PDA

View Full Version : Injuries this season

red
01-17-2020, 04:32 PM
One of the big reasons for our huge turnaround this year has to be the fact that we have been very injury free this year

Have we had any starters miss any time?

Bulaga missed a game

Adams missed a couple

Burkes was suppose to be a starter to start the year, but he doesn’t count cause he sucks

This might be the least amount of injuries we’ve had in a very long time

Different practices with new coach?

run pMc
01-17-2020, 05:09 PM
shorter practices, less hitting I think. Also changed the routine some other ways, I know the JSO has covered it a couple of times.

A healthy team is basically unheard of this deep into a season, where winning is often fighting the war of attrition and hoping you don't have to trot out the LaDarius Gunters of the world as your CB1 to cover Julio Jones.

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2020, 07:15 PM
Yes, injuries have been in short supply for once. Adams missed 4 games. Savage missed the better part of 3 games, and I think losing Raven Greene for most of the year was a bit underrated--considering how good he looked early. Sternberger missed most of the year. He played a lot of snaps in the last game, so he may have been pretty involved this year if he had been healthy.

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2020, 08:59 PM
I said long ago - without much agreement from other posters, LUCK is a major factor in success or failure in the NFL/in sports in general, and injuries are the most significant manifestation either positively or negatively in LUCK.

Cheesehead Craig
01-17-2020, 09:01 PM
I said long ago - without much agreement from other posters, LUCK is a major factor in success or failure in the NFL/in sports in general, and injuries are the most significant manifestation either positively or negatively in LUCK.

Or the NFL rigging injuries.

Fosco33
01-17-2020, 09:37 PM
Or the NFL rigging injuries.

Totally, it’s all predetermined. Injuries are fake news. Those compound fractures are just Hollywood stuff. And when you see a replay of a guy twisting his knee/ankle or getting a clear concussion - it’s all made up.

George Cumby
01-17-2020, 09:40 PM

George Cumby
01-17-2020, 09:42 PM
Seriously: they have a new strength and conditioning coach. The kid who ran the flag out the first game after 9/11, iirc.

He might have a philosophy more recent than Ahnold and Ferrigno’s massbuilding program in “Pumping Iron”.

Vincenzo
01-17-2020, 10:08 PM
Ya, we’ve become so accustomed to being riddled with injuries all season long. The absence of injuries this season has been truly unbelievable.

RashanGary
01-17-2020, 10:11 PM
Really glad the defense stayed healthy and had those two late bye weeks. Playing together all year helped them to see what was wrong and not be in so much chaos with moving parts that they couldn't fix it.

Those bye weeks were perfect reset times to really allow for growth. And that easy stretch of NFCE opponents after the bye allowed them to put the communication in place against younger QBs. Then another bye so they could take the next step.

Just a really lucky season! Everything is falling in place

Joemailman
01-17-2020, 10:20 PM
I would add that ESB, who might have quickly become the #2 WR, missed the entire season.

red
01-17-2020, 11:03 PM
I would add that ESB, you might have quickly become the #2 WR, missed the entire season.

i completely forgot about him

he might be our one major injury with maybe raven green

RashanGary
01-17-2020, 11:05 PM
Adams, Lizard, ESB, MVS and a speedster first round draft pick gonna make for a nice receiver group next year

pbmax
01-18-2020, 08:57 AM

I agree with this. Big factor.

You can explain a lot of unexpected developments with luck (or events that don't tend to repeat at the same rate) and matchups as your guide.

pbmax
01-18-2020, 09:00 AM
Seriously: they have a new strength and conditioning coach. The kid who ran the flag out the first game after 9/11, iirc.

He might have a philosophy more recent than Ahnold and Ferrigno’s massbuilding program in “Pumping Iron”.

They head trainer was offered, but he wanted to step back, so his assistant got promoted ahead of him.

I have no idea how they convinced him that their track record was indicative of future positive results. Maybe Ball, who is overseeing the medical side, made the decision?

ThunderDan
01-18-2020, 09:54 AM
Adams, Lizard, ESB, MVS and a speedster first round draft pick gonna make for a nice receiver group next year

If I was playing catch in the backyard with my sons flag football team and MVS was playing, I would target the kids over MVS.

