams and letting Jones/Lazard and others heal up for a week will help a lot.

George Cumby
12-29-2019, 03:46 PM
IMO the Pack looked tired today. Not as much snap in their legs.

Patricia had the Lions playing hard. Watch out next year.

Plus the Lions had some emotional stuff going on this game. WR had a kid die over the weekend. Tragic.

Bretsky
12-29-2019, 03:47 PM
Rodgers played like a marginal starting an today...like the bottom third of starters. His footwork sucked. And today he was not good enough to make up for unacceptable mechanics. If he plays like that next game we are one and done and the game is not close. It’s a good thing Detroit didn’t have stafford.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-29-2019, 03:49 PM
I don't get uncool Pack fans being pissed at the pick. Knowing Scott, he woulda pulled off a 20 yards punt and put the Lions in fg range.

And who was that idiot that said "Erin" always choke in the clutch? Even wrote some lyrics about the ordeal.

On the 2nd of December, in the year of Moses
A choker was born upon thorns of roses
A creature of God, a child of Moses
The Jews aptly named, Erin of the Roses

George Cumby
12-29-2019, 03:51 PM
^ At least it's (kind of) original.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-29-2019, 03:57 PM
See new Tweets
Conversation

Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky
Aaron Rodgers had 16 overthrows for incompletions Sunday. Not only was that a career high, it's tied for the most by a QB since ESPN began tracking them in 2006. Josh Freeman also had 16 in his lone start with the Vikings in 2013.

Who gives a fuck? Great Arm of Butte won the fucking game in the clutch.

George Cumby
12-29-2019, 04:01 PM
The comments are Gold:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/29/packers-come-back-to-beat-lions-claim-a-playoff-bye/#comments

Rutnstrut
12-29-2019, 04:09 PM
So many "lesser" QB's look quite a bit better than Rodgers this year.

HowardRoark
12-29-2019, 04:11 PM
Just heard the strange stat...Pack wins twice against Lions and led a total of zero seconds during the total time of both games.

red
12-29-2019, 04:11 PM
The comments are Gold:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/29/packers-come-back-to-beat-lions-claim-a-playoff-bye/#comments

i would just like to add that the third post in that thread is done by a poster named red

that is not me

although i don't disagree with them

red
12-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Just heard the strange stat...Pack wins twice against Lions and led a total of zero seconds during the total time of both games.

gotta be some kind of record

Packgator
12-29-2019, 04:21 PM

Crazy. Hard to believe this is the 1 or 2 seed heading into the playoffs.

MadtownPacker
12-29-2019, 04:45 PM
How come there wasn’t a winners and losers last week?

Defense did great, came up with most of the momentum changing plays.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 04:51 PM

Efficient.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
I disagree. But maybe 10-6, 9-7. They are 8-1 in one-score games (games decided by 8 points or fewer). The #Packers have had close games go the other way in other years. And surely will again.

Close game records are volatile and don't repeat year after year. Most of the numbers are worrisome. Been a far greater year than I expected, but at times they are just treading water.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 04:55 PM
Aaron Schatz @FO_ASchatz
@jasonrmcintyre and @CraigGreiner3
By our numbers the worst 13-3 teams were the 1999 Colts and the 2012 Falcons. The Packers will be down there with them but I don't know if they'll be lower.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Jersey Al - GBP @JerseyAlGBP
Rodgers praising Lazard for the adjustment he made on the big third down catch he got hurt on: "Guys who don't have that kind of feel, just run a route and get covered." No names mentioned, but...

ThunderDan
12-29-2019, 05:03 PM
How come there wasn’t a winners and losers last week?

Defense did great, came up with most of the momentum changing plays.

You know you could start that thread.

ThunderDan
12-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
I disagree. But maybe 10-6, 9-7. They are 8-1 in one-score games (games decided by 8 points or fewer). The #Packers have had close games go the other way in other years. And surely will again.

Close game records are volatile and don't repeat year after year. Most of the numbers are worrisome. Been a far greater year than I expected, but at times they are just treading water.

I concure with this. But I also believe we are pointing in the right direction and should win games by more next year. We need to get more weapons on offense and a couple of players on D.

Joemailman
12-29-2019, 05:05 PM
People think this win was ugly? Patriots let #2 seed slip away with home loss to Dolphins. Now that's ugly.

Bretsky
12-29-2019, 05:07 PM
People think this win was ugly? Patriots let #2 seed slip away with home loss to Dolphins. Now that's ugly.

It seems like for much of this game we were attempting to do the same thing.

If I didn't know better I would have through AROD was putting serious $$ against his team

pbmax
12-29-2019, 05:11 PM

Oh, its better than the Patriots result, but trust me, it was ugly.

ThunderDan
12-29-2019, 05:12 PM

It’s all part of the WWE NFL script with NE making the Super Bowl.

Joemailman
12-29-2019, 05:12 PM

gotta be some kind of record

Tied the record.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
The Packers went 2-0 against the Lions without holding a lead in regulation in either game (both games won on game-ending field goals). Per ELIAS: It's only the second time in NFL history a team went 2-0 against an opponent despite not holding a lead in regulation. The other instance was the 1977 49ers over the Saints.

