PDA

View Full Version : Packers Lose DB Coach

pbmax
01-24-2020, 08:15 PM
Tom Silverstein
Can confirm that #Packers DBs coach Jason Simmons is headed to Carolina to join his former college DC Phil Snow. Packers are lining up candidates to replace him.

Patler
01-25-2020, 05:23 PM
Tom Silverstein
Can confirm that #Packers DBs coach Jason Simmons is headed to Carolina to join his former college DC Phil Snow. Packers are lining up candidates to replace him.

Interesting. Simmons has been in GB a long time, and was promoted by LaFleur last off season to his last position.

While assistant coaches often work under 1 year contracts, they are almost forced into annual extensions in the off seasons before their contracts expire. If the team doesn't offer an extension, or the coach doesn't sign it, you have the uneasy year like Alex VanPelt had his last year in GB.

Since they rarely are free agents, an assistant from a continuing staff gets to leave only when the team doesn't care if they leave, especially on a lateral move like this appears.

call_me_ishmael
01-25-2020, 11:50 PM
Kris Richards is available. Just sayin'. Time to make our own Earl Thomas out of the Missle.

Joemailman
01-26-2020, 07:10 AM
Interesting. Simmons has been in GB a long time, and was promoted by LaFleur last off season to his last position.

While assistant coaches often work under 1 year contracts, they are almost forced into annual extensions in the off seasons before their contracts expire. If the team doesn't offer an extension, or the coach doesn't sign it, you have the uneasy year like Alex VanPelt had his last year in GB.

Since they rarely are free agents, an assistant from a continuing staff gets to leave only when the team doesn't care if they leave, especially on a lateral move like this appears.

Simmons had been in Green Bay a long time, but his position as DB coach this year was a major step up. His previous positions had been assistant special teams coach, defensive/special teams assistant and coaching administrator. Perhaps the Packers felt he was not up to it. The catastrophic failure of the Packes run defense against the 49ers might make people forget that for about half the season, the Packers endured some real problems with their defensive secondary play.

Joemailman
01-26-2020, 07:15 AM
Kris Richards is available. Just sayin'. Time to make our own Earl Thomas out of the Missle.

That would be a great pickup if it happened. He might be looking for a DC job though.

pbmax
01-26-2020, 08:31 AM
That would be a great pickup if it happened. He might be looking for a DC job though.

It would be a bit odd. He's overqualified and was a co-DC last year (he called the defense). He would likely be a short timer.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-26-2020, 09:34 AM
I've sent an email to LaFluer, to express my interest in the vacancy. Fingers crossed. Here's a copy of the email:

TO: mattlafluer@packers.com

S'up Frog,

My name is Tank Elf Duke. As a shutdown corner in high school, I shut down Wisconsin's best WR, Darren Charles. David v Goliath all over again, yo.

If not for discrimination, prejudice and racism, I would've balled at a D-1 school. Alvarez personally told me, "Look kid, you act hip hop and shit, but as far as I can tell, you're just a Siberian nigga. D-1 ain't no place for short, pale corners!"

My major expertise is, I've mastered the arts of the shutdown corner. I ain't give fucks about shit like the Pistol Force. I'm all bout preaching shutdownism!

King ain't as good as he and a whole lotta uncool Pack fans think he is. In fact, King sucks so abominably, he makes Micah Hyde look like Charles Woodson.

Give me a shot at working with King, and I bet my entire salary I will morph King into a fucking shutdown corner next season.

Speaking of salary, as someone who currently makes the federal minimum-wage, I'd be jolly with a starting annual salary of $50,000.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Peace,

Tank Elf Duke

Joemailman
01-26-2020, 09:54 AM
So we got candidates:

Kris Richard

Tank Elf Duke

Richard did not shut down Darren Charles, but he was drafted in he 3rd round of the NFl Draft. As a coach in Seattle he was 8-2 against Kaepernick's 49ers.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2020, 10:48 AM
I've sent an email to LaFluer, to express my interest in the vacancy. Fingers crossed. Here's a copy of the email:

S'up Frog,

Ny name is Tank Elf Duke. As a shutdown corner in high school, I shut down Wisconsin's best WR, Darren Charles. David v Goliath all over again, yo.

