PDA

View Full Version : Official 2020 Free Agency Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Joemailman
01-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Packers sign CFL All-Star Reggie Begelton to futures contract.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/06/cfl-all-star-reggie-begelton-signs-futures-deal-with-packers/

The Green Bay Packers signed one of the best players in the CFL to a futures deal.

The team announced the signing of receiver and CFL all-star Reggie Begelton (6-0, 200) to a deal that will ensure he’s on the Packers’ 90-man roster this coming offseason.

Fullback Elijah Wellman (6-1, 241) also signed a futures deal with the Packers.

Begelton, the all-time leading receiver at Lamar University, caught 102 passes for 1,444 yards and 10 touchdowns for the Calgary Stampeders of the CFL in 2019. He finished second in the league in receptions and third in receiving yards and touchdowns.

Begelton was one of 27 CFL all-stars and a unanimous selection as the team’s MVP this past season.

The Stampeders released Begelton from his CFL contract so he could pursue NFL opportunities. He worked out for several teams but decided to sign with the Packers.

Begelton, who turns 27 in August, will join an evolving receiver group that could feature several additions this coming offseason.

Wellman is an undrafted free agent from West Virginia. He spent time with the Washington Redskins during the offseasons in 2018 and 2019.

Reggie Begelton

@LUcrew_Frenchy
First off, all the Glory to God 🙏🏽. Second, Green Bay is that you? Yes! Yes it is. You Cheesehead lovers. I’m happy to be apart of the family moving forward. #GoPackGo #blessed #cheesehead #packers

texaspackerbacker
01-06-2020, 10:48 PM
Begelton is not real fast - 4.53 40. Just the same, he sounds like a worthwhile signing.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-07-2020, 12:14 AM
The cap can always be cooked, but not sure capitalist pig Jerry Jones wants to pony up for Cooper. Jones is already paying big bucks to Zeke, their Yokozunas (O and D linemen alike), Jaylon Smith, etc. And Prescott is also in line for a big payday.

I say German Shepherd should pony up for Cooper if the Cowchicks let him walk the walk of life.

#walkoflife: Cool song by Billie Piper.

pbmax
01-07-2020, 08:58 AM
The cap can always be cooked, but not sure capitalist pig Jerry Jones wants to pony up for Cooper. Jones is already paying big bucks to Zeke, their Yokozunas (O and D linemen alike), Jaylon Smith, etc. And Prescott is also in line for a big payday.

I say German Shepherd should pony up for Cooper if the Cowchicks let him walk the walk of life.

#walkoflife: Cool song by Billie Piper.

Isn't Jaylon Smith on a rookie deal?

run pMc
01-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Isn't Jaylon Smith on a rookie deal?

On August 20, 2019, Smith signed a five-year, $64 million contract extension with the Cowboys with $35.5 million guaranteed, keeping him under contract through the 2024 season. - teh Interwebz

If they let Cooper go they are dumb. He had a few clunker games, but he really opens up that offense and when paired with Gallup gives them a decent WR duo. Cooper isn't a top 5 WR but for how he's played in DAL I'd say he's worth about 5y/$60M (which puts him inside top 15)
https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Cleft Crusty
01-07-2020, 10:13 AM
Cooper was struggling with injuries I do recall, though I confess that the cocktail of Razadyne, etanercept and galantamine sometimes creates it's own memories.

pbmax
01-07-2020, 10:15 AM
On August 20, 2019, Smith signed a five-year, $64 million contract extension with the Cowboys with $35.5 million guaranteed, keeping him under contract through the 2024 season. - teh Interwebz

If they let Cooper go they are dumb. He had a few clunker games, but he really opens up that offense and when paired with Gallup gives them a decent WR duo. Cooper isn't a top 5 WR but for how he's played in DAL I'd say he's worth about 5y/$60M (which puts him inside top 15)
https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Ah. Must have torn up an under valued rookie injury deal.

pbmax
01-26-2020, 09:15 AM
What do you do with a problem like Blake Martinez?

Resume: After leading the NFL in tackles in 2017 and ranking second in 2008, Martinez finished second in the league with a career-high 155 tackles. He did it while playing the second half of the season with a broken hand. He added three sacks, five tackles for losses, one forced fumble and a key interception in the come-from-behind win at Detroit. Over the last four seasons, Martinez’s 512 tackles trails only Bobby Wagner’s 597.

Sign him: In the 2016 draft class, Martinez has 103 more tackles than anyone else. For some reason, it’s chic for Martinez’s critics to scoff at statistics like that one. Someone’s got to make the tackle, right?

Too many tackles are made too far down the field, you say? Pro Football Focus has a stat called run-stop percentage. Essentially, it measures impact tackles. For instance, a first-and-10 tackle that limits the play to 3 yards or less is a “stop.” Among the 60 off-the-ball linebackers to play 50 percent of the run snaps, Martinez ranked fourth with 37 run stops, just behind Luke Kuechly (38) and Bobby Wagner (39). He was 15th in run-stop percentage, tied with Dallas star Jaylon Smith, ahead of touted top-10 draft picks Devin Bush and Devin White, and ahead of former Vikings All-Pro Anthony Barr. In the passing game, of 47 off-the-ball linebackers to play 50 percent of the passing snaps, he ranked 16th in snaps per reception, according to PFF. He missed 16 tackles, a number that seems high but put him 19th in tackling efficiency among the 58 off-the-ball linebackers who played 50 percent of the snaps overall.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/fascinating-free-agency-blake-martinez

He's never off the field, inferring from those percentages. Which means the depth behind him is poor or he is secretly dominating.

Going just by rankings here, he's an average to above average run ILB who is not dominant and will not make a bad D line look good.

He is average in snaps per reception which might be remarkable given how often opponents targeted the middle of the field, but I am not sure it makes him good.

His tackling is below average.

Getting a solid not spectacular starter for four years is what the middle round of the draft is all about (fourth round). If more Packer picks had performed like this on D, you might have something a single signing like Kahlil Mack would put over the top.

But is he worth a second contract and will someone get mesmerized by those tackle numbers?

pbmax
01-26-2020, 09:28 AM
By numbers, his projected contract is insane:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/blake-martinez-19085/market-value/

Market Value
5 yrs, $81,796,481
Avg. Salary: $16,359,296
NFL Rank: 37
ILB Rank: 3

GB-Brandon
01-26-2020, 10:07 AM
By numbers, his projected contract is insane:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/blake-martinez-19085/market-value/

Market Value
5 yrs, $81,796,481
Avg. Salary: $16,359,296
NFL Rank: 37
ILB Rank: 3

I saw that last week and if some team pays him that their INSANE but imagine somebody will get close. See Ya Blake.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2020, 10:53 AM
For that kind of money, yeah, see Ya, but somehow I think he will be available for a helluva lot less, like half that much. And for that, I'd keep him.

GB-Brandon
01-26-2020, 12:18 PM
For that kind of money, yeah, see Ya, but somehow I think he will be available for a helluva lot less, like half that much. And for that, I'd keep him.

I could see a team like Carolina getting to 12ish with him with Keuchly retiring and what they do on defense with talk of switching to a 4-3.

This is where if Littleton is at the same contract level as Martinez as I’ve posted(4 year 50 mill) I would prefer Littleton. If we can re-sign Martinez at around 6-8mill per I take Martinez.

pbmax
01-26-2020, 12:51 PM
Brian Bulaga

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/fascinating-free-agency-bryan-bulaga

Sign him: This was one of his best seasons – and critically so, since his season started with Chicago’s Khalil Mack, Minnesota’s Danielle Hunter and Denver’s Von Miller and never got much easier. As we noted starting before the season, the days are gone when the defense’s best pass rusher lines up almost exclusively against the left tackle. In today’s NFL, a right tackle arguably is just as important as the left tackle. Bulaga was up to the task most weeks. This season, 57 offensive tackles played at least half of the snaps. Of that group, Bulaga ranked 17th in ProFootballFocus.com’s pass-blocking efficiency, which measures sacks, hits and hurries per pass-rushing snap.

~snip~

Let him go: Injured players tend to get injured. It’s a football adage that’s accurate more times than not. Bulaga has battled back from some big injuries – a hip in 2012 and ACLs in 2013 and 2017 – to provide years’ worth of quality play. Bulaga will turn 31 just after the start of free agency. With age and injury history, can he be counted on to play through most of what’s likely to be a lucrative contract? Speaking of contracts, his last deal was worth $6.75 million per season. That ranked 11th among right tackles last season – a bargain given his performance. Last offseason, the Packers signed Turner a four-year deal averaging $7.0 million per season. It’s hard to imagine Bulaga taking less than those deals. Is that too much?

pbmax
01-26-2020, 12:52 PM
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/bryan-bulaga-6532/market-value/

Market Value
3 yrs, $30,446,121
Avg. Salary: $10,148,707
NFL Rank: 144
RT Rank: 4

GB-Brandon
01-26-2020, 01:12 PM
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/bryan-bulaga-6532/market-value/

Market Value
3 yrs, $30,446,121
Avg. Salary: $10,148,707
NFL Rank: 144
RT Rank: 4

Hurry up and sign him. Don’t have near the resources to replace him. He wants to finish out his career in GB so 3 years 26 isn’t out of the question.

Bretsky
01-26-2020, 10:06 PM
I could see a team like Carolina getting to 12ish with him with Keuchly retiring and what they do on defense with talk of switching to a 4-3.

This is where if Littleton is at the same contract level as Martinez as I’ve posted(4 year 50 mill) I would prefer Littleton. If we can re-sign Martinez at around 6-8mill per I take Martinez.

Completely agree; I'd love to see six but up to 8.5 would be ok. Pass on anything over. See draft thread last year; we should have moved a couple spots for Devin Bush :))

Bretsky
01-26-2020, 10:08 PM
Hurry up and sign him. Don’t have near the resources to replace him. He wants to finish out his career in GB so 3 years 26 isn’t out of the question.

He gave a great interview after we lost that almost sounded like a thanks for the memories speech. To me it was clear his agent thinks he's getting a lot more than what GB wants to pay

Deputy Nutz
01-27-2020, 09:37 AM
Martinez has totally out preformed his draft slot and I think he is everything you want in a middle linebacker, except for elite athleticism and above average instincts. I think he would flourish in a 4-3 system that doesn't rely on a Tampa 2 scheme.

He isn't worth 8 million a year, and it sounds unlikely but if Green Bay did bring him back they still need to draft another linebacker that can play run downs and passing downs. This would drastically improve the middle of their defense.

run pMc
01-27-2020, 11:25 AM
Bulaga for 8-10M a season for 3 years is a decent contract IMO. They overpaid for Turner and Bulaga won't make less than him.

Martinez is decent, but there's no way if I'm Gute I pay him 10M a year. The problem is GB doesn't have much behind him, so Blake has leverage and will likely have suitors. I wonder if this is an area Gute really goes after in revamping. Cory Littleton is a good player and can cover - he'd be an upgrade but could be pricey. Is Schobert a FA too? Have to think there will be some LBs getting paid.

pbmax
01-27-2020, 01:07 PM
For those contract numbers to hit, I just can't see Ponch commanding that kind of salary UNLESS there are more suitors than candidates.

Even that seems more likely to help Bulaga though.

run pMc
01-28-2020, 12:29 PM
Bulaga will probably be the #2 OT out there behind Conklin. If GB doesn't sign him, someone definitely will.

Bretsky
01-28-2020, 01:14 PM
When BB plays and is healthy he played like a 10-12 Million Dollar a year OT

With his injury history my guess is he end up getting 8-9ish.

run pMc
01-28-2020, 02:39 PM
When BB plays and is healthy he played like a 10-12 Million Dollar a year OT

With his injury history my guess is he end up getting 8-9ish.

I agree the injury history will affect what he's offered.
8-9M a year for 2-3 years is a good price IMO, especially if it's structured to be cap-friendly. I know people bitched about his last contract, but I think he's earned it over the last 2 seasons (he's been healthier).

I like him but if he's looking for 5y/$60M I let him walk. It'd be letting him go a year early but by Year 3 that contract will look awful. His body will start to break down.
Having something with an out in Year 3 that minimizes cap hit/dead money is the way to go.

Deputy Nutz
01-29-2020, 07:25 AM
Bulaga is a warrior, but I honestly think he is going to retire. You listen to guys like Joe Thomas talk about his last couple of years in the league and how they need to reinvent their bodies after they retire so they can live a semi normal life. Joe Thomas talks about how he couldn't go down steps normally, that he had to go down them backwards and not just in season but for years.

Bulaga has his a Super Bowl. He got his big contract. He should be content to retire and take care of his body.

Joemailman
01-29-2020, 08:18 AM
Bulaga is a warrior, but I honestly think he is going to retire. You listen to guys like Joe Thomas talk about his last couple of years in the league and how they need to reinvent their bodies after they retire so they can live a semi normal life. Joe Thomas talks about how he couldn't go down steps normally, that he had to go down them backwards and not just in season but for years.

Bulaga has his a Super Bowl. He got his big contract. He should be content to retire and take care of his body.

I was going to say he might finish his career with the Bears (he's from the Chicago area), but the Bears are one of the worst teams with salary cap room, about 6 million.

By he way, the Vikings are the worst team in the NFL. They are currently 10 million over the cap. https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings/ They will need to cut some people or restructure some contracts.

