PDA

View Full Version : Robinson signed to two year deal

Pages : 1 [2]

MJZiggy
09-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Patler, Maybe they thought that was obvious.

MadtownPacker
09-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey Mad, do the world of criminals a favor and don't ever become a defense lawyer....

Your honor, my client may be an asshole but this other guy is even worse....

:wink:
Well, I kind of do that with you:

Rastak is a bad but no where near as bad as VT!! HAHAHA

OK Im gonna let up. This has been a good discussion and I respect Terry and all non-viking fans opinions! :mrgreen:

Terry
09-15-2006, 01:41 AM
How do we know "he's not homosexual"??? Since when is that illegal? I think you have answered many questions with that comment.

No, I haven't. Don't be silly. I picked that example because a brilliant teacher in my old HS had his life ruined by such a false accusation (the board found him innocent of the charges that he had molested someone) and he died not long after in the gutter. I also picked it because it's not illegal and so aptly illustrates how a life can be changed by the suggestions that can be planted in people's minds by questions based on hypotheticals.

Patler, I agree about the prosecutors being outmatched in the OJ case. They put up a very poor case. And they had a witness who very likely would have made all the difference to the jury (at least according to one jurmy member) who they wouldn't put on the stand.

However, the fact that OJ got off only makes me wonder how many people have gone down in spite of poor prosecution. The Sam Shepard case was a classic. Dorothy Kilgallen (sp?) wrote at the time that there was no way a jury should have convicted that man. She didn't know if he had bludgeoned his wife to death or not, but the prosecution put forth absolutely no case.

Being a firm believer in something Mark Twain said - that it's better to have 10 guilty men go free than one innocent man go to jail - I'm far more concerned with the travesties of justice that that poor prosecution team may have represented in terms of the innocent jailed than I am about someone going free.

the_idle_threat
09-15-2006, 01:49 AM
Steven Avery would agree with you on that. :razz: :razz: :razz:

swede
09-15-2006, 07:42 AM
something Mark Twain said - that it's better to have 10 guilty men go free than one innocent man go to jail

My friends in law enforcement who pick up the same scum over and over for different violent crimes only to have the local DA let them go again would say that Mark Twain is presently getting his wish.

Terry
09-15-2006, 11:19 AM
something Mark Twain said - that it's better to have 10 guilty men go free than one innocent man go to jail

My friends in law enforcement who pick up the same scum over and over for different violent crimes only to have the local DA let them go again would say that Mark Twain is presently getting his wish.

Well, I'm very sympathetic to law enforcement people. They have an incredibly difficult job - difficult and costly for many types of reasons - and a thankless one; they are confronted daily with the worst aspects of our society. I once read a brilliant article by a writer who had previously been quite critical of law enforcement, but then figured in fairness he should become a cop, which he did. In no time at all, faced with the scum of the earth day in and day out, he found himself wanting on occasion to push some suspects' heads through the nearest plate glass window. In the end, he developed much empathy for law enforcers and came to the conclusion not that he had been wrong so much in his previous writings, but that law enforcement was a nearly impossible job - that what it needed was supermen and that there just weren't very many supermen about and the reality was far more complex and the deeds of police officers far more understandable. Law enforcement people tend, quite understandably, even inevitably, to lose perspective.

I get the same way whenever I read about politics and world events.

Steven Avery would agree with you on that. :razz: :razz: :razz:

I had to look him up to get that. Very interesting and certainly unusual:

Steven Avery (born July 9, 1962) is the first person in the U.S. to be charged with a homicide after being exonerated by DNA evidence for a previous crime. The Wisconsin man was exonerated in 2003 after serving 18 years on a rape conviction in which DNA analysis later linked the crime to another man. On November 11, 2005 Avery was charged with the murder of 25-year old freelance photographer Teresa Halbach. His own blood was found in her SUV, which was found parked on his family's salvage yard located in a rural area west of Mishicot, Wisconsin, near Manitowoc and Green Bay.

The Wisconsin Innocence Project took Avery's case and eventually he was exonerated of the rape charge. After his release from prison, Avery was the toast of the Wisconsin State Capitol. Avery and his attorneys (Stephen Glynn and Walter Kelly) filed a $36 million federal lawsuit against Manitowoc County, its former sheriff, Thomas Kocourek, and its former district attorney, Denis Vogel. On October 31, 2005, the same day that Halbach went missing, state legislators passed the Avery Bill to prevent wrongful convictions. The bill has since been renamed out of respect for the Halbach family.

You know what it all makes me think of? In WWI, the British press accused the Germans of all sorts of things, like using human skin to make lampshades and turning human beings into soap, which was all entirely fabricated and false. And then look what happened in WWII!

It's all quite chilling to me, this sort of process in human beings.