If not for discrimination, prejudice and racism, I would've balled at a D-1 school. Alvarez personally told me, "Look kid, you act hip hop and shit, but as far as I can tell, you're just a Siberian nigga. D-1 ain't no place for short, pale corners!"

My major expertise is, I've mastered the arts of the shutdown corner. I ain't give fucks about shit like the Pistol Force. I'm all bout preaching shutdownism!

King ain't as good as he and a whole lotta uncool Pack fans think he is. In fact, King sucks so abominably, he makes Micah Hyde look like Charles Woodson.

Give me a shot at working with King, and I bet my entire salary I will morph King into a fucking shutdown corner next season.

Speaking of salary, as someone who currently makes the federal minimum-wage, I'd be jolly with a starting annual salary of $50,000.

Peace,

Tank Elf Duke

I guess you mean if you made $50,000, you'd be johnny jolly?

Anti-Polar Bear
01-26-2020, 11:14 AM
I guess you mean if you made $50,000, you'd be johnny jolly?

As jolly as Johnny Jolly high on the purple drank. :)

Something is fucked up when a chick holds bachelors in accounting and economics and passed the CPA exams, and she’s making the federal minimum wage. :x

Anti-Polar Bear
01-26-2020, 11:19 AM
So we got candidates:

Kris Richard

Tank Elf Duke

Richard did not shut down Darren Charles, but he was drafted in he 3rd round of the NFl Draft. As a coach in Seattle he was 8-2 against Kaepernick's 49ers.

He had the Legion of Boom and Wagner. Bob Slowik could achieve the same kind of success with that kind of personal.

I would make King a shutdown corner.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2020, 11:46 AM
As jolly as Johnny Jolly high on the purple drank. :)

Something is fucked up when a chick holds bachelors in accounting and economics and passed the CPA exams, and she’s making the federal minimum wage. :x

You're saying you're a chick? Wow, that's a revelation!

esoxx
01-26-2020, 12:01 PM

He identifies as non-binary.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-26-2020, 12:03 PM

Well, if you had read between the lines in my other posts, hip surgery is code word for sex change.

No, actually, sometimes I prefer the word she over he. I am what I am.

Ex: Tim Tebow, to paraphrase awesome Coldplay: Don’t ever say you’re on your way down when God gave you style and SHE gave you grace. SHE put a smile upon your face.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2020, 01:20 PM
uh ...... ok, whatever

run pMc
01-27-2020, 09:01 AM
headed to Carolina to join his former college DC Phil Snow
I took this as his contract was up and he got a chance to work with a college buddy. Not sure it's a big loss, actually...the secondary was better thanks to health and actual safeties. Was he a good coach?

Tank - liked the letter. Hope you get an interview.

SudsMcBucky
01-27-2020, 01:12 PM

S'up Frog,

My name is Tank Elf Duke. As a shutdown corner in high school, I shut down Wisconsin's best WR, Darren Charles. David v Goliath all over again, yo.

Peace,

Tank Elf Duke

If that letter doesn't land you the job, I'll have lost all faith in the GBP organization.

Patler
01-28-2020, 12:23 AM
Simmons had been in Green Bay a long time, but his position as DB coach this year was a major step up. His previous positions had been assistant special teams coach, defensive/special teams assistant and coaching administrator. Perhaps the Packers felt he was not up to it.

Ya, that's what I was hinting at. LaFleur promoted him, but didn't seemingly let him go easily.

gbgary
01-28-2020, 11:22 AM
they could move tramon there if he/they are so inclined.