Zool
01-29-2020, 09:15 AM
I bet Griffen restructure. Rhodes and Joseph had not great years. They probably won't be back. Those 3 would move about $30m

Joemailman
01-29-2020, 09:19 AM
I bet Griffen restructure. Rhodes and Joseph had not great years. They probably won't be back. Those 3 would move about $30m

They are almost certain to cut Rhodes, who declined this year. That would save them 8M. Joseph 10M.

pbmax
01-29-2020, 09:21 AM
Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap @KenIngalls
We are about 4-6 weeks away from the Packers media catching on to the the fact Ibraheim Campbell is not a free agent for 2020.

His contract tolled and he is currently under contract for the Packers in 2020.

run pMc
01-29-2020, 09:54 AM
They are almost certain to cut Rhodes, who declined this year. That would save them 8M. Joseph 10M.
I think Joseph was hurt and missed some games. Rhodes is a likely cut, and Griffin a restructure or cut. They also have to figure out what to do with Antoine Harris, Mackenzie Alexander, and Trae Waynes. Word is they will be revamping their secondary by necessity.
People saw this coming for a while -- they had a dominant defense and to keep it together signed many of the players to 2nd contracts.

IIRC the Star Tribune sport section had an opinion piece about 2 weeks back comparing the Vikings team/cap unfavorably to the Packers.

Deputy Nutz
01-29-2020, 10:10 AM
I think the Packers best chance at upgrading their roster through free agency is addressing the defensive line, and then signing Jack Conklin from Tennessee. Inside linebacker doesn't offer a lot of options in free agency, and neither does WR. I wouldn't even bring up offensive line if it wasn't for Conklin.

call_me_ishmael
01-29-2020, 11:12 AM
What about Kyle Van Noy as the Blake Martinez replacement?

texaspackerbacker
01-29-2020, 12:45 PM
I like the idea of getting Conklin.

Joemailman
01-29-2020, 01:15 PM
It will be interesting to see if Conklin hits free agency. The Titans have plenty of salary cap room (51 million), but Tannehill and Derrick Henry are also free agents.

run pMc
01-29-2020, 03:41 PM

Conklin is estimated to be due for a 6y/90M contract.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/market-value/2020/tackle/

I think Gute passes on that or is otherwise outbid. Some team desperate for OL help like ARI or CIN (both with more cap space than GB) throws a bank branch at him to be a cornerstone.

run pMc
01-29-2020, 03:57 PM
Honestly, when Gute says they have less flexibility to be active in FA (or whatever his exact words were), he's not kidding. Rodgers cap hit is 21.6M for 2020, but jumps to 36M in 2021 and 40M in 2022. The Smiths' cap hits also jump, and Bahk and A.Jones are FA after 2020.

Yeah, I'm looking at 2021, and there might be a strike, the cap keeps growing, etc. ... but either way that's a lot of dough. I'm thinking they sign Clark and Crosby, kick the tires on Bulaga, dig around for some minimum salary guys, hope the draft goes well, and keep their powder dry.

Dumping Graham and possibly Taylor (who I keep hoping gets traded for a Day 3 pick vs. getting cut) would help their cap space, but I'm skeptical they go on a FA binge like last year.

Joemailman
01-29-2020, 04:40 PM
Honestly, when Gute says they have less flexibility to be active in FA (or whatever his exact words were), he's not kidding. Rodgers cap hit is 21.6M for 2020, but jumps to 36M in 2021 and 40M in 2022. The Smiths' cap hits also jump, and Bahk and A.Jones are FA after 2020.

Yeah, I'm looking at 2021, and there might be a strike, the cap keeps growing, etc. ... but either way that's a lot of dough. I'm thinking they sign Clark and Crosby, kick the tires on Bulaga, dig around for some minimum salary guys, hope the draft goes well, and keep their powder dry.

Dumping Graham and possibly Taylor (who I keep hoping gets traded for a Day 3 pick vs. getting cut) would help their cap space, but I'm skeptical they go on a FA binge like last year.

They signed Patrick to an extension through 2021, so they are covered there should they decide not to keep Linsley after 2020. That would be a big savings right there. Linsley's cap hit in 2020 is 10M. We won't see another FA binge like we saw last year, but they'll have room to make some moves each year. Russ Ball is one of the best as managing the cap, even if it's tougher under Gutekunst than it was under Thompson.

pbmax
02-01-2020, 10:23 AM
Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
Packers RBs Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams had their 2020 base salaries jump from $735,000 to $2.147 million via the NFL’s proven performance escalator. Players drafted in rounds 3-7 qualify in the final season of their rookie deal if they play at... https://es.pn/31dI8qv

This, among other year end adjustments, takes Packers cap space closer to $23 mil compared to the $32 mil that was showing a few weeks ago.

mraynrand
02-01-2020, 01:46 PM
What about Kyle Van Noy as the Blake Martinez replacement?

maybe too expensive, but not a bad choice. Except against pass happy teams, he plays almost every down. Can get sacks. Gets passes completed against him (RB and TE), but is competitive. hen they needed to stop the run, Hightower was the guy they trusted to fill holes (see TN playoff game). Would still need a speedy partner (Burks? lol).

Joemailman
02-03-2020, 10:06 AM
Cowboys likely to franchise Dak Prescott. Mike McCarthy must be thrilled.

Zool
02-03-2020, 02:42 PM
Cousins should restructure for the Vikes too. Longer term, same guaranteed.

mraynrand
02-03-2020, 04:15 PM

Thoughts:

Who else would they get?
Stubby must have been hired promising that he at least could get better more consistent play from Dak.
Franchise gives them time to find the next guy?

Not an exhaustive or exclusive list.

run pMc
02-04-2020, 07:11 AM
TAWM BRADEE

Seriously, Dak is a Jerrah guy and a contract extension is going to happen. Otherwise, it's trying to lure Tannehill (unlikely) or Teddy Bridgewater (bad scheme fit for M3?). Or Philip Rivers LOL
I think M3 can work fine with Dak.

Will be interesting to see what they do with their receivers, with Cooper a FA and Witten basically being 45 years old.

pbmax
02-04-2020, 07:44 AM
Not sure they would like to move on from Zak, but M3 and Rivers would be fun.

GB-Brandon
02-07-2020, 04:01 PM
Albert Wilson is a guy I could see being on the Packers radar. He fits LaFleur’s scheme nicely and fills a glaring need. He did have a hip injury that slowed him up a bit in 2019 but came on strong towards the end of the season. He would be somewhat cheap too. I would like the move if everything is right.

https://youtu.be/GZsFmcZLmTs

Joemailman
02-07-2020, 05:28 PM

Thoughts:

Who else would they get?
Stubby must have been hired promising that he at least could get better more consistent play from Dak.
Franchise gives them time to find the next guy?

Not an exhaustive or exclusive list.

I wasn't suggesting they would go get someone else. I was thinking McCarthy can't be thrilled with the prospect of a Zeke-like holdout by his QB when he's trying to install a new offense.

mraynrand
02-08-2020, 11:31 AM
I wasn't suggesting they would go get someone else. I was thinking McCarthy can't be thrilled with the prospect of a Zeke-like holdout by his QB when he's trying to install a new offense.

Got it. Have to agree in the short term. Still I wonder how much cache that guy has. He seems to play his worst when the team needs him most. Maybe a holdout would be just the thing to eventually usher him out the door?

Freak Out
02-08-2020, 12:22 PM
Albert Wilson is a guy I could see being on the Packers radar. He fits LaFleur’s scheme nicely and fills a glaring need. He did have a hip injury that slowed him up a bit in 2019 but came on strong towards the end of the season. He would be somewhat cheap too. I would like the move if everything is right.

ummm.....yes!

Joemailman
02-08-2020, 03:46 PM

He is not a free agent, but has a base salary of 9.4 million in 2020. Is it a given he will be released by the Dolphins? They certainly don't need the cap space.

GB-Brandon
02-08-2020, 04:25 PM
He is not a free agent, but has a base salary of 9.4 million in 2020. Is it a given he will be released by the Dolphins? They certainly don't need the cap space.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2019/12/14/21021844/where-should-the-miami-dolphins-go-with-albert-wilson

This is just one article of many but the buzz is he won’t be back in Miami. He only has a cap hit of 1.3 million to let him walk. He was brought in and was supposed to be a big part of Adam Gase’s offense(and was) and there moving in a different direction now with new coordinator. It’s not official but it sounds like he is as good as gone from the Dolphins. It’s pretty clear with the current receivers they have the dolphins don’t feel he is worth the 9 million but we shall see.

If the hip is good one man’s trash could be another man’s treasure.

Bretsky
02-08-2020, 08:33 PM
GB Brandon; never said this...but welcome to the forum. I enjoy reading a lot of the stuff you post.

GB-Brandon
02-08-2020, 10:29 PM
GB Brandon; never said this...but welcome to the forum. I enjoy reading a lot of the stuff you post.

Thank you. This is a good forum.

bobblehead
02-11-2020, 09:53 AM
Ok, I'm making a call here. GB's backup QB for 2020 season will be.....Blake Bortles. Hackett was his OC in Jacksonville and he has a year in the McVay offense. I think he is only 25 and has skills. I think he got a raw deal in Jacksonville. 2 years with Flower and behind Rodgers and he takes over after ARod's big contract is up....I could get behind this. Get a former #2 pick who has had success and give up zero resources to get him.

pbmax
02-11-2020, 10:14 AM
Ok, I'm making a call here. GB's backup QB for 2020 season will be.....Blake Bortles. Hackett was his OC in Jacksonville and he has a year in the McVay offense. I think he is only 25 and has skills. I think he got a raw deal in Jacksonville. 2 years with Flower and behind Rodgers and he takes over after ARod's big contract is up....I could get behind this. Get a former #2 pick who has had success and give up zero resources to get him.

I don't know about giving up zero resources to get him. High draft pick QBs tend to retain value long after its clear they are overpaid or overvalued.

Otherwise, I would be OK with this.

texaspackerbacker
02-11-2020, 12:38 PM
Boyle can hold a clipboard (or tablet) just as good as Bortles and probably would be a lot cheaper. Neither of them or anybody else within reason could pull the team through if Rodgers went down.

For the future 5 or 7 or 8 or 10 years from now, I want somebody a helluva lot better than Bortles.

texaspackerbacker
02-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Not sure they would like to move on from Zak, but M3 and Rivers would be fun.

Correct. No way in hell Jerry Jones gives up on Dak for some old retread. I suspect that point was made very clear to McCarthy before signing him.

Bretsky
02-11-2020, 01:03 PM
Correct. No way in hell Jerry Jones gives up on Dak for some old retread. I suspect that point was made very clear to McCarthy before signing him.

'

WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU WERE JERRY JONES ?

According to NFL Network Prescott wants Russell Wilson Money. He wants to be paid like the top QB in the NFL but he's not near that good.

Cowboys may franchise him, and it could get ugly.

Do you really make Prescott the top paid QB in football when in reality he's a top 10 guy ?

When you overpay that position, the talent all around will get watered down in the next few years

mraynrand
02-11-2020, 01:11 PM
For the future 5 or 7 or 8 or 10 years from now, I want somebody a helluva lot better than Bortles.

My guess is the future is gonna be a lot sooner

run pMc
02-11-2020, 01:29 PM

Or the Flower talks Gute into going after Mariota since MLF worked with him at TEN. These guys have good arms but I'm not sure about them as anything more than an experienced backup QB vs. the Kizers and Boyles (or Taysom Hills) of the world.
If either was the starter they'd need a lot of offensive help around them -- using the adage of QB as horses or wagons, they are wagons -- they can't drag an inferior team to playoff contention IMO like Rodgers, Brady, etc.

run pMc
02-12-2020, 01:09 PM
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/what-can-the-packers-afford-in-free-agency-615

Fritz
02-12-2020, 02:01 PM
Boyle can hold a clipboard (or tablet) just as good as Bortles and probably would be a lot cheaper. Neither of them or anybody else within reason could pull the team through if Rodgers went down.

I am so sick of all you bastards making generalizations like this without any evidence. Do you watch football at all, Tex? Have you ever noticed the way Boyle lets the clipboard sag? He treats it like it's a disease. Contrast that with Bortles, who looks ever-ready with that clipboard held at the exact angle that Mike McCarthy teaches in his famous quarterback camps.

mraynrand
02-12-2020, 02:48 PM
Nobody, and I mean nobody ever held a clipboard like Steve Bono. The next best isn’t even in the same zip code. He’s also in the top 5 all time of visor wearers. Some think he is more dominant that Andre Agassi.

pbmax
02-12-2020, 03:14 PM
Bono was tall, which helps with clipboard mechanics. He can see everything.

Deputy Nutz
02-13-2020, 08:13 AM
Ty Detmer was the best at holding a clip board. Although I will state that Steve Bono had some the best career defining moments as a clip board manager. Bono should have his own section in the Hall of Fame.

pbmax
02-13-2020, 08:27 AM
Sign Cobb?

