PDA

View Full Version : Alvis Whitted Fired

pbmax
01-30-2020, 07:44 PM
Someone had to pay.

Tom Silverstein
Can confirm @RobDemovsky that #Packers WRs coach Alvis Whitted was let go. Coach Matt LaFleur let him know last week and word leaked out today that he had made the move. He'll be on the lookout for someone new next week.

Vincenzo
01-30-2020, 07:46 PM
Ya he stunk to high heavens. Blame it all on him.

Joemailman
01-30-2020, 08:02 PM
Don't know how much was his fault. However, the regression of Allison and MVS couldn't have helped his cause.

run pMc
01-30-2020, 09:20 PM
WWM3D? (What would M3 do?)

The WRs did worse this year than last, statistically. I assume Whitted was a MLF choice & not Hackett's, so I have to think there where things going on beyond just the stats that MLF didn't like.
Finding someone who can develop these young WRs is important.

pbmax
01-30-2020, 09:35 PM
They blocked like their life depended on it though.

call_me_ishmael
01-30-2020, 09:49 PM
Honestly, I have no problem with this. Wasn't M3 criticized for being too loyal to assistants? I'm happy to see more turnover like this. Top notch talent or poor talent - they were awful and something needed to change.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-31-2020, 03:10 AM

The WRs did worse this year than last, statistically. I assume Whitted was a MLF choice & not Hackett's, so I have to think there where things going on beyond just the stats that MLF didn't like.

There wasn’t anything to develop. A wanker is a wanker is a wanker. MVS is a one trick pony with the IQ of Tony O’Day. Sloth is a sloth, as his 8 yards a pop proved. As for Kum, if you’ve seen the Netflix series “Messiah”, you’ll know that Jesus was actually moorish, not pale-skinned. Lazard was inconsistent.

Suffice it to say, Whitted was a scapegoat for German Shepherd’s failure to draft DK Metcalf.

MadtownPacker
01-31-2020, 08:47 AM
Bring in Donald Driver, Super Bowl and Dancing with the Stars champion. Leadership and fancy footwork shown by someone who earned everything the hard way.

Radagast
01-31-2020, 09:06 AM
Donald Driver was a great player. However that does not always translate into a great coach.

As great a Bart Starr was as a player, he never excelled as GB's HC. HC LaFleur and GM Gutekunst will work together as the professionals they are to hire the best position coaches that they can. If Driver is hired, it will be because he is highly qualified and not because he was a great player.

Whitted may or may not have been some of the blame for this past seasons poor performances at WR/TE. The WRs (Adams excluded) were hit or miss and could not be depended upon on every play. Along with a new WR coach, I expect to see wholesale personnel changes at WR and TE moving forward.

mraynrand
01-31-2020, 11:02 AM
Bring in Donald Driver, Super Bowl and Dancing with the Stars champion. Leadership and fancy footwork shown by someone who earned everything the hard way.

yes he did, even when he had to steal it.

texaspackerbacker
01-31-2020, 11:47 AM
What's that supposed to mean?

woodbuck27
01-31-2020, 05:42 PM
We need receivers that can run routes and get open.

Joemailman
01-31-2020, 05:45 PM
We need receivers that can run routes and get open.

Interesting theory.

mraynrand
01-31-2020, 06:45 PM
Interesting theory.

:-)

RashanGary
01-31-2020, 10:00 PM
They blocked like their life depended on it though.

Was fun to watch that aspect of the game. As I get oldrt, I appreciate blocking more and more

Vincenzo
02-01-2020, 12:50 AM
Donald Driver was a great player. However that does not always translate into a great coach.

As great a Bart Starr was as a player, he never excelled as GB's HC. HC LaFleur and GM Gutekunst will work together as the professionals they are to hire the best position coaches that they can. If Driver is hired, it will be because he is highly qualified and not because he was a great player.

