PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Hire Mike McCarthy

Joemailman
01-06-2020, 11:10 AM
Fosco is right. Packers coach of 13 years deserves his own thread.

This will be a different situation for McCarthy. With Ted Thompson's aversion to public appearances, McCarthy was the face of the franchise when it came to talking about player personnel matters. Now he'll be able to stay in the background more and just be a coach.

Last year everybody was hiring the young offensive geniuses at HC. This year it's been Ron Rivera and Mike McCarthy, 2 guys with a combined 22 years of NFL head coaching experience.

esoxx
01-06-2020, 12:05 PM
Stubby

pbmax
01-06-2020, 12:05 PM
M4 might never have to step to the podium again.

Gotarace
01-06-2020, 12:12 PM
Good Luck Stubby...Prove us wrong and show us you can Coach. Hope that Texas BBQ sauce doesn't make your playbook unreadable on Sunday Afternoons.

George Cumby
01-06-2020, 12:59 PM
This is gonna be interesting.

Super talented roster.

Jerrah.

Locker room issues?

A real litmus test for M3.

I always thought his strength as a coach was his leadership skills. We will see if that pans out.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-06-2020, 02:18 PM
Good Luck Stubby...Prove us wrong and show us you can Coach. Hope that Texas BBQ sauce doesn't make your playbook unreadable on Sunday Afternoons.

Hope the bbq sauce does not make him fat.

hoosier
01-06-2020, 02:22 PM
Hope the bbq sauce does not make him fat.

Now why would you think that?

https://delysia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Delysia-Chocolatier-partnership-The-Salt-Lick-BBQ-400x400.jpg

Fritz
01-06-2020, 03:16 PM
This is gonna be interesting.

Super talented roster.

Jerrah.

Locker room issues?

A real litmus test for M3.

I always thought his strength as a coach was his leadership skills. We will see if that pans out.

It will be interesting. My first and amateur impression is that it may not be the best fit. We know MM's aversion to committing to the run, yet his best talent on offense is at running back. He's got a slightly-above average QB.

Wonder who he'll hire as DC. I feel like it's Mike cut loose to do what he wants. Will be interesting.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 03:27 PM
It will be interesting. My first and amateur impression is that it may not be the best fit. We know MM's aversion to committing to the run, yet his best talent on offense is at running back. He's got a slightly-above average QB.

Wonder who he'll hire as DC. I feel like it's Mike cut loose to do what he wants. Will be interesting.

He was pretty good about feeding Lacy. With a good O line and back likely to get him results, I think that part will fit. Pass offense will be more interesting.

Zool
01-06-2020, 03:31 PM
He was always right around league average in attempts per game. Remember AA had free reign to change the call at the line.

Mayhem
01-06-2020, 04:04 PM
Looks like it going to Mike Nolan as DC.

hoosier
01-06-2020, 04:09 PM
He was pretty good about feeding Lacy. With a good O line and back likely to get him results, I think that part will fit. Pass offense will be more interesting.

What's with all the food references in this thread.....?

Joemailman
01-06-2020, 04:29 PM

I don't know. I just know after getting fired last year, McCarthy will be hungry to prove his doubters wrong. Being unceremoniously dumped like that had to be hard to stomach.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 04:40 PM

Wait until you see his first cram session.

Its a lot to digest, but McCarthy has prepared for this his whole life.

He is going to dine out on this hiring for months. Puts a feather in his cap and calls it macaroni.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 04:40 PM
I feel an Andrew Brandt column about McCarthy/Favre/Rodgers is forthcoming. Any minute now.

MadScientist
01-06-2020, 05:06 PM
This should keep MM busy enough that he won't get into trouble harassing high school refs.

Also this ends any speculation of MM poaching Packers front office personnel.

texaspackerbacker
01-06-2020, 05:23 PM
Yeah, it'll be interesting all right. As I have said, as a fan - second to the Packers - of the Cowboys, I would have preferred they not hire McCarthy. I have to think Jerry Jones, rightly or wrongly, figures he will still be the boss, and McCarthy, while a good football mind and teacher, will be fairly compliant when it comes right down to it.

Is McCarthy averse to running the ball a lot? Who knows. He didn't have a decent O Line in Green Bay; He probably will have in Dallas. He had a GOAT QB in Green Bay; He will have a very good QB, but not quite as good in Dallas - assuming they re-sign Dak.

I never hated McCarthy or wanted him fired. I just thought he was kinda mediocre, and the success the Packers had under him was a. not his doing and b. not maximized - which maybe he does get the blame for a little bit, although Ted Thompson is the main culprit in the Packers not winning more championships under McCarthy.