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/48678/a-randall-cobb-reunion-packers-need-a-slot-receiver-and-he-might-be-free

texaspackerbacker
02-13-2020, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to it if we also got the speed burner we need in the draft. Any slot guy we drafted in the mid rounds would be less of a sure thing than Cobb, and Cobb's effectiveness would be enhanced with more speed outside to open things up.

pbmax
02-13-2020, 10:41 AM
Barnwell: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28648779/five-2020-offseason-moves-nfc-teams-bill-barnwell-predicts-trades-free-agency-cuts

Green Bay Packers

Projected 2020 cap space: $22 million

1. Cut Jimmy Graham. General manager Brian Gutekunst's forays into free agency have been successful on defense, as Adrian Amos, Preston Smith, and Za'Darius Smith all delivered during the 2019 season. On offense? Not so much. Billy Turner was a below-average guard last season, while Graham has averaged just 33.8 receiving yards per game and caught five touchdowns in 32 contests with the Packers.

The Packers were dreaming about a telepathic red zone connection between Graham and Aaron Rodgers when they signed the former Seahawks tight end to a three-year, $30 million deal in 2018, but Graham's 10-touchdown run in 2017 was an outlier. He's also one of the league's worst blocking tight ends. Graham will still have a job somewhere, but the Packers should move on and free up $8 million in cap space by cutting him.

2. Re-sign Bryan Bulaga. While health has been an issue for the 31-year-old right tackle, the 2010 first-round pick was able to start all 16 games in 2019. He did miss most of two contests, and one of them was quite memorable, as it was the 49ers game where Rodgers spent most of his time running for his life. The numbers with and without Bulaga aren't quite as significant as that one game would seem; over the last three season, Rodgers has posted a passer rating of 99.9 with Bulaga on the field and 88.6 without him, although his QBR is actually six points better without Bulaga over that time frame.

The Packers could let Bulaga leave and replace him from within; both Turner and Elgton Jenkins have played tackle in the past, and with Lane Taylor returning from a torn biceps, the Packers could push one of their starting guards to tackle. The best scenario? Start Jenkins and Taylor at guard with Bulaga at right tackle and Turner as the first man off the bench.

Turner wasn't that impressive to me either. For that money, I wonder if the actually plan for him to play Tackle?

texaspackerbacker
02-13-2020, 01:53 PM
Your link in post #64 above says this: "With Graham and Taylor on the books, the Packers rank in the bottom third (No. 23) of available cap space for 2020 with $28,851,008, according to ESPN Stats & Information." The difference between that and $22 million could get us a pretty decent FA.

Taylor wasn't too bad before getting hurt. He did seem better than Turner. If we draft an O Lineman in the 3rd to 6th round, there's a good chance the guy would need a year or so to be ready to start. Whether we re-sign Bulaga IMO depends a lot on how expensive he gets. As decent a season as he had last year, I wouldn't want to bet the farm on his staying healthy and good for very long. The disparity in QBR probably says more about lame back ups in the past. I like your "best scenario". We'll see if the team does.

Graham, according to your other link, is the highest paid TE in the NFL. You're right about him playing somewhere - he's still borderline decent and the best we have. I wish the Packers could restructure him for about half as much cap hit, but I doubt that could happen.

Deputy Nutz
02-13-2020, 02:09 PM
Sure the Packers have 28 million or whatever this year, I am not a cap guy but I think there is some checks for the Smiths and Rodgers that hit the books in 2021. I don't know how that all works, so forgive me for not making complete sense of all it.

Bretsky
02-13-2020, 03:13 PM
Barnwell: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28648779/five-2020-offseason-moves-nfc-teams-bill-barnwell-predicts-trades-free-agency-cuts

Green Bay Packers

Projected 2020 cap space: $22 million

1. Cut Jimmy Graham. General manager Brian Gutekunst's forays into free agency have been successful on defense, as Adrian Amos, Preston Smith, and Za'Darius Smith all delivered during the 2019 season. On offense? Not so much. Billy Turner was a below-average guard last season, while Graham has averaged just 33.8 receiving yards per game and caught five touchdowns in 32 contests with the Packers.

The Packers were dreaming about a telepathic red zone connection between Graham and Aaron Rodgers when they signed the former Seahawks tight end to a three-year, $30 million deal in 2018, but Graham's 10-touchdown run in 2017 was an outlier. He's also one of the league's worst blocking tight ends. Graham will still have a job somewhere, but the Packers should move on and free up $8 million in cap space by cutting him.

2. Re-sign Bryan Bulaga. While health has been an issue for the 31-year-old right tackle, the 2010 first-round pick was able to start all 16 games in 2019. He did miss most of two contests, and one of them was quite memorable, as it was the 49ers game where Rodgers spent most of his time running for his life. The numbers with and without Bulaga aren't quite as significant as that one game would seem; over the last three season, Rodgers has posted a passer rating of 99.9 with Bulaga on the field and 88.6 without him, although his QBR is actually six points better without Bulaga over that time frame.

The Packers could let Bulaga leave and replace him from within; both Turner and Elgton Jenkins have played tackle in the past, and with Lane Taylor returning from a torn biceps, the Packers could push one of their starting guards to tackle. The best scenario? Start Jenkins and Taylor at guard with Bulaga at right tackle and Turner as the first man off the bench.

Turner wasn't that impressive to me either. For that money, I wonder if the actually plan for him to play Tackle?

ROLL THAT JIMMY G MONEY AND A BIT MORE TO AJ GREEN IF IT WORKS

Bretsky
02-13-2020, 03:14 PM
Sign Cobb?

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/48678/a-randall-cobb-reunion-packers-need-a-slot-receiver-and-he-might-be-free

Pass; I'll take my Badger :)))

jklowan
02-13-2020, 03:26 PM
THAT 22 MIL FIGURE DOES NOT INCLUDE THE 10 MIL FROM THIS YEAR THAT WILL ROLL OVER, SO 32 MIL before any cuts

jklowan
02-13-2020, 03:26 PM
gonna be hard to sign any free agents if they want either bulaga or Martinez back

RashanGary
02-13-2020, 03:46 PM
Im curious to see what Fackrell makes on the open market. Martinez too. Neither looks anywhere close to Z or P. If they get anything close in money, Gute did a great job choosing other guys over our own

RashanGary
02-13-2020, 03:49 PM
Another thing, it was easy to MLF in year 1 to sell his brotherhood, we love each other mantra. Let's see how warm everyone feels in year two after a couple ice cold axes from mabagement fall on their brothers.

RashanGary
02-13-2020, 04:04 PM
Blake really would be a nice keep if the price stays down. That whole back 5 with king, Alexander, Amos, Savage and blake are just learning how to play along side each other. They were able to play man AND zone fairly well by seasons end. But the experience and continuity will open the door for some tricky presnap disguises like you see in Tennessee and Minnesota and Chicago and other veteran back ends. Blake would keep the band together so they can build off what they've already got down and enter into more top level NFL secondary mixes

RashanGary
02-13-2020, 04:12 PM
If ya keep Blake and draft a corner in this corner heavy draft, you're looking at a flexible and cohesive back end of the defense in 2020.

Ya got some experienced hybrid pieces to fill the sub defense positions.

Lots of things can happen if they don't break up the band

pbmax
02-13-2020, 04:39 PM
Your link in post #64 above says this: "With Graham and Taylor on the books, the Packers rank in the bottom third (No. 23) of available cap space for 2020 with $28,851,008, according to ESPN Stats & Information." The difference between that and $22 million could get us a pretty decent FA.

Taylor wasn't too bad before getting hurt. He did seem better than Turner. If we draft an O Lineman in the 3rd to 6th round, there's a good chance the guy would need a year or so to be ready to start. Whether we re-sign Bulaga IMO depends a lot on how expensive he gets. As decent a season as he had last year, I wouldn't want to bet the farm on his staying healthy and good for very long. The disparity in QBR probably says more about lame back ups in the past. I like your "best scenario". We'll see if the team does.

Graham, according to your other link, is the highest paid TE in the NFL. You're right about him playing somewhere - he's still borderline decent and the best we have. I wish the Packers could restructure him for about half as much cap hit, but I doubt that could happen.

Its hard to compare apples to apples here. But no, there isn't a $6 million discrepancy in the Packers favor.

They have around $20-23 mil in space after all the LTBE incentives from last year, adjustments and performance escalators hit (Jones and Williams both got bumps).

They need to commit almost another $10 million for players not counting on the current cap at the moment (top 51 contracts), draft picks and room to maneuver next year (like sign someone if a player ends up on IR and that player doesn't have game bonuses to help offset).

Which leaves them $13 mil or so to be in FA. It could be more if you dump Graham or Taylor. Less if Bulaga is re-signed. More if you re-do Linsley.

pbmax
02-13-2020, 04:41 PM
THAT 22 MIL FIGURE DOES NOT INCLUDE THE 10 MIL FROM THIS YEAR THAT WILL ROLL OVER, SO 32 MIL before any cuts

Yes it does. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

They rolled over 5.33 million.

Zool
02-13-2020, 07:55 PM
Is Clark hitting his 5th year option this season? He’s going to get paid soon enough.

pbmax
02-14-2020, 08:19 AM
Is Clark hitting his 5th year option this season? He’s going to get paid soon enough.

Yes, this is his last year of deal. 5th year option got him to $7.6 mil.

pbmax
02-14-2020, 08:44 AM
Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo
#Redskins are releasing CB Josh Norman, source says. Intriguing situation to watch, as he now has time to find his new team ahead of free agency.

GB-Brandon
02-14-2020, 05:22 PM
Josh Norman has aged and is a shell of what he used to be. “Hard Pass”

The player they released that I’m interested in is Paul Richardson. He could present some great value and address a need in our offense. The key for him is staying healthy. Could be worth a flier type deal incentive laced He should be on Packers radar.

Gotta take some chances.

pbmax
02-15-2020, 08:20 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Sources: The #Ravens are releasing S Tony Jefferson, a starter for the last three seasons. He had a cap hit of almost $12M, and this saves the majority of it.

red
02-15-2020, 08:55 PM
i'm shocked we haven't cut graham yet

wtf are they waiting for? this one is a no brainer

Bretsky
02-15-2020, 10:14 PM
i'm shocked we haven't cut graham yet

wtf are they waiting for? this one is a no brainer

Maybe they are not going to cut him; it's almost too easy of a call IMO

Joemailman
02-15-2020, 10:39 PM
There's not really any hurry. Unlike last year, there is no huge roster bonus payable in March.

bobblehead
02-16-2020, 12:22 PM

Bortles got Jacksonville to an AFCC game. He did so without many weapons outside of fournette. He has had good seasons before. He absolutely could hold the ship if rodgers went down, and I believe he signed for 5 million with the Rams so I think a 3 year for 12 would do it.

bobblehead
02-16-2020, 12:23 PM
'

WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU WERE JERRY JONES ?

According to NFL Network Prescott wants Russell Wilson Money. He wants to be paid like the top QB in the NFL but he's not near that good.

Cowboys may franchise him, and it could get ugly.

Do you really make Prescott the top paid QB in football when in reality he's a top 10 guy ?

When you overpay that position, the talent all around will get watered down in the next few years

Its actually simple. You let him walk and give McCarthy a do over on Taysom Hill...duh!!

bobblehead
02-16-2020, 12:26 PM
Or the Flower talks Gute into going after Mariota since MLF worked with him at TEN. These guys have good arms but I'm not sure about them as anything more than an experienced backup QB vs. the Kizers and Boyles (or Taysom Hills) of the world.
If either was the starter they'd need a lot of offensive help around them -- using the adage of QB as horses or wagons, they are wagons -- they can't drag an inferior team to playoff contention IMO like Rodgers, Brady, etc.

Marriotta is horrible. Just awful. People like to complain about Tebow's accuracy, I saw marriotta hit the dirt from 10 yards to Cory Davis....the next play he sailed the same pass over his head. Bortles is a decent QB who got caught up in a horseshit situation where a team had ideas that they were better than they actually were and scapegoated him.

Bretsky
02-16-2020, 01:25 PM
Bortles got Jacksonville to an AFCC game. He did so without many weapons outside of fournette. He has had good seasons before. He absolutely could hold the ship if rodgers went down, and I believe he signed for 5 million with the Rams so I think a 3 year for 12 would do it.

I think this is a great idea

Joemailman
02-16-2020, 01:48 PM

I think perhaps you give him a little too much credit. Jags had the NFL's #1 rushing offense and #17 passing offense in 2017 as well as the NFL's #2 defense. He's never been able to win when he was the focal point of the offense. Outside of 2017, he's 14-43 as a starter.

mraynrand
02-17-2020, 04:07 PM
Its actually simple. You let him walk and give McCarthy a do over on Taysom Hill...duh!!

I want to see this

pbmax
02-17-2020, 07:34 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Lions have spoken with multiple teams about a potential trade for Pro Bowl CB Darius Slay, per sources. Any team that trades for Slay would have to compensate Detroit and Slay with a new deal. Other teams believe Slay will be traded this off-season, but Lions adamant on value.

pbmax
02-17-2020, 07:35 PM
I want to see this

Would be ironic for Hill to get a chance with a coach guaranteed to put him in shotgun 50 times a game and expect him to pass from the pocket or a half rollout.

