PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Newspaper writer on GB.

ND72
04-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Green Bay selects fifth in the draft, but reportedly has yet to invite any of the top five prospects not named Reggie Bush -- QBs Matt Leinart and Vince Young, OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, DE Mario Williams or LB A.J. Hawk -- to town for interviews, a common protocol across the league. It makes you wonder whether Thompson, with a massive rebuilding project on his hands, is thinking of trading out of that high spot for more picks.

ND72
04-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Think of this, and this is just fantasy here, but play along.

Say we trade down to pick #7. We take Michael Huff....say we trade JWalk for #31 to seattle (or denver's or whatever)...and we take the top LB, Thomas Howard, or someone like that at the end of round 1. we could also then have 2, 2nd round picks with that trade down...all of a sudden we have 4 picks in the top 40 of the draft. I love AJ hawk, and want him in a Packer uni next year....but i'm also not stupid.

billy_oliver880
04-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Nobody would call you stupid ND. This would be a great idea. The chances go up greatly of having contributors immediatly.

BooHoo
04-16-2006, 08:17 PM
I do not mind trading the #5 pick. In fact, I believe that is what TT has in mind all along. Will be surprised if he doesn't trade down. Also think that Walker will be traded on draft day or before. Hoping we get a high pick. Will someone be willing to give us a 2nd rounder for him?

Partial
04-16-2006, 08:25 PM
no no no, draft Hawk, take the 31st pick or whatever if can, take the next best linebacker with the 31st pick.

Trade down in the second and add Davin Joseph. With the extra third, add Brandon Williams.

In the 3rd or 4th round, draft Eslinger. You have two prototype players for the zone blocking system, and you're money. Your defense is also much better.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 08:27 PM
He's actually bringing in a few people next week, but instead of bringing in the top guys with his 30 chances to see players, he's bringing in the guys from the later rounds on which he doesn't have much information. An interesting approach if you ask me (even though you didn't).

retailguy
04-16-2006, 08:33 PM
He's actually bringing in a few people next week, but instead of bringing in the top guys with his 30 chances to see players, he's bringing in the guys from the later rounds on which he doesn't have much information. An interesting approach if you ask me (even though you didn't).

Thanks for passing this on zig. I did not know this. I really try to understand how people think, and understanding TT is maddening. when you think about it, this really does make sense.

I'm still not convinced that TT will trade down, but I am convinced he knows who he'll take if that player is there at 5.

I seriously doubt if he knows today, who he'll take in the 4th round if that player is there. Maybe these 30 draft visits will help him make that call.

Maybe the guy really is brilliant. Gosh, I hope so. If not, its Dan Devine all over again. :shock:

Partial
04-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I personally think they know everything they need to know about AJ Hawk(their shouldn't be any question here). The proof is in the pudding. Watch tape. The kid is a straight up balla. He's already got the blade on the impala.

Harlan Huckleby
04-16-2006, 09:17 PM
I don't seem them trading down. The top 8 guys are too tempting.

I think they'll take Vince Young if he's there. Or Mario.

Charles Woodson
04-16-2006, 09:34 PM

Say we trade down to pick #7. We take Michael Huff....say we trade JWalk for #31 to seattle (or denver's or whatever)...and we take the top LB, Thomas Howard, or someone like that at the end of round 1. we could also then have 2, 2nd round picks with that trade down...all of a sudden we have 4 picks in the top 40 of the draft. I love AJ hawk, and want him in a Packer uni next year....but i'm also not stupid.

Or even better is if we trade down to number 7 and still get Hawk. :razz: i mean i would be happy. not likely but hey thats what your imaginations for

billy_oliver880
04-16-2006, 09:38 PM

Or even better is if we trade down to number 7 and still get Hawk. :razz: i mean i would be happy. not likely but hey thats what your imaginations for

Would you really be upset if we get sims though?

Partial
04-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Yes. Yes I would.

Hawk is leaps and bounds better than Sims.

Hawk is the Peyton Manning as

Sims is to Scott Mitchell.

Charles Woodson
04-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Yes. Yes I would.

I wouldnt. i think sims has good potential.

billy_oliver880
04-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Yes. Yes I would.

Do you think that Hawk could still be there at 7????? This is interesting...I never even thought of that.

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Why does Oakland want to move up to number 5? I mean other to block a trade from someone else. Neither Green Bay or San Fran really need a QB because both of them took first rounders last year. If TT really wants Young, he is going to take him. The only thing you might see is if the Packers take Young, and then wait to see if Oakland or Arizona get Hawk and then make the trade after the picks have been made, via New York, and San Deigo in 2004.

If anything the Packers would be looking to trade with Arizona at number 10. That is too far down in my opinion, especially with the talent of the top 5 or 6 players in this draft.

I think the Packers can go as low as 8 and still have a shot at Hawk. I think if Detroit had the chance, they would take Hawk. I wouldn't feel comfortable trading below Detroit. Rod Marinelli likes his linebackers fast and athletic.

There is a chance that Hawk my drop past the top ten because of his position only. Derrick Johnson Dropped last year out of the top 15, and it was mostly due to position. I honestly think that Thompson is keying on Hawk.

I believe nothing that comes out of the mouth's of GMs during this time, everything is a smoke screen, especially with the media. So if you here that Thompson really likes Young, or Huff he is mostly bullshiting everyone.

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Thompson said that they didn't bring any of the top guys last year either. He said that you normally bring in a top tier guy--only if you are worried about that player medically. Otherwise, he's brought in lower tiered guys that last two years that they might want to take a flier on late. I think McCarthy said that the teams know all they need to know about the top guys at this point. I wouldn't read anything into it.

RashanGary
04-17-2006, 12:18 AM

Great post like usual..You have awsome insight without being presumptuous. Pretty impressive "for a girl" :lol:

Tarlam!
04-17-2006, 04:19 AM
I like TT's mind on draft day. We will not be privy to any Shermanesque theatrics. Anybody TT chooses will be sounded out, top to bottom. I was in love with the Collins pick from the moment it was made. Murphy was doing real well, too, until he got that freak injury.

Poppinga was totally gung-ho. What he lacked in talent, he made up for in attitude. Yeah, he was older, but, a helluva mature guy that knew how to work hard.

Whittiker started. He was a little bit of a let down in terms of work ethic, but, he was a 7th!

There is reason to believe TT knows his rookies and the chart values of players. His trades last year in the draft were great for us. This was the first draft in many years where more than 2 players have vast upsides.

I would prfess that if TT had had the drafting duties directly after Wolf, we would have a fantastic and relatively cap friendly roster today. Instead, we used one season to purge ourselves out of cap hell, we have a QB back-up that is a potential starter, a killer safety and some sophomore depth.

TT also conducted himself professionally during the injury rash. Gado and Gardener anyone?

This is a great team in the making. There are as many question marks as there are pluses and minuses, but, this is a journey we're on. Enjoy the view!