So unlike ya'all Cowboy haters, I will be cheering for them/him - as long as they aren't playing the Packers.

Joemailman
01-06-2020, 06:11 PM
Looks like it going to Mike Nolan as DC.

Welcome Mayhem.

Mike does value familiarity with his coaches.

scharpcheddar
01-06-2020, 06:15 PM

He won a SB already. He proved it

pbmax
01-06-2020, 06:41 PM
Wow. So Haslett doesn't get the call?

I was certain the McCarthy project was going to get all three (Cignetti, Haslett and McCurley) new Cowboys jobs/swag.

pbmax
01-06-2020, 06:45 PM
Have Cowboys fans realized what Nolan and McCarthy accomplished the last time they were together? :lol:

George Cumby
01-06-2020, 06:47 PM
I don't know. I just know after getting fired last year, McCarthy will be hungry to prove his doubters wrong. Being unceremoniously dumped like that had to be hard to stomach.

Yes, I imagine he has a real fire in his belly after being dumped. But then again, the Packers brass had a gutfull of M3's stomach churning playoff losses.

I find it surprising he was handed that job on a sliver platter.

RashanGary
01-06-2020, 07:02 PM
I feel an Andrew Brandt column about McCarthy/Favre/Rodgers is forthcoming. Any minute now.

:Lol:

MadtownPacker
01-06-2020, 08:03 PM
Congrats to M3. He will do well there IMO.

hoosier
01-06-2020, 08:24 PM
He'll have them eating out of his had.

Bretsky
01-06-2020, 08:41 PM
Congrats to MM

Guiness
01-06-2020, 09:04 PM
Not where I thought he'd land. A month ago I would've put my money on Cleveland but I think Dorsey's departure killed that.

I think he'll do well in Dallas. Hard to bring myself to wish him luck there though...

KYPack
01-06-2020, 10:06 PM
Wow. So Haslett doesn't get the call?

I was certain the McCarthy project was going to get all three (Cignetti, Haslett and McCurley) new Cowboys jobs/swag.

Yeah, me too.

Haslett might get tabbed to coach LB's.

Beats no job, ya know?

MadtownPacker
01-06-2020, 10:16 PM
Maybe on Tuesdays he can taco bout the menu for success.

call_me_ishmael
01-06-2020, 11:21 PM
Spinning back to Cleveland, Mike McCarthy was hired in Green Bay when the Browns coach was Romeo Crennel, seven head coaches ago! Browns owner Jimmy Haslam had a coach, Rob Chudzinski in 2013, who lasted one year. Haslam goes through coaching and front office personnel the way Pete Carroll goes through Chiclets. And, of course, how have the Browns stabilized their front office? By hiring a triumvirate that worked together in Green Bay: John Dorsey, Alonzo Highsmith and Eliot Wolf. And that group will certainly give strong consideration as their next head coach to, yes, Mike McCarthy.

A Browns Joke and a Pete Carroll joke all in one. Fantastic!!

Gotarace
01-07-2020, 01:11 AM
He won a SB already. He proved it
Did you Predict it that Season?

Zool
01-07-2020, 02:18 AM
Yes, I imagine he has a real fire in his belly after being dumped. But then again, the Packers brass had a gutfull of M3's stomach churning playoff losses.

I find it surprising he was handed that job on a sliver platter.

Maybe Feast Mode Lacy is still around?

pbmax
01-07-2020, 09:05 AM
Bad original post. I thought he was targeting Ted's front office. He is actually commenting on the complacency of the players that Murphy talked about.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/07/having-an-owner-in-the-building-may-be-good-for-mike-mccarthy/

But he does manage to get a mis-read of the front office in there.

It’s a corporate structure, with no one person having the power at any given moment to fire, hire, whatever if there’s something happening that the owner doesn’t like.

The lack of immediate, bright-line accountability can, over time, make people more comfortable than they should be, especially when competing with 31 franchises who are coached by men who live and work under the cloud of someone who can, at any given time, catch a wild hair and decide to make changes.

He does still get a mis-read into the piece. Murphy has the power to act in this way. He does report to the board, but the board gives pretty wide latitude to the CEO.

Packers are not more patient than the Steelers or Giants.

run pMc
01-07-2020, 09:23 AM
Of all the available HC gigs, DAL is among the best in terms of talent, and while Jerrah can be a lot to handle he has toned down his antics considerably and is more stable than Snyder or Haslem. Plus the NFCE isn't exactly a juggernaut. He has a good chance to succeed there.