Bretsky
02-17-2020, 07:41 PM
CUT JIMMY ALREADY

TE's to consider in free agency would be Hunter Henry and Eric Ebron. Henry is great when not injured
ILB's to consider would be Cory Littleton, who would be ideal for what our DC needs. Joe Schobert would be ok but he's probably staying in Cleveland

pbmax
02-17-2020, 07:41 PM

The #AZCardinals have agreed with OT D.J. Humphries on a three-year, $45 million deal with $30m over the first 2 years, $29m guaranteed, sources say. Jon Perzley and Brian Mackler of @SPORTSTARSNYC were able to strike a deal with the Cards on David Johnson and now Humphries.

RashanGary
02-17-2020, 09:24 PM

The #AZCardinals have agreed with OT D.J. Humphries on a three-year, $45 million deal with $30m over the first 2 years, $29m guaranteed, sources say. Jon Perzley and Brian Mackler of @SPORTSTARSNYC were able to strike a deal with the Cards on David Johnson and now Humphries.

Goodbye Bulaga

KYPack
02-17-2020, 11:31 PM
CUT JIMMY ALREADY

TE's to consider in free agency would be Hunter Henry and Eric Ebron. Henry is great when not injured
ILB's to consider would be Cory Littleton, who would be ideal for what our DC needs. Joe Schobert would be ok but he's probably staying in Cleveland

Word out of Cleve was they wanted to move on from Schobert. I really like the guy. He could be the plugger with Martinez chasing. Pettine should alter his scheme to include two classic ILB types. Sound vs the run.

Anyone aware of any young interior DL types out there in UFA land?

pbmax
02-18-2020, 07:32 AM
Word out of Cleve was they wanted to move on from Schobert. I really like the guy. He could be the plugger with Martinez chasing. Pettine should alter his scheme to include two classic ILB types. Sound vs the run.

1. Chris Jones, Kansas City Chiefs

2. Grady Jarrett, Atlanta Falcons

3. Michael Brockers, Los Angeles Rams

4. Leonard Williams, New York Jets

5. Jarran Reed, Seattle Seahawks

List is not updating with signings, but its a start.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826694-an-early-look-at-the-2020-nfl-free-agent-class#slide7

pbmax
02-18-2020, 07:57 AM

Best list so far: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/

Will include signings I guess when they become official in March? Has a signed filter, but no one on it yet.

RashanGary
02-18-2020, 08:40 AM
The thrill is gone with the Rodgers, Z and P contracts. It's always fun to spend but less fun when you're a day late and dollars short to get over the hump.

Gotta hope for some lucky low cost pan outs or we fucked

RashanGary
02-18-2020, 08:41 AM
The thrill is really gone for Minnesota ! Theyre done for.

RashanGary
02-18-2020, 09:00 AM
On the bright side, we have three good pass rushers under contract for next year and a secondary going into their second year together. Sullivan should slide right into Williams spot and be fine. Greene and Campbell have experience and cohesiveness in the dime spot.

I do expect an elite pass defense in 2020. Hopefully it's enough to get us home playoff games and we luck into pass teams in the post season.

RashanGary
02-18-2020, 04:53 PM
I'd rather have Martinez than Bulaga. I feel better about the two headed Vehldeer/Light or draft pick monster than I do the Summers/Burks/pathetic draft debacle

RashanGary
02-18-2020, 04:55 PM
Martinez is getting the blame for the horrible run game edge play by our pass rush princesses. He's an alright player, young and by far the best we're gonna get. I hope his price stays reasonable

Joemailman
02-18-2020, 10:03 PM

Article in JSO saying Pettine's use of Safety at ILB is cutting edge, but not sustainable. https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/02/18/green-bay-packers-use-safety-nickel-linebacker-gets-exposed/4726274002/ Running game has been making a comeback in the NFL with the Disciples of Shanahan coaching tree. Pettine may have to adjust. He may have been forced into this to some point by the limitations of Martinez and the utter failure of Burks. Will be interesting to see how Gutey tries to restock the position.

Bretsky
02-18-2020, 10:22 PM
I'd rather have Martinez than Bulaga. I feel better about the two headed Vehldeer/Light or draft pick monster than I do the Summers/Burks/pathetic draft debacle

Do you think the price tag for Bulaga and Martinez are similar ?

Martinez loves GB and wants to stay here. And if we could draft and pair up an athletic ILB high that would be great. But I'm guessing he makes north of 10 MIL.

I thought Bulaga last signed for about 7MIL/year, didn't he ? He's near the end. I'm not sure he strikes it rich given his age.

wist43
02-19-2020, 05:01 AM
Do you think the price tag for Bulaga and Martinez are similar ?

Martinez loves GB and wants to stay here. And if we could draft and pair up an athletic ILB high that would be great. But I'm guessing he makes north of 10 MIL.

I thought Bulaga last signed for about 7MIL/year, didn't he ? He's near the end. I'm not sure he strikes it rich given his age.

If you want a playmaker in the middle of your defense, then Martinez needs to be replaced.

Personally, I view him as a weak link - and given that he is right in the middle if the action, you can't hide him.

Burks certainly isn't the answer. My guess is they cut him this year.

pbmax
02-19-2020, 08:13 AM
Article in JSO saying Pettine's use of Safety at ILB is cutting edge, but not sustainable. https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/02/18/green-bay-packers-use-safety-nickel-linebacker-gets-exposed/4726274002/ Running game has been making a comeback in the NFL with the Disciples of Shanahan coaching tree. Pettine may have to adjust. He may have been forced into this to some point by the limitations of Martinez and the utter failure of Burks. Will be interesting to see how Gutey tries to restock the position.

It was cutting edge four years ago when Burnett played it.

pbmax
02-19-2020, 08:14 AM
If you want a playmaker in the middle of your defense, then Martinez needs to be replaced.

Personally, I view him as a weak link - and given that he is right in the middle if the action, you can't hide him.

All depends on Martinez's price. You don't want to cut the best ILB on the team even if he is limited unless the price is ridiculous. Otherwise, you have to spend the same money on two players. They aren't going to pick up a 3 down guy who can cover for cheap.

Zool
02-19-2020, 08:21 AM

He was a 3rd rounder, and was pretty solid on coverage teams. He's in the last year of his rookie deal. He'll get a final year to suck then get cut.

pbmax
02-19-2020, 08:25 AM
Watched one minute of Queen versus Auburn. Has a good stiff arm and can disengage from a block (though not fantastic). He's not quick to diagnose Malzahn's play action but he doesn't take many bad steps. Haven't seen him on much coverage.

He did get blocked by a TE downfield but at least held his ground.

He is playing strong side in a 2 ILB set which I did not expect from the speed guy.

pbmax
02-19-2020, 09:04 AM
It can always be worse:

Spotrac @spotrac
In one month (3/19), Jared Goff will be paid his $21M roster bonus for 2020. In addition, his $25M 2021 salary, $2.5M 2021 roster bonus, & $15.5M 2022 roster bonus ALL become fully guaranteed. His dead cap figure will rise to $94M!

Tony Oday
02-19-2020, 09:48 AM
I wish AR would renegotiate and lower his cap number so we could get a stud WR to go with Adam's then we track meet teams.

Bretsky
02-19-2020, 10:07 AM
I wish AR would renegotiate and lower his cap number so we could get a stud WR to go with Adam's then we track meet teams.

GOTTA give Brady a ton of Credit for agreeing to those cap friendly deals.

That is why Dallas hasn't signed Dak Prescott. He wants Russell Wilson money but he's not worth 35MIL/YEAR

They give it to him and then the talent on their team starts getting gutted one year at a time when they are unable to keep or get any talent.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-19-2020, 10:13 AM

Man, ODay, you're living proof that mankind don't need brain to thrive in this mordern mercantile hell hole. Just need capital.

Great Arm of Butte in fact recently renegotiated, my simpleton foe. Traded in a sumptuous roster bonus for a sumptuous signing bonus, which freed up additional cap capital.

pbmax
02-19-2020, 10:42 AM
Will never cease to be amazing how many people think athletes (or anybody) shouldn't get top dollar for their services.

Players didn't ask for the cap. That is the owners protecting the weakest franchises.

pbmax
02-19-2020, 10:44 AM
I DON'T THINK THIS WILL DO IT

A look at a possible Bryan Bulaga Contract:

3 years - $35M - $11.67M Average
$9M signing bonus
Packers could release after 1-2 years.
$9.67M 2020 salary cap hit

Most Importantly - 30% Rule Compliant

I'm not sure this is even enough to keep him.

Thoughts? Questions?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERE77SzX0AAbD-N?format=png&name=small

bobblehead
02-19-2020, 11:07 AM
I think perhaps you give him a little too much credit. Jags had the NFL's #1 rushing offense and #17 passing offense in 2017 as well as the NFL's #2 defense. He's never been able to win when he was the focal point of the offense. Outside of 2017, he's 14-43 as a starter.

He ran a lot for that #1 rushing title as well though.
stats:

2015 4400 yards, 35TD 18Int A few too many picks for my taste, but for a second year guy not too bad. Then the organization started jerking things around. New coaches, new coordinators, trading guys, locker room issues. He has had 300+ yards rushing every season. He played well in his lone postseason. Honestly, I can't figure out why everyone has given up on this guy, but Ryan Tannehill and Jimmy G are the new hotness. Best Jimmy G season is 4k 27td 13 picks. And he can't run away from a turtle. Postseason he has 2td and 3 picks...with a dominant running game.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-19-2020, 11:21 AM
Will never cease to be amazing how many people think athletes (or anybody) shouldn't get top dollar for their services.

Players didn't ask for the cap. That is the owners protecting the weakest franchises.

Actually, revenue sharing is what's preventing fat cats like Jerry Jones from cannibalizing on the weak cats.

The pig owners love the salary cap b/c it helps them accumulate capital, and capital creates wealth. In other words, the cap allows the owners to exploit the players. Rake in $400 M, cook the cap to make it look like it has reached the max of $200 M, but pay the players only $150 M.

pbmax
02-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Actually, revenue sharing is what's preventing fat cats like Jerry Jones from cannibalizing on the weak cats.

The pig owners love the salary cap b/c it helps them accumulate capital, and capital creates wealth. In other words, the cap allows the owners to exploit the players. Rake in $400 M, cook the cap to make it look like it has reached the max of $200 M, but pay the players only $150 M.

Jones likes, but doesn't need, a salary cap. Revenue sharing is what keeps the cap within profitable reach for the Bengals.

Bretsky
02-19-2020, 02:03 PM

So who replaced Martinez then ? I am consistent, and have been in saying Gooter comittted the motherload of f'ck ups by drafting Gary instead of moving up to get Davin Bush. PIttsburg took his jock strap. He was the guy who could have let Martinzez walk withougt taking a major step backward.

Burks should be cut. Because he was a 3rd round pick they might carry the dead weight. But we don't need our 3rd round picks to be special teams guys only.

pbmax
02-19-2020, 02:32 PM

A new look at a possible Kenny Clark extension if the Packers use salary escalators.

��5 year, $87.75M ($17.15M APY)
��$41.5M guranteed
��Escalators in years 2-5
��30% Rule compliant
��2nd highest non-edge rusher DL contract (APY) behind Aaron Donald per Overthecap contracts

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERKeaulXsAAQhXa?format=png&name=small

RashanGary
02-19-2020, 05:10 PM
About right. Clark is a top 5 IDL and 24 years old. He's our best defensive player. As long as Z gets 12 sacks but doesn't set an edge, he cant be considered our best.

RashanGary
02-19-2020, 05:25 PM
King, Clark, Aaron Jones, Lindsley (probably let go), Bakh all free agents next year.

I'd look at extending them all now, except Lindsley who will be 30 next year and I just don't trust on a 3rd contract.

GB-Brandon
02-19-2020, 09:53 PM
So who replaced Martinez then ? I am consistent, and have been in saying Gooter comittted the motherload of f'ck ups by drafting Gary instead of moving up to get Davin Bush. PIttsburg took his jock strap. He was the guy who could have let Martinzez walk withougt taking a major step backward.

Burks should be cut. Because he was a 3rd round pick they might carry the dead weight. But we don't need our 3rd round picks to be special teams guys only.

You roll the dice on a rookie and save the $ that it would cost to re-sign Martinez. Martinez wasn’t great. Average at best. His PFF rating was 58.7. He made a lot of tackles but where he made most of the tackles wasn’t acceptable. His pass coverage was mediocre. He had trouble reading screens. He can’t make it too the sideline. We Don’t Need Him!!!

Then you throw in the Champ Game performance against the Niners and he was crying after the game knowing he is GONE after the LIMITATIONS he showed. I mean seriously, how much worse could it get then what he put on tape against the Niners?

I’d much rather spend the $ on a TE or WR that can help Rodgers out then overpay a JAG. Ted Thompson probably would of overpaid Martinez to stay and thank god Thompson is gone.

GB-Brandon
02-19-2020, 10:07 PM
With the way the league is set up today with salary cap and what guys are getting paid you need rookies to PRODUCE NOW more then ever. There are a 130 Division 1 football programs alone. If you can’t find the right guys then your failing as a GM.

If you draft a developmental player with the 12th pick in the draft you might have to take a look at how you value things.

Just Sayin.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-19-2020, 11:55 PM

A new look at a possible Kenny Clark extension if the Packers use salary escalators.

