PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: NFC Championship Playoff @ San Fran 2020

pbmax
01-19-2020, 08:50 PM
Well, got their asses handed to them again.

Slow start on offense except for opening drive where they decided not to go for it on 4th and 1 on their own 49.

Nothing else worth noting until 49ers backed off. They played close to LOS to start and Packers couldn't make them pay until later.

Defense fought but had enough trouble handling runs in the middle. They were totally outgunned trying to fit option runs off tackle. BOTH gaps were open, inside and out. Optioned guys, especially Za'Darius, did not know what to do.

I'd comment on the pass rush but 49ers didn't need to pass.

Special Teams were below mediocre with one decent return and one near turnover on a kickoff.

Rodgers first pic was an awful throw on a route that he and the receiver did not agree on.

Best indicator of play was 3rd and short on opening drive when Graham, instead of blocking the ILB, released to the middle and was open. But Rodgers was already throwing to Williams in the flat and the ILB tackled him short of first down. Disagreement on route, missed first down, punt and ballgame.

Sums up a weird, unsettling season where somehow they went 13-3.

pbmax
01-19-2020, 08:51 PM
Packers tried traps and screens, but couldn't make yardage in bunches to sustain drives until too late.

Joemailman
01-19-2020, 08:59 PM
0-50 in the 1st half of 2 games vs. 49ers. They play them there next year. How do they convince themselves they can win?

ThunderDan
01-19-2020, 09:00 PM
Tough game all around. We were a 6-9-1 team last year. Improved the talent a lot during the offseason but still have a long way to go.

First half every thing that could go wrong did. Second half was closer but the 49ers played off on D and made it easier for the Packer O.

MadtownPacker
01-19-2020, 09:01 PM
Just forfeit the game and get an extra bye week.

call_me_ishmael
01-19-2020, 09:02 PM
Yep for sure. The Packers did great and overachieved this year. The Niners are the truth and are going to be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. I’ll have more thoughts once I’m on a computer.

Gotarace
01-19-2020, 09:14 PM
Just forfeit the game and get an extra bye week.
Lol Gotta Rest old deer in the headlights more as he ages

HowardRoark
01-19-2020, 09:15 PM
0-50 in the 1st half of 2 games vs. 49ers. They play them there next year. How do they convince themselves they can win?

Aaron should go reconcile with his family.

pbmax
01-19-2020, 09:23 PM

Is it a California thing, a road trip thing or just a fluke versus San Diego and a better team at Not Candlestick?

Bossman641
01-19-2020, 09:24 PM

pbmax
01-19-2020, 09:24 PM
Aaron should go reconcile with his family.

I was thinking La Fleur is carrying a tiki idol around.

pbmax
01-19-2020, 09:25 PM

287!

ThunderDan
01-19-2020, 09:26 PM
287!

287!

Joemailman
01-19-2020, 09:26 PM
LaFleur will have to look at whether Pettine's current scheme will work against the 49ers. Because for the time being, to get to the Superb Owl you'll likely have to be able to beat the 49ers.

ThunderDan
01-19-2020, 09:27 PM
Packers need another good draft and FA period.

pbmax
01-19-2020, 09:28 PM
We have the 2020 draft started.

Someone start the 2020 FA thread.

call_me_ishmael
01-19-2020, 09:29 PM
I actually think Tex nailed the off-season priorities. They need another Kenny Clark type of lineman. I think DL or OL has gotta be the first draft pick. You need to add another premium athlete on the DL and then continue building the trenches.

George Cumby
01-19-2020, 09:33 PM
SF just is more talented on both sides of the ball.

They were playing at a speed the Packers couldn’t match.

ThunderDan
01-19-2020, 09:33 PM
Overthecap.com says we have $44,000,000 in cap room if we cut Graham and Taylor this offseason.

Current players with expired contracts:
Bulaga, Crosby, Tramon, Martinez and Fackrell
Then a lot of guys like Tonyan, Lazard, Goodson, Vitale, ......

Harlan Huckleby
01-19-2020, 09:45 PM

Ahhh, the salary cap will fix this.

