PDA

View Full Version : 10-21-1

Patler
01-14-2020, 10:01 AM
10-21-1; the combined record in 2018 of this season's participants in the NFCCG, the #1 and #2 seeds, that are 26-6 this season..

Turn around can happen quickly in the NFL.

pbmax
01-14-2020, 10:04 AM
10-21-1; the combined record in 2018 of this season's participants in the NFCCG, the #1 and #2 seeds, that are 26-6 this season..

And you don't need to tank.

bobblehead
01-14-2020, 10:04 AM
Well...they tanked and I think Jimmy G was hurt last year. We signed 4 FA, revamped the defense and upgraded the coach a ton.

MadScientist
01-14-2020, 11:48 AM
And you don't need to tank.

Part of that is timing and what usable talent you have. The Packers were able to move on from old, bad contracts and nail it with Smith and Smith in FA. They still had AAA (Aaron, Aaron and Adams) on offense to build around.

mraynrand
01-14-2020, 12:22 PM
Well...they tanked and I think Jimmy G was hurt last year. We signed 4 FA, revamped the defense and upgraded the coach a ton.

Absolutely. They did double tanking to get rid of Stubby and stock up for draft and FA in 2019. Probably the most spectacular turnaround by a GM in a long time. Best exec year for the Packers since 2000.

Joemailman
01-14-2020, 12:42 PM

Of course it helps to hire the right coach, and have a quarterback.

Matt LaFleur: 14-3

Other 7 1st year head coaches: 39-72-1.

Of the 7, Kingsbury might have the best chance of a big improvement because he has Kyler Murray.

mraynrand
01-14-2020, 01:04 PM

especially a QB who will tank a season to get rid of his coach and improve draft positioning!

run pMc
01-14-2020, 01:19 PM

True -- drafting Nick Bosa and signing Dee Ford didn't hurt their defense.
As for GB, replacing Clay/Perry with the Smiths helped as much as getting two competent safeties and shoring up the IOL. They still have some areas that need talent (WR, ILB) but having a good QB is what gives a coach a fighting chance in the league.

pbmax
01-14-2020, 01:21 PM
Absolutely. They did double tanking to get rid of Stubby and stock up for draft and FA in 2019. Probably the most spectacular turnaround by a GM in a long time. Best exec year for the Packers since 2000.

Except for firing the coach, that’s not really what tanking normally looks like. They let contracts expire.

Where was the fire sale? GBgary and others considered trading Rodgers.

Classic reload. I’d perhaps agree to greasing the skids, but even that implies they road out vet contracts rather than dump assets.

49ers may have tanked.

mraynrand
01-14-2020, 01:24 PM
Except for firing the coach, that’s not really what tanking normally looks like. They let contracts expire.

Where was the fire sale? GBgary and others considered trading Rodgers.

Classic reload.

49ers may have tanked.

They weren't playing to win in 2018. Guys were still playing for jobs and respect, so they still won games. The org certainly wasn't all in. Of course they weren't gunning for a top 5 pick. That would have been totally obvious. But they hung Stubby out to dry. The cynic in me thinks Rodgers kinda did the same, maybe by just not really giving an F.

texaspackerbacker
01-14-2020, 02:44 PM

Matt LaFleur: 14-3

Other 7 1st year head coaches: 39-72-1.

Of the 7, Kingsbury might have the best chance of a big improvement because he has Kyler Murray.

I'm not completely sold on LaFleur being the primary cause of Packer success this season.

I'll stop expressing lack of confidence in him and his way just about the time the Aaron Rodgers detractors get over their silly shit about him.

pbmax
01-14-2020, 04:34 PM
They weren't playing to win in 2018. Guys were still playing for jobs and respect, so they still won games. The org certainly wasn't all in. Of course they weren't gunning for a top 5 pick. That would have been totally obvious. But they hung Stubby out to dry. The cynic in me thinks Rodgers kinda did the same, maybe by just not really giving an F.

I get it. I just don't think that was a tank job, at least according to my personal interpretation.

I was thinking today about Gutey's mindset in for 2918. Might have to go through that offseason again. With Matthews and Perry coming off the books, he probably wanted to keep some cash dry for the following offseason. He did sign Graham.

He drafted WR help and then ignored it this year, so I think that was McCarthy-independent failure.

I also need to look up when he got hired. Wonder if his 2018 year started late given time for Murphy's GM decisions?

McCarthy did seem setup that year, but I wonder if what he really needed was a 2 year extension from Ted?