Patler
01-28-2020, 01:42 PM
Ya, that's what I was hinting at. LaFleur promoted him, but didn't seemingly let him go easily.

To clarify, I intend to write; "LaFleur promoted him, but then seemingly let him go easily."

Smidgeon
01-28-2020, 03:05 PM
Packers Gain DB Coach:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/28/report-packers-hiring-jerry-gray-to-coach-secondary/

gbgary
01-28-2020, 04:10 PM
jerry gray then.

Joemailman
01-28-2020, 06:29 PM
jerry gray then.

This is a very good move. Jerry Gray has always been a respected coach, including stints as a DC. 2 of his years with Buffalo they had one of the top defenses in the NFL.

Rastak
01-28-2020, 07:41 PM
This is a very good move. Jerry Gray has always been a respected coach, including stints as a DC. 2 of his years with Buffalo they had one of the top defenses in the NFL.Agree. was a good hire.

call_me_ishmael
01-28-2020, 10:40 PM
I could have sworn that name was floated around as a Capers replacement at one point in time.

Joemailman
01-29-2020, 01:17 AM
I could have sworn that name was floated around as a Capers replacement at one point in time.

It was either that, or he was interviewed when they had the DC opening that Capers got.

pbmax
01-29-2020, 07:22 AM

He was.

Bretsky
01-29-2020, 09:18 AM
He was.

This is a great hire !! He's led some very good defenses and has great credentials. If I were a head coach and could load up my staff with well respected experienced guys who might even be overqualified I would. That is what Matty got here

Bretsky
02-01-2020, 06:46 AM
This is a great hire !! He's led some very good defenses and has great credentials. If I were a head coach and could load up my staff with well respected experienced guys who might even be overqualified I would. That is what Matty got here

Am I the only one thinking Jerry will be our next DC ?

pbmax
02-01-2020, 09:17 AM
Am I the only one thinking Jerry will be our next DC ?

Its a good question. He was a popular interview for a while but that could have been Rooney Rule influenced. He could be a Dungy in waiting.

mraynrand
02-01-2020, 09:23 AM
Its a good question. He was a popular interview for a while but that could have been Rooney Rule influenced. He could be a Dungy in waiting.

His track record suggests he's a Ray Rhodes who has not been overly Peter Principled. It's OK if he's not coordinator or HC material, so long as he can teach his craft.

pbmax
02-01-2020, 09:47 AM
His track record suggests he's a Ray Rhodes who has not been overly Peter Principled. It's OK if he's not coordinator or HC material, so long as he can teach his craft.

Wow, his defenses as DC were all over the map, mostly bad.

Improvement in Buffalo for 2 season then 2 very good Defenses. But stint in Tennessee was brutal. Was a bad time to be with the Titans.

He's worked for Fisher, Gregg Williams, Joe Gibbs and Zimmer. Also Murlarkey and Munchak. He's seen it all.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/GrayJe0.htm

mraynrand
02-01-2020, 01:30 PM
Wow, his defenses as DC were all over the map, mostly bad.

Improvement in Buffalo for 2 season then 2 very good Defenses. But stint in Tennessee was brutal. Was a bad time to be with the Titans.

He's worked for Fisher, Gregg Williams, Joe Gibbs and Zimmer. Also Murlarkey and Munchak. He's seen it all.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/GrayJe0.htm

He followed Chuck Cecil in TN. Cecil worked for no one but Fisher, and not so well as DC. I suspect this Grey is a really good defensive backs/technique coach and the coordinator stuff was too much for him. Bet Fisher compensated for him like he did for Cecil. Wonder about his ability to teach communication, but Pettine is supposed to be really good at that (that was the word in Cleveland) so they should be good. Definitely need someone to teach great technique.

Im wondered about Simmons. Had dinner with him at the McCarthy thing a few years back. nice enough guy, but has a huge family and you could tell he had split loyalties. If you want to excel as an NFL coach, your family better be fine on the back burner.