Harlan Huckleby
01-19-2020, 09:48 PM
Packers won a playoff game and proved their regular season record wasn't full of shit. That's something.

BTW, I haven't watched the second half or checked the game thread. Was it ever resolved whether Rodgers places his hands under Lindsey's balls or asshole? Red and I got pretty heated over that homoerotic detail, sorry if it made anyone uncomfortable.

Smidgeon
01-19-2020, 10:09 PM
A couple of thoughts:

First, I mentioned this in the game thread, but Rashan Gary better be good. SF has had a lot of high draft picks lately; you can tell. The Packers always seem to outwin their talent. This year they certainly did, and we're picking low again. Having Gary--one of the few high pick opportunities in the last 25 years--turn into a good/great player would help significantly. His play time this year and learning from Smith Co. should help. But it has to pay off. Not enough talent right now for their record.

Second, the D-line needs another good player there. No idea where he comes from, but the run D has been an issue for a while. Clark can't do it all. The LBs also need someone else. Goodson had his moments and Martinez has been good this year, but a rangy guy who tackles reliably in the backfield would be nice.

Lastly, there is some promise in the rookie class. Savage should take a step next year (hopefully in the turnover-production area), Jenkins is a 10 year starter, and Sternberger could turn into something great...maybe even starting next year. Keke, Hollman, Dexter W., and Summers have all shown moments (preseason or early in the season) where they've shown they have a chance of belonging. And I already mentioned Gary, the longshot with the tools who if he puts it together could be the "best pass rusher in the league" according to the ironclad belief of his position coach.

In summary, we overperformed this year which made for an entertaining season to be a fan and there's significant promise in the rookie class for the long haul, but adding talent through the draft took a hit with this run. Hopefully Gute does it again this year.

Go Chiefs!

pbmax
01-19-2020, 10:15 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
CB Jaire Alexander left the #Packers locker room with a cast on his right thumb. He said on his way to the team bus that it is in fact broken.

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
Rodgers says “leadership” of Brian Gutekunst and Matt LaFleur gives him confidence in direction going forward. He says Gutekunst went “all in” on roster. He also adds this: “The scheme is there.” He thought a LaFleur brought good plan each week, offense needs better execution.

Bill Huber @BillHuberSI
Rodgers says he senses the window is open and has confidence in LaFleur and Gutekunst to take next step. “Will be on right side real soon”

Zach Heilprin @ZachHeilprin
Rodgers asked if they need another offseason like last year where they added pieces:

“No one would mind.”

pbmax
01-19-2020, 10:18 PM
Elisha Twerski @ElishaTwerski
The Packers were in a position to potentially get Wade Phillips in 2017 by dumping Dom Capers. They're in that same position this year.

Nothing against Mike Pettine, but Phillips is one of the best in the business.

But very much like Capers, Phillips defenses tend to get worse.

pbmax
01-19-2020, 10:19 PM
14-3 @PackersFans_
Rodgers 8 playoff losses:

1) D gave up 45 points
2) D gave up 37 points
3) D gave up 45 points
4) Led game-tying drive, never got ball again
5) Led game-tying drive, never got ball again
6) Led game-tying drive, never got ball again
7) D gave up 44 points
8) D gave up 37 points

Cheesehead Craig
01-19-2020, 10:24 PM
I just can't get behind the the logic that not going for it on 4th and 1 just shy of midfield on the opening drive was such a bad decision.

RashanGary
01-19-2020, 10:44 PM
Ahhh, the salary cap will fix this.

Yep

RashanGary
01-19-2020, 11:01 PM
Top needs:

ILB
DL (wish we had drafted Simmons last year)
WR (Lazard should be a guy for us but we NEED a true speed guy who doesn't run into coverage)
OT (bulaga would be fine as a resign, the way Lafleur rests him, I think he could play another 3 years) but still need to develop somebody better than light to eventually take over)

woodbuck27
01-19-2020, 11:06 PM
Packers need another good draft and FA period.

Yup.

woodbuck27
01-19-2020, 11:12 PM
The team looked terrible today.

Aaron Rodgers needs a real deep threat to go with Davante Adam's.