ZachMN
12-29-2019, 05:17 PM
I realize we've had ugly close wins but given where we were last year this is good. The way the roster has been changed, 1st year coach this could be a solid team going forward even if we got lucky for 3 maybe 4 of these games. We'll have one playoff game for sure and that makes me happy. Someone should school Erin on adjusting to the physical reality he's at now. He can't make those throws with bad footwork etc. Still understands the game as good as anyone so....utilize that for three four more years and build a kick ass D.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 05:25 PM
I realize we've had ugly close wins but given where we were last year this is good. The way the roster has been changed, 1st year coach this could be a solid team going forward even if we got lucky for 3 maybe 4 of these games. We'll have one playoff game for sure and that makes me happy. Someone should school Erin on adjusting to the physical reality he's at now. He can't make those throws with bad footwork etc. Still understands the game as good as anyone so....utilize that for three four more years and build a kick ass D.

The shorter the throw, the more I think mechanics play into it.

On the intermediate stuff, I think its timing. Too much looking for more elsewhere. In the second half when pressured and he HAD to let it go, suddenly the touch was back.

On the deep stuff, its all mental. He was under-throwing all off them earlier in the year now they are all too long.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 05:27 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz @WesHod
By the way, Lucas Patrick and Jared Veldheer. Holy smokes what a relief showing from those two (and the #Packers without any other OL reserves)

pbmax
12-29-2019, 05:32 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz @WesHod
Bryan Bulaga is out under concussion protocol #Packers

Green Bay Packers @packers
#Packers C Corey Linsley is questionable to return with a back injury. #GBvsDET

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2019, 05:39 PM
On the deep stuff, its all mental. He was under-throwing all off them earlier in the year now they are all too long.

Michael Jordan had games where he missed sixteen jump shots in a row. He'd go to the hoop in between misses, like Rodgers dinking and dunking.

Sorry for babbling.

I agree it is mental, typical in sports. Why I remember Mickey Mantle went on an 8 game hitting slump.

Teamcheez1
12-29-2019, 05:42 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz @WesHod
By the way, Lucas Patrick and Jared Veldheer. Holy smokes what a relief showing from those two (and the #Packers without any other OL reserves)

This is where Gute shows he can shine.

Teamcheez1
12-29-2019, 05:49 PM
What did Rodgers say in his postgame press conference?

I don't have to win the games with our defense playing well.
The WR's don't know how to run the right routes.
I will enjoy a scotch after the game.
I'm more interested in my $28M Malibu home than the game.
You're stuck paying me another $100M whethere I play well or not.

RashanGary
12-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Michael Jordan had games where he missed sixteen jump shots in a row. He'd go to the hoop in between misses, like Rodgers dinking and dunking.

Sorry for babbling.

I agree it is mental, typical in sports. Why I remember Mickey Mantle went on an 8 game hitting slump.

i like this post

George Cumby
12-29-2019, 07:17 PM
I honestly don't know what this team's chances are. I'm not totally on board, but damn, it's been fun.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 07:22 PM
I'll say this about the receiving corp. Just watched the highlights (and yes, they are just the highlights) of the rest of the games and Amari Cooper, a NO receiver not Michael Thomas and f*****g Golden Tate all made spectacular grabs from distance for their QBs.

Only Lazard does this for Rodgers right now. The rest have trouble catching balls actually in their radius. Adams rarely needs to because he and Rodgers still share a brain.

But its not just them. Rodgers deep ball touch has deserted him. I expect he has made too many adjustments to too many receivers and he is lost. It was all under throws earlier in the year and today they were all too deep.

The short stuff still evades him at times, though I think its still improved due to health and lack of injuries compared to the last two years.

But I think the former point, lack of respect among opponents for the deep ball, has led to some of the problem with the short game. Packers were able to get deep on the Lions often despite a lack of WR speed. Its almost as if the entire focus of the Lions offense was on the shorter stuff.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 07:52 PM
Return flight hits airport.

https://twitter.com/packers/status/1211463954356154368

Joemailman
12-29-2019, 07:54 PM
Return flight hits airport.

https://twitter.com/packers/status/1211463954356154368

Surprised they were able to fly in. Pretty heavy fog here again.

beveaux1
12-29-2019, 08:02 PM
PB, I believe the opposition will use Detroit’s formula to defense Rodgers. They’ll make him throw deep to beat them with every receiver except Adams where they’ll shade coverage. The difference will be that most playoff team’s defense will be better than Detroit’s.

Until Rodgers can consistently hit that pass, we’ll struggle to score.

On a similar note, Scantling runs a semicircle route for a post. It’s almost embarrassing.

RashanGary
12-29-2019, 08:03 PM
So glad to have the bye. Hope SF plays philly and loses. that run defense could match well to SFs run offense. And Wentz does have some beast in him. Could see two lambeau home games regardless

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2019, 08:10 PM
Surprised they were able to fly in. Pretty heavy fog here again.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SnarlingMixedKomododragon-size_restricted.gif

pbmax
12-29-2019, 08:36 PM
Your yearly reminder that Pete Carrol is a dope. Great with players and D. Terrible at offense and personnel.

