PDA

View Full Version : Official Fire Mike Pettine Thread

Joemailman
01-22-2020, 10:21 AM
Sounds like MLF is undecided.

As I said in another thread, I've been in Pettine's corner. But that performance Sunday was shockingly bad. Should be an interesting week.

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2020, 10:55 AM
If the Packers can get Wade Philips, I say go for it.

George Cumby
01-22-2020, 11:20 AM
Agreed.

Joemailman
01-22-2020, 11:21 AM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/22/packers-still-determining-if-defensive-coordinator-mike-pettine-will-return-in-2020/

LaFleur was disappointed with the energy of the defense against the 49ers, especially with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line.

The Packers knew what was coming and still couldn’t stop it.

“We knew exactly what they were gonna try to do. For them to be able to do that was extremely disappointing,” LaFleur said.

LaFleur said he would soon sit down with team president Mark Murphy to discuss any potential changes to the coaching staff.

A huge decision coming up. He clearly doesn't think they were out-schemed. Does he blame Pettinefor what he sees as a lack of energy by the defense?

Joemailman
01-22-2020, 11:27 AM
More from LaFleur:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28538045/packers-coach-matt-lafleur-bothered-team-lack-fire-vs-49ers

"I just didn't feel like we played with the same urgency, the same tenacity, the same toughness. We didn't set the edge the same as we had been earlier this season. It's disappointing because it's not like we didn't know what they were going to try to do. We knew exactly what they were going to try to do. We knew they were going to run the football ... and for them to be able to do that was extremely disappointing, and I just didn't think we played with the same effort as what I had seen earlier in the season."

That brings into question the future of defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who was a holdover from former coach Mike McCarthy's staff. The Packers defense finished ninth in the NFL in fewest points allowed, a jump from 25th last year, but ranked 18th in yards allowed for the second straight year despite major free-agent additions including high-priced pass rushers Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith.

pbmax
01-22-2020, 11:34 AM
My fear is that to get better on D, they’ll need to fire most of the scouting department.

Unless it’s all FAs.

Smidgeon
01-22-2020, 11:45 AM
How much better is Wade? I'd be concerned his Ds would drop off over time as well. What happened in LA this year?

Any one from the Patriots staff we can poach? They always have a good D.

pbmax
01-22-2020, 11:48 AM
How much better is Wade? I'd be concerned his Ds would drop off over time as well. What happened in LA this year?

Any one from the Patriots staff we can poach? They always have a good D.

LA had pass rushers but was bailing wire and twine in the backend.

He is very much like Capers. It’s a solid scheme but without dominant players, you can scheme him.

I’d consider it an upgrade but for like 2 years.

pbmax
01-22-2020, 11:49 AM
Why the hell was everyone on the ground? In this case, Fackrell.

There were so many front 7 players on the turf, I’d buy a team scheduling problem like we thought versus San Diego.

https://twitter.com/fourverts/status/1220029894396084225?s=21

call_me_ishmael
01-22-2020, 11:58 AM
My fear is that to get better on D, they’ll need to fire most of the scouting department.

Unless it’s all FAs.

I wouldn't mind seeing them try to land some of the Ravens scouts with promotions and more money. They alway sseem to have a nice balance. Of course, their Ozzie Newsome strategy was to just draft players from Bama lol. I wouldn't object certainly but I'd also extend it to LSU and the other SEC schools.

I would be shocked with Pettine is back after a scathing quote like this.

“I think it was a combination of a lot of things. I think you have to give San Francisco credit. They definitely outcoached us. I just didn’t feel like we played with the same urgency, the same tenacity, the same toughness. We didn’t set the edge the same as we had been earlier this season. It’s disappointing because it’s not like we didn’t know what they were gonna try to do. We knew exactly what they were gonna try to do. We knew they were gonna run the football and for them to be able to do that was extremely disappointing, and I just didn’t think we played with the same effort as what I had seen earlier in the season.”

Joemailman
01-22-2020, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing them try to land some of the Ravens scouts with promotions and more money. They alway sseem to have a nice balance. Of course, their Ozzie Newsome strategy was to just draft players from Bama lol. I wouldn't object certainly but I'd also extend it to LSU and the other SEC schools.

I would be shocked with Pettine is back after a scathing quote like this.

“I think it was a combination of a lot of things. I think you have to give San Francisco credit. They definitely outcoached us. I just didn’t feel like we played with the same urgency, the same tenacity, the same toughness. We didn’t set the edge the same as we had been earlier this season. It’s disappointing because it’s not like we didn’t know what they were gonna try to do. We knew exactly what they were gonna try to do. We knew they were gonna run the football and for them to be able to do that was extremely disappointing, and I just didn’t think we played with the same effort as what I had seen earlier in the season.”