I thought his research buddies (Haslett et al.) would get gigs with him too; maybe they still will.

pbmax
01-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Of all the available HC gigs, DAL is among the best in terms of talent, and while Jerrah can be a lot to handle he has toned down his antics considerably and is more stable than Snyder or Haslem. Plus the NFCE isn't exactly a juggernaut. He has a good chance to succeed there.

I thought his research buddies (Haslett et al.) would get gigs with him too; maybe they still will.

Its wasn't a bad year to be job searching. You can make a case for the talent at each stop.

I thought the Giants were wrong not to chase him, as he would be a great fit for Jones to develop. Though Gettleman probably doesn't want to devote those kinds of resources to the passing game.

Another case where a little compromise would get you a long way to success.

Cleft Crusty
01-07-2020, 09:38 AM
Bad original post. I thought he was targeting Ted's front office. He is actually commenting on the complacency of the players that Murphy talked about.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/07/having-an-owner-in-the-building-may-be-good-for-mike-mccarthy/

But he does manage to get a mis-read of the front office in there.

He does still get a mis-read into the piece. Murphy has the power to act in this way. He does report to the board, but the board gives pretty wide latitude to the CEO.

Packers are not more patient than the Steelers or Giants.

Bad second post too.

From the article:

After the Packers fired McCarthy, CEO Mark Murphy admitted that, indeed, “a complacency had set in among some players and coaches.”

It is Mark Murphy himself who argues that a complacency had set it, which is a very odd thing for a person to say, particularly if that person is the equivalent of an owner who can get a 'wild hair' and start firing people because they've become complacent. So perhaps Murphy was the one who was complacent, and maybe he does look over his shoulder at the board of directors who do have the power to get rid of him. Murphy is at the top of the silos, but he has nowhere near the autonomy of an owner. Would be fascinating to have insider information to compare the dynamic and relative autonomies between Board-Harlan-Wolf in 1999 to Board-Murphy-Silos in 2018.

pbmax
01-07-2020, 10:10 AM
Bad second post too.

From the article:

It is Mark Murphy himself who argues that a complacency had set it, which is a very odd thing for a person to say, particularly if that person is the equivalent of an owner who can get a 'wild hair' and start firing people because they've become complacent. So perhaps Murphy was the one who was complacent, and maybe he does look over his shoulder at the board of directors who do have the power to get rid of him. Murphy is at the top of the silos, but he has nowhere near the autonomy of an owner. Would be fascinating to have insider information to compare the dynamic and relative autonomies between Board-Harlan-Wolf in 1999 to Board-Murphy-Silos in 2018.

My edited post said exactly that, Florio was echoing Murphy and Rodgers. And though he doesn't name them, Matthews, Martinez and Randall as well. He was not engaging in Thompson GM bashing, which is what I thought it was going to be. But complacency is not the right read to me.

Jones wants to run everything. He wants to be owner, GM and part-time coach. He orders changes to staff and their roles. I see the wild hair thing as largely separate from complacency. A micro manager doesn't drive complacency from a workplace, he just changes incentives.

Murphy, for personal reasons as much as structure, isn't going to do that. He got pushback for rearranging how silos report.

But in the hiring of a GM or coach, I think he has clear authority to act if he sees fit. I think the prompt in this case was the team record, not complacency.

Complacency became a talking point about McCarthy's dismissal because the players who had to start were not performing to expectations. That was lack of talent, not complacency.

Cleft Crusty
01-07-2020, 10:37 AM
But complacency is not the right read to me.
But in the hiring of a GM or coach, I think he has clear authority to act if he sees fit. I think the prompt in this case was the team record, not complacency.

Complacency became a talking point about McCarthy's dismissal because the players who had to start were not performing to expectations. That was lack of talent, not complacency.

OK. The complacency charge was a total dodge. The organization was tired of McCarthy for whatever reason. (My top reason is that there was dysfunction and they had to choose between Rodgers and McCarthy and you don't send away your franchise QB). So they paid Rodgers and set McCarthy up to fail. 2018 saw them rearrange the roster and $$ to be able to make moves for 2019. If there actually was complacency, it was their own, and it was largely deliberate. There may also be a bit of coverup for terribly failed moves both in drafting and FA (especially at the TE position) which could be better and more generally described as 'complacency' or delay in moving Thompson out. Murphy is the one guilty of "complacency." It's possible he didn't have the complete freedom and lack of patience attributed to the Giants/teams with knee jerk owners because then he could have and maybe would have dumped everyone a year or two earlier.