The team needs another solid Cornerback.

woodbuck27
01-19-2020, 11:13 PM
14-3 @PackersFans_

1) D gave up 45 points
2) D gave up 37 points
3) D gave up 45 points
7) D gave up 44 points
8) D gave up 37 points

That bad Eh.

woodbuck27
01-19-2020, 11:15 PM
Short passes or attempts to Davante Adam's ughh.

George Cumby
01-19-2020, 11:58 PM
14-3 @PackersFans_

1) D gave up 45 points
2) D gave up 37 points
3) D gave up 45 points
7) D gave up 44 points
8) D gave up 37 points

Compare to the defenses Brady’s had.

Fosco33
01-20-2020, 05:26 AM
Typically post game press conferences are mostly fluff. Except after the season.

Anyone watch? I may on replay.

Fosco33
01-20-2020, 05:28 AM
14-3 @PackersFans_

1) D gave up 45 points
2) D gave up 37 points
3) D gave up 45 points
7) D gave up 44 points
8) D gave up 37 points

Yup. But teams are all connected. Bad punt - points. Interception - points. 3 and out - lose ToP.

Joemailman
01-20-2020, 05:47 AM
Typically post game press conferences are mostly fluff. Except after the season.

Anyone watch? I may on replay.

I watched. MLF seemed surprised and upset by the terrible run defense. Didn't point fingers but said he would have to watch the film. Also mentioned the turnovers.

I usually watch Pettine's mid-week PC. That will be interesting.

Bossman641
01-20-2020, 06:24 AM
Did MVS even play last night? Talk about a guy who disappeared.

pbmax
01-20-2020, 08:14 AM
Short passes only work if you can do something with them.

Graham did a bit of this (not his two long catches, those are always welcome). Luxury Automobile did not. Passes to the backs weren't particularly effective though they had one screen go for distance.

They need playmakers. I think everyone prattling on about the lack of depth on the team is on the wrong foot. They need juice. On both sides of the ball.

pbmax
01-20-2020, 08:17 AM
I watched. MLF seemed surprised and upset by the terrible run defense. Didn't point fingers but said he would have to watch the film. Also mentioned the turnovers.

I usually watch Pettine's mid-week PC. That will be interesting.

He ain't gonna like it. They completely neutralized the run heavy front of Lowry, Clark and Lancaster (two double teams, ran away from the third guy most of the time and optioned the EDGE. Preston got blocked too often but was there setting an edge. Dr. Smith sometimes did not need to b blocked.

Completely outclassed in this area. Basically they abused the tightness of the run D personnel and setup to open up off tackle.

Runs in the middle gained too much too often, but those monster plays outside were not on the DL.

bobblehead
01-20-2020, 08:54 AM
14-3 @PackersFans_

1) D gave up 45 points
2) D gave up 37 points
3) D gave up 45 points
7) D gave up 44 points
8) D gave up 37 points

The D sucked ass yesterday for sure, but Rodgers turned the ball over twice early negating any chances we had at helping them.

bobblehead
01-20-2020, 08:57 AM
Yup. But teams are all connected. Bad punt - points. Interception - points. 3 and out - lose ToP.

Exactly. No one thing tells the entire story. Balanced teams win championships. How about a Hunter Henry in FA this offseason to replace Graham. The money is a one for one swap.

mraynrand
01-20-2020, 09:19 AM
Exactly. No one thing tells the entire story. Balanced teams win championships. How about a Hunter Henry in FA this offseason to replace Graham. The money is a one for one swap.

They spent a draft pick on a TE who can certainly block, and may be a decent pass catcher. Spend the money elsewhere.

Joemailman
01-20-2020, 09:26 AM
Did MVS even play last night? Talk about a guy who disappeared.

He had 1 offensive snap. In the regular season he was targeted 56 times, but only 15 in the 2nd half of the season. Rodgers completed <50% of his passes when targeting MVS. Maybe the team's biggest disappointment.

Patler
01-20-2020, 09:57 AM
Z. Smith is an outstanding pass rusher, but last night they could have used Nick Perry! :-)

pbmax
01-20-2020, 10:45 AM
The D sucked ass yesterday for sure, but Rodgers turned the ball over twice early negating any chances we had at helping them.