Whitted may or may not have been some of the blame for this past seasons poor performances at WR/TE. The WRs (Adams excluded) were hit or miss and could not be depended upon on every play. Along with a new WR coach, I expect to see wholesale personnel changes at WR and TE moving forward.
It’s true man, we need a new coach at that position.

pbmax
02-01-2020, 09:13 AM
What's that supposed to mean?

You do know that wikipedia exists, right tex?

When Donald's family was homeless, he and his brother committed theft and sold drugs to, ah, "earn" money. When he was 14 he moved in with his grandmother and things began to change.

mraynrand
02-01-2020, 09:15 AM
You do know that wikipedia exists, right tex?

When Donald's family was homeless, he and his brother committed theft and sold drugs to, ah, "earn" money. When he was 14 he moved in with his grandmother and things began to change.

one new year's resolution was to ignore his ignorant, lazy questions and let him look stuff up for himself. Don't be an enabler.

pbmax
02-01-2020, 09:39 AM
one new year's resolution was to ignore his ignorant, lazy questions and let him look stuff up for himself. Don't be an enabler.

Fair point.

But sometimes I need the reminding too. :D

pbmax
02-01-2020, 09:40 AM
Someone had to pay.

A hustle here and a hustle there ...

mraynrand
02-01-2020, 01:56 PM
A hustle here and a hustle there ...

looking for soul food and a place to eat

https://images.genius.com/0c07d32112ad3e6e3d5de04613af3c30.1000x600x1.jpg

gbgary
02-02-2020, 04:04 PM

after just one season. i'll bet it was a personality/politics thing. MLF is clearly very...flexible and PC football wise. guessing whitted kept pointing out his guys were getting open and it didn't set well with...some.

mraynrand
02-02-2020, 04:26 PM
guessing whitted kept pointing out his guys were getting open and it didn't set well with...some.

If he were saying that, it wouldn't set well with me either, because it ain't so. Lotta times, no one was getting open.

pbmax
02-02-2020, 06:39 PM
after just one season. i'll bet it was a personality/politics thing. MLF is clearly very...flexible and PC football wise. guessing whitted kept pointing out his guys were getting open and it didn't set well with...some.

Maybe they should run the correct route?

Schroeder and Janis were always open too.

Bretsky
02-02-2020, 08:52 PM
Could we hire Jordy Nelson as a Player/Coach ? I still think he's better than a few we have

pbmax
02-02-2020, 09:12 PM
Could we hire Jordy Nelson as a Player/Coach ? I still think he's better than a few we have

Ted Williams says it doesn’t always work that way.

gbgary
02-03-2020, 09:57 AM
If he were saying that, it wouldn't set well with me either, because it ain't so. Lotta times, no one was getting open.

right :roll:. sometimes sure but ben fennell and others, who break down the film, troy, have pointed out that the guys are initially open but the ball doesn't come out. then the hold-the-ball extend-the-play yada takes place. the exact opposite of what MLF wants.

mraynrand
02-03-2020, 10:30 AM
right :roll:. sometimes sure but ben fennell and others, who break down the film, troy, have pointed out that the guys are initially open but the ball doesn't come out. then the hold-the-ball extend-the-play yada takes place. the exact opposite of what MLF wants.

I watch film too. This is an issue of percentages. As in, how often does Rodgers look past the initial window for something else. How often does he tunnel vision on the primary (Adams) versus the secondary. How often do the other guys pick up reads on coverage and adjust. Certainly I don't see all of that, but I can see guys when they're covered, and when they have a step. Generally, the receivers aren't getting tons of separation. Allison and Graham generally look like they are running in wet cement. But I also think the second key area is route adjustment and catch reliability. That killed MVS. So you're left with Adams, Jones, and a rookie FA WR. Is Rodgers more tentative because of this? sure. Because of his declining skills (accuracy, arm strength, running ability, and throwing on the run)? Yep, that too.

But sorry if I don't agree that Rodgers is the main problem because he "won't throw the ball to open guys." That claim is simply absurd on it's face, if that's what you really believe. Not on this team, with this team's skill level. I do still agree he needs more buy in with the system, but that system needs more skilled players to work.