Alternatively, he is a stable genius, and a decent man who knew exactly what was going on, and instead of impulsively torpedoing Thompson and McCarthy, he gently moved Thompson out, maneuvered McCarthy out, assuming more control after (perhaps) being made aware/becoming aware of Thompson's failing health/performance and McCarthy's loss of authority over the team. I acknowledge that information coming out of GB doesn't reveal how much total autonomy he has. Who knows what people - the board - are really saying to him, or whether some of these crazy stories about McCarthy are true, for example. I also get the desire to deflect blame, especially if he does have a lot of autonomy, because otherwise the Board can remove him, if they see him acting too slowly to fix things.

MadtownPacker
01-07-2020, 10:50 AM
I thought Cleft Crusty was supposed to provide witty lighthearted commentary.

pbmax
01-07-2020, 11:51 AM
OK. The complacency charge was a total dodge. The organization was tired of McCarthy for whatever reason. (My top reason is that there was dysfunction and they had to choose between Rodgers and McCarthy and you don't send away your franchise QB). So they paid Rodgers and set McCarthy up to fail. 2018 saw them rearrange the roster and $$ to be able to make moves for 2019. If there actually was complacency, it was their own, and it was largely deliberate. There may also be a bit of coverup for terribly failed moves both in drafting and FA (especially at the TE position) which could be better and more generally described as 'complacency' or delay in moving Thompson out. Murphy is the one guilty of "complacency." It's possible he didn't have the complete freedom and lack of patience attributed to the Giants/teams with knee jerk owners because then he could have and maybe would have dumped everyone a year or two earlier.

Alternatively, he is a stable genius, and a decent man who knew exactly what was going on, and instead of impulsively torpedoing Thompson and McCarthy, he gently moved Thompson out, maneuvered McCarthy out, assuming more control after (perhaps) being made aware/becoming aware of Thompson's failing health/performance and McCarthy's loss of authority over the team. I acknowledge that information coming out of GB doesn't reveal how much total autonomy he has. Who knows what people - the board - are really saying to him, or whether some of these crazy stories about McCarthy are true, for example. I also get the desire to deflect blame, especially if he does have a lot of autonomy, because otherwise the Board can remove him, if they see him acting too slowly to fix things.

I think it comes down to 3 years to evaluate a draft. He had two terrible drafts early in the decade. He signed Peppers to resolve one problem. Recovered a bit, then hit another two year drought. Signed Evans to help, but never solved that second wave of whiffs. Had continuing holes at safety, TE and WR corp (Adams aside). Once it was clear the second drought had gutted the roster, then even a healthy and functional Thompson (or Gute or Ball acting on his behalf if he was slowing) couldn't pull them out of it easily. They were going to bottom out like mid 2000s Packers.

Needed a new approach after they lost their draft touch and that meant signing some big ticket guys.

I always thought Ted against FA was oversold. He would have signed more had he continued (assuming he could-we really don't know his condition). But I think your comment is correct, by this time there was resistance in the building to doing it Ted's way and waiting for Ted to sign off on FAs was going to hurt them internally and cause strife.

Better to hire new and give them charge to use all avenues.

And they did pick Rodgers (contract) over fixing Ted and Mike first. And that got Mike one more year, but the writing was on the wall.

Cleft Crusty
01-07-2020, 12:09 PM
I thought Cleft Crusty was supposed to provide witty lighthearted commentary.

Since when? My mandate is to provide the best analysis a semi-retired reporter making $0.65/hour can. And I’ll scuttle witless know-nothings wherever and whenever I can. You should read through some of the game day Q&As. No quarter given.

esoxx
01-07-2020, 03:09 PM
Since when? My mandate is to provide the best analysis a semi-retired reporter making $0.65/hour can. And I’ll scuttle witless know-nothings wherever and whenever I can. You should read through some of the game day Q&As. No quarter given.

Yup, Cleft has always been crusty in his demeanor.

I imagine it matches his underwear. Can make a guy irritable I suppose.

texaspackerbacker
01-07-2020, 06:14 PM
APB inferred that this guy is Rand's alternative screen name. Could we get a denial or confirmation of that? hahahaha

MadtownPacker
01-07-2020, 08:24 PM
APB inferred that this guy is Rand's alternative screen name. Could we get a denial or confirmation of that? hahahahaYes and that’s why I’m telling him to use his regular account. The Crusty one is allowed. In fact in spite of all the shit Aynrand talks about the forum or me he is the ONLY poster that has ever been allowed to have a pseudo account. Special treatment? Probably but he has used it in a fun way. Now he is trying to hide behind it like the pussy he is.

RashanGary
01-07-2020, 08:30 PM
Yes and that’s why I’m telling him to use his regular account. The Crusty one is allowed. In fact in spite of all the shit Aynrand talks about the forum or me he is the ONLY poster that has ever been allowed to have a pseudo account. Special treatment? Probably but he has used it in a fun way. Now he is trying to hide behind it like the pussy he is.