��5 year, $87.75M ($17.15M APY)
��$41.5M guranteed
��Escalators in years 2-5
��30% Rule compliant
��2nd highest non-edge rusher DL contract (APY) behind Aaron Donald per Overthecap contracts

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERKeaulXsAAQhXa?format=png&name=small

I ain’t dig the love for Clark. Where the fuck was the fat man when the 69ers were pounding the duke up and down the Pack’s rear end?

Any fat man in the XFL - or on the streets of Baltimore - could gang bang with the same Kung Fu Clark has been displaying...for the minimum wage.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-20-2020, 12:14 AM
Clark is the Vonnie Holiday of DTs. Shows up once in 3 blue moons to inflate stats. Let him walk the walk of life.

pbmax
02-20-2020, 08:06 AM
If we are going by play versus San Fran, then the two D lineman need to go first. Martinez wasn't that bad.

pbmax
02-20-2020, 08:22 AM
You can always cook the cap Part 1,001:

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
Report: Everson Griffen told Vikings he's voiding remainder of contract

bobblehead
02-20-2020, 09:19 AM
It can always be worse:

Spotrac @spotrac
In one month (3/19), Jared Goff will be paid his $21M roster bonus for 2020. In addition, his $25M 2021 salary, $2.5M 2021 roster bonus, & $15.5M 2022 roster bonus ALL become fully guaranteed. His dead cap figure will rise to $94M!

So you're saying we may never get a shot at my dark horse candidate, Blake Bortles.

bobblehead
02-20-2020, 09:25 AM

You have to protect the weakest franchises to protect the strongest ones. You can't have 7 teams in Houston and 9 in NY to play the 8 in LA. The league would fail.

And Personally I have never said athletes shouldn't get top dollar. As a GM I wouldn't pay a QB such a ransom unless he was currently top 5 at the position (or elite, since there might be 3 or 7 at any given time). Arod is free to get every dollar someone wants to pay him, I just wish it wasn't us at this point. Agreed, he doesn't owe it to GB to take less than the market is willing to pay, that simply is a question if he wants to win or get paid. Personally if I'm in his position I tell Gutes I'll drop the deal by 10 Mil a year if he signs me a new toy on offense. But thats just me.

bobblehead
02-20-2020, 09:33 AM

You're half right. He actually should have moved down and taken Burks or Sweat if he wanted an OLB. Other options to beef up the front 7 could have been Christian Wilkens or Jeff Simmons (Gary red shirted last year anyway, might as well take simmons). We could have taken dillard and we wouldn't be sweating the Bulaga departure. I'm not hindsighting the draft either, these were all players I posted about (except simmons who everyone knew was awesome but sitting a year).

bobblehead
02-20-2020, 09:36 AM
King, Clark, Aaron Jones, Lindsley (probably let go), Bakh all free agents next year.

I'd look at extending them all now, except Lindsley who will be 30 next year and I just don't trust on a 3rd contract.

Strongly disagree. Lindsley plays with great leverage and has been very healthy his entire career. He deserves one more contract unless you got the heir apparent waiting.

bobblehead
02-20-2020, 09:39 AM
You roll the dice on a rookie and save the $ that it would cost to re-sign Martinez. Martinez wasn’t great. Average at best. His PFF rating was 58.7. He made a lot of tackles but where he made most of the tackles wasn’t acceptable. His pass coverage was mediocre. He had trouble reading screens. He can’t make it too the sideline. We Don’t Need Him!!!

Then you throw in the Champ Game performance against the Niners and he was crying after the game knowing he is GONE after the LIMITATIONS he showed. I mean seriously, how much worse could it get then what he put on tape against the Niners?

I’d much rather spend the $ on a TE or WR that can help Rodgers out then overpay a JAG. Ted Thompson probably would of overpaid Martinez to stay and thank god Thompson is gone.

Yea, that Thompson guy sucks. All he ever did was deliver 2 separate franchises an Owl and give us 5 NFCC games. Chump.

The rest of your post was much better though. We will likely still have a hole at MLB, but losing Blake is better than paying $10 mil and having a hole.

bobblehead
02-20-2020, 09:40 AM

And while I'm at it, most GM (including most of the GMs on this board) would have welcomed Favre back and lost Arod this negating the future as well. Best GM I have ever had the pleasure of watching...period

Anti-Polar Bear
02-20-2020, 10:21 AM
Yea, that Thompson guy sucks. All he ever did was deliver 2 separate franchises an Owl and give us 5 NFCC games. Chump.

If you're gonna give Todd credit for drafting busts like McIntosh and Koran Robinson in Seattle, gotta give Sherman credit for SB45.

In 2004, the Packers started 1-4 and were dancing with a top 10 pick. But Sherman made the playoffs. Todd loved DeMarcus Ware. A top 10 pick woulda gotten Ware in the Green and Gold. But Sherman made the playoffs.

Some cocky QB from Butte fell onto Todd's lap at 24, a pick Sherman received for making the playoffs. The rest is mama-fucking history.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-20-2020, 10:45 AM
If we are going by play versus San Fran, then the two D lineman need to go first. Martinez wasn't that bad.

If Clark could get a pig to pay him $90 M, well, power to the playa. But if I were a pig, I would not pay Clark that much.

Clark is neither an elite runstopper nor a sacker. He disappears for long stretches, especially in big games, showing up only against cupcake OLs. In other words, Clark ain't Warren Sapp.

Pay 90 million frogskins to a shutdown corner, prima donna WR, or a poet pass rusher - not some sluggish DT.

run pMc
02-20-2020, 10:51 AM

Disagree. I'd rather have a solid pair of OT to protect the QB than a average-to-good ILB who can't reliably cover. Veldheer won't hold up and that they found him on the street was both a miracle and an indication of what they thought of Light.
They can resign a cheap thumper like Goodson and pair him with a fast cover ILB and keep Bulaga. Do they need to replace Bulaga? Sure, but I would guess they'll draft and develop a guy to be the 2021 starter (like they wanted Spriggs to be).

I don't think Martinez is bad, I just don't think he's going to be worth what he'll get in FA. Gute pretty much conceded Blake's gone in his season ending comments. IIRC he didn't explicitly say they were going to try and bring him back, just that the LB position was going to get a long look.

run pMc
02-20-2020, 11:01 AM
Strongly disagree. Lindsley plays with great leverage and has been very healthy his entire career. He deserves one more contract unless you got the heir apparent waiting.

I like Linsley and Patrick can fill in ok for a game or two, but I wouldn't bet against them getting younger and cheaper at C. Also, if Linsley's back flares up and become chronic issue he'll go downhilll fast.
They'll resign Bahk for sure -- good LT's don't hit the FA market -- and try to keep their cap allocation at OL reasonable.

Will be interesting to see what they do with Turner - he's been remarkably healthy but he's only so-so at RG and I'm not sold on him at RT. They're paying him a lot of money to be the 5th best starting OL.

run pMc
02-20-2020, 11:07 AM

The rest of your post was much better though. We will likely still have a hole at MLB, but losing Blake is better than paying $10 mil and having a hole.

Yup. Blake isn't bad, but they've had him in the middle of the D for years with different players next to him and the results haven't really changed all that much. Maybe that's on the DL, but I don't think paying him 5 or 10M a year to stay in the MOF fixes things. (Granted, they could let him go and do nothing, which might make things much worse, but Gute has indicated he'll upgrade the ILB group.)

And Kenny Clark? He's good, and at age 24 he's still ascending. You can't just find guys like him on the street, so you pay him the money. When he's 28 or 29 maybe you let him walk but he's the best you have on an otherwise pedestrian DL. $90M for 5 years? Yeah it's a lot of money but what do you do? He's the closest thing GB has to Fletcher Cox... those guys get paid.

Vincenzo
02-20-2020, 11:23 AM
Sorry bud, but you can keep dreaming.

run pMc
02-20-2020, 11:50 AM
The various scenarios they float are interesting. It also validates my belief that they are likely to be TT-esque player in the FA market this year due to cap space.
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/19/projecting-potential-packers-offseason-scenarios/

GB-Brandon
02-20-2020, 11:56 AM

The last 3-4 years he did SUCK and is mainly the reason we’re in this situation now playing catch up.

His hands needed to be taken off the Steering wheel a long long time ago.

run pMc
02-20-2020, 05:03 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/stefon-diggs-removes-all-vikings-photos-from-his-instagram-account/

prelude to a trade?

RashanGary
02-20-2020, 05:58 PM

He's getting older. Patrick is pretty good. Gotta save somewhere

RashanGary
02-20-2020, 06:02 PM
The last 3-4 years he did SUCK and is mainly the reason we’re in this situation now playing catch up.

Yeah, last 3 years were bad. Gute is doing better than health deteriorating Thompson. But Thompson had a great run, and by all accounts was a truly great dude. Hard to talk too much shit about him without putting it in context the way bobble did.

Joemailman
02-20-2020, 06:17 PM
He's getting older. Patrick is pretty good. Gotta save somewhere

What about this year? Packers could save 8.5 million on the salary cap by trading/releasing Linsley. If they really like Patrick, would they consider it to be able to go after a free agent at a position of great need?

pbmax
02-20-2020, 08:30 PM
Lions are releasing DT Damon “Snacks” Harrison, per source.

pbmax
02-20-2020, 08:38 PM

MUST SIGN SWERVIN' ERVIN

Updated look at the Packers' salary cap:

Current Cap: $23.2M

➕Tender 5 ERFA
➕Draft 10 rookies
➕Extend Clark
➕Sign Bulaga, Crosby, Lewis, Ervin
➖Release Graham, Taylor

Adjusted Cap: $16.4M

➖In-Season Funds
➖Practice Squad
➖Contracts 52 & 53

Spendable Cap: $6.3M

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERPV9-wVAAIEOeA?format=png&name=small

pbmax
02-21-2020, 06:17 PM
Bears are releasing WR Taylor Gabriel and CB Prince Amukamara, per source.

Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Gabriel had an impressive year with LaFleur in Atlanta.

Bretsky
02-21-2020, 08:13 PM
Bears are releasing WR Taylor Gabriel and CB Prince Amukamara, per source.

Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Gabriel had an impressive year with LaFleur in Atlanta.

I"d take Gabriel on the cheaps

Joemailman
02-21-2020, 08:35 PM
https://dawindycity.com/2020/02/21/chicago-bears-how-good-2020-season/

Though it’s not certain how exactly the Bears will spend their $27 million, rumors began to swirl on Thursday that the Bears could be targeting veteran quarterback Derek Carr. The soon-to-be 29 year old QB carries a cap hit of around $20-21 million in the three years remaining on his contract.

The rumors were further fueled by a cryptic Instagram post from Carr, hugging former teammate turned Chicago Bear Khalil Mack. Fans immediately began to speculate of a potential reunion.

call_me_ishmael
02-21-2020, 10:36 PM
I"d take Gabriel on the cheaps

For real. Why did this dude get cut? He's a good player, is he not?

Joemailman
02-22-2020, 05:43 AM
For real. Why did this dude get cut? He's a good player, is he not?

Had a down year in 2019. Not sure why.

Edit: He missed 7 games with concussions.
He is one of the smallest players in the NFL at 5-7, 168. So, while very quick, probably won't contribute much in the blocking area.

Joemailman
02-24-2020, 01:10 PM
Vontaze Burflict reinstated by the NFL. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102838/article/freeagent-lb-vontaze-burfict-reinstated-by-nfl

Fasten those chinstraps!

call_me_ishmael
02-24-2020, 01:15 PM
Marcell Dareus screams the kind of free agent this team could go after. How much does everyone think he'll get?

Joemailman
02-24-2020, 01:38 PM
Marcell Dareus screams the kind of free agent this team could go after. How much does everyone think he'll get?

Made about 8 million last year. Missed most of the season with a core muscle injury. Would have made 20 million this season.

Joemailman
02-24-2020, 01:42 PM
Jags also letting Jake Ryan go. Played in just 2 games last year after missing all of 2018 due to ACL tear with Packers.

Bretsky
02-24-2020, 04:45 PM
Jags also letting Jake Ryan go. Played in just 2 games last year after missing all of 2018 due to ACL tear with Packers.

HE was WIST'S FAVORITE GUY

GET HIM BACK. JUST IMAGINE

JAKE RYAN, BURKS, and the BACONATOR ALL ON THE FIELD AT THE SAME TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

run pMc
02-25-2020, 09:53 AM
^ LOL

I don't know if Ryan can stay healthy at this point... so I guess he'd fit in with Burks. Seriously, Burks has turned into a good ST player, but you definitely expect more from your R3 pick.

pbmax
02-25-2020, 10:09 AM
Don't whitewash wist falling in love with Gary immediately after the draft.

Never forget.

pbmax
02-26-2020, 07:33 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/stefon-diggs-removes-all-vikings-photos-from-his-instagram-account/

prelude to a trade?

Vikes said they aren't trading Stefon. Which everyone assumes meant offers were low.

pbmax
02-26-2020, 07:40 AM
You ask for miracles Rats. I give you the AT-LANTA FALCONS

NFL Update @MySportsUpdate
This essentially confirms that #Falcons Pro Bowl TE Austin Hooper will be with a new team in 2020.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Falcons are planning to allow starters TE Austin Hooper and De’Vondre Campbell to test free agency, GM Thomas Dimitroff said today. The likelihood is that both players receive large deals in free agency, but Atlanta hasn’t ruled out keeping them for the right price.