True. But that hasn't been the case each time.

And the offense came back after half-time. D never came back.

pbmax
01-20-2020, 10:47 AM
This is not the play they ran, but this is how they win with numbers. By optioning a LOS guy. Was Za'Darius yesterday.

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1189192536037974016

Fosco33
01-20-2020, 10:50 AM
Did rashan Gary play?

Joemailman
01-20-2020, 11:46 AM
Did rashan Gary play?

3 snaps.

bobblehead
01-20-2020, 12:00 PM
They spent a draft pick on a TE who can certainly block, and may be a decent pass catcher. Spend the money elsewhere.

This offense needs multiple versatile TEs to be effective. You lose Graham (or remove) and you need someone there. If Tonyan and Sternberger take the next step, but you add a top flight TE then suddenly everything else looks a little better.

bobblehead
01-20-2020, 12:13 PM
True. But that hasn't been the case each time.

And the offense came back after half-time. D never came back.

The offense came back after the 49ers played prevent the big play. By the time they "came back" the game was over. The telling tale of the game was down 17-0 and we commence running it down THEIR throat. The story went like this.
9ers, 3 and out.
Pack 5 and out.
9ers TD.
Pack 5 and out.
9ers 15 yards and long FG
Pack 3 and out - horrible punt
9ers 37 yards for TD
Pack down 17-0 Running it RIGHT DOWN THEIR THROAT (MM wouldn't have called a single run play here) -Rodgers fumbles in the red zone and doesn't even attempt to recover it. Wisconsin punteresque type play.
9ers FG
Pack we got the ball, lets make it 20-7 at the half......3 and Interception
9ers 30 yard TD
Pack we got the ball, lets get some points.....1 yard and punt.

Now tell me thats all on the defense. Game was effectively over already. Defense was gassed.

Freak Out
01-20-2020, 12:15 PM
Z. Smith is an outstanding pass rusher, but last night they could have used Nick Perry! :-)

Ha ha ha!

bobblehead
01-20-2020, 12:16 PM

I'm thinking Montez Sweat. He sets a great edge and we could have traded back and still got him.

texaspackerbacker
01-20-2020, 01:24 PM
I prescribe switching to a 4-3 Defense. The Smiths both play like super 4-3 DEs. However, they're both piss poor when it comes to doing what OLBs traditionally are supposed to do. We are basically playing a 5 man line with Clark plus two big fat nothings in the middle. Make it a legitimate 4 man line, get one more Kenny Clark type, find two guys who can play OLB the way OLB should be played. Martinez is doing the job of two people now; Make him the MLB in a 4-3, and he'd be a helluva lot better (provided somebody taught him gap discipline).

pbmax
01-20-2020, 02:05 PM
The offense came back after the 49ers played prevent the big play. By the time they "came back" the game was over. The telling tale of the game was down 17-0 and we commence running it down THEIR throat. The story went like this.
9ers, 3 and out.
Pack 5 and out.
9ers TD.
Pack 5 and out.
9ers 15 yards and long FG
Pack 3 and out - horrible punt
9ers 37 yards for TD
Pack down 17-0 Running it RIGHT DOWN THEIR THROAT (MM wouldn't have called a single run play here) -Rodgers fumbles in the red zone and doesn't even attempt to recover it. Wisconsin punteresque type play.
9ers FG
Pack we got the ball, lets make it 20-7 at the half......3 and Interception
9ers 30 yard TD
Pack we got the ball, lets get some points.....1 yard and punt.

Now tell me thats all on the defense. Game was effectively over already. Defense was gassed.

This is a 180 degree argument. Its always headed back where it started!

Any complaint about the D is the offenses fault!

The D disappeared yesterday. The offense showed up for half the game.

At half time: TOP Packers 14:48, 49ers 15:12

Bobble, if Pettine's defense can't play more than 15 minutes a game, I don't know what to tell you.

Actually, I do.

The Offense stunk.

The Defense should be fired into the sun.