:lol:

George Cumby
01-07-2020, 08:39 PM
APB inferred that this guy is Rand's alternative screen name. Could we get a denial or confirmation of that? hahahaha

You are so dense.

pbmax
01-07-2020, 09:22 PM
You are so dense.

I’d agree with you if I hadn’t had three posters ask if its me. :lol:

Cleft Crusty
01-07-2020, 09:39 PM
Yup, Cleft has always been crusty in his demeanor.

I imagine it matches his underwear. Can make a guy irritable I suppose.

Metamucil is a double-edge sword.

Cleft Crusty
01-07-2020, 09:50 PM

Clefty does not like to be associated with that idiot MrAynRand. He's the fool who constantly posts in FYI, for no apparent reason and to no good end. Clefty sticks to football and the occasional exposition of various uncomfortable physical ailments.

scharpcheddar
01-07-2020, 10:53 PM
I think they'll do better and not worse than 8-8 regularly. But not next level/ next step good. And the QB will change soon enough

George Cumby
01-07-2020, 11:59 PM
I’d agree with you if I hadn’t had three posters ask if its me. :lol:

Lol

QBME
01-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Yes and that’s why I’m telling him to use his regular account. The Crusty one is allowed. In fact in spite of all the shit Aynrand talks about the forum or me he is the ONLY poster that has ever been allowed to have a pseudo account. Special treatment? Probably but he has used it in a fun way. Now he is trying to hide behind it like the pussy he is.

��

Cheesehead Craig
01-09-2020, 08:23 AM
I think they'll do better and not worse than 8-8 regularly. But not next level/ next step good. And the QB will change soon enough

So they are not predetermined to win it all next year then?

pbmax
01-09-2020, 08:28 AM
MrMiktastic @themeatrix
Mike McCarthy on the Dallas Cowboys: “The most iconic sports franchise in the world.”

Gonna have to go to video on this one.

George Cumby
01-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Ah. He’s got his priorities right. Gobbling Jerrahs load. He’s good for ten years, no matter his record, at this rate.

gbgary
01-09-2020, 12:08 PM
Ah. He’s got his priorities right. Gobbling Jerrahs load. He’s good for ten years, no matter his record, at this rate.

lol

gbgary
01-09-2020, 12:09 PM
MrMiktastic @themeatrix
Mike McCarthy on the Dallas Cowboys: “The most iconic sports franchise in the world.”

yup. massive fabrication.

run pMc
01-09-2020, 02:00 PM
MrMiktastic @themeatrix

Did he say the same thing when hired by GB?

Cheesehead Craig
01-09-2020, 02:03 PM
MrMiktastic @themeatrix

I gotta go Yankees on this one.

Joemailman
01-09-2020, 05:49 PM
MrMiktastic @themeatrix

He meant to say “The most iconic sports franchise in the world that hasn't won shit the last 25 years".

HowardRoark
01-09-2020, 06:07 PM
What size was that suit jacket, 82 long? He can sell it on Craigslist in the tent section after the presser.

Fritz
01-10-2020, 05:19 AM
It would've been funny if some team like Carolina had hired him and he'd said that.

Now we know what MM said to all the girls he dated in high school.

pbmax
01-10-2020, 08:03 AM
It would've been funny if some team like Carolina had hired him and he'd said that.

Marty Schottenheimer got roasted for that when he said his former team owner in Buffalo maybe, told him the two best men he could possibly work for were Art Modell (Cleveland) and Lamar Hunt (KC). Each time it was at his introductory press conference.

Fritz
01-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Fritz, at his introductory news conference:

"I am so grateful to be hired by the Jacksonville Jaguars, probably the most iconic franchise in all of NFL history. I was once told by Martha Ford that the best owner a coach could ever work for was either Daniel Snyder or Fifth-Third Bank, Inc, which owns the Jaguars. I used to dream of coaching the Jags. Hell, I'll be honest here - I had fantasies. I'd be dreaming at night, with erotic images of Drew Barrymore, dressed only in a Jacksonville Jaguars crop top, beckoning me over to her bed, which had Jacksonville Jaguar silk sheets on it. I would wake up, and I don't know if my underwear was wet because of Drew or the Jags."

Clears throat in uncomfortable silence.

"Anyway, we're going to play smart, tough football. That's what I believe in. Practice in pads, every day. Hit, full contact, every practice. Because you've got to be tough in the NFL, and we're not gonna be puzzies here in Jacksonville. Even if our mascot is feline. Thank you."

