PDA

View Full Version : Barnett's play

Patler
09-11-2006, 03:21 PM
I know there are many who dislike him, and I don't really want to debate how good he is or isn't. However, does anyone else believe as I do that he seemed to play more decisively yesterday than sometimes? He seemed to react better.

Perhaps because for the first time in his pro career he is playing a second season in a similar defense?

Partial
09-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Here is hoping.

Cheesehead Craig
09-11-2006, 03:25 PM
I thought Barnett had a good game. Still needs some work on the pass coverage, but his blitzing was good as was his defense against the run. JMO.

GoPack06
09-11-2006, 03:55 PM
I think as the season goes on are LB will start to be very good. Hawk is a rookie and Popiniga is pretty much a rookie at LB.

Barnett is solid.

RashanGary
09-11-2006, 03:57 PM
I think it might have been the best game I've seen him play. He didn't take silly risks. Instead of efforting himself out of plays when he was blocked, he just ate space and forced the RB in a different direction which ended up in a good short tackle for someone else.

I think him playing with the unselfish AJ Hawk and realizing that everyone wants to win, not get a stat line helps alot too.

Bossman641
09-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Count me among those who thought he had a good game. Although he got stoned in the hole once, he seemed to play much more downhill. He even had a nice move to get by Kreutz to put a hit on Grossman.

I can't really remember him being exposed in pass coverage badly. Of course when you have fullbacks and tightends open against Poppinga all day....

PTPaQ
09-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Other then stealing Nick Collins pick, yeh he played a good game.

Hawk didnt look bad, got some nice pressure on a few plays.

Hodge needs to replace Poppinga ASAP.

Brohm
09-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Other then stealing Nick Collins pick, yeh he played a good game.

Hawk didnt look bad, got some nice pressure on a few plays.

Hodge needs to replace Poppinga ASAP.

Unfortunately Hodge isn't quite up to snuff on coverage either. The only hope we have is that Poppinga improves or eventually Hodge shows enough for them to have Barnett move to the outside (which I think is the best option long term). Barnett won't like it but if he does well, show him the $$ and set our linbacking crew for the next 5 years.

SD GB fan
09-11-2006, 06:11 PM
put taylor back in

Bretsky
09-11-2006, 06:41 PM
I know there are many who dislike him, and I don't really want to debate how good he is or isn't. However, does anyone else believe as I do that he seemed to play more decisively yesterday than sometimes? He seemed to react better.

Perhaps because for the first time in his pro career he is playing a second season in a similar defense?

I was at the game and tended to focus in on certain players to critique them. I thought Barnett played a very solid game, as opposed to Poppinga who looked completely lost on just about every passing play.

Woodsen looked very good at time and lackadaisal on others. I think focus is his challenge. Al Harris, who I still think has it, is playing too soft on the coverage. He needs to play tighter to the WR.

MadtownPacker
09-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Woodsen looked very good at time and lackadaisal on others. I think focus is his challenge. Al Harris, who I still think has it, is playing too soft on the coverage. He needs to play tighter to the WR.
Carrol didnt appear to lack focus.

Harris should play tighter, on the #3 WR!!

Carroll needs to start. What are your thoughts on that Bretsky??

Bretsky
09-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Carrol didnt appear to lack focus.

Harris should play tighter, on the #3 WR!!

Carroll needs to start. What are your thoughts on that Bretsky??

I used to detest Carroll; he is improving and i'm OK with him. But he's still a very good #3. He's not a starter.

B

The Leaper
09-11-2006, 07:41 PM
I thought he did pretty well yesterday. Several guys on defense played well...and several played horrible. Starting Poppinga was a mistake. The kid is NOT READY to be an every down player in the NFL right now. That is why we picked up Taylor...so USE him.

Merlin
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
My personal thoughts are that because the defensive line ate up the blockers wo well that all of our LB's played pretty good in regards to the run. Popinga was exposed a little in his pass coverage but he is basically a rookie in regards to playing time and his injury.

Urlacher looked VERY average to me. It's like I have always said, when your d-line does it's job your LB's can look like super stars.

GrnBay007
09-11-2006, 09:59 PM
I've been watching this thread to see if we get wist's view on Barnett's play yesterday. ....I'm curious. :razz:

RashanGary
09-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Wist said in another thread that he though Barnett had a pretty good game. He said it was one of Barnetts better showings EVER.

I though Barnett looked damn good too. I think having Hawk next to him makes him stronger and more willing to just do his assignment instead of going for all the risky tackles. I think playing with Hakw makes him realize that just doing yoru job gets more credit than doing stupid shit. I hope so anyway.

Bretsky
09-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Wist said in another thread that he though Barnett had a pretty good game. He said it was one of Barnetts better showings EVER.

I though Barnett looked damn good too. I think having Hawk next to him makes him stronger and more willing to just do his assignment instead of going for all the risky tackles. I think playing with Hakw makes him realize that just doing yoru job gets more credit than doing stupid shit. I hope so anyway.

great points