PDA

View Full Version : Official Jace Sternberger Bandwagon Thread

Joemailman
01-30-2020, 02:16 PM
My top candidate for a breakout year in 2020.

https://www.packers.com/news/versatility-adds-to-jace-sternberger-s-long-term-upside

"The flexibility he gives us, obviously he's got a lot of speed that can stretch the seam," Gutekunst said during his season-ending news conference last week. "He's a matchup problem for linebackers and safeties. At the end there, you saw Matt put him in the backfield and move him around a little bit. I think that's what you're going to see with Jace. I think he can be one of those guys as he develops where he can play from a lot of different places."

The reps rose near the end of the season and Sternberger made them count. He played a career-high 28 snaps against Seattle in the divisional playoff and caught two passes for 13 yards and a touchdown in 11 snaps against San Francisco in the NFC Championship Game.

His 8-yard TD in the fourth quarter came off a scramble play in which he broke free from acclaimed 49ers linebacker Fred Warner prior to quarterback Aaron Rodgers finding the rookie in the back of the end zone.

Veteran Marcedes Lewis saw a night-and-day difference in Sternberger after his midseason return, with the rookie's play down the stretch reflecting how far he's come.

"Jace, as far as mentally, he took a big step," Lewis said. "Early on, when he got in here, he just didn't really know. He didn't understand. Then, he got injured and his head was out of it for a little bit. But getting back in and taking the bull by the horns, he really honed his craft and figured out what his role is and what it's going to be on this team."

"Jace does not flinch and he'll throw his face in there," LaFleur said late in the regular season. "I think he's grown on all of us. It took him a minute to get going, but I see improvement every day from him. I love his intent when he goes out there on the field. He is very purposeful in what he wants to accomplish each and every day and it's showing."

https://i.redd.it/cpiymy1d5uu21.jpg

Bretsky
01-30-2020, 02:55 PM
My top candidate for a breakout year in 2020.

https://i.redd.it/cpiymy1d5uu21.jpg

I hope you are right Joe !!

If they expect him to step forward there is no reason to keep Jimmy and we can use that8 mil elsewhere.

I think we'll get an indication how much they like him by what they do with the Jimmy

Joemailman
01-30-2020, 03:13 PM
I hope you are right Joe !!

If they expect him to step forward there is no reason to keep Jimmy and we can use that8 mil elsewhere.

I think we'll get an indication how much they like him by what they do with the Jimmy

I'll be surprised if Graham is back. Sternberger was drafted to replace Graham, although they probably thought they'd have another year with Graham. Wouldn't be surprised if the sign a lower priced FA TE and/or draft one in the middle/late rounds.

George Cumby
01-30-2020, 03:23 PM
Fuck Graham.

I’m onboard the Sternengine.

hoosier
01-30-2020, 03:31 PM
Loaded diaper and all, here we go!

run pMc
01-30-2020, 04:19 PM
If only Jake Stoneburner had panned out, the TEs could be Sternberger & Stoneburner, and everyone would butcher their names.

Seriously, I have high hopes for the kid. I thought he outplayed Tonyan by the end of the year. I agree with Joe -- I could see them bring back Lewis or sign a solid, cheap vet and draft a mid-round guy to push Tonyan (assuming he comes back).
Graham is done. I don't see how Gute can justify the contract (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/tight-end/) with the production (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/te/2019)

(BTW, after looking at the contracts vs. production, yikes. There are only about 5 TEs worth big money. Graham ain't one of them.)

Consider me on the bandwagon.

Bretsky
01-30-2020, 04:33 PM
I AM ON THE WAGON.....but can it be conditional on Jimmy leaving ? Cause if Jimmy stays it'll just slow Jake's development down a year

texaspackerbacker
01-30-2020, 06:24 PM
I hope ya'all are right about Sternberger, but I sure haven't been impressed by him up to now. I came around to the view we should unload Graham quite a while ago. Tonyan hasn't looked like much either. Lewis is what he is - good blocker but very limited in what he can do. I'm thinking we need to either get lucky with a 4th - 6th round TE or sign somebody who decent - unlikely for either, or just sort of write off the TE position as no better than last year - make max use of WRs. We did have 14 wins that way, and we should be way better at WR next season.

pbmax
01-30-2020, 07:42 PM
I hope ya'all are right about Sternberger, but I sure haven't been impressed by him up ton.

You did not like his TD? :D

texaspackerbacker
01-30-2020, 09:12 PM

By that logic, MVS is already a superstar hahahahaha.

Bretsky
01-30-2020, 09:14 PM
By that logic, MVS is already a superstar hahahahaha.

On the bright side Sternberger was injured most of the year

MVS was invisible as well but he was healthy

run pMc
01-30-2020, 09:41 PM

I liked his chirping at Clowney in the SEA playoff game. :) The SF TD wasn't bad -- suggests he might catch on to Rodgers scramble drill.
He's blocking improved thru the year - he's already better and more consistent there than Tonyan.

So Greg Olson and CAR are cutting ties - I wondered for a split second if he would be a suitable replacement for Lewis/Graham, but then discarded him as likely overpriced and way over the hill. I'd rather they chase Austin Hooper, although I honestly think they could just find a cheapo blocking TE type and let the WRs carry the passing game. Sternberger has promise to help and with the pick they spent they will give him chances.

Agree drafting another TE in the mid/late rounds wouldn't hurt. 10 TEs had over 600 yards receiving (Olson at #11 had 597) , with Rodgers at QB the #3 WR or Aaron Jones should be nearing that.