George Cumby
01-10-2020, 11:46 AM
^Gold

pbmax
01-10-2020, 12:06 PM
You forgot aggressive Fritz. Rookie mistake.

Zool
01-10-2020, 03:12 PM
What size was that suit jacket, 82 long? He can sell it on Craigslist in the tent section after the presser.

It didn't come in a 52 fat, so he had to compromise?

mraynrand
01-10-2020, 08:05 PM

“Hey baybee, you want to see the inside of a toll booth?”

Zool
01-10-2020, 08:40 PM
“Hey baybee, you want to see the inside of a toll booth?”

Wrong login

mraynrand
01-10-2020, 10:59 PM
Wrong login

"You have zero idea how I live my life."

George Cumby
01-11-2020, 12:02 AM
"You have zero idea how I live my life."

Therefore the score of the game will include a “zero”.

pbmax
01-11-2020, 09:07 AM
Well, it seems like the old coach may not have changed much of his thinking.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-mike-mccarthy-speaks-on-2020-plan-for-analytics-play-calling-and-more-were-looking-at-everything/

1. Analytics

"I think you have to be smart about the analytics," he said. "It's very important, but the reality of it is how it's applied to your everyday operation, because we don't play football in an air conditioned room -- well, AT&T Stadium, I'm going to have to change my words there -- but there's also the human element that you have to involve in your decision-making. So, I think analytics gives you the ability to sharpen your edge in preparation, and be a little quicker in your decision-making during a game; but there is an instinct and awareness component that you definitely have to tap into on when you push the envelope and when you pull back."

Trusting your gut in the moment is what put the team in a lot of bad situations

pbmax
01-11-2020, 09:09 AM
2. Play calling

"We're looking at everything," he said. "Every decision that will be made will be in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys."

Translation: He will be calling the plays. They kept Kellen Moore but he doesn't know McCarthy's offense. Off the top of my head, Moore is an Air Raid guy, right? And Garrett was a Parcells/Payton disciple, which is the Erhardt offense.

mraynrand
01-11-2020, 09:11 AM
Trusting your gut in the moment is what put the team in a lot of bad situations

"computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them"
-Spock

pbmax
01-11-2020, 09:12 AM
3. Run/pass balance

"I'm a believer that how much you run the football and how much you pass it really is an expression of your whole football team," McCarthy said. "At the end of the day, from a coach's perspective, we're going to do what we feel we need to do to win. And that's putting our players in the best position to be successful. Aaron Rodgers is a great player, so you give great players as many opportunities as you can.

"I never really was concerned about what the numbers look like, because you have to run the football in this league to be successful. If you run it 40 percent or if you run 50 percent, at the end of the day, the quality of it is what's most important. With Dak Prescott, obviously, this offensive system will be built to make the quarterback successful [and utilizing Elliott helps that]. That's how the West Coast offense was designed and that's something that has been carried over into every offense that I've ever been a part of."

Never concerned with numbers unless he was prattling on about attempts being important, or no, YPC being important, or hey, winning teams run the ball 20 times in the second half.

Honestly, if he was being completely honest, not caring about run/pass balance would probably be good. But combined with #4, its going to be a problem.

pbmax
01-11-2020, 09:13 AM
"computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them"
-Spock

I'd fire Spock if he suggested the 4 minutes offense in the middle of the 3rd Quarter.

pbmax
01-11-2020, 09:18 AM
4. Scheme, in the case of this question, Nike Nolan's 3-4 versus long time 4-3 personnel team

"I think scheme is overrated," he said, matter-of-factly. "I'm more interested in making sure we're fitting everything to our players. I think the personnel operation and how you're able to be involved in that process is a great opportunity for me and my coaching staff. I'm really looking forward to talking about the profiles about what a Dallas Cowboys player looks like, and adding to this excellent roster we already have."

This, again, could be good, because running a scheme that doesn't fit the talents of your players is just poor planning. But unless you are Belichick, coaches have schemes and McCarthy will begin installing his in March/April. Which means his run and pass game still might not complement each other.

The other side of this coin is that the Cowboys offense is so ridiculously loaded, you might be able to score 30 with a Wing T offense.

mraynrand
01-11-2020, 09:24 AM
I'd fire Spock if he suggested the 4 minutes offense in the middle of the 3rd Quarter.

Does your algorithm say it's never a good time to do that, or that it might actually work, but only under very specific circumstances? I'd like to impress your engrams on a computer - I'd predict a disciplined structure and logical operating system, ultimately so complex that the convolutions would eventually lead it, tortuously back into a difficult self-contradiction. :) ;)

"Pull the plug, Spock"
-James Tiberius Kirk

pbmax
01-11-2020, 09:25 AM
5. Personnel

First read is that you might think McCarthy is jockeying for personnel control (see second half of quote from #4).