Unless he has a total mental turn around in 2020, he isn’t on the team.

pbmax
01-18-2020, 10:57 AM
The most mystifying player is Allison, though I am not sure about injuries with him. I think he has fumbled before, but he also was effective both short and deep. He has caught some bombs against the 3rd CBs.

But this year he just disappeared into the turf. Almost like a slow motion of Boykin when he looked like the #3 for a time.

esoxx
01-18-2020, 11:25 AM
So, J.K. Scott now listed as questionable due to illness.

That's just fucking great.

bobblehead
01-18-2020, 11:28 AM
shorter practices, less hitting I think. Also changed the routine some other ways, I know the JSO has covered it a couple of times.

A healthy team is basically unheard of this deep into a season, where winning is often fighting the war of attrition and hoping you don't have to trot out the LaDarius Gunters of the world as your CB1 to cover Julio Jones.

This is incorrect. Shorter practices yes, but from every word out of camp much more physical. I said it then and I stand by it. You learn to play hard without getting injured by practicing in a physical nature. Watch the cowgirls "bad luck" next season. Oh, coincidence that two coaches who worked together and learned together have to very healthy teams at this point? I don't really believe in coincidences.

Vincenzo
01-18-2020, 11:44 AM
This is incorrect. Shorter practices yes, but from every word out of camp much more physical. I said it then and I stand by it. You learn to play hard without getting injured by practicing in a physical nature. Watch the cowgirls "bad luck" next season. Oh, coincidence that two coaches who worked together and learned together have to very healthy teams at this point? I don't really believe in coincidences.
That’s an interesting theory! “You learn to play hard without getting injured by practicing in a physical nature.” I gotta buy that one.

Gotarace
01-18-2020, 12:52 PM

He has plenty of time between punts to change his Skid Mark Underwear...

Fritz
01-18-2020, 01:47 PM
He has plenty of time between punts to change his Skid Mark Underwear...

He'll have a great game - too sick to be nervous. He'll punt the shit out of the ball. Might even enjoy the feel of the warm skids pressed against his buttocks during the leg extension at the end of the punt.

Joemailman
01-18-2020, 04:51 PM

Packers probably won't have to punt. Who is the backup holder?

Fritz
01-18-2020, 06:01 PM
Does it count as an injury if a player's feelings are hurt?

pbmax
01-18-2020, 06:48 PM
Packers probably won't have to punt. Who is the backup holder?

Gotta be Laser Show.

esoxx
01-18-2020, 08:08 PM
I suspect Boyle is the back up holder.

Honestly, not cool with the fucking flu now hitting the punter the day before the game. I mean, Bulaga who is as tough as they come could not make it on to the field even though the stakes were high last week. A punter is a creature of routine and not a tough guy. It's very concerning and is being overlooked.

First, is he even going to be able to play? Second, if so, how effective will he be? Field position is critical. Third, if he can't go, what do they do have Mason Crosby punt? It's all funny until it's 4th and eight late in the first quarter from the 18 yard line and time to punt. Then you all will be shitting your pants, to borrow a pun associated with the flu.

Plans could be ruined in a hurry.

red
01-18-2020, 08:32 PM

i think i agree with this

practicing tougher makes you tougher imo

but i have no clue if its that or just plain luck this year

and i could be completely wrong on the first thing

RashanGary
01-18-2020, 08:49 PM
He's literally going to have to kick the ball 6 times. Six. That's it.

I've unloaded 56' trucks with the flu. If he can't put the ball, fuck him, he's useless

pbmax
01-18-2020, 09:13 PM

I've unloaded 56' trucks with the flu. If he can't put the ball, fuck him, he's useless

I nominate you to give this news to Bulaga :D

esoxx
01-18-2020, 10:07 PM

If they Packers have to punt six times in the game they will lose, regardless of the punter's health.

call_me_ishmael
01-18-2020, 10:20 PM
I suspect Boyle is the back up holder.

Honestly, not cool with the fucking flu now hitting the punter the day before the game. I mean, Bulaga who is as tough as they come could not make it on to the field even though the stakes were high last week. A punter is a creature of routine and not a tough guy. It's very concerning and is being overlooked.

First, is he even going to be able to play? Second, if so, how effective will he be? Field position is critical. Third, if he can't go, what do they do have Mason Crosby punt? It's all funny until it's 4th and eight late in the first quarter from the 18 yard line and time to punt. Then you all will be shitting your pants, to borrow a pun associated with the flu.