BUT HE ISN'T GOING TO BE CHEAP

run pMc
02-26-2020, 08:45 AM
I like Austin Hooper -- he's a good TE and someone will throw money at him.

SO I want to play devil's advocate today and ask: Why should you spend big money at TE when very few top 700 yards in a season? Is it the mismatches with LB/S or the ability to go run/pass? Many of the top pass catchers aren't great run blockers.
I'm wondering if it really pays to spend a lot of money on a TE that likely isn't a great blocker and essentially produces on a WR2 or WR3 level. I also wonder if you're better off drafting/finding a cheap huge WR like Lazard or Kumerow to do many of the same things (run seam and short routes, help seal edges/run block).

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/te/2019

call_me_ishmael
02-26-2020, 10:25 AM
Alec Ogletree - there is your Green Bay Packers starting ILB next year.

Okay, who really knows, but maybe.

Deputy Nutz
02-26-2020, 11:55 AM
The more and more I get into the draft, the reality is the Packers should sign a veteran stop gap, and then see what value they can get in the middle rounds of the draft at that position.

I am not sure the value at 30 for the inside linebacker position.

Bretsky
02-26-2020, 12:43 PM
Don't whitewash wist falling in love with Gary immediately after the draft.

Never forget.

Flipper :))))

run pMc
02-26-2020, 02:47 PM
Alec Ogletree - there is your Green Bay Packers starting ILB next year.

Okay, who really knows, but maybe.

If he was Rams-era Ogletree, sure. He was considered a prototype 3 down ILB with coverage abililty. Playing for the NYG last season he looked fat and slow, but maybe playing for a contender would motivate him. PFF graded him at 54.2 vs. Blake at 58.7, so ???
I could see them signing a vet to play ILB -- the group is very inexperienced without Blake.

GB-Brandon
02-26-2020, 04:55 PM
Hard Pass on Ogletree.

I want “young and Twitchy”

bobblehead
02-26-2020, 05:57 PM

We just finished top 4. I wouldn't call that playing catch up. He had one stinker of a draft. The others were not that bad.

bobblehead
02-26-2020, 06:01 PM
You ask for miracles Rats. I give you the AT-LANTA FALCONS

This essentially confirms that #Falcons Pro Bowl TE Austin Hooper will be with a new team in 2020.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Falcons are planning to allow starters TE Austin Hooper and De’Vondre Campbell to test free agency, GM Thomas Dimitroff said today. The likelihood is that both players receive large deals in free agency, but Atlanta hasn’t ruled out keeping them for the right price.

BUT HE ISN'T GOING TO BE CHEAP

This and Hunter Henry were my top 2 wish list guys to advance this team in the offseason. Hooper would be a great fit, and would we really pay him more than we paid Graham?

RashanGary
02-26-2020, 06:01 PM
We just finished top 4. I wouldn't call that playing catch up. He had one stinker of a draft. The others were not that bad.

True. And he left a great cap situation for gute and some good players and good contracts.

To gutes credit, other than Graham, he spent the money well. And has had some decent drafts.

Thompson's health was so bad, gute has been an upgrade to the unhealthy version of Ted. And the three silos structure has been a really good way of putting each guy in position to succeed . Packers in good hands. But they were with Thompson until the end too.

pbmax
02-26-2020, 06:30 PM
The more and more I get into the draft, the reality is the Packers should sign a veteran stop gap, and then see what value they can get in the middle rounds of the draft at that position.

I am not sure the value at 30 for the inside linebacker position.

Agree

GB-Brandon
02-26-2020, 09:19 PM

Yeah because Gute came in and effectively turned over the whole roster with means other then “developing 6th round picks” as your ace in the hole. Thompson was a great talent evaluator in his prime but his Stubborn and Shrewd ways cost us probably “Two Lombardi’s”.

Thompson was flat out garbage his last years and should of been let go way before it got to where it ended up.

GB-Brandon
02-26-2020, 09:24 PM
Thompson hit gold with a generational talented QB and then let him hang out to dry as he went into some kind of “Manic DB Drafting Frenzy”. He drafted some really smart guys too. Lol

Then Dom Capers and building a defense from the back to the front. Lol. “The Ten Year Build A CHAMP DEFENSE PLAN” that was a total pipe dream.

call_me_ishmael
02-26-2020, 09:27 PM

Dude come on, they were awful. Do you not recall my in depth breakdown of picks? Those drafts were horrible.

GB-Brandon
02-26-2020, 09:44 PM
If you want to build a “Top Defensive Pedigree” you gotta do it more like the Seahawks have done it over the years(they did have a down year by there standards last year). You gotta go out and get some mean mofo’s that want to take other peoples lunch money. Load the defense with twitchy athletes that can “play mean” and be bully’s. Whether you like it or not that is the mentality needed. All this “finesse schemes” and “exotic looks” is smoke and mirrors and eventually gets “RAN OVER”. I personally wouldn’t be building a front seven around guys that are from Northwestern and Stanford. I really don’t want a bunch of “nice guys” protecting my goal line.

Gute has gotten some of what is needed. We will see if he can complete the process.

GB-Brandon
02-26-2020, 09:46 PM
Dude come on, they were awful. Do you not recall my in depth breakdown of picks? Those drafts were horrible.

Please don’t. I don’t want to re-live it. It’s just too painful.

RashanGary
02-27-2020, 12:55 PM
Tennessee has a tough DL but a smart secondary. There is something to be said for guys who can mix coverages, mask coverages and be on the same page. NE plays that way with their secondary too and won a bunch.

But yeah, the young, dumb and full of cum method worked well for SF and KC this year.

You can skin a cat a few different ways i.giess

Bretsky
02-27-2020, 03:44 PM
True. And he left a great cap situation for gute and some good players and good contracts.

To gutes credit, other than Graham, he spent the money well. And has had some decent drafts.

Thompson's health was so bad, gute has been an upgrade to the unhealthy version of Ted. And the three silos structure has been a really good way of putting each guy in position to succeed . Packers in good hands. But they were with Thompson until the end too.

The draft picks of Aaron Rodgers really carried Ted and his legacy. Having the best player carried us. I don't think he was great or bad, but he really f'cked some things up at the end. And the early version of Ted isn't nearly as aggressive the Gutinator. Guter has been good so far other than Gary. I have a hard time throwing a dart for Graham cause I agreed with the move.

But Goot does deserve criticism if we keep Graham around for the next year when we could apply that 8MIL toward a capable TE or another player

run pMc
02-27-2020, 03:51 PM
Tennessee has a tough DL but a smart secondary. There is something to be said for guys who can mix coverages, mask coverages and be on the same page. NE plays that way with their secondary too and won a bunch.

But yeah, the young, dumb and full of cum method worked well for SF and KC this year.

You can skin a cat a few different ways i.giess

Don't sell KC and SF short. SF had Jimmy Ward and Richard Sherman out there, and KC had the Honey Badger. Both also were able to produce pressure with Frank Clark/Chris Jones and SF's gang of 1st round picks (Bosa, etc.)
Agree TEN has a pretty good DL, and NE was able to pressure in various ways -- plus their defense was performing at an unsustainable rate early last season.

Good pass rush will make your secondary better. It certainly helps to have talent back there, but the Smiths definitely wrecked passing games at times.

Makes me think GB needs another good DL who can provide some pass rush and help out Kenny Clark. In 2010 they had Raji and Jenkins; they need another guy up front... I think they look to the draft.
(They also need better gap discipline vs. the run, but that's another issue.)

run pMc
02-27-2020, 04:10 PM
The draft picks of Aaron Rodgers really carried Ted and his legacy. Having the best player carried us. I don't think he was great or bad, but he really f'cked some things up at the end. And the early version of Ted isn't nearly as aggressive the Gutinator. Guter has been good so far other than Gary. I have a hard time throwing a dart for Graham cause I agreed with the move.

But Goot does deserve criticism if we keep Graham around for the next year when we could apply that 8MIL toward a capable TE or another player

Gute deserves some criticism. So does TT. Ted had a couple of clunker drafts, and he was less aggressive in his later years. He went after Lavar Arrington and Charles Woodson, after all. The only significant mid-to-late career FA signing I can think of is Julius Peppers.

Gute's first draft is looking iffy -- Alexander is really the only one doing much. Jackson & Burks can't get on the field, Madison hasn't been on the field in 2 years, J'Mon flamed out. MVS and ESB will make or break that draft. 2019 looks like a more promising draft class for him, so I hope the trend of better drafting continues. As for Graham, after Cook and Bennett they still had nothing behind them, so I'm not surprised they went after him. He was clearly on the downside of his career though, so your returns will be diminishing. If Gute keeps him without redoing the contract I'll be shocked.

I've become somewhat bearish on signing a FA TE to big money. I understand they can be a good mismatch but I think it's easier and probably cheaper to sign/develop a quality WR corps that can carry the slack of pedestrian TEs. I just think paying a TE $7-8M for 500 yards and 5 TDs isn't really that great unless they are ascending players. What teams pay the Jack Doyles and Nick Boyles of the world is pretty amazing.

QBME
02-27-2020, 08:29 PM
OK, I'm too ignorant (lazy) to understand the salary cap thing.
I know we have a very low 1st round pick that has a slotted salary number. Other than that I do not know how much the Pack has to spend on free agents, trades under contract, etc. All I know is Aaron is chewing up a boat load of money.
So,

1. Can we afford any free agents?
2. Who on the team is dead wood - cut and burn?
3. Do we have any trade bait that will alleviate the cap pressure and get a player/pick that will help the situation?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bretsky
02-27-2020, 09:14 PM
OK, I'm too ignorant (lazy) to understand the salary cap thing.
I know we have a very low 1st round pick that has a slotted salary number. Other than that I do not know how much the Pack has to spend on free agents, trades under contract, etc. All I know is Aaron is chewing up a boat load of money.
So,

1. Can we afford any free agents?
2. Who on the team is dead wood - cut and burn?
3. Do we have any trade bait that will alleviate the cap pressure and get a player/pick that will help the situation?

Inquiring minds want to know.

1. Our two major guys we have going to FA is Blake Martinez and Brian Bulaga, and both are expected to get the eight to twelve MIL/Year Range. IF we sign both I don't think we can dip much into FA. Sign one and probably have room for one decent sized FA.

2. Jimmmy why am I still on the roster Graham would save us around 8MIL/Year. To me he's the Captain Obvious guy and you could use has savings to go to FA and find a player

3. I'm not sure we do. Every year we think we have WR's we can trade but to be honest they are all J.A.G.s. I'm not sure where we are so strong at a position we can give up depth who would play big roles elsewhere. Last year we traded Reggie Gilibert, an Edge for next to nothing. Then his production matched da Baconator so I'd rather have just kept him.

Bretsky
02-27-2020, 09:22 PM
I'm not buying it yet, but lots of chatter about Tom Brady going elsewhere.

He wants a two year committment and NE wants to go one year at a time. I think NE might go with a high QB this year as well.

Hoody Genius is pretty dam stubborn. Should be interesting

Smidgeon
02-28-2020, 11:34 AM
Packers purportedly planning to pursue Hooper.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/28/report-packers-planning-a-run-at-austin-hooper/

run pMc
02-28-2020, 11:47 AM
3. I'm not sure we do. Every year we think we have WR's we can trade but to be honest they are all J.A.G.s. I'm not sure where we are so strong at a position we can give up depth who would play big roles elsewhere. Last year we traded Reggie Gilibert, an Edge for next to nothing. Then his production matched da Baconator so I'd rather have just kept him.

Only trade bait I can think of might be Lane Taylor, who is a serviceable LG but not a good fit for MLF zone running scheme. He's got starting experience and 1 year left on a reasonable contract. If you have a lot of holes in your OL or your starting LG goes on IR you could do worse. I keep hearing about him being a possible cap casualty, which might prevent any good offers, but I'd rather trade him for a R5 or R6 that just cut him. Also: he might stick on the roster just for depth, although they like Lucas Patrick.

I don't think they will really go after many in FA. They'll want to extend Kenny Clark and start thinking about Aaron Jones, both of whom are in the last year of their contracts. Chasing Austin Hooper is interesting and would guarantee they cut Graham.

Joemailman
02-28-2020, 07:08 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/28/packers-lb-blake-martinez-seeking-10m-per-year-on-new-deal/

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Martinez – an unrestricted free agent coming off three-straight 140-tackle seasons – is seeking “at least $10 million per year” on a new deal.

The Journal Sentinel reports the Packers are also interested in Cleveland Browns linebacker Joe Schobert, who may command $10 million or more per season in free agency.

Haven't really watched Cleveland. Is Schobert better than Martinez, or vice-versa, or are they basically the same guy?

GB-Brandon
02-28-2020, 08:24 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/28/packers-lb-blake-martinez-seeking-10m-per-year-on-new-deal/

Haven't really watched Cleveland. Is Schobert better than Martinez, or vice-versa, or are they basically the same guy?

I’d say “Same Guy” which is a serviceable ILB until you play a team like the Niners or Ravens.

Bretsky
02-29-2020, 09:04 AM

I have followed Schoby when he want to the mighty Badge and in the pro's. I'm honestly surprised at how good he is.

He's the guy that maxes out his ability (like Blake).