But this is exactly the method of communicating that Capers talked about when hired to run a 3-4 in 2009. So its very much of a piece of how he has operated in Green Bay. And its very much the idea that you need a type to run his schemes, even as he tells you scheme is overrated.

It did not mesh well with Ted, especially on the D side of the ball. The more active Cowboys and their GM, might make this work better for Mike.

I wish him luck, I genuinely like him and think he is a good coach with a good mind. But he isn't changing.

I hope Dak can run this offense.

mraynrand
01-11-2020, 09:29 AM
4. Scheme, in the case of this question, Nike Nolan's 3-4 versus long time 4-3 personnel team
This, again, could be good, because running a scheme that doesn't fit the talents of your players is just poor planning.

I confess that I'd be more than pleased to see Demarcus Lawrence or Robert Quinn playing a lot of coverage.

pbmax
01-11-2020, 09:32 AM
Does your algorithm say it's never a good time to do that, or that it might actually work, but only under very specific circumstances? I'd like to impress your engrams on a computer - I'd predict a disciplined structure and logical operating system, ultimately so complex that the convolutions would eventually lead it, tortuously back into a difficult self-contradiction. :) ;)

"Pull the plug, Spock"
-James Tiberius Kirk

You would need more than a 16 point lead on the road.

And we both know pulling the plug never worked (usually killed a red shirt bystander). So either point out the self contradiction or someone had to confuse the computer with the Calvin Johnson catch rule.

"M-5, scan the replay footage, did Greg Jennings complete the act of the catch when he dropped the ball after going OOB?"

M-5 shuts down.

Beam M-5 away from ship.

Fritz
01-11-2020, 09:33 AM
Wow. Sounds like Mikey said all the right things to get the job - analytics, re-evaluating his approach, etc, etc. But once he got that gig, he's the same ol' MM.

Me, as the new Jacksonville head coach, after talking about how hard I'm going to work those players, I will follow up with how I won't make a single decision without consulting my analytics team. I'm going to sound simultaneously old-school and gruff as well as sleek and shiny and all about whatever the new buzz words are - in this case, analytics and sort of leveraging the personnel.

pbmax
01-11-2020, 09:34 AM
I confess that I'd be more than pleased to see Demarcus Lawrence or Robert Quinn playing a lot of coverage.

Its is an area that could be really interesting. Will Jerry let Mike take the team somewhere they don't want to go?

That GM of theirs, whatever his title, has been doing a bang up job in the draft with Jones Jr.

In this case, Jerrah might, because they had to go get two guys to help bolster their pass rush mid-season.

pbmax
01-11-2020, 09:35 AM
Wow. Sounds like Mikey said all the right things to get the job - analytics, re-evaluating his approach, etc, etc. But once he got that gig, he's the same ol' MM.

Me, as the new Jacksonville head coach, after talking about how hard I'm going to work those players, I will follow up with how I won't make a single decision without consulting my analytics team. I'm going to sound simultaneously old-school and gruff as well as sleek and shiny and all about whatever the new buzz words are - in this case, analytics and sort of leveraging the personnel.

And you will, at all times, be AGGRESSIVE on defense right? You don't even have a defense called prevent, right?

mraynrand
01-11-2020, 09:36 AM
You would need more than a 16 point lead on the road.

And we both know pulling the plug never worked (usually killed a red shirt bystander). So either point out the self contradiction or someone had to confuse the computer with the Calvin Johnson catch rule.

"M-5, scan the replay footage, did Greg Jennings complete the act of the catch when he dropped the ball after going OOB?"

M-5 shuts down.

Beam M-5 away from ship.

that's pretty good copy. I'd put odds on Stubby going full Daystrom at about 10%...

Fritz
01-11-2020, 09:37 AM
And you will, at all times, be AGGRESSIVE on defense right? You don't even have a defense called prevent, right?

Of course. Aggressive, always . . . followed by "but you've got to be smart about it."

Zool
01-11-2020, 10:18 AM
Therefore the score of the game will include a “zero”.

And the light bulb goes on. Welcome to the real world Neo.

52 fat to zero. Packers win.

George Cumby
01-11-2020, 10:19 AM

Whoa.

ThunderDan
01-11-2020, 12:31 PM
I am actually worried about MM taking over the Cowboys. He was a very coach who got stale. He might be the fresh breath of air they need in Dallas.

