PDA

View Full Version : HOF finalist LeRoy Butler

red
01-02-2020, 06:24 PM
butler has made the final 15 cut for the pro football hall of fame

it is the first year he is eligible

good luck leroy, you are an all time great in packer fans hearts no matter what happening in the HOF voting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByoPFu7SOo

red
01-02-2020, 06:29 PM
my god, look at some of those safety blitzes he did

so fast

esoxx
01-02-2020, 06:52 PM
One of my favorite Packers.

He could do it all.

Joemailman
01-02-2020, 07:00 PM
One of the great blitzers ever. Had 38 INT's and 20.5 sacks in his career. How many guys have a stat line like that? I was at a game in 1998 against 49ers where after falling behind 19-6, 49ers had tied the game at 22 and had all the momentum. Leroy sacked Steve Young for an 11 yard loss forcing a punt and the Packers went on to win 36-22. That play turned that game around.

Playing on the same team as Brett Favre and Reggie White, he probably never quite got the recognition he deserved.

pbmax
01-02-2020, 08:15 PM
His candidacy has been building. Was getting no regard compared to Brian Dawkins and the Cowboys S Darren Woodson, Atwater and Lynch.

Now he is on level with Atwatera and Lynch with Woodson left aside.

pbmax
01-02-2020, 08:35 PM
Pat Yasinskas, who has been in the HOF voting room three times (no idea if he had a vote) thinks Butler is the #5 candidate, better than Lynch and Atwater, only behind Polamalu on D.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/01/02/ranking-the-2020-pro-football-hall-of-fame-finalists/13/

George Cumby
01-02-2020, 09:08 PM
Great news and well deserved.

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2020, 10:17 PM
One of the great blitzers ever. Had 38 INT's and 20.5 sacks in his career. How many guys have a stat line like that? I was at a game in 1998 against 49ers where after falling behind 19-6, 49ers had tied the game at 22 and had all the momentum. Leroy sacked Steve Young for an 11 yard loss forcing a punt and the Packers went on to win 36-22. That play turned that game around.

Playing on the same team as Brett Favre and Reggie White, he probably never quite got the recognition he deserved.

He was the first with 20+ interceptions and 20+ sacks.

MadtownPacker
01-03-2020, 09:13 AM
Will the invention of the Lambeau leap tip the scale? It is used by the entire NFL now.

Leroy seems like a great dude. Always smiling. You could tell his presence was like a big brother who always has you back.

MadtownPacker
01-03-2020, 09:14 AM
He was the first with 20+ interceptions and 20+ sacks.Fitting that he gets inducted in 2020!!

George Cumby
01-03-2020, 09:46 AM
Will the invention of the Lambeau leap tip the scale? It is used by the entire NFL now.

Leroy seems like a great dude. Always smiling. You could tell his presence was like a big brother who always has you back.

I think it was in the late '90's, Reggie gave this semi-controversial speech to the Wisconsin Legislature (THIS ISN'T POLITICAL, PB!! :-) ). During the subsequent flap, tame by today's standards, LeRoy pulls Reggie aside, by his own account, granted, and tells Reggie (I'm paraphrasing) "Bro', everyone just wants to see you as this big, lovable, sweet guy. Give them what they want and keep the other stuff to yourself."

So yeah, a good big brother.

MadtownPacker
01-03-2020, 09:58 AM
PB is gonna be a first ballot PackerRats HOFer the way he gots all you bitches tucking your tails in! :lol:

I like that story and it falls in line with the great leadership Leroy provided.

gbgary
01-03-2020, 03:45 PM
was greatness!

Cheesehead Craig
01-03-2020, 05:13 PM
Those were some big shoulder pads.

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2021, 12:53 AM
I can't believe Butler might not get in. I was looking at Pro Football Reference. They have a Hall of Fame monitor.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_DB.htm

Among DBs, the only guy above Butler who isn't in the Hall of Fame is Darrelle Revis--who isn't eligible yet. Butler was miles ahead of John Lynch and one spot above Troy Polamalu. Polamalu and Butler played the same amount of years. They have the same number of 1st team All-Pro berths, Butler has him beat in tackles, sacks, and interceptions. The only thing Polamalu beats him on is Pro Bowl (popularity contest).

Other guys who I feel should be in that are highly rated by Pro Football Reference:
LB Randy Gradishar
LB Karl Mecklenburg
CB Ronde Barber
WR Reggie Wayne
WR Torry Holt

I hope QB Ken Anderson gets in one day. I got into football about the time he won the MVP and took his team to the Super Bowl.

run pMc
03-03-2021, 05:27 PM
Butler will likely get in next year or the year after. He's worthy. Some years it depends on who's ahead of you in the logjam to get in, and if there are any first-ballot types (and how many).

Ken Anderson was a really good QB...I'm surprised he's not in yet.

MadtownPacker
03-03-2021, 08:52 PM
It’s because he wasn’t an attention whore like those pricks.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2021, 01:42 AM
my god, look at some of those safety blitzes he did

so fast

Great stuff. He was a CB when he came out and played there his first two years, so he had top notch speed for a S. That's an impressive highlights video--showing his versatility. That pick on the flea flicker was phenomenal (I think against Erik Kramer and the Bears) and then the next play was a sweet pick on Brad Johnson and the Vikings.