He's a solid step up against the pass but a step down against the run. I'd say he gets less than Martinez in Free Agency

bobblehead
02-29-2020, 11:43 AM
Yeah, last 3 years were bad. Gute is doing better than health deteriorating Thompson. But Thompson had a great run, and by all accounts was a truly great dude. Hard to talk too much shit about him without putting it in context the way bobble did.

You think so? I absolutely hate the Jimmy Graham signing. I hate every draft pick he has made other than the center. Alexander is solid, but staying put and taking Derwin James was a much better move. Basically all Gutes has done worth a shit, was outspent everyone for 2 OLB and a S which got us a D that got run over in the NFCC. he made the NFCC game...something TT did a shitload of times....with an inferior coach.

bobblehead
02-29-2020, 11:51 AM

17 King AJones JWilliams
16 Clark Fackrell Matinez Lowry
15 Bad draft/coaches misused Randall and Montgomery
14 HaHa, Devonte, Lindsley

3 out of 4 drafts produced a total of 9 NFL starters. also produced a starter in the bad draft. If you can draft 10 effective starters every 4 years you aren't in too bad of shape in todays NFL.

Gutes has had 2 drafts. Alexander and a punter first draft are starters. Jenkins and Savage are starters. So far only Alexander and Jenkins have impressed me. I am not hopeful for any other players drafted. maybe MVS still as he was hurt last year. Even the punter doesn't really excite me.

pbmax
02-29-2020, 11:58 AM
Bobble, you gotta talk me out of wanting to trade down for an ILB and sign a free agent (GASP!) WR.

bobblehead
02-29-2020, 12:03 PM
Yeah because Gute came in and effectively turned over the whole roster with means other then “developing 6th round picks” as your ace in the hole. Thompson was a great talent evaluator in his prime but his Stubborn and Shrewd ways cost us probably “Two Lombardi’s”.

Thompson was flat out garbage his last years and should of been let go way before it got to where it ended up.

turned over the whole roster? LT, C, RT both RB, QB, 2 DL, ILB, CB, are all TT guys still....Yes, Gutes has used up all the cap space TT left him to sign an old Jimmy Graham and a few defensive guys, but 9 of the starters are still TT guys, and several of the replacements aren't all that great. Remeber, TT was sadled with Clay, who the fan base all loved (except me). He had perry on a regretful contract, but it was what the market demanded at the time. I could do this all day. Talk to me when gutes wins us an Owl. Talk to me when gutes makes another 4 NFCC games. Talk to me when gutes drafts a HOF QB and makes the fun choice of letting the previous one walk.

Grass is always greener guys like you crack me up. We had a monster run with a great GM and all you want to do is bitch because we had a few bad years. Lets be honest about why. M3 sucked as the league passed him by. Rodgers got hurt for the bulk of a season. Gute has picked early so far and hasn't landed an impact player yet (Jenkins will be though). TT drafted at the end of the round and landed guys like King and Clark. When Gary is comparable to either get back to me.

My best guess is that we have one more good season before entering cap hell and then bad drafts will take their toll.

bobblehead
02-29-2020, 12:05 PM

I just broke it down. Show me all the GM's that did better. Show me how many starters gutes has drafted that compare to TT's last drafts.

bobblehead
02-29-2020, 12:07 PM
If you want to build a “Top Defensive Pedigree” you gotta do it more like the Seahawks have done it over the years(they did have a down year by there standards last year). You gotta go out and get some mean mofo’s that want to take other peoples lunch money. Load the defense with twitchy athletes that can “play mean” and be bully’s. Whether you like it or not that is the mentality needed. All this “finesse schemes” and “exotic looks” is smoke and mirrors and eventually gets “RAN OVER”. I personally wouldn’t be building a front seven around guys that are from Northwestern and Stanford. I really don’t want a bunch of “nice guys” protecting my goal line.

Gute has gotten some of what is needed. We will see if he can complete the process.

Seahawks got the benefit of drafting a few guys much earlier than we ever did. then they won ONE owl. TT has one owl. He has a shitload more success than seattle has had.

bobblehead
02-29-2020, 12:09 PM
Christ, I just looked. Seahawks have had 10 wins 3 times and 11 wins last year. Won their own division ONCE. DOMINANT, you're right.

pbmax
02-29-2020, 12:13 PM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Following the breadcrumbs...the Packers have clearly spoken with Austin Hooper's representation, but haven't reached out to Bryan Bulaga's. Have to wonder if bringing Bulaga back is a lower priority than we assume.

Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
This TE class in the draft looks really bad, but it's really strong at OT and WR. Makes some sense for the Packers to solve TE by adding Hooper and then address OT/WR in the draft.

pbmax
02-29-2020, 12:17 PM
Christ, I just looked. Seahawks have had 10 wins 3 times and 11 wins last year. Won their own division ONCE. DOMINANT, you're right.

I love that no one agrees here. Refreshing.

#no snark

pbmax
02-29-2020, 12:18 PM
Bridge @BridgesFootball

2020 UFA LBS
Nick Kwiatkoski (@nkwiatkoski27)
Best value signing in UFA. Good in space. Smart player. Good lateral quickness & pursuit. Plays under control & good w/ hands to separate & shed. Plays fast. @NFLBrawl #BrawlNetwork

NO IDEA WHO BRIDGE IS, BUT STILL THIS POST HAS THE WORD VALUE IN IT

bobblehead
02-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Bobble, you gotta talk me out of wanting to trade down for an ILB and sign a free agent (GASP!) WR.

Signing a FA WR depends on how they view what they got. I want to sign Hooper in a big way as it fills a monster need. ILB is tricky. I have no clue what the draft holds, but I like instinct guys at that position not athletes. I would do the unpopular. Plug in a guy that won't kill us and play the hybrid next to him. Or better yet, play a true 3-4 and use 2 hybrid types while fat guys eat up blocks. The defense is a tweak away from being damn good. I don't think a ton more talent is necessary.

GM bobble probably takes a WR at 30 cuz this draft is silly with them. I think you will land a normal 12-17 pick at WR right where we are picking. Sign Hooper to give another weapon so you don't have to rely on a rookie WR other than the few things you get him to be successful at as a rookie. Keep Raven Greene healthy and "find" another undersized ILB either through the draft or FA. Bolton might even be that guy, but then play 3 DL all the time. Only play the dime/big nickel package on 3rd down, not 2nd and 7 constantly. Never on 1st down. Rodgers 2nd year in the O, advancement of WR talent + hooper would make a team that makes the NFCC again....can we win it? Well that as always depends.

bobblehead
02-29-2020, 12:26 PM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Following the breadcrumbs...the Packers have clearly spoken with Austin Hooper's representation, but haven't reached out to Bryan Bulaga's. Have to wonder if bringing Bulaga back is a lower priority than we assume.

Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
This TE class in the draft looks really bad, but it's really strong at OT and WR. Makes some sense for the Packers to solve TE by adding Hooper and then address OT/WR in the draft.

Also think Jenkins might end up RT this upcoming season and the next 10.

Gotarace
02-29-2020, 12:46 PM
Bridge @BridgesFootball

2020 UFA LBS
Nick Kwiatkoski (@nkwiatkoski27)
Best value signing in UFA. Good in space. Smart player. Good lateral quickness & pursuit. Plays under control & good w/ hands to separate & shed. Plays fast. @NFLBrawl #BrawlNetwork

NO IDEA WHO BRIDGE IS, BUT STILL THIS POST HAS THE WORD VALUE IN IT
I for some strange reason watched many Bears Games this season and this kid can play Ball...I'm on the Nick Train.

call_me_ishmael
02-29-2020, 02:49 PM
I just broke it down. Show me all the GM's that did better. Show me how many starters gutes has drafted that compare to TT's last drafts.

Do you own homework. I agree though that Gooter hasn’t lit the world on fire so far.

call_me_ishmael
02-29-2020, 02:50 PM
Also think Jenkins might end up RT this upcoming season and the next 10.

Maybe but I think it’d be silly to move an absolute stud at guard for the next 10. They do need to draft a tackle in the first round though. Bulaga or not.

RashanGary
02-29-2020, 03:19 PM
Good stuff, bobble. Lots of perspective there

Gutes barely had a chance. I'll compare them more in a few years. But gute just had us in the NFCC game so I'm not gonna write him off just yet.

I'm a big thompson fan, but down the stretch there, paying Perry but letting Hyde and Heyward go was awful. Then the awful stinker of a draft and a couple more so/so ones. His health was affecting him. It was time.

But TT had a great run. Second best run in the SB era of Packer history. Hofer

RashanGary
02-29-2020, 03:25 PM
The graham signing was awful.

Too early to judge the drafts.

Alexander, Scott, Bradley, Madison, MVS and ESB all still have chances

The entire 2019 draft still has a chance, other than Summers, who clearly sucks.

2020, he has his staff in place, a little more experience....

Gute gets a little more time to make my mind up.

Thompson is a HOFer who had severe health problems. It's two completely different topics

run pMc
02-29-2020, 04:27 PM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2

Zach Kruse @zachkruse2

Yeah, it sure looks like they aren't in a hurry to bring back Bulaga, and if they are looking at Schobert they're moving on from Blake. Also sounds like Fackrell won't be back.
Not sure about the Schobert signing; to me that's not a big upgrade from Blake to justify a $10M/yr contract. It also makes me think they are planning on drafting a RT high and maybe bringing Veldheer back for spot duty.

If you don't bring Bulaga back and you dump Graham you are missing starters at RT and TE. I think they will overpay if they sign Hooper and Schobert (which is what happens in FA)

pbmax
02-29-2020, 09:04 PM
I suspect the feeling is that Blake is more likely to get +10 mil than Show.

Leeeeroy might get a shot at RT but I also suspect Turner is carrying a dumb cap number for a Guard that played mediocre but makes more financial sense at Tackle.

pbmax
02-29-2020, 09:07 PM
Would love good ILB next to hybrid but you gotta find the hybrid. Everyone is looking. It’s why I am thinking of Pack trading up.

Agree best way to get around this is to go big up front but would need upgrade to Lowry.

If you want a WR, probably a prime year to trade down a few spots given depth.

Joemailman
03-01-2020, 06:48 AM
I suspect the feeling is that Blake is more likely to get +10 mil than Show.

Leeeeroy might get a shot at RT but I also suspect Turner is carrying a dumb cap number for a Guard that played mediocre but makes more financial sense at Tackle.

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/48728/packers-plan-to-make-a-run-at-te-austin-hooper-to-bolster-offense

If the Packers don’t re-sign veteran Bryan Bulaga, they don’t plan to move Elgton Jenkins to right tackle. The second-round pick from last year played so well at left guard that they don’t want to disrupt that. In fact, they view Turner, who played right guard, as a more viable option at tackle if they lose Bulaga in free agency. Also, it’s a tackle-rich draft, so they could find a replacement there.

Turner's ability to play Tackle is likely the reason they were willing to overpay him. With an OT-rich draft, Veldheer available for probably less money, and Turner available to play RT, doesn't seem likely they will pay big money to keep Bulaga. Brace yourself for the possibility of seeing Bulaga in a Bears uniform although cap space could prevent that.

mraynrand
03-01-2020, 07:06 AM
Bulaga to the Bears would be pure gold, like TJ Lang to the Loins.

Joemailman
03-01-2020, 07:41 AM
Cap space of NFC North teams:

Lions: 47.7 million

Packers: 20.4 million

Bears: 16.6 million

Vikings: 1.4 million

Packers go up to 33 million if they cut Graham and Taylor as expected.

Vikings expected to cut Xavier Rhodes which would save them 10 million. Linval Joseph and Riley Rieff could also be cut or asked to restructure contract. Everson Griffin already opted out of his contract.

Bears could save 13.2 million by cutting Leonard Floyd, whose play has declined.

mraynrand
03-01-2020, 07:45 AM
Everson Griffith ‘opted out of his contract’ when he was blocked into next year by Kittles in the Divisional game.

pbmax
03-01-2020, 08:38 AM
Peter Bukowski @Peter_Bukowski

@TonyPauline reporting #Jets WR Robby Anderson could cost ~$15 million in free agency with New York pushing to keep him. That's major money for an inconsistent player who has never been a true WR1.

Bretsky
03-01-2020, 01:16 PM
RUMORS

Jack Conklin will be signing with the Jets as a FA

AJ Green will be getting franchised if a deal can't be reached

Teamcheez1
03-01-2020, 04:42 PM
The AJ Green franchise tag is unbelievable.

Green will be 32 for next season and has missed 23 out of the last 24 games for the Bengals.
The tag is estimated to be worth $18.5M for 1 year. If I'm Green, I sign the tender as soon as it's offered.

The Bengals continue to show the stupidity of their organization. Perhaps Burrow should pull a Manning and refuse to play for them.

Bretsky
03-01-2020, 05:41 PM

Green will be 32 for next season and has missed 23 out of the last 24 games for the Bengals.
The tag is estimated to be worth $18.5M for 1 year. If I'm Green, I sign the tender as soon as it's offered.

The Bengals continue to show the stupidity of their organization. Perhaps Burrow should pull a Manning and refuse to play for them.