Fritz
01-11-2020, 01:05 PM
I am actually worried about MM taking over the Cowboys. He was a very coach who got stale. He might be the fresh breath of air they need in Dallas.

You can't just pop a tic tac in there and expect the city of Dallas to tongue you. You gotta brush your teeth and use some mouthwash, and I don't think MM has done that.

pbmax
01-11-2020, 01:25 PM
Whoa.

Underrated reply +1

pbmax
01-11-2020, 01:31 PM
Of course. Aggressive, always . . . followed by "but you've got to be smart about it."

But while we will be smart, we shall also be aggressively smart. Not dilly dally, on the other hand smart.

Which is not to say arrogantly smart; but smart in the good, strong, aggressive way.

pbmax
01-11-2020, 01:31 PM
You can't just pop a tic tac in there and expect the city of Dallas to tongue you. You gotta brush your teeth and use some mouthwash, and I don't think MM has done that.

Minty mouthwash, if you catch my drift.

pbmax
01-11-2020, 01:33 PM

Cumby took the red pill.

mraynrand
01-11-2020, 01:35 PM
Cumby took the red pill.

Bogus!

Zool
01-11-2020, 02:26 PM
Wait until he learns Kung fu.

George Cumby
01-11-2020, 04:52 PM
Cumby took the red pill.

Wishing I’d taken the blue.........

Smidgeon
01-16-2020, 08:13 PM
Breaking: M3 will not be calling plays in Dallas. Interesting.

pbmax
01-16-2020, 08:22 PM

It took getting fired to listen to someone.

Good for him.

mraynrand
01-16-2020, 09:29 PM

He hasn’t called any since mid 2015, so he’s used to it.

Joemailman
01-16-2020, 09:49 PM
It took getting fired to listen to someone.

Good for him.

Well, when the owner makes a suggestion...

pbmax
01-16-2020, 10:25 PM
He hasn’t called any since mid 2015, so he’s used to it.

Boom roasted :D

pbmax
01-16-2020, 10:54 PM
Michael Gehlken
Mike McCarthy confirmed a number of previously reported hires to coaching staff. One addition to list: ex-Packers CB Al Harris to be an assistant in secondary. McCarthy also plans to interview Leon Lett for possible return. Still identifying new strength coach.

pbmax
01-16-2020, 10:56 PM
Same guy
Mike McCarthy: “My plan is for (Kellen Moore) to be the play caller” in 2020. Also plans to keep the offense’s terminology the same. McCarthy to learn team’s language. Not the other way around.

texaspackerbacker
01-16-2020, 11:28 PM
Like I said, McCarthy got hired to be Jerry's new yes man.

hoosier
01-17-2020, 07:41 AM
McCarthy also plans to interview Leon Lett for possible return. Still identifying new strength coach.

I nominate Don Beebe for the motivational coach position.

mraynrand
01-17-2020, 08:08 AM
Leon Lett? Seriously? Has an NFL team ever actually officially hired a contrarian? “whatever he says, do the opposite?”

Wasn’t it Jimmy Johnson whose mantra was “If I ever think of drafting another stupid player, hit me upside the head?”

pbmax
01-17-2020, 08:08 AM
I nominate Don Beebe for the motivational coach position.

It should just happen so we can read about it after a year of grief for Lett :lol:

pbmax
01-17-2020, 08:10 AM
Like I said, McCarthy got hired to be Jerry's new yes man.

Perhaps. Elsewhere he said they are keeping the 4 man line but changing the system to Nolan's on D.

We'll know if its McCarthy's offense by the end of the first half they play in the regular season.

mraynrand
01-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Perhaps. Elsewhere he said they are keeping the 4 man line but changing the system to Nolan's on D.

What choose do they have with their personnel.

pbmax
01-17-2020, 09:08 AM
What choose do they have with their personnel.

Wouldn't be the first coaching staff to insist on a system that doesn't fit players. Might still happen.

scharpcheddar
01-17-2020, 02:42 PM
Who's complaining? I'll be a yes man, for that kind of money. No one wouldnt

Fritz
01-18-2020, 06:32 PM
Same guy
Mike McCarthy: “My plan is for (Kellen Moore) to be the play caller” in 2020. Also plans to keep the offense’s terminology the same. McCarthy to learn team’s language. Not the other way around.

The team's language: "Yassuh, Mister Jones." "I'll get right on that, Sir." "How high did you say?"

George Cumby
01-18-2020, 08:03 PM
Who's complaining? I'll be a yes man, for that kind of money. No one wouldnt

Now that's numerology that makes sense.

RashanGary
01-18-2020, 08:52 PM
Now that's numerology that makes sense.

:lol: