PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Half Defense Against Seattle

pbmax
01-13-2020, 11:51 AM
It was a zone. But man was it a loose zone.

Was it prevent? Just to keep tabs on Wilson?

Were they in zone that much in the first half?

Discuss please.

MadtownPacker
01-13-2020, 11:58 AM
It sure seemed like prevent. Whatever it was if they try it Sunday that crazy white boy Kittle is gonna light the D up worse than last game. I say double cover the mfer all game. Send the pressure from the DL. If he is shutdown the entire Niners O will collapse and Jimmy G will make the mistakes needed to come out with the W.

Joemailman
01-13-2020, 12:05 PM
Not sure what that was but I hope I never see it again. My guess is a zone with 2 objectives: Prevent big plays downfield to Metcalf and keep on eye on Wilson. Worked reasonably well on Metcalf. Made things pretty easy for Wilson.

Bossman641
01-13-2020, 12:38 PM
Was definitely zone. Pettine had them playing zone so the db's could watch Wilson when he wanted to scramble. Hard to say if everything changed from first half to second.

mraynrand
01-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Not sure what that was but I hope I never see it again. My guess is a zone with 2 objectives: Prevent big plays downfield to Metcalf and keep on eye on Wilson. Worked reasonably well on Metcalf. Made things pretty easy for Wilson.

The deep drops on Metcalf were specifically to stop his main route - the (sideline) fly or go route (9). I saw at least on two occasions, Wilson looked over there and had to bring it back down. It prevented the big shot to Metcalf. Slow bleed versus gash. Eventually, it 'worked' mostly because 2019 Packers don't have HaHa or Bostick.

scharpcheddar
01-13-2020, 01:48 PM
2nd Half Defense Against Seattle.....?
Answer..there wasn't any.
Games play out now ,like poorly written Rocky Fights.

Fritz
01-13-2020, 01:51 PM
Was definitely zone. Pettine had them playing zone so the db's could watch Wilson when he wanted to scramble. Hard to say if everything changed from first half to second.

Funny, Pettine said about mid-week that he wanted his defensive secondary to keep eyes on the receivers/tight ends/running backs and NOT peek into the backfield to see what Wilson was doing. I think they did that in the first half, but the second half was the zone - softer than a baby's butt and looser than my stool after a few White Castles.

mraynrand
01-13-2020, 02:01 PM
2nd Half Defense Against Seattle.....?
Answer..there wasn't any.

nope, none at all

RashanGary
01-13-2020, 02:03 PM

Wilson makes every defense look bad

RashanGary
01-13-2020, 02:06 PM
Wilson put up 21 and 27 points against the vaunted 49ers defense who's cock everyone is sucking. But we give up 24 and the sky is falling and out DC is retarded

scharpcheddar
01-13-2020, 02:09 PM
Wilson put up 21 and 27 points against the vaunted 49ers defense who's cock everyone is sucking. But we give up 24 and the sky is falling and out DC is retarded

Yeah..Packers put up 8 points.. so yeah

Fritz
01-13-2020, 02:16 PM

So, just to be clear . . . the 49er's defense shares a single cock? Is that like Rodgers sharing a brain with Davante Adams?

mraynrand
01-13-2020, 02:51 PM
So, just to be clear . . . the 49er's defense shares a single cock? Is that like Rodgers sharing a brain with Davante Adams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa2TE--j394

texaspackerbacker
01-13-2020, 03:41 PM
The first half it looked like zone with the Safetys deep and all, but in the second half, it may have been man based on the way Wilson was gashing us for the long QB runs.

mraynrand
01-13-2020, 03:53 PM
The first half it looked like zone with the Safetys deep and all, but in the second half, it may have been man based on the way Wilson was gashing us for the long QB runs.

you would think so, but really it was a lot of zone. But I'm not sure what the defensive calls were on all his runs. He only had 7 - 2/16 in the first, and 5/48 in the third quarter anyway so it's not a huge issue. It's more than his runs, it's his overall movement.

rollo
01-13-2020, 04:35 PM
At least they kept Seattle from the big plays down the field.

Many times I thought Russ was dead for rights but he somehow escaped the defender's clutches at the last second. Not every QB is going to be that mobile and hard to tackle.

George Cumby
01-13-2020, 05:16 PM
Other team gets paid to win as well.

RashanGary
01-13-2020, 05:31 PM
Other team gets paid to win as well.

They have great players too. Russell Wilson avoided pressure all night and threw dimes. There for our defense is soft. Let's say we beat SF but kittle gets 130 yards and blocks some of our guys on their asses. In that case, it's not that we're soft. That's just what it's like playing George kittle.

The best players play the best. It's not any bigger, deeper or more complex than that.

When bad QBs look great and bad TEs look good, then we can start the chicken little tape and take it seriously.

For now, relax, we played 31 year old HOF Russ Wilson in his absolute prime,

MadtownPacker
01-13-2020, 05:35 PM
So, just to be clear . . . the 49er's defense shares a single cock? Is that like Rodgers sharing a brain with Davante Adams?Either way at least they are thinking with their head.

pbmax
01-13-2020, 05:43 PM
Its brutal when the QB can escape the pocket and throw. Damned if you do and damned if you don't go after him.

texaspackerbacker
01-13-2020, 07:53 PM
Absodamnlutely! Funny how some in here are so negative about our QB doing exactly that.

pbmax
01-13-2020, 08:34 PM
Absodamnlutely! Funny how some in here are so negative about our QB doing exactly that.

He hasn't been finding those people open though. I think he had 1, maybe 2, completions on boots.

Bretsky
01-13-2020, 09:19 PM
In the first half Seattle tried to establish the run; they completely gave up in the second half and put everything on Russell. I'm thankful they didn't do that sooner.

pbmax
01-13-2020, 09:33 PM
In the first half Seattle tried to establish the run; they completely gave up in the second half and put everything on Russell. I'm thankful they didn't do that sooner.

Every Seahawk fan I know has been lamenting that all season.

mraynrand
01-13-2020, 11:16 PM

That's an interesting take, but it's not really accurate. They really only did the run, run, run punt on the second possession. Their other 3 - I think - possessions of the first half had two other Lynch runs but otherwise were all pass and 2 Wilson runs. Packers played better defense in the first half and just got gassed "chasing a chicken in a field with no fence" as one of the Smith brothers put it.

smuggler
01-13-2020, 11:19 PM
Bigger impact is that it tapers down the pass rush. Won't have to worry about that with Jimmy G, but the SF O-line is generally much better than Seattle's

texaspackerbacker
01-14-2020, 02:29 PM
Are you sure SF's O Line is significantly better? Seattle's over the course of the season wasn't that bad either, and our pass rushers did all right. It's possible Seattle is conditioned to not pass protect as long or hard because they know what Wilson can do. Just the same, I'm hopeful we can put some pretty extreme pressure on Garrofalo.

The thing that worries me is if we don't go with max pressure. Our DBs just don't seem to be able to cover adequately. King gets beat almost every time, and Alexander for whatever reason hasn't been nearly as effective as last season. Having the Safetys deeper than average worked in the first half against Seattle, but it got exposed in the second half. Likely, the Niners saw the films and paid attention.

pbmax
01-14-2020, 04:28 PM
Are you sure SF's O Line is significantly better? Seattle's over the course of the season wasn't that bad either, and our pass rushers did all right. It's possible Seattle is conditioned to not pass protect as long or hard because they know what Wilson can do. Just the same, I'm hopeful we can put some pretty extreme pressure on Garrofalo.

The thing that worries me is if we don't go with max pressure. Our DBs just don't seem to be able to cover adequately. King gets beat almost every time, and Alexander for whatever reason hasn't been nearly as effective as last season. Having the Safetys deeper than average worked in the first half against Seattle, but it got exposed in the second half. Likely, the Niners saw the films and paid attention.

By saying safeties were deeper than average in the FIRST half, are you referring to the one graphic they showed in the broadcast of a 2 deep shell?

Because they did not play 2-deep exclusively in the first half.

smuggler
01-14-2020, 06:32 PM
Alexander seems much better in zone, and King better in man coverage. Although both of them seem inconsistent this year.

texaspackerbacker
01-14-2020, 08:28 PM
By saying safeties were deeper than average in the FIRST half, are you referring to the one graphic they showed in the broadcast of a 2 deep shell?

Because they did not play 2-deep exclusively in the first half.

Yes, I was. So you're saying the problem in the second half was not so much Seattle adjusting as it was the Packers going to too much of a prevent defense? I'll give you a maybe on that hahahaha. I like that two deep shell if it is combined with a heavy pass rush. It should work even better against a team not having a magician like Wilson at QB. Our Corners need that Safety help to prevent them from getting beat for long gains way too many times.

pbmax
01-14-2020, 08:45 PM
Yes, I was. So you're saying the problem in the second half was not so much Seattle adjusting as it was the Packers going to too much of a prevent defense? I'll give you a maybe on that hahahaha. I like that two deep shell if it is combined with a heavy pass rush. It should work even better against a team not having a magician like Wilson at QB. Our Corners need that Safety help to prevent them from getting beat for long gains way too many times.

Yeah, that is what I am not sure about. Packers definitely moved to more zone I thought, but I have not seen it elsewhere. They played some man on the outside.

Seahawks ran 7 times (not counting Wilson) on 25 plays in the first half. Though 6 of those were Lynch.

They had 60 plays total, so 35 in second half with 10 non Wilson runs. So their play calling did not change much in run/pass mix.

Its possible the Chickens were not ready for a steady diet of zone and at half time found a way to make them pay.

scharpcheddar
01-14-2020, 11:18 PM
Lol they interrupted the Packers replay with the Kuechly retirement. Wow, like a president got shot.

mraynrand
01-15-2020, 07:30 AM
Lol they interrupted the Packers replay with the Kuechly retirement. Wow, like a president got shot.

I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

pbmax
01-15-2020, 07:39 AM
I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

I think you mean:

I was the second [tackler] on the [defensless receiver].

mraynrand
01-15-2020, 08:06 AM
I think you mean:

I was the second [tackler] on the [defensless receiver].

good one

Zool
01-15-2020, 08:56 AM
Was it Buckwheat?

mraynrand
01-15-2020, 09:19 AM
Was it Buckwheat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDc02GNQaYE

Zool
01-15-2020, 10:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaDToc8CsOE

Zool
01-15-2020, 10:44 AM
I can't find the video, but my favorite part of that whole thing was Alfalfa's reaction video.

Fritz
01-15-2020, 10:47 AM
This is why I read Packerrats. This level of insight cannot be found elsewhere.

pbmax
01-15-2020, 02:00 PM
I can't find the video, but my favorite part of that whole thing was Alfalfa's reaction video.

I loved John David Stutts neighbors, all calling him a kind, quiet man who mostly stayed to himself.

"So do you think he killed Buckwheat?"

"Oh yes. He talked about it all the time"

Zool
01-15-2020, 05:22 PM
I loved John David Stutts neighbors, all calling him a kind, quiet man who mostly stayed to himself.

"So do you think he killed Buckwheat?"

"Oh yes. He talked about it all the time"

Listen close when he gets shot. Super funny

pbmax
01-15-2020, 07:30 PM
Listen close when he gets shot. Super funny

Ow. I'm shot.