Rumors have it AJ Green would like to move on or get a long term deal, but he Bengals want to keep him. SO the franchise tag is more a short term solution to keep him there

Bretsky
03-01-2020, 05:42 PM

They were chatting about how messed up the Bengals are and then somebody asked. How many Bengals HOF QB's are there ?

call_me_ishmael
03-01-2020, 09:06 PM
Why would Burrow be mad at a one year show me deal to one of the best receivers in the league when healthy? Why wouldn’t you franchise him. It’s a great play IMO.

run pMc
03-02-2020, 07:41 AM
Why would Burrow be mad at a one year show me deal to one of the best receivers in the league when healthy? Why wouldn’t you franchise him. It’s a great play IMO.

Yeah, in theory they'd have Boyd and Green at WR, with Mixon at RB. They'd need to fix the OL even after getting Jonah Williams back, but it wouldn't be a bare cupboard to work with.

pbmax
03-02-2020, 08:20 AM

Why didn't Eli Manning want to go to San Diego and play with LaDanian Thomlinson and Antonio Gates?

run pMc
03-02-2020, 09:14 AM
Why didn't Eli Manning want to go to San Diego and play with LaDanian Thomlinson and Antonio Gates?

Archie thought they were a perennially losing franchise and an awful organization in general -- AJ Smith and Schotty were barely speaking, and going into 2004, the Chargers had put together a total of four winning seasons since 1983.
Not saying Cincy is much better, but they've had a few winning seasons in the last 10. Cincy is not known to be a model organization though, and I'm far from sold on Zac Taylor as a HC.

I think Burrow plays for them if they pick him, although I could just as easily see them trade down for a trove of picks and take Tua/Herbert. Dalton is due for a change of scenery.

KYPack probably has some more insights on CIN, but the situation does bear some resemblance to Eli/SD. I'd think keeping Green for at least one season would make playing there more appealing to Burrow.

pbmax
03-02-2020, 09:57 AM
The #Panthers are not expected to exercise their 2020 team option on DT Dontari Poe, per
@JourdanRodrigue. The move will save Carolina $9.8M in cap space.

call_me_ishmael
03-02-2020, 11:03 AM
The #Panthers are not expected to exercise their 2020 team option on DT Dontari Poe, per
@JourdanRodrigue. The move will save Carolina $9.8M in cap space.

This thick boy could look good at nose tackle and let Big Kenny play the 3 tech.

run pMc
03-02-2020, 12:06 PM
This thick boy could look good at nose tackle and let Big Kenny play the 3 tech.

I've been wondering this -- what is Kenny Clark's best position? NT or 3T?
With the 2 DL looks Pettine used I didn't always pay attention -- I guess I'd have to go back and watch some games to see where he was mostly lined up.

pbmax
03-02-2020, 01:49 PM
JennaLaineESPN @JennaLaineESPN

Not sure if this has been reported, but league sources have told me that they expect the Redskins to franchise tag Brandon Scherff and the Steelers to tag Bud Dupree.

run pMc
03-02-2020, 04:06 PM
JennaLaineESPN @JennaLaineESPN

Not sure if this has been reported, but league sources have told me that they expect the Redskins to franchise tag Brandon Scherff and the Steelers to tag Bud Dupree.

Also saw some quasi reputable site like cbssports claim that WAS are alternately shopping Trent Williams and hoping Rivera can talk him back into the fold. Says they want Duane Brown type trade comp (R2 and R3 for Williams and a R5?) I think he sticks with WAS but even if he is on the block GB might as well keep Bulaga. Both are old and beat up.

On unrelated FA news, I hope they don't sign Austin Hooper. He's good, but he's not 5y/$50M good IMO. If you think he's as good as a near-prime Jimmy Graham you're misinformed. (And yes, obviously the Graham contract is bad.)
I think the Cory Littleton interest is a smokescreen. He can really cover, but not play run D as well as Blake. Someone is going to throw $15M at him.
I think the Schobert interest is to see if they can get him for less than what Blake wants. Wouldn't be surprised if Blake wants $10M and year but they only want to pay him 6-7M at most and are looking at alternatives.
Doesn't hurt to perform due diligence and see what the market offers. Gotta have a backup plan.

JMHO

pbmax
03-02-2020, 04:20 PM
Also saw some quasi reputable site like cbssports claim that WAS are alternately shopping Trent Williams and hoping Rivera can talk him back into the fold. Says they want Duane Brown type trade comp (R2 and R3 for Williams and a R5?) I think he sticks with WAS but even if he is on the block GB might as well keep Bulaga. Both are old and beat up.

On unrelated FA news, I hope they don't sign Austin Hooper. He's good, but he's not 5y/$50M good IMO. If you think he's as good as a near-prime Jimmy Graham you're misinformed. (And yes, obviously the Graham contract is bad.)
I think the Cory Littleton interest is a smokescreen. He can really cover, but not play run D as well as Blake. Someone is going to throw $15M at him.
I think the Schobert interest is to see if they can get him for less than what Blake wants. Wouldn't be surprised if Blake wants $10M and year but they only want to pay him 6-7M at most and are looking at alternatives.
Doesn't hurt to perform due diligence and see what the market offers. Gotta have a backup plan.

JMHO

PFF ran something blasting Hooper over being short route limited. A creation of the Atlanta offense. https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1231731218800107529

Matt Bowen sees a little more.

https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/status/1234599138676834306

pbmax
03-02-2020, 04:21 PM
Remember, the Packers tried to get Bulaga to take pay cuts in 2018 & 2019. They had several OTs in as pre-draft visits to Green Bay before the 2019 draft. They practiced with Turner at RT a LOT in training camp last year.

Why would the Packers suddenly view Bulaga as a priority?

Teamcheez1
03-02-2020, 05:00 PM

Pay a WR top 5 money who hasn't essentially played the last two years and is on the wrong side of 30? No thank you. You could sign a top free agent at any position except QB for that kind of money.

KYPack
03-02-2020, 06:04 PM
Archie thought they were a perennially losing franchise and an awful organization in general -- AJ Smith and Schotty were barely speaking, and going into 2004, the Chargers had put together a total of four winning seasons since 1983.
Not saying Cincy is much better, but they've had a few winning seasons in the last 10. Cincy is not known to be a model organization though, and I'm far from sold on Zac Taylor as a HC.

I think Burrow plays for them if they pick him, although I could just as easily see them trade down for a trove of picks and take Tua/Herbert. Dalton is due for a change of scenery.

KYPack probably has some more insights on CIN, but the situation does bear some resemblance to Eli/SD. I'd think keeping Green for at least one season would make playing there more appealing to Burrow.

Cincy will draft and sign Burrow.

Tag Green? that's a jump ball. Some reports say that Burrow has asked the Bengals if Green will play one more season. Dunno know if it's true, but that's the news coming off the Ohio river bank.

Cincy needs to shore up a porous D that has real LB issues, so even this lowly team only has so much bread to go around.

Bretsky
03-02-2020, 06:52 PM

JMHO

All good points except Hooper. He's way better than Jimmy

call_me_ishmael
03-02-2020, 11:21 PM

'cause the Chargers are notoriously cheap and generally very bad record wise. See the stuff they pulled with Joey Bosa. I haven't heard that the Bengals are the same way, but they certainly have a similarly awful track record over an extended period of time.

call_me_ishmael
03-02-2020, 11:22 PM
Pay a WR top 5 money who hasn't essentially played the last two years and is on the wrong side of 30? No thank you. You could sign a top free agent at any position except QB for that kind of money.

Okay sure, but they have the rookie QB and they have the money, why not spend it on a risk free deal for one year on a top 5 WR? What FA are they going to get to *come to Ohio* that's better than AJ Greene when healthy?

pbmax
03-03-2020, 07:22 AM
'cause the Chargers are notoriously cheap and generally very bad record wise. See the stuff they pulled with Joey Bosa. I haven't heard that the Bengals are the same way, but they certainly have a similarly awful track record over an extended period of time.

P, the Bengals just hired their first full time scouting staff about 5 years ago. Cheap is their way of life.

pbmax
03-03-2020, 08:11 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Chargers and WR Travis Benjamin are mutually parting ways after the team and agent Robert Butler met at the Combine, source said. Benjamin, who has been with the team since 2016, will be a free agent when the league year begins.

in other news, Hunter Henry is getting tagged, so Hooper is possibly the top FA TE, depending on what happens to Ebron.

GB-Brandon
03-03-2020, 02:19 PM

JMHO

I’d rather pay Littleton 15 then Blake 10. I think they can get Littleton for around 12 with mutual interest. The Packers are gonna make a move on him. We shall see.

RashanGary
03-03-2020, 02:32 PM
I’d rather pay Littleton 15 then Blake 10. I think they can get Littleton for around 12 with mutual interest. The Packers are gonna make a move on him. We shall see.

Yuck. Put me down for neither

call_me_ishmael
03-03-2020, 02:52 PM
It's funny, I used to view MLB as a position where you slap in just about anybody with a rookie deal. It's like guard in a sense. Now-a-days it's viewed more importantly.

My views align with Bobbleheads. I would not pay a premium cost to land an ILB. Everyone throughout the league is trying to find the tweener so I'd zig where everyone else is zagging. I would instead try to find a really long, really thick end that can hold the edge well, and then find myself a thumper of an MLB. I would pair that Thumper with a safety.

I don't need Bobby Wagner if I have a good enough DL to let me thumper and safety run free.

Bretsky
03-03-2020, 03:33 PM

I don't think giving Blake 10 MIL is a real options

Schoebert 7.5 Million, or Littleton 12 Million ?

GB-Brandon
03-03-2020, 03:48 PM
I don't think giving Blake 10 MIL is a real options

Schoebert 7.5 Million, or Littleton 12 Million ?

Draft Jordyn Brooks on a rookie deal and spend the $ on DL.

run pMc
03-03-2020, 05:08 PM

I think they draft a DL - Kenny Clark is about to get paid and they already extended Lowry. GB has met with a lot of defensive players already, many of whom are mid-late round projections.

My initial thoughts are that their run defense issues were more DL related, their pass issues were LB/S related.
Maybe they try trading Burks for a conditional late round pick and hoping Summers and Bolton can back up.

If they can get Schobert for 7.5M that's not awful...especially if Blake is getting close to 10M somewhere. I still think they need to draft a LB.

pbmax
03-04-2020, 11:10 PM

By popular demand, below is what the Packers 2020 salary cap would look like when they officially make a roster move to release Jimmy Graham - no moves have been made yet.

This move will create $7,490,000 more in Top 51 cap space.

Money bagTotal Cap Space: $27,229,797

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESTpn4NWkAEnuR7?format=png&name=small

Deputy Nutz
03-05-2020, 10:28 AM

I don't know how old you are, but it's not easy to just draft someone. A lot of factors go into selecting a player on draft day. The likely hood of targeting a player after the first round go from slim to none, especially if you just stand pat at your draft slot. Brooks has some decent film and film where he looks completely lost. Looking at stats and highlight film can only tell you so much about a player. If I to put a round grade on Brooks it would a mid 3rd round pick. Packers would either reach in the second or have to trade up or back to get the right value for him. In my opinion Brooks does have the ability to play meaningful snaps as a rookie as long as the NFL learning curve is not too steep for him.

GB-Brandon
03-05-2020, 11:53 AM
I don't know how old you are, but it's not easy to just draft someone. A lot of factors go into selecting a player on draft day. The likely hood of targeting a player after the first round go from slim to none, especially if you just stand pat at your draft slot. Brooks has some decent film and film where he looks completely lost. Looking at stats and highlight film can only tell you so much about a player. If I to put a round grade on Brooks it would a mid 3rd round pick. Packers would either reach in the second or have to trade up or back to get the right value for him. In my opinion Brooks does have the ability to play meaningful snaps as a rookie as long as the NFL learning curve is not too steep for him.

If they can find a serviceable LB like Martinez in the 4th round then sure they can.

“Reach?” Lol. He was a 2nd team All-American by some outlets and had a PFF overall grade of “89”. The guy is a shredded 240 pounds with 4.5 speed. He has all in the intangibles as far as work ethic, leadership and character.

Its fine if you don’t like him as everyone has there favs but don’t just make stuff up to prove a point. If Oren Burks was a 3rd round prospect then Brooks is 1st round prospect according to that bench mark..

mraynrand
03-05-2020, 11:56 AM
It's a fine line between 'prospect' and 'gamble' :)

Deputy Nutz
03-05-2020, 12:10 PM
If they can find a serviceable LB like Martinez in the 4th round then sure they can.

“Reach?” Lol. He was a 2nd team All-American by some outlets and had a PFF overall grade of “89”. The guy is a shredded 240 pounds with 4.5 speed. He has all in the intangibles as far as work ethic, leadership and character.

Its fine if you don’t like him as everyone has there favs but don’t just make stuff up to prove a point. If Oren Burks was a 3rd round prospect then Brooks is 1st round prospect according to that bench mark..

I truly don't give a fuck about your opinion as you don't have to give two shits about my opinion on Brooks, it truly wasn't my point. If it was that easy to target guys coming out of college then why even have a draft? Teams are all going to try to move up to the second or third pick in this draft to get a QB because they can't predict what other teams are going to do. Now you are talking about a possible 2nd or 3rd round guy with 60 some odd picks to go around. The only sure way to get Brooks is to draft him a round earlier than what he is predicted to go. So if you want him with the 30th pick then say so.