Keep in mind that Pettine was never really LaFleur's guy. If Pettine wasn't forced on LaFleur, it was probably darned close. It was probably a good idea so that LaFleur could focus more on the offense. But I'm sure he's got some ideas about guys he thinks would be a good DC.

esoxx
01-22-2020, 12:10 PM
LaFleur deserves his own choice of defensive coordinator. I get why the Packers preferred keeping Pettine for some continuity on that side of the ball, but after that performance with everything on the line, all bets are off.

Freak Out
01-22-2020, 12:19 PM
Pettine needs to be fired. Let M4 hire his own guy....if that happens to be Wade then so be it. I'd kinda prefer to see a younger guy hired though.

SudsMcBucky
01-22-2020, 12:23 PM
Pettine needs to be fired. Let M4 hire his own guy....if that happens to be Wade then so be it. I'd kinda prefer to see a younger guy hired though.

As long as it's not Jim Leonhard.

George Cumby
01-22-2020, 12:26 PM

The part about the younger mind makes a lot of sense.

The times they are a'changin'.

ThunderDan
01-22-2020, 12:28 PM
Why the hell was everyone on the ground? In this case, Fackrell.

There were so many front 7 players on the turf, I’d buy a team scheduling problem like we thought versus San Diego.

https://twitter.com/fourverts/status/1220029894396084225?s=21

Fackrell really screwed the pooch on that play. If he could have stoned his blocker or gotten a draw that is 4th down and not a TD.

Carolina_Packer
01-22-2020, 12:41 PM
I'm a bit surprised they didn't consider bringing back Wilkerson again, unless he still had injury concerns. I'm not throwing them under the bus, because they were just taking advantage of their opportunity, but I think we need better guys next to Clark than Lowry and Lancaster, and Montravius Adams has had his chance to distinguish himself, and seems just average. More competition would be good. They also need a sideline to sideline ILB. I like Martinez's motor, but I think he's limited. Goodson and Burks are OK, but not difference makers.

It's amazing how much better a coach's scheme looks with better players. See Jets and Ravens under Pettine.

pbmax
01-22-2020, 01:37 PM
I'm a bit surprised they didn't consider bringing back Wilkerson again, unless he still had injury concerns. I'm not throwing them under the bus, because they were just taking advantage of their opportunity, but I think we need better guys next to Clark than Lowry and Lancaster, and Montravius Adams has had his chance to distinguish himself, and seems just average. More competition would be good. They also need a sideline to sideline ILB. I like Martinez's motor, but I think he's limited. Goodson and Burks are OK, but not difference makers.

It's amazing how much better a coach's scheme looks with better players. See Jets and Ravens under Pettine.

There are definite talent gaps. But 280 yards is 280 yards. And this spread to run offense isn't new like Harbaugh/Roman/Kaepernick was in 2013.

pbmax
01-22-2020, 03:18 PM
They are on to 2020 together. That was kinda fast.

Rob Demovsky
Mike Pettine will return as Packers defensive coordinator, sources told ESPN.com. He met with coach Matt LaFleur after LaFleur’s season wrap-up press conference on Wednesday and they’re moving forward together for Year 2. es.pn/2GcRgC3

call_me_ishmael
01-22-2020, 03:48 PM
Wow, consider me shocked given the quotes and non-committal attitude. I _think_ he deserves another chance as I tend to have a longer leash than some, but I am shocked after that presser that he is back.

George Cumby
01-22-2020, 03:57 PM
Welp.

Gute needs to get him some bigger, faster, stronger horses.

Joemailman
01-22-2020, 04:12 PM
I'm okay with the decision. However, I do wonder what happened between LaFleur's PC this morning, when he would not commit to keeping Pettine, and the decision to keep him.

George Cumby
01-22-2020, 04:17 PM
I'm okay with the decision. However, I do wonder what happened between LaFleur's PC this morning, when he would not commit to keeping Pettine, and the decision to keep him.

Good point.

Is it possible that Murphy is meddling in those decisions?

Joemailman
01-22-2020, 04:28 PM
Good point.

Is it possible that Murphy is meddling in those decisions?

Possible. My hope though is that LaFleur, Murphy ad Gutey discussed it and came to a consensus that this was the way to go. Ultimately though, it should be LaFleur's decision. An assistant coach should not be forced on him.

Smidgeon
01-22-2020, 04:33 PM
They are on to 2020 together. That was kinda fast.

Rob Demovsky
Mike Pettine will return as Packers defensive coordinator, sources told ESPN.com. He met with coach Matt LaFleur after LaFleur’s season wrap-up press conference on Wednesday and they’re moving forward together for Year 2. es.pn/2GcRgC3

Must've had a convincing argument...

pbmax
01-22-2020, 06:31 PM
Must've had a convincing argument...

It was like 3-4 hours. I almost suspect the decision was made previous to the PC, because that is not nearly enough time to make a considered decision.

Then the PC today was just to announce he wasn't pleased and was considering all options

run pMc
01-23-2020, 09:38 AM
It was like 3-4 hours. I almost suspect the decision was made previous to the PC, because that is not nearly enough time to make a considered decision.