Bossman641
01-20-2020, 02:25 PM
It was a total team loss.

Defense - I don't think anything needs to be said
Special teams - A shanked punt, Ervin muffed a kickoff return, and gave up a 26 yard punt return
Offense - Had only 1 good drive in first half and it ended on a fluke fumble. More then anything the O had to start fast and make Garropolo beat them, and they completely failed at that

Joemailman
01-20-2020, 08:40 PM
Wonder what was up with Gary Sunday. He played 5% of snaps while the Smiths both played over 90%. Gary played 15% of snaps against Seattle, which was pretty typical for him.

pbmax
01-20-2020, 09:36 PM
Paul Alexander
SHANAHAN JR run game is so much more than Dad’s. Mike’s game was almost exclusively zone runs. Yesterday, Kyle had a full mixture of zone, trap, power, G scheme, toss, bends ... the full menu of run concepts. Don’t just assume this coach is a wide zone coach. They do it all!

call_me_ishmael
01-20-2020, 10:34 PM
I read something that in 2018 the NFL as a whole used motion of 3% of snaps. This year it was up to 40%ish or something. They said Shanny motions on 70% of snaps!!

RashanGary
01-20-2020, 10:42 PM
Paul Alexander
SHANAHAN JR run game is so much more than Dad’s. Mike’s game was almost exclusively zone runs. Yesterday, Kyle had a full mixture of zone, trap, power, G scheme, toss, bends ... the full menu of run concepts. Don’t just assume this coach is a wide zone coach. They do it all!

That run game was something to see. Honestly, was disappointed to see our guys lose, but I'll never forget that performance by their blocking units. That right there is pure football bliss.

RashanGary
01-20-2020, 10:44 PM
Would love to see our OL stick together and work on that type of run blocking diversity next year!

run pMc
01-21-2020, 10:45 AM
This is not the play they ran, but this is how they win with numbers. By optioning a LOS guy. Was Za'Darius yesterday.

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1189192536037974016

Yeah, they did a lot of this winning with numbers stuff. Interesting how they leave a guy unblocked, but in many cases it was Blake or Goodson or Z.Smith, and asking those guys to have the COD and speed to catch Mostert one on one is asking a lot. Basically, Shanahan schemed mismatches.

The offense didn't help the defense out - that fumble was a real killer. Getting the score to 17-7 would have regained some momentum. All the same, credit to them -- their OL, RB, and scheme completely flummoxed the Pettine D (along with many others this year).

pbmax
01-21-2020, 01:18 PM
The offense didn't help the defense out - that fumble was a real killer. Getting the score to 17-7 would have regained some momentum. All the same, credit to them -- their OL, RB, and scheme completely flummoxed the Pettine D (along with many others this year).

I don't see 17-7 stopping the 49ers from running the ball down the D throats.

Offense did not help. But I don't think it could have. D was COMPLETELY unprepared in the first half.

Joemailman
01-30-2020, 08:33 PM
Z Smith talks aboit not being mentally ready for NFC Title game. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/30/zadarius-smith-packers-werent-ready-to-play-in-nfc-title-game-vs-49ers/

run pMc
01-30-2020, 09:15 PM
Z Smith talks aboit not being mentally ready for NFC Title game. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/30/zadarius-smith-packers-werent-ready-to-play-in-nfc-title-game-vs-49ers/

It's hard to understand how you can't be ready or motivated for payback against a team that whupped you last time, AND for the rematch to include a Superb Owl trip for the winner.
The SF game plan was smart and well executed, but GB seemed too stunned to punch back in the 1st half, and only when SF played soft in 2nd half did they made some inroads.

mraynrand
01-31-2020, 11:18 AM

Maybe "snubby's" thoughts were elsewhere.

George Cumby
01-31-2020, 12:30 PM

WTAF?!

pbmax
02-01-2020, 08:52 AM
I can't wait to debate the travel schedule for every away game next year.

This stuff is crazy. They went early to SD. Got their hindquarters kicked. Went normal schedule to San Fran for a 5:40 start, which would be a Lambeau night game start so they got plenty of lead time and got waxed again.