Plans could be ruined in a hurry.

If he's not going to play, they'll sign a punter in the morning and fly them in. No doubt about it. You'll know early in the day.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-18-2020, 11:53 PM

Shit like this is why you keep 2 punters on the roster.

Sherman never missed the playoffs as GM.

Patler
01-19-2020, 12:01 AM
If he's not going to play, they'll sign a punter in the morning and fly them in. No doubt about it. You'll know early in the day.

They will also have to release someone, or put someone on IR, to make room on their roster to sign a punter. I think they are at a full roster now with activating Greene. I wonder if Greene's roster exception/practice time was up, necessitating a decision now; or if they could have kept the roster spot open.

mraynrand
01-19-2020, 12:12 AM

BRING BLACK RAY STACHOWICZ!!

Patler
01-19-2020, 12:21 AM
So, who would they sign if they need a punter? Justin Vogel, maybe? At least he has experience with Crosby, although he wasn't particularly good as a holder, as I recall.

pbmax
01-19-2020, 09:24 AM

:D

esoxx
01-19-2020, 09:47 AM

esoxx
01-19-2020, 09:48 AM
Any updates on J.K. Scott? Has he shit his pants recently?

pbmax
01-19-2020, 09:50 AM
Any updates on J.K. Scott? Has he shit his pants recently?

esoxx
01-19-2020, 09:55 AM

Hmm, this could mean he shit his pants two minutes ago or two hours ago. Or that he has shit his pants twice.

I need a master numerologist to sort this out. Where's sharpcheddar?

George Cumby
01-19-2020, 09:58 AM
Hmm, this could mean he shit his pants two minutes ago or two hours ago. Or that he has shit his pants twice.

I think he's consulting his numbers.

bobblehead
01-19-2020, 10:31 AM
i think i agree with this

practicing tougher makes you tougher imo

but i have no clue if its that or just plain luck this year

and i could be completely wrong on the first thing

It could be luck, but I've been singing this tune for a long time regarding fat mike. Every since he wouldn't practice outdoors in the cold because "we don't have productive practices in that weather" I have thought he was a dolt who didn't understand that you play like you practice. And as a former player of almost Tank like status I know for fact that when I had coaches that didn't let us hit in practice I nearly always got my bell rung withing 5 plays of the first live action. MM didn't want anyone hurt in practice going 80% and he ended up with guys hurt in games going 100%.

That last second turn of the torso, that last second removing weight from the ankle, that minor adjustment of your heads angle is the difference between injury and nothing. You don't develop it by running around in shorts not hitting anyone.

bobblehead
01-19-2020, 10:34 AM
I nominate you to give this news to Bulaga :D

Bulaga had to try and stop a 300 pound mammoth who was asserting his will play after play. When you are fatigued with the flu thats impossible. Kicking a ball 6 times (hopefully like twice) is a very different ask. In a weakened fatigued state Bulaga would not have been effective at all. In the same condition Scott should be adequate if not 100%.

bobblehead
01-19-2020, 10:35 AM

On Queue...and hilarious self deprecating humor...if you intended it as self deprecating.

texaspackerbacker
01-19-2020, 11:18 AM
24 is the relevant number. You guys never heard of the 24 hour flu? It's way over that when the report came out. He'll be fine - or at least as good as he ever is.

mraynrand
01-19-2020, 11:21 AM
24 is the relevant number. You guys never heard of the 24 hour flu? It's way over that when the report came out. He'll be fine - or at least as good as he ever is.

12x2=24. Meaning Rodgers will play twice as well today.

Zool
01-19-2020, 11:22 AM

Or he’ll average 24 yards per kick. Or 24 oz of squirts by the end of the game? By volume of course.

Patler
01-19-2020, 12:16 PM
Wow, a thread about injuries and games missed due to them, and no mention of the starter who has missed 15, going on 16 games.

No love for Lane Taylor!

RashanGary
01-19-2020, 12:18 PM

You're over thinking this, you moronic simpleton. 2 as in number 2. Scott has to go number 2, a lot. Wash your hands and your butt. Keep it simple

Fosco33
01-19-2020, 12:20 PM
Let’s just not have to punt today. Problem solved. Just find a backup holder.

pbmax
01-19-2020, 02:55 PM
Let’s just not have to punt today. Problem solved. Just find a backup holder.

^ This!