Then the PC today was just to announce he wasn't pleased and was considering all options

In which case, MLF's mind was likely made up already, but he was giving Pettine a warning shot that the run D needs to improve, which was no surprise before the NFCC game.

pbmax
01-23-2020, 10:27 AM
In which case, MLF's mind was likely made up already, but he was giving Pettine a warning shot that the run D needs to improve, which was no surprise before the NFCC game.

Right.

If he really just needed 2-3 hours to think about it, I really question the process.

However, these year end reviews are always hasty. Do they really have an entire physical workout program mapped out for players by Tuesday after the last game? Maybe if you are not in contention; but if you are in the playoffs?

Same with reviewing film and coaches. I suspect you can go over the top level stuff, but would be hard to get into detail about the whole year.

RashanGary
01-23-2020, 12:43 PM
Maybe he was just so focused on the season that he didnt have time to consider all off season decisions, so instead of lying and saying he made a decision he just gave a genetic answer that he.needs to consider everything

pbmax
01-23-2020, 05:52 PM
Maybe he was just so focused on the season that he didnt have time to consider all off season decisions, so instead of lying and saying he made a decision he just gave a genetic answer that he.needs to consider everything

I'd buy that. But then why an announcement less than 4 hours later?

pbmax
01-23-2020, 06:39 PM
Rob Demovsky on The Flower's PC. I will buy the line of thinking the headline implies if they start letting veterans on Defense go like Gutey trading Montgomery and Dix.

Packers coach Matt LaFleur bothered by team's lack of fire vs. 49ers (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28538045)

George Cumby
01-23-2020, 07:29 PM
Well, a lack of fire for a game of that magnitude is a reflection of culture. A large part of the responsibility of which lies at the HC's feet, no?

GB-Brandon
01-23-2020, 08:09 PM
I’m sorry. When you consider all the draft capital used and all the $ spent on this defense and put into context how big this game was he should be gone. Smells like Mark Murphy.

They threw the ball 8 times and rushed for 285 yards at almost 7 yards a carry. They broke records in such a game. There RB was running through holes you could drive a pick up through.

Yes, Lancaster and Lowry aren’t run stopping cornerstones and way too much was put on Martinez’s plate but Pettine put the failed game plan together and didn’t have these guys playing with much urgency. He left talent sitting on the bench with Raven Greene and Rashan Gary. This Pettine has advocated he can run 4-3 and 3-4 schemes so for this to be his best game plan is past embarrassing.

I heard similar complaints about him when he was at Cleveland from Browns fans so hoping this doesn’t become a trend during the end of our window with AR12.

IMO Wade Phillips would of been the perfect fit.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-23-2020, 11:52 PM
If the Packers can get Wade Philips, I say go for it.

Phillips? Not to sound like an ageist, but Phillips fought in the War For Southern Independence along side my foe, the Kentucky (KYPack).

Not saying, and again, not to sound like an ageist, hire a baby-faced kid like Jim Leonhard. But we need someone younger and hipper than Phillips.

Al Harris, yo.

Btw, Nutz, you coach football. What the fuck is the Pistol Force Defense?

wist43
01-24-2020, 01:21 AM
We're still lacking horses up front on defense.

We have 1 NFL caliber starter on the DL - Clark. Everyone else is strictly rotation/replaceable.

Add to that a mediocre at best MLB, and you're left with just doing the best you can.

That said, the defense made great strides this year... overall, I'm encouraged.

Tony Oday
01-24-2020, 06:45 AM
Martinez gets a bad rap, he is always shedding blocks, get him a Ngata infront of him like Lewis had and he could be awesome.

Joemailman
01-24-2020, 06:57 AM
Martinez gets a bad rap, he is always shedding blocks, get him a Ngata infront of him like Lewis had and he could be awesome.

Given how light Pettine likes to go with his alignments, Martinez might just not be the right guy for this defense.

pbmax
01-24-2020, 07:18 AM
Well, a lack of fire for a game of that magnitude is a reflection of culture. A large part of the responsibility of which lies at the HC's feet, no?

If its literally true, that people weren't doing their all, then yes, they have allowed some of the wrong people on the team.

But from the live game and the half dozen or so clips, it sure looks like technique upfront and speed were the problems. And The Flower probably doesn't want to name the GM in Year 1. That is my guess.

pbmax
01-24-2020, 07:23 AM

I am not sure he sheds enough of them, fast enough, for this defense.

I suspect Pettine (in the 3 DL run heavy run D) wants Lancaster and Lowry to stack their guy and hold a gap. But he would prefer everyone one else to get close to the backfield to make them harder to close off with blocking.

GB-Brandon
01-24-2020, 08:00 AM
They have been building the defense from back to front for years and it just hasn’t made much sense. Nothing against Northwestern but I don’t ever remember them as some football factory for producing D-Linaman.