Blocking Bosa with a tiny TE was bad design too.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 08:41 PM
That could be a fumble. If it’s a caught pass and tackle (which was the call hence 2nd and 16) then it was a fumble. He did not have the ball before he hit the ground.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 08:41 PM
PB, I believe the opposition will use Detroit’s formula to defense Rodgers. They’ll make him throw deep to beat them with every receiver except Adams where they’ll shade coverage. The difference will be that most playoff team’s defense will be better than Detroit’s.

Until Rodgers can consistently hit that pass, we’ll struggle to score.

On a similar note, Scantling runs a semicircle route for a post. It’s almost embarrassing.

Agree

beveaux1
12-29-2019, 08:42 PM
Bang bang. Could be incomplete. we’ll see.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 08:43 PM
Incomplete pass makes more sense.

beveaux1
12-29-2019, 09:03 PM
I like Lazard. He’s definitely our #2 receiver. Kumerow is a willing blocker, but he’s SO slow on his routes. Never gets separation. That’s got to be the reason he’s so seldom targeted.

Scantling should be benched. Route running is bad. Never goes to the proper spot. He can be re-routed easily by LBs and DBs. Hands are suspect, also.

Allison seems to be trying too hard. He’s never open on medium and deep routes, but he gets open on short routes better than anybody besides Adams. Blocks pretty well, but fumbles often trying to get extra yardage, which he never gets.

I wonder why Grant hasn’t been given a chance. I’d take Scantling off the active roster and try Grant. He’s a natural slot and might have the quickness to get open early. He also might have the experience to know how to be where Rodgers wants his receiver to be.

We need to do something to re-charge this offense. I just don’t know of anything else that will help.

Fosco33
12-29-2019, 09:05 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz @WesHod
Bryan Bulaga is out under concussion protocol #Packers

Green Bay Packers @packers
#Packers C Corey Linsley is questionable to return with a back injury. #GBvsDET

Game went better when Linsley went out.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 09:19 PM
Game went better when Linsley went out.

He has had some rough moments. Wonder if back has been an issue.

Bretsky
12-29-2019, 10:03 PM
Tank aside, we really could use DJ Metcalf. Big long guy with speed. Man that would look good next to Devante

call_me_ishmael
12-29-2019, 10:07 PM
I'd like to see an Amari Cooper personally. The Packers need great route runners. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Packers make a play for him in FA and then address WR in the draft early as well.

I am now 100% convinced Gooter will try to land a QB in the draft on day one.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 10:35 PM
I'd like to see an Amari Cooper personally. The Packers need great route runners. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Packers make a play for him in FA and then address WR in the draft early as well.

I am now 100% convinced Gooter will try to land a QB in the draft on day one.

Cooper has unreliable hands and routes. I would prefer steady even if you need to sacrifice speed.

Zool
12-29-2019, 10:37 PM
Cooper has unreliable hands and routes. I would prefer steady even if you need to sacrifice speed.

Sounds like KC will need to release Sammy Watkins. He’d be an upgrade over almost everyone who catches passes.

pbmax
12-29-2019, 10:39 PM
Sounds like KC will need to release Sammy Watkins. He’d be an upgrade over almost everyone who catches passes.

Is he on his sixth team at this point? Feels like he has been available forever.

call_me_ishmael
12-29-2019, 10:58 PM

I didn't realize that is a thing. That doesn't sound great. I thought this guy was Greg Jennings without the beef on Rodgers :-)

call_me_ishmael
12-29-2019, 11:16 PM
https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/1211414193276100613

The #Packers did not lead for a single second against the Lions this season. Not one second. And they went 2-0 against their NFC North rival.

Of all the crazy craziness this season, that has to rank as one of the craziest.

Wow.

Zool
12-30-2019, 02:43 AM
Is he on his sixth team at this point? Feels like he has been available forever.

3rd right now. Traded to Rams in the last year of his rookie deal. Signed a huge deal with KC in 2018, but they are gonna be strapped soon.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2019, 06:04 AM
With the Packers so desperate for new blood at WR and TE,is it good that the Packer record is better than their talent level? Maybe 5-11 with 8 heart breaking losses was the ticket

What happened to Rodgers feasting on back shoulder throws? Jordy caught 3 every game. Perhaps defenses have wised-up to that gimmick. Don't remember seeing it in NFL games this year.

Fritz
12-30-2019, 03:11 PM
Just some observations from the game:

Remember a few years ago when every other play the refs were trotting the chain crew out there to measure for a first down, and everybody was fixated on where the refs were spotting the ball?

What happened to that? I didn't see the chain gang come out to measure once, not once, in that game, and haven't, for a while. So did the refs suddenly get better at spotting the ball, or did we just stop worrying about where the ball was spotted?

I wonder why someone like Allison doesn't work on his back-shoulder catches. That, as Harlan said, no longer gets used at all.